PORCH #1126 IS NOW CLOSED (4/10/19)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Apr 10, 2019.

ProHealth CBD Store
  1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids, nothing to watch on TV. Spent some time with the cat. Read some more of a
    William Goldman book on the writing of screenplays.

Mikie, I asked Gordon about the green onion pancake. He said it is a dish from *
    Northern China where wheat is the predominate grain. this was an experiment
    as i've never had it before. it can be eaten as a snack/breakfast. didn't find it exciting
    and most likely will not have it again. i might try making it to see if there is a
    difference in flavor. it's not served with gravy. chinese dishes can be made with a
    sauce but a separate gravy over food is an American business.

*Gordon was passing by. He took over the rest of the above paragraph.

I'm surprised to read that Costco sells fish that are battered and bruised. Maybe the
    delivery truck was in an accident.

Gordon and I just watched a Match Game marathon. One of the guest panelists was
    the guy who played Horshack in Welcome Back, Kotter, a program from the 70s
    that starred John Travolta.

Granni, glad to hear you escaped the storm damage. As did we here. We used to buy
    turkeys and ham, but stopped some time back. Gordon won't eat turkey, and I somehow
    developed an allergy to it. Gordon sometimes buys a slice or two of ham for himself.
    I can't chew much anymore. But I can still chew soup and ice cream. What kind of
    sports car does SIL have?

Barry, hope all the animals are your ranch are in good health. As well as you and
    Richard. Ah, I hear voices in the garden. One of Gordon's friends from the orchid
    club stopped by. He will probably buy a couple plants. Gordon will give him some too.

Gonna go lie down and read a bit. Hugs to all you nice people and your pets as well.

Rock

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019 at 3:31 PM
    bct and Mikie like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

I lost the whole first paragraph of my post. Rats!

I have my eye pressure check this coming week. If it isn't the cataracts making my vision worse, I'll have to wait six months for a new eyeglass prescription. I also need to stop in at my bank. My mortgage has always taken two payments a month. Now, they are only taking one. I think I'm gonna pay off the condo. Sick of dealing with it.

Granni, that severe weather is scary. I remember when the tornadoes stuck close to me here. That was when Tweety was still living with me. She was strutting around issuing orders to SV and me. He stayed in the bathroom where I told them both to go but she was marching up and down the top of the bed yowling. OMG, they are showing the damage from the tornadoes on the TV news. Sometimes, we have so many posts that it's easy to miss getting in on a Porch before it's time to open a new one. I will do it if I have time but sometimes, I don't unless there are more than 40 posts. Once in a while, I'll open a new one when the posts pass 30. It just depends on what I have going on. Others can also open new Porches for us. I hope you and yours continue to stay safe.

Rock and Gordon, I know so much ethnic food is 'Americanized' and loses its authenticity. Most of us probably don't know the difference. Watched some guy named, Jamie on PBS. All the dishes he made had only five ingredients. They all looked yummy. He is very entertaining with his British accent and all the dramatic movements when he cooks. His cookbook is $35 on his web site but I found it cheaper on Amazon. I can deal with five ingredients. I try not to eat a lot of processed food but, at this stage, it's often either that or nothing. I try to fill in with healthy raw food. The fish isn't the only thing feeling battered. Feel as though I've been in a knock down drag out in a sleazy bar. We now have several stations which show old programs. I noticed Welcome Back Kotter on one of them. Not all those shows stand the test of time like Lucy. Don't know what I'd do without PBS.

Julie, I'm thinking of you and your family. Hope all is as well as it can be right now.

I've started another novel in the same series of one I just finished. They are OK but not great. When I'm this exhausted that I'm sick from it, I just want to keep my mind off of it in between naps. Sending wishes for energy and pain-free days to all our Porchies.

Love, Mikie

rockgor and bct like this.
  3. springwater

springwater Well-Known Member

well climate change or not the wea5her here is being as fickle as ...as..what? English weather. It was searing hot two days and it thundered lightninged rained in the night and is rumbling now.

Today is the first day of the Nepalese new year. Most people celebrate. I and DH dont. DD passed off an invitation to a do from a former classmate who now works in Australia but came back on vacation. she said the place was too swanky and high end and she didnt feel like meeting a classfriend friend among a melee of people she didnt know. One of her gang of girlfriends has a boyfriend and wanted to hangout with him, and the other is fed up of partying. So DD stayed home and cooked.

i visited some relatives whom i havent met in a while and thought i just cannot let more time pass before visiting. one does need to nurture persons who matter in your life. Had a lovely homemade wheatbread their with 9melette and a huge mug of tea and some carrot and cheese cake theyhappened to have in the fridge.

DS had a performance and a former classmate and close friendwho also lives in Australia had come. the friend is getting married soon. So he hung out with 5hem.

Mikie - sorry you have not been feeling well. 5here were days when i was feeling like something heavy was in my legs and my shoulders were tingling. and jangling 8n 5he ears. i did my alternative stuff b3fore it got worse.

i 5hink around early 90’s i used to watch Yan can Cook. it was such fun! He is very funny.

Rock - ive had potatoe pancake, its yum. Raw gratedpotato mixed 8n wheatflour. i guess rice pancake would have to be an acquired taste. Lucky Gordons friend. Buying new plants and getting some for free.

Granni - so glad the storm didnt hit your town. The weather is really going wild nowadays!

Barry - i watched a programme. on asiatv where the anchor 8nves5igates Chinas green energy plan. its not as rosy as it ismade out to be. vast amounts of toxic stuff still gett8ng generated. 8n some cases itstoo expensive to use green energy me5hods. But they showed Beijing and my, the air pollution...it was so dense! everyone going around 8n masks.

well, china seems to be a major source oftoxic fumes from manufacturing plants so....of course.

Hello to Julie, Star, dmc, Kim and thinking of Sun.

God bless

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019 at 7:58 PM
  4. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Good Saturday evening, friends! I've been thinking of Sun, and hoping things went well with her surgery.

Today was my dad's Celebration of Life service...visited with lots of family, had a wonderful meal served by some of our church ladies, and enjoyed a touching message from our pastor.

Rock and Sun, we used all of "your" songs, lol...Ghost Riders in the Sky, Lead Me Gently Home, and I'll fly away. Also included "Daddy's Hands"...for my baby brother, who said he used to think Dad's hands were so big when we were young children...but looked smaller the day he died.

My brother and his wife, from Texas, will be here until Tuesday...then I suppose things will "calm" down a bit. I just wanted to say Hello and see how everyone's doing. Will check in again when I can.

[​IMG]

5. rockgor

Hi Kids

Here's the latest news about my brother in Portland. Just got two e mails from him.
    One dated just before midnight and one dated just after midnight. I'm talking about the
    midnight that happened about 50 minutes ago.

The message is the same on both. He will shortly be sending various friends a report
    on the wolf pack center in Eli, Minnesota. Ach du Lieber!

Rock

springwater, bct and Starlight74 like this.
  6. rockgor

Morning, Folks

Watched two programs on TV. Can't even remember what one of them was. Well, I guess my
    brother is going ahead with his plan to leave his house to the Wolf Center. They can sell it and apply the funds to their facility. He didn't say a word about his health.

Julie, what a beautiful picture. I had never heard "Lead Me Gently Home" before. Found
    it on the net. Written in 1847. Wonderful hymn. Is your father standing in front of his farm in that picture? And who did the beautiful crochet work?

Glad to hear you had a nice service for Dad. Yes, I wonder if Sun had her surgery, and
    did everything go well.

Spring, no potatoes in Gordon's Chinese pancake. No rice either. Here are the ingred-
    ients: Flour, water, green part of the scallions, salt, 5 spice powder or whatever you like.
    Cooking instructions on the net. I wonder if Belgian Waffles are still popular here.
    They were new and exciting back in the 60s. Like Hippies and the Beetles. Happy
    New Year.

Mikie, Gordon has some cookbooks that have only 4 ingredients (or 5). He critiques
    cookbooks with a stern eye. "This isn't the way you make Chinese dumplings. Look
    at the stupid recipe. It says use unsalted butter. Also says add table spoon of salted
    butter. This isn't right...etc."

Does your Alexa tell jokes? I read Jimmy Fallon jokes are now incorporated into Alexa;
    or maybe just some Alexas.

Back to bed. Hugs, Rock

springwater, bct and Mikie like this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Sunday Morning, Kids,

Slept well and went to Publix for a paper. Decided to grab some Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches. Had that with some orange juice and my coffee. Tasted so good. Evidently the sprinklers went on last night so the problem appears to be fixed. Sometimes, the irrigation techs forget to turn the system back on after testing the sprinkler heads. Everyone seems to be so overwhelmed these days and forgetful. Is it these busy times we live in, constant bombardment with info, too much time on our phones and electronic gizmos or the general angst and antagonism of people? Could be all of the above. It ain't healthy I tell ya.

Julie, that is a beautiful container for your Dad's remains. Very distinguished and beautiful in a time honored kind of way. I think the containers we choose say so much about how we feel about our loved ones. DD and I selected the one for my Mom. Her name is Rose and we chose a wooden box that resembles a jewelry box. It is light wood and has a ribbon around it. The ribbon is printed with tiny pink flowers. The top is laser etched with roses and her name, date of birth and date of death. It sits on my dresser next to a beautiful picture of her when she was young. It is such a comfort to me. I love the flowers and pics of your Dad. It makes for a lovely dedication to him. So glad you stopped in and posted. I hope your Dad's service brought some comfort and peace to all who love him.

Spring, I'm glad you are better from whatever was making you feel so lousy. I'm generally doing OK but the fatigue is bone crushing. I'm laughing about a young person's being fed up with partying. Your kids sound so sensible and like really nice kids. I'm sure it's your influence. The thing that interested me in this new cook is how simple and yet tasty his dishes appear to be. I think I may get his cookbook for the five-ingredient dishes. He has other cookbooks too. He used red curry sauce in a chicken soup he made and I drooled. You are right about nurturing relationships. Despite the physical separation between me and my kids, we manage to be close. How's that ornery rescue doggie of yours? Has he been up to any new antics lately?

Rock, Alf was on MeTV when I got up. That's one old show that I still like to watch. Can't believe it's 30 years old. Their blue printed sofa from the 80's is almost identical to the ones I had in our family home. Looks so dated now. I'm laughing thinking about Gordon's critiquing the cooking books. I've not cooked in a while because I'm just too tired to do it and clean up afterward. With five ingredients, I think I can do it. His recipes are quick to fix too. Not much prep. I'm so glad your bro emailed you. After a stroke, people will often do things twice because they still get blocks of memory that don't connect. His brain is likely rewiring itself. Thank God our plastic brains can renew when injury occurs from strokes or trauma.

Yes, Alexa tells jokes. All I have to say is, "Alexa, tell me a joke." She deferred to Jimmy Fallon to tell the joke. Afterward, she asked whether I liked his joke and should she continue to let him tell them. She said I could specify her if I preferred her jokes. People are so upset because Amazon has been recording some random requests from Alexa in order to better understand what they want and how best to respond. The only time Alexa listens is when one invokes her name. Of course, it is possible for these gizmos to listen in but that's true of our TV's and other things in our homes. Phones and computers with malware can transmit videos and voice recordings too. The more conveniences we enjoy, the greater the possibility for abuse. There is nothing interesting going on here so I don't worry about it. I do keep my RFID credit cards in a little metal case so that hackers don't steal my info by just walking past me with a scanner. I show it at the Costco door and it goes into the little box until I check out. We have scanners on gas stations here and they steal info when people use their credit cards to buy gas. The sheriff has cracked down and fines gas stations that don't protect their pumps from the scanners. We have to be on our toes all the time.

I've written W&P here so will get going. Lots to do around here. Barb's kids should arrive today or tomorrow. I'll bring in their new mattress if it arrives before they do. Gonna read the paper and watch my Sunday shows. OMG! The chyron at the bottom of the TV screen reports that a naked man pooped in someone's yard down in Naples. I'm laughing because they are so snobbish down there. It's like if someone did that in Beverly Hills.

I hope everydobby is having a great weekend and that Sun is resting comfortably following her surgery.

Love, Mikie

8. Kimerella

Kimerella Member

Hello Everyone,

I've had some rough days and a couple of decent days. We've had to do some cooking to freeze, make tomato sauce...stuff like that. I have been doing a lot of reading. (Hi Mikie) And, also, listening to Audio books. It is so nice for me when my head hurts so much.

I had an appt with my Dr. All my numbers are good! This has been two years in the making. I am insulin resistant so I was pre-diabetic when I started with her. My glucose is just a little high, however, it is better than it's ever been.

Also, my angel Dr, was listening to info on mold. The knots all over my head are most likely caused by toxins in the muscles. (No wonder every Dr and dentist didnt know what to do) There is a compound of meds that can be injected into the knot that should help. I am hopeful. She has ordered the meds but it will be a few weeks for ins. and the compound pharmacy to get it to me.

Just a couple of notes...

My prayers are with you Julie.
    Prayers for you too Sun.
    My prayers are with all of you for peace and for healing.
    Yes, I have asked Alexa to tell me jokes and yes Jimmy Fallon is funny even when it is a very silly joke.

Oh I forgot I was going to tell you that we have had so much wildlife in our yard. Every spring we get lots of birds and squirrels, of course. This year we have not only had ducks but we have a pair of geese that find our yard a nice place for breakfast, sometimes lunch. We have to check the back yard before we let the dog out. So much fun.

Eyes and shoulders are telling me I need to go.

Love to all.

springwater, Mikie, bct and 1 other person like this.
  9. Starlight74

Starlight74 Well-Known Member

Julie, thanks for sharing.
    Lovely picture.
    Been wondering how you are getting on with sil.
    Hopefully all past gripes are past tense, esp during this special / honouring time.
    Take care.

Rock, barracking for someone or a team is to say you're backing them, cheering them on, so to speak.
    At least your bro is up and at 'em, hey?

Mikie, I was making orange jam out of our left over green tomatoes -and oranges, of course,
    Wben I read somewhere that Florida had loads of orange trees growing all over the place.
    That's interesting...but sour? Sorry you're feeling rubbish.
    Me too.
    Was my back and neck for the past couple of weeks (& head),but now my legs are Rediculously bad.
    Oh well. Trying to b grateful that I can feel them.
    And walk.

Granni, liked your description of sil.champagne taste with beer pocketbook. Funny.

Spring, our weatber is helter skelter, like yours.
    Just pulled up a heap of nasturtiums for the guinea pigs and planted broad beans there,
    after murdering heaps of snails tbat had claimed the nasturtiums as home.

Barry, very rarely is there ang 'good' news on the news.
    Apparently our recycling lrogram is a bit of a farce.in many ways.
    Just looks good on the surface.

G'day to Sun, Kim and Duck and All Porchies.

Dh turned 41 yesterday.
    Yes I am a cradle snatcher...
    Or cougar?
    Na.only 4 yrs

Time to try and numb this pain and try and sleep.Again.

Sweet dreams folks.

Take care and
    Catch yas later

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Just stopping in after finishing my lunch. I have a load in the washer and am cleaning up the kitchen. Feel lousy but will attack the mess as long as I hold up. It's actually not too messy. I've had PBS on while I work. Rick Steeves, who does all the European tours programs, had one on the rise of fascism in Europe in the 30's. It was not only interesting but moved along fast and explained it all in easy to understand segments including simple maps and old footage of Eurpope's dictators. Only an hour long. The big question is whether it could happen again. It has in other countries. It is vital to understand how it starts especially with what is happening in the world today. Sent chills up my spine.

T
    here was another program on the uranium mania in Colorado in the 50's. Many people don't even know about that the govt. paid people to mine as much uranium as possible. It was felt that we would be doing everything with atomic energy in the future. The soil in CO contains radon gas and the mining stirred it up. Miners died from lung cancer from it. Towns where companies built homes and town buildings had to burn them down. My Mom had a friend in the mountains and she and her husband ran a small restaurant. They also owned an old gold mine which was converted to a uranium mine. The tailings from mining gold contained uranium. I remember her showing us the tailings and I held a chunk of uranium ore. Yikes! When atomic energy didn't pan out, the govt. stopped buying it and the mining stopped. Just part of the history in CO.

Kim, so good to see you here but I'm so sorry you are feeling lousy. I have a lot of inflammation in my legs but FMS pain isn't as bad anymore as it once was. My complaints are mainly about exhaustion and feeling as though I have some kind of virus. The exhaustion is so bad it affects my poor pea brain and my memory suffers. Good news is that I can enjoy TV shows all over again. Your doc sounds very interesting and I hope she can help you. DD's mentor in her clinicals is a holistic healer and uses traditional medicine with other disciplines. DD thinks DSIL's problems may date back to when they had a flood in their basement and he was exposed to some toxic mold. I had a long-term exposure to it too. It's not what triggered my CFIDS but it sure didn't help. Wildlife is wonderful when it's just out the back door.

Star, never thought of making jam out of tomatoes and oranges. Yes, Florida is known for orange groves, mostly grown for orange juice. The groves have been hit by some tree diseases and hurricanes and we thought the price of orange juice would climb steeply. It still could. The early Spanish explorers brought orange trees to FL originally; they are not native here. There are still sour oranges grown but they have to be used in things with lots of sugar. I've driven in the orange groves east of us here when the trees are blossoming. It is heavenly. There are plants to turn the oranges into juice and huge trucks hauling the oranges when they are ready. I am so sorry your legs are bad. Our pain can just move around in our bodies for no apparent rhyme or reason. Hope it gets better.

Just lost a paragraph. The computer is getting squirrelly so think I'll get going. Hope all y'all have a lovely evening.

Love, Mikie

springwater, Starlight74 and bct like this.
  11. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I'm back! Feeling pretty awful though. I slept most of yesterday, feels like my eyes kept wanting to close, probably because after the surgery when i got home couldn't sleep at all, up all night long, so my body doesn't know what it should do. I go for the followup on thursday and will get results from the xray of my kidneys, and hoping it hasn't gone there. And my doctor will discuss some different type of chemo.....cause i can't keep doing this. I'm drinking lots of water to flush out the anesthesia, which I'm sure is why i still feel loopy.

Star: What a very very sweet post to me. Yes, i saw it in the morning and i took a screen shot of it. You really have a gift for words. And a happy belated to your Dh. Hey....nothing wrong with you being older. My mom was 7 years older than my dad, but she kept it hidden for years, kept telling everyone it was 4 years. When she finally confessed i said.....so what! Age is nothing but a number.

Julie; So happy to read the funeral went good.

And thank you everyone who held good wishes for me.

12. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Not much time on here but did a little bit of reading so thought I would post a little bit,

SUN - Sorry I missed your surgery date and I know you are glad that is over. Will pray that all comes out well and it has not gone anywhere else . DH will be going in in May to have his little probably cancer again "shaved off" is what the doc calls it. Hope this doesn;t keep happening but the dor has d said that after the surgery that his type tends to come back alot. Well, sure hope it doesn't get any worse. Rest and hope you get to feeling a little better sooner rather than later.

DD and DSIL put an offer on a house nearby and they had a verbal agreement last night. They were supposed to fill in the paperwork (probably electronically I guess) today and do whatever they have to do.

JULIE - Glad things went as well as can be for your dad's memorial service. Nice so many could come.

I want to run over to see my DD to see if they herd any more or what has been done. Coming home from church our gage came on saying a problem with one of the tires. Well, I guess it is time t buy new tires. We were trying to put it off some. The guy at the Toyota place said it could go at least another 5,000 miles ( that was before the gage lit up).

Love and hugz to everydobby inc those not mentioned ! Will try and get back soon again !

Granni :)

13. rockgor

Evening Kids

Woke up a while ago.I spend almost all day asleep now. After I looked at the computer to
    find out what day it was and if it was morning or evening, I went out and had some kitty time. Got a nice purr too. She's getting better at it. Had some of Gordon's soup. Delicious, nutritious, auspicious, and propitious.

My Oregon brother called. We had a long talk. He sounds fine. I asked about his
    insurance coverage which we had been told ran out. He said it was news to him. Hadn't heard a word about that. Asked if he needed money. He said No, not yet anyway. He
    mainly wanted to talk about the wolf center and some test on critical thinking that he
    devised. Uff-da!

Granni, you already know you can't drive with bad tires. But nowadays you practically
    have to get a loan to buy the darned things. I think when I bought my first car in 1960
    a new tire cost about 40-50 bucks. Nowadays they go up to $1,000 @. Yikes! Of
    course you didn't need that kind unless you drive like Paul Newman at the Daytona
    Speedway in Florida. I believe he got some coaching from Mikie.

Sun, glad you are home. Sorry you feel awful. I hope your recovery is speedy and unevent-
    ful. Age may be just a number, but old age is a condition that I am thoroughly fed up
    with. Ready to move on to something else. Do you have a good book to read? Music?
    Are you taking pain pills? Is Claire helping you?

Mikie, remember the hour long Lucy shows after I Love Lucy went off the air. In
    one of them the gang was looking for uranium. Fred MacMurray and his wife June
    Haver were the guest stars. Funny show. Who knew then it was potentially deadly?

Gotta go. My typing is getting all verkata.
    Rock

14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Monday Morning, Kids,

It rained in the middle of the night. Good! We need it. Rainy season is just around the corner. I watched Les Miserable last night on PBS's Masterpiece Theater. It was pretty good. I think it will be broken down into six episodes. This is drama and not the musical. Next Sunday evening at nine, MSNBC will have another of it's specials, this one on China and its rise technologically and economically. Richard Engle is the reporter who does these specials. He is always going all over the world to do his reporting. The specials are always excellent.

Sun, I'm glad you came through the procedure OK and hope the tests are good. Also hope they can find another chemo to help keep it under control.

Granni, is it possible that the tire alert was for one that just needed some air? I never rotate my tires because I don't drive enough and our tires have to be replaced here from rot before we ever wear down the treads. Last time I bought new ones, it cost just under $600. We have to replace our batteries from the elements here too. Hope things go smoothly for DD in buying the house.

Rock, yes, I taught Paul Newman everything he knew about racing cars. Tom Cruise too. However, my own racing days are over. I'm content to just drive to Publix these days. The most dangerous part of the trip is dodging the shopping carts of the distracted cart drivers. People shouldn't talk or text while navigating through the crowded market aisles. Glad you heard from your bro from Casa Lobo. Hope he will be OK. Gordon's soup and Miss Kitty's purrs--life is good!

Hope everydobby has a great start to the week.

Love, Mikie

Update: OMG! Notre Dame cathedral in Paris is burning down. I am horrified watching it on the news. Mom and I loved it when we visited. A beautiful cathedral and it was filled with so many priceless artifacts. What a horrible loss.

Just heard from Duckie. She has been so busy at work that she just hasn't been up to getting online when she comes home. Her dear Mom got sick with a norovirus and had to go back into rehab. Duckie and her DS also got it. This has been a very difficult time for her. I told her we were all concerned and that we would welcome her with open arms when she can stop in on the Porch. She wanted me to let y'all know what has been going on with her.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 11:31 AM
  15. springwater

Sun - very good to read your post. Been wondering as all of us here, how things went. Hope the tests are good. Make sure you rest up.

I met in the street a very poor young man who was in love. His hat was old, his coat was threadbare - there were holes at his elbows; the water passed through his shoes and the stars through his soul.”

Mikie - i read Les Miserables when i was at school, the above line touched me deeply. Being young, love and all that. now years later and the worlds opinions at my fingertips on the internet i find everyone but everyone was as enamoured as myself of those lines.

Yes, with the modern world in the crazy state it is in, wars, pollution, electronics, the sentiments expressed dont seem to fit in very well. heh heh.

Julie - very touching to see the box. Tears in my eyes. I felt like i knew him. You shared so many pictures.

Rock - very pleased your brother and you spoke. He seems quite a character. What is the wolf centre? a c9nservation program?

Kim - knots all over the head sounds very alarming. hope something can be done about 5hem. talking of wildlife, and i envy you, yours just outside 5he door, we have recently been visited by squirrels. a first for us in the 20 odd years of being here!

Granni - tires are expensive. Having a car is expensive. But one cant do without 5hem, whats to do?

Star - age is just a number. If two souls connect, they connect, sparks fly, and thats that. whats to do? Hahahahaha.

okay. i edited twice and Mikie had been in, with news bulletins. Mikie - i hope the fire is put out fast. it reminds me of Windsor Manor catching fire.

thanks so much for the update on Duckie. very relieved she herself is alright. of sorts. i have to look up norovirus.

oh im sure you lived in Paris in one of your earlier lives. i feel something tug at my heart when i see pictures of the Andes region in Peru. and the striped bright clothing and hats. Its not a longing to go there. Its just a strong feeling about the place. which i dont get from looking at pictures of others.

God bless

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 11:55 AM
    bct likes this.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Spring,

I was updating my post while you were here posting. I added info about the fire at Notre Dame and the message I got from Duckie.

You write as beautifully as Hugo. Some of the things you have written have touched me as this passage touched you. I think I may read the book because watching shows isn't the same as savoring beautiful writing.

I felt as though I was coming home when I was in Paris. I had thought I'd feel that way in Germany because I'm part German but I didn't. It felt alien to me even though I enjoyed Munich very much. It seemed that Paris was in my blood and in my soul. I can't explain it but felt I had lived there in another life. It was almost deja-vu like. It breaks my heart to see graffiti on the streets and buildings and see the effects of terrorist attacks. And now...this fire. So sad.

I'm sooo tired today and I have sores in my mouth. That means my Sjogren's has relapsed. I'm gonna rest all day because it won't get better unless I do. I hope you and yours are all doing well.

Love, Mikie

15-notre-dame-fire-3.w700.h467.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 11:50 AM
    bct and springwater like this.
  17. springwater

oh Mikie - that looks dreadful!

18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, it does. The firefighters are gaining on the fire but it appears that the roof and all the wooden structure are destroyed. They are trying to keep the fire from the stone parts of the cathedral. I don't know about the stained glass windows. The news reported that there was a relic of the crown of thorns Jesus wore housed in the cathedral. I don't recall that but Mom and I were in awe of the relics and other things on display.

How strange. We were just discussing novels about the people who built the cathedrals in Europe. Now, we are talking about Les Miserable. I just got a text book out and have been reading some French. I've been thinking about revisiting my French lessons for some time now and this seems the appropriate time to do it. It's so good for the brain to speak another language. I've lost so much of the little I used to have. Tres triste!

I bought Les Miserable for my Kindle but haven't downloaded it yet. It was a bargain at $1.99. Gonna get going. What for, I don't know. I had a wee glass of wine and some of the delicious bread I got at Costco. I know I'll always remember where I was when Notre Dame burned.

Love, Mikie

19. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Hi gang! Just have a minute to check in...the exhaustion is easing a bit, but waves of fatigue come over me without warning and I have to crash...have been napping most afternoons for at least two hours.

My brother and his wife from Texas are still here...had planned to leave tomorrow, but their son suggested they wait till Wednesday. They are headed home to Arlington and forecast calls for storms to be in their path tomorrow...hopefully, the weather is better for travel on Wednesday and Thursday (they'll take two days to get back home.)

I had a chiro and massage appointment for tomorrow and offered to reschedule, but Den will be here to entertain/host until I get back. I surely could use both treatments...

We've had a good time and have enjoyed catching up...even the sis-in-law who told me she couldn't stand me and that I was a terrible sister, etc...has acted very decent to everyone. Could be just a "put on" while the other brother and wife are here, but I'll take any peace I can get, lol!

I'd better get on to bed. Den and my brother have been watching old western movies every night (after sis goes to bed) and they just finished one, so the house is quiet and I'm ready to get some sleep. Thinking of everyone...take care!

20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Tuesday Morning, Kids,

Good news--they saved the crown of thorns and some other relics at Notre Dame. On the one hand, this was so disastrous but on the other hand, it could have been worse. The bell towers are intact as is the rest of the stone structure, or so it appears. One wealthy family has already pledged several hundred millions of dollars toward the restoration. I can't imagine Paris without Notre Dame.

I just popped an allergy pill. My eyes are watering and I'm choking on whatever is in the air, likely pollen. Between the Sjogren's flare and allergies, I'm exhausted. Whine, whine, whine! SV let out a yowl in the middle of the night. That's his puke yowl. He throws up long tubes of hair that get stuck in his craw. Better that than becoming an obstruction in his guts. Thank God for Blue Magic stain remover.

Julie, I'm sure you must be exhausted from everything you have on your plate right now. I'm glad your SIL is behaving herself. I hope the weather in TX improves. It's been horrible with those tornadoes and hail storms. Hope the chiro appt. and massage help you. This is a time to treat yourself especially well.

I need to get into the shower. I have an eye doc appt. on Thurs. and my hair do will last for that. I have a new top to wear and also new Capri pants. Really need to dig into my closet and get rid of things I don't need. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Love, Mikie

bct and Kimerella like this.
ProHealth CBD Store