PORCH 1199 IS NOW CLOSED (5/19/20) | Page 2 | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums

PORCH 1199 IS NOW CLOSED (5/19/20)

ProHealth CBD Store

sunflowergirl

Rock: No fun family picnic..... it was the hamburger which had fig jam, red onions, goat cheese, arugula, bacon and oh yes, the thick meat. I made the mistake of ordering rare.....so by the time I got it home and started eating it, the bun had soaked up a lot of the juice, but I do have still half of it left and when I reheat in the microwave it will cook the meat more. I wasn’t charged a tip, found the brown bag sitting on a bench outside the restaurant so when the waiter came out to put another bag out I told him wait....I have a tip. I have never been this generous.....gave him a ten. he said it all goes to the cook and I’m sure he can use it. I love this restaurant and I don’t want it to close down. so I did my good sharing deed for the day. trying to get into that habit daily, even if its just a wave to a neighbor and a few shared conversations. Its so darn hard living alone but I do try to talk to someone each day.

Mikie: what’s the name of the thriller? I could use some good diversion. and I got an email from my art friend. she said the dam above their DD broke so their house was saved but not the town of midland below them.

Lately Ive been thinking more about a dog! but don’t think Clair would be very accepting and she could get “even” like Tweety did and don’t want that either. No sure how long Clair is going to live. She’s 14 already and lately she’s been losing weight and there seems to be more throw up surprises.

Mikie

Good Friday Morning, Kids,

Woke with stuffed up head. AACCKK!! It's always something. SV just strolled over to the loveseat and shreaded the front of the arm with his claws. I yelled at him and he stopped but I can't break him of it. So this poor old piece of furniture just sits in the livingroom because it would be foolish to replace it. Same with the carpeting. This is partly why I never wanted more pets after my old cat died. He was a perfect gentleman and never caused a problem but you never know with cats. I love SV and he is a blessing but he is not without problems.

Sun, it would be difficult to predict what Clair might do. She might like a companion but she might cause problems too. I love dogs but wouldn't have one here because I would have to walk it and there are a lot of times I'm just not up to it. Then there's the cost factor. SV is expensive enough. I have the luxury of having friends and neighbors to talk to every time I go out the door even if it's just to take my garbage down or pick up my mail. When Grace is here, I enjoy her little dog. The thriller was good to the last page. It is the first in a series--Killhouse Lake by Rachel Caine. It's one of those that Amazon gave me free. The next in the series is $5.99. Then there are two more. Amazon wants me to use adiobooks and join the unlimited plan. I fall asleep immediately when listening to anything but don't stay asleep. This book was very graphic when it comes to the murders and I didn't like that. No sex and a strong heroine. That burger sounds mighty tasty.

My mission for the day is to deposit my checks. I can do that and come home to work on my budget. The condo financials are up to date. I have to vacuum the lanai floor but it's gonna be really hot today so don't know whether I'll do it. Maybe if I can get it done early. Hope all y'all have something more exciting and fun to do than I.

Love, Mikie

Home again, home again, rich as can be...my check's in the bank and some cash for me. I did my deposit at the drive thru and used one of those pneumatic tubes for the first time in many, many years. Had to have a bit of help from the sweet and patient teller. My bank branch is the best. I've always gone inside because our area here is like a small community and the staff is so nice. I pay all my bills online or by phone so little need to go there. But when I do, I enjoy everyone. I could get the bank app on my phone and make deposits by just taking pics of the checks but I don't like to lock my phone and don't want anyone being able to access my bank accts. I so seldom have checks to deposit. I got a bit of cash to be ready for hurricane season.

I'm cleaning the tile floor out on the lanai. I had to drag out the muscular floor machine. It gets too dirty for a mop. Gonna be 94 today so this needs to be done before it gets that hot. It's not as humid and there is a breeze so that helps. I stopped to have a sandwich and need to get back out there. Gonna use the machine to clean the tile floors inside when I'm done.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bct

rockgor

hi everyone. rock and i went to our gp yesterday. rock still has the ear wax build-up. we will continue with the over the counter med. after 3 weeks i will attempt to flush out things. doc looked at his fingers and did confirm he has arthur. suggested squeezing a ball to improve the situation. he also approve the cream i'm using if needed for pain. he also is giving him the mini dosage of med for his memory. it will not improve it but stop any progression. this med is not to have any side effect. i had the normal check-up so there would not be any problem with ordering any refills on my meds.

replanted the beans and hope it takes this time. we got about 5 tomatoes in two days. rock said they were good and a nice change to the other veggies. i'm going thru the orchids to see what need repotting. i'm late but what the hey. the orchid club has arrange for our members to see a webinar from the AOS from our computer. don't know if i'll see it as i'm not interested in that orchid and don't ever want it. jim and friend will be going to the city of diamond bar to see if they can get a certain orchid. don't know where jim can fit in another plant. CRAZY PERSON. he's also busy repotting/dividing his collection. from one plant you can get 3 - 4 plants and he repotted 12 yesterday. now that we don't have our meetings where you can sell divisions to members i don't what he's going to do.

just spoke with my cardo dr and we will have a phone visit instead of a physical office visit. he'll call at the scheduled appt time. will need to go to a smaller 99 cent store for supplies this afternoon when the crowds are gone.

well that's the update here on our ranch. hope everyone is keeping safe and are well.

later,

gordon

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Lanai is done 'cept for cleaning the glass table tops. The repairs I made to the bigger table top and the restoring of the black painted metal parts look sooo good. I love to have my place looking all nice and fresh. Unfortunately I can't keep it all that way, just parts at a time. Don't know whether I'll get the kitchen tile floor done today because I want to pull the chrome rack out and clean everything on it. I need to clean the floor under it to try to keep the ants away. They don't like Mr. Clean or peppermint oil and I'll use both. I may have to have the pest guy come out and dab some of the gel that kills them in their nest.

I sent out texts to those of us here to ask whether anyone else has the ants. No one so far. The new folks were asking for our pest guy so they could call themselves. I had to splain that any service that is used by the assn. has to be notified by me or mgmt. or they would end up paying for it themselves. I gave him some info about the benefits of being in an assn. They are new to condo living. Don't want them to think someone is telling them what they have to do. I think it's gonna be fine. I'm just super careful after the mess with the angry people downstairs. Condo living is very different from independent living. It's not for everyone.

Gordon, I found out that orchids take work and commitment but they are so beautiful. I know from the awards you win that you're good at raising them. I lucked out with the few ones I had because evidently our tree was the perfect place for them to hang. Once the tree was cut down, I couldn't seem to grow them in any other spot. I don't have much choice because I only have a small part of the bldg. But I did enjoy them and gave them away to people who would take care of them. I can see how addicting they can be. Sounds as though you guys had a good appt. with the doc. Glad he had something for Rock. I'll have to try the ball. I have arthritis in my wrists and hands. Hope your appt. with the cardiologist goes well. Good luck.

I'm catching up on some of my shows. I have to relax in between cleaning or I'll end up in bed. The throw rugs are in the washing machine. Of course, the machine is complaining and shaking. I need to get going and, at least, start on the rack in the kitchen. Hope all y'all are enjoying your day.

Love, Mikie

Granniluvsu

Good afternoon Dear Porchies,

Darn these computers. I wrote a few sentences, then touched something poof away it went With not going anywhere I am so mixed up on my days. I was thinking Memorial Day was not this weekend but the next but i am wrong, not that I am doing anything or going anywhere. I think DSIL who lives close by is afraid that since he is out and about , shopping and all and if he gets the virus he will give it to e or us. So, we aren't going anyplace,

MIKIE - I'm with you on kids and destroying furniture and things. We were brought up right and made to behave just as most of us here on this board, I'm pretty sure. Some kids nowadays let their kids and pets run wild. They don;t even know how to sit properly on a chair or couch. Yes, also as SUN mentioned that in ours and our parents generation it was hard and very sad for our parents growing up. Mom told me that she used to make me sunsuits out of sheets. She was a much better seamstress than I for sure. She used to wash out plastic bags and hang them on the line. That was the days before ziplock bags. We used to bring back soda bottles and such. I still save some glass bottles as they are good to store things in in the refrigerator mostly and you can see what it is easily. Old habits are hard to forget and I don;t throw out much so am trying hard to clear out here and there and it is sometimes not an easy task. Esp if I have to try on clothes, its a pain in the neck. My closet is still a mess and I need a ladder of some kind to get on the top shelf so I can do something with that stuff first. Also all my music is in there to that I am not using at present.

ROCK - I am glad all went well with your dr appt and got all your meds. Nice to see you back here and trying to keep us in fine spirits !!LOL At our house on big occasions we never carved at the table there was never enough room. We were lucky to get the people at the table let alone a ham or turkey. Our kitchenette I would call it was our dining room and our kitchen was very small but somehow we all made do. Nowadays the young married ones wand the perfect big house to live in FOREVER !!. I lived in a pretty small house growing up that is now completely redone by the new owners after my mom died. I think our house was one of the homes on the block that had not been completely redone and extended..

Gotta run.

Gfranni

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Finished the lanai but haven't started the kitchen. I had something in the trash that was starting to smell so walked down to the dumpster. It's so hot out and I came home exhausted. I did mop the master bath. It's too small to take the machine in so I always do it by hand. I'm just doing this and that before I tackle the big job in the kitchen, now scheduled for tomorrow. I feel better and not as though I'm under the gun like I did when I had some specific important things that I had to do. I like it in times like this when I can pick and choose and work easily.

Granni, I think the hard times gave our parents values and grit. They passed those things on to us. I tried to pass them on to my kids. It seems that with every generation following the Greatest Generation, something is lost. My kids are kind and loving, work hard and are grateful for everything. DGS is too and my kids are trying to raise him right. I'm proud of them but there is no way they can understand what our ancestors went through. My kids loved my Mom so much and they talk about how hard it must have been for her to be a single Mom. I just worry that the ones younger than my kids would not have what it takes to stand up to a national or worldwide crisis. I know young kids don't think anything can happen to them but it makes me sick to see them congregating without masks. And, like you said, it isn't just kids. I see young kids with no respect for others or their belongings all the time and the parents act as though it's normal. ARG!!! I think every generation says that about the kids and I just hope I am wrong. Manners are a whole nother subject. I was taught to let my elders walk in front of me and hold doors open, etc. Kids today will push in front of people. Sooo rude. Gonna take my old fogey self out to see if I can yell at some kids to stay off the grass. :) Thanks for letting me vent. Holidays are just another day for me. If my kids were close, it might be different. Glad yours are even if y'all decide not to get together.

Gotta go fill my pill boxes. Another way to know what day it is. Doh!!

Love, Mikie

Granniluvsu

MIKIE - We must be on e the same wave length. I just finished my pill boxes. I know what you mean about feeling like an old fogey !! That's me lately esp the way I feel. Not everyone corrects their children when they do wrong any are so the kids think they are just fine .:(

Hope everydobby has a great weekend. Ours will definately be a quiet one.

Hugz to all those not mentioned in my last post - SUN,STAR, BARRY, JULIE, SPRING, WILLOW and all our many MIA's. HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND ALL OF YOU, I THINK IT WILL BE JUST THE SAME AS ANY OTHERS FOR US. JUT NOTICE OUR CLEANING LADIES ARE SUPPOSED TO COME THEN TOO. DH WILL PROBABLY BE BUSY WATCHING OLD WAR MOVIES AGAIN. !!!

Love,
Granni !!:)

• Love

Mikie

Holy Cow!! We are getting a real gully washer with thunder, lightning, wind and torrential rain. This is what we have been praying for. I shoulda waited to wash the floor tiles out on the lanai. There is sooo much water on them that it will take a bit for it to drain. I vacuumed the screens but the rain brought in a lot of dirt off of them and I'll have to clean that off the tiles tomorrow. I'm so happy about the rain that I don't care. Woo Hoo!

Electricity dimmed but didn't go out. Our utility co. made upgrades to the equipment after the last hurricane and every storm doesn't mean we lose power now. It did cause the wi-fi to have to be reset but it booted right up.

Granni, I used to work for a doctor who had a slew of kids. When they came into the office, they ran wild and neither he nor his wife corrected them. We thought they would grow up to be neer do wells or criminals. They grew up to be the nicest kids I ever saw so I guess you never can tell. There is still hope, I think...

Yes, Happy Memorial Day Weekend to all those not mentioned.

Love, Mikie

Willow77

Hi All,

Been feeling terrible since starting the med for the nerve pain. I am going to email the Dr. to tell him I just can't tolerate it. I have to be able to function to take care of Mom and DH.

We had a few exciting hours this week. There is a gopher in the front yard that is eating the roots of our tree, the tree is almost half dead. In a few days he made over 9 mounds so we watched some video on you tube about water jugging for gophers, and we caught him. We had trouble getting him out of the water bottle to let him loose in the empty field a few blocks from the house. Hopefully he found a safe place to live and wasn't picked of by any owls or hawks. DH trimmed the lower branches of the orange tree in the back so we can see any mounds or holes so we can catch that one. DH is too softhearted to use a kill trap.

I ordered some grow bags to use for this years veg until we catch the backyard gopher. I hope it was just the one but I doubt it. I need to get some chicken wire for on top of the soil so the neighbors cat stops using my pea patch for a bathroom. It doesn't even bother to bury it.

I love the picture of the porch. It looks so restful. I like lots of neutral colors with a few pops of color added. My living room colors are beige, gray and blue. With a big nature oil painting above the fireplace. We still have the previous owners window treatments though, pink vertical blinds with pink flowered valances. The style of the valance is nice as is the quality but I am not a huge fan of pink, especially that much. The tiles at the door way are off white brown and pink which is barely tolerable. I am thinking with a rug that has red, green and brown that it might make some of the pink look more red. Red used to be my favorite color when I was younger but I find now I like things more restful and quiet so whites, beige's, green and blues are more preferred. I had the worst cold of my life with a cough that lasted a month right after we moved in and then I was trying to get Mom and I caught up on Dr appts that we had put off when the whole lock down happened so I never got beyond the thinking and planning part for the drapes. I think I would like the Drop Cloth curtains that you see on pintrist for the living area and Queen or King size bed sheets on the clip rings seen on pintrst I used them when we sold our old house for the pictures online and they looked really nice. I just need to figure out what to do about rods etc as the old rods here are not the right kind so would have to be replaced and that aint cheap.

Sun, I have had that Trigger Point book for years, it is a great book. Getting a theracane helped a lot but the nerve pain is different and I can't bear to be touched when I have that. I think I am going to ask for the gabapenatin the cymbalta is messing with my stomach and head to much for me to be able to function. I thought it was the gaba that I couldn't take, it is nuerontin that makes my bladder hurt. That hamburger with the fig jam sounds divine.

Mikie- I think you place sounds heavenly with the pond and all the wildlife and even better a pool that you don't have to clean yourself. I am thinking of getting a floor cleaner that can clean the tiles in the family room/kitchen. It is one large combined room and DH will wash the floor but he doesn't do it as often as I would and I have to ask. I refuse to nag so I might have to ask nicely for a few weeks before it gets done. He loves Ziggy as much as I do, I got her so I wouldn't have to ask him to vacuum. He works so hard but prefers to do his own projects in the garage. He has a mini fridge, microwave and coffee pot out there and I take a phone out to him so we can use the intercom. It is a long walk to the garage and my legs start aching so the intercom on the phone works great. This house is almost twice the size of the old one and my old bod needs to get used to it. Most people size down on houses but we went from 985 sq feet to 1750. For the extra sq feet we got a larger dining area in the living room and a family room, laundry room and second bath. DH got a 3 car garage and for the first time in his life there is room for most of the cars in the garage. The old house had a 1 car garage that was so tiny a car wouldn't fit in it. The extra sq ft means I have to do a lot more walking in my day and my legs have the most pain.

Granni, I am with you on kids not being taught manners anymore. There was a group of kids going down some street in our neighborhood listening to loud music and being loud, throwing fireworks etc. I didn't see or hear it but it was posted on Nextdoor, an app that you can join for only your neighborhood to find out what is going on. I like it as long as they stay away from politics. Another group of kids were walking down the street and they broke a car antenna off a car and used it to scratch the car. The owner saw them and got pictures which they took to the police, I don't know if they were caught or not. Kids don't have the supervision they used to have with Mom having to work all the time. When I was a kid, even a teenager I had to tell Mom where I was going and who I was going with. If there was any trouble she would find out and we would be punished for it. Now the parents stick up for the bad behaving kids.

Hi to everyone else, I can't remember names right now. I am so tired and I have to go to Moms soon to clean and deliver her groceries.

Love W

Mikie

Good Saturday Morning, Kids,

Slept til seven this morning. I think working hard out on the lanai was good for getting a great night's sleep. I'll have to work out there again to clean up all that fine dirt that washed in from the screens. I am hoping the shop vac will pick it up and I won't have to wash it again. We are expecting more rain today and tomorrow but it likely won't bring in any more dirt. Clean rain water leaves the tile floor sparkling. I had other plans for today buy y'all know what they say about best laid plans...

Willow, so good, as always, to see you drop in on the Porch. We used to always post pretty porches but we kind of ran out of new ones to post. Spring holds the title for our favorite one but there have been a lot of them we love. I'll see whether I can find it when it's time for a new one. My lanai is very small but it looks down on the pond and fountain and is so restful. The balcony out front that spans the four condos upstairs is a good place to sit with morning coffee. We can see everyone walking by, some with their dogs. When Barb lived next door, we sat out there almost every morning. We would invite people up to have coffee with us. Even their dogs would look up to see whether we were out there.

How nice that you got so much space. Yes, it's more to take care of and walk around but sometimes, smaller spaces can be hard to take care of too. Roomba has been a real blessing. My tile floor machine is an upright one like a vacuum cleaner that I have to push. It holds and dispenses the wash water and picks up the dirty water. There are scrub brushes that get down into the grout lines. I love it but it's heavy so I use a Swiffer mop in between deeper cleanings. There is a little robot scrubber like Roomba but I'm not going to get one. I might if I had a lot of tile flooring.

I'm laughing about the pink. My condo has white walls in the living area and is very open and bright. It is an open floor plan in the living area with high ceilings. The carpet is beige so it goes with everything. When I moved in, there were thin pouffy valences over the sliding glass doors that looked as though they belonged in a boudoir. They were the first thing to go. My condo had been sitting empty for quite a while and was only lived in for a short time. I painted my bedroom Wedgewood blue and the bath the same color but a lighter tone. Both the other bedrooms and guest room are beige. My kitchen is all white with stainless appliances. It's not fancy but in good enough shape that I could sell it if I had to.

Lots of people in here never made any changes or upgrades and their places were so outdated. When it came time to sell, their places moved slowly and/or they had to take less $$$$ for them. Now we have younger people buying places to use now on vacation and move into when they retire. There are some firemen who are very handy and are redoing their condos. Some people have had their kitchens and baths professionally redone. I did almost all the work on mine myself except the stone counter tops in the kitchen. I saved a ton of money by doing it myself and am glad I did because I couldn't do it today. I was married to Mr. Home Improvement for 26 years and picked up a lot of skills by working with him.

Nancy had a mole on her property up in MI. It would move from one neighbor to another when anyone would try to capture it. It's a fairly rural area. I always think of the movie, Caddyshack. I am so sorry to hear about your pain and inability to tolerate the Cymbalta. A lot of people have problems taking it. Some take the neurontin; I took Klonopin. Had to wean off of it and it took a year. I took it to stop the seizure activity that kept me from being able to sleep. It was a wonderful drug when I needed it. It also stopped my severe sensory overload. Good luck to you and I hope you find something that helps.

I'll stop back in later. Hope all y'all have a great day.

Love, Mikie

• Love

springwater

Hello everyone

Its a nice evening...wasnt too hot when i went out, it looked like rain but didnt. i wouldnt have minded. Anything to cool temps is welcome. ..short of hurricanes.

oh i didnt know about Michigan...i read it here and googled to see what happened.

Folks in west coastal India and Michigan are facing same problems. Can people catch a break or what?

The covid makes everything so much more complicated.

Spoke with my friend a bit. She keeps posting pictures of her cooking and garden. Said she is practising for when the kids get married. Right now her DD baked cakes and makes the odd meal. Her DS works outside.

okay, as i type, friend sent her lunch photo. Beetroot n cabbage soup, okra curry, vermicelli gravy. Lol, i hv nothing to send back.Lunch was very casual. Leftovers.

ive been trying to cut down the jungle. Themosquitoes make it difficult. i forgot to buy repellant.

Mikie - i remember Barb n you used to sit outside lot. Her kids too.

i just erased my replies to Mikie and Willow while editing.....

will come back in a while

Last edited:

rockgor

Hi Kids

Been awake all night. Watched a Laurel and Hardy film I don't remember seeing before. Who knows?
Maybe people will still be enjoying them a century from now. Certainly better in my opinion than
many current big stars. They are burried at Forest Lawn and or near by.

I'm out of books too, Mikie. Just re- reading old ones. Am currently re-reading Dave Barry "On
turning 40". As for ration books, I remember them as well as greenstamp books. We had a stamp
drawer in the kitchen.

Sunflower, I read one time many years ago that the most saved item in the houses of old people
was margarine containers. Seems like we always had at least a dozen or so in the back porch
at my folks's home.

Barry, did you see your doc? Did you take your meds with you?

Going back to bed.

Last edited:

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Just reading news and watching TV. I'll wait another hour before cleaning the lanai tiles. Whichever machine I use, it's gonna be noisy. Don't want to disturb the neighbors til they have a chance to enjoy the morning and their coffee. Sposda be 92 or 93 again today but the temps drop down into the high 80's for the rest of the week. We will get rain later this afternoon.

In a bit of irony, 200 to 300 boaters are taking to the Gulf in a political rally. They will be traveling through an ecologically endangered rookery which is about to lose vital govt. funding. One thing both sides of the aisle here agree on is that FL waterways, lakes and the Everglades have to be protected. Well at least, they will be practicing social distancing. Doh!

Spring, yes, India and MI are suffering. Nancy isn't in harm's way where she lives. MI is one of our hardest hit states with the virus and now this flooding. Some places here are seeing some of their highest rates of infection. FL is one of them so I'm being extra careful. So are my friends. DD was saying she feels so sorry for older people who have to get out and shop with younger ones who refuse to wear masks. I told her, "That's me!" Because I've always been strong and independent, my kids don't see me as old. She seemed shocked to realize she was talking about me. My ex is saying he's gonna wear a mask and stay home the rest of his life. We laughed about that. I hope you don't overdo it hacking away at the jungle. I need to do a bit of that myself. I have noticed mosquitoes here too. I hate them and they carry disease.

Rock, have you and Gordon been able to download any library books to the Kindle? Our library doesn't reopen here in our hood til June. I need to renew my card but have enough books for a while. I tried to read the real book Claudia gave me but the print's too small. Gotta get these cataracts removed. They are playing a lot of Three Stooges movies on TV here. I loved them when I was a yute but not so much now. My Mom kept jars for making jelly and old margarine containers for keeping things in her fridge. People who lived during The Great Depression didn't waste things. I recycle everything I can. Think I might have mentioned that I don't take my med bottles with me to the doc. I don't even take my list anymore. I just take the pic in my phone of the bottles with all the info on the labels. Easy peasy.

Okay, I'm going to get dressed. I may start the cleaning a bit earlier. Seems everyone is up and about in the hood. Again, hope y'all can manage a great day.

Love, Mikie

Last edited:
  • Love

sunflowergirl

Rock: I used to love watching Laurel and Hardy. Did you ever see them in the fairy tale one? Babes in Toyland. I remember the handsome guy who played the prince, I think I fell in love for the first time when I saw him. I was probably about 9 or 10. Ill have to do a search for the movie and see who played the part, maybe he wont appeal to me anymore! HA. thru the eyes of a child! And I loved it when Laurel would start whimpering and Hardy would get disgusted with him.

Butter tubs! OMG, I better watch out because I have a tendency to save those tubs. With me its those cottage cheese containers, both sizes. Every once in a while I have to go thru my cabinet and toss. and I find that those lids seem to get lost just like the proverbial socks. I did save that really great container my hamburger came in the other day. Washed it up and now my large stash of sewing needles are residing in it.

Spring: take some pictures of the yummy sounding meals your DD makes, or your dogs doing something funny and send to your friend. this isolation is soooo darn hard on many people, me for one. And it irritates me that my DD and her family are this weekend down at the desert house and she said their friends will probably be over. That means if they are around others, then I’m going to wait 2 weeks until my DGD can come over to visit. she had called last week and in her sweet little voice asked if she could. I said yes, but then this new weekend trip came up with them being around others. *^%$#@ This is the 4th long weekend trip that they have gone to either their desert house or their beach house......with the rest of SILs family and I’m feeling overly annoyed....probably because I’m alone in this house with just Clair.

By the way, I got a big hurtful bite from a mosquito who had gotten in the house. I was sitting at the kitchen table 2 nights ago and swatted at a tiny thing flying around, then 2 hrs. later realized I was ITCHING! Now its just painful and red.

Granni: I think your SIL is being very cautious being around you and DH. That’s a good thing since he’s been out and about. I go out now, though always a mask and gloves. However, my pool guy was telling me the other day that his DS got the virus. She had been working at the hospital in the insurance dept., everyone wearing a mask, so she figures since that was the only place she was other than home, that must be where she picked it up.

Barry: how did the doctor visit go? did you get tests done at the hospital? and did you ever buy batteries for your blood pressure cuff? and have you talked to him about possible orthostatic posture problems?

Mikie: Good idea with taking pics of your meds and keeping on your phone. That’s one problem I have with NOT having an up to date phone. I just have the little flip phone. I ran into that problem yesterday when I drove to Kohl’s to pick up an order. I was supposed to “hit the button” on my phone when I got there, but I don’t have a service where my Ipad works away from home. Luckily another car was ahead of me, the employee came out with her pkgs. and she started walking away from me. I yelled at her to stop, told her I couldn’t notify them I was there, she said well.....”that’s not the way we do things“and at first she wasn’t going to get my order. So reluctantly she went back in with my order paper and came out 5 min. later. Not the same set up for pickup as Lowes or Walmart has.

My 6year old DGDs BD is June 2......another time not to be around celebrating. So I went online to Kohl’s to find some clothes for her. Hard not finding everything because some stores didnt carry her size and I wanted to go only to one store for pickup. Anyway got them packaged up and taken to the PO yesterday. It had to go priority so it should get there today. Sent an email to my DS about it, and to put it away until her BD.

Willow: My home is basically done in shades of taupe, grey, beige and off white with accents of black and orangy red in pillows and paintings. Pink in the right room is beautiful, but......think BR for little girls. I’m an artist and used to paint large oils. I have a 3ft by 4ft canvas of red cannas I painted years ago hanging in my FR, but lately seeing all those news reporters on PBS coming from their own homes, I’m thinking about having some wood shelves built, possibly around the painting. I really like the look and think it makes a room look so inviting.

I think your are smart to get off cymbalta. I had to open up the capsule and count out so many ”beads” each day until I was off it.

It’s very overcast this morning, looks like rain so who knows? I’m going to the local small hardware store and will order a new screen for the laundry room door. The one there has got to be from when the house was built in 1964 and its waaaay overdue to be replaced. So when it comes in I”ll just pick it up in my SUV and then have my handyman install it. I was just going to Lowes but my handyman told me their screen are junk and to order it from a company that makes them in Los Angeles.

I finished another abstract yesterday and sent pics to my art instructor. She said it reminded her of a Rothko......had to do a search on him. wow.....he made a fortune and got famous by painting colored stripes! Mine was named, Lines and Circles #2, after the first one which is #1. How do you come up with anything other than a series? The college is closed but this class is for seniors....FREE......and the teacher has always continued it thru the summer. this is good for me, since it gives me a reason to continue to paint. Think I”ll try some colored stripes today.

Last edited:

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Whew! The lanai is clean again. It was as much work today as it was yesterday. In fact, it was more work. I went over the screens carefully to get the dirt off of them. The storm was so strong and moving so fast that the rain came in at a slant through the screen. The wind was blowing too and all kinds of stuff off the slash pines was stuck to the screens. My little lanai is so pretty and gleaming clean. Too bad it won't last because I don't have the NRG to clean it like that often enough. The dirt is black like soot and it has to be coming off the road that borders our hood on the side. I'm a block away and still it gets in to the lanai through the screens.

My neighbor and fellow board member sent me a text this morning. Her Dad died last night. Don't think it was the virus. He's been in poor health for a long time. He was a very sweet guy. Her Mom died a few years back. I went to her funeral but, of course, won't be going to one now.

Sun, Joe and my ex still use their flip phones and like them. The only thing is that so much of today's technology depends on having smart phones. It made it easier to return the coffee maker to Target that I had a screen shot of the emailed receipt. Having one would help Joe with his work on the board. His son wants him to get one and I think he will. He got a tablet and uses it all the time. I'm impressed with how proficient he has become. Your house sounds so nice. We are in the same boat, single and living with a cat. I think it's important to have nice homes that fit our personalities and likes because we spend a lot of time in our places. I look around every day and am thankful for my home. I wouldn't want to be around family members who have been around others either. Staying safe is my priority now. I do believe there will be a vaccine at some point but until then, I'm taking no chances.

I'm sooo tired and my back hurts. Think I'll have a nice hot soak and lie down, perchance to dream.

Love, Mikie

• Love

Granniluvsu

Howdy to all Porchies,

Not much new here for sure and noting going on. Just resting today and took a short walk with DH this a.m. and then on the computer trying to get my meds straight on the website. I am still not sure if they are going to send it or not and I think I need to send another message to the PCP portal for more scripts. I have to wait and see. I had two conflicting messages. Almost out of my Synthroid so I need to get it locally this time. Just going from one thing to another and not doing to much today.

NIce to see so many Porchies here, today.

MIKIE - Seems like you have been cleaning the Lanai a lot. Is that from SV and the mess he is creating. Is one of his litter boxes in there? I know sometime kitties can make a big mess in their boxes and there is spillover of litter. Sorry you are feeling puny with more aches and pains. It stinks, I know esp ones back which seems to bother me most of the time unless just lying down. Up and downing from a sitting position is bad and I feeled almost crippled.. Hope your soak and rest help you to feel better !

Willow -So nice to hear from you but sorry for all of your symptoms from the meds. Hope you can find one that works for you that doesn't cause so much discomfort. Waiting to hear back from one dr to come in and get some ore blood work done to ck my B-12 level so I can try and figure out what to do , if anything for my neuropathy esp in my feet and legs. I bought on sale or should I say ordered some compression socks to see if they help. They should some at least . Everyone seemed to be happy with them on the reviews.

SUN- Yes, I agree that DSIL is very conscientious and doesn't want us to catch the virus or anything else for that matter. He is also keeping my DD at home pretty much which is usually a hard thing to do. She and my other nearby DD used to jaunt all over the place and now they are both stuck at home. One DD goes back too work on Tuesday I believe and I have not heard anymore from DCD who is trying hard not to be confused like she was. I went Thursday to get my mammogram done where my DD works but she is collecting unemployment this month so she stayed home and another gal was there. So we are not doing anything this Memorial Day- DSIL said maybe around July 4th we will all get together. Sorry you don;t get to see anyone since everyone is going all over and being with other. That makes it so hard, I know..

SPRING - Glad to see you too. Your meals and places you eat or foods others bring home sound so interesting and delicious,. Would love to see some recipes and pictures. Hang in there kiddo being almost shut in and having to cook with what is available. We are pretty lucky so far with availability other than toilet paper (ha ha) and hand sanitizers. Some meats and chicken I understand in some stores are a little bit low but shopping seems to be about the same as it used to be, I think.

ROCK - boy you read fast my friend !! You sound almost like my DH but he is so busy doing thing outside and around the house. I know too that Gordon gets you to help out with chores to which is great..

BARRY - How was your Dr appointment? Hope all went well and you got all your meds.

THINKING of our ALL our MIA;s !!

Love to awl,
Granni :)

PS Finally got to talk to DCD or DH did and I have been texting her. He is doing OK and gets tested tomorrow and if OK back to work either tomorrow or the next day. Glad to hear that. I was get a bit worried as she had been so quiet and not answering my questions. BUY for now !!

Last edited:

Mikie

Hi, Kids,

Had my soak and have been drifting in and out of sleep. PBS has been running reruns of Downton Abbey all day. I can watch them over and over again. It rained but it was short and gentle. No more monsoon coming in on the lanai. My allergies are bad today and that may be why I'm so tired.

Granni, good to see you here. No, it's not SV that made the lanai dirty. I think it's black particulate stuff coming off the road a block away. The traffic causes it to become airborne and it settles on the lanai. It's on the floor to ceiling screens and on the floor itself. It's even on the stucco walls and I have to clean them too. A little of SV's fur gets on the floor but that doesn't really make it dirty. His only litter box is in my bathroom. He doesn't make a mess with that because he has a large box with a cover and a mat outside of it that removes any litter on his feet. I had to clean the lanai because of the black sooty stuff and then it rained and came in through the screens. That rain contained the soot from the screens and deposited it on the floor so I had to clean it all again today. It's bad enough to clean it once. I'm just generally run down and have been this whole year. Whine, whine, whine! I keep you all in my prayers but I have a special place in my heart for your DD who suffers from whatever causes her confusion. Perhaps it's because my DD suffered from severe anorexia which is also a mental condition. In any case, I will up the prayers to help her get through this time that is so difficult for all of us. I also ask St. Dymphna to watch over her.

I had a delicious sandwich of Jack Daniels BBQ pulled pork on a toasted Publix bakery French hamburger bun with poppy seeds on top for lunch. Sooo good. I'm not hungry for any dinner. I feel as though I've gained weight and if so, it's definitely from being so inert. I'm hoping I have the NRG to do more cleaning and organizing in here. I have to take it day by day. It's still hot out and will only drop to 72 tonight. I'm hoping to have another night of good sleep.

I wish all y'all a night of good sleep and a lovely day tomorrow.

Love, Mikie

• Love

sunflowergirl

I LOVE Downton Abby, could watch it all the time, especially the earlier ones. The costumes were wonderful. I own the entire series so I do pop in one now and then. DA is a good escape from all were going thru. I have to remind myself that millions of people in other places and countries are having it so much worse than we are in so. cal. It was about 75 degrees today, perfect weather.

one of the good things that has come out of this covid19 are the good, caring thoughtful people. Yes, there will always be the trouble makers though. I wanted to share this. My DGD wants to come over to spend some time with me, learning to sew I think. OK...but the fabric store is closed and when I went last week to Walmart the sewing dept was wiped out and there was NO fabric. I had given away all the fabric remnants months ago, So I put on a post with the local next door site, asking if anyone had any cotton type fabric that they didn’t want anymore. One neighbor said she would drop off some things, which she just did. 3 adorable fabrics......I’m thinking maybe an apron and 4 packaged up pillow sets to make. Two of them have fancy poodles on them...pink of course. I can hardly wait for my DGD to come....whenever that is.....so we can get to work having fun.

Rock: I’m enjoying a vine ripened tomato that’s been growing in my little greenhouse. The taste is incredible. I almost forgot what vine ripened tomatoes taste like. And this morning I picked some green beans from my garden in front. Hope the rats and squirrels don’t like beans.

Mikie

Good Sunday Morning, Kids,

Another night of good sleep til 6:00. Of course, SV tapped me on the shoulder at 5:00 but I told him to go back to sleep and he did. He knows what that means. Just finished my breakfast and will dig into the real newspaper. It is fatter than it has been in recent weeks which means it probably has more advertising inserts. Things are opening up so businesses want us to go shop. That would be fine if people were to all wear masks but there are too many idiots out there who refuse to wear them. I have to shop for food so continue to go to Publix because the delivery system they use isn't satisfactory. I am careful and shop when it's not busy. Same when I went to Target.

Sun, yes, every day the news has examples of the kindness of people and it is heartwarming. It helps to balance out the coverage of people without masks sitting and standing wall to wall in bars. Georgia has opened up with restrictions and has been for four weeks. So far, there really hasn't been a spike in new cases. If people would just use good sense, I think we could open up our businesses without another big outbreak. We can't stay closed down forever. It makes me sad to realize that there are people out there who care so little for others. I try to balance it out with all the good things that are happening. That website you belong to sounds wonderful. The pink poodle print sounds so cute and just perfect for DGD. How old is she? I'm sooo glad I learned to sew. My Mom sewed and I took a class in HS with a woman who was a great teacher. I made a lot of clothes for the kids when they were little. Sounds as though you are making the most of this quarantine. They mentioned on PBS that DA would be leaving so I'm guessing they will stop rerunning it. I think it will be back.

Strange accident up the coast in a small town. A pickup truck left the main drag, became airborne, landed on top of a bait and tackle shop and caught fire. The building was totally lost and the driver was taken to the hospital with serious burns. Yikes! He must have been speeding judging by how far and how high the truck traveled after leaving the road.

I'm outta here. Hope all y'all have the best day possible. We are sposda get more rain so it will be a good day here.

Love, Mikie

• Love

springwater

lovely little garden spaceSmall Space Garden Ideas.jpeg

it is SO hot these days, those shadows made by the vines and covered porch look like heaven to sit down in.

i sat down myself for a spell this afternoon in the shade with cool breezes blowing.

Willow - it gladdened my heart to hear your DH doesnt use kill traps. i know it becomes necessary at times but why take a life if one can avoid it. Especially if it causes pain.

You must be looking foward to your DS coming down.

Sun - what fun to participate in that movie..Toys...so many children, and older actors, running around. Nowadays its much more mechanical with sophisticated cameras, gadgets.

Nice to look forward to DGds visit. You are one fun granma. i can spoil my future grandkids, but i wont be sewing with them! i am hopeless at it.

Granni - i get the odd twinge in the lower back...and take precautions not to aggravate it. i sit on a stool if i have to handwash clothes and get brooms with longer handles.

Mikie - seems like you do a lot. I know you always pace out because of the health troughs which keep coming.

Our stores arent open yet, only food stores.

And household essentials. i hope we dont run out of clothes. i saw that pajama sales went thru the roof there.

Last edited: