Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As is my habit, I will go back to Porch 817 to read posts there and come back here to post my response.

Good Morning, Porchies,

Another day of rest yesterday but woke feeling better today. Hips, legs and foot/ankle are better too. It's depressing to feel too tired and to be in pain so that no work gets done. Whine, whine, whine. I hope everydobby else is better than I have been. I have been Herxing from the Acyclovir on top of everything else. AACK!!!

My computer fan is going off and on and I'm a bit worried about it. This has been such a good computer. I really need to back up my pics and documents, especially the documents. Wow! Computer just shut down but seems to be OK. I didn't even lose my post. Don't know what new computer hell is afoot but think I should post this and go.

Granni, I see you are busy, as usual. Hope your trip to San Antonio is fun. Wish I were with you.

Diane, I will pray for Faithy's eye to get better on its own. To hear Sir Vester yowl, and to see them tumbling around, one would probably think them fighting like crazy but it's just kitty play. Once, when Sir Vester tried to mount Tweety, she beat him up but there was no damage. It's more like the humiliation aspect of being bested. Can't remember whether you got one of those IcyHot TENS units but I use mine when my shoulder acts up. It helps. Hope it is feeling better.

Spring, I noticed that yesterday was Yoga Day. I think meditation is a wonderful thing. Since going off my Special K, I haven't been able to calm my mind. Perhaps I should try again. It is into the low 90's F here. It's also very humid. The worst time of day is after noon, into the evening. Mornings will continue to be perfect, in the 70's but it's already 78 at 6:00 in the morning. Yikes!!! Hope you and I both can stay cool.

Need to get going. Hope all y'all have a wonderful day.

Love, Mikie
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Mikie

Thanks for opening up. I didn't know yesterday was Yoga Day. Reminds me of the
    old joke about the monk who declined novocaine for his extraction. "Not necessary.
    I am able to transcend dental medication.

At first reading I thought you said yesterday was Yogurt Day. That reminds me as
    well. Two cartons of yogurt walk into a bar. The bartender, who was a tub of cottage cheese, says to them, "We don't serve your kind in here." Response: Why not?
    We're cultured individuals."

Am reading a book of cartoons by Gahan Wilson. A psychiatrist is giving advice to his
    patient who is lying on the couch. The patient is a cat. "Don't you dare scratch that
    couch." Made me think of Tweety.

Springwater, always good to hear a cheerful word from the other side of the world. In
    answer to your question, a tautology is a statement that's equal on both sides of
    the verb but usually using different words. For example, a triangle has three sides.
    These statements are always true if the words are used correctly. Bismarck is the
    capital of North Dakota. He made it for her with his own hands. All dogs are
    mammals. You need to prepay in advance.

As indicated by the last example, sometimes tautologies are redundant.

Granni, you can appreciate the beauty of the orchids without knowing anything
    about them. I think that was what Keats was saying in his 'Ode on a Grecian Urn' .
    But his ode is too long. It would take a couple dozen bumper stickers to convey
    his version. I say, if it doesn't fit on a bumper sticker or a T shirt, it's not

Diane, I hope Faithy's eye clears up. Your shoulder too. Yes, I agree. Great minds
    think alike. Probably true of small minds too. Ha Ha!

Julie, I hope the Father's Day Gathering went off without a hitch. Send us a
    report when you feel up to it. Maybe you can catch up on your rest this week.

Hugs, Kids

gb66 likes this.
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Dear Porchies,

Have so much to do today and cannot stay on. Had a nice Fathers Day here yesterday. Need to get dressed do some weeding and prepare for our trip tomorrow. Haven't done much of anything yet in that regard.

Thinking of you all and ready MIKIE's posts. Sorry I have to run. Just wanted to tell you all I'll miss you for a few days and hope all had a nice weekend. See you when I get back and probably won't get back on today.

JULIE - Thinking of you esp when you have your angiogram.

MIKIE - Thanks for starting us up again.

Love you all,
    Granni :)
  4. Granniluvsu

Julie = I am sneaking on here for a minute and have to run. Go ahead and post it. It was the family that live up here and my son and his wife.

Glad you had a fun day with everyone and that the girls all helped you. That is what daughters are for :)! Son's too/. DS worked on the computer some and cleaned it up.

Need to get outside to work and then work in here and get ready to go.

BTW, I can pick up some posts on the phone but cannot pot. To much work and it won't take my PW for some reason.

Love you all.
  5. Granniluvsu

Popping in for a minute. Thanks Julie for posting my pictures. It is our DD, her DH and Son along with DS and DDIL and myself and DH. Sorry not looking at the pics and so they are not in that order, DD#1 and her family could not be there. She is on a church mission trip with one of the twins. I think they may be home today after a trip to one of the swim or water parks. DD#4 will be here to see us all on July 3rd. Didn't make the celebration July 4th so her son who works in WM could attend. Poor kids is always working on holidays,

Just looked at the PIC as DDIL was taking that pic so she was not in it. The chubby one is my DS :)!!!

Need to get cracken. Hi also to ROCK, SPRING , DIANE and everydobby else. Off to pack some more.

Love you.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  6. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I thought I would post a few pics. taken at the Chihuly Museum.......I took a ton of pic. on the trip but nothing I'm going to scream about though.

Barry: The second one is a plant I've never seen before. Had to track down the gardener to find out what it was.......a sea holly. Really beautiful

Attached Files:

7. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi all!

Been flyin' low the last few weeks. Just popped in to check out what's up with everyone. Nice looking family Granni! Have to hit the hay soon. I miss y'all.

8. Granniluvsu

Beautiful pics SUN. Hope you had a great time. I am guessing you did but did not read any other posts. I will be anxious to check on any pics you might post. I will be gone for a couple of days starting tomorrow. So glad you got a chance to get away and have some relaxation and to see something really different. We went there years ago and it was really something wonderful and different.

DAR - Nice for you to pop in. Sorry you haven't been doing to well lately. Hang in there girl.

Need to go wash my mop so need to leave for now. See you all in a couple of days.

Love you awl,
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, Porchies,

Nothing too exciting to report. I think the battery has gone kapoot on my laptop. It's no longer taking a charge. I just replaced it not too long ago. Guess I had better get another one soon. The battery gets really hot when I'm online. We had one hellova storm last night. Lightning was striking all over around me and one must have been right above our bldg. Yikes!!!:eek:

Julie, it sounds as though our little storm was nothing compared to what happened close to you. Glad you and yours are OK. Also glad the appts. will soon come to an end or, at least, not be as frequent. Good luck with the angiogram; I'm praying for you.

Granni, that is a good looking family. No wonder you like to hang out with them. I'm praying you have a safe trip and enjoy it. Drink a Margarita for me.

Sun, great pics. That flower is amazing. I haven't seen those Chihuly pieces. His work is so different and beautiful. Thanks for posting them. Hope you are resting up from the trip.

Dar, come back when you can stay. Hope you are feeling better.

Rock, loooooved the jokes. The only thing better than puns are jokes using play on words. Fortunately, neither Tweety nor Sir Vester scratches the furniture now but I never say never. Could you please ask Gordon why the cluster flowers on my catt are half the size of the original single bloom. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I had better leave as this laptop is getting really hot.

Love, Mikie
  10. Granniluvsu

Just popping in to check to see how all is going on, if anything.

JULIE - It looks like you all had your excitement for the year or longer. Glad you all are safe and now have your electricity back on, especially for G pa's oxygen so he doesn't have to use the portable for a long time, Thanks for mentioning the picture of my family. That is only a small part of them but I take what I can get, as they are so busy:)!
    Wish DS would lose some weight and his DW who was out of that picture. She is so short that she looks even heavier than she should. She also is short wasted so she looks even heavier. Neither of them are vane and they have lots of friends. Nothing bothers my son, the opposite of his father in some ways. Good luck with your angiogram.

I need to go and get ready for our friends that are coming to meet us so we can follow each other.

MIKIE - I am sure I (we) will have at least a few Margaritas :)!! One of the gals going has kidney problems as well as a fib. Hoping she make the whoe trio and doesn't have to come home early. I told her to just rest in the afternoon and put her feet up. I don't think she does much at home anyway with the help of her DH. She has been having a lot of swelling in her feet and legs. I told her to try cutting way back on the salt. That is so hard to do I know.

Love to awl,
  11. rockgor

Hi Kids

How nice to see that we are all in our places with sunshiny faces. I am
    rereading a book called How To Talk Minnesotan. It came out in the 80s
    and has now been updated. It's similar to Garrison Keillor which makes a lot
    of sense as the author Howard Mohr was a writer and performer for that show.

As you may know, the official state food in Minnesota is the hot dish. There
    are currently over 3,700 hot dish recipes in MN including some new ones
    for the adventurous: Spaghetti tuna hotdish; Back of the refrigerator hot
    dish; and Hamburger Cashew Hotdish. At the state fair dozens of booths
    offer food on a stick such as: Tater tot hotdish; chicken nachos; deep fried
    smores; and macaroni and cheese.

Julie, thanks for putting up Granni's family picture. If loss of electricity was the
    extent of the tornado damage, I'd say folks were lucky. The only good tornado
    was the one in Wizard of Oz and even that one killed somebody. The village my
    brother the cop lives in was almost destroyed over a century ago. My home town,
    not many miles away, has never been hit by a tornado. We had the old fashioned
    kind of cellar with outside doors (as in W. of Oz) we could have retreated to.

Good luck with the angiogram. That word reminds me of an Angie I knew. I
    finally remembered who. I thought it was a coworker, but it was actually a
    gal at school. She was beautiful and had a lovely mezzo voice. I used to listen
    to her sing in the practice rooms of the music building now and then.

Mikie, glad to hear your legs are some better. I passed along your orchid question
    to Gordoni. I ordered some more cartoon books from the library. I think when we
    are thankful for the good things in life we sometimes overlook cartoons. I believe
    there is room for an organization to promote cartoon appreciation. (So long as I am
    not asked to participate.) OK, Gordon says your catt is behaving normally. Previously
    it put all its energy into a single bloom. Now that better care is being taken of it,
    it has distributed that energy into several smaller blooms.

Hope you have a nice trip, Granni. Gordon and I were in San Antonio a long time
    ago. In the 80s I guess. A place completely different than places I've lived:MN
    or CA or NV. I still have a leather Alamo magnet on the fridge.

Sun, thanks for the great pics. Never before did I see a sea holly. Wonder if it's also
    poisonous. Gordon loved the first pic. Greatly enlarged it could pass for a float
    in the Mardi Gras parade.

Hi, Dar. Come back when you can. Hi to Springwater, Barry, Diane, et. al.

12. sunflowergirl

Granni and Julie: thanks for sharing the pic. It's always nice to see what everyone looks like. I've seen a pic of Mikie years ago so I guess we need to see Rock and Gordon and Diane.

Julie: WHEW.....scary!!!! I know I couldn't live in tornado country. Happy to read that everyone is OK. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow and saying a prayer.

Mikie: And you too had some WEATHER yesterday!!!! Strange weather all over the country. Did I mention it was HOT in Skagway, actually humid. And the glaciers are melting a lot. We went to the Mendenhall glacier and they showed pics. taken over 100 years ago and then about every 20 years. Dramatic changes. I sure believe there is global warming going on. It may be cyclical but it's definitely here.

Rock: That sea holly is draught tolerant, so great for So. Calif. The pic. doesn't do it justice. It's got almost a powdery lavender look to it. I might search it out at Armstrong Nurseries for next year. I have to go there today. I've got mosquito larvae swimming in my saved water and need to buy something to kill them safely. Is it hot enough for you?

The few glass pics. I posted really don't do justice to Dale Chihuly's work. By the way, he lost his eye about 30 years ago and then another auto accident gave him back/shoulder damage so he supervises his workers and is unable to work the glass anymore. The very bright all over pic. was a shot of a ceiling. There was clear glass on the ceiling and a myriad of colored glass above it. I'll try to post a few more pics. to let you see this talented artist's work.

Mikie: The museum mentioned his work around the world. I can't locate them though.....would like to watch the videos. They were running them but we were unable to stay long enough to see them.

I'm heading to the doctor this morning to get my large blister checked out. After 6 days it should have gone down, and I'm concerned I picked up a staph infection (cellulitis) It's turned RED and is still water filled. Bummer.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

DD#1 just called with some sad news. DSIL's Uncle Dickie has died. Y'all may know him as Dick Van Patten. He starred in a weekly TV series, "Eight Is Enough," back in the 80's. He's also done some movies. He was in "Space Balls." His real talent was for the stage. I saw him in "Picnic" and he was wonderful. He played the roomer/traveling salesman. He left his wife, Pat, and three sons. One son, Vinnie, is married to one of the "Housewives of Beverly Hills." They are a really nice family. DSIL lost his Dad this last year and this will be another difficult loss for him.

My battery just conked out for good and I have to buy a new one. I am using an old one but it won't take a charge. Mtg. went well. Think we made progress finding a good spot to plant the memorial tree for my friend who died of lung cancer. She is the one who got me into orchids. One of the ones I got from her hangs in the tree in front and has become a memorial plant for her. Picked up Rx at Target. Other than that, not much to tell.

Granni, I NV you, visiting SA and drinking Margaritas. Sorry your friend isn't well. Yes, it's really difficult to cut back on salt. I'm finding that aging is just making one adjustment after another. Whine, whine, whine! Have a good time. I may not be there with you but won't stop me from hoisting a Margarita.

Rock, thanks for asking Gordon about my orchid. Funny thing--the purple one had full size blooms, even in clusters. This green one is a fairly young plant so, perhaps, it will have larger blooms next time. I'm beginning to think that the bigger, older and uglier the plant, the better the blooms. I agree with you about cartoons. I loved "The Far Side" cartoons. We always bought the books of them and they cracked us up. I grew up reading "Mad Magazine," probably one of the best sources for cartoons. As a tween, I lived on "Archie" comic books. As they say, I'll see ya in the funny papers.

Sun, AACK! I hope you get that blister taken care of. I think you can order Chihuly videos online. The art museum down in Naples has one of those clear glass ceilings with the colored glass on top, all lit up. They had to make it one way or people would be bumping into one another. What a shame about the glaciers. I'm so glad you got to go.

Speaking of going...think I should shuffle along but not to Buffalo.

Lots of love,
  14. sunflowergirl

Julie: Toss everything that belongs to sis in HER room.....it IS still Gpa's house.........and remind her whose name is on the deed. She could care less about any of you. She goes out of her way to be nasty and disagreeable. I thought Gpa was living with you guys permanently? This is very hard on you having to DRIVE here there and everywhere. What will happen when you crash?????

Mikie: I'm sorry to read that Dick Van Patten passed away. I always enjoyed his acting.

Diane: What a pretty lady you are! Yes, I've posted one of me. I don't like pics. taken of me so I avoid a camera like the plague.

I got some ABX for a week for the infected blister which is about the size of the nail on my middle finger and is all puffy. She did tell me what to watch for in case it goes into cellulitis. So I spent $35 total to treat this stupid thing......what a waste of $.
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, Porchies,

Nothing much to tell. Just having my coffee and am going to read the paper before I get ready to go to the pool. I didn't go Mon. because I was too tired. This fatigue and leg/hip pain is getting to me. I ordered a new battery for my laptop from Amazon yesterday and it should be here tomorrow. Soooo glad it's just the battery. I love this computer sooooo much.

Julie, I don't know what the answer is but I think right now, you are really in a crunch with GPA's appts. and yours, all of which are necessary and need to be done now and can't be put off. I think things will eventually settle down and when they do, you can manage your time and appts. more easily. Then, you can space things out so you are not running from one appt. to another. In the meantime, just do your best. I think one thing I would do is never depend on sis for anything. It is more stressful for you because, for whatever reason, she is either mentally incapable of being a decent human being or she is so passive/aggressive that she thrives on your angst. In either case, she is toxic, toxic, toxic to you and GPA.

I know how much you love to help your kids but, until the load lightens with GPA a bit, I think they can fend for themselves. If something doesn't give, you are going to crash and not be able to help anyone. I am worried about you. And, yes, someone needs to go over to GPA's and get her stuff outta his space. She puts him in danger with her hoarding. In fact, I worry that she is a danger to him. There must be an office for Elderly Affairs in your county where they can offer some resources to help with GPA. There are respite caregivers who can come to the home. GPA should be paying for that care and, if he can't, consider selling his place. In fact, if sis knows that might happen, perhaps she would do her part. On the other hand, I don't trust her to care for him at all. You are in my prayers every day. Please, just take care of you too.

Diane, soooo nice to see you. Geez, if I looked that good after being out working in the sun, I'd be one happy woman. One DD and I have to work at looking good. Other DD never looks bad. We'd hate her if we didn't love her so much. :) What pretty cats you have. I hope Faithy's eye is better by now. I think there is a new pic of me on our community's website. If it is a decent one, I'll try to copy it to here. I've lost 16 pounds since it was taken. Website was down yesterday so will check again today.

Sun, glad you got some ABX for the blister. I hope it goes away fast. Whenever I have to spend $$$s on my car or for medical treatments, I just send up a prayer of thanks that I am able to take care of things. I don't like to spend my money that way either but, somehow, the prayer makes me feel better about it. Are you used to being home again yet? Hope so.

Well, Kids, today I have a real paper newspaper to read so will get to it. Hope all y'all have a good day.

Love, Mikie
  16. rockgor

Hi Kids

Just woke up from a nap. I feel full of energy; eager to get things done and,
    Oh Wait. That was several decades ago. "Never mind," as Gilda Radner used
    to say.

We went to the bank this morning and are going to the library tonight. Gordon
    says we have ten books waiting. Sun, I started a book by Stuart Woods earlier
    today. He has written lots of thrillers. In this one a wealthy art collector dies.
    It is discovered that some of his works by Picasso, Braques and Modigliani
    are fakes. Possibly the real works were swiped by the guy who did some
    restoration work years earlier. BTW, you ever see that hotel in East
    Hollywood that was painted to look like the work of some famous artist I
    can't remember? Thin stripes of red, yellow and blue on a white background.

Mikie, I saw Picnic both on stage and at the cinema. The playwright Wm
    Inge had 4 big hits in the 50s. All made into movies. Dick Van Patten
    wasn't making movies then though. We used to buy his dog food for
    Zippy when Zippy was a senior. It was expensive, but recommended by
    the vet. Wikipedia says Van Patten was a founder of the company; its
    headquarters is in Burbank.

Nice pics, Diane. I'd post one if I had one and knew how to post it. Oh, I
    know. You know what Rock Hudson looked like, right? Just imagine the
    opposite. That's me. (Or more grammatically, that's I.) Gotta go. Be
    back later.

17. springwater

springwater Active Member

Hello All

Computer taking its time to download pics, i was trying to see the one with Diane 'un camera shy' ..Diane thank you for posting...indeed looks like your baby loves posing..

Sun - thanks for the pictures...what a colourful work of art and so complicated - i think i made out a crane..

Granni - wow, you and your DH are one fit couple, love the clothes you are wearing..lovely family

Its raining . maybe thats why the pc is taking its own sweet time

Julie - sorry about your sunflowers..what volatile weather you are having

Mikie - i hope your leg and hip are better soon..

needs to go get breakfast for DH

18. sunflowergirl

Rock: Let me know if you like the book. I'm always looking for novels centered around art. I just finished listening to a very different book because it was only the first person speaking to the other person. This character is a famous artist who has an old "friend?" sitting for him, so of course the second person can't talk or move. The author is Iain Pears and the title is "The Portrait". But you run the gamit of emotions as he talks, unleashing all the history, good and bad, of the relationship with this sitter for the portrait. He's written other things so will have to check into it.

Julie: I guess you got good news......sort of. My youngest son has blockage on both sides, 20 on one and 30 on the other. He was told nothing can be done until you're up over 50% I believe. I think it was Barry who also mentioned his blockage. And I'm sure that stress contributes a lot to your problems but then you know that.

Spring: I don't think there were any images to see......the ceiling above the glass was literally covered with blown glass discs etc.
  19. rockgor

Hi Kids

Sun, I was leafing through the Daedalus catalog, and when I came to the arts and
    crafts section, Mondrian popped into my head. Well, I was pretty sure it started
    with an M, but it wasn't Michelangelo or Matisse or Modigliani. Hard to imagine
    a ten story building painted like this, but it was. Piet Mondrian was a Dutch
    painter. Died during WWII.

Julie, did they insert the dye in your wrist? When will it be OK again? With all
    the stuff you do, you should really have an extra hand. Or maybe a hired hand.
    Almost all the farmers around us had a hired hand when I was a kid. Sad to
    hear that Denhenge was damaged. Maybe it will spring back like a spring bok
    or Springwater.

Springwater, the rain often slows down our computer. Why not yours too?
    What are you fixing for breakfast? Let me guess. Curried eggs benedict?
    Note: even though eggs benedict involves hollandaise sauce it is not a
    French recipe. It comes from the same place Waldorf salad does.

Ah. Gordoni just sent me a message via bullhorn. He is back. I'd better go
    see what books he picked up.

Below is a painting by Mondrian and a springbok. The Mondrian has 4 sides
    and the springbok has four legs.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Morning, Kids,

Julie, so glad to see your post and also glad there were no serious blockages. I do pray for you all and GPA every day. I'm glad everyone is pitching in to help you. You have such a nice family. I hope you can rest up a bit.

Rock, so glad Gordon is getting his 99 cents' worth outta that bullhorn. Yes, Dickie was always into something. He sold the petfood business but remained a spokesperson for it. It has been hailed as one of the best foods for pets and he used to say a person can eat it too and he'd take a bite. He started out playing Nels on the radio show, "I Remember Mama." One of his sons is named Nels. His wife, Pat, was a June Taylor dancer. They were never flashy show business people. They were a hard working, respected family. Mel Brooks was one of his best friends. Hope DSIL is doing better with his grieving.

Spring, the hips and legs are a mystery to me and my doc. Hope you are doing well and able to keep cool. It is sweltering here in the afternoons. That's why I love the mornings so much.

Gonna go read the online newspaper. I have to see the ENT later this morning. AACK!!!

Love, Mikie