Porch 824 is CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ConfusedInPA, Jul 16, 2015.

1. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Please come and visit with us, sit with us on the porch.

Put your feet up, have a lemonade or an iced tea. Maybe sit on the swing.

That's what the PORCH is -- a place to sit and visit. Talk, vent, laugh. And etc.

Remember to go back to Porch 823 to read the last posts there.

I'm enjoying the sunshine! We're having a great day here. No humidity, light breezes, beautiful sunshine.

I better enjoy it, 'cause the thunderstorms and humidity move back in tomorrow! :(

Gotta go for now. Y'all are in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and hugs,
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Diane, thanks for opening a new Porch. I'm sorry that I can't remember much from the last Porch and the pages here are so slooooow loading.

Granni, I wear the longer Capris in the winter and the ones just above the knee for summer. I guess one could call those Bermuda's. I have some shorts too which are mid-thigh. Same old, same old every day.

Sun, I will finish my pics. It's often very difficult to know when an abstract is done. I knew when I put the first two colors on those paintings that I wanted to do more with them but just haven't gotten around to them. I think only the artist can decide when a piece is done.

I was just here checking e-mails and dropped in. I'm very tired again today and it's been gray, hot and thundering all day. AACK!!!

See y'all in the mornin'

Love, Mikie
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Nice to hear form DIANE today and that she is having a beautiful day. Yes that will also make you feel better too. Thanks also DIANE for closing down and opening up the new one. Hope you will be able to come back and visit again soon. Miss you when you are gone, including other dear Porchies who can't make it here as often. Just to remember that PORCHIES are people that come by, even once to say hi and then maybe feel like they can't keep up with the talkers of the group (I being one of them, when I have the computer and actually find the time to think and chat).

MIKIE - Sorry you are still feeling puny. I think the weather can really contribute to that feeling. I also have capris and Bermudas and pants of all lengths. I even remember the Pedal Pushers which I think were pants just al ittle bit below the knee. It has been so long I can't exactly remember. I think I have some shorts or whatever you want to call them that are close to what the Pedal Pushers were. The Capris are similar but much longer. Growing up I loved Pedal Pushers and lived in jeans when we girls were "allowed" to wear them. We got all dolled up for church in hats, dresses, and even gloves way back when. I hated to wear hats and took them off as fast as possible :)!!!

Glad you got some rain but hope that it doesn't ruin your days. Let it rain at night, or evening when all are home from work or their daily activities. However, it doesn't always end up that way.

JULIE - Thinking of you all day and all of your situations. SUN brought up a good point with G pa. Is he taking aspirin or any blood thinning meds.? These could be also causing or aggravating his problem. If he is talk to the doc about lowering the dosage or eliminating whatever he has been taking. Hope his bleeding will be a thing of the past soon. I know how aggravating that can be when DH had that problem but that was so many years ago. However, as said before when he sneezes he opens his mouth to take the stress of his nostrils, but G pa will probably forget anyway and do it the way he knows how to sneeze :)!!

I know this been such a hectic and sad time for you. Just keep praying for strength. Time is helpful too so be patient. You will never be over it considering how physically close you all have been to each other. When you feel like that you can always text or call her but of course not to much as to upset her too. Prayers go out to all of you. You can always vent here on the Conversations forum. That really does help some.

I posted towards the end of the last volume after I lost one post. Just give you an idea of my day today and the weekend. Check back if you would like and also to see any others that may have posted.

I am now waiting for the cleaning ladies to come.

Love to everydobby,
    Granni :)
  4. Granniluvsu

Julie - Is Gpa on a baby aspirin or a regular on. If on a baby aspirin he should probably stay on it. If he is on the regular aspirin wonder if he could cut it in half or something. To bad Den or David can't go with you all tomorrow I guess you don't mind driving so it should be a piece of cake for you but not quiet. Coming home it will be. Maybe this will be like a little vacation ( with all the kiddos ) :)!! ARE WE THERE YET ?????????

Good luck and need to get out of this room so they can clean it.

God bless !

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Gordon went to an orchid meeting last night. He took a couple of plants to give to
    friends and bought one and won a ribbon and I forget all the details, but anyhoo
    he had a good time.

Mikie, yes, I read a couple times that the children in To Kill A Mockingbird were
    Harper and Truman Capote. Have you seen Capote's A Christmas Memory?
    He wrote the short story in the 50s. It was made into a TV film in the 60s
    with the wonderful Geraldine Page. I think it's the best thing Capote ever wrote.
    Another TV film of the same story was made in the 90s, but it didn't have
    the magical quality the first program did. To me it's like Charles Dickens
    A Christmas Carol. It never grows stale.

I hope you and all our porchers have nice weather today and feel, if not
    well, at least some better than usual.

Granni, sorry to hear about that lost post. It is soooooooooooo frustrating!
    Actually a lost anything-wallet, keys, address-tends to be frustrating. Except
    weight, of course.

Julie, why did Gpa have go to a different hospital? Or is it too long a story
    to go into? Good luck with the long drive to Tennessee. Remember when
    Lucy and the gang went to Bent Fork in Tennessee. That's where Tennessee
    Ernie Ford lived.

Sun, is your son an artist? Or does he do something else to earn a living and
    art for fun? Do you still have your 3 piece suit? I used to have a few 3 piece
    suits but I didn't let the news get out. I kept that info close to my vest. BTW,
    I recently read that the expression "keep it close to your vest" came from
    playing poker. After all, you don't want the other players to see your cards.

Thanks for opening up the porch, Diane. If you have a thunderstorm today,
    I hope it's the pleasant kind that is dramatic and entertaining w/o doing any
    damage. Reminds me of that old song: Oh, nothing will entertain-ya than
    to be in Pennsylvania when there's thunder and some rain-ya in the
    mor-or-orn-ing. You remember. Fred and Ethel sang it.

Springwater, hope things are fine at your place. Hugs to Barry, and other
    MIAs as Granni says.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, Porchies,

I think I have a clue as to why we are losing our posts. Microsoft just did an update without warning and I lost everything. If it's updating my computer, it's likely updating all of them. This isn't a good day by any stds. Tweety woke at 3:00, yowling to come in. I let them in, gave them treats and went back to bed. They got on the bed and were quiet for a while before the smackdown began. Then, they started their kitty games, yowling to draw each other into a game of chase. Finally, Tweety started using the new area rug for a scratching pad. Everything I put down on the floor they lie on, pee on or scratch. I sprayed a cat repellant on the rug and Tweety just lay on it. They are soooo good and then, seems as though the devil gets stored up inside them and they resort to their evil ways.

As though that isn't bad enough, I feel like crap! I have a sinus headache, my stomach is hurting and I ache all over. I may have to get another peptide booster. Whine, whine, whine!!! I think the all-day rain yesterday got my allergies riled up. It is a beautiful morning, with everything fresh and green. The sun is hitting that little hanging squash blossom lanai decoration and the crystals are sparkling like diamonds. Unfortunately, I had to close the blinds as the sun has shifted just enough to come directly in earlier now. Also, the landscapers are cutting the grass and it's noisy. I put a note on my front door not to ring as I'm sick. Our landscaper likes to visit me when they are here. I'm just not up to it.

Granni, back in the 50's when I was growing up, we wore our jeans on Saturdays with them rolled up at the bottom and wore them with big white men's dress shirts. With our hair in ponytails, and our Keds on our feet, we were ready for the weekend. On Sundays, I always wore hats to church, especially when I got older. I thought hats were so sophisticated. We dressed up when we went shopping in Denver back then. No one would go to Downtown Denver without dressing up. We even wore short white gloves with our dresses. Glad we shed those dress stds. I am a stay-at-home kinda person who loves casual. Of course, it's fun to dress up a bit when going to the symphony or wearing dressy casual out for a lunch with the women here in the hood. I do get a bit bored now and then with my clothes but the comfort wins out every time. Even my dressy casual clothes are comfy. Only my birthday suit seems a bit baggy and wrinkled.

Julie, you are in my thoughts and prayers as you prepare for the trip. Of all times for GPA to require medical intervention...I just hope everything goes more smoothly from here on. I also hope you enjoy your trip home by yourself. I also like to drive by myself. It's peaceful. I'm wondering about the aspirin too. It's not unusual for the doc to prescribe baby aspirin for those at risk of strokes. It's not as harsh as the regular aspirin. In any case, this trip should be about the kids and you and you shouldn't have to worry about GPA, no matter what sis tries to pull. I pray all goes well and safely for you and the kids.

Rock, I think I did see Capote's "Christmas Memory" a long time ago. I'll have to see whether it's on Netflix or Amazon. Speaking of Amazon, apparently their big sale day was a hug success for them but to me, it was worth nothing. If a sale can't lure me in, it's not much of a sale! Gordon is always winning a prize. He must be one great orchid grower. If you read above, you can see how whiny I am today. I hope you get some rain but not one which brings allergies with it. Our day consisted of two gully washers which really filled up our little pond. It's good to refill the aquafiers but kept me from the pool on Wed. and made for a gray sky yesterday all day. Still, it's better than a drought. I pray for rain in the West.

Well, kids, I have to go. No time to edit so any typos will have to stay. Have a great day.

Love, Mikie
  7. Granniluvsu

JULIE - Not sure if you will see this as you are probably driving and driving to Tennessee. Curious who you got to be with on that drive or did the kids take turns other than Josiah :)!!! Hope all goes well and that G pa doesn't have any more nosebleeds while you are gone or ever for that matter. I know you will enjoy your quiet drive home even though you might be shedding a few normal tears. Check back when you can.

MIKIE - I agree with you about being comfy in my clothes. Most of my clothes are comfy and not to dressy but do need to go through my closet and get rid of some stuff that I haven't been wearing or is really out of style. However, as you know, if you keep something long enough it comes back. Went shopping with DD a week or so ago and a lot of the old bell bottoms and silky type pants are back in, also with lots of colors and designs on them. I do tend to wear a lot of the same clothes over and over again and then find something that is NEW to me again in the closet. Yes, we wore our jeans with legs rolled up some . Pony tails were really in with me too although I didn't wear them much as I don't think my hair was quite long enough. It was HIGH FASHION with us teens though at that time too. Oh yes, dressing up to go to the store although we didn't live in the big city so we were a bit more casual than they.

Those kitties sound like little children who normally do what they like to do whatever the time of day or night. You would think they should be tired. Of course kitties usually do a lot of sleeping during the day too so they might not have been too tired, esp the one who started the whole fiasco.

Trying to rest a bit as we get ready to go with DD#2 and #4 and DH's and one DGS to the Astros ball game in the big city. Not looking forward to being out in the heat or walking part of the way but it should be fun to cheer and be with everyone. These 2 daughters are so gung ho about sports they get you all reved up. I borrowed an Astros shirt from DD#2 who has a stash of them ready to wear. It should be fun and hope we see a good game. Winning would of course be the best senerio but who knows lately. Hope they get back to their winning ways soon again.

Hi also to ROCK, SPRING WATER, DIANE, ELAINE and our many MIA;s !! Need to run and do a few things this morning before we get ready to go. TTYAL !!

Love to everydobby,
  8. rockgor

Hi Kids

Julie, I was wondering how your trip was going. Nice to find a message from you.
    How things have changed in our lifetime. And just think of the brave pioneers who
    headed West in the 19th century knowing they would probably never see the
    family they left behind again. So do I have the logistics right? You and Lindsey are
    each driving a vehicle and the four kids are switching around from one car to the other?
    Hope your voyage continues to be bon.

Ok Kids, Know who this is? [​IMG]
    I saw her on TV last night. Gordon was watching a filmed stage presentation of
    Driving Miss Daisey. The above pic is from 1946 when the actress played a dance
    hall girl in The Harvey Girls. She was 21. Is now 89. Don't know exactly when
    the new Driving Miss Daisey film was made. I know I sure couldn't remember
    my lines if I were in it.

Mikie, I hope you feel better today than you did yesterday. What did you mean about
    Microwave and an update? Is it doing something with the board's computer or with
    yours? I have to disagree with you, Young Lady. You are not whiny. But if you want
    to share what's going on, you have to report the good and the bad. Like our news
    sources do. Boy, I sure have lost faith in them in the past few years! Uff-day!
    With regard to the kitties, have you explained to them that your home is meant to
    provide gracious living? It is not a kitty theme park.

Granni, here's something else we have in common. I used to wear old bell bottoms
    too. They were authentic. Belonged to my uncle the sailor. He served, as I previously
    mentioned, in both WW II and Korea.

Not much going on here. I received a communication (i.e. a picture but no message)
    from an old college (Oh, Kids. My mind is really going. Took 3 tries to spell college.)
    an old college roommate. He lived in a neighboring village; knew him before we
    went off to school. He usually puts out a Christmas letter of some sort. Tends to be
    on the cryptic side. I suspect his message is that we are now three fourths of a century

Hugs to Springwater, Diane, Barry, Sun, et. al.

Oh My Gosh! The picture got huge when I posted. Well, maybe it will
    shrink after while. I never will understand computers. Not if I live
    to be 70.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, Porchies,

Thank God! The cats stayed outside until 6:00. It's usually that way; they are ornery one night and then, they go back to being soooo good. I got a lot of sleep after a day of doing nothing. I figured out that I was Herxing. I had taken an ABX I had left over; it's a broad-spectrum ABX. My gum between the new fillings had swollen and it hurt up into my palate. I took some fine grit wet 'n dry sandpaper and just widened the gap between them. I know it sounds awful but that's basically what the dentist uses but he didn't leave enough space and food was getting caught up by the gum. I wanted to be sure it didn't get infected. Well, something was infected as I had a big Herx, pointing to a lot of bacteria dieoff. I'm still not 100 percent (well, when am I ever 100 percent?) but much better.

Another dear old friend, my soulmate from SC, had called me last Sun. but, somehow, I missed the call and the voice mail. I sent him an e-mail this morning. Haven't heard from him in a while and do want to talk to him. Wish I had the NRG to drive up to visit him and his Mom. She asked me to come but that's quite a drive. If I made it to Myrtle Beach, he would likely drive us both up to see her in NC. Barb also called but I was asleep. She sounded good on the voice mail. I'll call her today. I need to call the A/C man this week to get him out to check the compressor and air exchanger. I put a piece of heavy cardboard on the floor of the exchanger where it is corroded and the acrid, metallic odor is gone. I need to ask the guy how to treat the corrosion and spray something over it.

Rock, that, I believe, is Angela Landsberry who was a hot number in her day. She later starred in "Murder, She Wrote" on TV, one of my favorite shows. I think the family in LA knows her. I saw a group of kids on TV. They are called, American Authors, and I really liked their head-bobbing music. It had pep and didn't sound blah and draggy like so many today. I need to check them out online. They were all trained as traditional musicians. It's Microsoft, not microwave, which has been doing updates to my computer. If one has XP, or an older version, it probably no longer updates. I have Windows 7 so I still get the updates. I will download Windows 10 when it's available. I have already reserved it for this laptop but can't find the little icon on my 8.1 Surface to reserve it. I just hope 10 is better than 8.1. Again, whine, whine, whine!!! Oops, sorry, I'm not a whiner. No one, 'cept maybe professional computer geeks understand computers. I learned on a $2.6 million CAD/CAM system and have used them since before the IBM XP's were in use. Still, I don't understand them. The more complex they become, the less I understand. I'm suffering from aphasia today; I cannot get words from my brain to my mouth or my fingers. Aphasia is a potential side effect of taking Special K so I guess I could blame it on that. Heck, why not. Hope your computer behaves itself.

Granni, I am so glad I grew up in the 50's and 60's. It seems to me that we early Baby Boomers had one heckova good time. Just the music alone was wonderful. Don't know whether I mentioned that I saw an analysis on TV about the major music genres since WWII. Of course, Rock 'n Roll was one of them. After the death of JFK and the British Invasion, nothing was ever the same. I felt displaced in my own life. Viet Nam was just another nail in the coffin of my youth and innocence. I guess Pearl Harbor did the same to my Mom's generation. I know Korea had the same effect on those who came a bit later. "Blowin' In The Wind" asked the question..."When will they ever learn?" but no one seems to have ever learned. Well, here I am off on an anti-war rant on such a fine morning. Sorry, just had to vent. I am trying to wear more of the things I don't wear too often but seem to gravitate back to the comfy stuff I wear for everyday. Someone said we wear 20 percent of our clothes 80 percent of the time and I think that sounds about right. If anything happens to me, Goodwill will strike it rich!

Julie, glad you decided to stop and not to try to get through rush hour traffic. Half way is a good place to stop, get refreshed and get going again. We are all praying for all of you on this journey. Rock mentioned the early Pioneers. When the kids were small, we went to Scottsbluff, NE where one can still see the covered wagon ruts left when the Pioneers set out for the West on, I believe, the Santa Fe trail. On top of the bluff, one can see several states on a clear day. It was one of the best vacations we ever took. Right up there with Disneyland. At the time, "Little House On The Prairie" was a big hit. Later on, "The Waltons" was a big hit and mirrored my Mom's life when she was growing up in NE. Well, I can't seem to stay on topic today. Just wanted to tell you thanks for updating us. Stay safe.

Don't know whether I'll get anything done or not today. The morning rain is hitting about 30 miles up the coast from us. I need to clean the lanai but am not sure I have what it takes. That's one of my least favorite chores. I'm going to go read the newspaper online. I see on the news that there are wildfires in CA, east of LA. OMG! That's the last thing CA needs right now. It's burning cars on the interstate and people are running for their lives from their cars. Prayers going up.

Love, Mikie
  10. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Rock: My son got his fine arts degree which surprised me with his major since he NEVER seemed to have any interest in artistic lines. Then after he graduated he realized he wasn't going to be able to make a living so he went back to Jr. college and took some classes of computer art, etc. He works in a printing company, doing the computer graphics or whatever. The few large paintings he brought back home after he graduated were very good AND interesting, but I doubt he will do anything along those lines anymore. He works longs hours, and does a lot of the work of taking care of their one year old, plus he does the cooking! My DIL has no inclination to cook.

I didn't know there was a stage version of Driving Miss Daisy. I'll have to do a search for it online. I always liked Angela Lansbury....loved Murder she wrote.

Julie: good that you posted l/2 way to let us know how things are going. I think you mentioned that you are ready for this "new phase" of your life......that's good. Have a safe journey.

Mikie: I heard there was flooding about an hr. from where I live. Well, that surprised me. This morning the skies are dark with a little sprinkles. I'm ready with empty water containers to catch any runoff from the gutters.....I'm hoping and praying. It's doing a lot of thundering too.

I think I'm fighting off a stomach bug.......stomach ache off and on for 4 days, and I seem to be exhausted at times. One night I slept off and on over 12 hrs. which is unheard of for me. Most night I can barely make it to 8 PM before I give in.

I drug myself to my art gathering yesterday, just because I NEED conversation. I talked a little more with one of the fellow artists who has been divorced from her husband since january so she's going thru transition. She's 64 and he is 84 and was telling me how it took 10 years to realize she was being mentally and physically abused. She also has FM and we commiserated on the bad fatigue that hits us out of the blue. And I thought this morning that she has had FM for 10 years.....exactly the amount of years she had been married to him.

And one of the artists whom I met last week brought in her notebook of drawings! OMG....soooooo talented. She's Chinese, a really lovely lady, and was saying how she hadn't done anything artistic for over a year....unmotivated since her teacher stopped the class. Honestly, I'm blown away with her talent. So many very talented artists that I'm privileged to come in contact with.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  11. Granniluvsu

JULIE - So glad to hear from you and that you were half way there and took the time to stop when you realized you would have to go through the awful evening traffic. That can be so BAD. Wondering if you are there by now or almost there. Let us know when you do , if you can. I know it is hard to communicate with our list on the phones. At least I have a problem unless it come straight from the person and I can reply to it. Hope you weather was good for you to drive in and also good when you leave tomorrow. I guess you and Lindsey the only drivers? You both are so brave and especially with those little ones in the car to distract you. Did Lindsey have to stop to feed Josiah? How is he with eating real food and is she still nursing him. He is getting to be so big by now and I cannot keep track. Let us know when get home or on your way. Hope you have a nice trip home. I know it will be VERY quiet for you :)!! Yes, this will be another different chapter in your life for you and Den as well as for Lindsey , David and kids. Hopefully he was ready to eat when the others were ready to stop for lunch or whatever. Oh I remember the days when we traveled with all the kids :)!! FUN FUN FUN :)!!!

SUN - Glad you are having so much fun with your art. It can help a lot with feeling like you know what most of the time. You talk about other talented artists. You are pretty good yourself hon. Don't sell yourself short.

MIKIE - Glad you got a little better sleep which helped you feel a little better today. That surely can help. Glad that BARB seems to be having a better attitude lately. If her family is on the grumpy side I hope she keeps her better attitude. When you have grumpy ones around you all the time it surely doesn't help your own disposition. Sorry you missed her call but glad that you at least got a fairly good rest with no pesky kitties romping around to awaken you.

Had a nice time yesterday at the game and the Astros actually won for a change. I think they are in 2nd place but had been in first till they hit the skids. They past few years they have been terrible as they are a very young team. They were playing the Rangers who are from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area so when they play each other it is a big rivalry of TEXAS. We left at the 9th inning as DGS was starting to get grumpy and loud. It was a long game and as it was we got home close to midnight. DSIL drove to the monorail that took us to the Minute Maid Park. We had some beer, popcorn, hotdogs of course and soda and had a good time. I even brought a sweater in case it got chilly inside the part. In our area it was pretty warm thought. Only in the concession area did I feel much of the a/c. It was pretty warm and I do not normally get over heated. The roof was closed due to the heat. We may not go again for awhile but it was fun. DH would just as soon watch it on TV that go through all the hustle bustle to get there. Maybe if we can get seats closer down but not to expensive we will go again in awhile if DD and DH want to go. It was so nice of him drive. Had a good time even though I was exhausted, DH too. The rail was nice a had pretty cool a/c which was wonderful. So we enjoyed that.

ROCK - I know what you mean sometimes about spelling. That has always been a good or a strong point for me. However, every now and then I hit a word that drives me crazy. It never looks right and I try all kinds of spellings till I either get it or give up.

DIANE - Hope you are having an nice Saturday and that the weather is pleasant enough to make you happy. When it is gloomy and rainy for many days together it can make you feel down too. Hope you and Kevin are feeling OK or better that you had been . It is nice to see you when you pop in on the Porch.

Love to everydobby inc all our many MIA's,
  12. springwater

springwater Active Member

Hello AlL

Diane - i wish we were having your weather..if it doesnt rain, it burns. So good to see you pop into the POrch.

Rock - that picture of Angela Lansbury is so glamorous..the only other people i see wearing that kind of heavy jewellery is the British Royal family..on state visits or some such. I used to love the sailor uniform as a child. The smart square collar covering the back..so distinctive.

Sun - its so fortunate your son could use his creativity in his career...even though he might have liked to make a living as an artist..my dad didnt have a back up plan or any capabilities so we as kids suffered. I think in the end, he got an aversion to painting...never saw him paint for fun, neither did he bother to do some paintings i asked him to after i got married. What a difference from when i was five and used to see him all fired up when he got out his canvas and palette for the day. I found out there were these horrible worms in the roots of the marigolds and zinnias i bought..so we hv done spraying.

Mikie - i too wish you could have spoken to your dear friend. We used to wear pedal pushers in the 80s. You and Sun asked about my dress and where would i give it for stitching. We have readymade clothes here but its not a good fit...but we have tailors a plenty..and its not that expensive, compared to america, its about $ 6.00 to stitch the top and the trouser from the material i got. Because of being scrawny i take my readymade pants to the tailor too to get them fitted.

Julie - good to get those updates on you from the journey..i m sure the kids are going to be so excited with the new place, even if it is exhausting for the grownups..we moved around a lot after i came here, and there was an element of excitement even tho i was in my early 20s..

granni - good to hear you had a good time at the game. I watched a bit of tennis during Wimbledon..so so happy my favorite Djokovic won.

13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, Kids,

Woke early and got up at 5:00. I've had so much rest for the last three days that I really didn't need to sleep any longer this morning. I still have a Herx headache but am feeling better. My dear old friend and I are having coffee this morning. I have such bad bed-head that I'll hop into the shower at 7:00 so I'm fresh and coifed. Cats are back to being so good again, thank God! I don't think Tweety felt well yesterday and her personal hygiene wasn't good. This morning, she is back to her sassy self and all clean. Sir Vester tried last evening to clean her up but she was having none of it. She wasn't even up for a smackdown. I had to ask him to leave her alone. Both are sleeping right now.

I finished "Go Set A Watchman" yesterday. I can't say it was disappointing because I had read all the negative reviews. Most dealt with how she had changed the character, Atticus Finch, from "Mockingbird" as a civil rights lawyer before his time to a bigot in "Watchman." Of course, it's the other way around since "Watchman" was actually written first but published last. My complaint is with the quality of the writing. This was her first novel so the writing can be excused but where is the editing and rewriting? I think the publishers just got in a big hurry and cut corners. They knew this would be a top seller due to the other book and saw $$$ signs in front of their eyes instead of an embarrassing book for the author. I don't know whether the overwhelming success of "Mockingbird" caused her to be lazy or whether she didn't think she had another good story inside of her. In any case, this example shows how important working a novel through from start to polished product is for everyone.

DD#2 told me that there was a study done on cursive writing. Evidently, writing in cursive lights up a part of the brain and the conclusion was that we all should write something in cursive every day to keep our brains healthy. My handwriting is so bad now that I could, at least, use the practice. Those nuns who taught cursive must be rolling over in their graves. In school, we practiced our circles and loops to perfection. With computers and other keyboards, we don't actually need to write any more. Does this explain why we've all become attention deficit?
    I misspelled Angela Lansbury's name and I knew I should have looked it up but didn't. I have the worst problem with spelling names. When I've been this tired and Herxing, my poor pea brain doesn't work so well.

There is a big tempest in a teapot in the hood because we have a "one pet" rule. We try to enforce the one dog rule but it's impossible to know who, like me, is harboring two, or even three, cats. No one seems to care about the cats. The idiot on the board is, as usual, making a big todo about this and has "solutions" which are from outer space. Poor mgr. needs some direction so she can tell two potential new residents, who have two cats each, whether they can move in with the cats. I think we have the votes on the board to change the rule so that two cats are OK, but mgr. needs an answer now. We'll get it done in spite of having to deal with this crazy guy. We got one proposal for refinishing the pool interior and are waiting for another. I have a nagging suspicion that these will be way above what the mgr. has had us put aside in the reserves. She claims she gets prices every two years so she can prepare the budgets and she talks a good game but often doesn't come through.

Sun, I hope you do get some rain but not the flooding. I think when there is a drought, the ground gets so hard that, when it does rain, it doesn't soak in and it can flood. It's great that you capture the rainwater. We are finally getting adequate rainfall but the old weather patterns are gone. Like your DS, I wish I could have gotten a degree in fine art or some other arts and humanities area but, by the time I went back to school to finish my degree, I was in the throes of a separation and divorce and didn't have the luxury of the degree I wanted. I had to support myself so got a business degree. At least, it was in the creative part of business--marketing. I think it's so exciting for artists who use computers to produce art, whether personally or for commercial use. Movies are now so good due to computer graphics. I'm glad you got out and enjoyed meeting with the other artists. I know artists inspire one another. I can't call myself an artist but you, and your talent, inspire me. Like you, I need some conversation and am glad my old friend is coming over for coffee.

Granni, glad you had such a good time at the game. Yes, it was TX vs. TX. I'm with DH when it comes to watching games at home. The view is so much better and the prices can't be beat. OTOH, there is something exciting in actually being in the ballpark. I'm glad the Astros won. Kids and I used to take in Rockies games in Denver at Coors Field. I love the opening covers/roofs and wonder why all ballparks don't have them. No more rained out games. Why does an expensive hot dog at a game taste soooo good? I never eat them at home. Once in a while, I'll get one at the cart in front of Lowe's. Yes, Barb's whole family are a bunch of self-entitled grumps who believe the universe revolves around them. I am glad she seems to be in such a much better place mentally than before her heart attack. Guess there's nothing like a near-death experience to adjust one's attitude. My own will need adjusting if I don't start feeling better. My experience with these illnesses is one of hope, dashed over and over again with relapses. I really had thought the peptide injections were the answer. Perhaps, if I could get one every month, or every other month, they would be. As usual--whine, whine, whine!!! Did y'all get the patio doors painted? Did your roof leak in the last rainfall? Hope not.

Spring, how wonderful that you can get tailor-made clothing. It's so expensive here that almost no one can afford it. I don't know anyone who makes her own clothes anymore. I used to make some of mine and a lot of the girls' clothes when they were small. I loved dressing them the same in their little outfits. They loved my making the outfits for them. I'm sorry your Father lost his zeal for painting. It's sad that the family suffered for it. Sometimes, it's difficult for me to get excited about anything but I think it's due to health and medication. Good thing I did most everything I wanted to when I still could. Sorry about the pests in the flowers. I need to take the rest of my orchids out front and spray them. I don't know whether they will survive. My friend will call me later. If we weren't in contact for 10 yrs., we would be able to just pick up where we left off. It's so good to know someone is out there who loves me. We will always have that deep abiding love and friendship no matter what. I hope you are able to stay cool and that the tremors are gone.

Well, kids, I had better get going. I hope all y'all have a wonderful Sunday. Julie, I hope you are having a safe trip.

Love, Mikie
  14. rockgor

Hi Kids

We had rain much of yesterday. It varied from very light to moderate. We also
    had thunder and lightning which we seldom get. The power went off. Shades of
    my yute. Back in the 4os and 5os it was very common for our electricity to go
    out. My mother would bring out the old kerosene lamp. Yesterday the power
    came back on in minutes. Wouldn't have had time to find an old lamp. Wouldn't
    surprise me if there were one around here.

Mikie, I know you're a do-it-your-selfer, but your own dentistry?! Uff-da!
    You win the At-Home-Dentistry Award from the ADA. Here: pick one.
    Thanks for informative review of Harper Lee's book. I believe I'll take
    my name off the hold list. I can't believe the prices for tickets and snacks at
    the movies. And from what I read, the prices are even more outrageous
    at sports events. I enjoyed the only sports event we had in our village
    when I was a kid. Our village baseball team composed of amateurs played
    against the other small towns in the areas. I don't even know if there was an
    admission charge. I know there wasn't for kids. We used to wait in a
    farmer's field behind home plate. For returning a foul ball we got a dime.
    And for picking up pop bottles (no canned soda in those days) we got a
    credit at the food stand. The food was mostly home made and delicious.
    Great to hear you're having an old friend visit.

Springwater, I don't believe you're scrawny. Elegant and slim is more like it.
    Did you see the movie "Fiddler On The Roof"? In it the tailor is thrilled when
    he gets a pedal powdered sewing machine. "Now," he says triumphantly,
    "No more hand sewn clothes." The movie was good but the musical on
    stage was so much better. Usually is. Almost all the great movie musicals
    were written for the movies and were not originally Broadway shows.

Granni, I remember in grade school we had ten new spelling words every week.
    I found they were easy to learn if I wrote them out several times. Years later I
    read we learn faster if we involve more than one sense. For example, to remember
    a bit of info, don't just read it. Say it out loud a couple times. Of course that sort
    of stuff only applies to folks with a functioning brain. Well, I had one once.

Sun, I'd say your DIL was lucky to find a hubby who would do the cooking. Or
    maybe that was on her list for necessary qualities in a mate. My mother used to
    get annoyed at folks who told her she was lucky to have a husband who would
    cook. They were both great cooks, but my Dad never cleaned up after his
    culinary efforts. The worst was when he would clean fish. My mother said there
    were scales on the kitchen ceiling. Hope your tummy is better today.

Time to go watch Lucy. She's on for two hours every morning. And on other
    channels at different times. Jess Oppenheimer, creator, writer and producer,
    called his book Laughs, Luck...and Lucy: How I Came to Create the Most Popular
    Sitcom of All Time.

OK, I'm back. It was the episode with the seance and Ethel as the medium.
    BTW, the title of Jess Oppenheimer's book looks a little braggy. That's
    probably because Jess died and his son finished the book and wrote the

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  15. Granniluvsu

Thought I would pop in to see what was happening on the Porch today. We just went to church and had lunch, some leftovers from last night at the Mexican place. It was so good and so were those Margaritas :)!! YUMMY !! The kids left at about 10:30 today from DD's and we were at church and so said goodbye last night. Between the late hours for them esp the guys who went to the late movie to see ANTMAN. Sounds rather silly to me but that is certainly not a movie I would pay to see. DD's didn't go and DH and I didn't go for sure. Rather late also for DGS but he is always up late anyway unless it is a school night. I could never do that when I was a kid and really didn't get to go to to many movies till I started dating and now we very rarely go. The guys all went to the late movie so that DGS who was working till 8 pm could also go. That is OK unless thee might be something I would like to see then I will have to go with DD or other women. DH is not going to spend money to go to the movies but he will watch the old ones on TV a million times over :)!! There is so much junk and on TV too. Guess I am getting to be a fuddy duddy :)!! A lot of trash I say and not good for the kids. That's my story and I am sticking to it :)!!!

ROCK - I agree with you on Lucille Ball and that show was so great. It was so simple and really made you laugh . I haven't seen them in some time but I know it used to be on Nickelodeon . I could go on and on about that silly show, to cute for words. All of the characters were great and complemented each other so well.

I heard on FB that JULIE stopped for a bit on the way home to see her " adopted daughter" Susan that she talks about and that Susan really appreciated it. I guess she will be home late tonight sometime . I am guessing also that she will be very tired and worn down after her hard ride by herself both ways. Hope there were no problems I am guessing not.

Hi MIKIE, DIANE and everydobby else too. Hope everyone is having a nice and relaxing day today. It is very HOT today as per usual so we are staying in and not doing anything. That reminds me that I need to switch the clothes that are in the washer to the drier. Just heard from DD #1 that she is going with the boys to Fayetteville for college tours for the twins. Will be interesting to see if they both go to the same school or not. They are both extremely different from each others. More later !!

Love to y'all,
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Mornin', Porchies,

Cats and I slept til 5:00 and it really helps me when I get adequate sleep and they stay quiet out there. Both came in all bright eyed and bushy tailed, especially Sir Vester who really does have a bushy tail. I can manage on six hrs. a night but would love to get more. BP meds interrupt sleep so I have to choose between fatigue and a possible stroke or heart attack. I choose fatigue. I am thankful that, at least, I can nap during the day to catch up.

Dear Old Friend, came for coffee yesterday morning and we sat outside telling jokes and discussing happenings in the world and our hood. We discuss politics and, despite different political labels, we seem to agree on everything. I think a new political party, The Common Sense Party, would attract a huge following. He called me last evening because someone sent him a joke and he wanted to tell me before he forgot. The discussion regarding pets continues via e-mail among some of our board members. Idiot Boy continues with his long rampages. Like so many people, he is ignorant of how things are done and yet, it doesn't stop him from continuing with his insistence that we all adopt his way of thinking. ARGGG!!! :mad:

Speaking of politics, things have certainly gotten more interesting since Donald Trump has entered the race. David Letterman says leaving his show was the worst thing he ever did, considering that the Donald would have given him material for his monologues during the race for the White House. The news carried pics of cats wearing Donald toupees. It was hilarious.

I'm feeling better and plan on going to the pool if it doesn't rain. We have been getting morning showers but it appears from the radar on the news that these scattered showers are not on top of us. I just hope I still have the NRG to do a couple of things around here. I need to call the A/C guy and make an appt. with the dermatologist for a body exam. It's always something.

Rock, I only did what the dental asst. does. I just hope the dentist didn't traumatize the teeth and cause an abscess. One of the drills he used to remove the old fillings felt as though he were using one of those huge drilling machines employed to tunnel out the Boston Big Dig. Loved the dental pick pun. I certainly bit on that gag. Glad you got some rain. Our electricity used to go out every time we had lightning. Mgr. called the utility co. and they replaced a main switch or transformer, or something, and now, it rarely goes out. It went out a while ago but the lightning was truly scary. I usually like thunder and lightning but not huge lightning claps right on top of me. I would hope my poor rating of the new Harper Lee book would not discourage anyone else from reading it. Someone else might like it but, based on the critics and my own experience, I certainly would not recommend it. I rated it on Amazon and gave my opinion on it. Of course, I wasn't impressed by the "Filthy Shades of Gray" books either; however, they were written better than "Watchman." :rolleyes:

Granni, oh, every time you mention Margaritas, I drool. I really need to go find a good Mexican restaurant. There must be one down here somewhere. The one I used to go to had passable drinks but the food has gotten horrible. Guess I could bring home some Taco Bell and drink my Margarita here. Marijuana and Margaritas are almost enough to drive my back home to CO. :) Glad you enjoyed your dinner. I don't go to movies anymore. Seniors get discounts and the matinees are not expensive but food and drink are. I just don't enjoy them, especially with the poor movie manners people seem to have these days. I've seen people at sporting events who look as though they don't have a dime but are wearing team clothing and buying all kinds of food for them and their kids. My ex didn't like sports so we didn't go to games very often. Like most everything in life, sports have lost their attraction for me. There are all kinds of festivals here but I won't go where there are crowds. One exception is art exhibits and concerts, but I usually only go to one art exhibit in the fall.

Julie, so glad you are home. It brought tears to my eyes to read what Lorraine said to you. That part of your heart you left will leave a tender sport for which there is no remedy. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hope the chiro visit goes well. It will be interesting to see what GPA has to say about being at his house. Hope it makes him appreciate you more.

Gotta go read the paper. Hope all y'all have a good day.

Love, Mikie
  17. rockgor

Hi Kids

My cough was waning, but yesterday it started waxing. Wax and wane usually
    pertain to the moon, but for some reason the site dealing with same had a pic of
    the setting sun. I hope the modest size picture doesn't go all crazy when I hit
    Post Reply. It's amazing how some little pics suddenly turn into the Incredible
    Hulk when they start out like Bill Bixby.

Morning, Mikie. I forgot about 50 Shades of Gray. I took that one off the hold
    list too after reading your review of same. Yes, the common sense party sounds
    like a good idea, but we all know the title of things may have no connection to
    the reality. Decades ago Dave Barry said the government should have a sensible
    middle-aged lady who would have to authorize everything. The Pentagon would
    go and say, We need 64 billion to design and build a new airplane, and she would
    say No. The state dept. would ask for 70 million to send to some foreign country
    nobody had ever heard of and she would say, Absolutely Not. Kinda like that.
    Now that would be common sense.

Glad you're back home safe and sound, Julie. Do you have that Skype thing?
    I'm a bit hazy about how it works, but I guess you can send e mails and
    simultaneously see the folks you're communicating with. That's pretty
    amazing that Lorraine is already thinking of you coming back for a visit.
    Hope the chiro gets all the kinks and knots from all that driving smoothed out.

Granni, I agree that modern entertainment is not for me. I am reading a detective
    novel set in Sardinia, an island near Sicily. The time is the 1960s. The main
    character is puzzled by the strange music from bands like The Rolling Stones.
    Me too. Is there really a chance you twin grandsons might go to different
    schools? Don't twins usually want to stick together?

I heard on the weather report yesterday that we would have lots of rain
    today. Just checked the computer report. It says 80 degrees and only
    a 20% chance of rain. Make up your mind, Guys.

Hugs Diane, Springwater, Sun, Barry

18. Granniluvsu

Hi awl,

Just popped in but get to get off. It will be a busy day.

JULIE - Glad you are home safe. I know how you must feel but hang in there sweetie. You are a tough one ( in a nice way).

Gotta run for now. Be back later this afternoon if I can.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  19. Granniluvsu

Good afternoon awl,

I went to Line Dancing for the first time in 3-4 weeks due to holiday and other things. It was fun and then went with DD to Sams where she needed to pick up a few things. Then we ran to Anna's Lines that is closing to see if we wanted to pick up a sale . Didn't get anything right now. Wasn't in the mood and might need the money later on. Got home and quickly ate lunch and then ran back to Sams with DH to look at the TV's they had on special. When we got there DH realized he didn't have the tape measure with him and we have to measure exactly due to the cabinet it will be in. Oh well, he will go back at a later when they still have some of those TVs left. At least I picked up some almond milk and sandwich meat that we needed.

It is pretty hot today in the mid 90's as usual. Hope you all aren't as HOT as we are.

ROCK - These twins are NOT identical and are as different as night and day and have very different interests. It will be interesting to see what they pick. Right now they are or were visiting the U of Arkansas along with other TX Universities before this.. One loves sports an plays Rugby, and Football and had played soccer and baseball before. The other one could care less about sports. Right now he is working on Theatre . They have been busy thinking of majors and have been making so changes already. Right now the brainy one wants Engineering and the other guy is thinking about Business (nice and safe)..

JULIE - I'm sure it will take you awhile to get used to the situation at home. It surely will be very quiet with only Gpa there and maybe Den. Hope you get him all straightened out with his blood work and all. He might not have been eating correctly wither. Somehow I can't think of sis cooking very much, let alone really healthy things. Maybe now you also can help Den some with the house you are trying to build. Do you think you can get some of the outside things done before winter sets in again for you? Just try and rest a bit now and try and get adjusted and get a few things caught up in the house.

Thinking of everyone to numerous to mention, especially SUN, DAR, SPRING WATER ,BARRY, and ELAINE.

Love to everydobby,
  20. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Julie: what the (*&^% would possess Gpa to say that to you? Wonder what sis has been filling his head with?????? I think the thing that hurts the most is when family members say hurtful things to us. I've had some things thrown at me lately and I must say it's hard to get over them. But treasure what Lorraine asked.....if you knew the way back to them. How sweet.

Rock: what a beautiful sunrise, or is that a sunset. I checked out the first Shades of Grey......didn't get too far, just knew it wasn't for me and returned it to the library. If I'm going to take the time to read or listen to a book I want it to edify me.

I went to an arthritis exercise class this morning.........what I want to know is HOW and WHEn did I age so rapidly? And what happened to my sense of rhythm too? I guess it went along with my balance. So disheartening.

Tomorrow we're all to bring back to art class our "jackson pollock" creations so she can critique them. Wait until she sees I've done my own thing and attached rubber waffle pieces to it. I wonder if Jackson would approve?
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015