Porch Light is On/ Closed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rockgor, Nov 8, 2006.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Haha, I forgot the number. And I just looked at it too.
    Maybe we should start w/ "one" at the beginning of every month so as to avoid astronomical numbers.

Ok, Folks, the P.L. is on. Step right up. Sit right down.

Refreshments and entertainment to follow. The topic of the day is whatever you like and the secret word is something you'll find around the house.

If you brought a covered dish you can put it on the table. Covered bottles go in the icebox. If you are recovered, we all want to hear about it.

If you have been discovered, don't worry. We are very discreet here. We won't mention any titilating topics for the first five minutes.

And now, on w/ the show!

[This Message was Edited on 11/09/2006]
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

the topic is nervous breakdown! The inspectors are here for the buyer of our house.

I'm smoking again, so I'll sit way over here, and blow smoke away from the porch. This too shall pass.

Covered dish? Ha! We're lucky to get dinner for ourselves, I'll get a bottle of scotch instead, ok?

Me and my SO have had nervous breakdowns every day selling our house. We are so sad to be leaving a home we love in order to be nearer to my medical care.

Oops! Gotta go, they need me...

findmind

3. rockgor

Carla nl, Always glad to have you "popping in". The term suggests quantum physics which is about as far from keeping it simple as one can get.

You mentioned "ketchup". Many years ago the government declared ketchup a vegtable. Most people thought that was kinda silly but it had legal significance for schools who had to meet federal standards for their hot lunches.

The question for today is: What two famous popular songwriters used "ketchup" in a song, and found a rhyme for it?

Findmind, You are right. A "nervous breakdown" is something one can find around the house, especially if one is buying or selling it.

That term seems to have withered away in recent decades. Sort like "Film at eleven". One seldom hears it anymore. And there has been no substitute.

In giving my own medical history, I usually say something like "And then I crashed and burned".

The songwriters, as I'm sure you all knew, were Cole Porter and Noel Coward. Both gay as so many talented people are. Cole was a lucky man in many ways.

He was born a millionaire, he married a millionaire and he made a million (or more) himself.

I would have be happy w/ just one of those states.

4. Callum

Callum New Member

I'm not a porchie, but I sure do enjoy reading your posts.

So, I saw the light on, and thought I'd wave "hi."

And do my Noel Coward impersonation for Rock.

Callum
  5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Ya "done good"! I was busy with the Election Re-
    count Committee this morning. I just could not have lost
    that badly! Next time I'm gonna have "Guido" help count
    the votes. (He will most likely have to remove those
    13 1/2 size shoes and use his toes)

But I do appreciate all the support I rec. from my friends
    here on the Porch. Even Carla-NL voted for me!! She said.

"Ketchup" wiff ya all a bit later!
    Welcome Callum!!
    JOE aka MRDAD
    [This Message was Edited on 11/08/2006]
  6. born2fish64

born2fish64 New Member

Just a quick "Thanks ya'll" for all the helpful things and encouragement I get from this site daily!!!!
  7. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

Been busy with the boys...thought you'd like some hot dish for your potluck here on the porch.

Was going to bring the jello salad, but I put it in the microvave instead of the fridge...darn, just not a good pot luck without the jello salad, ya know.

Gotta, go...nice popping in on ya here!
  8. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

I just read "if you brought a covered fish put it on the table"

Then I read that MrDad is doing an electron recount. That should take him awhile!

Think I need to go find my other eyes - or my other brain.

Serious bf here today; I read the new Reginald Hill novel yesterday and was sitting here looking at it beside my bed today and realized that I burned my eyes up for nothing as I already can't remember most of it. Geez.

Hope everyone is doing well today, I have to go find the last porchlight and do some ketchup myself. If I 'do' ketchup is that legal?

Off I wander, la la la la la.

Carla-nl, I should be doing the same thing as you since I have been feeling so poo lately and haven't been treating myself well. I feel all dazed and disconnected today (and no, I haven't been into the covered bottles in the fridge)

Bye y'all
  9. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Don't let the painted strawberries on the pie plate fool you! If you're too confused, I brought a big bowl of whipped cream to cover the whole thing up. :)

Today's topic for me is that when I looked out the window, there was a shiny black squirrel digging vigorously in the lawn. Tracking down a worm, I wonder? Calgary is having what we call a chinook, a warm wind that eases up winter for awhile. All our snow is melted today. The moonlight this morning was incredible. The clouds were moving quickly in the sky, brightening and dimming the moon. After looking up at it for a few seconds, it seemed like the moon was moving and the clouds were staying still. The sunrise went pink to apricot.

The garbage collectors just came, which is the highlight of the week. Bandana Man (I invented names for them, like any good wildlife biologist would do!) was wearing a gray touque today and a pair of cool shades. He was smiling. Big Whiteshirt was driving. They had up-tempo music playing and looked like they were having a good time.

My brother Dave finally put his clothes in the hamper to be washed. :) What a relief! The last time he had a shower I scratched his back, praising him for how nice and clean he was... but when he put one of those old work T-shirts on, it smelled so bad that I wouldn't even hug him. I think he may have gotten the message.

((hugs for everyone!)) Shannon
  10. dononagin

dononagin New Member

boy.... I am really struggling today!

I feel like somebody pulled my plug. I'm supposed to be "on top" of things today. I have a big group here with all our corporate giants and I'm running on empty.

How bad is it when you find yourself sitting in the bathroom so you can close your eyes a minute. Every part of me is hurting.. How in the world am I gonna get through this today?

love ya all... sorry to be whining but dang.. this is not good.
  11. Shannonsparkles

Welcome to the porch!!!!!!!! :)

I remember that foggyfroggy was hoping for a "covered fish." I notice your favorite passtime is fishing... hint hint? ;) (Yes, we grown-ups still like to play with immaginary food. lol)

So, in the words of little girl I babysat, "I'll have a steak, medium ribs." I thought it only polite to order "rocks, on the rocks," after that. :)

(( )) Shannon
  12. Shannonsparkles

... it's SNOWING again! lol

Dononagin, hope today goes okay, sending hugs. (( ))
  13. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Have ya caught up wiff Luxuria yet? I know she has had
    a Post up lookin' 4-U. You two would likely make great
    friends!

Huggles (soft hugs, but lots of them) "Oxford Dictionary"
    MRDAD aka JOE aka JOEJOE
  14. rockgor

turned muddy when you turned me down. A character in the Dick Tracey comic strip used to sing that. Evidently something somebody posted triggered that response. Don't know which post tho.

Shannon, I thought of you y-day when I was listening to one of the most remarkable recordings ever made. Frank Patterson and John McCormack singing duets.

The remarkable part is that the McCormack recordings were made 60 to 80 years before the Patterson ones. Clever engineers improved the sound of the old recordings and welded the two together. Amazing, huh?!

Dona, I hope you suddenly find a burst of energy. Carla, if you can understand quantum mechanics you're quicker than I. I read about it and something called string theory, but couldn't fathom either.

Callum, I would love to see your impersonation of Noel Coward. Do you do anybody else? Born2fish, stop by anytime. The porch is like a poorhouse blanket. Always room for one more.

Froggy, hope your eyes improve. It's terrible when your eyes feel like cigarette burns in an old blanket. (Notice the blanket theme running thru today's essay. I may start discussing Navajo artifacts next.)

Wishtobe, yes, can't have an authentic potluck w/o jello salad. Very popular at the church suppers I used to attend half a century ago in the Methodist Church basement.

Real home cookin'. Even the pickles and jams were home made. My Aunt Myrtle's chocolate cake was famous!
  15. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Good evening everyone!

Thanks for the laugh, Rocky. You have a mind like I do. "Nervous breakdown" has been changed to "stressed", didn't ya hear? I actually heard an NPR segment about that.

Wow, lots of new faces on the porch tonight. I don't know why you all keep running off though.

Carla, you're so right to keep your priorities straight but it's not nearly as much fun.

Findmind: Quick, have some Absolut! I hope the inspection came off without a hitch. (Rock, where did that saying come from, do ya know?)

Callum! Welcome to the Porch. I wish I'd been here to see your Noel Coward impersonation. I hope you'll come back soon.

JoeDad: are you OK? Poor man, can't be gone for two seconds and some woman is checking on you..... As for the election, you had to have won. I voted for you three times myself!

Born2fish: Hey, don't run off. Let's tell some fish tales. My dad was a great fisherman and would bring home the most wonderful brown trout fresh from the stream, all ready for a pan of butter. He'd fry them until they were flakey and pop them on our plates. Mom always made us eat bread with our fresh fish in case there was a bone left over undetected the bread would cushion our throats. I still have trouble eating fish without bread. Actually, I have trouble eating fish, period, since I was spoiled by that wonderful, fresh trout.

Wishtobe: You didn't stay long either. Thanks for the hot dish. Now what can we put in it?

Foggy: It is amazing about those covered fishes. I've had many myself (see above). Get some rest, OK?

Shannon; Ooooooooooooh, pie. Thank you so much. Good thing we don't gain weight here on the porch what with all the goodies we have. Sorry that Chinook wind changed to snow! You paint such lovely pictures with your words; do you write professionally?

Dona: I'm so sorry you had a rough day. I hope you got home where you could put your feet up or climb into a nice bubble bath. Let your driving daughter cook.

I hope everyone is content with the election results, especially MrDad. I'm sure a recount will show you victorious.

I stopped at the Animal Shelter today but there was no one there who knew how to open a door. Whew! Close call.

Hugs all around the porch,
    Marta

16. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Findmind: I'm so, so sorry you find it necessary to sell
    your home in order to handle your health problems at a
    more convinent location! I do hope you find it easy to
    adjust and soon enjoy your new location. Keep us posted
    as to how things are going please.

Foggy: Are you "guys" high and dry in the Willamette
    away from River and high water? Daughter in Portland
    said it continues to rain but lighter at the time. I
    think lots of our "Porchie" friends are in the Pac. North
    west environs! Stay dry and I'll see ya for Thanks-
    giving week. "K"?

Dono: Hate that you have all that to do and you are feel-
    ing so hurt-ee! Hope ya feel better soon and get home to
    rest and relax a bit. Glad that we are around to share
    your discomfort with us. Get back as ya can.

Marta: Don't know what I'd do wiffout that Absolute ya
    keep "chilled" 4-ME! It was quite a shock. Not loosing
    the Election, but that the S.F.Hilton had Security People
    at the Exits as well! Made me pay for last nite Election
    Suite I had "rented"! I guess that Granddaughter needs
    the money?

Linda: Yea I love those great T.V. deals! Gonna send in
    for that "Slendertone" belt thing-ee and the new Oreck
    21 Vacuum. Gonna slim down that 32in. waist of mine
    while I'm vacuuming with a Tequila Sunrise in the other
    hand made with my "MAGIC BULLET" ostrichriser! Feathers
    and all. Gotta get one of them "Steve Young" haircuts
    before I put on that "exercise" belt though! My "Old
    Squeeze" can do that easily enuff. Hope your doin' well
    today. Had a housemate on SSDI that was addicted to the
    Home Shopping Network at one time! True Story!!!

Welcome: Our new "Porch Friends"
    Callum, Georgia, Born2, Wish2 so glad ya here and we
    do expect that you will come by as often as possible!!
    Gonna see if in' the Chef (wish I had Gordon ustead)
    is ready wiff my Dinner yet?

Have a delightful eve to all,
    Joe AKA MRDAD aka JOEJOE

17. rockgor

Linda. Our virtual porch is like Lawrence Welk's accordian. It expands when necessary.

"Ya'll come back now, hear" sounds like Gomer Pyle.

Speaking of knives, my brother the forest ranger loves knives. He has a big kitchen knife he paid $90 for a couple decades ago. He does not let anyone else wash or dry his knives.

Gordon does not need any more sharp implements. Last summer a friend moved back to Argentina and left us the contents of his kitchen. We have enuff knives and daggers to start an opera company.

Which reminds me of the time a friend of mine was starring as Carmen in a local opera production. I saw the opera; it was fine.

But when I saw the video tape which was taken from the balcony, I saw that the baritone was actually wounded in the knife fight w/ the tenor.

A member of the chorus was a nurse. She walked off stage, came back a few minutes later and bandaged his hand which he held behind his back while singing lustily all the while.

You know what they say: Zee show, she musta go ahn, Sacre Bleu!

Marta, I used to listen to NPR on the way home from work for years. But I stopped when I got a tape player. Now I listen to tapes I compiled myself.

Donno about "w/o a hitch". Looked in some slang dictionaries, but couldn't find it. Tennessee Ernie Ford used to say things like "He got a hitch in his get-along."
    (His real name wasn't Tennessee; it was Kentucky.)

Maybe the expression has something to do w/ horses and wagon?

Georgia, cornbread is always popular here. I heard you can make it like the Marie Calendar restaurants if you make two batters and combine them. One from a yellow cake mix and one from a cornbread mix.

My test kitchen has not yet tried this recipe.

What sort of a day was it? A day like all days, filled with those events that alter and illuminate our times. And you were there.
  18. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Y'all,

Just have a little time to peak in on you and see if there is any more food left that everyone brought. Of course it probably so late it is all gone.

Wanted to also mention that I sent a little note to Jodie, Rock and Mrdad on the very last thread (Vol 37 or 38 or whatever it was) before it was turned off. Just check it if you haven't already not that it it is anything of GREAT importance ( like there ever is!!??)

Shannon - I almost ate that cherry pie with the strawberries (or cherries)painted on , at least the whipped cream (-: !

Wish to be healthy - Hey, putting the jello salad in the microwave sounds like something I would do.

Lin - Hope you are doing better. Take a rest kiddo !!!You are getting me tired with all your work !

Hi Sweetie - Hope you are doing OK. How was your hearing?

Hi also to Marta, Froggy, Born2fish, Findmind and Dononagin

Gotta run now.

Love and wrm hugs to all,

That granni (Marilyn)

19. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

there are so many people to help you get elected. better luck next year. the people of san francisco don't know what they are missing out on w/o.

i had class to day. yeah. i need to focus on vocab test and the chapter.

then i still need to get that darn paper started. i have so many ideas running through my head.

it's about the exhb w/him being bipolar and borderline personality disorder and the effects it had on our family.

we can not use the word you.

so i was going to start it out like this: you wouldn't believe the hell he put us through. but i remember no "you words!"

no i would not wrote it like that. i was thinking along the lines of a jerry springer interview w/the exhb.

jodie
  20. Seeseaisme

Seeseaisme New Member

I've been here, but it's short and sweet. My brainfog is terrible. I can't spell right, can't remember my address, social security # half the time, almost took wrong medicine last night.

I really don't like this. It scares the devil out of me. I have a lot of issues going on with me, mentally and pysically. I just can't find the right way to express myself.

I know, give me cheese to go with that whine (lol).

Well, that's it for now.

sees