Porch Light is ON, Vol. 19

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by UnicornK, Oct 14, 2006.

1. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

SMG, I did it again!

God Bless.
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

Although I'm going to bed soon. Church tomorrow morning. You know how awful mornings can be!

But it is so comfy here in my papasan!

I actually did something today! I made dinner, baked a cake (still gotta frost it) and did some laundry. And I had time to start vol. 19! SMG should be proud of me....I hope!

Time to get out the bankies. Kinda chilly here. I love this weather!

Can we go on another ride around the lake? The leaves are so pretty, but they won't last much longer. Maybe I'll bring a camera.

Then we can come back to some apple cider (hot), hot chocolate and smores. The perfect end to a perfect day.

One of the reasons I love this porch is that I never feel my pain here. What a magical place! And it's always beautiful, no matter what is going on in the "real" world.

In fact, I could have sworn I saw a unicorn on the other side of the lake! Silver/white with a golden horn. Wishful thinking, or is this place really magic?

Well, I usually can't come here on Sunday. Church wears me out so I take a nap, then back to church. By the time I get home I am wiped out.

But I will be here on Monday. I hope you don't miss me too much!

Luvya'll!

God Bless.
  3. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Unicornk: thank you. Your transition from Vol. 18 >19
    was more than adequate.

Sassy 2: Those homemade Brownies, they are not from a
    Devil's Food Mix I should hope!?

Sister Mary Gregory (S.M.), (F.H.A.)
    P.S.
    Confession today everyone?
  4. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Hey Carla!
    Yea, I gotta get one of those Blood Draws tomorrrow
    morning. I volunteer to gon in on Sundays when they
    aren't so busy. It's great because it is usually quite
    and relaxed. I'm on a 120 day protocol for now.
    It's good peo, know that too much iron blks. Oxy to cells!

Marta: Ya got those World Series Tics yet. Watched some
    of the game as I could! Went down to the wire disn't
    it? Wave to me from the Game, OK? COngrats to Detroit!
    gIANTS will be theor nex year! Bye bye Barry, me hopes!

Bye Girls!
    MRDAD
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Prickles, how did you make posters? How big are they?

In response to your question, smores are sandwiches, very popular on camping trips. Name is probably derived from the question, "Have some more?"

A marshmello and half a chocolate candy bar between graham crackers. Wrapped in foil and heated. Kinda messy and throughly delicious.

Unicorn, have you read James Thurber's Unicorn in the Garden? You certainly got a lot done. Hope you are not exhaustenized.

Sassy, what kind of brownies is your hubby making? Like cake or the tuffer brownie texture? Whichever I could eat 2 or 3 w/ a tall glass of milk.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend, well as good as possible.

Ha det bra
  6. mrdad

mrdad New Member

So glad to hear from you. Everyone of course has been
    very concerned! Ann leaves tomorrow but is so grateful
    to have gotten that info. from you on the storm! Didn't
    want her to go thru one of those Donner Party Tragedy's
    and have someone on that Greyhound look at her and won-
    dering if anybody on the Bus had any BBQ sauce! Wew! It
    was so close!

That happened many time's to me when I lived in the
    Sierra! I can remember looking out the kitchen window
    one morning to see my brand new '81 El Camino buried
    in the 4ft of snow that had fallin' over nite! As I
    sipped on my hot coffee, I was yelling thru the glass
    at my wife that she was gonna have too shovel faster if
    the kids were gonna' get to pre-school on time! Wonder
    what ever happen to end that relationship, hum??
    It happened that way, "Movin' West"! Right Rocky?
    Lin, we are glad you and yours are OK!

"Talk" later. "K"?
    MRDAD
    P.S. Anyone see "Wake" on the Porch today???

[This Message was Edited on 10/14/2006]
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

... to everyone here on the Porch.

I'm so glad to see Linda back with us after that freaky weather! I hope power is restored soon. Do you have a fireplace or gas log, Linda? I can recall sitting with the cats, wrapped in blankets in front of the fireplace for hours - but not days! Bundle up. We're thinking of you.

CK-Carla: you asked a bit ago if I have fence (for a dog, I assume, since I'm personally quite a homebody). No, I do not and I live in a condo so will not ever have one here. A dog must be walked or carefully cleaned up after in the little yard by each condo. I could let one out on a lead for short times, however. Must have little dog.

Unicork, you have a lot of energy today. May it continue for you. Good girl to get to church. I really want to get back in the habit again too.

Prickles, Rocky did tell you about his version of S'mores but the ones I like best use marshmallows roasted on a stick over an open campfire and then put between a Hersey's bar and graham crackers. The very hot crispy marshmallow melts the chocolate and Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. You want S'more.

I've also had those Truman movie times in my life. I hope yours are manageable. I find that they preceed a revelation in my life.

Sassy: I'm so glad that your visit with mom, sister and BIL was a good one. How nice that they're from MI. Did you watch the Tiger game?

Speaking of: Yes, MrDad, it was down to the wire which is not good for us easily-stressed-out types, yew no. But they did win and I'm happy. When is the World Series?? As you can see, I'm not a big sports person usually....

Carla UK: I read with great interest your instructions on what to do if a post is lost but I had a foggy time following it. Not your fault. I need to print it and read it more carefully. And buy a fog horn.

One more quick note: I heard a great broadcast on Speaking of Faith on NPR this morning featuring a scientist, Esther Sternberg, and her book, The Balance Within. Guys, we all have to read it. It's pure and simple CFS/FM only not named as such as it speaks of how they now can actually see how the brain cells are affected by long-term stressors which impact the immune system - and thus, us! I'm sure of it. I ordered it on amazon for $10.88 + tax and shipping = $14 and change. If you care to have me read it and preview it I will let you all know but I'm sure that this book will be very revealing for us.

Not such a quick note, was it? but I'm pumped.

Enjoy your day!
    Marta
  8. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Just a quick wish that you have a great day.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
  9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi all your porchers,

I did it again. I typed a nice post and then it disappeared again but that was my fault. Hope I remember some of what I posted before.

Linda - Glad you all are OK after that terrible storm. Cuddle up close to the fireplace. I hope you have one in your real house ( a fireplace) - brrrrr!!! I know all about the snow coming from NY but you upstate people got it alot worse than we did on the Island.

Sassy -Happy birthday to you. Hope you are having fun celebrating. Have you had your cake yet or just eating brownies and smores - yummy ?? I have to see if I can find any around here. I need some enery!! Plus they taste so GOOD !!!

Mr Dad - Don't do so much flirting with the gals (-: !!! I know that you and they love it too !!!I had to come and check on you today - but I am sure that wouldn't do any good anyway would it (ha, ha) !!Just had to tease you a little about that !

Sorry, I have to run again. Just wanted to check on you all and hope that those not feeling to well will feel much better soon !!

Hope to check in tomorrow if things go "normally" whatever that is.

Bless you all,

That Granni (Marilyn)

10. ckball

ckball New Member

I'm just poppin in to see who's on the porch today. I bet most are in the lodge, it was a nice but cool day here.

I slept in until 11 again. It seems no matter what time I go to bed 10-midnight range I sleep or lay in bed 11 hours before I am able to get up and going.

I ask on vol 18 if anyone knew the shelve life of peanut butter after if it had been opened?

Prickles- I liked your poster, very cool. you have a great life ahead of you girl- just keep it up and take care

Lin- glad you made it threw the blizzard- wow the street is amazing-

Mrdad- how are feeliing after the vampires got ahold of you?

Carlanl- glad to hear you reserched iron OD- I hope you don't have what mrdad and I have. But some people can't tolerate iron. WIsh I could think of something that absorbs it. I don't know if anything does, hence the phelbotomies.

Sassy- hope your having a good day - Happy Birthday and yes I know what a shotgun house is. My grandparents lived in one..

Hopefully I will have a new picture tomorrow. I soldered my project and cut the came but just had to stop my back was hurting my my tummy was hungry.

Unicork- thanks for the new Vol

Rock- did you bake those cookies yet?

I hope everyone had a good day- CK Carla
  11. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Been slo-o-o-o down today wiff scheduled hospital
    "stuff" etc. But I'MMMMMMMM BACK!!!

Sassy2: I really do hope you are having a wonderful
    B'Day!! Thanks so much for bringin' that Turkey Chili
    and Cornbread to the Porch. It's even a Cool day here
    in S.F. Peeps are 'plaining that it only got to 57!
    1/2 ta wear a sweater! So the Chili is especially
    comfortin' on day like this. Hope they all sang Happy
    Birthday to You! on Key!

Prickles: A really great poster! Think that will dif-
    finently gets lots and acres (Hectors) of attention!!!
    Still don't know if I saw much about what you and the
    B.F. did to celebrate your B'Day last weekend! Or is
    it what happens in Bamberg stays in Bamberg?

Marilyn: Ya doin' OK? Don't mind the kidding at all!
    But being that you are in Texas, are we gonna have room
    down there for yet another Presidential Library? I'm
    having a bit of trouble using GWB and library in the
    same thought pattern. Talk about brain fog!! Maybe
    the 1st Lady will be the head Librarian as is her train-
    ing! "Why, it's the Dewey Decimal System George".

Linda: Ya digging out? Will you be able to get to work
    tomorrow? Had my "iron overload" blood draw this A.M.
    and none of my R.N.'s here in S.F. have heard of you.?
    They looked at me like I was crazy to ask! They did know
    Angela though. Strange wouldn't ya say? Glad yose guys
    are alright.

Marta: We have a new Doggie in the building here! Think
    he would be perfect for you. Not very big and would make
    a great lap dog. He's also good about not BARKING after
    3 a.m. when his folks get home from the BAR! Yap-Yap-Yap,
    Yap-Yap-Yap, Yap-Yap! INTERESTED!!??

1Sweetie: Your on slo-mo today. Hope you are feeling
    better than you were feeling! It's the up/down thing
    that can be so fustrating as we can never predict how
    we are going to feel in making plans to do anything it
    seems. And I feel that I am most likely doing better
    than alot of my friends on the Board and admire the
    courage that so many of you display to me everyday.

Gotta take a break Kids! (Hey Rock, I-bee-back-"K"?)
    MRDAD

[This Message was Edited on 10/15/2006]
  12. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Carla,
    Nice of you to inquire about today's blood draw. I do
    it in the Oncology Dept. and have really been able to
    know the Nurses over the last few years! I'm on a 120
    day protocol now which is much better than every week!
    I go on Sunday as it is the "SLOW" day of the week for
    them. I like it bec. it is quite and Staff isn't under
    any stress. Asked them today (wiff a straight face) if
    they knew our R.N. Linda in Buffalo? Acted surprised
    when they said "no"! They probably think I'm nutzoid
    anyway so why give them reason to think otherwise at this
    Point! Hope ya had a good day and didn't have to try an
    save any Puppies.

"Talk" tomorrow, "K"?
    MRDAD
  13. findmind

findmind New Member

for the invite to the porch. I love to read all your posts, but I have webtv and I canNOT (edited!) see all the other posts while I reply!

Happy Birthday Sassy! 58? hugs to you!! I'm older than you...but I'm not tellin'

Well, my news: I'm allergic to mosquitos, so I'll sit behind the screen door of the log cabin (?) y'all are meetin at, ok? Got my warm socks to keep my neuropathy at bay, the blankie to wrap around the rest of me...

We put a for sale sign on the lawn yesterday! We can no longer care for the house, the 3 different yards, the pool, the dog, us, meals, drs visits too far away, and 2 rental properties. I know, sounds like we are well off, right? NO, we live like everyone else and have a nice but modest home and cannot afford outside workers.

Now we will live to have the house ready to show every single day! Get up, make the beds, open the "dark room" blinds and drapes, quik vac doggie hair up. Have to have all the dishes done or hidden in dishwasher, laundry done so that area not all grungy smelly, geez, I'm tired already.

Then we are "on call" from 1pm to dark! So we are anxious, tense, "waiting" mentally and can't seem to DO anything that might make a mess. Going to be really rough, and the bad part is we have NO idea where we'll go...can't even get the energy to go look at condos or townhomes.

I want to RENT and never have to find plumbers, electricians, repair persons ever again!!! Let management do it, right?

Ok, I've monopolized the conversation here, oh...prickles, that poster is really wonderful...what talent!!! I'm green with envy...

Hugs to you all...
    findmind
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2006]
  14. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Linda, I looked at that picture. Why do you live in the middle of a forest? YIKES! as Jack Benny used to say.

Marta, you're right. We usually cooked (and often burned) our marshmellows on a stick. I think some grown-up like Marthla Stewart made us do it w/ aluminum foil. Back in those days we called it tin foil.

Sassy, yes, I know what a shotgun house is. Small, narrow, no hallways. You could fire a shotgun in the front door and the pellets would go out the back door w/o hitting a wall (or hopefully a person).

I posted on it before, but the post vanished like April snow.

Prickles and Anne, since you guys sometimes (can't spell occassionally) use real English, such as put up posters in the "lift", I thought I would explain some terms that often show up in books by British writers.

I am highly qualified to do this as I have read three such books. Also have ancestors from England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. (Well, those Vikings got around.)

A lift is another name for a lorry which is a truck that can be parked in the mews or served w/ beans on toast. Usually accompanied by scones which we call biscuits or trifle which call a cookie.

That latter is a favorite of the Queen of England, whose ancestors came from Germany, who enjoys watching a game of cricket on the hearth.

Yes, Granny, it is so annoying when a post vanishes.
    In answer to peanut butter question, I read on the net that when modern peanut butter was developed (the kind that doesn't separate) in the l920s, the shelf life was increased to one year.

The army has an MRE (Meals Ready to Eat) peanut butter sandwich that it claims is good for 3 years. Do not know if anyone has actually eaten one that old.

Carla, not only did I not bake the cookies, I forgot all about them. Yikes!
  15. mrdad

mrdad New Member

MRDAD
    By Rights Invested in Me by: SISTER MARY GREGORY (S.M.)
    and (A.M.&F.M.)[This Message was Edited on 10/15/2006]