Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, Porchies,

Past time to start a new Porch Volume. Not much to tell since I checked in yesterday afternoon. We are supposed to finally get our new plumbago bushes in our stairwell atria but I'm not holding my breath. Landscaper is better at promising than delivering. We continue to get compliments on our landscaping out front from others in the hood.

I have to shower, do my hair and trim my nails. I'll throw another coat of polish on my tootsies. I want to get just a few things done around here if I can. Glad I took my garbage down yesterday to the dumpster. I hate that job.

Julie, sounds as though you've got a great plan for the kids' visit. Just hope you save some NRG for them and don't spend it all getting ready. That's what I do and am always exhausted by the time my kids actually arrive. I'll bet they are really looking forward to staying with Grandma and Grandpa.

Granni, my kids love Galveston too. They like to go to Mardi Gras there. I've always thought that it could be a great tourist destination if the town would just make some improvements. Of course, its funk is part of what makes it interesting.

I hope all y'all have a great day.

Love, Mikie
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Julie: your clothes will dry at 37? Do you have a dryer inside? I've read that you can help heat a room using the heat from the dryer. My mom never had a dryer....just a wringer washer. Come winter we would hang them outside on a line but if looked like rain she would stretch lines in the hallway from door to door, crisscrossing. OMG.....it was awful when I was expecting a date to pick me up. My mom never understood this? I still cringe at the thought.

Mikie: have fun tonight. You seem to be doing better with your energy since you're out in the pool exercising.

As for me.....I don't think I'll ever see light in the tunnel I'm stuck in. I FINALLY talked to a supervisor for HR....the company my DH was working for. OMG.....was I screwed. Apparently I was put into the wrong cobra so she was switching me over to the correct one....bad news is it expired 18 mos. after my DH died....which meant Jan 22. She sent me a letter stating this but she did say they are giving me until the end of Feb. I'm to take letter to SS for my 3rd appt. on Friday. Talked to the man my taxman's office who handles senior investments and Medicare he said this was good since SS should now give me part B effective March rather than July since this was a change of life event. Talked to a local agent for Medicare Advantage thru United Health last night. This is the plan I want. At times I just want to sit down and cry over all my problems.

Oh yes.....got my taxes done the other day......I guess with all the deductions, etc. I'm poverty level now according to the adjusted gross income. But the good news is I'm getting a refund.

And I still have this cough. Yesterday I was afraid I was getting pleurisy (which I've had before) but dug out my trigger point therapy workbook and found that coughing can cause trigger points to occur. I also wore the Icy Hot Tens unit all day yesterday to help with the pain. Thanks Mikie for telling us about it.
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Greetings to ALL !!

Just wanted to get onto this new volume so I can get it on my phone.

JULIE - You sound so good today and hope it all continues with the wonderful weather. Is anyone available during these wonderful warmer days to work on the new part of the.house YET?? I know it is early and that at this time the weather can change at any time for cold, rainy and or snowy days. That can be a bit depressing for sure. That idea of putting little bird houses together sounds like a great one for Grandpa. Hope your dad is doing well too.

SUN - I think I missed some of your last posts and I am sorry to hear that you are having still more problems with the medical insurance. That is not fun I know, and it is very frustrating. Julie is right that when you feel bad that everything else seems worse too. Hope some of this stuff clears up too sweetie.

DH will need the computer son so I need to start getting outta here .

Love to everydobby,
  4. sunflowergirl

Julie: thanks for commiserating with me.

What a great idea....duck boxes! Most needed and this will give Gpa reason to getup every day. It's so important to feel needed and useful. When my mom could still see to sew, I used to find old quilt tops at estate sales, etc. We would decide together how to put them together and then my mom would work on them.....hand stitching too. I gave 3 cousins each one of her quilts, but still have others stored in the closet. It gave her a reason to get up every morning.....she always had a quilt frame up in the wintertime when I was growing up.
    lydia1 likes this.
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

I am happy to report the B & W cat showed up after an absence of 5 days.
    She had no explanation for her absence. Reminds me of my grandmother
    who would occasionally escape from the duties of raising 5 kids, managing
    a house, etc. and just disappear for a few hours. When she got back and
    was interrogated as to her whereabouts, she would give a lofty wave of the
    hand and say, "The Moon. I've been to the moon."

Serially, where could one go in a village? She was undoubtedly having
    coffee at a friend's house.

Mikie, thanks for opening up. I don't think I've ever seen a plumbago.
    All the pics I found showed a bush with flowers that were some shade of
    blue. Never been to Galveston, but I like the song Glen Campbell sang.
    Written by Jimmy Webb who also wrote Wichita Lineman and By the
    Time I Get to Phoenix. It's almost 1:30 AM here. Hope you and
    the kitties are all sleeping soundly.

Sun, glad to hear that the tens unit was helpful. Hope things don't get
    worse. You'll have to buy an elevens unit. Good luck with all that
    bookkeeping-insurance business. I couldn't cope with it now.
    Around this ranch Gordon does it or nobody does it.

Julie, you can tell people who are wondering if Gpa is in a home,
    "Yes, he is. Ours!" For people who are not too sure what a duck box is
    (like me), I've posted a pic. They take the place of the old trees with
    hollows that the wood duck or some others like the merganser use
    as a nest. That's a wood duck on top. The box is on a pole.

I finished my book on the last months of the Civil War. In the first
    2 weeks of April, 1865 the Southern Capital Richmond fell, Lee
    surrendered, and Lincoln was assassinated. A funeral train carried
    Lincoln home to Springfield, Illinois. The train passed through
    ten cities including New York.

The building pictured below is the Roosevelt mansion Two little boys
    are watching Lincoln's funeral procession. Teddy Roosevelt (7) and
    his brother Elliot (5). Teddy became our 26th President. Elliot was
    the father of Eleanor. (Eleanor and Franklin were some sort of

I am now starting a new book on octopuses. I hope I don't have any
    trouble coming to grips with it.

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, Kids,

Soooo good to see our Porchies here. I woke with a miserable headache. The news showed all the thousands of dead fish washed ashore from the Red Tide. The level of it in the water is off the charts--literally. They will have to add new levels because it's never been this high before. Yikes!!! Cats are restless and nervous. Both were awful after about 4:00 this morning. They didn't get their morning treats. Tweety almost broke something on the bedside table and someone peed on the floor of my shower. I came out into the kitchen and stepped on a piece of poop. That likely was unintended as it sometimes clings to Sir Vester's furry behind.

They are releasing even more polluted, nutrient-rich water from Lake Okeechobee so I don't spect the Red Tide will be gone anytime soon. This water is dark brown and looks like an oil spill on our beaches. They use the front loaders to clear the fish carcasses off the sand at the beaches. Disgusting!!! The federal govt. has made a mess of the dikes at the lake, the river and the Everglades. They need to step up and fix it. The dike is second only to the ones in New Orleans, which failed during Hurricane Katrina, in terms of potential danger to people on the East Coast of FL.

It's only 55 degrees here this morning. I know that could qualify as a heat wave for some of y'all but it's cold for us. The next seven days will only provide temps in the 60's during the day and even down to the 40's at night. I'll likely not be going to the pool for a week or so.

Concert last night was great. It was Mendelssohn's Symphony No. 4. For anyone not familiar with it, you would recognize it if you heard the opening notes. With the exception of the second movement, it was light and made me feel as though I were enjoying a bright summer day. After the intermission, they played some folk dance music and songs from Eastern Europe. Finally, they played a couple of folk songs from Aaron Copeland. A vocalist sang the songs. She was very good. The second half was not my favorite but it was different. Mendelssohn was fantastic. We always get just a bit more than we expect from these concerts.

It's nice to get out and enjoy something unusual but I had to rest all day yesterday just to be up for it. I had planned on trying to get something done but would not have been up to going had I worked around here beforehand. I got out a nice pair of slacks to wear and tried them on. They almost fell off of me and were so long that they need to be taken up and taken in. Oh great, just what I need--another project. I just wore the top I had planned on and teamed it with black leggings and a black jacket. I jazzed it up a bit with big bold gold jewelry. I hope to get some things done here today but don't want to wear myself out because tomorrow is the art fest and we will be walking a lot.

Granni, come back when you can stay a spell.

Julie, oh, thank God the Amish will help you guys get the new construction enclosed. That should be a big relief. I keep culling my possessions and still end up with a bunch of stuff I should get rid of. How wonderful that GPA can work on those duck boxes. It should really help him to pass the time during the cold weather while being so useful. He could make some prayer boxes. We just use bird houses I get at Hobby Lobby. We get some great results from writing down our prayers and putting them in the box. Think I mentioned that in the Bible, it mentions writing down prayers and putting them in a 'God box.' Spring found some other writing where it mentions 'God boxes.' How is Clinton's granddaughter doing with this mess? I can only imagine how stressful this is for Amy and everyone else. Prayer going up. What they are doing may be saving this poor child but I know it's got to be so hard.

Sun, I know how stressful this has been for you but it does sound as though you are making progress. How awful that they screwed up your insurance. Their incompetence has really caused you stress at a time when you were already under a lot of stress. My Mom retired from Ma Bell after 44 years. Their service club, The Pioneers, sewed teddy bears for children in the hospital. There were men and women who got together to work on the bears. They had quite a production line that would be the envy of Henry Ford. When I grew up, most women did needle work and what we called fancy work. Even as kids, we embroidered tea towels and I remember how much fun it was. Quilts are wonderful. How nice of you to give some to the cousins. Good luck with Medicare. BTW, I have UHC Medicare Complete. I have the HMO and not the PPO because I've had no problems with the HMO and there is no premium for it. I'll be getting my prescriptions at no cost through the mail order pharmacy and it will save me somewhere around $720 a year.

Rock, glad the little B&W kitty finally showed up, the little tart! Have you ever considered giving her a name? Is she spayed? If not, I'm surprised she hasn't had a litter or two. It is very kind of you to feed her. I was talking with a neighbor the other day and a huge dirty white colored cat was strolling through the hood. We've never seen it before. I love your Grandmother's saying she'd been to the moon. She sounds like a character. If only we could all go to the moon to get away from our stressful lives now and then. Plumbagos are the most beautiful periwinkle blue and they boom all the time. They need almost no pruning and don't get too large. If you like the Civil War history, you might like the new PBS series, Mercy Street. I've tried to watch it but keep falling asleep. That doesn't reflect on the quality of the show but rather on my own exhaustion.

Think I'll go to the other board and start a game. I tried it here years ago but it didn't take off. It's a punster name game. Got to thinking about it when watching the special on Bernie Madoff. He made off with everyone's money.

I'm gonna post this and come back to proof and edit before I lose it. Hope all y'all have a really great day.

Love, Mikie
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  7. Granniluvsu

JULIE - I completely understand about the ENJOYING THE PEACE AND QUIET!!!!!! ENJOY it while you can. I used to just love the peace and quiet when my kids were all in bed.

MIKIE - Glad that you enjoyed your concert yesterday. Didn't really have time to read everything fully enjoyed what I read. Having company tonight so I need to get with it. Everyone is bring stuff and we will chat about the big trip we were going to take and what we all might do instead. Having 3 graduations in one month and one out of town where we will have to stay overnight 1 x 2 days and our stock money going down, DH said we will not be able to do that. The trip we had planned to Big Bend area and Ft. Davis will have to be postponed, if possible.

SUN, SW, ROCK, DIANE ,SPRING WATER et all, hope all is well with you and everydobby else. Maybe I will get back when I get some stuff done around here and getting dressed, which I am not.

Love to awl,
    Granni :)
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Just taking a break from cleaning. Roomba cleaned the tile floors so I just finished wet scrubbing them with my floor machine. Thank God for my 'helpers.' Roomba is now cleaning my bedroom carpet. I'll finish up with the living room and dining area. I still need to shampoo the carpeting when I'm able. Tomorrow is the art fest and I have an appt. at the lab for blood work on Mon. I hate having one thing right after another but, at least, I'll get things over with. My doc appt. is the next week. I'd really love to get finished with the deep cleaning and organizing by the end of the month if my NRG holds out. I hope today's burst of it is a harbinger of things to come.

The strange people downstairs are cooking and it STINKS! The doors are open and it's coming in strongly. They juice and make smoothies and soup. Think I mentioned that they spend $1,200 a month on food for the two of them. They throw away the best part of the veggies--the fiber. What a waste! They are nice people but I honestly don't know how they can eat that smelly mess. It's all I can do to breathe it. They see themselves as health nuts. Could be but, if that is what it takes to be healthy, I'd rather not have to gag on the smell. AAACCCKKK!!! Wind is gusting up to 30 mph so, maybe, it will blow the stench away.

Julie, I used to get up early, ahead of my ex and kids, just to have my quiet time before the days began. Early mornings are sooooo peaceful. I love watching the sun come up. We've had some beautiful sunrises lately. How cute that Gabby naps with GPA in his chair. She is smart not to run from Oreo; it's only the cat that runs which makes the dog chase it. I think the next 'season' of my life may be the 'next life.' I feel old and tired and like I've seen it all and done it all. It's probably just depression from having been so tired for so long. It's always good to have things to look forward to. GPA is like the cats; if I stir, they think it's time we all got up and had breakfast.

Granni, I hope you can find a trip you enjoy. I have no idea what my IRA funds are doing but it doesn't matter that much. I have a guaranteed look-back of 7 percent return which will double my money long before I have to use it. The original investment wasn't that great, however, so I still have to watch spending. Who doesn't these days? Only the wealthy. I remember when those funds were returning 30 percent before the big crash. I got out before the worst day while the gettin' was good. We old people here in the hood find inexpensive ways to stretch our $$$'s. These $20 concerts are a real bargain. The Dixieland concert is only $15. Funny, they hold them in the big retirement village where one has to be wealthy to live. There are all kinds of free art fests and other entertainment, especially when the Snowbirds are here. I'm lucky that I can shave a lot off my food budget by buying BOGO's and still eat well. I don't eat out much because it's gotten so expensive. In other words, I have a comfortable lifestyle without spending much. For a low-NRG person, it's adequate. It might not be for someone else.

Think I'll go online to see whether I can find a drapery rod for my valance, which has been sidelined since this awful relapse. I haven't been shopping any more than necessary as it eats up the NRG. If anyone has any extra, could you please send it my way? Thanks.

Love, Mikie
  9. sunflowergirl

Julie: Yes, it is rude especially when he has your phone #. I guess something could have happened.....or they just forgot. How old are they? I really hope the Amish guys can get a ton or work done for you. It must be awful living half way, so to speak, but one of these days we'll be seeing pics. of the finished house.

Mikie: Why not ASK the people what they're cooking! As I get older I have less of a "filter" on my mouth so I definitely would. I'm with you....I look for coupons, bargains, and freeby stuff.

Well, over an hr. at the SS office and I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. She spent a lot of time looking at the computer, and announced there was no record of a part B filing on Jan 25. Honestly, I spent a lot of time with that agent on Jan 25 and now find he didn't put it thru. I sat there, wanting to cry today. Still no part B effective until July. So I have to scurry around to find interim health coverage for me and I have no idea where to begin.

I need a break so I'm heading now for an art group to put my mind into a different place.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, My Dear Porchies,

I'm up early and still feeling better. Woo Hoo!!! Good thing because I have a lot of walking to do at the art fest. The weather this morning will be cool but it'll be in the 60's around noon. Think I'll wear jeans, a tee shirt and a hoodie that I can take off when it warms up. I hope I find something in the $25 range which I love, as I have in past years. This is an upscale art fest but, fortunately, many artists do small pieces which provide their bread-and-butter income.

I got so much done around here yesterday. All that is left of the routine cleaning is dusting. I have to go through junk mail to stamp over my name and address before recycling. Then, next week, I can dig into the messes from reorganizing. Yikes! Cats were good last night but Tweety just tried climbing inside a shelf near the top of my computer armoire in the front office and knocked things onto the floor. Red Tide makes her hyper and restless. News just pointed out that the RT seems to be getting worse and may be here for a while. I'm grateful I have felt better with its presence here.

DD#2 e-mailed a website where DGS's teacher posts their artwork. He did a painting of outer space with planets, stars and a meteor. I can order a coffee mug or tee shirt with it printed on whichever I choose. I haven't looked to see what they cost. I have one drawing he did of a tiger in pencil on tan paper, framed and hung on my wall. He has just started lacrosse and seems to be good at that sport too. I hope he remains interested in sports but I hope it's not football. Too many head injuries. I've had several concussions, one severe, which puts me at a higher risk of brain conditions.

BTW, this is American Heart Assn. month and they have been doing info pieces on TV. One specialist mentioned that people with autoimmune illnesses have a greater risk of heart disease. Oh, great! Just what we need. The AHA has new guidelines for exercise to try to mitigate the risks. One hundred and twenty minutes a week of moderate exercise or 75 minutes of aerobic exercise in which one gets into the targeted heart rate (220-one's age x 80%). When it's nice out, and I'm able to get to the pool three times a week, I get 90 minutes of aerobic exercise with my heart rate in the zone. With all this cool weather, however, I think I had better get to the gym. With my family history of heart attacks, I am really serious about decreasing the risk.

Julie, you really have your hands full with your Dad and GPA. Bless your kind heart for all you do for others. Did those thoughtless people ever stop by or call you? I can't believe people do things like that unless there is injury or death involved. Mmmmm! Pizza sounds soooo good. I'd love to have one delivered tomorrow but, on Superbowl Sunday, it's neigh impossible. I'm sorry Amy can't make it. Seems like when we try to make plans, they fall apart on us. I try to be flexible because, otherwise, I'd lose my mind. Well, guess I can't lose what I no longer have.

Sun, did you get the name of the SS rep who was supposed to file your paperwork? If so, it may just be a matter of her posting it to their website. Good grief!!! SS is a mess. It is soooo huge and understaffed. It's the typical bureaucratic misery to have to deal with. I found that out when I filed for SSD. I continue to pray you get it straightened out. You don't need this stress. I don't think mentioning the stench of my neighbors' cooking would do anything except make them angry. They wouldn't stop cooking this smelly crap so it wouldn't provide a remedy for me. I'm sure they don't realize how it stinks up the place. They must be used to it by now. They are otherwise good neighbors so I don't see any point in upsetting them. Good luck with SS and enjoy your art.

Gonna go read the virtual newspaper. Hope all y'all have a great day.

Love, Mikie
  11. bct

bct Active Member

Hi All.
    Mikie, what the heck are your neighbors cooking that smells so bad? You must ask for the recipe and find out for us! :p Inquiring minds want to know...

I'm still recovering from the trip to Eureka last Tuesday. Doc's appt. to arrange for a colonoscopy week after next. I told him why I had put it off for so long -- agonizing pain -- and so he is going to put me completely under. Anaesthesia instead of "sedation". Still a pain in the butt, the drive hurts my back, the trees and landscape moving by so fast I get dizzy. :(

The Acacia trees (mimosa) are in brilliant yellow bloom, and I've seen heathers and camellias in bloom too. Our Manzanitas are starting to flower and they will bring the hummingbirds in. Happens every Feb, and it has been a mild winter for us so far, except for lots of rain and flooded roads.

Mikie, I think we all get depressed from time to time about what has been taken from us by this dreadful illness. I hardly go out at all, and really don't want to. It sounds like you are having a good time going to the concerts and art shows. You do so much cleaning, and work around the "hood"! You are one busy lady, my dear, and we all value your conversations on this board. You must have been a real ball of fire before CFS/ME! ;)

Love to All,

12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Back from the art fest and lunch at Joe's Crab Shack. I brought home two clusters of delicious crab claws. They are huge. I'll eat for two days on them. I finished the spicy sausage and shrimp, plus the corn on the cob and potatoes. I haven't eaten that much in ages. The steamed pot is called the Ragin Cajun. We did walk a lot but I wore my TENS unit and it really helped. I'm pooped so think a nap is in order. I got a beautiful coffee mug in blue, brown and tan glaze. It's a hand-thrown piece of pottery. I am having some decaf in it but I should have tried it out in my grasp. It isn't comfortable to hold but it surely is beautiful to behold. We just escaped the rain so I'm glad we got an early start.

Julie, those homemade cinnamon buns sound wonderful. Don't know why I've been craving things which aren't good for me but are delicious. I hope Heaven is an all-you-can-eat buffet of the most decadent foods. I may have to settle for going to hell but, if there is such a buffet there...well, how bad could it be? I hope your crew showed up. I've heard about the dreaded ragweed. Either I've never encountered it or I'm not allergic to it. Not sure we had it in CO. Yes, the teachers nowadays take advantage of the web to share the kids' work. They also post pix of the kids at school. Good luck on the project. I see you've posted since I started this. I'm so glad the crew showed up and, even though it's a small crew, they are making such good progress. Lunch sounds really good. Glad the weather cooperated too.

Barry, I'm so sorry you have to go through so much to get the colonoscopy but I'm glad the doc will put you under so you aren't in that awful pain. Yes, it is a pain in the butt, metaphorically and literally. Sounds as though things are starting to bloom and add some nice color there. Hope you don't get too much rain with all these storms. Thank you for your kinds words. Yes, we are all in the same boat with these illnesses. None of us can do what we used to. I try to focus on what I still can do and the blessings I have in my life, but it's only normal to feel down now and then. With the new landscaping, my workload outside is down to next to nothing. I'm just tying up a few little things out there. The only reason I'm always cleaning is because I usually don't feel well enough to get anything done. I did a wee bit before I left and all I need to do is dust tomorrow. Too tired to do it today. Think I took all my 10,000 steps at the art fest. There is still the front office to clean up but, once I dig into it, it won't be that bad. Having a sparkling home isn't that important to me but I hate living in a mess. Anyone living with two cats had better not expect to keep a sparkling home. I just cleaned out their indoor litter box and both used it, Sylvester twice. Now, I have to go in and clean it again. I think they wait til I get home so they can share it with me. Yikes!

I feel that nap callin' to me so think I should go. Hope y'all have a great evening.

BTW, we have a fun punster name game going over on the Homebound Forum. Stop by. If y'all don't have any names to contribute, it's OK. It's just fun to read the lists.

Love, Mikie
  13. sunflowergirl

Julie: I hope the guys got a ton of work done on the house today. Mmmmmm....home made rolls. Sounds like heaven. I haven't had something like that in a least 10 years or more. I can almost smell the yeasty smell. My mom used to make nut rolls at Christmas time. Very very thin dough....just enough to hold all the cinnamon/nut mixture from falling out. My grandmother was from the Slavick countries and apparently this is what they always made. I remember trying it on my own years before my mom died, but they just weren't the same. Never tried it again either.

Sorry Clinton is sick and the girls couldn't come out. I think this bug is traveling the country and you did mentioned that Amy was sick with it.

Mikie; Glad you got all your walking in and had a good time. Mmmmmm, crab legs! You can always use the mug to hold pens and pencils. That's what I did with a special mug. That's terrible about the RT. Do experts have an idea of how long it will last?

Barry: Sorry your doc wouldn't go for a CT scan. I pray that nothing shows up.......when will the colonoscopy take place? All those blooming flowers sounds wonderful.

It's up in the 70s here today and I feel like I'm almost alive again.....warmth! Well, I think my insurance troubles are almost a thing of the past.......I hope. Last night I contacted Covered California and signed up for Medi Cal........But today I contacted an independent agent and she was able to put me into a pretty good insurance plan, effective March, overriding the other plan. This will be until Medicare kicks in come July. I can't believe I'll be able to see a doctor.....it's been months and months. When I finally hung up from talking with her I felt like celebrating. This has been a looooonnnnnng stressful time for me, having to do everything on my own.

With it being warm today, I took a short nap and now I'm heading out to the garage to try to do some cleaning out there.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, Kids,

Woo Hoo!!! I slept about four hours yesterday afternoon into evening. I was pure tuckered out. Neighbor called and woke me about 8:30 last evening. She saw a possum at the neighbor's front door when she came home and it scared her to death. I had to 'splain to her that the wild possums live among us and that we do see them now and then. I told her I would check to see if anything needs to be done. I have a neighbor who is a wildlife ranger so I'll ask him just to give her some level of comfort. She is a nice person but has never really been on her own. Her parents were always there for her. She is probably 40-50 yrs. old. Now, her parents are getting on in age and she is having to make her own decisions. I 'splained to her that we have raccoons and possums running around after dark. One morning we even saw a coyote running down the street. When Tweety lived outside, she and Sir Vester played with the otters and possums. Think I've mentioned that one cold evening, my neighbor saw Tweety curled up on the step with a possum, both of them trying to keep warm.

I've signed up for a pond workshop the first Sat. in Apr. Seems our mgmt. co. and our big board know nothing about keeping ponds healthy. We hire a guy to come quarterly to assess and treat the water but I'm not sure he is competent. Barb has complained for ages about the tall grass growing in the pond. No one will address her concerns. I agree with her and fear that, if this goes unchecked, we will have to pay to have the bottom of the pond dredged. I'll find out after the workshop. I'm trying to talk a couple of others in here to go with me. Before she turned so hateful, I would have asked Barb to go with me.

I'm still feeling a bit better so hope that, despite the Red Tide, I'll continue to recover. I want to have DD and DGS down for a visit. I'd also like to visit them. Kitties were sooooo good last night. I woke just before 5:00 and got up to fix their morning treats and my breakfast. I need to visit my neighbor, Grace. She is feeling a bit neglected as I haven't been visiting her as much since I've not felt well. Ilona has also said they wish I'd visit them more. Every time I do visit them, she is nagging Frank over every little thing he does; it's not pleasant. What a contrast to the good time I had with my other friends yesterday. I'm very thankful for those good friends and the other nice people in here.

Sun, I'm so glad you have made progress with your ins. All this stress has had to have taken its toll on you. I'm also glad you are feeling better and that the weather has cooperated. The experts have just started paying more attention to Red Tide. It used to visit and be gone in a few days. Now, with all the nutrient-rich, polluted water being released from Lake Okeechobee, it comes and stays. It hasn't been proven that this causes the over bloom of the algae, but it appears there is a connection. New research into the blue-green algae has shown a connection with it and Alzheimers, ALS and Parkinson's Disease. It is also a neurotoxin. I wouldn't be surprised if the research into Red Tide doesn't produce similar results. I don't want DGS visiting until it is gone. He likes to fish. He already has attention deficit and the RT might just make him more hyper. Maybe with some of your stress under control, you can paint. Have you been working on anything? There were some really interesting paintings at the art fest.

The Sun. paper was here early so think I'll dig into it. Our paper route is one which isn't a permanent one. Whichever delivery person is nearby, and has time, delivers it so it comes early or it comes late. I never know. I hate when it's really late. I'm gonna post and then proof so I don't lose this Warren Peace. Hope all y'all have a good one.

Love, Mikie
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  15. bct

bct Active Member

Hi One & All.
    Mikie I am so glad you are feeling a tad better! May it continue. You still haven't told us what it is that your neighbours are brewing! We may never have that recipe again.....o_O.

Sun, hooray for you! I'm glad your problems have been worked out. The crocuses are really nice this year, and more daffodils are starting to bloom. My neighbour across the creek and down the road grows hundreds of varieties and used to have a daffodil nursery. Maybe she is a narcissist! :rolleyes:

Rock and all you others who are watching the Superbowl, enjoy. I am not a fan of many sports and American football is at the bottom of my list. I like to watch a game of soccer once in a while, but that's about it.

I'm not very talkative today, but it has been a lovely sunny day for a change. Helps dispel the glooms... Just felt I had to post something.

Mikie, your neighbour's fear of 'possums is a bit strange. She must have lead a very non-nature oriented life I guess, but opossumphobia comes natural to some. My aunt was terrrified of moths. My mum was afraid of birds. People are strange, eh what?

Alright, back to the Bowl you guys. I hope there aren't too many brain-damaging concussions.:confused:

Love and Hugs to all,
  16. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

MacArthur Park is right here in Los Angeles. It used to be Westlake
    Park, but the name was changed in during WWII to honor the General.
    So far as I can tell, the General has never seen the place. Here's a pic.
    It's a beautiful spot not far from downtown. I wouldn't go there at
    night though.

"I don't think that I can take it
    'Cause it took so long to bake it
    And I'll never have that recipe again, oh no."

Barry, I had a possum in the backyard back in the 80s. She had
    6 babies clinging to her back. They were each about the size of
    a rat. I gave her a piece of bread, and apple and a carrot. She
    ate some of each, most possums being omnivores like people and bears.

No Bowl watchers here. I took my son to various sports events (the
    Lakers, the Dodgers, etc.), but I wouldn't watch one now unless paid lots
    of money.

Julie, That's great that you got some work done on the house. Glad
    you're having a nice visit with Keira. I wonder if your SIL was a
    politician in a former life. Talks big; does nothing.

Mikie, do you have river otters where you live. Never heard that
    before. When I was a school kid there was a fellow who lived in a
    nearby county who brought 3-4 otters to school a couple times. He'd
    make his entrance from the back of the auditorium and walk down
    the center aisle with the otters scampering along behind him.

I thought they should make a movie of him and his pets.
    Seemed to me they otter be in pictures.

You guys ever see the giant otters o f S America? Six-7 feet long.
    The largest of the weasel family. Like pretty much everything
    else, they are endangered.

Glad you're getting more rest, Mikie. Still no word on when the
    Red Tide will be gone? The Red Tide kinda sounds like the
    villain in a Saturday afternoon serial. I saw your punning
    comments on the other board. You are like the sly assassin with
    a stiletto. Slip it in so dexterously it's almost overlooked.

Sun, I hope your insurance woes will be over next month. That's
    really been an ordeal. Yes, home made rolls sound great. My
    mom made some. I think they were cinnamon rolls. Anyhoo
    they had icing on top. Everything she made was great, but she
    didn't cook everything. Never made bread or pasta or fish
    (except canned tuna). And made 3 kinds of candy. Better fudge
    than Mary Sees or Fanny Farmer.

Hugs Everydobby
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  17. sunflowergirl

Barry: Lucky you, living where you can enjoy all those daffodils! Years ago we drove up to the local mountains, having read about a hillside up there covered with daffodils that had naturalized. We found it but I think we were a week or so too late as most of them had already bloomed. I did my bit around here years ago, planting daffodils and narcissus and one year those gorgeous parrot tulips. The narcissus come back but not the daffodils or tulips though....at least not in so. California. I used to have a large cut flower garden......for me and the neighbors to enjoy. I rarely cut anything but one morning I went out early and surprised my neighbor with scissors, helping herself! She told me flowers are to be cut! She could have asked!!!!! Now I just have tons of succulents all around the house. Just can't garden like I used to.

Julie: Glad to read Amy and Keira got over today. And yea on all the work done on the house. Is it now all enclosed, ready for inside work?

Mikie: I'll bet you're watching the Super Bowl! I just turn it on at half time, but I found it just OK..... And call me crazy but I find it exciting to see a critter come visiting. First time seeing raccoons up close was when we first moved here. We heard some noise and I think our dog was barking.....switched on the light and saw a family up close in a pine tree. After that we stopped putting cat food outside. We have coyotes, possum, fox and a few mountain lions (Cougars) though I've never seen one around here. And years ago one summer the UPS driver was telling me how she was trapped in the back part of her truck because a bear was trying to get in. That was hard for her since it was over 100 outside. Finally someone came and the bear was scared away.

Haven't done much today. I think the warmer weather is making me lazy but I am enjoying it.

And here's something interesting about a newly discovered cave in Vietnam.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, Kids (yawn),

I'm tired. I watched the game and was so excited that I couldn't go to sleep. I watched Stephen Colbert for a while before finally drifting off. What a game! It wasn't pretty but how nice for Peyton Manning to go out on a Superbowl win. Woo Hoo!!! Guess Cam Newton was sulking and walked out on the media Q&A session. He's a cocky kid. Press says he came in as Superman and left as the Incredible Sulk. He's got talent galore; he just needs to grow up a bit. I think this loss may be the best thing that's happened to him. I never expected the Broncos to win the Superbowl but then, I never expected them to beat the Patriots in the playoffs. Wish I had a Bronco tee shirt right now. I met a man from Denver at the art fest and we lamented the dim chance that the Broncos would win. He lives in Cherry Creek where Denver has its big art fest. I dated a man who lived in Cherry Creek about 20 yrs. ago. This man says our art fest is better than the one at Cherry Creek.

I have to go get my blood taken this morning and pee in a cup, if I can. My bladder tends not to cooperate at such times. I'm fasting and have a headache, probably from the Red Tide. We don't know how long it will last but may be in it for the long run if they continue dumping water from the lake into our river.

Barry, I'd hate to ask for the recipe from the neighbors as they might bring me some soup. AACCKK!!! They have given some to the other neighbors. Barb ended up throwing hers out. I think another neighbor did the same. No accounting for taste. Your flowers sound so lovely. I do miss spring blooms down here. Our hibiscus are blooming and I like them. We have two hibiscus trees in front which are double hot pink. Landscapers inartfully did a hard cut on one of them. I hope I can find the NRG to trim the one on my side. I did it before and it is so graceful and is blooming like crazy. Our landscapers are butchers. Yes, I can't figure out this fear of critters who are likely more afraid of us than we are of them. I 'splained to this neighbor that the possums can't see well and that I'd seen them come close to humans but never in an aggressive manner. That seemed to calm her some. I'm glad the weather is nice. It's amazing how much a sunny day drives away the blues. Take care.

Julie, I hope y'all can get that work done but I'm glad you got some help with the roof. How nice that Amy and Keira are there. I remember sewing my patches on my Girl Scout uniform. I loved earning them and sewing them on. It's sad that GPA misses his cat but, with his problems getting around, it would be difficult for him to go back to see it. Still, I would think Sis would take him even if just to see his beloved cat. I'll bet the cat misses him too. Those Valentines sound so creative and I'll bet the kids will love them. I was watching Netflix earlier. Have you watched the first season of Better Call Saul? Don't know whether you ever watched Breaking Bad but this is a spinoff. Same wacky situations and characters.

Rock that park is beautiful. How sad that places are no longer safe, especially at night. I don't know what kind of otters we have here. They come over from the nature preserve park across the street. They travel through the pipes connecting our pond with their lakes. I've never seen pix of those huge ones. Ours are such fun to watch, so playful. No wonder Tweety and Sir Vester enjoyed hanging out with them when they lived outside. Tweety is in time out on the lanai as she was wild and destructive this morning. She was trying to get into the armoire with the TV in the living room. Little scamp. I'm so glad y'all are enjoying the Punster Name Game. There are a lot of good ones posted. Has the little black and white kitty shown up lately?

Sun, yes, I did watch the game but found the half-time show very lacking. I don't think anyone will ever top Katy Perry's amazing show. I am a big fan of Beyoncé and was glad to see her perform. OMG! Those dances! They almost make me ache to watch. We do have bears down here but I haven't seen any in our hood. They are on the news now and then as they try to find food in people's garbage. We have raccoons and they get into the dumpsters and haul the food out. They used to take it under a car with a cover. When they guy moved his car, there was a boneyard of chicken bones. They climbed a tree next door and were hanging off of it when one of the neighbors came out on her balcony. Scared her half to death. Julie was putting cans of cat food out for Tweety and Sir Vester and it attracted them. Thanks for posting the link. I'll check it out.

I'm gonna post this and come back to proof. Hope everydobby has a good day.

Love, Mikie
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Home again, home again, jiggity jig! What a morning...I got to the lab, which is about 3 1/2 miles away, and realized I didn't have my scrip. My doc doesn't use a computer so I had to come home to get it and take it in. Had he used a computer, it would have been in the lab's files. So, I came home, got it and drove back. I'm just so sleep deprived that doing anything which requires my mind is out of the question.

I couldn't pee on command so had to go out after having my blood drawn and drink coffee. When I could go, I had a horrible time hitting the cup and made a mess in the bathroom. I had to clean it up before I left. AACCKK!!! I know, I know...too much information. By the time I got home, I had a headache from hell. I ate and it's better.

BTW, did anyone see that 'puppy/monkey/baby' ad during the Superbowl? It was sooooo gross! I don't even know what product is was except it has caffeine, Mountain Dew and some kind of juice in it. Again, gross! Gross ad and gross product. Vanna White is on Kelly & Michael as I type this. She says she is a good friend of Wayne Gretzky's wife, Janet Jones. She used to date one of the Van Patten boys and I met her when we were in Co. Cal years ago. She is very nice. She was in American Anthem but didn't do too much else in show biz.

Julie, I hope GPA can find a bath time which is better for you. Caring for older parents is like having a young child in the house. It wasn't until after I lost my Mom that I realized just how exhausting it had been and she didn't have the problems GPA has. Of course, I'd do anything to have her back and I miss her every day. I hope Den can see the doc. Thyroid is a hormone which can affect the heart. It's awful that we don't have national health care instead of this messed-up, patchwork coverage with high deductibles. At least, the ACA is a step in the right direction but it needs to be severely altered. I'm afraid if it is replaced by something else, it will be even worse. It is time for me to get all my routine visits out of the way and, like Den, I just don't want to do it. I will but I'll whine about it. Hope you can get some rest.

OK, gonna go and take something for the headache and Red Tide. I'm sure the allergy to it is dragging my NRG down.

Love, Mikie
  20. Granniluvsu

Greetings to awl !!

Have been busy today and when I got back this afternoon DH told me that we were having problems like before with our computer. Now I see that the icons for Int Explorer has disappeared too. Don't have to much time to check on it now but I had to come check on my dear PORCHIES. So sorry that I have been so bad about popping in lately.We will probably have to make a trip to see our son very soon. I have to go fix dinner before I go to chorale practice. It s freezing out there with heavy winds. Not really like JULIE's weather but to cold for me. They have a wind alert out for us all over the area. It has gusts that can be pretty heavy.

MIKIE and JULIE - Yes, I know how it is when you have to take care of an older person, besides your own children and that is how I ended up with this crud, I would say. To much stress. So sorry about the RT bothering you so much, MIKIE.. Hope you both can catch up on your much needed sleep. I don't blame any of you for putting these medical things off. So much of it is stressful along with all the many bills. I am really worried about that in the future. Trying to stem off some of it with alt therapies and herbs but they aren't cheap either even with good deals. My SS surely isn't going that far these days, but thankful that I do have it..

Heard from DD today. She just got $400 from BCBS concerning the accident. Don't know why that happened so fast . Usually things go along at a snails pace especially if they want payment. SUN - Hope things are coming a long a little better with all your medical insurance problems.

Gotta go check to see if I can find the missing e-mails. At least I have a smart phone in these cases.