Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

I'll be right back to post. Please check Porch No. 910 to catch up on everydobby's posts. Today--a little something different. We'll have something cold to drink, chat and go for a dip in the pool.

OK, I'm ba-ack. Strange thing--I looked at the x-rays from yesterday and could see no stones. The ones taken in May clearly showed them. I may have to have them repeated. I know five stones didn't just up and disappear. I'm soooo over this whole thing! Whine, whine, whine!!! Got the sutures on my arm, where the mass was removed, taken out yesterday. She put another compression dressing on it and I'm to leave it alone for three days. I'm thinking this is to help flatten out the incision. It's itchy. AACCKK!! Oh well, this is the least of my problems.

I talked to Jeff on Sun. Tweety is keeping him up yowling at 2:00 in the morning. He sprayed her with the water bottle and now, he's smelling pee. My guess is that she's paying him back. He lets her out and she plays outside in his yard and then comes back to be let in to his lanai. He's so allergic to her that he can now barely go out on the lanai to brush her and feed her. I hope he can find a home for her but I'm afraid she's just too ornery for anyone to want to deal with. He suggested I bring Sir Vester over for a play date. I don't think that's a good idea but didn't say much about it. Neither of these cats is treated for fleas and I don't want to have to take him to the vet. I'm also afraid that, if he sees her, he will miss her when we come home. I think it's just better as it is. He did run through the condo one morning crying out for someone to chase him like they did when she was here. I played with him and he was fine.

Rock, roses are red, violets are blue; you're a fine poet and punster too. I didn't read that story about the cricket. There was an entire episode on the Big Bang Theory written around a cricket. I'm just glad you survived being attacked by a vicious beetle. I found a silver fish in the bathroom sink so will have to put out more poison. They will eat fabrics too. I always check my closed shoes for them and spiders before putting them on. Creepy! Didn't know you were part Italian. I'd like to send my DNA in to one of those services which gives you a chart with all your ethnic lines. I'm supposed to be Irish and German but so many people end up with bits of odd ancestry. Hope you find your pic. I love those old family pics.

Sun, I need to clean out closets and drawers again. Right now, however, it's all I can do to keep up with basic tidying up. I had a small mass removed from my upper arm two weeks ago. It's a cyst which grew back after being removed about twelve years ago. It was deep so there were dissolving sutures inside and ones which had to be removed on the skin's surface. I hope you can get back to painting. I need to get my stuff out and finish my old canvases. It is like therapy and relaxes me. Wow! Your Mom lived to a nice ripe old age. My Mom lived to 92 and was also sharp to the end. I'm certainly not sharp but hope it's due to extreme fatigue. Don't overdo the yard work.

Granni, sounds as though you're all ready to go on the trip. I hope you have a good time, stay safe and don't catch DD's crud. Let us know when you're back.

Spring, so glad you had some 'me' time. I think it's really important for us. I'm also glad things seem to be getting back to normal there. You all have been through such a horrible time. I admire you for all you've been through and how you've coped. Don't think I could wash a dog. Back when we had dogs, we took them to be groomed. Back then, I don't think it was too expensive. Probably costs an arm and a leg now. Everything else does. Yes, that is young to have a huge belly. At any age, a huge belly is very dangerous. That is Joe's problem and now, he has a fatty liver. He's lucky it caused symptoms before it gets worse. He'd never diet just to lose weight. I hope he will to keep from getting very sick. Take care, my friend.

Love, Mikie
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    springwater likes this.
  2. bct

bct Active Member

Hi Y'all.
    Mikie, thank you, but no thank you, I do NOT want to go into the swimming pool.! Lions are not very good swimmers, and I can't stand chlorine if it is in the water. And when it is sunny, I am in the shade. I will take a nice cold glass of chardonnay if you have any, and sit in the shade and talk to other shade lovers though!

I've depleted my energy for this a.m. R went to town and I stayed home as usual. Sorry, but the italics won't go away! Most annoying. Anyway, back to ME; I spent a while watering the container plants, mostly ornamentals and herbs. Also, picked some Japanese eggplants and a lovely yellow pattypan squash. Now have enough to put on a thin-crust pizza.

Slinky is better and doesn't need to have her lungs drained again, thank Dog. Shorty is being taken to the far away vet clinic about 70 miles away. He is still having seizures once in a while, but none as bad as the first one. I think the vet will want to do a brain scan for tumours. It may be a form of epilepsy though; some breeds are prone to it. So we are very concerned and anxious about him. Romeo (Ted's dog) is doing great though. Ted has ADD, so we take care of Romeo frequently.

Rock, yes I know Goleta. Do you know Isla Vista? How long did you live in Goleta? I was in I.V.
    for quite a while '65-'70/71. Moved to San Fran for two yrs while R got his Masters and I was going to the Calif. Institute of Asian Studies. Took classes in Kundalini yoga, I Ching, and other esoteric things. We had four dogs, but a good place to live, but got tired of the big city and moved 200 miles north to coastal Humboldt county. Redwood country. A country life is a hard life; it took us several years to get power installed, telephone land line, etc. Permits hard to get so we ignored them. I haven't seen our house keys for over thirty years -- we never lock doors anymore.... A country life is a quiet life..... thank Dog!

Richard is on way home, I must get back to business and lunch.

Our stunning hardy Hibiscus is in bloom now. It has HUGE pink flowers, maroon in the center, and red/bronze leaves. The flowers are much larger than any of the ones I've seen in So Cal. It is apparently a native of eastern U.S., likes wet soil, and dies back completely in winter. Not a shrub. Can't remember its name offhand.

Love to All,
    Have a Ball,

Barry -- less blue!
    Starlight74 and rockgor like this.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Thanks for opening, Mikie. Great pic. The two best pools I ever saw were at
    San Simeon. One was in and one was out. Lottsa pics on the net.

Mama Mia, I don't know how to break this to you guys, but I am not
    Italian. My ancestors came from Norway, Germany and Ireland. Most
    of Minnesota's pioneers were from these three countries.

But, my aunt married an Italian and her son put together a book about
    that branch of the family. The surname was Paolini. Four syllables.
    Rhymes with: Hey! A weenie.

My grandparents had 5 girls (Yikes!) and one boy. The youngest girl went
    to Chicago after graduating from High School. Somehow she met a young
    man. Not sure if he was born here or immigrated from Italy.

Chicago must have seemed like a foreign country. In Minnesota she never saw
    anything taller than a silo or a windmill. In Chicago they had skyscrapers.
    And elevators. And city buses. And mailmen. And taxis. And pay
    telephones. And parking meters. And over 3 million people. And
    a handsome and energetic young man with a dark complexion and
    lots of energy and romantic appeal.

So different from the big, slow farm boys back home, many of whom talked
    with a Norskie or Germanic accent. Of course she was swept off her bucolic

Anyhoo she is my Aunt Isabel (Izzy) the only surviving member of 6
    siblings. After living for most of her life in Illinois and Florida she moved
    back to her home town in Minnesota and at the age of 95 is still living there.

But I would love to be Italian if I could be a great opera singer. Almost
    all the best operas are Italian. And many of the best singers.

Good luck with your two pressing med problems, Mikie. I hope both are
    quickly resolved. BTW, I saw something in the bathroom the other day
    that looked like a silver fish only it was black. And it did a magic
    trick. It disappeared. It was on the white bath mat when I turned on
    the light. It immediately dashed for cover. When it moved onto the
    gray tile floor it disappeared! David Copperfield couldn't have done
    it better.

Springwater, do you hang your clothes out to dry in your yard? Do
    you have to climb steps? When I was a kid we had a clothes line in
    the backyard. When I was a teen we had two babies in the family.
    I remember hanging out lots of diapers. (No disposables in those
    days.) Here at Gordon's house there was an old clothes line in
    the backyard, but it looked sorta like an umbrella. Hadn't been
    used for years, so Gordon and I tore it down. (Pic below.)

Gave the metal to a scrap dealer. We know a fellow who drives a
    pickup truck around and picks up metal and other odds and ends.
    He hauls it away for no fee and sells it. In the summer we always
    give him tomatoes, cilantro, etc. When we gave him the clothesline,
    I told him it was a good thing he had been hanging around. I don't
    think he got the joke. Well, English is not his first language.

Sun, I don't know where Reston is. Can't look it up. Already got two
    windows open. Gordon and I were there because his employer was
    having a weekend seminar for employees. Air fare and hotel room
    paid for. Well, it was a government job not too far from Washington DC.

Thanks for the Alzheimer URL. I'll have to ask Gordon if he has
    Rosemary in his garden. I know he has some herbs like sage and
    lavender and cilantro. (Are they all herbs?)

Star, that's kinda funny that you want your body to act its age.
    Your meaning is the exact opposite of what the saying usually means.
    BTW, what is a "Yummy mud cake, with a dash of candle wax."?

Oh, better go. Been here so long I will have trouble getting up.
    Hugs, Kids

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    Mikie likes this.
  4. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! Mikie, thanks for the new porch...we are gonna be at 1000 before we know it!

Just a note to say that Clinton got along great today. It took a couple more hours than usual because they couldn't go in the left side like they normally would...when he injured his shoulder a couple of years ago and had to have surgery, that big vein somehow got blocked (where the surgeon would have put the electrodes.

So, they had to start over and do it on the right side. He has three wires going from his pacemaker/defibrillator...one on each side and one coming from the back. But the surgeons were very pleased and his heart rhythm was already looking better on the monitor.

I am exhausted...stayed up to take care of some issues involving my "side job" (executor) and had to get up at 3:45 am. Still got to the hospital before Amy, Clinton and one of Clinton's daughters.

Hoping I can mow tomorrow, then head out to Tennessee early Thursday morning. Hope everyone is doing ok. I'll try to chat more before I leave.
  5. springwater

springwater Active Member

Mikie - is there a possibility that the stones got dissolved and passed out of the kidneys? If only they were gone. Really truly gone.

Here, and in India there are cases of kidney stones disappearing but those are patients taking healing. Poor Jeff and poor Tweety. I hope it resolves...Tweety behaving better.

Rock - that clothes hanger thing, there's no spaces to put it here...we don't hv a covered space outside or on the terrace..my clothes I squeeze them into a little dry space on the terrace or keep them in our bathroom..when it's raining.

I think it would make sense to have a little covered roof thing when building house here, because the monsoons come every year, and the winters are cold..and it's not nice to hv rooms full of wet clothes.

Julie - good luck for Clintons recovery. Your family could do with less drama for a while, now.

Barry - so good to hear the news about Slinky..and prayers for Shorty Boy.

I had to throw away a packet of mushrooms which I didn't see which DH had bought in hopes of me making dumplings..wasn't happening. Too much work. Made curry. He kept it on the dining room table and it was a soggy mess...ugh.

I did make some fresh okra curry, but I'm always wondering if the okra are not genetically modified and grown..with the help of unhealthy chemicals..it is a winter vegetable,or used to be and I don't want to feed or eat poisonous stuff. Mikie - do you think I could use the pendulum for such a thing? I try not to use the pendulum for frivolous purposes. But this seems like something worth using it for.

Last time I went into a bookstore and couldn't find anything I wanted but felt a little awkward to walk out without buying anything because I've gone into that bookstore so many times, browsing..so I found a bundle of Archie comics, the thin long ones, it was for only $ 2.00. So I bought that for my son. He is into Batman and superhero comics..and told me he attended a Comic Con convention in town...on Saturday last..I was quite taken aback..had no idea such a thing existed in our city..I've seen those absolutely monster comic cons in LA on TV. I wish they had one for old girls comics of my youth...those black and white ones...

My mum was such a fan of Crandel the Steel handed guy comics. This was 60s. And my brothers loved war comics, I loved the western ones and Casper, little Lulu, Dot..Audrey"..phantom, tarzan oh my goodness, I loved those.all of those!! Perhaps because there wasn't as much entertainment as now..only cinema and picnics.

I remember a rich uncle giving us a big Hard Cover Marvel comic, from which I was introduced to Peter Parker. Spider man and Captain America...and others green lantern and what not..little did I know 45 years later these superheroes would not only still exist but be flourishing in the form of big budget movies.

Those movies are so popular here...now we hv very decent cinema halls, very clean huge, with sound systems all around, the hall.., a/c.and food stalls selling overpriced coffee, and popcorn..those snacks..most people try to sneak in snacks because the tickets are so expensive...so they hv guards to frisk people and they don't even let a small sweet in..those idiots.

Well, take care all Diane, Granni, Star..all

God bless
    bct likes this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, Porchies,

Nothing going on except continued back pain. So, I guess the stones are with me still. I'll just hang tight until I see the nurse practitioner on Fri. DD called and I think they are going to try to come down over the Labor Day weekend. This will give me time to get things a bit more organized in the condo and try to resolve the stone issue. It would be great if I could finish going through my closets and drawers and get the boxes outta here. I've put painting on the back burner because, with this back pain, I can't get down to sand the baseboards. Oh well, it'll keep.

Barry, I can't take the hot sun either and that's why I go to the pool early. Most of my friends can't tolerate it anymore either. I'm glad the fur kids are doing better. My friend, Nancy, has a little dog that has seizures. They have gotten better over time. The tumor on DD's dog's leg has shrunk so we're hoping it isn't cancer. He's also acting like he feels great. It's so hard when our beloved pets are sick. If you look at the top line of where you are posting, you will see the B for bold and I for italics. You likely inadvertently ran the cursor over the I and it made your type italic. The I will be highlighted with a box around it when italics is turned on. All you have to do is click on it to toggle it back to regular type. You can highlight the italicized type and click on it to return it to normal. Easy peasy!

Rock, one of the historic mansions in Denver has an indoor pool and tennis court. I went to a party there and it was amazing. Everything had the original tile and plaster molding. I'm so drawn to those homes that I wonder whether I lived in one in a past life. That's interesting about your Aunt Izzy. What a romantic story. A lot of people from the northern Midwest come to FL in the wintertime. Many are big, strong looking people. They always bought a lot of root veggies at Publix--rutabagas, beets, etc. They also bought a lot of sausages and smoked fish. There must be something healthy in that food. These people look as though they could still do a full day's hard work. Did your clothesline fold? We have scavengers who drive their trucks through the hood and take anything with metal in it which is sitting outside the dumpster. Hope the black silver fish-like insect doesn't decide to attack you like that vicious beetle. I've had those black insects in here too and they seem to be able to slither into the tiniest cracks to hide. They are creepy!!!

Julie, sooooo glad Clinton did so well despite the big hard-wire job. I'm glad his heart rhythm has improved. The issues in your family are getting ticked off the list one by one. Your second job will be over soon too. Then, I hope you and Den can just enjoy your family and each other. It's been a long haul. I know you're busy but come back when you can.

Granni, don't know whether you'll have a chance to read posts but I thought of you this morning. There is a little waterside shopping center, tourist attraction which is having line dancing lessons today for $3. It's about 25 miles up the coast on a bay in the Gulf. There is a restaurant we like to eat at which is built out over the water. Somewhere I have a pic of DGS posing with a statue of a pirate out front. Hope you are enjoying the trip and your family.

Spring, yes, it would have been nice to have a covered terrace so you could hang clothes out there. I hang my tee shirts on the backs of some chairs and stools instead of drying them in the dryer. I can put them in to fluff them up once they are dry. The condo often looks like a laundry in here. I figure the humidity is good inside when the A/C dries it up so badly. I have prayed for healing and invoked the violet light and white light. I have also drunk a lot of lemon water. I suppose it's possible the stones have dissolved but unlikely. If they had, the pain would be gone. I'm going to bounce on the big ball again today to try to shake the big one down the tube. Jeff has passed eight stones and he takes something now to keep them from forming. If we can capture the stone, we can find out its composition so we can try to keep more from forming.

I think a pendulum can be used for most anything except frivolous questions and, even then, I don't think it would hurt as long as one is respectful. I always pray and ask for answers which are for the highest good of all concerned. I also pray for protection when I use it. I continue to ask the same questions and it has been very reliable and consistent. There have only been a couple of occasions when it didn't want to answer anything. I loved comic books when I was a kid. Little Lulu was a favorite. Later, I pretty much only got the Archie comic books. Last time I went to a move, a small bottle of water was $6. Yikes!!! Stay well, dear one.

Gonna post this and come back to edit. Earlier, the blue screen came on and there was a Microsoft error code. This one was for real and the computer had to restart itself. I would have lost everything had this happened in the middle of posting. This old laptop is acting up but I'm gonna keep it going as long as I can.

I'm out of food so have to go to the market today. Don't know what to get as nothing sounds good and yet, I get hungry and need to eat. I had yogurt for breakfast. Sir Vester loves it so I give him a little bit to lick off my spoon when I'm about done. He tolerates dairy and I figure yogurt is probably good for his gut too. I was in the hallway earlier and, out off the corner of my eye, I saw a quick flash of black and white fly by. He wants to zip around but has no one to chase him. He doesn't like to play with balls but he will chase a string for just a bit. I think that's when he missed Tweety.

Hope all y'all have a great day.

Love, Mikie
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  7. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi everybody!

I've missed posting with y'all.

Same ol', same ol' story .... Kevin and I are both ill again.

Mine started because of the air conditioner. I felt COLD all the time, so I'd bundle up on the couch with blankies, kitties too if they wanted to visit me there. So I felt nice and warm. Problem was -- I wasn't drinking enough to keep hydrated. I was just soooo cold all the time. So I adjusted our thermostat, and thought that would do it.

Then I went to see my therapist, a couple Saturdays ago. Every time I go there, I seem to pick something up (lots of children running around, touching everything). I feel the same way after a doctor's appt.

Three days after the therapist appointment, I was down for the count. Kevin got sick too. He had a doc appt (regular appt, every 3 months), and his doc said fever, flu?, sinus infection. So Kevin is on antibiotics, since last Friday. He's doing better, but still tired, achy, fevered, etc.

So I'm dealing with trying to keep my dehydration under control. So far, so good. I'm feeling a tad bit better. And trying to fight this "virus" thingy. I cannot concentrate at all. I've read your posts, but don't have the energy and/or concentration to reply.

So, I will just say HELLO to all my friends. Know that you all are in my thoughts and prayers. I'll be back, soon as I feel better. Hopefully sooner, rather than later.

Love and hugs,
    Diane, the couch potato :)
    bct, gb66 and rockgor like this.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Diane,

I'm so sorry you are both sick. I also dread being around kids who are handling everything. When I saw the gyno, I had to wait in a little area near the exam rooms. It had all kinds of toys and I could just imagine that I was sitting in the middle of a Petri dish. Fortunately, I don't seem to catch things as easily in my old age. I guess there is one benefit to these 'golden years.' I think cats and dogs help us heal when we are sick. In our family, when we are sick, we say, "I'm feeling so bad that all I want to do is lie down, covered with fur-bearing animals." I hope your kitties are helping you both to feel better.

I just peed through the strainer and there were a few tiny white things like grains of sand. They are hard and I'm wondering whether they came off the stone. I saved the largest piece to take with me to my appt. on Fri. I hope I see some more. It would be great if the stone is breaking up. Just call me the Pee Sleuth.

Again, I hope and pray you both feel better and came come back for a nice visit.

Love, Mikie
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I got up at 4:00 cause I just didn't want to lie in bed any longer. Not much to tell. Still no sign of passing the stone.

Evidently, the Lifetime Channel is having the Kitten Summer Games. It appeared from the teaser that there are obstacle courses for the kittens. This I gotta see. Perhaps Sir Vester would enjoy it too. He needs exercise but doesn't want to chase balls or strings. He's gaining weight. I also need to get out and exercise. I may have to bite the bullet and go over to the pool to work out again, even if it's not at full speed ahead.

Jeff brought back the kitty carrier yesterday so I guess he doesn't have anyone to take Tweety. He had the look of a person sleep deprived. I don't know who would keep her because she demands to get up at 2:00 in the morning and will just keep yowling and destroying things until she gets her way. It isn't her fault. She's just a headstrong cat. If she could be let out at night, it might work out but the neighbors could complain.

Well, dear Porchies, I'm gonna go see whether I can read our paper online. The paper switched presses and it wasn't available on Tues. online. I'm getting disgusted with all the problems with this paper. Newspapers are holding on by the skin of their teeth. One would think they would improve service. Instead, it's in the toilet.

Hope all y'all have a good day.

Love, Mikie
  10. rockgor

Hi Gang

My cousin Rod, mentioned in my prior post, sent me a photo taken in the
    1890's. It shows my grandmother, her mother, and 5 little kids. Grandma
    was about 6 at the time. Somehow, in responding to my cousin's e mail and
    trying to save the photo in a folder I lost it. Vanished into the ether.

Aside: "Ether" has also vanished. It was once thought to be the matter that
    existed between the planets and conducted the sun's light to us. Now we
    don't believe in it anymore. You may say, "What do I care? I never believed
    in it in the first place. Mainly 'cause I never heard of it." You would be right,
    of course.

Aside to the aside: Ether and chloroform are not used in surgery anymore
    ether. (I mean "either". ) And both were available during the Civil War but
    seldom available. (Don't know why they weren't available. Have to see
    what I can find out about that.)

Back to the vanished picture. My brother sent me a copy. I'd post it
    here, but it takes up way too much room. You can probably imagine
    a really old picture and get pretty much the same effect.

Tried to read a massive book (600 plus pages) yesterday on Grant
    and Lee. Too large and too heavy to hold with my weak left hand.I did read
    the last chapter or so. Lee and Grant had a meeting (their 4th) when Grant
    was President. Several pics I'd never seen before although many of them
    are a group of tiny figures and we are told Grant is 4th from the left, etc.

BTW I read Jack Warner's bio (the Warner brother who managed the studio).
    He always stood at the far left when a group pic was taken. He said it was
    'cause the subjects are usually identified beginning at that end.

Mike, were Rob and Laura Petrie present when you were sitting in the
    middle of that Petri dish? BTW, the Petri dish was named after Boom
    Boom (Sally) Petri of Bayonne, New Jersey. On accounta she was such
    a dish.

I hope you and Diane and Kevin are all feeling better pronto. I had an
    e mail from my brother who is recovering from surgery. As is generally
    the case he didn't say much about his situation. Generally sends jokes
    or news about the Forestry Dept. at the U of MN. I don't know what
    my alma mater is doing, and I don't care. It has become completely
    foreign to the school I remember. Once kids from working class families
    could go there. Now just the tuition and fees are over $40,000 a year.
    Here's a nice illustration of inflation fur ya. A Methodist Bishop
    left money to start the college in his will. The amount was $25,000.
    That was a hundred and 60 years ago.

Bis spater

bct and Mikie like this.
  11. Starlight74

Starlight74 Well-Known Member

I'm typing this on my phone while I lay on a camping cot.
    I have three mattresses on it, in total,but comfort eludes me.
    Perhaps that is all part and parcel of the charm and adventure of what actual camping is...

I can hear the roar of the ocean and the waves crashing wildly.
    While that lulls me to a state of peace, the flapping of a nearby tarp reminds of the agitation caused by nails on a blackboard or the scratching up of polystyrene...
    The joys of 'the great outdoors'!!

Truthfully, I'm glad to have escaped prison for a while. (Home).
    Home can feel claustrophobic sometimes, especially after a season of feeling wiped out, so I'm grateful for the change of scenery.
    And beautiful scenery it is too.

Today we were very fortunate (not so with all the dud shots I got!) a gorgeous whale and her baby frolicked in the bay. They came close enough for us to see all the lumps and bumps on it.( Looked like a humpback, but could be wrong).
    Plenty of seals to be seen too and birds hovering above and then rocketing full pelt into the water, emerging shortly thereafter with a fish. Amazing divers.
    Yes, today we got front row tickets to life in all its glory.
    Was like witnessing a David Attenborough program, up close and personal and we didn't have to pay big bucks to do it.

Last night was apparently the best time for fishing,according to 'bite time' and the fishing booklet that goes by tides and the moon etc.
    yeah, so there's definately a method to the madness and judging by the success of last night compared to tonight... Big difference.

DH hooked a massive skate at around 10pm and then about an hour later our eldest boy hooked one too.
    Not as big as his dad's, which is good. ( DH needs to hang onto his title for a bit longer yet).
    A skate looks very much like a sting ray.
    Our other Treasures caught a lot of undersized fish, which were thrown back, but also a lot of bait fish, which is handy.

The tribe is now talking about moving here. Shock horror.
    Too cold for me and the drizzle reminds me of what Scotland would be like. Or Ireland.
    But then it is Winter.
    Everything aches. All the way to my eyelashes.

I tried a muscle relaxant last night, with a sleeper, dispite my reservations-
    And as you can tell, I lived to tell the tale.
    The previous night I felt like I could empathise with 'princess and the pea' fairy tale.
    Every little lump and bump I could feel! The top of the sleeping bag left its nasty finger prints all over my shoulders and upper back. Was Not a 'happy camper' as the saying goes.

The 4 hour drive getting here, nearly wiped me out as it was, but then staying out on the warf last night was a very different kettle of fish-a dif kind of torture. Rugged up to the teeth with 'layer oppa layer, oppa layer' (ever see that add on TV?)
    Good thing I'm one of those Mums who goes into over kill and brought a ton of jackets and rugs.

Looks like we could miss soccer this Sat 'cause DH is considering staying a little longer, just to make the most of it while we're already here.

I've been busy reading all the posts, but been too depleted of life's essence, to contribute.

Dianne-Sorry to hear that you and Kevin are crook again.

Mikie- what can I say? It's such an awful thing to go through and now due to health, your paint job has to wait. I know Exactly how that feels. I struggle with that type of thing all the time. Planning and following through is always one of those things.
    I have so many things I want to do and many jobs that require completing. My 'to do ' lists became a huge burden, esp on the days where nothing got ticked off!
    Health must come first.

Rock- yummy (delicious) mud cake (rich, chocolate cake) ,with a touch of wax (from birthday candles)...

Barry- I think we do have dingoes. They are scarce.
    Oh well, more to come by the looks of of it.

Spring- it's only been the last few years where Ive used a dryer, but due to my arms and hands gettin weak, it's a real blessing.

Julie- it's really good of you to be so solid and be there for your family. You're a good egg Julie.

Granni- Enjoy your time away and you family too.

Sun- Does the pool incur a lot of fees. I'd love to have a pool or at least a deep, hot spa.

I'm nodding off now and my arm has spat the dummy again.
    So I'll say good night from Portland.

Catch yas
    bct, rockgor and Mikie like this.
  12. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Good morning, dear friends! I am so sorry to read of all the sickness, pain, fatigue, fur-baby troubles. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Can't even remember if I posted that Clinton got along great with his pacemaker/defibrillator, but is in quite a bit of pain from the incision site...to be expected, I guess.

I was so worn out yesterday (just from driving to the hospital and sitting most of the day on Tuesday) but got the whole yard mowed. Went to bed fairly early last night, but sleep would not come. So I slept in a bit this morning, then got up to pack...extra groceries for the kids...and to clean up the kitchen and make sure Den has food for the next couple of days.

Heading out in about half hour (around 10:00 am) to Tennessee. Lorraine and I will be back Saturday evening. I wanted to leave here by 6:00 or so, but just had to get a few hours of sleep before the 10 hour drive.

Thinking of all of you...Granni, too...she's on a trip, also?

13. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Hey......that's my swimming pool! I wish!!!!!

Julie: I'm sure that once Clinton's pain from the incision leaves, he'll feel great. Drive carefully. I have to applaud you......driving all that distance to pick up your DGD for a couple of days then driving her back. You might change your mind on the twins though. My opinion is they will get weepy for their parents since they're still young.

As to my fur baby......she's not eating and drinking only a tiny bit of water. I was able to pick her up yesterday to weigh her. She's lost 10 lbs. from her heaviest 25 lbs. a few years ago. I've felt for at least 3 months that she has liver cancer because of what her poop looks like. It was a shock to see her after being gone 11 days. I feel very sad......of the two she was my favorite. I keep wondering if I should take her to a vet but I'm sure nothing can be done for her. I know she's not in pain though otherwise I would have to put her to sleep........she purrs a lot so is happy. I did decide this morning to keep her out of my bedroom since she hides under the bed. I don't want her to die on me under the bed.....how would I get her out? Darn, again I have to say it's soooooo darn hard to live alone.

Mikie: if there are tiny bits of crystal in the sieve, then it's breaking up.

Star: You said it correctly when you mentioned "the Princess and the pea" Unless you live with unrelenting paid people can't understand. Pain for me never, ever goes below a 5 and it sure is hard to keep up a good face. Wait a minute....you're camping in the winter by the ocean??????
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    Starlight74 likes this.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Glad to see y'all have visited. I think I'm down for the count the rest of the day. I took my garbage down to the dumpster, got my mail, unloaded and loaded the dishwasher and cleaned up the kitchen. I decided to hang that little organizer on the kitchen wall. I'm in one of those times when everything I touch turns to crap. Good thing I'm going to be patching the wall. The hardware included with it is the wrong kind. I don't like the height of it so will move it again. Whine, whine, whine!!! I decided to scrounge around here for food and will go to the store tomorrow after I see the nurse practitioner. I hope she has some kind of trick up her sleeve for this stone.

Rock, sorry you lost the photo. Glad you got it back. Come to think of it, all the people in those old B&W photos look alike. Their eyes have a strange quality to them. It's amazing how well those photos have survived without fading. Don't think I'd make it through a 600 page book. It's hard enough for me to wade through nonfiction books as it is. Yes, Laura was a dish. I loved that show; everyone I knew loved it too. Not that many of the old comedy shows pass the test of time but that one and Lucy have. BTW, Amazon offers movies from TCM on On Demand with a free app. I plan to check it out. Right now, I'm watching the third season of House of Cards on Netflix. I have to go back to watch the third season before I can watch the fourth because I can't remember what happened. Good grief! Glad I got my educatin' while it was relatively cheap. Can't imagine paying $40 K a year.

Star, I envy your being at one with nature at the beach. Wow! Sighting a whale with her young. How wonderful. Did the kids like it? Sorry it was soooo uncomfortable. Right now, I feel like the princess and the pee. Fishing is the same here. You gotta watch the tides. We see dolphins here but that's about it. Well, that and manatees. I am in such a mood to do things around the condo but, when I start, I feel all hot and sweaty and short tempered and all I do is make mistakes and hurt myself. I'm gonna go to hell for all the swearing I do. Hope this camping trip is fun and doesn't cause too much pain and exhaustion.

Julie, those mowers the landscapers use that you ride standing up go really, really fast. If you had one, maybe you could mow faster. They are like riding a reallllly fast segue. They zip around on them way too fast in the hood. I almost got hit by one once. I'm keeping you in my prayers for a safe trip.

Sun, I'm so sorry about your dear kitty. I once read that purring can happen anytime there is strong emotion, including pain. I hope she's not suffering. We had a cat who died of liver cancer and the vet was upset that we didn't bring him in earlier but he didn't act sick. The vet could feel his enlarged liver. Sending up a prayer for her, and for you.

Think I will mosey into the bedroom and watch TV. It helps to get off my feet and stretch out. I have a lot to do tomorrow so the rest will be good. I hope all y'all have a good day.

Love, Mikie
    Starlight74 and bct like this.
  15. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi y'all,

Just found you all on my phone. Tried reading everything but not wearing my glasses now. Very hard to read. It is getting late and almost time for bed for beddy bye. All is well here. Had a nice time but it will b good to get home. Leaving tomorrow late a.m. and will.be home late afternoon most likely. Hugz to everydobby !!!

A big hi to all. To hard to write much on the phone.

More later.

Love, Granni
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, Dear Porchies,

Been awake since 2:00 this morning in pain. I don't want to take the Vicodin and can't anyway since I have to drive to my appt. this morning. I have to bring in my herbs which are out on the balcony before the weekend. Barb's DD and DSIL are supposed to visit for a couple of days, probably at the beginning of the week. While both are civil and speak, I don't trust my plants out there with them here. I'll have to put them out on my lanai again when Barb and whatever relative/friend come down at the end of the month. I guess DD and DSIL are going on a cruise without her. I can only imagine how badly they need time away from her.

My DD is bringing DGS down over the Labor Day weekend. Only direct flight they could get lands in Tampa so they will drive down from there. I think there are also direct flights from Lauderdale. I'd like to visit them for Thanksgiving so I need to check it out. Otherwise, there is a three-hour layover in Atlanta. They will be here when Barb is here but I think she'll put on her best fake smile and be decent to them. My DD is always gracious so I'm not worried. I'll be so glad to see my family again.

Granni, I agree--it's always soooo good to come home. I'm glad you are having a good time and I hope and pray you have a safe trip home. Let us know when you arrive safe and sound.

Gonna move on to the newspaper. I want to get into the shower early so I have time to drink plenty of water before I leave for my appt. so I can pee on demand. Ugh! I just hate this. I'll be glad when it's over. Hope everydobby has a great day.

Love, Mikie
    springwater likes this.
  17. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Mikie, Good luck with your appt. Sorry for your pain
    . We are on our way home now. Hard to write in bouncing car. Should bee home early afternoon or late a.m.

Hugz to awl,
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  18. rockgor

Hi Kids

Mikie, what is scheduled for this morning? Is it an exam or something more
    serial? Hope all goes well in any case. Gordon showed me "On Demand"
    the other day. I'll have to get him to go through it slowly so I can write down
    all the instructions.

Is your grandson the one who has the magic trick on Youtube? Is he
    the only grandson? I've been amazed by his trick numerous times. Got
    the number of visits recorded up to 119, but the last three visits have not
    been recorded. Maybe Youtube has banned me or declared me a
    nonperson or something. You can tell DGS his trick has me thoroughly

BTW, Youtube has a wonderful video of Dick and Mary dancing. All their
    dances on one video. On one show they were joined by another gal. I
    think her name is Sylvia Lewis. She danced with Ray Bolger on his TV
    show (also on Youtube) and was in various films and shows. Became a
    choreographer. At one time she lived in Thousand Oaks, so we were
    sorta neighbors although I actually haven't lived there for over 40 years.

Sunflower, sorry to hear about your ailing cat. I'm glad to hear she's
    not in pain. It's hard to say goodbye.

Julie, I hope you have a wonderful trip to Tennessee. Be nice to see
    family again. Can't remember how long it's been since I was in MN.
    Over 20 years I guess.

Star, how amazing to see a whale. I used to live on the shore of the Pacific.
    The biggest animal I ever saw was a seal. It was sleeping on a buoy. Used
    to see lots of crabs, starfish, anemones, gulls, pelicans, and jellyfish though.
    Once my son and I caught a snake in the adjacent park. And, another time,
    we found a rattlesnake in a different park.

Even with something like 18 million people in the greater Los Angeles
    area we still have some wildlife around. There was a possum in our
    backyard last week. And over the years we've had skunks, raccoons,
    coyotes, hawks, etc. Bears, deer and cougars show up at the line where
    the city and the wilderness meet. Almost every year there's at least
    one video on the news of a bear raiding a garbage can or swimming in
    someone's pool.

I hope you've been able to get comfortable and catch some shut eye.
    Your mud cake sounds delicious. I suppose a little wax wouldn't matter.
    When you were a kid did you have those little wax bottles of sweet
    syrup? We did. Fake cigarettes too. And Bazooka bubble gum with
    the tiny cartoon. I think they still make the gum folks can chew,
    but the company has eschewed the old wrapper.

Barry, I only lived in the Isle Vista/Goleta area for a month or so. But when I
    lived in Ventura I often visited the area. The company I worked for also
    had an office in Santa Barbara, so I occasionally went up to help out or
    to attend some sort of city festival or event at the University.

And Gordon and I used to go to Santa Barbara every spring for the orchid
    show and to visit the nurseries there. I think there were four orchid
    nurseries. I still have a T shirt from one of them.

Glad to hear Slinky is better. How is Shorty doing? And how are you
    and Richard?

Hugs, Everydobby

Starlight74 and Mikie like this.
  19. S-Elaine

S-Elaine Member

Hi everyone!!

I've been gone from the PORCH for such a long time I had so much difficulty signing in. Had to reset my password, email it to me & I'm still getting used to my new computer.

It's wonderful to see all of you still here. Glad to see so many names and glad to hear everyone is doing well ...... well enough I hope!

I'm doing so-so.

I say that because while my fibromyalgia & chronic fatigue are much, much more improved, I'm having a lot of trouble with my back though. It's disabling to me. It's been that way for the last 3 years & I never make too much improvement in the area.

Last month I had a TRIAL of a Spinal Cord Stimulator & I was disappointed it didn't work for me at all so I'm not having it permanently implanted. The Neuro Surgeon I met turned me down for surgery saying ...... he doesn't feel the 3 herniated discs in my Thoracic spine are bad enough to require surgery!

What??? With 3 herniated discs & 2 bulging discs aren't bad enough for surgery?? Huh, what do I have to wait until I have 5 herniated discs??

I don't know. Another let down, but I am going to press on find another surgeon to see what they have to say.

In the mean time, I saw my pain mgmt doctor yesterday & we are going to continue with the procedure where they destroy the nerve endings in my back. In 2 weeks I will have that done. They do a small area at one time so I will have to go and have it done several times before I can see any improvement.

That is the very basic of how I'm doing. I need to HOP off the PORCH and finish getting ready to leave the house. I'm taking my mom to the eye doctor this afternoon.

I will stop back in tomorrow and chat more!!

Hugs to all,
    springwater and Mikie like this.
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Home again, home again, jiggity jig!

I am scheduled for a surgical procedure on Mon. Turns out the radiologist made the same mistake every time he read my films. He must be an idiot! The stone isn't 5mm, it's 13mm! Good grief! The procedure will be under anesthesia. The doc will go up the urethra, into the bladder, up the ureter and into the kidney with a stent which stays in until the stone fragments have passed. There are a couple of options for how they plan to break up the stone. It's fairly safe but very risky if it isn't removed. I'm on ABX to try to prevent an infection. My good friend, Nurse Nancy, will be with me. I just sent e-mails to the kids so they stay informed. Thank you all so very much for your kind good wishes and prayers.

Granni, hope the trip home goes smoothly. When you can, post about your visit.

Rock, glad Gordon showed you how to get On Demand. My remote is voice activated so all I have to do is press the mic and say, "Show me free movies." It isn't as great as it sounds. I could only find one or two movies I'd sit still to watch. You can also search for TV shows. Not every show on every channel is on On Demand. BTW, you can't screw it up (famous last words). If you press on something, you can go back or exit. Play around with it. Just be careful not to click on 'Watch' for any show which is a Pay Per View. Yes, this is my favorite grandchild (my only grandchild). He now does a lot more tricks, one involving a goldfish. Note: No fish are ever harmed in his magic acts. Thought I had better put in a disclaimer like the ones in the movies to satisfy the animal rights groups. DD keeps saying she needs to make another video of him. I'll keep you posted, pun intended.

Elaine, I'm so glad to see you here. I am sorry, though, to read about your back pain and problems. It's a shame that stimulator didn't work. I'm hoping and praying the procedure for the nerve endings will produce great results. I look forward to seeing you back again.

I'm exhausted and having problems typing. It's taken the entire day to get this coordinated and be informed by the hospital of everything I have to do and remember. Pain has increased and now feels just like it did when my sciatica was bad. Still, it's not so bad I can't stand it or even need the Vicodin for it. Thanks again, everydobby. Hope all y'all are well.

Love, Mikie
    Starlight74 likes this.