Porch number 1082 is now CLOSED, 15 August 2018

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dmcduck, Aug 15, 2018.

1. dmcduck

dmcduck Well-Known Member

GazeboOnPond.jpg

Come join me in the gazebo. You may see some koi if they aren't to coy!
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

Ooo. Oooo Ooooo! I love the gazebo and garden and pond. Nice change from porches.

Duck: Can't you complain to your supervisor about what happened to all your work, down the drain?

Rock & Barry: I've been out in my garden this morning, doing clipping, etc. First day without that awful heat so I'm taking advantage of it. I'm posting a fun video for all the girls here to watch on how to apply makeup without overdoing it. This one came up over to the side while watching a youtube on succulents, but I think this was more fun and relaxing. Sorry guys.....you will find this boring. After 3 hrs. Outside and then my shower, I need a nap.

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

We are getting a nice gentle rain but there is still thunder involved. SV wanted to go out. I think he finds the rain soothing. Just checked my e-mails and about had a heart attack. The new bookkeeper was asking about paying an $1,800 bill. It's not for our bldg. How difficult would it be to check the address? Oh well, she's new and probably overwhelmed. I'm just glad I caught it. Hoping it will clear some of the RT out of the air. This hasn't been a good day. I'm waaay off my feedbag so decided to have a cup of licorice spice tea. It's so calming that I actually felt high the first time I had it.

Duckie, thanks for getting us up and running again. I love the pic. The first time I saw Fantasia, I loved the beautiful gazebo like this one. I was only a small child but felt very connected to it like I had been to Heaven once and saw one there. Hard to splain. Beautiful places are healing.

Sun, you mean I shouldn't be trying for this slutty look? One thing I find hideous is the smoky eye look when it's way overdone, especially for a blue-eyed blonde. My eyelashes have gotten so fine that I have to glob on the mascara just to look normal. I always wondered why old ladies stopped wearing eye makeup. Now I know. Glad it's cooler there for you. We will be cooking in our sauna here til Halloween.

OK, gonna go drink my tea before it gets cold.

Love, Mikie
  4. sunflowergirl

Mikie: No....the slutty look is out unless you walk the streets advertising! I mostly gave up with mascara since my hand shakes as does my head. Nothing like getting mascara all over where it shouldn't be. Gads, but it's the pits getting old.

I've got some licorice tea but I've been afraid to take it. I've also got a bottle of schizandra....same thing, afraid to take it, but I've noticed various energy supplements that include this. I took one the other day and found I had waaaaay too much energy and hard to sleep at night so perhaps it does work, but just need to get the right dose. This supplement has 580 mg. In it.

My family was supposed to come over today to swim but my DGD has had stomach ache since friday. They were debating about taking her to the doc today. So today was cancelled until she's better.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    dmcduck, Mikie and rockgor like this.
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hello Dolly as well as the rest of the cast.

Thanks for the super picture, Duckie. It is beautiful. Both serene and dramatic.
    Reminds me of the Jefferson Memorial. When a college roommate and I visited
    it in the early 60s I had not even know there was such a thing. Like several of our monuments in Washington DC it is relatively recent. Was completed during WWII.
    The Lincoln Memorial was finished in 1922. Lincoln's only son to grow to adult-
    hood was present: Robert Todd Lincoln. And, of course, we have the FDR monument
    and the Vietnam wall.

Gordon and I went to an orchid and koi festival some decades back. The koi were
    big. About 3 feet long. Some were for sale. Prices around $300 @.

Sun, remember the episode where Lucy was playing Cupid? Ricky told the pros-
    pective bridegroom that women have a whole other face that they keep hidden
    under makeup.

Several net sites say that women spend $15,000 on make up in their lifetime. Well,
    that's not much if you live to be 125. Every now and then I see an article wherein
    some famous beauty announces the make up at the drug store is just as good as
    the pricey stuff.

Mikie, you must have had Rickie on your mind too inasmuch as you used, "Splain".
    I 'spect you enjoyed your tea. I don't drink tea. Especially if it has licorice in it.

I watched two TV programs this morning. CSI is having a marathon. It's on all
    day until 4 AM. I slept almost all day.

My Oregon brother sent me some cartoons. I'd post them here, but they are just
    too big. They all feature modern kids confronted with a book instead of a monitor.
    One kids asks his mother, "How do you turn it on?" And another asks for the password.

Hugs to Everydobby
    Rock

upload_2018-8-15_18-28-17.jpeg
    bct, springwater and Mikie like this.
  6. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Quick check-in before Miley and I turn in. We are sleeping in the guest room so we don't wake Grandpa Den. She likes to sleep late in the mornings, so I'll just hang around inside the house until she wakes up, then we'll figure out what we want to do tomorrow. She says she's staying two nights, so I'll take her home, at least part way, after my chiro appt. on Friday morning. There's a nice park in that town, so I suggested we take a picnic lunch and eat there before we head on. Amy said Keira was looking forward to seeing her dad and his family, so I'm glad Amy and Clinton can get some time to themselves.

Skimmed the posts, but will try to catch up later on. I'm ready for sleep...hope this little gal can get settled soon.

Oh, my dad was doing so much better today...still quite alert (noticed and commented that I had brought assorted colors of flowers this week, instead of just one plain color...I will try to remember that he has a preference.) Good to see him talkative, but not agitated.
    Starlight74, bct, springwater and 3 others like this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Thursday Morning, Kids,

I hope y'all slept well last night. I did OK and think the licorice tea may help me sleep. I've been having a lot of pain in my legs and shoulders. No rhyme nor reason but I blame everything on the RT these days. SV continues with his wild ways. Yesterday he played with his round track ball game as though he were possessed, smacking it left with his right paw and switching paws and smacking it right with his left paw. He is ambidextrous. He hid behind the love seat and, when I came by, he ran out and tapped me with his paw as though we were playing tag. I picked him up and nuzzled him which only made him act wilder. He also goes at his scratching pads like a cat possessed.

Sun, Shazam!!! I've never heard of that supplement but like the way it sounds, kinda Gomer Pyle like. I like things which give me NRG without its being nervous NRG. I once saw the doc for a bad cold. He prescribed something for me which I took right away. I went home and cleaned the house; it had uppers in it. I have to be careful or I poke myself in the eye with the mascara wand. Then, it's the devil to wash off. I hope your DGD is feeling better.

Rock, wasn't the WWII memorial just finished in the last couple of years? We need monuments to peace. I always liked it when Ricky was 'splaining' something to Luci. Remember when Luci was trying to smuggle that wheel of cheese into the country under a maternity top? Desi said, "I'm not the father of that 'chiz.'" That cracked up my kids. We call it chiz now. Wonder whether they sell Chiz Whiz in a can. I remember Danny Thomas who did all kinds of ethnic humor, complete with accents. That wouldn't fly today. It's not PC. My ex used to watch CSI Miami. He wanted to know if Miami really looks like that, almost too beautiful to be true. It does but the show enhanced the colors. I always liked CSI but it got kinda weird toward the end.

Julie, hope you, Den and Miley have a good time. Come back when you have time.

Hope everydooby has a great day.

Love, Mikie
    bct and dmcduck like this.
  8. rockgor

Hi Kids

Mikie, I forgot about the new WWII memorial that is a fountain. Nowadays for-
    getting is what I do best. Shazam! That's what newspaper boy Billy Batson said.
    He then turned into Captain Marvel, a clone of Superman. They were so
    alike that the publisher of Superman comics sued and Captain Marvel flew away
    never to return.

That SV sure has lots of energy. How old is he now? Nearing ten? As for Lucy
    and Ricky, I watched them for decades. Stopped a few years ago. Lots of great
    old radio and TV shows. Sometimes you can find them on Youtube or other sites.

I see Miami was in the news again. "The bear who apparently wanted to go shopping."

Julie, hope you and Miley have nice picnic. I used to take my son on picnics when
    he was three. We'd walk two blocks to the park. I let him decide what to take.
    Sometimes we'd just get popcorn and a drink at the refreshment stand. Watch the
    boys playing beeseball as he pronounced it.

Rock
    dmcduck and Mikie like this.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Just stopping in. My hair passed the expiration date yesterday, well actually Tuesday, truth be told. After I got up, I felt horrible with a headache and sour stomach, symptoms of RT. I didn't realize stomach upset was a symptom of RT until I saw a doc on TV mentioning it. I took Excedrin and sprayed my nose and got into the shower. Then, I trimmed my hair just a bit. It always takes two swipes at it before I'm satisfied. Wish I had someone just to cut the bottom at the back. I
    t feels sooo good to be all clean. BTW, a doc on TV mentioned that one in 63 people who get full blown flu dies. That seems hard to believe. I made me think of our Diane. I miss her and often wonder how Kevin and the kitties are doing.

The Queen of Soul has passed away. I knew it was coming but it's still sad and another big star from my yute is gone. Didn't realize how attractive she was when she was young. She was in The Blues Brothers, one of my all-time favorite movies. She sang Freedom which was amazing. I asked God to thank her for us.

Rock, I'm pretty good at forgetting myself. I didn't read comics with heroes when I was a kid. I read Archie comics. I like some of the hero movies. SV is six or seven; I'd have to get his papers out to check. He sleeps most of the time like most cats but, every now and then, he gets a wild hair and streaks around here like a frisky kitten. Now and then, I'll see a black blur go by in my peripheral vision. He likes to see just how close he can come. I think he gets a charge out of startling me. DD's chow used to do that and I wonder whether she visits us and whispers into SV's ear. I didn't see the Miami bear but we get them all the time down here. The cubs are soooo cute. When our kids were small, we would take picnic breakfasts to the park on Saturdays. Kids loved it.

Saw on the news that a man killed his two young daughters and pregnant wife in the Denver area. Like so many killers, he acted like he was a victim of a wife and kids who disappeared--no emotion. Reminded me of Scott Peterson. How in the world can we spot these sociopaths before they do these things? There must have been signs along the way. Had I known what my ex would be like, I would never have married him but I was young and it's what we did back then. I don't regret it, though, because I have my girls, Andy and my beloved SILs. As I mentioned earlier, life usually has a way of working out.

BTW, remember the Long Island Lolita? Mary Jo Buttafucco, the woman she shot, was on TV this morning. She's still an attractive woman. She is divorced from her lothario husband. I still wonder whether he was in on the shooting. I really need a life but I don't have the NRG for one. Whine, whine, whine!!!

Hope y'alls have a good one.

Love, Mikie
  10. springwater

springwater Well-Known Member

Hello

Couldn’t believe how hot it was today! I had forgotten how blindingly bright the summer sun could be. Went out on errands. So felt all of it.

It rained in the evening though. Big gusts of wind which scuttered the fallen leaves and swayed trees bewildering the dogs. They’re not used to forceful winds coming out of nowhere. I had to laugh at them looking up at the sky.

Dmc - that gazebo looks like it came out of Alice in Wonderland. I gather koi is a type of fish? Pardon my ignorance. But I like it when I learn a new thing however small.

Sun - I loved the tutorial. There wasn’t much difference in before and after. She was so beautiful in the before anyways. Flawless skin, plump lips, no lines. The after...very classy look. Barely there make up.

Rock - I didn’t know Abe Lincoln had a son. Actually, didn’t know much about him. Except he rose out of a poor childhood and is America’s most famous president after George Washington. Beeseball, haha. So cute. Did you ever imagine how lucrative Superhero comics would turn out to be?

The Fantastic four - silver surfer keeps coming on tv and I’ve watched it a couple of times. The intro scene of silver surfer was so cool. When he glided out of the wall towards the camera. I found him like Mr Darcy of comic books. A man of few words, darkly handsome and gets the job done.

Julie - nice to know your DF was doing well. What what does Miley do when she stays over? Good Amy and Clinton got some ‘only them’time. Heaven knows all couples need those from time to time.

Mikie - I checked our stores. We don’t have instapot yet. The meals you cook in there seem to turn out delicious. Today we had yesterday’s leftovers. So I got myself some outside food. Potato. A sweet fried bread, a fried snack called samosa. Flour with spiced potato filling. Not healthy at all but nice once in a long while.

Barry - I liked your colourful post. Be well soon.

Star - hey there! I suppose it’s cold where you are? I hope the relatives aren’t stirring up trouble.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Starlight74, bct and Mikie like this.
  11. dmcduck

dmcduck Well-Known Member

Good afternoon!

Happy birthday to my DH!

It finally rained!! I dumped 3/4" out of the rain gauge this morning, and it has rained more since (raining right now, actually).

As for me, I'm frustrated with my body because I seem to be losing my balance much more frequently lately. In fact, I nearly fell about 8 or 9 times yesterday. One of those times, I fell against the brick wall on the side of our front porch. The wall kept me upright (YAY), but at the cost of badly scratching the bezel of my smart watch (BOO).

Tomorrow my friends and I are doing a fabric store shop-hop. It's as much about the company as it is about shopping...

Spring - Yes, koi are fish. They are a type of carp, bred originally by the Japanese from the common brown carp that were kept in rice paddies. Some can live as long as 200 years and weigh in at 35 pounds, and they can be quite colorful. Believe it or not, they are relatives of the common goldfish that people keep in aquariums all over the world.

Sun - My boss does 'have my back' as the saying goes, and has asked that I be removed from the project.

Rock - I think I got this picture off a tablet I once had...it was the default wallpaper picture on the device. I just thought it was pretty, so I kept it.

Mikie - Down with the red tide!! Down with the red tide!! I used to watch CSI Miami until it got too unbelievable. Speaking of CSI, a contractor who used to work with us recently got indicted for arson and child endangerment for setting his house on fire for the insurance money. One has to wonder why people would do that when they know that forensics are that good these days. And what makes it more sad for those of us who worked with him is that we basically offered him full-time employment, so he could have been out of his financial difficulties...

Julie - Good that your DF is doing well. So nice that the treasures can spend time with you so their parents can get a break.

Must get back to work. Hugz to Barry, Star, Granni, etc.
    -Duckie
    Starlight74, bct and Mikie like this.
  12. sunflowergirl

Duckie: Sorry about your "almost".....scary I'm sure. How's your hearing and your ears? Anything out of the ordinary because that will affect your balance. Have fun shopping.

Spring: That's what I was thinking about those tutorial.....she was beautiful without anything. And I was thinking what great eyebrows she had then she announced she had them tatooed. Well not wonder. And I kept looking at her lips.....I think she had collagen in them and she was also wearing a slight color to them to start with. I learned about a primer though for the eye lids area so I'm going to look for something like that. I wear a light bit of smokie taupe color but within 15 min. It starts to move around. And I liked the idea of using the eye liner UNDER the lash. Don't you just love those great before and after pics?

I've tried samosa before.....I liked them!

Mikie: Gosh, has it been that long that you've had SV? Too bad you can't stand apple cider vinegar because it really helps when I get an upset stomach. I think it's the acid. Hey....come to think of it I might be feeling too good in the late afternoon and I have a glass of red wine and it seems to help. Something to think about.

I didn't know Aretha was ill. I know a lady who fought the pancreatic cancer for over a year of chemo....looked awful but she continued to work. She's in remission now. Another well known disc jockey in Los Angeles was diagnosed with it and was gone in 3 mos.

Rock: When I was growing up we had a small family in Los Angeles and Pomona, and we would plan a picnic at a nice local park kinda in the local mountain. I loved that park because they had grass covered slopes and I would roll down the slope and then go back again! My DH didn't really care for picnics....bummer. We were so mismatched in so many ways......big bummer.

It's a bit cooler this morning so I forced myself to go for a short walk. OMG, my hips and legs were screaming, but the nice cool breeze felt so good.
    dmcduck likes this.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Don't feel much like doing anything so am checking in from time to time. I did use the Mr. Clean sponge to clean the fronts of my white cabinets. They get gross. I have a six pound turkey breast in the oven; it's the oven's maiden voyage. Seems to work well and heated up in record time. Publix had the frozen turkey breasts on sale for 99 cents a pound so I got one of the smaller ones. I got it on Tues and it's been defrosting in the fridge for two days. It was still frozen in the very middle. I'm roasting it in foil so I can just leave it in there without worrying about its burning. I'll uncover it for a half hour to brown up. They even included gravy to cook. Didn't expect that. I have some Stove Top dressing and will add dried cranberries and pecans to it when I fix it. It's a big news day so will be keeping it on to take my mind off my ills. I will stop and drink my licorice tea. It's good for tummies.

Spring, your food sounds delicious. American food is basically bland. I think that's why we love Italian, Mexican and Chinese food. We have an Indian restaurant here but it wasn't that good. I still love the Midwest kind of meals my Mom made and can't wait for my roasted turkey and stuffing. I also love pork chops and steak. Still, variety is the spice of life and I love a variety of spicy food. Do they sell pressure cookers there? The new ones are countertop plug-in models which is basically what the Instant Pot is. It's just a bit smarter in that you can put any amount of rice in it and it knows how long to cook it based on the weight of the stainless cooking pot inside the cooker itself. It doesn't do anything which can't be done with steam cooking; it just does it faster, a lot faster. It's hot here too. Will be in the mid-90's but feel like 105 degrees. Yikes! Stay cool, my friend.

Duckie, Happy Birthday to your DH. Did you tell him the rain is his BD present? Ha ha! Do you know what is causing the balance problems? I have a BOSU ball and I really should get on it to improve mine. A lot of my balance issues are from my plugged up head/ears. Please be careful, there are lots of people who love you and people who count on you. Hmmm! Wonder who the patron saint of balance is. I'll look it up. That's really scary about that guy you worked with. I just read that the guy outside of Denver and his wife had declared bankruptcy so they had money issues. How in the world does murder seem like a good way to handle financial difficulties? Seems as though these people can keep their tendencies hidden until some big stressor takes over. This couple lived in Frederick, CO and it's not really a Denver suburb. It's NE out on the plains. Take care and don't fall. Aha, just looked it up. Patron saint for people who fall is Venantius. Kinda hard to remember.

I pray for all of us every day because we all have special problems and needs over and above the other things life can bring. Spring introduced me to Zedkiel the Archangel and I ask him to surround us with his purple light of protection. On that note, I'll bid y'all adieu.

Love, Mikie

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    bct and dmcduck like this.
  14. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Dear Ones,

Just I thought I would give you some news abut my no news if that makes sense. Not sure if I mentioned it yet or not. According to the food blood tests that was all negative. What else is new everything is negative but the way I feel, even the blood test of long ago for thyroid, They were always within the normal range as they say. Then years back they found I was hypoothyroid and am on meds..They keep changing for one reason or another. Now it is Np thyroid. Armour was getting ridiculous in price, So they are going to to the IGG blood test using the same blood they already took from me. Medicare pays little or nothing and so I have to pay $200. I guess it could be worse. There are 40 tests and they are $5 each the nurse said. So it is wait some more and then most likely go to a dermatologist is my guess. The doc is also going to order me some spray thata is supposed to help with my post nasal drip. Hope it is generic and works. If to expensive I just probably won't take it or very much. I have it most of the time but sometimes it is just driving me nuts, like now. Trying to sing is also not good with it .

MIKIE - That roasted turkey and stuffing with gravy sounds so yummy. Haven't had that since last Thanksgiving most likely. It is wise to stay in the house if the RT is bothering you plus the heat and humidity but know sometimes you just have to get out in it for shopping and appts.

So sorry to hear about that awful murder, that guy in Colorado who confessed I believe to the death of his wife, 2 daughter and the baby obviously his wife was carrying too. I wonder if he was abusive at home at all. These people outside the how act like they are so caring when in truth they are just the opposite. The financial problems obviously was only an excuse if he didn't take that full time position. How very sad for that family.

DUCKIE - Sorry about your imbalance problems. Hope you get them taken care of asap if it give you more problems. Happy Birthday to your DH. Making him a cake or special dinner or out to eat?? Hope you feel better soon too.

JULIE - How nice you are giving Amy and Clinton a break while watching Miley for a few days. Hope she is behaving herself. You are smart enough to do or way whatever is needed should the time arise. You understand children pretty well but I know it can be frustrating especially if she isn't your actual grandchild but you just need to show and tell her you do care but sometimes certain actions are not tolerated.

Hugz to all inc our MIA and those I didn't get to chat with properly. Hope everyone is feeling as good as possible.

Love to awl,
    Granni :)
    Mikie, dmcduck and bct like this.
  15. sunflowergirl

Granni: Sorry that nothing showed up. I'm sure you were disappointed. Does that mean you're not allergic to cow's milk, etc. I know you've been eating goat milk, cheese, etc. so if you're not allergic will you now start enjoying regular cheese?

Mikie: I had asked my lung doc. About Diane, which was shortly after she had died. He said that unless she had an autopsy her family wouldn't know for sure, since she could have had undiagnosed heart troubles, etc. Most people don't die from flu, it's the complications from something else like pneumonia which she could have had, but since she was adamant that she wouldn't go to the urgent care she died before Kevin could insist. Such a loss. Since he's never responded I guess we'll never know. Do you know her last name or what city she lived in. If you do you could do some sleuthing.

When I finally got the flu in May I was REALLY sick from it. And I was on antibiotics.

I've got a stomach ache today, almost feel nauseated. Probably something I've picked up.

I've been sewing today, working my way thru repairs and enjoying listening to some Bobby Darren songs on my Alexa. I'm really surprised as I remember most of the words. What a great talent he was, dying too soon. Remember his short marriage to Sandra Dee? I had read she was really devasted and actually died a few years after he did.
    dmcduck, bct and Mikie like this.
  16. Starlight74

Starlight74 Well-Known Member

Hi guys.
    Am behind again and will hv to go back to catch up.

Thank God that Dh finally agreed to go to dr with me.
    These days there's hardly any point if its only been 2 wks with the flu,
    As they usually wont give antibiotics if less.

Managed to squeeze him in with me and as I suspected,
    He has pneumonia.
    We had to drive to next town's hospital, as this one is useless (barely staffed)
    And get him on a drip and big dose of powerful antibiotics.
    He didnt want to stay in, so after the drip was done, we went home.

Ds is recovering and has regained his appetite.
    He will be back at school Monday, but will hv sooo much work to catch up on.

Meanwhile, Mil and her partner hv come and gone.
    Glad they didnt stay coz they usually expect Dh and Treasures to camp out
    With them and that could've been disastrous for all my lot.
    And them too I guess.

Anyway, lots more to say, but truthfully, I'm exhausted!
    Though I feel guilty even admitting that, with Dh in such bad shape.

Lots I wanted to respond to aswell, but it'll hv to wait.

Take care all.
    Catch yas later.
  17. sunflowergirl

Star: I'm glad you finally checked in AND that you took your DH to the doctor. As I said above, it's the pneumonia that happens after a bad flu and a person has to watch out for the signs. Good thing you drug him. So I'm assuming the drip was because he was dehydrated. Glad to read your DS is better......YOU STAY HEALTHY.
    dmcduck and Starlight74 like this.
  18. rockgor

Hi Kids

Was up most of last night. This morning (Thursday) Gordon and I decided to go
    do some shopping at the market and the 99.9 store to get some batteries for the
    remote control, some dish washing liquid, and whatever struck our fancy. As we
    were getting ready I said, "Wait. I think I'd better lie down and rest for a little bit."
    Woke up nine hours later.

Gordon is at his orchid meeting. He took several plants including his spectacular
    purple vanda orchid. It has two spikes (or stems); each about 4 feet tall. There are
    5 or 6 big, dark purple flowers on each spike. I hope it doesn't suffer any damage
    during the trip.

Mikie, I used to read Archie comics with Betty, Veronica and Jughead. Also listened
    to the radio program. Ezra Stone played Archie. Later became a director and pro-
    ducer. Can't find a Saint for balance, but St. Vitus is the patron saint for dancers.
    He reportedly danced with angels. With regard to flu, I read years ago that during
    WWI, the flu epidemic killed more people than the war did.

Sun, that schizandra sounds interesting. I wonder if it makes you have exotic dreams.
    Kinda like Scheherazade. Let us know. Gee, I'd forgotten all about rolling down a
    hill. Our grade and high school were on the same hill which had a gentle slope.
    Perfect for rolling down. Even in the winter. I'd forgotten all about Bobby Darren and
    Sandra Dee. Also the Buttafucco story. Although it seems one should remember a
    name like that.

Granni, good luck with all the tests. You're right. Turkey, stuffing and gravy does
    sound yummy. But I somehow became allergic to turkey about 20 years ago.
    I don't really understand how that could happen.

Spring, Abe Lincoln had 4 sons. Three died before reaching adulthood. Robert,
    the oldest, became a wealthy business man, atty, and ambassador. No, I didn't
    have any idea that comics books that cost a dime could become a source of wealth.
    A couple years ago the first Superman comic sold for over 3 million dollars. My
    mother threw away my large box of comics when I went away to college. I coulda
    sold those babies and paid for my college education.

Duckie, I'm sorry to hear of your instability. I have it too. Here's a little ditty to
    amuse you. (Well, hopefully.)

Duckie had a nasty fall.
    Scrapped her bezel on the wall.
    Thank goodness she is still intact.
    Better that her watch got whacked.

Hugs
    Rock
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Friday Morning, Kids,

Been to the lab, got my blood drawn and came home to eat my breakfast. I was so tired that I could have gone to sleep on the sofa before I left. Thank God I showered and shampooed my hair yesterday. Today, all I had to do was take a bath and run a brush through my hair. The lab has a fancy schmancy new check-in gizmo. I put my drivers license in a tray and it automatically read my info. Then, I put my insurance card into it and it scanned and copied it. I'm glad I was called up to the counter to talk with a real person. She had all my info and we chatted while the printer spit out all the labels for the blood and urine vials.

We talked about Aretha Franklin and she was amazed at what a big star she was. She is very young and not familiar with her work. She said she is getting emotional about it just watching all the people mourning her on TV. I never knew Aretha Franklin sang opera. The tech who drew my blood was very nice too. She said I don't look my age. Well, flattery will get you anywhere. I always like it when people are nice. It makes errands so much easier.

SV is still wild, yowling, running around and playing with his track ball games. Wish I felt well enough to do that.

Granni, I hope they can find something to help you to feel better. They didn't ask for a co-pay today and I'm not sure why. With these Advantage plans, the insurance companies can only make so much and then they have to put profits into patient benefits. It could also be that this is part of my annual which has no co-pay. Two hundred dollars seems pretty steep. Hope the Rx isn't too expensive. I didn't get the Doxycycline filled because it was too expensive.

Sun, I think the statistic quoted by that doc included people who died from complications of the flu. As you pointed out, that is usually what kills them. I used to e-mail Diane but it was her own e-mail account, not Kevin's. I sent e-mails there after she died but never got responses. I know that some people die from complications so rapidly that they pass before anyone can get help for them. Because she passed in her sleep, it could well have been something like her heart. I miss her and say hi to her now and then. I talk to the dead and think they can hear me. The RT is making me feel nauseated and I found out that's a reaction to it. My eyes are watering nonstop, another reaction. Even people who normally don't have reactions are now feeling symptoms. I hope you feel better.

Star, I'm so glad you got DH to the doc and that your DS is recovering. Flu is nothing to fool around with. I had pneumonia the last year I lived in CO; it's one reason I moved here to a more humid climate. I'm also glad MIL and partner have departed. People don't need company when they are sick. Don't feel guilty about not feeling well yourself. People who have what ails us are chronically ill and exhausted. People with the flu are acutely ill but most of them get well; we never do. We may have some good days now and then but we never feel as though we are in glowing good health. I'm sending love, prayers and good wishes for you and your family.

Rock, you must really have been exhausted. Glad you were able to sleep. I have been needing to go to the pet store for SV's treats; it's next door to Dollar Tree. I usually hit them both when I'm out. It's so hard to plan on going anywhere because it's too hot to go out in the afternoons. The heat index for today is 105 again. Then, things will cool down a tad for the weekend and next week. I will try to go tomorrow morning. I'm too tired to do it today. I noticed that St. Vitus was also the patron saint of seizures and figured he'd likely help out with balance problems. John Travolta danced in the movie where he played Michael the Archangel. I spect that all angels like to dance. Hope you have some NRG.

OK, Kiddies, I'm off to read the virtual newspaper. Hope all y'all have a wonderful start to the weekend.

Love, Mikie

dmcduck, rockgor, bct and 1 other person like this.
  20. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Good morning dear Porchies,

However I , as usual have to run out and do some work outside before it gets to HOT I have been reading while I drink my breakfast and finish my tea. Not drinking it now but that licorice tea I have or tummy tea has been very helpful to me. It doesn't have a strong taste and I love licorice,. I would have to check the ingredients again. it is called Tummy Tea.

MIKIE and SUN - I know what you mean about the eye makeup. I use very little anymore not that I ever used heavy eye makeup. Now I use even less. Like SUN I get it everywhere but where I should, I think.. SUN, I will probably continue to drink almond milk and eat goat cheese as it was not allergies that restricted me. My Nat doc says that what I am not drinking is much better for me and I shouldn;t have much real dairy due all my problems including digestion, candida, and whatever else.. I have to go in in Sept for another checkup.

MIKIE or whoever else was talking about DIANE her last name was Swiger or Swigger I believe and she lived in PA forget exactly where. I have her info some place in my mas sof papers.

JULIE - Enjoy Miley and hope all is going well with that little girl. Rest too if you can.

Hope everydobby has a great weekend. Will try and pop in later. Gotta go work a bit outside and DH needs the computer.

Love to awl,
    Granni :)