Porch Number 874 is now CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, My Dear Porchies,

I'll post this and come back to add on to it.

Guess I won't be coming back; I just lost my entire post.

Love, Mikie
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Oh, Mikie. Sorry your post vanished. That is so frustrating. None of us
    have enough energy to have some wasted. BTW I looked for the derivation
    of floozy. Couldn't find a thing. I serially doubt that you look like one,
    however. Even if you did, I'm sure it would be a refined floozy. Hope
    you and the kitties all had a restful night.

Dennis, of Grace and Dennis, sounds like a guy with a problem. He must
    drive everyone including himself crazy. Gordon has a sister who is
    a little like that. She'll call and say she and DH are coming over. Then
    she'll usually call to change the day or the time. And usually shows
    up late anyhoo. I just stay upstairs and ignore the whole business.

Julie, surprised to hear you had a gully washer. Were you surprised?
    We had more than the usually amount of rain this past winter, (it's
    our rainy season), but no big storms here. Other places in CA had
    flooding, roads washed out, etc.

Bacon and eggs sounds good. Haven't had same for years. I'm so tired
    of can't do this or that or eat this or enjoy that or on and on. Wish the
    whole thing were over.

Well, my strategy worked. I posted yesterday that no one was posting
    on the Homebound Board, and sure 'nuff, somebody did.

Was watching Andy Kauffman imitate Elvis on Youtube. He's very
    good. Johnny Cash said Andy did the best impersonation according
    to Elvis himself. You can also see Jim Carrey imitate Andy
    imitating Elvis. Whew!

3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Need to come and say something so you know I have not fled the country. I also want to pick up your posts on my phone. I have to figure out how to make some tabs or favorites so I can find you again. This stinks ! I cannot lose my PORCH FRIENDS ):!!!

I have already missed so many things happening.

JULIE - Sorry you are feeling so badly and hope you don't pass it on to Gpa too. That would not be good for him or you. Did Lindsey order something for you to take.? Is that what she sent to your house? Hope it works and that you get better fast. You cannot afford to get sick. I need to go back and read some of these posts. Take care of yourself sweetie so many depend on you. YOU are your first priority, then Den and Gpa.

MIKIE - Sorry you lost your post . That drives me crazy !! I am able to type much faster on this computer without to much problems. There is no delete button I can find but there is a backspace button that works. That can drive me crazy.

DGS is getting a new used truck today for his birthday. Actually I think he is paying for it. His dad did pay for it I think but the rest of his money goes to the insurance. Not sure if he is paying some of it back or not but he will pay for the insurance. It is fairly high rate until he turns 26 I think. Then the rate is lower. We are going after to look at it and have a drink or so with them. He got a good deal for a truck with 36,000 miles on it. (Close to $20,000) I think with taxes added.

Gotta run for now and get this submitted before it disappears.

Love to everydobby,
    Granni :)
  4. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Julie: This bug has terrible muscle aches that even ibuprofen wasn't helping. I think it lasted about 2 days each time then coughing started big time.......if that's what you've got. Hope you've got some cough drops. One thing that helped me a lot was inhaling a few drops of eucalyptus oil on a folded paper towel, kept in a baggy. Everytime I started to cough I inhaled deeply. If you don't have, tell Lindsey to bring with her since I'm sure she has.

Rock: I know you've talked about your lack of taste......but bacon has such a strong flavor and smell....maybe Gordon could cook some up for you and you could give it a shot? Yes, we understand when you say you're so tired of it all. Bad pain gets to me, period.

Picking up my little DGD on Saturday has done a # on my low back. Everyday it's gotten a little worse, and even with almost an hr. of slow floor stretches it hasn't helped. This morning I had to resort to taking a 1/4 tramadol which I hate, because it's a toss up.....do I want some of the pain to go away but trade it for feeling loopy? So tramadol and ibuprofen won out along with ice on my back. I was really paying attention to how soon it would kick it...basically an HR. Can't just not do anything so I went outside and puttered with clipping small branches on some ficus trees. Did a little more, then before I knew it I had put it almost 2 hrs. of repotting succulents, etc. so now I'm hoping to be able to sleep a little.
    rockgor likes this.
  5. springwater

springwater Active Member

Hello All

Granni - your grandson must be excited about his new truck..hope he takes good care of it. Our sons little car has served him well these past few years..our roads being so small and traffic logged.

Rock - i think you didnt see my previous post...ive been a bit tardy popping in..but i did post something the other day. I enjoy when i see your jolly posts and know you are doing well or as well as can be..considering what what we all go thru.

Mikie - sorry you lost your entire post! horrors. its so interesting about your DD going to some kind of place in her dream and being at a cafe etc..the places i went to seemed like earth but not quite this earth..i think its similar to what your DD experienced. Your whole family seems to be kind of tuned in to that other side of this dimention. LOL.

Julie - aargh. what a headache to have that bug going around..our area and yours must be connected somehow because we too hv been having this stuff here. A bad cough and then chest pain and pain in the joints and severe fatigue after the slightest exertion resulting in legs feeling like jelly. Are you taking anti biotics? i can imagine what a gully washer in your rural area must feel like..wet and cold and muddy. we hv had slight rainfall..with decline in temps..but the hot season is around the corner and guess who is not looking forward to it at all.

Sun - i dont know what those shots are called but i think its the same thing you were describing..the shots we get when we get bitten by a dog. Several injections in the stomach.

The blockade has been lifted apparently..so we are getting fuel but the lines are long. still an improvement over having to buy in black. And we got two earthquakes the other day, just in case we got too settled in and complacent. One i felt at 11:00pm ..got rattled around a bit.

Flower season is here and the geraniums i got are blooming but they cut a lonely figure among the barren island that is my garden this year. I havent really given attention to the annuals and its the usual perennials who come up on their own who are adding a bit of colour. I know Rocks and Sunflowers gardens must be a riot of colours right about now. My annuals which i brought with great effort died coz our man friday didnt check the soil which was infested with those hooked worms which are a holy terror.

We had a bit of a feast last night because the DH brought home food from the hotel where he had a meeting, he brought biryani chutney some black millet bread, some salad and mutton roganjosh for the meat eaters.

Well, take care all

God Bless
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, My Dear Porchies,

We are in a hot, dry and breezy spell. It's good for my health. I will try to get to the pool tomorrow. Yesterday, I was purging so, other than going to Bealls, I didn't do anything. I kept getting weak and feeling so hot. I had a coupon and got a cute sleeveless navy blue tee shirt with a white anchor on the front. I got some white Capri pants which fit. I'm so sick of wearing baggy clown pants. I will buy a few more pairs and try to take in the old ones when I can. I got $75 worth of clothing for $33. Macy's is having a big sale too but don't know whether I have the NRG to go to the mall. I should get groceries and clean out the fridge.

Kitties have been soooo good and so loving. I get a kick out of it when they lie on the bed and watch TV. Last night on Survivor, there was a shot of a monkey and Tweety was mesmerized. I should look for DVD's of animals.

Rock, yes, Dennis drives me crazy with his indecision and I don't have to live with it. It must stem from anxiety. I feel sorry for him. Grace seems to think it's normal. He has become friends with a neighbor who is anxious and a nitpicker. Yikes!!! I don't have the NRG for all this drama. I watched a new series on Amazon called, Schitt's Creek. Yes, your eyes don't deceive you. It isn't that great and they go for the cheap laughs but, when I need distraction, I'll watch about anything. It's about a rich family who loses all their money and have only a small hick town which they bought earlier. They are forced to live there and move into the town's shoddy motel, complete with all their designer clothing. Show isn't for those easily offended by sex and language.

Julie, I'm so sorry you are sick, along with the rest of the family. It breaks my heart that your plans continue to be spoiled. I hope y'all can get together when everyone is feeling better and I hope y'all feel better soon. Our family's plans to get together continue to go awry too due to health problems so I know how disappointing it is. My DGS is growing up and I'm missing it all. Prayers going up.

Sun, sorry your health problems continue too. I get a lot of relief for my back pain by wearing my Icy Hot TENS Unit. I also wear a back brace when I'm doing anything active. You might give it a try. Good luck.

Granni, I'm glad the new computer is working better for you. I assume it uses Windows 10. How do you like it? There should be a DEL button; often is is near the INS (insert) button. Hope your DGS likes his new truck.

Spring, I'm so glad the blockade has lifted. I hope things get back to normal and the lines go away. I also hope and pray the EQ's stop. That has to be so scary. Yes, my family and I have had paranormal experiences over our lifetimes. I'm glad we don't have them all the time. When DD goes to the lobby or café, it is just like one here on earth. There is no sense of being in the light nor of the immense love people who have had near-death experiences have felt. Of course, there is love for the dearly departed but nothing beyond what she experienced with them when they were alive. They seem only to want to reassure her that they are fine on the other side. Hope the flowers cheer you up after such a long siege of hardships.

Gonna get going before I lose this post. Hope all y'all have a great day.

Love, Mikie
  7. rockgor

Hi Kids

Ya know how some people are so ungrateful! Don't appreciate nothin'!
    Never say thank you! Well, that's our computer for you. Here we
    provide it with a lovely home and all the electricity it wants, and it
    turns on us whenever it gets a chance.

I went to Youtube to watch some more of their documentaries last night.
    One was about giant fish that live in the Amazon river and sometimes
    attack people. Supposed to be a National Geographic film, but it
    didn't look like it. The photography was not up to snuff. The picture
    was much too dark. Anyhoo I went to the spot where one can make the
    picture bigger or smaller. Thought maybe I could somehow increase
    the light. Alas, no workee.

But! After that the tool bar at the top of the page disappeared. Couldn't
    click on my favorites. AACCKK! I'm happy to report that Gordon took
    time out from his duties as chef this morning to remedy the problem.

He is busy making cheesecakes for the orchid meeting tonight. It's
    the mini kind where you start with a vanilla wafer in a paper
    baking cup and pile stuff on top.

I ever tell you guys about my secretary who was going to take a pie
    to some affair or other? I asked her what kind. She said, "Comstock".
    So I figured it must have something to do with the Comstock gold mine
    and the pioneers. Uh-uh. Turns out she was talking about Comstock
    brand pie filling.

OK. That took all my energy. Back later. Hugs, Rock

8. Granniluvsu

Lunch time and I finally found you guys. This stinks with no tabs to find anything. I have been in the meantime writing a childhood and family friend who lives in NYC. That is about all I have done except I am dressed and I did a load of towels.

JULIE - So sorry you are still feeling so bad. Have you taken your temp? It sounds to me that you might have a fever. Have you taken you temp lately at all. Are you coughing too? Be very careful you don't end up with something worse like possibly pneumonia. I remember way back when my kids were young and I just kept on pushing myself and my kids were little I ended in the hospital with a temp of at least 104. That was in the days of only IV strong antibiotics. I was also in the hospital for at least a week. You know the drill lots of fluids, rest, tylenol or IBU and try not to get around to many people specially Gpa or Den. How do you do that?? Best not to let any of your kids of g kids to get around you at all. No one needs that stuff. Be careful sweetie.

ROCK - I remember those little cheese cakes made with the Comstock pie filling. They are yummy.

Hi to SUN, ROCK, SPRING WATER, et al. I need to go fix lunch and switch my towels . May try and check in later if I can find you all again. Nice to read about you all but no time to write right now.

rockgor likes this.
  9. bct

bct Active Member

Julie, the word is dwam ( for stupor). I hope you get to feeling better soon. Have you seen a doc? Please consider it! If it turns to pneumonia ......:(. Not good.

Mikie, how is Windows 10? (I'm presuming you have it.) I still have 7 but am afraid to change to 10 -- a real technophobe here .:eek: Richard will do it for me if I need/want to change. My computer keeps egging me on to do it. o_O

Diane, hope all is ok with you. I have been really down the last few days; maybe the change in daylight time...

The weather is sunny today, and will be in the low '70's. The tulips are in bloom, some daffs. still, including a pink and white one. Daisies and dandelions everywhere. So much needs to be pruned, weeded and tidied up. I try to put in 15 minutes a day tidying, but there is so much to be done that it gets me down. Another day, another dolor.

Richard made a wonderful lentil-cajun andouille soup yesterday. I'm looking forward to lunch! The lentils are whizzed with carrots; the sausage minced and put in later. Yum!

Typed out; must try to do a little outside today. With luck.....:confused:. And the rains are predicted to come again in a few days.

Hugs to All,

10. Granniluvsu

Spring Water - I think you meant Rabies Shots or called Hydrophobia originally I think. I went back and read some more of the posts I have missed reading.

Barry - All that yummy stuff Richard has been cooking sound so good. I am so tired of cooking and worst yet trying to figure out what to eat. Since it seems that all or most short cuts I use or have used are now no nos. I wish someone would cook for me for a change :)!! I know what you mean about getting tired out just surveying the situation of the many things needing work !!

Speaking of cooking I am making corned beef and cabbage. Doing it a bit different today and cooking in the oven with water also inside the pan. Doing the veggies in the pot with onions cabbage and carrots. Usually I do it all in the big pot, putting in the veggies after the meat is done. I don't think I am supposed to eat the corned beef but will eat a little. DH loves it . It is not my favorite meat but can fill up on the veggies:)!!

Diane - Hope you and all are doing well too. I have missed a bunch too on the PORCH due to change in computers and ease or lack of it it in trying to find the PORCH.

MIKIE - I do like the new computer but have to get used to the programs DS put on it. I do or did find a delete button. Will check that out later and see what it does. Hope it doesn't take off things I don't want to remove :)!! The keys on the printer are silver and the writing on the keys sort of light up but not always to easy to read. Yay, I just checked the delete button and it works. It is above the backspace button.

Gotta go and make a contact list on the computer. So I will scat for now. Get well JULIE and all those feeling worse than normal ( if any of you even know what that means)..

Love to all,

11. rockgor

Hey, Kids

Just got back from the library. We got 12 books plus a couple of paperbacks
    I bought. They were ten cents @, but I didn't have much change. Put
    all I had in the collection box. A quarter and a penny. A widow mite do the same.

One of the books I got is a biography of Harry Selfridge by Lindy Woodhead,
    the source of the TV series.

Granni, glad to see you got your new machine. It certainly seems to be
    working better than the old one. Did you ever find the INS button Mikie
    mentioned? I never knew there was such a thing. Yes, your right.
    The mini cheesecakes are very good even though probably not advised
    for those of us with diabetes.

As the little girl used to say in the 1960s commercials for Shake
    'N' Bake, "An Ah hept." I think she had a Southern accent. Anyhoo
    I put the pie filing on the top.

A nice pun with "another dolor".
    I like a writer whose prose has color.

Gordon got several cozies. Don't know if I mentioned these authors
    before: Emily Brightwell; Lorna Barrett; Leslie Meier.

Springwater, Not sure which of your posts you are referring to.
    I did not respond to your previous post on this board because
    I was posting on page two and your post was on page one. It is now
    too difficult for me to go back and forth. I get all confusiated and
    sometimes I lose the post. But I agree with all our other posters about
    the poor dog. It was very kind of you to try and help it. I get really
    disturbed by all the sad stories in the news about abused animals
    and children. I don't read any of them.

Sun, sorry you have all these recurring problems. I must say I
    admire anyone brave enough to transplant succulents. I have
    been stabbed several times by Gordon's vicious cacti. Trying to
    remove invading plants from the cactus pots is hazardous.
    The worst was years ago when we were moving a large cactus
    (barrel maybe). It fell against my chest and inflicted multiple
    stab wounds. I told Gordon never again unless you provide
    a suit of armor.

Gotta go. Can't sit any longer.

gb66 likes this.
  12. rockgor

Hi Kids

Gordon reported that his mini cheesecakes were snapped up by the
    orchid club members last night. He brought home a first place award,
    an honorable mention and a free plant.

It's a tslandia; an air plant. These plants can somehow extract water
    from the air. Spanish moss is another example. In the bromeliad
    family. His friend Jim won a Culture award. That's culture as in
    cultivate; not as in attending a string quartet recital. Ha Ha.

Julie, I never heard of the word dwam. ( That dwam Berry knows
    everything.) I though D W A M was what little kids said when
    asked if they wanted more green beans. Don't Want Any More!

Mikie, hope you get some energy back. I agree with you on the clown
    pants. You definitely should not wear them without the appropriate
    clown shoes. That's interesting that Tweety was watching the
    monkey. You think she'd like a sock monkey of her own?

Sun, I looked up ficus tree. Apparently ficus and fig are used
    somewhat interchangeably. Although I suppose nobody really
    gives a fig. I wonder about the derivation of that phrase. One
    site said it came from the Spanish. One said of uncertain origin.
    Maybe it's just a euphemism. Hope you're feeling some better

Springwater, hope the gas situation continues to improve.
    Are the Kathmandu streets still littered with rubble from
    the earthquake. What color are your geraniums? We have
    lots of pink ones. We got them free. They were growing at
    the shop where we go to get the car smogged every four years.
    Gordon asked if he could dig up a few and the clerk said, "Sure."

Granni, I 'spect by this time you have the new computer tamed
    and your fingers are blazing over the keyboard.

Diane, hope things are fine near the corner in Pittsburgh,
    Pennsylvania. Give Kevin a friendly punch on the arm
    for me.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, Porchies,

OMG! I slept til 8:30 this morning! Of course, I had been up about 5:00 to give the kitties their morning treats but went right back to sleep and they didn't bother me. I think they would have let me sleep even later. I've been lavishing love on them and they are eating it up. I woke once during the night and Tweety was snuggled up next to my foot, which was out from under the covers. She would reach out with her paws and draw closer to it and then, snuggle the top of her head against me. For me, to snuggle with a cat is Heaven! Aaaahhh!!! :)

I sat out on the lanai last evening and drank a glass of white wine. That may explain my good sleep. I may try it again. My kids gave me a little hanging copper wire squash blossom which has tiny LED lights along the wires. I turned it on and it was soooo peaceful and lovely out there. Earlier in the evenig, I sat out front with Grace and another neighbor on the Balcony. We don't do that much anymore. Once the skeeters show, I come inside. The Zika virus can make a person sick and one of the side effects can be Guillaine Barre Syndrome. Yikes! One of my favorite neighbors across the street is dying of cancer. It has now gone to her brain and she has about six months to live. She is on chemo and will be leaving early with her daughter who is a doctor. I know I will never see her again once she leaves. It has left me feeling sad. :(

Grace's husband, Dennis, assembled a housing for our garden hose. It looks like a little rattan box and the hose winds up inside. He's a really good guy and I appreciate how hard he worked. He is the one who offered to put it together if I were to buy it for our bldg. I went right down to Costco and got it. I needed some hemp hearts and Chia seeds and also picked up some K-cups on sale. Smart Water was on sale too so I got another 12-pack of the large bottles. I'm sick of rotisserie chickens so got the shrimp salad. Mmmmm! I never get out of there for less than $100 but the large sizes of some things last for weeks. As much as I hate processed foods, I got some frozen chicken Teriyaki. I figure if I don't eat processed foods all the time, I can eat some now and then. I might not eat if I can't fix something easily from time to time. Today, I have to pick up a few things at Publix. The pool will have to wait until tomorrow.

My NRG continues to be better than it was. Thank God! It's not high but I'll take what I can get. I'll try the pool tomorrow.

Rock, the insert key is a toggle--on or off. If you want to go back to a sentence and insert a word or two, you want insert to be on. Otherwise, the new word(s) will be typed over the existing words instead of being inserted. Mine is always on. You can test it to see which mode it is in. BTW, you can start typing your response on page one and then go to page two and scroll down and your response will still be there in light text. Just click on it and it will darken and you can add to it. This is something new since the website was upgraded. If that doesn't work for you, you can do Control C to copy what you typed on page one and then do Control V to paste it into the reply on page two. More than one way to skin a cat. Is a widow mite like a black widow spider on a mite? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

Barry, I caught that pun too and really appreciated it. Nothing like an intelligent pun for a punster. Mine are usually more sophomoric. Oh well, any pun is worse than no pun at all. The flowers sound lovely. About all we have right now are hibiscus bushes in bloom. Our plumarias are about to bloom. The geraniums in our flower boxes and the various flowers in our large olla pots are getting leggy because, it appears we will have no spring, only summer this year. Oh, some of our plumbagos are in bloom with the gorgeous blue flowers. Hope your NRG improves but don't overdo it. I like Windows 10 but the print page is often too large to click on 'Print.' ARRGGG!!! :mad:

Julie, same for you; I hope you get over this crud and feel better. It is so sad that sis neglected her dad so horribly. It breaks my heart to think of his trying to forage something to eat and having nothing. Let us know how you are doing.

Granni, glad you found the delete key. I can't live without it. I don't know whether your computer is like mine, but in Windows 10, if I click on the current URL in the strip at the top, it will bring up my regular website URL's and all I have to do is click on the one in the menu I want to go to. If the computer is set to automatically delete the browsing history every time you leave a site, this won't work. I do clear my browsing history after I've done online banking but I do that manually. Click on the little row of three dots in the upper right-hand corner and it will reveal some of the utilities you can perform. Otherwise, you can type what you are looking for in the lower left-hand corner and it will bring it up for you.

Another W&P so will get going. Hope only good things for everydobby. :)

Love, Mikie
    rockgor likes this.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Rock, we must have been posting at the same time and you finished first. No wonder with my Warren Peace posts. We have a lot of the air plants here and I hate them because they are so thick they choke off life to the tree branches and the branches die. They seem to love our red bottle brush trees. Spanish Moss is strange; it is thick in some areas and there is none in others. We have live oak tress but no Spanish Moss in the hood. Glad you and Gordon have such cultured friends. I always suspected you two were cultured guys. Cultured as in refined, not as in yogurt.

Love, Mikie
  15. rockgor

Hi Mikie

Isn't that something?! What do ya think the odds are? Let's see.
    If we take the number of people posting at any given moment in
    states on opposite coasts and divide by pie (the custard kind)
    and then add, or would it be subtract our ages...Hmmm?

At any rate be sure to use a custard recipe that employs
    highly cultured yogurt. You can find 180 such recipes
    at this site:

Oops! Sticky keys again. Maybe I got yogurt on them.
    Gotta go.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

I got such a late start that the day is shot already. So, I did what I usually do in such a case; I soaked in Epsom Salts and painted my toe nails. I need to get a lighter shade of pink for spring. This looked like a hot pink in the bottle but looks almost red on. I might also get a light, frosted pink shade. Decisions, decisions!

Got an e-mail from mgmt. with an invoice attached for $800 for plumbing work. It isn't ours so the poor new accounting clerk will have to figure out whom to bill. I don't OK any bills that are out of the ordinary until I see the bill or invoice. Our new 'treasurer' for our assn. doesn't even think she needs to see our financials. Good grief! By law, we have to have three people on our board but, I have a feeling that I'll still be doing it all by myself. It's a shame no one wants to step up. On the other hand, they all, except Barb, are happy with the way I've been running things.

Yeah, Rock, what are the odds? It was Pi day the other day. Pi lovers claim no other discovery in math equals pi. I, myself, have had little use for it, like most all the math I labored to learn and understand in school. I've had more fun using pie recipes. Now, unfortunately, those days are mostly gone. I have a very hard time putting anything like that in my mouth. If junk food could just kill me outright, I might eat it but it can cause things which might make my demise long, painful and drawn out. AACCKK!!! No obit reading, death by pie (or cookies, cake, etc.).

Julie, Sis had to learn her passive/aggressive ways somewhere and I don't think the spoiled apple fell far from the tree. GPA knows just what to say to insult you but make it sound more innocent than it is. Insult to injury is right. I haven't been over to the pool for a while and my downstairs neighbor mentioned it. I told her I've been in a relapse and exhausted. She said, "Sometimes, we just have to force ourselves." I told her that when one has chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and Sjogren's Syndrome that there is no 'forcing oneself.' She just turned and went inside. I felt like asking her whether she could have forced herself to work out in the pool the week after her gall bladder surgery but, like you, just let her thoughtless remark go. If y'all think I'm a whiner, you shoulda seen her after that surgery. I know we don't all recover in the same time frame, but she complained for weeks on end that she could still feel the pain. It was her first ever surgery and didn't seem to grasp that surgery hurts. Duh!!! She screamed at the nurses and doctors that she was in pain and embarrassed her husband.

Gonna go. It's obvious that I'm not gonna get anything done today. Oh well, as Scarlett said, "I'll think about that tomorrow."

Love, Mikie
    lydia1 likes this.
  17. bct

bct Active Member

Hi All.
    Rock, a beautiful pic. of a Tillandsia. Is this the kind that Gordon got? I have about half a dozen kinds, some with very exotic blooms. Blue flowers emerging from scarlet bracts! Most of mine are growing in a ball that I hang under the cherry tree in summer, and bring into the "solarium" during the cold weather. The most vigorous is an orphan that I picked off of a jungle trail in Costa Rica many years ago. I brought it back into the states in my shirt pocket. I SMUGGLED! :rolleyes: Anyhoo, it must be about fifty plants be now. I see there are over 700 species in the genus.

Mikie, have you seen the flowers on Spanish Moss? They are very tiny but worth a gander.

Richard calls,
    Bye for now.
    rockgor likes this.
  18. sunflowergirl

Mikie: you beat me to the punch about how Gpa is VERY passive aggressive.......that "innocent grin" is a real give away. I've lived with PAs all my life and it ain't fun. The problem is one never thinks of the proper reply to a PA until time has past. I have to disagree about Sis though. I don't see anything passive about her......strictly aggressive in getting what she wants and the H@#$ with what anyone thinks.

By the way, thanks to you over a year ago I bought a Hot and Icy tens unit. The batteries were expensive so I sent off for a whole card of them. And I've worn a wide neoprene belt around my hips for at least 5 years or more. They're amazing......you sweat and the body heals faster with moist heat. Wish I could take off some inches off my stomach though but it doesn't work. Aren't there reducing things out there based on this principle?

This morning didn't start good. I noticed the pool wasn't circulating the water, so pulled out the sweep and worked on hidden berries from the neighbor's tree.....@#$%^&* THen I couldn't get the pump to prime, tried several times and had to call my pool guy who tried to talk me thru what I could try. Still no luck after working over 45 min. of the up and down kneeling, getting up, stiff knees, kneeling again, so he said he would be out tomorrow. I'm getting to OLD to be doing this. Bad time since the other owner had hand surgery this morning. I hope he can get it to working again. Trying not to worry.

So I decided to plant some small nandina bushes I bought yesterday and move some ferns, so that led to a very exhausting morning. Didn't feel up to painting so skipped the art group, again. There's just so much that has to be done around here. Yesterday I spent over an HR. cleaning out and disinfecting the cats' litter boxes. A giant job since I have larger boxes that hold them.......the cats make such a mess, don't they, Mikie.

Barry: I had quite a large group of tillandsia, but apparently I've got a brown thumb with regards to growing them. Had them wired to a board, had them on top of pot, but only ONCE was I ever able to get one to flower. Anyway, I just gave up, tossed most of them out of anger! :mad:
  19. Granniluvsu

JULIE - Sorry you are still feeling so badly. It is getting later and I need to go get something to eat. DH is at the Fish Fry and DD#4 and family are coming today to stay at DD#2 for the weekend. I have been busy today and just got back not to long ago for ZUMBA class (sort of like aerobics to the Latin beat). Went with DD it was the second time we have gone, at least for me. She might have gone another time. It is a lot of fun but tiring. I just love music and dance. I might not see the visitors tonight unless they get here early enough and I can run over to say hi. Will see them tomorrow.

DS will come tomorrow to go out to dinner with us but his wife had another engagement of sort. He will hopefully come a bit early to check out the computer. I am hoping that he can help[ with the questions we both have.

So glad that Den is home to help with Gpa We may be getting some rain. I am getting Houston severe weather alerts and we aren't in Houston but north of it. Houston is pretty big. Have you heard about the flooding on the border of LA and TX around 1-10? Some is bad and they have had to close the hwy down till monday when they might open it, that part that is flooded..

SUN - So sorry to hear about your pool and you can get it fixed for a not to hefty price. I agree with you about SIS. She is just plain aggressive and mean too.

Hugz to everyone inc ROCK, MIKIE et al. I need to grab something to eat. DD just texted to say that they visitors are almost here.

Love to awl,
  20. sunflowergirl

Julie: EXCUSE me.......but did Gpa utter.......you bout had the whole week off?????? If I read that correct, I'm sitting here "choking". If he did, then he's definitely PA!!!!!! Boy.......I would set him straight......he's NOT paying you to be his chief cook, bottle washer (laundry washer) and nursemaid. And as to the pleurisy, if you are a HARD cougher (like me) yes you can have it or a cracked rib. Best thing is for you to get a working thermometer. I'm sure Den can find one in a local store. Glad to read it's breaking up. I had to take Musinex which helped me.

Granni: Have fun with the visiting kids. Always good to have family around.

I overdid it in the gardening dept. today and had to take a nap. Woke up and went down to chit chat with the art group, but no painting. By the way, we're assigned to "copy" a "master's painting". There was mixed reactions to this idea but I think it might be fun. So I've chosen "The Absinthe drinker" by Edgar Degas, mainly because it was just shadows and highlights. We were supposed to push ourselves so the figures are doing that for me. I just finished sketching it on a toned canvas with a charcoal stick. It seems I remember I can spray it with something so I can set the charcoal......I keep touching it and rubbing it out. I hope to lay down the under painting tomorrow. It's been years since I've painted in oils, so this might be good to shake up the creative juices. I've gotten very stagnant.