PORCH VOLUME 665 IS NOW CLOSED!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Gang,

I just posted the 30th over on the old thread so thought I'd open up a new Porch. C'mon all you MIA's--let us know how you are doing. We worry about y'all when we don't hear.

Love, Mikie
  2. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mikie! Sounds like you've got a good plan A and a plan B...sounds like lots of fun, once you get to whichever destination you decide on.

Granni, my heart just goes out to you...but people can be in some pretty tough situations and still straighten themselves out. I wonder if Jam was recommending that you and some of the rest of the family find an AA to go to...it might help you understand how your DD may be thinking?

Well, my day yesterday came to a screeching halt, right after I ate some late lunch. Just started feeling really bad...upset stomach and got so tired all of a sudden. I went to bed and left a note for Den. Next thing I know, he is home from work and I was feeling worse. Finally vomited everything I had eaten during the day...took a couple "episodes" and involved "both ends" at the same time :(

After a few experimental tries, I was able to sip on some 7-up to try to keep from getting too dehydrated. Then I just crashed for the rest of the night...woke up at 2:30 and every hour after that, but still felt rough. Lindsey felt bad and said I shouldn't have brought Lorraine over to my house on Sunday, but I told her I would do it again...when a sick child needs care, you just do it and don't worry about the "consequences."

Den stayed away and even took up residence upstairs in the guest bed over night. I really hope he doesn't get it...

Now, I have a headache so took some Ibuprofen and will head back to bed...if I am up doing anything at all today, it will be to just putter around in the house.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Haven't been here for a bit due to my electrons not working properly. Also, my computer was ill.
    Can't post too much, because I can't see the keyboard. Not sure what the cause is, but whenever
    we turn off the table lamp, the computer shuts down. I think there was a Mama's Family episode
    with a similar plot.

I have both kinds of news. The bad was I fell again. The good was I didn't have to go to the
    emergency room. Saw the doc yesterday. He removed my stitches. Going back this
    afternoon for a sonogram of the carotid arteries. I had a sonogram for the heart a few years ago.
    The technician was from Persia (Iran). He got part of his training from my cousin who works
    at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I asked the technician if it was a boy or a girl. He just
    gave me a confusiated look.

Just heard the weather report. It's snowing in the mountains East of LA. The skiers are rushing
    out there to romp in the snow. Of course they have to put up with a lot of traffic to get there.
    I understand it's a very expensive sort of recreation. Dunno myself. Last time I skied was in
    Minnesota during the 1950s. I imagine the basic principles are the same. Try to stay upright
    and avoid hitting anything.

Hugs
    Rock

I
    have been reading your posts. Thanks for all the good wishes. Will post some more later.
    Tried to move the above sentence. No can do. Oi-vey!
  4. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I'm baaaaaack! Trying to use our Ipad. We took it on the trip, I would sign in, thought my posts were there but each time I pulled it up....nope. So don't know what the problem is.

Sorry to read that there's STILL flu making the rounds at your homes.

Mikie: Hope you're able to get to Colorado for your scheduled visit. We left Oregon yesterday afternoon and we could see the snow clouds rolling in. They were expecting a big arctic storm. Coming from so. calif. it was HARD to adjust to the layers of clothes including the heavy scarf wrapped around my face almost the entire time we were there.

I did good for the most part on the trip. I've learned I have to carry a small container of almond butter in my purse with a spoon for those times I feel the blood sugar drop. I also have a rice sock I had made that slips into a black faux leather covering to velcroe around my neck. And I was lucky to find people at the hotel lobby or little restaurants that would heat it up for me in their microwave. That along with lots of ibuprofen and some pain pills at various times got me thru.

We rented a car the day after we arrived, drove to see Multnomah falls (spectacular but freezing) then tried driving that late afternoon in the city. OMG! The next day we left the car at the hotel and learned to take the lite rail train and streetcars to get around.

Rock: I was concerned why you weren't posting. I hope your ticker is OK. Have you had the falling episodes first thing when you get out of bed?

Granni. I think someone mentioned that you look for AA meeting places for relatives. I've heard they are of great help.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Ah, Porchies, sooooo good to see y'all posting, especially since so many are having problems.

Julie, I feel your pain, my sister, as memories of the "both ends" thing are still fresh in my memory. I am so very sorry you are sick. A lot of the time, this kind of thing doesn't last too long and I pray you are on the mend.

Diane, I may not even go to Atlanta if it looks as though getting to Denver will be hopeless. I have trip ins. but don't know how things have to shake out to use it. Have a call in to my DD to see whether she knows the rules. I hope both cats stay well and Faithy gets over the pinkeye soon. Seems they are taking advantage of DH.

Rock, so glad you posted as we were all worried. I'm sorry you fell again. After my big head injury, I couldn't see right for months. It all came back in one day in a snap. Praying for a quick snap for you. Doc said this is normal. I'm laughing about the "boy or girl" thing. Every time I go into the urologist's office, I'm tempted to ask for the free prostate exam they have advertised.

Sunflower Girl, I love the idea of having the almond butter on hand--smart! As I mentioned above, I'm not sure I'm even going to try to go. Denver is a hub and is a mess in big storms. I'm barely keeping the UTI's at bay as it is and think travel may not be my friend right now.

Granni, I also thought the suggestion for Alanon was for you. Families need support, sometimes, even more than the one with the problem. I dated a recovering alcoholic for a short time but went on a retreat and sat through the Alanon parts, as well as the AA parts open to everyone. I learned sooooo much and it really increased my understanding.

Went to condo mtg. which was horrible. We have one family who wants us to let them violate the rule against keeping a commercial vehicle (big, tall A/C van painted from top to bottom). Board already voted to not allow it, which I think is the correct thing to do. If you let one do it, you have to let everyone do it. Not all commercial vehicles are decent looking. We don't have garages, just carports. The woman asking to break the rules simply refuses to take no for an answer and threatened to sue us as she stormed out. They had us believe that if he couldn't keep the van on the property, he would lose his job--NOT! He can pay $100 a month to store it, drive to it and go to work. As it is, they are taking up three parking spaces, another violation. Things weren't handled very professionally. I had written a concise letter to thank the board and boil things down to the issue at hand. This woman keeps talking about things which simply are not germane to the issue at hand. I read my letter and the board liked it, even those who voted against what I want.

I got the video games mailed to DD for DGS so that's done. I also got some groceries. Been losing weight ever since the ABX messed up my innards. I never know what to buy to eat. Well, I can stand to lose weight but diarrhea isn't my idea of a healthy weight control program.

Gonna rest for the remainder of the day. I'm still not up to doing too much and am afraid the UTI symptoms will rear their ugly heads. I will watch "The Blacklist" and "Hostages" this afternoon. I fell asleep last night and missed them. I'm sleeping so much better since getting the shot. Also, I'm wearing my sleep mask which keeps the light out. So, Dear Ones, take at least as good of care of yourselves as I'm taking of me.

Love, Mikie
  6. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

So good to hear from Rock! Sorry you fell again, but glad nothing was broken or needed stitched this time. Hope the other tests come out just fine.

When Den was stationed in Germany (with the army) we tried to go skiing on the Zugspitze, the country's tallest mountain (10,000 ft.) Neither of us had much experience...even the "bunny slope" seemed hazardous! I was never so glad to get back on "solid ground", lol!

Diane, sorry you and Kevin have had this bug too...pretty rough. My stomach is better, but now I have such a headache...

My condolences on the loss of you CIL, Dick...

Oh man, calling Kevin at 10:00 pm and expecting him to troubleshoot...is it the same person or group that keeps calling him? Like new employees who don't know what they are doing, so just expect him to take up the slack?

Sun, so good to hear from you. Thanks for trying to keep in touch...I have never used an Ipad, so would be no help in that dept.

Glad you found ways to manage pain, etc...

Sounds like the trains and streetcars were the way to go :)

Well, as I said, my tummy is doing better...have only tried to eat saltine crackers and drink 7-up so far...and had some coffee earlier. But...right after lunch, I heard the overhead shop door open, and Den had come home early. He said his stomach wasn't too good this morning and by noon he had to come home...vomited right before he left work, and actually felt better that way, but "wiped out."

So, he is up in the guest bed and I am going to head back to bed myself. Lindsey popped over to check on me, and took food to the cats on the way back to her house.

Hate wasting this beautiful day, but at least I do know better than to push myself to get outside...haven't even had the energy to do anything in the house...

Jam, I forgot to mention that I agree with you on the clutter and hanging on to things. That's my big push right now, trying to get rid of things so our kids don't have to deal with it...part of my problem is that it's not all our stuff.

But I am working on being more realistic about anything that my dad would ever ask for...actually, I have mentioned a few things and he didn't even remember having them. And since my parents left almost everything to me, in their will, I have no obligation to "save" anything for anyone else.

There, I am working this all through in my mind (and online, lol) so I can more justify clearing stuff out...

Better get back to bed...feeling so wiped out and a little dizzy...

Editting...Mikie, I see we were typing at the same time...I'm going to go read your post now :)
  7. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Folks

Gordon and I took a tour of our acreage. His Christmas cactus has bright pink blooms. The two others will bloom in succession during the next two months. At least that's what they usually do. The narcissus has small white blooms. The flower is similar to a daffodil. The camellia bush (played by Greta Garbo) is in bud. It will have gorgeous red blooms soon. Several of the orchids are blooming. And Gordon found one cherry tomato which I promptly ate as he does not like same.

Julie, is your upset tummy righted again? I remember them from childhood. My mother prescribed 7 up too. I thought of looking on the net to see what was the cause and why do they generally go away in adulthood. It's like a lot of things I would look up only I never think of them except when I'm not at the computer.

Diane, I hope Keven gets paid for his "homework". Glad to hear Faithy seems better; hope Rosie doesn't go pink too. Is the big yellow duck still in Pittsburgh?

SG, my latest fall was thisaway. I left the computer room, turning off the light as I went. Then
    realized that once again I had forgotten something. Went back 4 steps to pick up a book from the computer table. Then, somehow, I got a discombobulated and instead of walking out the door, I walked in a different direction and fell on top of some boxes with blankets, etc. A soft landing. I just can't understand how or why I changed direction. I guess it's all part of the getting old and nothing works syndrome.

Sounds like you were well prepared for your trip w/ almond butter and your stole. Could you
    save space by putting the almond butter in the leather tube?

Hafta take a break. Doctor visit this afternoon. Back when I can. Hugs and Kisses
    Rock
  8. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Had my carotid arteries test yesterday. A typical medical procedure, i.e. annoying. Had
    to complete an 8 page questionnaire. After obtaining my name and address, the questionnaire wanted to know if I had ever been admitted to the such and such hospital
    before. The hospital was one I had never heard of and in some other town. And we didn't go through this nonsense the last time I had a sonogram.

Anyhoo I sullenly filled it out. After what seemed hours but probably wasn't a dark skinned young woman with black hair who was wearing something that looked like a Navajo blanket came out and said, "Zha-bon?" Since Gordon and I were the only people in the waiting room, I asked her who she was looking for. She tried again: "Zha-bon? Jo-ban?"

Nothing like my name, but it was I she was seeking. She held the door open for me; then followed me down the hall calling, "Can you please follow me?" "Not unless you walk in front of me," was my clever rejoinder.

Anyway it turned out that like the previous technicians for previous tests, she was from Persia (aka Iran). I will skip to the results. My arteries are 70% blocked which means, from what I read on the net, I am a good bet for a stroke. Gordon kept asking the doctor questions, and the doctor kept saying he'd have to review the entire test results. I finally pulled Gordon off, and the doctor said he'd call us. Uff-da!

Mikie, are satin jammies expensive? They sound like something from the 1930 movies where the bedroom was all white and so was penguin, I mean the peignor. Reminds me of some silk boxers I bought a J. C. Pennay a couple decades ago. I did it on a mad whim thinking they would probably be fragile and fall apart in a month or two. Sadly, I was right. I coulda got 3 pair of cotton for the same price. Ah, Life! So full of learning experiences.

Jam, I wrote to you about bridge books, but I think it was the message that disappeared. Have
    you read any books by Victor Mollo? He escaped the Russian Revolution when he was a child. Then lived in England. He wrote two kinds of books. The instructional and the comical. See Bridge in the Menagerie" and its sequels if you haven't already. The L.A. Library has some. Sure wish I could still play.

Granni, I hope your Italian dinner was a treat. I haven't had pizza for years on accounta
    teeth problems. Lottza great pizza places in LA. There's one that has a space ship parked in
    front. It was made in the 50s. Is about 6 feet tall. They have 3 stores and every 4 months they move the ship. (It is generally believed that that the space ship is trucked; not flown.)

Very sad about your daughter. It is a shame that people can't be helped until they want to be.
    One of the Helpful Concepts in Emotions Anonymous is: We do not come for another person — we come to help ourselves and to share our experiences, strength, and hope with others.
    I went to meetings for about 25 years to help my depression. Would still be going if I were able.

Big hugs
    Rock
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Julie, hope by now, you are doing better and no one else is sick.

Jam, you are right; the Universe can't send new things to us if our lives are crammed too full with our old stuff, emotional and physical.

Rock, when I tripped, I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking. I was only focusing on getting to my coffeemaker in the kitchen. I'm much more careful now and move more slowly. The BOSU ball has helped me with balance. I hope they can help with clogged arteries. Keeping you in my prayers. Those jammies weren't cheap. My Mom bought them for me. I wouldn't normally sleep in such luxury but it's a beautiful set for special occasions. My red Christmas cactus isn't blooming. Last year, it was loaded. It's a big plant. It's out on the lanai. Our desert cactus has beautiful dark red blooms on it. I love that plant more than any other I've ever had.

Talked to DD in Atlanta. If, by late tomorrow, all flights are cancelled, delayed, and backed up across the nation, I will not go. If there is still a possibility, I will fly to Atlanta on Fri. and if I can't get to Denver, I'll stay with DD in Atlanta and return to FL. Flying is so iffy this time of year and this is a HUGE storm. Weather is lovely here, low 80's and sunny. I slept well and feel better. Barb is at the door for coffee so will sign off.

Love, Mikie
  10. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Good Wednesday morning! It says the temp here is 48 degrees F, but that it feels like 50...suppose the dense cloud cover makes it feel warmer? If we were in Belize, we would think it really cold, but in Iowa, it's like the tropics, lol! Well, maybe not THAT warm, but definitely warmer than we will be having in a few days.

I am out in the main part of the house; been up for maybe an hour. Trying to keep fairly quiet as my poor hubby is still sleeping. These are the first "sick days" he has taken in almost two years...he is just never sick. His stomach was better last night, but he got a headache (seems to be a trademark of this bug.) He's not one who can just lie in bed, unless sleeping...so I am trying to keep from waking him up...

Rock, I hope you hear soon from the doctor about your carotids. My dad has to have that ultrasound every six months...his were just under 50% blocked in 2007, when he had his triple bypass. His ultrasounds keep showing "no change" but I think it is because the doctors back then put him on Plavix. Dad is allergic to aspirin, so that therapy has never been an option.

It makes it very hard, when one can't understand the doctor who is treating them. I used to be too embarrassed to ask them to repeat themselves, but now I figure I have a right to know what they are saying.

Mikie, I hope your travel plans work out however is the best for you. I haven't flown since our last trip to Belize in 2008...if Den and I go to Texas in February, we will drive, but then we have to be aware of road conditions...at least until we get far enough south, and one never knows, even then o_O

Granni, as hard as it is, please try not to stress too much about your DD. As Rock and others have said, we each have to decide to get help or to help ourselves. I know it is heartbreaking, but I worry about you and your b/p, if you get too worked up about her. Sometimes, as parents, all we can really do is pray for our children, true? She is in my prayers, as well.

Well, when Den wakes up, I will probably go outside and work on that "vacuum" some more, since it is so nice outside. We do have some "Goodwill-worthy" things, but a lot of it is just "junk." Or has been stored for so long, it needs major cleaning before it could be donated anywhere. That kind of stuff is going in the trash pit...I had Den dig a big hole with a fence around it a year ago, just for that purpose. I can throw all this "stuff" in there, and we can burn what will burn, then bury the rest. That's how it's done on the farm anyway...

I look forward to the day that I can walk into any of our outbuildings, find what I am looking for (without having to crawl over or move anything else) and still have room to store "seasonal" things, etc.

Still planning to go to the far away chiro tomorrow...he has helped my neck/shoulder/arm/hand more than anyone else...I'd like to keep the improvements going...

Take care, everyone...have a "good enough" day!
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  11. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Jam, you just gave me a great idea...probably without even realizing it, lol! To take pictures of things that bring back good memories...don't necessarily need that particular "thing" anymore, but always nice to look back once in awhile and "remember." :)

Speaking of pictures, I have boxes and boxes (and albums and albums) of pictures that my mom took over the years. I have a feeling that some people would love to have them (pictures of their children, or parents, etc., etc.) Something to do when I have lots of "free time"...I know, what's that, for me, at least?

I like to do framed collages and have them hanging on the walls...something to look forward to, when we have more walls in the new house. Requires dusting once in awhile, but takes up lots less space than some things...
  12. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi Porchies All!

Sorry I went MIA again. Work has been non-stop chaos. The holiday made things more "confusicated", as Rock so aptly describes things. Lots going on from what I've read here. So hard to keep up! I spent the last two days decorating the first floor, library, t.v. area, lobby, foyer, mezzanine level and two trees. I still have two more trees and the dining room to go.

You'd have to see this place to understand the scope of space I'm describing. The Fort Armstrong was once "the premier" hotel years ago. Heck, there used to be a bowling alley in the basement! Many very famous people entertained there in its heyday. Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Bix Biderbeck and many more. June Haver, (if you remember that actress, singer, dancer), grew up in Rock Island and she came there to celebrate a birthday in 1935 or 40. I forget the exact year at the moment. One of my residents actually dated her at one time.

I gleaned a lot of interesting information when researching the place for a marketing event. Beautiful old 9 story building. It was built by Italian artisans and it's beautiful even now. The present owner has had the good sense to keep it up and restored. There was a ballroom on the mezzanine level, a restaurant (now the dining room), gift shops, a bar, coat check room, etc.......Amazing history this building has.

It is, however, no day at the beach to decorate!!! All I could think of today was, "Crap"! "In three weeks I'm going to have to take it all down and store it again"! The residents are enjoying it very much though. Puts them in the "spirit". That is what makes it worth doing.

Granni, sorry you're experiencing difficulties with DD. Prayers for you will be said. Hope you are feeling as well as possible. Still keeping up with the exercises? You are such an indominatable spirit. I enjoy your posts and your wit. Stay well.

Rock, Glad you didn't get major injuries from your fall! Sounds like your computer has gremlins. Ya know, I used to be a cold weather fan. I used to snow ski. I started out with cross-country skis at 11 years old. Waited until I was thirty to try downhill. Loved it. Now I no longer participate in any sport where there may be an ambulance waiting at the bottom of the hill or my posterior might wind up higher than my noggin! Oh, and by the by, no strokes allowed! Stay well please. Will pray for it.

Jam, You're right about the Calmes Forte and Melatonin are a great combo. I take two of each at bedtime along with my Flexoril and Lodeine. I hated taking the Ambien. Made me too groggy in the morning.

Mikie, Thanks for starting the new porch. I've missed reading your posts and hope you don't hear from the UTI monster again any time soon! Stay healed please. Careful with the coffee. That's odd, I can't get my smilies to work. Drat! Am I alone in this? Oh well.

Joan, didn't see any posts from you. Hope you are doing ok. Wishing you well.

Sun, Diane, Windy, Julie, good to be back and reading your posts. I've missed a lot. Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I am glad to report that my regimin I started a few months back is still holding strong. I'm working my duff off and still, I'm not in a flare. This is good. Last year was horrid in the pain sense. My supplements and homeopathics that I added are working still. Thank Heaven. By tonight we're in for some bitterly cold weather to finish out the week. I shall be known for the rest of the winter as "Nanuk of The North". People will see nothing but eyeballs peaking out of all the outerwear I don for the season. Somewhat like an Eskimo/Ninja sort of flavor in my winter apparel.

Have to go and catch some Z's so I can get up bright and early. I live to decorate another day.
    Love and hugz to all!
    Dar
  13. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Good evening, everyone! Welcome back, Dar!!!!! We've missed you, but knew you were swamped at work. All the decorations sound wonderful...

Glad your "flare be gone" is working :) I can only imagine how exhausted you must be, but you keep on truckin'...

Jam, glad you like your new shirts...always fun to get something new, once in awhile.

I feel like I got quite a bit accomplished today, and happy that it didn't cause a relapse of the flu bug...I have to think that forcing myself to rest so much yesterday might have helped ;)

I did get one stall of the garage emptied out, so David can park his work vehicle in there...never know when he will have to head out very quickly, and easier if he doesn't have to scrape snow and ice first...it's not heated, but will keep the elements off.

I also THREW AWAY two loads (in my little garden cart) of trash/junk/etc. I finished about two hours after sundown, so was using my headlamp. It kept getting colder and colder...28 degrees, when I checked a little bit ago.

Gotta get a few things finished and get to bed earlier tonight...long drive tomorrow to the chiro. Thinking of everyone, and hoping all is fairly well.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Gang,

Julie, I'm always amazed at the fact that anyone allows open burning anymore. Down here, it's the normal way to clear out bush before building. We get winds from all directions since we have water on three sides. Our air is some of the cleanest in the country so I guess the burning isn't polluting too bad. We don't have a landfill here. We have furnaces which burn the rubbish. There are scrubbers to clean the smoke and the heat is used to make electricity. Our animal shelters are always looking for towels, blankets and sheets. Mine are usually in too good a shape when I give them away so I give them to Goodwill. I try to recycle, repurpose and give away things I don't use but, sometimes, it feels like I'm losing the race :( I have got to get rid of some of my old tees. I hope your trip to TX works out. I think this massive storm is an anomaly.

Jam, glad you got some good sleep. A good night's sleep is a blessing to be sure. I woke at 3:30 and peed and had to pee again as soon as I got in bed so decided to just get up. I have the really ABC news on. I keep the volumn on really low and hope it doesn't wake the people downstairs. She has a sound machine which she says drowns out noise. My ceiling fan does the same for me. I wish I had the patience to sit still to play cards, or any kind of game. I know it's good for the brain.

Dar, thanks for the good wishes for the UTI. It's a bit touchy; could go either way. If I go, I'm taking my ABX with me. I don't envy all the work you have ahead of you but I know how much it means to so many. You really make a difference in others' lives.

Well, Dear Ones, I have a plan. Will be tracking flight delays and cancellations all day and watching the storm. A delay in one place can have a ripple effect down the line. Talked with both DD's yesterday. If things look good, I'm leaving in the morning for Atlanta. If the leg to Denver is cancelled, DD in Atlanta will come pick me up and I won't go on to Denver. Denver is expecting another snow storm Sun. and I have to try to fly home on Mon. Oy! I think, as much as I love the snow in CO., I won't try another trip in the winter. Too iffy and stressful. At least, I have a plan and a backup so I won't be one of those people on the news sleeping in the airport. I told DD that they would never put me on the news anyway because they'd have to bleep out every other word :eek:

I didn't get much done yesterday. All that's left is to vacuum and run the floor cleaner on the tile. I'll do that today. That, and pay bills. AACK! I'll likely sit out on the Balcony as the weather has been really nice. Poor DD was outside waiting for DSIL to pick her up last evening. She was freezing and had to go back inside to warm up. It went from the 50's to 10 degrees in a very short period of time. Thank goodness, if I go, I have warm clothing but, even then, it's hard to stay warm. It's gonna be in the 80's here all week. I have the Weather Channel on now. Right now, no delays at our airport but that could change. This afternoon and evening will be crucial.

I had to smile; the Denver Zoo brought all the animals inside where it's warm and gave them new toys to play with. They have big screen TV's to watch too with animal videos. I once told my Nebraska Mom that I could never keep cattle unless they had heated barns with toys. Cows are amazing animals who like something to do beside just chew the cud. Oooooh, it's minus 33 degrees in Denver--just saw it on the map. AACK!!!

OK, Kids, I'm going to sign off and pay my bills. I hope everyone is doing well. I'll pop in to let y'all know what's happenin'. Take good care of yourselves and I'll ask the angels to watch over everyone.

Love, Mikie
  15. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Just read a report from the Assoc. Press outta Denver. Cold weather there and in Minn., Texas, and Calif. A guy in Laramie, Wyoming, said it was minus 25 there. Our weather report says it will be in the 60s and high 50s the next 5 days which is pretty standard, BUT we will have some nights with temps in the high 30s. Never seen it that cold here, and I've been here 46 years. I wonder if the punk kids who wear their pants down to the asphalt will finally pull them up.

I remember listening on the radio for snow days when I was a kid. We were so happy when the announcer read off the name of our town. Of course the grown ups didn't tell us another day was just added to the school year to compensate.

Hope all goes well with your trip, Mikie. I plan to never fly again. You see where the passengers on a Delta flight got booted so the Gators basketball team could use the plane? Don't know about cow toys, but Gary Larson did a cartoon on cow tools some decades back. He said it was not a success. Readers were mystified rather than amoozed. I hope you
    have wonderful time.

Nice to see you back again, Dar. Sounds like you've been busy as a "B" on Sesame Street. Yes,
    I remember June Haver. Was in lots of musicals. She and hubby Fred MacMurry were in that long Lucy episode where the gang was looking for uranium in the desert.

Sorry you can't get your smiles to work. Try resting with a warm, damp cloth on your face. Ha Ha! I don't think I've ever tried to use an emoticon here. :):cool::rolleyes: Oh, there. It worked.

Julie, 28 degrees! Brrr. That's close to freezing. When I moved to CA and people found out I
    was from MN, they always mentioned mosquitoes and cold weather. I was amazed to found out that many of them though freezing was zero degrees. Made me suspicious of all the beautiful new schools out here. Most of them one story.

Yes, throwing away trash is very satisfying. I wish Gordon agreed. Jam, glad you like your
    new purchases. I hate buying things, and then finding they are not satisfactory. Well, who
    doesn't. I wonder if the Denver Zoo would like some of my old T shirts. The monkeys could wear them. But they're pretty thread bare. Remember Julie Andrew's clothes when she left the convent? (S of M) She said the poor didn't want them.

Granni, hope things aren't too cold way down Waco way. You know what song has the same
    tune as "The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You"?

Joan, hope you are warm and comfortable. I often think of Zippy, and that reminds me of
    you and and your missing Maggie. Just read the biography of a Broadway actress named
    Dorothy Stickney. She played the mother in "Life With Father" which ran for almost 8 years
    on Broadway. A record finally beaten by "Fiddler on the Roof".

The father in the play was played by her real life husband, one of the authors of same.
    Anyway she wrote about their wonderful cat with the loud purr that was happiest lying
    in someone's lap.

Rock
  16. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Good Thursday morning...getting ready to head out for my "day of adventure" :)

I just checked, and for anyone who wants to feel like where they are at is really warm...it is 19 degrees F here! If anyone else has a colder temp, well...sorry.

Just waiting on the washer to stop...don't like to leave the house with any extra appliances running, except maybe the crockpot (but not even that, if I am going to be gone for several hours.)

Hello to anyone who pops in today...hope things are going okay.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, again, just messing around avoiding work. I've packed and my carryon is big enough for my fuzzy-wuzzy robe. Woohoo. I had a nice new colorful neck scarf but am leaving it in favor of a heavier one. It was minus 13 in Denver last night. I now have Plans A, B, and C so feel much better. I just have to clean floors and take garbage down and get mail. I paid bills so that's done. Nothing like waiting til the last minute.

DD in Atlanta had her surgery on her foot and is resting comfortably. Didn't know whether she could get it done because of DH's co's merger and change of surgery. Hope she recovers easily and that I don't get stuck in Atlanta tomorrow. If I do, at least, I can help her. DD in Denver is staying home today and putting up their tree.

Rock, Gary Larson used to crack me up as do your amazing puns. We used to buy his books and laugh by the hour. I'm glad the days of just warehousing animals in zoos is over in most places. It's still a prison no matter how nice it is. On the other paw, animals in the wild don't have it easy. We now know a bit more about how intelligent animals are. I pray for your continued healing and good news on the arteries.

Julie, I just sat outside for a bit and it's actually hot and humid. I came back inside to my A/C so I can clean. I feel for everyone who is having cold weather, especially extreme cold. Denver, if I get there, is going to be a big shock to my system. Perhaps that's what it needs.

Will keep in touch and keep y'all in my prayers.

Love, Mikie
  18. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

HI Dear Porchies,

I have been SO busy that I haven't been able to check or to post to the Porch lately. Going here and there and to much going on. Just wanted to let you know that I am still around and have not disappeared !! I can't be on to long. Don't even know where to start on a post.

Our lovely Italian dinner with friends turned out to be Mexican, the only one open on Mondays. Yes, we had made reservations and found out when we had gotten there that some idiot had actually driven into the front of the restaurant. So, they will be closed for awhile, not that we go there very often, to expensive. We did have a nice time even though it was not what we all had out mouths watering for. GRRR but it was a good time but aggravating.

The DD saga continues but I do not think she wants to talk to us but our DS is going down this weekend to see if she is till there and talk to her. What a mess. I think she has spoken to some people who must have had bad upbringings and thought we were toxic to her. Yep, that is us, we try to help her, maybe to much and then get blamed. Our x SIL has been trying to talk to her on the phone but he says she is so very negative and has a bad attitude and apparently doesn't want to listen or take our help. If she speaks to anyone our DS would probably the best one. Others are to far and the eldest daughter and her really clash. Eldest daughter has little patience with this stuff and is just disgusted. She had tried to help her in the past. In the past she got a bunch of info off the net about mental health help in their county. She just sent it to me but with no job who is going to help her. DH doesn't want to get started and we get stuck with all her bills.

We are worried ourselves with all this change in medical insurance rules, etc. We are pushing now trying to get out well person exams and get done what they suggest. Not sure if I will have a colonoscopy this month or next but will go to the specialist on Monday. Then DH needs to get the same thing done plus his yearly visit.

Going to an AA meeting for us sounds good but not sure DH would even go and it is so busy now I can't even do what I am supposed to do. DH has talked me into putting up the tree tomorrow, So, now I have more. work to do, the cards including all the singing that is on the calendar. It is really COLD out and getting worse. Guess we will escape any snow though I think. Supposed to get rain so we might get some sleet or ice later on.:(

Miss talking to you all on a daily basis. I went today to the chiro and DH had run to the store in the meanwhile as we have one car. Then we went to the Macy's to look at some creams, etc. that is supposed to be good for trying to fixing up old faces like mine :)!! Got a buy but it will still expensive. We rarely go to Macy's as it isn't convenient or cheap but does have nice things.

Diane, Rock, Mikie, Jam, Julie et al , nice to hear from you. Got lots to go so will try and go and try and get something started that is needed.so something.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers over this DD crisis. We may just have to step back and let her ruin herself if that is what is to be.. Glad the AA people at least put her up in a motel but not sure how long they will do that. In this cold weather what do you do.

Bye for now.

Love,
    Granni :)
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, again. Just got up from my nap and decided to check in and print out my boarding pass. So far, no delays from our airport but, at this point, that doesn't mean much.

Jam, I get plenty of sleep but when I first got my UTI's, I got in the habit of getting up to pee around 3:30 and sometimes, I can't get back to sleep til later. I also had a nap this morning.

Granni, sometimes, all one can do is pray. Based on what I heard there, and the suggestions of so many families of addicts, I believe Alanon, not AA (but it is affiliated) can be of huge help even when the person who is addicted isn't talking with family. At the very least, it might help you deal with your feelings. Parents can do everything right but addiction is still a family problem and parents need support. You have been harmed and need healing. Again, I will keep you in my prayers.

I really have nothing much except that I did manage to take my garbage and recyclables down to the dumpster area and get my mail. I vacuumed everywhere and ran the hard floor cleaner on my tile. It's nice and shiny. I went to lie down and saw the "Peggy Sue Got Married" was on. I curled up on the bed and fell asleep watching. I love that strange, strange movie. Everything is packed so there isn't much left to do. Morning will tell.

I hope everyone has a good evening.

Love, Mikie
  20. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Mikie - I forgot exactly when you were leaving for your visit to CO. I think that is where it is. I believe you are leaving Friday which is tomorrow. Hope it is not to long a ride to get to the airport or to long a flight. Have a wonderful flight and hope you feel better so you can really enjoy it. I know you will , you are usually so very positive about things. That is how I at least try and be. Most of the time I am but then there are days, to myself grrr !

!HAVE AN ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL TRIP AND PLEASE STAY WELL !!!

Have a wonderful time. I wanted to get on to wish you bon voyage in case I didn't get on tomorrow. Not sure if I will be on tomorrow or not I have so much to do and then we have the first K of C Christmas Party in the evening. It should be a good time..

Julie - Hope all is well at your house and people are feeling better. Our daughter #2 who now lives in NC and was the one who had cancer , her DH and son will be coming here next Friday for two days to look at a house they may be putting some money down on. I think they hope they can aren't for a few months until he sells his and then can buy. It is across the fairway from us. That will be nice to have some family close by. They will only be staying a few days and both her DH and DS has to go back to work.

Thinking of everyone and will get back as soon as possible.

Love to everydobby,
    Granni