Porchlight # 544 is open!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by springwater, Aug 21, 2011.

1. springwater

springwater Active Member

Come on over, all you guys n gals! dig into the buffet laid out and then
    relax into the soft enveloping porch cushions and divans or put on your
    dancing shoes and jive to the juke box in the porch corner. Yay!

This time is yours and yours alone. enjoy!

God Bless

2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

and for starting us up again as JULIE already mentioned. Since I already went to Line Dancing this morning I will forgo the dancing by the jukebox. I will do that another time :)!!

Julie - you are right about this is the only today (until tomorrow) we are going to have to make the most of it. So, I will try not and complain of my pains cince no one but HIM can take it away. As you know there are also so many others with it so much worse.

Did you start work today already? I think you also mentioned working only in the morning so you can do the errand thing in the afternoon. Is that correct ?

Hope you and everydobby else has a good day, as well as can be expected. I start County Choral Society tonight and church choir practice on Wed. Hope I can get up the NRG but I can always sing even if I have little of it.

Love to awl,
  3. Granniluvsu

Glad to hear from you and hear that a ll was OK> Was beginnning to worry but kept of forgetting to post to you.

I would love to see those shawls.

TTY tomorrorw hopefully. have to go finish dinner and then off to choral practice for the first time since supper. I was gone at the first meeting, lst week.

Love, Granni

4. teacher

teacher New Member

Sounds 'bout like what I'm on right now.

First day of skoo fo' de big folks tadae. Windsday de little 'uns come.

Woo hoo!

I teach music to all the kiddies, Kindergarten thought 6th Grade. I've only taught 6th for three years and I STILL don't know what I'm doing, but that's OK. They don't know what they're doing either!

I may add Pre-K, but I'm not sure yet. I have to re-check my schedule.

Picked up another 20 paper boxes. Now I can finish packing my books.

We now have a moving date September 10. I'm tired just thinking about it.

We got new music books for 4th Grade this year. We got an iPod to go with it. I don't know nuffin' 'bout no iPod!!!!!

Of course, they did mention that if something happened and it became non-functional, they were not going to replace it.

So, I have two choices:
    1 - leave it in the box
    2 - let the kids be in charge and hope it gets broken early in my career

Tough choice.

So, I'm off to stuff some more boxes.

Love you!

P.S. 1 box of teacher specific books, 6 boxes of sheet music, 3 boxes of cookbooks, 2 1/2 boxes CD's and tapes. I'm done for the night!

[This Message was Edited on 08/22/2011]
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Ever hear of fruktsuppe? Wanna guess what it is? That's
    right. It's fruit soup in Norwegian. Gordon made some y-day.
    It's not like soup at all. It's more like a dessert.

Tapioca, water, orange juice and assorted fruit; dried or
    frozen or fresh. Something a little different. Perfect for those
    luncheons we all give where we serve chicken salad in half an
    avocado w/ white wine and nut cups. Bon Appetit!

Just finished the biography of Harry Cohn, head of Columbia
    Pictures. He prided himself on being the biggest SOB in
    Hollywood. Fought w/ everybody.

Died when I was a senior in High School. Several thousand people
    turned out for the funeral. Red Skelton is credited with
    the famous quote: Give people what they want, and they'll
    turn out for it.

Cohn's buried in the Hollywood Forever cemetery along w/
    many stars and directors, etc. The cemetery is right behind
    Paramount and about 6 blocks from "poverty row" where
    Columbia was located.

I can't remember if I posted about my sister. She was fired
    2 and a half years ago. Been doing temp work. Just got
    a job and after two months lost that. Really rotten luck. How
    come some people have so much and some so little. Somebody
    should write a book and explain this phnomem...phenomm...
    this thing.

Joan, how exciting to have new grandkids. There's a video
    on Youtube: Tagalog 101-Common words and phrases.
    I used to take lots of depositions in Spanish and some in
    Tagalog. Did not improve my linguist skills though.

Is the book you mentioned by Leo Buscaglia? I found one
    with the same title and tried to put it on hold, but the computer
    wouldn't let me. Have to try again later. I was at a book
    signing years ago w/ Buscaglia. Not only did he autograph
    books, he drew pictures in them!

Springwater, thanks for opening. I used to have dancing shoes.
    They had taps. When I was in grade school my mother made
    me take tap dancing. My mother had this weird idea that
    if you didn't have any talent, you could make up for it by
    practicing a lot.

Well, my computer must be related to Granni's. It's acting
    up. Better post this and try to come back anon.

6. Granniluvsu

just thinking about what JULIE and TEACHER are doing. I'm lucky to get a wash thrown in for the day. Did go work out, such as it was, some treatmill and the leg pushy thingy and a few arm weight thingys.

Not much time to areally post now but wanted to check in. Went to Chorale practice last night - really fun music. This is the most fun program with oldies but goodies, medleys and such. Later on is more classical stuff, etc. Tomorrow starts church choir practice.

Teacher - you surely picked a crazy time to move (I know it can't be helped). Hope all goes well.

Julie - I am totally warn out from listening to your week. Hope everything goes well for you and everyone.

Rock - hope your computer gets better. I was just figuring out where eaverything is on the new computer and it goes and diess- what a disaster. I am not the most technical person believe me and the really scarey part I think is that DH is probably worse than I with the computer problems.

SW- hi there kiddo. Hope you have some getup and go today. I am still looking for mine.

Thinking about everyone esp those MIA's right now. Miss them all -Elaine, Carla, Jole, 1sweetie, Kjade and so many others.

Love to everydobby,Granni
    [This Message was Edited on 08/23/2011]
  7. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

going on right now! I have been on the TV since noon. I watch CNN quite frequently and saw the bulletin about the earthquake while I was watching CNN, about Irene hurricane, and also about Tripoli.

I don't know which to watch so I watch them all! My daughter is visiting my GD in Raleigh, N.C.! They surely must have felt that. The the hurricane is heading toward N.C. also. Daughter will call tonight after the g.kids are in bed. It is too hectic prior to that. The TV is about a yard from me so I have to stop and look frequently. The I want to see the national news right now.

Rock: Have you ever heard of Lewis Grizzard? He is a humorist from the south. We have 3 tapes of his and they are sooioo funny. The Daughter gave Harley a book of his at Christmas time in '94! I just read it. It is mostly about his life ----I really enjoyed it.

Then over the past 3 days I read a book by Bruce McIvic(?) These he called "Stories I Coueldn't Tell While I was a Pastor". It was also autobiographic. But it was delightful and I laughed about so many things that had happened. The last book that I have here is stories from Erma Bombeck. That should also be good. These are books that have been in a small desk for numerous years so I thought that it was probably time to read them!!!! when they are finished, I'll begin at the library. The librarian si a wonderful friend and she old me she would dliver the books right to mh door. Now I have to figure out what I want to read. any suggestions?

I have no idea what I have written so far as some things were in the letter that went Poof!

Well, Friday I went to coffee (you have heard about this before--about my so=-called friends). We always meet around 8 a.m. I went in at 8 and about 7 regulars were already there, drinking coffee and have left-over cake. I kept my mouth shut---no one said Hello or He so I just sat down. nothing was said as to why they were all there early. I just went home and cried! Why did they do that? Every regular was notified of the early time but me. I decided no more!!!!~ I did E-mail a lady that is very conservative and does not like that kind of behavior. It wasa a short note = not mean but truthful.

on Monday, a friend called and asked about me. I hadn't been at the Ice Cream social the night before (I decided it was too difficulgt for me- I can't get out of my canvas chair by myself, I couldn'gt get my porkburger, etc. so I stayed home. He said he wanted me at coffee, I needed the social life, and I was missed. So I said yes, Everyone (all but one) greeted me with smiles and a Hello. So====I'm at coffee. Yes, I would miss it. We don't have coffee on Sats and I didn't see a soul or talk to anyone. Lonesome day! So much for that!!!!

I am figuring out what I ate last eve. No stomach ache but other things that are going. I can't figure out what is best to eat this eve.

Julie: What a beautiful way to look at your new day! A songt says, "Yesterday's gone and tomorrow may never come but WE HAVE THESE MOMENTS TODAY~I just love that! It is so true so we must try to make each day beautiful in some way even though it has to be difficult for several of you!

Oh Georgia: Those shawls have to be soooo beautiful!! What a wonderful hobby!

Teacher; I don't envy you in the moving process. And all that "stuff" there is to move. I don't know what my family will do-----I hava a bigt stack of WWII music. I went to the drug store as a teen and bought all the new music thata came out.

The I have a stack of WWI, not as much, that my aunt bought and I inherited. then there is the old, old stuff, that another aunt taught from in the med. teens. I also inherited a music cabinet so it is all in there!!! And lots of old hymnals and Sunday School books that I sang from when I was very young! No one is interested in it in the family. It is probably worth something but-----------.

Rock: How wonderful about finding that book by??????---I can't remember his name but you wrote about him.

julie: I really miss the choir I had sung for 62 years and I miss it. but my voice is not the same. I only sing in church and that isn't enough to keep my vfoice up.

I can[t switch my eyes between the comp, and the TV so will tell you all good day. I just hope the world settles down-------there is something going on all the time to think about.

Wonder what I can find that is mild to eat this eveningt. Wonder if I just cook some rice to eat---of course, it ;hwas to have brown sugar and butter on it!!

Gentle hugs to all my dear friends. I hope your lives all settle down!

8. Granniluvsu

Not much time but will write a few lines and then do the hair project :)!!

Speaking of the earthquake, my daughter in Mooresville, N.C. said that she felt the earthquake too. It was quick and she didn't realize what it was at first. Her DH felt it at work too.. It lasted about 15 min. she said. They don't think that they will get much of the Hurricane as they are pretty inland. Hope not !!

I still cannot figure out those so called friends of yours being so rude and only get friendly when obviously someone spoke to them about it, after you had sent that last that e-mail. That would be more upsetting to me that not have a so called "social life". Hope they behave from now on - geez!!

Hmmm- rice with butter and brown sugar sounds almost like rice pudding, yummy. Maybe a little bit of milk or something in it for moistness.??

As you said there is so much going on now, to much for my taste and most of it not very good - oh dear ! I am so glad that you came on to see us on the Porch. We've been missing you you know !! I've been missing so many of our AWOL or MIA Porchies.

Hugs to you and everyone else,

9. springwater

Just peeked in to read all your lovely posts and take a breather.

very tired - been cleaning all day and yesterday. mad rush to get
    everything ready for daughter too. last min stuffs, things she had
    to get from her friends moms to take to their daughters, things
    people have asked her to get etc she even missed her dentists

all of you people out there in east coast pls stay safe, saw
    news about earthquake

will be back after

missing all our friends, Elaine , Carla, Mr Bill, Linda and many

God Bless
  10. Granniluvsu

Have been trying to get ready to go to a ladies lucheon. DH went to his investment meeting-trying to figure out what to do in these troubling times. He will have lunch too. I told DH I am not going to fuss with dinne r tonihgt, something lite before church choir practice.

Spring Water - Sounds like you are busy busy too , no time to think of oneself, at least till you get daughter back to school again :)!! I too am missing so many of our MIA friends. Hope they are doing OK.

Joan -Hi there again. So glad to hear from you .

Julie - My what a busy beaver you are with your parents. You will have to go to work to get away from other responsibilites- but then again I know you will still do them at another time, the afternoons I think you said. Do you get any time to rest at all except for when you try to go to sleep at night? You must have so many things going around in your head at night.

Still have a few things to do before I will be getting picked up.

Love to everydobby,
  11. teacher

teacher New Member

First day with kiddies today. Not many tears. Yay!

Start MY classes tomorrow. Will only be boring long enough for me to get their names down for my seating chart. After that, everything will be fine. Except Kindergarten.

They drive me nuts!

I like 'em anyway.

Was gonna tell you something else, but I've forgotten already. Oh well. Maybe I'll think of it later.

Watch out for the school busses!

12. Granniluvsu

It POURED of course while I was trying to get to choir practice last night. Had to sit in the car for awhile before it let up just a bit. Coming home was much better. It is drearing and sort of dreizzling or raining very light ly this morning. It is still supposed to be very HOT. Need to get dresses and then go out, if it stops a bit to pick up a bunch of limbs and stuff from trees. There was a huge one DH picked up this morning in the drive way. He went to a Men's breakfast. I had my Cheerios :)!! Thank YouGod for the RAIN no matter how little it is. We'll take it.

Julie - those wheeled walkers with seats are wondeful. A friend of ours with neuropathy uses it and it is great. If he goes to a buffet he can get his own food or he can sit doewn if he gets really tired. I have seen so many using them.

Have to run now get dressed and try to do some branch pickup before DH gets home, if has stopped raining.

Try and slow down a bit Julie you too Spring :)!!

Love to you and awl,

13. springwater

Peeking in. Yesterday we had around eleven people over. had called more but
    five didnt turn up due to this and that. Mostly party fatigue im thinking. this
    community has too many gatherings.

I was barely coping with the cleaning of the whole house so cooking was
    out of question and had to call in a caterer. not enuogh room in living
    room for 22 people which i thought would be all of us so had to call
    my own family (bros, their families) today. but good thing is lots of
    food left over and i just have to make alittle extra of a meat item

aunt and the others are superactive women with (apparently) no health
    issues touch wood and they cook for dozens themselves, and keep the
    house clean so i knew it must have caused them some comment that i
    had in people to do my stuff. but i am beyond caring. this broken
    body cannot do more than it can. as it is i wasclose to tears when
    cleanng out piles of dust out of the tops of curtain boxes n whatnot
    behind cabinets, ooof, all that lifting and shifting and climbing.

But thanking God one obligatory dinner is over and done with.

will be back again after. the caterer guy is over to collect his

God Bless

[This Message was Edited on 08/25/2011]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/25/2011]
  14. Granniluvsu

and all the work involved with it. Hope you get a chance to rest a bit now. I know you are relieved.

I sit here at my computer in my jammies while DH is golfing. He finally bit the bullet and canceled our golf membership. He really wasn't playing enough for what he had to pay after figuring it out. Now in these financially hard time, we are cutting back as many are. DH had said however, we will probably spend that money, at least some of it in different ways for us. He wasn't even playing 18 holes much any more and maybe only two 9 holes a week.

Hoping all on the east coast of the U.S. will be safe as Hurricane Irene bears down. Know alot about hurricanes since we moved to TX and close to the gulf. It is NOT fun except maybe for the kids who may be off from school. Saw our neightbors 400 yr. old tree get blown over. Thank God it fell towards the golf course and not our or neighbors house. The next to largest the people removing it had ever seen, in Hurrfcane IKE.. Those on the gulf and close to Galveston really got hit and many lost their homes.

Bye for now Need to go get dressed and wait for DH . Then we have to go work out again - ugh, go to the bank and get the hugs tree branch still on the garage roof from the wind and rain storm on Wed.

Love to everydobby,

15. Granniluvsu

Just wanted to say hope all goes well for anyone living on the East Coast and bracing for Hurricane Irene. Hope all goes well for those staying and not to much damage or injury to those living there. Glad I went to see my brother and family a few weeks ago on Long Island.

Prayers go out to everyone in the path of Irene.

16. wildflowers23

wildflowers23 Member

Well, friends with Irene on the way. You just may see me flying over one of your houses !

Roc, I can land at your house as the last stop.

I live 100 miles west of Atlantic City, and an hour north of Philadelphia. My area is to just get the tropical storm. Not looking forward to it.

I went out to Sears this morning getting the last minute things. Water, flash lights, batteries,
    dog food, kerosene lamps and oil.

They were all out of D size batteries! reminds me of the snow storms where bread, milk and toilet paper fly off the shelves.

Of course I should have gotten the lamps and kerosene a few months ago when I was in Lancaster , PA in Amish country.
    Nooooooooo, I said to myself ! DUH-

On the bright side I will be attending my 35th class reunion tomorrow, a pig roast! I am lucky as it is just 20 minutes up the road. I had a class of over 400. Only 68 are signed up.

Flowers to all.......

LEFTYGG Member

springwater i know how you feel. i always crashed after having company. i dont do it anymore but i do miss it.its so expensive here to have a caterer so i never had one. the cleanup was always hard too. i dont care what people think either i know how bad i feel.

georgia my feet are my most painful too. i dont have callouses but they burn and i walk very stiff. i told my dh after he retires i wanted to try some marijuanna to see if it helped pain. i would like to have a day without pain. i saw roseanne barr talking about it on her new reality show.

granni how were you getting the limb off the roof? sounds dangerous.having a golf membership would be my dh dream. he love it. i keep thinking im gonna try it. was very athletic but now im a clutz.

thinkink of you all.love gail

ps moms the same. eating very little. staring in space for hrs.
  18. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Usual story. No pep. I went all last week w/o watering the poor plants. Los
    Angeles is a desert most of the year. We only get rain 2-3 months during the

Wildflowers, come out and visit. Don't have the N-R-G to show you around, but
    you can borrow my Thomas Brothers Guide.

I only went to one class reunion. It was the 35th. The guys all looked alike.
    Middle aged; a little paunchy. Big difference w/ the gals. Some of them looked
    15 years younger than the rest of us. I was kinda surprised. Nobody was braggin'
    about what a big success they had become.

Of course, if you listen to Garrison Keillor, you know Minnesotans are not likely
    to push themselves forward.

Gail, have you tried any of those foot gadgets? Gordon has a plastic foot bath.
    It will keep the water warm. Vibrates too. I guess it is not terribly therapeutic as
    he seldom uses it. I'll have to suggest he might wanna use it as a planter for
    his orchids.

We have lots of epidendrums in bloom. Five of the cacti on the front porch are
    in bud.

Gotta go
    Gentle hugs to all
  19. Granniluvsu

Good luck to you with the storm. I know just how your feel. Let me tell you, Ike was no picnic, a few others either, her in TX.!!

Gotta go watch the Texans football game or part of it with DH. Maybe, just maybe we ill have a fair team this year :)!! I'm sure before Sept. is over we will have one or two hurricanes come through here on the Gulf.

Hugs to awl !!!
  20. springwater

ive watched soccer in a stadium live once or twice here but used to do it all
    the time while in school back in India. really exciting. but i wouldnt now.
    i think ive kind of tired of it. would rather take a walk along a country path
    or soemthing. lol.

Rock - epidendrum sounds more like an internal body organ than a type
    of flower i was thinking, must be so beautiful tho..i notice cacti
    flowers are always so. maybe to make up for their unfriendly spikes.
    hope u get some pep back. im like you right now. past two days running
    around took everything out of me.

Georgia - i hope the foot doctor appointment went well. not much fun
    when these two feet we use so much start acting up. good to know you
    had a lunch out with the girls. i havent done that now for some time.

Gail - im sorry to hear of your mothers condition. just thankful
    she isnt in pain. you arent in hurrican irenes path are you?

Julie - whats happening on the school front. did you go for work
    i guess you too must be feeling some effects of the weather. even
    tho iowa doesnt seem to be on the danger list. my geo isnt too good.
    esp since we studied world geo in grade 10 that was like decades
    back, lol.

all right now memory fails, since i havent tagged on im doing this
    in parts since the fan keeps giving out and closing the pc down.

Teacher -you all right? youre not in the storms path are you. wherever
    you are stay safe.

my legs are feeling like jelly now. the body decided to shut down.
    so im taking this rest. just watching the storms progress on tv
    and reading two books i got from the library.

the sky has darkened altho it is mid afternoon only and its going
    to rain. the weather is heavy and steamy. ugh.

God Bless you all and all our MIAs, Jole, Elaine, Carla, Mr Bill, Mickey,
    Linda, Pippi and all stay safe.

God Bless

[This Message was Edited on 08/28/2011]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2011]