Porchlight #569 is On

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Goatwoman, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Goatwoman

Goatwoman Member

Hope everyone has a good day.

I've left banana bread, tea, and coffee. No calories!

2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hope Grandpa is feeling and doing better and you too. Thanks for the yummy banana bread and tea. Sounds good, even if it is warm here.

Just got back not to long ago from singing at a local Baptist Church's Sr. Groups. We and they all had a good time. Before that they gave us lunch - very nice. Think it all went well.

Julie - I remember you posting on the last volume and am trying to think of what you said. Please excuse , my brain is in fog mode right now :)! Hope little Raine is feeling better and her mommy too.

SW - Hope you are doing OK and that you have found at least a little bit of NRG.

Right now I have the weather channel on and watching the Dallas/Ft. Worth tornadoes and bad weather in that area. Our daughter #4 lives in the Crowley area, not to far from there I think. She said she was OK in her e-mail but that the tornadoes there have been in the area for some time this afternoon. Hope there are no bad injuries or deathes. They did see some flying semi tractor trailor trucks thrown up in the area and then slammed down on the ground. Do not know if people were in them at the time.

Thinking everyone. Hope to get back here soon to post what Elaine sent to me a few weks ago. I wanted to do so during the week and not at the end of the thread.

Actually having a day home tonight. Tomorrow have another practice and d then sing Thursday through Sat. Won't make Easter Sunday due to lots of company coming.

Love to all,

3. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

It's been so long since I've been on the boards. After I found out about MrDad's death, I just had trouble coming back. I just wanted to stop by and say Hello to all and to find out if Granni is doing OK.....such terrible weather in Texas and to find out how Linda is doing.

Hope I can start coming back on occassion. I've missed all of you. Hope Rock is still around.

Best of wishes to you.
  4. Granniluvsu

I'm doing OK more or less !! Those terrible tornadoes are prettie far from here but probably fairly close to one of my daughters. I sent her an e-mail while she was at work and she was OK but said the tornadoes had been around all afternoon - s0me terrible damage but thankfully no deaths they think so far.

There were pictures on the TV from videos that were taken of semi tractor trailers hurled up in the are and came crashing down. They were just being tossed around like toy trucks. We also saw some awful damage to homes. Just awful!!!!! Someone else will be getting these storms tonight most likely. Hope they settle down some.

We were very saddened to to hear about Mrdad. He was one of the bunch of Porchies who was here and made me feel so welcome. He was such a dear person and so funny.

Rock - still comes back every now and then probably depending on how he is feeling, and how his computer is acting ,etc. We still just love having him around whenever he comes back to bolster our spirits even if perhaps his spirits may not be to high at that moment.

Hope he will comed back soon to talk to you too. He will be thrilled to hear from you.

Elaine - has had alot of physical problems and so has been out for some time but still keeps in contact.l She sent me some info which I hope to sent to you and all soon. Have to get myself together to answer some of the questions from other Porchies to Elaine and her answers to them.

We hear from Linda every one and then. I think she is doing OK and Miss Carla too. You can catch her more probably on Face Book. I think she is doing OK as far as I know.

Please do come back more often we have more new Porchies and a few older ones too.

Don't know if if you remember Julie but her daughter Lindsey is going to have TWINS, I forget exactly when. She has been VERY busy doing for a everyone., as always.

Hope to hear from you soon. We need to catch up . Seems like you have been gone for some time. Missed you and others too who have skipped out and got busdy doing other things or not feeling well, and busy , etc.

Thanks for dropping by 1sweetie. We still love you. Hope you will get other MIA's to drop by soon. There are so many that we are missing these days.

5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Thanks so much for the warm reply and for letting me know that you are OK. I'm trying to look up some of the older post but things have changed since I was on the board and am having trouble navigating the system. I did find a post that said that Julie's Mom had passed away and I am so very sorry. I will send a special prayer tonight for her and her family to be with them during this sad time and one to thank them for blessing them with twins. She has such an active life. I'm thankful for her that she is able to deal with all the things she has dealt with....both good and bad.

I have missed everyone but I just took a break after MrDad passed. I think I was in shock. Also my son was injured about 15 months ago and it has been quite traumatic for all of us. At the present time we don't have an answer if he will heal or how his life will unveil. He has had to live with us since the accident. It breaks my heart that he endures such pain and can't live the life he wants to live. Live is full of surprises some good some not so good.

I am on Facebook so I can contact Carla but I rarely use it such as posting pictures etc. I'm afraid of for security reasons to use it a lot.

It was good to "talk" to everyone. I will be back in touch.
  6. springwater

springwater Active Member

Georgia - thanks for opening up.

I Sweetie - so good to see you. Pls do drop in whenever you want to. I hope
    your son will heal and heal to complete recovery.

Granni - sometimes its no rain for months and now storms! Glad to know
    your daughter is safe.

Julie - Since theyre twins, they would be a little smaller than normal. And its
    early days yet.

My nephew is on anti TB tablets but theyre taking their own time to have
    effect. im just so scared he will get CFS from all this. Right now he is in the
    middle of what looks like major CFS.

These are the kids supposed to grow up and take charge of their parents
    so we dont hav to look after them anymore and its stressing when the kids
    themselves get so sick. I was always proud both nephew and niece were
    smart in their school work and had great hopes.

Ive made cauliflower curry and mashed it up with a fork like dh asked.
    he said he had something like cauliflower curry 'soup' somewhere so i went ahead.

supposed to go out on an errand now.

take care all

God Bless

7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

How wonderful to hear from you again. I am very sorry to hear about
    your son's accident. That is the worst feeling for a parent. When your
    child is hurting, and you really can't do much about it.

Yes, Granni is right. I am only posting now and then. Just don't have any
    energy. Poor Zippy hasn't been walked for 3 days. My younger brother
    wrote and asked me some questions about family history last week. I
    wrote and said I'd answer when I had some pep.

Fellow porchers, you are in the presence of history. Some 6 or 7 years
    ago, (my mind has turned to Alz Swiss cheese) Sweetie made the first
    post on the first porch thread. If this were an awards show, we would
    give her a pioneer award.

Back soon, I hope.

8. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I was so happy to see your post to me! I've thought of you many times. Thank you for your empathy concerning my situation with my son. I wish I could fix all of us but have learned that we have little control of many of the situations we face. I hope that you soon find the energy to walk Zippy but I bet he loves you anyway.

Thanks for my Pioneer Award. I will always treasure my time on The Porch and all the wonderful people I met that I can now call a friend.

By the way, I am having lots of trouble navigating this new web site. Any hints to how it works anyone?

I have to go now. They are calling for extreme weather here this afternoon....the type they had in Texas yesterday. I must say I'm quite nervous about all of these storms that are happening lately. So off I am to soak and get ready for what I hope is just rain.

Lots of love to you!

9. Granniluvsu

You are making me all worn out reading what youhave been doing today. I can just imagine you running through both houses trying to keep this straight for company. Just wait till those twin get here and get to be toddlers :)!!! You'll be running double time :)!!!! Just try and take it easy some.

Yep, anything you can throw in the crockpot sounds good to me esp when you have such a busy day as that. The only problem is you have to be organized and know whta you are doing in the morning :)!

Went and had my hair done today. DH had the car so I couldn't go shpping and I will have to go tomorrow and then be at churche arly for Good Friday services. Took the ham out of the freezer for Sunday. Can't even think about meals when we have to be aat church so early for practice before the Mass or service. Have to get off now and put on some makeup and get changed. I am getting picked up tonight and will meet with DH after the service.

Hi again to 1sweetie, Rock , Spring and everydobby else.. Hope you are there to read the posts. Hope all are feeling OK, or as well as can be.

Love to everyone,
  10. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I may have been off the boards for a long time but some things just don't change.Julie and Granni are some of the busiest people that I know. I don't understand how you guys do all that you do!!! If you find some extra energy send it to North Carolina.

Good news about the expected storms last night. We did have a thunderstorm and heavy rains but that was all. What a relief! In fact it was the type of storm to take a nap and that is what we did. It felt so good. I had taken a relaxing salt and milk bath before it came. It was like I had taken a sleeping pill. Even after the long nap, I was able to sleep soundly last night. What I don't understand about this disease is that no matter how long you sleep you are exhausted when you wake in the morning. Like Rock I'm exhausted most of the time. I dream of the day that I can carry on like I use to do. I'm sure my family does also.

Along with the fatigue is the cognitive issues but I think I told ya'll about my dog, Rocky. He's 7 yrs. old in May. He developed diabetes several months ago and within a few weeks after that he developed cataracts and went totally blind. After surgery and several thousand $$$ later he can see again but now has developed hip dysplasia and he lost appr. 50 lbs. Excessive weight caused all these problems. I know that many of you have pets that you love so I just wanted to warn you about weight gain in dogs. He is on special food that is also not easy on the pocketbook. Although he is my companion, he means everything to my husband. I think he partially replaced me in his life. My DH or son gives him two shots a day which plays havoic on their sleep schedule. He's also developed severe allergies. He fits in with everyone else here.

DH just got back from the surgeon. He has a hernia that needs to be operated on in a couple of months once his back heals some. He injured it rather severly a few weeks ago. He has had back issues for a long time but he picked up a large, heavy trash can that really hurt it. The surgeon and his neurologist also want him to get a colonoscopy after his back heals also and before the hernia surgery.

Julie and Grannni good luck with all that you must do. Your families are blessed to have you.

LEFTYGG Member

I haven't been on in a while. I've tried to read so I'm up on all the things going on.
    Sweetie. I've never met you. Can't believe you were the first porch poster! So sorry your son was injured.i don't talk about it much but my oldest son overdosed 6 years ago and was as close to death.it was the most terrifying thing I'd ever been thru. As sick as I was I stayed with him everyday for 42 days. I hope your son fully recovers.

Julie I don't know how you do it. Poor Lindsey. If you can get the Amish girls to help you definitely need to.im getting 3 grand babies this summer. All boys.i can't wait but I know it will be exhausting.i only have 1 granddaughter and she's 18.

I'm in Florida right now. The weather has been wonderful.
    Spring water sounds like you're getting a whole new house.thats exciting.i love freshly painted rooms. So clean and peaceful.

Georgia have you been on the new craft site? Lots of knitting projects on there.i think of you when I see them.it has all kinds of DIY things. Fashion recipes party ideas.

Granni it nice you have couples to travel with. We go with my bil and sil a lot.

Rock I hope you start feeling better I know you love walking your dog.

Leah my dh and I talk about same stuff too. I always decide what we eat.haha I wouldn't want someone deciding for me cause some days I just don't want certain things.eating sure takes up a lot of time and money lol.

Well I hope everyone has a peaceful weekend. Love gail
  12. Granniluvsu

Then I or we have to go to WM for some stuff needed for the holiday and beyond. Then off to church this afternoon for Good Friday services and practice for me before.

Gail - How nice to hear from you again. Hope you are doing better.

Julie - glad that Lindsey got a good report for the doctor on the babies, Soirry she fell and that her mouth was hurting. Wasn't quite sure if you said Lorraine fell or Lindsay. There you were granma on the spot with a popsicle:)!!

Our daughter from NC is coming on Tuesday so have to get ready for that too. Thank goodness one more day for me of early practice and singing for the Vigil Mass tomorrow. It is so long !!

Hope David's parents get used to the cold weather. I am the sae way, usually cold so the hot weather isn't to bad for me. I just can't the cold at all.

Sorry but I have to go get dressed before DH come back and need to run out again.

Everyone have a wonderful and blessed Easter ! May pop in later tonight

13. teacher

teacher New Member

I have two college students trying to bake a cake from scratch. The intensity of it all is way too funny!

A third one will be here in about an hour.

They still have muffins and cookies to do AND they want to dye eggs!

Something tells me the eggs will have to wait until tomorrow after church.

I am on Spring Break now, so I'll be able to catch up and catch you up.

I love you!

14. teacher

teacher New Member

....playing hide-and-seek in my house, except one is being a stick and not "seeking"! :(

Oh well. They got a giggle out of it anyway.

15. springwater

Teacher and Gail - so lovely to get updated on you both! been missing
    all of yous.

Gail - that must hav really taken a toll on your health, the episode with
    your son. but its over and the present is here and the future beckons.
    I pray for good things for you and your family. There was a time when i
    wondered if ever a good time would come for my elder brother and younger
    one. Those times when they were both so alcoholic, and all the crap that
    comes with it. Losing what money they had. Getting into mobike accidents
    and us having to go claim them and get them out of the hospital and police
    charges. My SIL cutting her wrist coz she was so fed up of my brother...
    shudder. But that was then, now is now. And while things arent picture
    perfect, theyre a sight better.

Teacher - lol! the idea of college students bumbling around trying to cook!
    that is, if theyre not very good. ive seen my daughter stumbling around,
    trying not to get ingreediments mixed up from the recipe book while cooking.
    and its good entertainment. once she baked a cake which looked like heaven
    and tasted bitter as hell. turns out the books page got turned without her
    knowing and she continued mixing looking at the wrong page. her brothers
    friends for whom she was baking were not amused!

Julie - youre going to have guests again! Davids parents. I m sure they are
    as anxious to see their grandkids born as you all are.

Here too, the weather is acting like a chameleon. Changing from one day to
    the next. It suddenly turned all showery and rained. and my lovely white
    daisies started looking grey because they got drenched and then scorched.

Granni - are the thunderstorms still going on. I was glad of the respite
    from the heat when it rained here. Even tho it did play havoc with the

For how long do you work out? I mean the leg press thing and the walker
    I think i would like to the dumbbells things, to strengthen my arms. they
    are like twigs but my right arm hurts sometimes and feels weak.ihad bought
    dumbells a long long time ago,but as usual its in cold storage and gathering
    rust i assume.

Rock - it was great to see you post again. I know the energy crunch
    thing can be a bummber.Poor Zippy. or is he also out of energy. My HObbes
    is much less active these days. presumably because of the tumours getting
    in his organs way. he limps a bit. but his appetite is voracious, which is worse,
    coz we need to keep his weight down, so he can at least get up and go.

16. springwater

Its been so hectic around here.

The house still messy as heck from the moving things during painting.
    Thought i would be able to restore some order yesterday but things
    most never go according to plan with me.

My SIL (dhs sis who lives in Switzerland) suddenly landed up. turns out
    she came to visit her mum and brother, dhs younger bro as it was her
    daughters summer vacation.

so, had to go visit. the whole crowd was there. dhs uncles wife, all
    her daughters, (four) one daughters toddlers. one daughters step sis.
    in short, a lot of people running thru the house.

my dh chose to get a little high at his golf club and didnt accompany me
    and i let him sleep the beer off and went on my own.son had left early
    since it was his off from volunteering and he joined us only late evening
    at MILs place. dh came after sleeping off his beer 'high'.

whew! im glad thats over.

todays going to be hectic again. my chinese friend has arranged a
    get together lunch for some of us old friends. its at this Japanese
    restaurant and we are all paying our own share.

before that i need to colour my hair again. strands of grey showing.
    i dont hv the time actually, so much to do at home and the pranic
    center lady was a bit miffed because i couldnt volunteer this weekend
    but, i thought i should be careful of not isolating myself due to fatigue.

these are friends i wont keep meeting unless we actually arrange to meet.
    two or three are ones i and chinese friend used to work with in our younger
    days. and the rest are her friends from her Rotary club but whom i got to
    know thru her.

got up and found the lights on just now, they werent there at night so
    happy i am getting to post this before going out.

Take care all

God Bless

17. Granniluvsu

So glad to see Frieda, Spring, Teacher , Julie, 1Sweetie and anyone else I may have missed. Hope dear Elaine is reading this too.

Not much time. I sit here typing in PJ's and need to get dressed and ready for company for dinner. Then the nextr day I get a break and get ready for daughter #3, her DH and DGS. They will be here till next Sat.

So I may not have a lot of time to post but will try in between somehow.

Need to run and get dressed and start working around here - ugh !!

18. Granniluvsu

Didn't get to church today but didnpt expect to since I made it for 3 days in a row and last night was about 3 hours or so. That is the time they bring all the new people into the church. So there is Baptisms, Confirmations, Communion, etc. with a whole bunch of people and the church was very crowded. Luckily we didn't have to look for a spot to sit since I am in the choir. DH was an usher and Eucharistic Minister so he didn't get to sit much, I don't think.

Two daughters and their husbands or SO came for luncheon with 2 grandsons and the one and only granddaughter. It was a nice time eating and chatting. Everyone brought something so it wasn't to hard. Next weekend is our granddaughaters last show I think with the dance team and they march across the stage after all the dancing is over and they say which university they are going to, etc. It is sort of emotional for them and families. We originally had Sat. tickets but had to chanage it Friday when I found out that my other daughter would be coming in and would probably like to see them too. So we switched days to Friday so we can go with our #2 daughter and family, even though we will miss seeing some of the rest of the family. We had a fairly small group for us with 10 coming. My DIL couldnt come but she still made two cakes one for her DH's birthday and the other for daughter #1 whose b - day is tomorrow - 49 years old (OMG) !!

We will go up early next Friday and I was given the task of making potato salad for the before the Spring Show gathering at their house. Gee, I haven't made it in so long I hope I remember how to do so. I used to make a good potato salad but that was some time ago. Oh well, I guess I will try my best again

Julie - Yours small group for dinner sounded like mine used dto be. It was 8 every day all the time. I had to learn how to cook pdq !!!

Sorry your dad is feeling in the pits agin with probable depression from losing his dear one. That is to be expected but then when one is dealing also with alz or dementia it can be even harder for them with strange things happening and going on. Hope he picks up soon.

Hope we have a nice group going on Elaine's bus trip. I will try and pop in and out when I can with having company then leaving. She didn't say when we were all leaving, did she??

Spring - Hope you are feeling better and getting some more NRG with everything happening around you.

Love to all,

19. Granniluvsu

includng this morning. I tried to get on a couple ways and still couldn't get on. I know that wasn't me though that had the problem. I could get onto everything else including Yahoo.

The weather is beautiful, nice and sunny and warm. The painters starting cleaning up the front of the house, pwer wash and all and will probably start painting tomorrow.

Tomorrow probably towards evening my daughter, SIL and grandson will be here. I am guessing that GS will be on the computer unless he gets to use his doads or has one of his own that he can bring. Not sure. He may sleep here in the den to with the pull out bed. His mom and dad will probably be upstairs. GS is 19 and will be graduating this year and also has some learning problems but not as bad as the other two GS's. We will see how the 8 year old turns out. He is much better now and chatters a mile a minute.

Hi Spring - Hope you are starting to get a few things in order, even if just a little at a time. I Hate to see a big mess to even though I don't feel like cleaning it up many times. Also hope you don't crash !

Julie - that will be nice to go see Amy, Clinton and Kiera. I forget when you said you would be going. That will be fun I know. You need a big break sweetie. When those babies come you really will be chasing your tail :)!! Has Lindsey gained any weight and is she eating better. Hope she is taking lots of vitamins.

Rock - Hope you aren't to pooped to participate. Enjoying you lovely west coast weather?

Georgia - How are you doing?. Haven't seen or heard from you since you opened the porch. The next few weeks I probablywont be here to much either.

Teacher - I read your post the other day but can't remember what all you said. Hope to hear from you again soon . How is Baby, is she in schol or what, I have forgotten. Hope she is behaving and you are feeling better, even if only somewhat.

Hugs to everydobby, inc. Elaine, Jole, Joan, and all the MIA's When are we supposed to start this trip anyway Elaine? If soon I wil have to be doing a lot of jumping off and on due to company and then being gone for about 4 days.

Missing you too Gail . So sorry to her about the illness in your family. Forgive me poor memory at the moment.

Love to awl,
  20. Goatwoman

Goatwoman Member

Hope everyone has a good week.

Just finished doing the taxes--yuck. Taxes are like bills--they always come around again.

We are supposed to get more rain this week. The farmers haven't been able to put in crops as it is still too wet. Lots of tilled fields that are empty.

Just have been very busy. Otherwise, all is well. Time seems to go more quickly now that I'm retired.

Hello to All--