PORCHLIGHT #702 IS CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Starting a new thread. I'll come back to edit it to add on but want to get it up.

Love, Mikie

*****************************************************************************************************

Alrighty then, we're up and running. Wish I were up and running but that crack on the head caused a concussion. I only made a quick run to Home Depot with Barb to get our new red mulch and some purple petunias to replace the long leggy and dying Guinnea impatiens in the flower boxes. The man at HD assured me that the petunias will make it through the summer heat. I'm skeptical but willing to give it a go for $4.36. If they do die, HD will refund the money. I was OK to drive but have had a headache and decided not to do anything else today. Barb and I sat out on the Balcony for a good part of the day and had lots of visitors.

There were some obnoxious young couples in our pool yesterday, drinking and putting out their cigarettes on the edge of the pool. They were using filthy language and being very loud and boisterous. One big man, who is on the board, and the lady board president told them to knock it off. When they left, they partied until 4:00 this morning. I don't know why the people in that bldg. were afraid to call the sheriff but I called a friend who lives in that bldg. and told her to call if they party hardy tonight. They were at it at the pool again this afternoon so the president called their parents, who live in Conn., and told them what their kids were up to and that if it didn't stop, we would be calling the sheriff. Within a few minutes, the father must have called the kids on their cell phone and the noise at the pool stopped dead. These are grown kids and their parents have no idea how awful they are acting. They will be getting a letter from the mgmt. co and if the kids caused any damage at the pool, the parents will be billed for it. I feel so good that we took care of this. People come here and act like frat boys on Spring Break with no respect for the people who live here. We don't have to put up with that. :mad:

Other than that, nothing new to talk about. Just hope I feel better tomorrow as I still have lots of plants to pot, weeds to spray, bushes to trim, fronds and branches to cut back on the trees, and mulch to spread. Oy! :eek: Or as Rock would say, "Uff da!" Rock, don't know whether I spelt that correctly. I heard someone use that phrase on the new series on FX, "Fargo." It's a different true story told in the same style as the original movie.

Julie, I'm concerned about that stomach thing going around. Geez! A year ago last Thanksgiving, I went to Atlanta to see my kids. We all got that stomach thing and would think we were OK and, suddenly, we would get a wave of feeling out of it and had stomach symptoms. It lasted for a couple of months after I came home. I would be OK for days at a time and out of the blue, the symptoms would return. I hope and pray you get well. I actually do shop for things I don't really need but want; however, most of it is for practical things. I refuse to pay retail for most anything anymore. Regular gas is up to $3.889 and I was really glad to have my gas card which saved me 20 percent. As it was, it took $50 worth of gas to fill up slightly more than half a tank. I'm so glad I don't have to drive much. I'm also so glad I have the SUV to haul things like the big bags of mulch. A really sweet guy loaded it in the back for me so I tipped him $5. I only had a $20 and had to go inside to get change. The cashier didn't want to open the drawer to give me change. I was about to ask for the mgr. but I think something in my eyes told her that she should just accommodate my request. Geez! We've bought all our landscaping from them.

Granni, I hope the performance went well. Hoping you and DH are doing OK too. Stop back in when you have more time to let us know how things are going.

I need to go back to #701 to see if I missed anyone. My short-term memory is shot and my long-term memory isn't doing that well either. I hope more of our Porchies stop in. I wish y'all could stop in to visit us on the Balcony. As it is, I'll be hitting the hay early to rest my poor abused pea brain.

Love, Mikie
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Hi Mikie - Sorry the other bump on your noggin seems t have caused a concussion. Hope your memory picks up due to the bumps on your head and face. Mine isn't always so great either. I feel so stupid standing by the cupboard or refrig. trying to remember what the heck I wanted I the first place. Hopefully, rest will help your brain back in sinc again.

About how old were those grown up kids that were acting stupid at the pool? Glad they were turned in and parent called. If they were in their 20's or so they surely should have known better. That is rally a shame that they were acting that way. Hope if they did come back to the pool they acted much better, day or night.

Thanks for starting us up again.

DS slept for 14 hours after getting to the hotel I think he tried to stay up some. I told him to go to sleep or at least take a nap but not sure he was listening to me or his body :)!! H is now busy taking pictures. He went to see the PETRONAS Towers for one thing. He sent a few pics to his wife and she is sending a few to FB. There must be so much to see there On Monday I am not sure he will have much time to be a tourist as I know there will e so work to do in the office but not sure if much will be accomplished , at least I the first few days.

That was nice of Home Depot to offer to give you your money back if they don't make it. Hope they do ! I don't have the greenish thumb around:)!!

The performance was pretty good considering it was warm out and we were competing with other things in the square. One of the men in charge sad they may do it next year inside the small historical theatre on the stage. If h do that it will be worth it. We did 3 shows with 15 or 20 minute breaks in between.

Well, time for beddy bye and getting tired of fighting with these letters. Taking too long.

Hope everyone had a good enough day today !!!

Love,
    Granni :)
  3. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mikie...glad to see the new porch up and running. I'm sorry about your concussion...

Good to show those "kids" that they can't get away with things...funny, it makes me think of when I used to tell my kids that I would always know what they were doing when they weren't with me, cause I had "eyes" all over town.

Granni, I'm glad you made it through your performances...wish I could see you guys sometime. So nice that your son made it fine and got caught up on his sleep.

After a rocky start to my day (got up early, but had to lay down for an hour after breakfast) I did manage to stay up the rest of the day. I went to one of the Amish stores and bought some probiotics, as well as more activated charcoal and enzymes. Still have cramps off and on, but they didn't double me over as bad today.

Lindsey almost convinced Amy and Keira to come today, but Amy wasn't feeling well. As a matter of fact, she said that Clinton spent all day with Keira so Amy could rest. Truthfully, I really wasn't up to "hosting" anyone, but Lindsey was even getting their guest room ready so Amy and Keira could stay there tonight.

We ended up eating with the kids who were here...David grilled hot dogs and bought stuff for s'mores. I had bought a peach pie and we combined our fruits to make a fruit salad.

I dragged all my plant potting supplies over by the playpen fence and got quite a few flowers put in hanging baskets (with Lorraine's help, of course.) Just before dark (and ahead of the rain) I planted the two rhubarb plants and cherry tomato that I had gotten yesterday.

Lindsey and the kids picked up and raked the play area, then she took them inside while I mowed with the push mower.

So, a pretty productive day, but I felt like I was going at "half throttle" most of the time. Den tilled the other garden for me (since the first one is nearly full of strawberry plants, lol) but I didn't get anything planted yet. The tricky part will be finding time to hoe and take care of the garden...now the weeds will grow like...well, weeds!

The Amish neighbor who makes homemade yogurt from goat's milk for Lindsey had some extra, so she and Lindsey took it to my house while I was still outside. I think that would have to be pretty good for my tummy troubles too, so will make sure to eat some every day. I did skip the s'mores because of the chocolate, but took a chance with the hot dogs.

Mikie, I remember how sick you and your family were...oh, I hope this doesn't turn into something like that again. I think this is the fourth time I have had some sort of stomach/intestinal stuff since last fall. Enough, already, lol!

I did check on my dad and he is still doing fine...

Den and I sort of crashed on the couch in front of the TV this evening. He had his Jeep Liberty up on the car lift for several hours today...I forget what he was replacing underneath. But doing that, tilling, and helping chase kids did him in too...

Guess I'd better head to bed...I feel like I will probably fall right to sleep...might not even wake myself up snoring :D

Thinking of you all, especially the ones going through extra rough patches right now...hang in there.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Morning, Porchies,

Granni, that was quite a performance, or should I say, performances! Bet you're glad it's over but then, I imagine how fulfilling it is to give so much of oneself for the pure pleasure of others. Good for you!!! I never knew that HD and Lowe's will guarantee their flowers for a year, even if one kills them with kindness or neglect, eitherr. Wish I had known that when my last orchid died. Now, I know enough to get it out of the soil it came in and put it in an orchid pot with bark for soil. It's sooooo beautiful. Barb's has two branches of the most beautiful purple blooms, her favorite color.

Julie, I pray your stomach bug goes away and stops coming back. Mine eventually did and the good days increased as time went on. It just flummoxed me that it would come back, even for just a wee bit weeks afterward. We are seeing some strange viruses. Decades ago, when I had viral meningitis, I read an article that with the ozone layer diminishing, the increase in UV light would cause viruses to mutate into new illnesses we had never seen before. The prediction has come true. I'm sure the climate change and greenhouse effect isn't helping either. Hope the yogurt and probiotics help.

Well, those horrid kids woke me at 3:30 this morning because they had gone out drinking until 3:00 and decided it was a good time to take a dunk in the pool. They drink so much that they make a LOT of noise. I called the sheriff's office and they sent two squad cars. The kids ran to their condo with the cars hot on their tail. I called my friend in the condo next door to them because I knew they had woken her. She was glad I had called the sheriff. I called the owners of the condo between 3:30 and 4:00 up in Conn. but they didn't answer either their house phone nor their cell phone. I left messages on both phones that we had called the sheriff. They were warned yesterday that if the kids caused any more problems, we would be calling the sheriff. The owners just spent $20,000 redoing their condo. I told them in the message that I hoped the kids weren't making as big a mess in their condo as they did at the pool. The neighbor next to them is sending a registered letter of complaint and, I'm sure, our mgmt. co. will be sending one as well. We can also ban them from using the pool. I think we should and if they return, we ought to file trespassing charges. I'm not usually so hard assed but these kids show no respect for anyone.

My memory is much better and the headache appears to be gone. I don't think this concussion was as bad as the ones coming at my head from the side. This was just a bad bang on the top. In any case, I think I'll feel well enough to do some yard work/repotting but won't overdo things. I just decided to check my inside A/C air handler and the paper filter was really dirty and it's not quite a month old. I've had the doors open and the breezes blow in dust and pollen. AACK! I changed the filter right away. I need to fire up my big electronic electrostatic air cleaner.

I hope everyone got a better night's rest than I did. At least, I went to bed early last evening. I'd like to stay awake long enough to watch some good shows on TV tonight. There are so many, I have to watch some on On Demand. If I take a nap, perhaps I'll stay awake tonight. Think I'll go eat a second breakfast since I ate the first one so early. I fogot to check Simon so if he came, he missed his breakfast. He usually doesn't come on Sun. mornings because the sprinklers are soaking everything.

Wishing everyone a great day.

Love, Mikie
  5. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Good morning, friends! I slept till almost 9:00 am...took a probiotic and ate some yogurt right away...waiting a bit to have some coffee. I think I will hop in the shower, then go to town to run errands (including groceries) and check on my dad. My stomach just feels very tender (inside and out...weird, huh?) so I will be careful with what I eat. I know coffee probably isn't the best thing, but...

Mikie, I would have been so mad at those kids! Glad you called the Sheriff and they responded right away. I can imagine what the inside of the condo must look like...with all the partying and carrying on, I doubt they have taken time to pick up after themselves.

Do the owners not live there very much/often? It must just be a winter home for them, so they let family stay at other times? I don't know much about condo life, obviously, lol!

I am planning a "summer getaway" for me and the grands (doubt Gpa Den would be too thrilled to join us.) We have a big conversion van that we haven't driven in years. Den is going to pull it out of the fence row for me and we will take all the seats out, except for the back seat (which folds out into a bed.)

It also has a little table that sits on a pedestal you place in the floor and we can use smaller child-size chairs. What we will have is a sort of pretend motor home to "drive" anywhere we choose. Of course, it needs to be close enough to the house to take advantage of electricity, running water (from a hose), you know...things Gma can't live without ;)

The kids are small enough that they can actually run around in there as though it was a real mobile home, lol!

I guess I'd better go over and supervise at the kids house. David is at work, Lindsey is trying to get kids out the door to church and Gpa is trying to get the kitchen sealed off so he can cut holes for the stairway. Craziness, I tell ya!

I am trying to avoid any stress or "hurrying around" as it seems to make my tummy flare up...good luck with that, right :rolleyes:
  6. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Mikie: good for you for calling the sheriff. Even teenagers have to be aware of their behavior....and even worse for older ones. Doesn't your pool have hours posted? It's inconceivable that their parents wouldn't know what their kids are like. $20 grand is a lot to spend and then give the keys to someone else. My SIL little company owns several vacation homes, one right down near the beach in San Clemente, but everyone who uses it is very respectful of the neighbors since most of them live full time and it's very close to other homes. My DD has house rules posted which must be followed by everyone who stays there otherwise they won't be allowed any further use.

Julie: A camper/motor home vacation! Got any ideas where and when? When our kids were young I bought a 20' trailer, sight unseen by my husband. Won't go into all that was wrong with this "bargain", but we did have to spend 2 full days and nights in Albuerqerque, N.M. (boy I will never know how to spell that) while we had new brakes put on. We couldn't figure out why all the NOISE when we drove thru small towns......a clunk clunk clunk. God was certainly will us traveling the mountain passes before getting brakes.

friday went better for me....at least I had energy all day until evening. I picked up my little granddaughter at kindergarten, stopped to get her lunch at subway (I don't visit fast food places often and this was her favorite) then we painted tiles for Mother's Day present (I'll get it fired this week) then the library and ice cream, came home and she watched some movies.

I spent yesterday doing cleanup (everywhere is dusty) and bought some RubnBuff (silver) to rub onto the metal around my sliding mirror doors. They are so old and GOLD color. Finished them up today and wow, what a difference it has made. I've used this product on this and that forever. I wasn't sure how the metal would take since the directions said to use on porous items. I've got a gold color frame hanging in the bedroom so will tackle that next. My handyman swung by a lumber yard friday and bought the baseboards (16' ea) so I will be painting them tomorrow and he can install when all this tile work is completed. One day at a time and things will eventually be done.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  7. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Hi Sun and everyone! Glad you could function and do the things you wanted/needed to. Those tiles sound wonderful for a Mother's Day gift! We have Den's Mom's kiln, but it hasn't been used since before she passed away in 2007...she used to do lots of ceramics. Lindsey wanted Gma's kiln and hopes to do some ceramic or glass work...when her life calms down a bit, lol!

Since our trips will be pretend ones...gonna just park the van and set up a sort of campground/play area right in the backyard...the sky's the limit on where we will go :) It may just be me and the older girls...the twins probably won't understand the concept yet...

I helped Den get the new stairway hole started...he wanted to see how much mess his saw would make, even with a hose and vacuum attached to it. Pretty big mess, I would say, but he is trying to be so careful and not tear up Lindsey's kitchen too badly. Hard to remodel when a family with small children is living there, but we survived ourselves and I imagine the kids will too...their choice to stay here, so that is part of it.

I texted Lindsey and told her to come to my house after church and we just had lunch here. She and the twins went back over for naps, so Lorraine is hanging out with Gma...Gpa is napping too :p

I am going to still try to get to town later this afternoon...haven't seen my dad in over a week...just wanted to make sure I wouldn't take any bugs back to the nursing home. My stomach is doing better today...none of the real severe pains...just that "tenderness."

Sun, so glad you are getting things done at your house. I have accepted the fact that we may still be in the shop a couple more years...would like to get the "shell" of the new house up by winter, at least. But "life", family, etc...is a priority right now...I have a roof over my head, running water, A/C and heat when I need them. Not a big deal, in the great scheme of things, whether we are in a new house or the one we live in right now.

Just hope our kids remember what we have done for them...if not, I will sure be reminding them years from now ;)

Better get a few things done, then shower and head to town. Take care, everyone!
  8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Julie - You are trying to do without stress- isn't there some of that all the time, except when you are sleeping ?? That is a cute idea of the mobile home with your old van. Does it even run ??? Keira and Lorraine will probably enjoy it regardless. You are right about the twins and then the new little one. Have they thought of any names yet? I know they do not know the sex yet of the new little one. You are wearing me out talking about all you are doing and have to do.

Mikie - I can't believe those dopey kids were back there at he pool making so such noise in the early mornings? I do not even want to think of what their condo looks like. Glad the sheriff was called and that they came out. I can't believe so o these stupid kids. Probably spoiled and get what they want and the parent don't care just not to bother them. GRRR I can't believe some of the disrespect and disregard for others and their property by some of these young ones nowadays. Guess they have always been given stuff no matter what and how they took care of it..

Sun - I know you will be so happy when everything I al doe at your house. Renovations are always a mess but looks so nice when all finished. Hope your DH is feeling better too and that he doesn't mind the mess to much and noise if thee is any.

Hi al o Rock, Jam Jole,, Diane, Spring Water, and all Lurkers and MIA's.

Have few tings to get ready for dinner. Steaks on the grill if it is not raining out. There are supposed to be some strong storms north of us . We might get some rain but not sure. We do need the rain but after we cook the steaks :)!

Love to everydobby,
  9. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Hi Granni! We are just now getting those storms, lol! I am ready to go to town, but don't want to get out in this thunderstorm if I don't have to. I can wait till it eases up a bit.

No, the van doesn't run...Den will have to tow it over to the "camp" area for me. At one time, we were going to put a diesel engine in it and donate it to the ministry in Belize. Someone from there was going to come up here and drive it down...but I think everyone lost interest and other things became a priority.

Hope you get to have your grilled steaks...everything seems to taste so much better that way, to me, at least. David grilled the last two nights and they usually ask us is we have anything we want him to cook at the same time.

Rain has calmed down a bit now, so I am gonna high-tail it while I can, lol! Hi to everyone!
  10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Hi Julie ! Hope the rain calmed down for good so you could do whatever it was you needed to do out in the bad weather. We didn't get any rain at all today. So we had our steaks on the grill tonight.

I 'm debating on whether to wash my hair or not. I probably won't since it is a bit late and I am to lazy. Also watched a bit of the Canonization of the 2 popes this evening which took up a bit more of my time. I am just to tired to worry about my hair and I don't need to go anywhere tomorrow that I have to worry about it.-LOL. I just to worry about looking at myself I the mirror --aack ! I probably have my hair sticking up al over y head tomorrow.

Gotta run for now.

Love,
    Granni
  11. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! Wanted you all to see the pic of my daddy and me...this is at the nursing home where he lives, at supper this evening. The wife of one of his table companions took it for me. Dad gets to sit right next to the aviary...he loves this location. I'll catch up with you all in the morning...we had a doozy of a storm earlier, and I think another one is blowing through right now.

[​IMG]
    paulac7 likes this.
  12. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Oh dear! These storms have really affected our sleep...Den and I were both wide awake till just a little bit ago. Now he is finally snoring...he's on call, so that makes it harder for him to relax and get to sleep anyway...

It's 3:00 am, and here I sit, lol! I will sure be sorry when the alarm goes off at 6:30...wanted to spend the day at Lindsey's, helping her get things out of the way for more demolition.

I feel bad for those who have FM, if the weather makes their pain so much worse...I do have aches in my joints and some muscles, but I don't think it is anything like what some of you must deal with.

Guess I'll just see how the rest of the night goes, and deal with it accordingly...
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, everyone. Well, we decided to ban those kids from using the pool and tennis courts. We posted a notice on their door and the pool gate. It mentioned if they entered either, we would be pressing trespassing charges which might necessitate a later trip back to FL for a court date. We saw nor heard hide nor hair of them yesterday. One of the kids, a daughter, and co-owner with her father, left a very contrite message on my phone stating that we would have no more trouble with them.

About 1/3 to 1/2 of our residents are year round residents, like me. The rest come down during the winter months and head North about this time of year. When we have trouble, it's almost always the kids and/or grandkids of the Snowbirds who come down to use their parents' or grandparents' condo. We have rules posted all over the pool area and even have a "No Swimming After Dark" sign right on the gate. Still, I end up going down to throw people out of the pool. I didn't go down Sat. night because there were seven of them who had been drinking for at least two days. I just called the sheriff and let the two squad cars chase the kids down to their condo. I say kids but they are, at least, in their 20's, if not their 30's.

People come here after long cold winters up North and act as though they've never seen a swimming pool before. Our pool isn't far from some of our condo bldgs. and common sense would dictate that they keep the noise down. Some of them actually camp out at one of the umbrella tables and bring in lunch so they don't have to leave. The parents sit there while the little ones scream and shriek and try to drown each other. We are very close to the beach but it costs to park there and a lot of these people are on a tight budget, using the condo for free. It's a headache we have every spring and summer.

Julie, very nice pic of you with your DD. I keep you in my prayers that he stomach bug goes away and stays away. I think your little camping adventure sounds like fun. On rainy days, when my kids were small, I would put a quilt on the living room floor and we would sit on it and have a picnic. We used our imaginations to describe the "stream running next to us" or the "big trees." The kids loved it because it could be any imaginary place they wanted it to be.

Sunflower Girl, painting tiles for Mothers Day sounds perfect. I'm so glad you felt well. One thing about us is that we really appreciate what others might see as a normal day. I love the idea of sprucing up what one has. Changing from gold to silver will really update the doors. We have hard water here and the folks who lived here for three years never cleaned the water stains off the clear glass shower doors. I went to Lowe's to pick out some new doors and saw some that were frosted with a modern flower design along the bottom. They were $200, a lot of money back then. I copied the design and bought some of that sticky shelfcover plastic roll and cut the design out of it. I put it on the doors and took them outside and sprayed them with an etching paint which frosted them. Then, I pealed off the plastic to reveal the design. They still look good and I saved money, just like you.

Granni, my hair is sticking out on my head too. I was going to wash it yesterday but realized I had plants to pot out in the heat of the day. No sense shampooing what will be a sweaty mess in a few minutes. It got up to 92 on Sat. This is going to be one of those springs where it goes from mild to 90's overnight. It takes me at least a month to acclimate when it does that. I was so exhausted after being awakened yesterday morning at 3:30 that I had to come in in the afternoon heat to take a nap. Soooo, I'll be coloring my hair and hopping into the shower this morning. I still have some palm tree fronds to cut down but that's not dirty work. One day this week, I have to put on my grubbies and spread the new mulch.

People in our bldg. are either renters or too old to help me or simply don't care. They like the looks of our landscaping but won't even take a broom to sweep in front of their doors. Barb and I sweep the Balcony area and keep it clean. One single teacher in her 40's never sweeps in front of her door and it looks like Morticia's door with all the cobwebs. She called me to complain about having ants in her unit and I told her unless she cleaned outside her door, she would continue to have them. I told her she was giving them a smorgasbord of trapped insects in those cobwebs. Well, there is no shaming her and she still doesn't clean. We have a guy who sprays for insects every three months but there is only so much he can do if she continues to be so dirty. She is personally clean and the inside of her condo is clean. I guess she pays her dues and thinks the outside should be taken care of. We could pay someone to come and sweep but it would mean increasing dues. People would have a fit!

For some reason, I woke at 3:00 today. I hope yesterday hasn't set my sleep schedule off. Simon isn't here yet. I just walked outside and all our plants are doing well. It's humid already. I'll have to get the fronds cut down before it gets so gawd awful hot.

Where is Rock and out other MIA's? I hope everyone is OK. Have a blessed day.

Love, Mikie
  14. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Just woke up. Called the black and white kitty. It appeared promptly. It feels secure so
    long as it doesn't get closer than about 20 feet. Gave it some kibble and some tuna. Will
    buy some canned food for it next time at the market.

We finally got all the stuff outta the storage site. Now the garage and the house are
    overflowing with stuff we don't need. Uff-da! The computer monitor konked out. I
    think I bought it about 4 years ago. We got a used but free replacement from Gordon's
    old employer. They have lots of spare equipment as business is slow. Dozens of
    employees laid off and some branch offices closed. Gordon will have to install the
    monitor. Too tricky for me. And I'm so clumsy nowadays I'd probably drop it anyway.

Julie, that's a great picture of you and your dad. Makes me feel cheerful just to look at
    it. I bet the kids will enjoy the trips in the van. When I was a kid we would sometimes
    sit in the family auto and visit pretend venues. Sometimes we would walk a block to
    Mr. Chase's house. Mr. Chase was in his 80s. Lived alone. Still chopped wood for his
    stove. He had an old Model A or T that was perpetually parked under a tree. We took
    lots of trips in it too.

In the 1970s I lived in a suburb of LA. One of the city parks had an old fire engine as well
    as the usual park equipment. My son and I always spent some time on that.

Isn't it a shame, Mikie, that so many young people have gone H-E- double hockey sticks?
    I saw a comment on the news. Somebody posted H-E- double hockey pucks. Don't
    know if that was a joke of just someone who didn't get the concept. Amused me anyhoo.
    (Betty White used to say that on Golden Girls.)

What do you mean, your hair is sticking outta your head? Isn't that where it's supposed to
    be? Ha Ha! Every now and then Gordon suggests we dye my hair: Orange! Then I am
    forced to ask if he's had a bump to the head lately. This kind of sparkling dialog goes on
    all the time around the ranch.

Steaks on the grill sound good, Granni. I was walking through the living room yesterday.
    Gordon was watching one of those programs where they explain how stuff was made. I
    guess they were in a peanut butter factory. Anyone one of the workers said a pound of
    peanuts had more protein than a pound of steak. Well, that's why peanut butter was
    invented. A way to provide the poor with low cost protein.

BTW, I was listening to a broadcast of a Jack Benny program. Announced Don Wilson
    pronounced "protein" with three syllables. Maybe the word was new back then.

Sunflower Girl, I love the name Rubnbuff. I guess it would work as Buffnrub too. What
    kind of doors are you talking about? Shower doors. You're right. "Albuquerque" is a
    treacherous word to spell. I used to live there, but at the time I couldn't spell anything. It
    was during WW II, and I was a preschooler. My mom lived with friends there for a while.
    My dad was in the army.

My memories are sporadic and few. I recall dogs lying in the street during the heat of the
    day. I wondered if they were dead. And we had a strange structure that looked like an
    igloo in the backyard. I was told it was an oven, but how could that be? It didn't look
    anything like the oven in the kitchen. And there was a shop we visited a few times.
    There was a large glass panel in the floor with a railing around it. You could look down
    and see the "Indians" making jewelry. For many years I had a turquoise ring as a
    souvenir of our trip. (Took 3 tires to spell "souvenir". This post is exhaustenizing.)

Hugs to friends, present and absent: Jam, Barry, Springwater, Diane, et. al.

Cheers
    Rock
  15. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Good Sunny morning! I haven't been outside to see if we had any damage, but from pictures posted on facebook and on the news, it seems there were quite a few storms in our area and all over the country.

Finally got to sleep sometime after 5:00, so just getting up after 10:00...not how I planned today, but will work with it and go on...

My brother from Texas called, just as someone was placing two adorable little puppies in my lap at church (aren't dreams funny sometimes, LOL) and I woke up quickly, thinking something might be wrong with Sis-in-law. They were at the hospital/clinic as she was having whole body scans to see how the chemo is doing.

I talked to them the day before Easter and she had just had chemo the day before that. Apparently, she ended up in the ER twice that next week...once she couldn't stand up and the other time she was "out of it" according to her coworkers.

Brother said the doc gave her an anti-nausea pill and she has been doing better than ever since starting chemo. I am praying they get good results from today's tests...I think she has a doctor appt. on Tuesday.

Rock, glad your kitty came to dine. Oh wow; so no storage shed, but now your house and garage are full again...sounds like how I have been living the past few years...just moving stuff back and forth...mine and other people's :confused:

Mikie, love how you saved the shower doors! Hope you are doing okay. My stomach has been doing better...I've probably eaten things I really shouldn't yet, but I still haven't had the bad pains for a couple days. I think the yogurt and probiotics might b doing the trick...the yogurt is more like kefir, so I just pour a glass and drink it. I may have to have our neighbor start making some just for me :)

Am going to have some coffee and head over to Lindsey's...naptime for the twins means whatever we are doing will have to stop for a couple hours...I'm not a lot of help when I don't even get there till lunchtime, lol!

Amy, Clinton and Keira will be here off and on this weekend. Amy and Keira may actually come Thursday night, then on Friday Amy will take Keira to her dad's while she goes to her friend's wedding rehearsal. The wedding is Saturday afternoon (I will pick Keira up from her dad's long enough for the wedding...Lindsey will drive her kids.) The bride is one of my "other daughters"...she and Amy have been friends since preschool.

Sunday is Amy's birthday (29) so we will have a combined birthday/Mother's Day lunch here, and hope to get the great-grandpas out also. I was ordered to not cook, so the kids want to just get pizzas, etc. and come back here after church. Amy can get Keira back from her dad's around noon, so she can join the celebration.

Well, I'd better get going...Hi to everyone!
  16. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Almost good afternoon to awl!

It has been busy already this morning. So, now I am taking a long break :)!! Went to work out early, just treadmill for me and that leg pushy thing. DH got a charley horse I his one calf muscle so he only did 3/4 of a mile. Then we came home and I changed cloths go out and do about 1/2 hour of weeding. We have so much crap all over and I am almost afraid to touch anything, even with gloves, after my past poison ivy/ or whenever poison plant incidences . It is already warm here lately. I think it is supposed to be a bit cooler tomorrow, we will see.

Julie - That is my idea of a great Mother's Day/ b day diner - Pizza. It I so easy and so yummy. To me I keep saying that pizza is a food group :)!! Are they making it from scratch? Do they have delivery where you live? I love the kind in the what we used to call pizza parlors but now they are mostly chains where we are. However, we shop at Sams and they make their own and also sell wonderful frozen ones, like Di Giornos with all kinds toppings. Sometimes I even add some of my own. Great stuff !!!!! Getting hungry thinking about it. We used to have a Double Daves pizza really close to us that had a great buffet too but unfortunately they moved. So many stores and restaurants closing in some areas, very sad.

Hope everyone has fun at Amy's 29th b day party and/ Mothers day celebration. When the twins nap will Lorraine lie down and red a book or something quiet? That is great if they will do that, even if it is look at a carton or DVD :)!! At least they are quiet for a little rest time. I know mommy Lindsay needs her rest to. Glad your tummy seems to be doing some better.

Hope your SIL does or did well on the chemo. Gad the anti nausea pills are helping too.. Glad you didn't have any damage due to the storms. In some areas in OK and other states had terrible damage. We are supposed to go visit cousins I Joplin, MO in My and DHis so afraid of traveling with those tornadoes around. It I either that or our Hurricanes. A few years ago Joplin had a terrible tornado and wrecked some of their homes and town, very bad when thy were supposed to come here I think or visa versa.. Those storms are just heart breaking,

Hi to everydobby not mentioned. I must have missed Mikie's post about her shower door.

Will try and get back later.

Love,
  17. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

P.S. - I didn't know whether to edit the last post or write another.

Julie - That pic of your dad and you is just beautiful. You both look absolutely wonderful . I saw it on FB too. Gad you posted to to PH CC also

Mikie - Speaking of shower glass enclosures. We were planning on changing it out old gold shower door frames to brushed nickel or something similar. I also want to try and find the kind that you cannot see the hard water spots so bad, like you mentioned. I am tired of squeegeeing it after my shower every day. If you were here you could help me put a design on it but I am not going to bother. I would love a water softener but DH says NO GO. He is so against getting one and spending more money. We will go to Home Depot for the enclosure and hope nothing else happens so we can't get it.

Sun - Hope all is going well with your projects and your DH is doing at least as well as expected.

Love to Dar, Rock, Dane, Jole SW et al,
    Granni
  18. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

News flash. Paul Simon (of Simon and Garfunkel) and his wife were charged with
    domestic violence after a dispute in their Connecticut home. I find it hard to believe
    it was anything serious.

Anyhoo, someone commenting on the news posted this brilliant parody which I
    wanted to share with you.

"Hello officer, my old friend
    you came to haul me to jail once again
    Because she pounced on me while I was sleeping
    I laid my hand on her and started tweeting
    And the slap she planted on my brain
    still remains
    broke the sound of silence.

In a restless cell I sit alone
    Bars around me and cobblestone
    No Ipad so I can't tweet
    I'm barely naked and have cold feet
    the judge asked if it was a fight
    My eyes shined like a neon light
    and touched a sound of silence."

Isn't that great?! The last time I heard a live performance of a Simon and Garfunkel
    song was about 20 years ago in Pasadena. America's great mezzo soprano Marilyn
    Horne gave a concert. For an encore she sang "Bridge Over Troubled Water".

Rock
  19. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Sorry to read that about Paul Simon. Not going to judge....no one can judge a marriage relationship until we've walked a mile in someone else's shoes. Of course, media loves to blow things way up. I know he was married to Carrie Fisher and we all know about HER troubles, stemming from mom and dad.

Julie: a wonderful pic. of you and dad. You look a lot like him, same smile and eyes. I know he has alzheimers troubles but at least he's still gentle and recognizes you. Enjoy him as much as you can. My mom has been gone since 2007 also. I think sometimes what I would want to tell her if I saw her again. I saw if because we know we will meet again in Heaven, but may not remember a lot of "junk" we went thru down here.

Love the concept of a pretend trip, something I've done quite a lot when our children were small.......hey....forget them, I've done pretend trips in my mind for myself. I've been on cruises, taken trips to exotic places, and lived a whole different life in my head! LOL

Mikie: That shower door sounds terrific. A few years ago I was watching a segment on decorating on HGTV. Someone used an etching product after they applied a stencil. I found it amazing, but then you went an easy route. Smart!
    Rock: the doors are mirrored closet doors now with silver surround. They turned out pretty good!

Just a few more days and I can wave adios to the tile guys. It's been a long process BUT a learning one. My DD has been pushing for me to have the kitchen and large entry retiled, but it's VERY expensive and the DUST is terrible. My neighbor reminded me that once the house is sold a new buyer might end up ripping out new tile and doing what they want and it would be a waste of time and $.

My DH gets his 3rd chemo IV tomorrow. We're having trouble getting the chemo pills from CVS or any other pharmacy, so we need to talk to the oncologist about alternatives. He's had 3 days of MJ cookie pieces......and surprisingly it's helping about 1 1/2 hrs afterwards with appetite after he eats it.

Granni: how's your DH and the pneumonia?
  20. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone...my day is just winding down and it is going on 2:00 am...took awhile to get Gpa settled in at our house.

We got a call around 6:00 pm that Den's dad had fallen...Sis called a neighbor to come get him in the car, then Sis drove him to the hospital. After a round of tests (head CT, chest xray, wrists, knees) we found out he has two broken wrists, but everything else checked out okay.

He has a big gash and goose egg above his right eye and a bunch of bruises and scrapes. Keeps wincing and indicating still that his chest hurts, but supposedly no broken ribs.

The ER staff put splints on both wrists, so he really can't use his hands at all. He and I decided right off to throw modesty out the window, as I helped him in the bathroom and get ready for bed. I fed him bites of supper when we got home around 10:30 pm as he hadn't eaten yet when he fell.

Gpa says he tripped over his oxygen tubing...

When we found out they were going to send him home, Den pretty much insisted that he come to our house. He goes back to the doctor on Friday to get casts put on both wrists, then we will see how he's getting along.

Guess I'd better get to bed myself. We gave Gpa our bedroom, so Den is sleeping upstairs in the guest room and I am on the living room floor, so I can hear Gpa if he needs anything.

Sun, hope hubby gets along okay...and hope you can find a reliable source for the chemo pills. Glad the MJ is helping with his appetite...
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014