PORCHLIGHT #702 IS CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Porchies,

Granni, the eye docs do cataract surgery down here with the patients lined up like a production line in a car factory. There is always the possibility of complications with any surgery but most end up only needing reading glasses after the surgery which, BTW, is painless. Good luck. St. Lucie is the patron saint of vision. If memory serves, and often it doesn't, you spray the RainX on and wipe it off. It works for a while and when water no more beads up on the glass, you repeat. It's kinda like waxing your car and seeing water bead up. I don't use it on my shower doors because I wipe the shower down after showering and it's frosted. The RainX just makes wiping it down easier. I use about a cup of Epsom Salts in my soaks.

Rock, I knew about OS cause I worked in a multi-specialty clinic many, many moons ago. I did third-party ins. billing so I saw just about everything from all the different specialties. Because sinister meant left, in the olden days, they thought left-handed people were possessed. Now, we know left-handed people are generally more creative because the right hemisphere of the brain controls the left side of the body. After the surgery on my right arm, I had to learn to print with my left hand so I could keep working and fill out ins. forms. It rewired my brain and when I went back to monovision contacts, I had to acclimate to them all over again. Don't think I got more creative but, to this day, I do a lot of things ambidexterously. It always amazes people when they see me switch hands when doing things. I looked at the local news and never found out whether there was an escaped maniac on the loose but, by the time Barb and I went to eat, the copter was gone and no more sirens so I figured it was safe to go out unarmed.

Jam, there are many reasons to get one's eyes checked annually. Cataracts aren't the only problems we have. Glaucoma takes over one's vision soooooo slowly that one may only notice it in its later stages. Same with macular diseases. If let go, blindness is a possibility. My doc takes pics of my optical nerve every year and compares it to earlier pics. It gives me great peace that my eyes are healthy. Retina diseases run in my family. I'm taking no chances. Even if one has no family history of vision diseases, it's still a good idea to get the eyes examined by a good doc. My cataracts are so small and slow growing that I'll likely die before I need surgery. So, here I sit, wearing my +350 glasses so I can read. I almost envy those who have cataract surgery and then only need mild reading glasses.

Julie, I'm sooooo happy GPA is glad to be with you while he heals. He'd probably like to stay for good. As always, take care of yourself.

I had coffee on the Balcony this morning but didn't linger in my chair. I got my saw on a stick and cut down 12 palm fronds which had grown into our cashia tree. I hauled them (they are heavy) to the spot where I always leave my cuttings so the gardeners can haul them away. I can almost hear them swearing at me in Spanish as they deal with the mess. Oh well, that's why our yard looks so much better than some in here; I do a lot that they don't do. I had put a message on two of our hibiscus in both Spanish and English that we didn't want those two bushes trimmed. They are still blooming. They trimmed all the rest of the bushes but left those two alone. Again, they are probably wondering about the crazy Gringa who leaves these notes.

Then, I came in and cleaned myself up and put on some makeup. I ran down to Bealls because they had a one-day coupon for $10 if one only spends $10. I had seen a gorgeous pearl necklace like the one Caroline wears on "Two Broke Girls" and went to see how much it would be. The necklace was originally $38 but, because it was on sale and I had the $10 coupon, I ended up getting it for $13.50. It's really beautiful. The pearls are large in several strands. It looks like pearls bubbling all around the neck. Then, I went to Publix for milk and a few other things.

Finally, I came home and decided I still had enough NRG to clean the bathrooms and change my bed. I washed the sheets and decided to do the rest of the laundry. Second to last load is washing now. I've had a hitch in my git along all day so will soak in Epsom Salts and slip under clean sheets. Aaaaaah, one of life's greatest luxuries and pleasures. It's amazing how much more NRG I have when I get enough sleep. I slept til 5:00 this morning. Simon was lying across the top step waiting patiently for his breakfast. I love to watch him come up the stairs to get his food. He is not skinny but has no extra fat on him. He is very muscular like most homeless cats. He is magnificent.

Hope y'all have a wonderful evening.

Love, Mikie
  2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Jam Yes, I know that one of the BIG reasons not overusing antibiotics so much is that the bugs can become resistant to them. Thanks for the reminder of MSM. Do you just take it he you feel ill or do you take it daily, if so how much? Yes, sometimes I have UTI's too but haven't had man late and usually scare em way if early enough:)!!

Julie- I is probably a good thing that Grandpa Denzyl is wit.h you considering the other option. Hope he isn't in to much pain. Hope it isn't to uncomfy for you to sleep on the floor and hope you can get some good sleep for yourself.

Hi to Rock, Mikie , Sun, Dar and all!! Miss so many MIA's.

This silly computer or keyboard is typing so slow and I have to keep on going back over some of the words. I give up for now.

Love ya,
    Granni
  3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Jam: I get a once a year eye exam. My dr. has a great machine that takes a photo of the inside of the eye, then it goes onto the computer screen and we look at it together, comparing the last one. I refused any eye glasses this time......I HATE GLASSES and after 25 or more years I still can't get used to them. I have beginning cataracts and she told me new lenses wouldn't improve vision that much. When my aunt had eye surgery she was AMAZED at how bright her couch was!!!!! We dont realize we're losing vision. My mom had macular degeneration, glaucoma, and cataracts. The doctor gave me a frig magnet with some little squares on it with one dot. Told me to stare at the dot every couple of days. This checks peripheral vision and said if I saw any blank areas or wavy lines I was to get in pronto.......a sign of mac. deg.

Mikie: good price on the pearls. What will you wear them with? I have several strands but they don't look very good with my sweat pants. LOL I bought a beautiful double strand of mauve fresh water pearls in Hawaii years ago. They're so beautiful but where would I wear them now?

YEA.....the tile work is done!!!!! they were driving off as my new cleaning lady was driving in. How's that for timing. She's Polish, very nice, but not sure how much she understands what I'm trying to tell her......either that or she's got a set routine. My husband told me to just let her clean.

Yesterday we told the oncologist CVS was having trouble getting his chemo pills. He told me to check with other pharmacy places. So after talking to several pharmacists for Walgreen, I was given a special #. The pharmacist did a lot of checking and he's located a small amount of these pills. YEA. Apparently the generic is fairly new so it's being rationed out. $90 for 84 pills as opposed to $600 for name brand. One of his supplies has some!!!!!
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Time to close up this volume. Please do not post here. Hurry up and go to the next Porch on the other side.
    Love.,
    Granni