Porchlight is on Vol. 106 (CLOSED)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mrdad, May 6, 2007.

1. mrdad

mrdad New Member

OK Kids? Gonna make the Volume now. Seems like
    a good opportunity so late in the day.

82 degrees here in S.F. today! Very busy working on
    that "Bee Kee Nee" count at the Park this Aft. !! Saw
    lots of sunburn too. 85 tomorrow "they" say!

"Talk" later, K"?

[This Message was Edited on 05/11/2007]
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

supposed to be in the 90's tomarrow..i can't wait to wear my halter tops to school and show those young men something from a older woman...lol...cougar hunting they call it..

funny my friend says aren't there anyone around your age at the campus...i said not in my classes they are all around 18-20......

well i think i may need to take a dip in the pool w/georgie hamilton...don't get jealous he is really looking to orange and wrinkled right now...but i will amuse mr.dad...got to make that man feel special cause he is a movie star you know.lol

well having difficulties w/math..can't focus and hardly just cant figure it out...just when i think i do, i don't so i have been flipping back and forth in my book...

my final is may 21....gonna need some fine tutoring in the math. i think the warmer weather is taking a toll on my fibro...or just toxic exbf...both...whatever.

anyways..granni you sure are a busy lady...go have fun.

jen i have been trying to reach you but i guess i know why now...well take care of yourself..and try to get some sleep.

i filled out my calendar for football events..for cody...he is booked from may 24th till 12/15...

he only gets two weeks off for summer vacation...head coach says he will most likely will be starting at nose guard cause he did such a good job last year. or they put him at defensive tackle...

can't wait for the football games..whoo..i hope the do well this year they are going to be having 22 players missing this year. graduates of 2007 seniors...not all of the seniors started but we have some great talent coming up....

got to fiddle w/my math... i still have another days of work to do...crap!

3. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I am going to follow Marta and slip in early on the thread to say Hello to all...can't address everyone but wanted to tell you that I am thinking of each of you and hoping that all of us will feel better soon. Thanks to all of you for making me feel special when I was able to "pop in" the previous time I posted.

We are dealing with my in-laws who are very toxic people to both my husband and myself. The situation is too complicated and too messy to bother you nice people with the details. We are also trying to figure out our financial situation now that my husband has lost part of his duties and a large portion of our income. I've got to work on making lemonade out of lemons. I used to be good with that but these DD's can make you feel helpless sometimes as all of you can relate too.

I still have so much to be thankful about but I feel like I'm drowning in this mess...wish I could figure out what to do to get past all of the issues that are surrounding me now. I wish I felt like running away for a few days or just going back to my old life for awhile.

Carla, I am thankful that the mass on your back is a non cancer mass. As a cancer survivor myself, I've been there many times and I do have empathy for always having to think about it when something new happens to our bodies. Doctors can frighten you.

Take care everyone and I hope peace and tranquility for all of us.
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Sorry but I posted to the last volume. Hope SMG and Mr dad will forgive me !!!

Not much new today, just trying to get things baak in order, doing washed and all that stuff plus trying to figure out wht I will need to bring o our next week's outing in Branson. Wish it wasn't so close together but OH WELL !! Not much I can do about it now.

Just wanted to tell you that I posted incorrectly, in case anyone wanted to check it out or not. Back for now at least !!! Leave again on saturday.

Go the doc tomorrow to find out about my blood work and my latest bone scan. Hope tht it has improved, even if it at least a little bit.

Hugs to all,

5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Haven't been posting here much. It's a contest between me and the computer to see which is the more dysfunctional.

AT&T has been here several times in the last 6 months. A week ago the dream team was here: 3 of 'em. Simultaneously we had the carpet layers here to replace the flooded carpet.

You know the old Chinese curse: may you live in interesting times.

Anyway the carpet works just swell. The computer is worse than ever. Gordon and I decided if AT&T coldn't get it right this time, we would just do w/o a computer. After all, we did most of our lives.

But then he decided to give 'em another last chance. The guy was supposed to come Fri, but he never showed up. Guess he's given up too.

By the way, for MrDad and other history buffs (people who like their history in the nude) I was just reading about the Titanic. Seems like there is always some new twist or bit of trivia.

Anyway, as you may know, the Hellman's company began in Liverpool in the late l9 century. It was sending it's first shipment to Mexico on the Titanic. After stopping in New York, the great ship was scheduled to travel south.

The Mexicans had heard a good deal about mayonaisse from French diplomates and were eager to sample this new delicacy. When they heard the ship sank, they were so disappointed they declared a national day of mourning: Sinko de Mayo.

Don't dare type any more as the machine may crash. Will try and visit the porch again later.

6. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Oh, boy! 88 degrees here today and hotter up North
    where Jodie lives! Starting to cool off and I put my
    Fan in the window bringing in the cooler eve air!

Jodie, hang in there with the Math! Wish I could be of
    some help but I fear you are taking things I never
    encountered. I'm confident you will get back on track
    soon. Georgie must be HOT today up there! Don't let
    him hand around too long. Send him down to Rocky
    in So. Cal and have him use his POOL.

Granni: You are busier than anyone I know. You do
    seem to enjoy it though and hope all the darn tests
    turn out well too. Stay away from all those Tornados
    down there. Think I'll take the Quakes.

Sweetie: Glad ya fealt well enuff to come by the Porch
    today. We have to remember that our health comes
    first and must dictate all else. I totally empathize with
    the Family problems as you well know. We just have to
    take it day by day Girl! Ya know what I'm sayin'?

LInda: Thanks for the E-mail ! Are the Folks Home yet?
    I'm sure you have heard from them on their trip North wiff your Brother. A very long drive! Hope you are being treated well for "Nurses Week" !! Got a Card for my
    Nurses and just waiting for the weather to COOL so I
    can buy them some Chocolates from See's Candies
    to bring to them. Maybe Mid-week? Disappointed that
    you won't be coming to San Jose for the Conference.
    Hopefully another opportunity will arise in the near future.

Rocky: You're always gonna be sharper than ANY computer! Have to find you and Gordon a different type
    of Carrier! My iMac is old and my Son is not sure if it
    can be ungraded anymore? May be looking for a new
    used one myself. A newer iMac would do the trick I would think . This one is about 7 y.o. and the outside
    sources have pretty much gone beyond much of it's
    capabilities! ?

Hey to awl I missed!!

[This Message was Edited on 05/07/2007]
  7. Granniluvsu

Hi to all,

Glad to see that a few MIA have dropped by. Hi there Rock and Sweetie !!

Rock, I hope you feel better than that dumb computer of yours !!! I know how frustrating it can be esp when you ( and I) are not whizzes by any means on the computer. Keep it up though. We miss you and your humor when you are not with us.
    Swwetie oit is hard when you have bad family problems like tht. That is just what you don't need..

Off to the docs.

Hope to be back later. DH needs to use the computer and I just got one.
  8. ckball

ckball New Member

I'm glad to see Sweetie and Rock popped in. Sweetie thank you for the well wishes. We cancer surviors have a papvolvollin sp? dog reaction everytime "something" shows up abnormal. The idea that that it is cancer just pops in our heads.

Rock sorry to hear your puter problems.Loved the Titantic story. Have you ever thought about being a writer? My puter is still not working a 100% and Dell is waiting for me to back it all up before they do a clean sweep. I just keep putting it off because there is a chance that it may not work, so part of a puter is better than none.

I would be very upset to spend what I did on this thing then have it break in a year and half.

I have been doing outside work for a few days now, not my favorite thing but is needed. I tried to change my profile pic but because of my puter issues it wouldn't do it. I can't attached pics to email's either.

A neighbor came by and cut some more trees and bushes down so mowing and weed eating will be easier. I hate weed whacking it kills my back.

Linda- I hear you about moving dirt. I have been cleaning out my front ditch and am paying for it, why do we think we can still do the things we do?

Hello to Marta, Jodie, Granni and all I'm off to buy 2 tires for my riding mower so I can cut grass this evening. I tried fix a flat last time but I guess it didn't work.

I hope everyone is have a great week and feeling better.Carla

9. Granniluvsu

Dear Porchies,

Well, just got back from the endo this afternoon and I am really pooped now. First I went to the store to pick up a few things for our trip next weekend, since I had some time before my appt.

Then got their early for my appt and was taken in fairly early by the nurse which was good. I didn't have the chance to really get into my book. Took the wt. and b/p and I was pleasantly surprised that my b/p was behaving itself. The Tarka seems to be working better, along with the Hyzaar. When I wen to the docs before the b/p would fly upwards and believe me I was not afraid of anything.

I didn't even have to wait to long for the doc to come in. I really like her. She is very considerate, and knowledgable. Well she wanated to up my thyroid meds to 88mg from 75 and aldo my Vit D was much lower for some reason too. Do I am now on 5,000 IU Ergocalciferol 2x a week.

I was really scared about my bone density test that they took last week. However, she said that since I had the tests done before at a different place it was sort of hard to tell.

However, she did say that it seemed to indicate that things were looking better in that department. So I am alot happier than I could have been. Even looking a little better sounds good to me with severe osteoporosis (along with everything else)!!!.

CK - Gee getting tires for your riding mower surely sounds exciting to me (-::: (Not Really) However, I know it is one of those things that you have to do in life, esp if you have no significaant other, or yard man to do that stuff. Luckily, we have little grass and most stuff is just greenery with a few flowers that will grow in mostly shade. So, there is no grass to mow but there is lots of weeds and stuff like that - ugh !!

I agree with you and all complaining of your back. It seems like it almost always hurts and when I weed , etc. it is worse. Sometimes I cannot stand up when I am through. I try to do just a little bit at a time but while I am down there I mayjust do more than I should and then I suffer !!

Hugs to ALL you porchies and those hiding in the bushes again.

Hi to Mrdad, Marta, Linda, Jen and Jodie. Jodie have you gone crazy yet with that Math ? Glad to see Sweetie ,Rock again !! Stay well. Will have to do some more washing, ironing and preparing for the next trip on saturday. I have also been trying to forget about the vacuuming !! I feel so tired just talking aboaut it. Gotta run guys (and Gals). or should I say Gals and Guys since there seems to be more of us gals then those guys !!??

Love to Y'all,

10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

...............hoping to get here before there are too many posts!

We also have a beeeUtiful day here at 81 degrees or so. Rain is forecast for tomorrow but we need it. Maybe I can get some weeds pulled if the ground softens up. When you can only do two at a time they have a way of catching up to you.

Jodie, good luck with the math. I've never been good in math so I can empathize with needing help. You more than make up for it in other course though. And good for Cody for getting his summer lined up. Two weeks is not a lot of vacation but probably good for a big growing boy....

Sweetie, so good go see you. Have you read The Secret or seen the DVD? I hesitate to mention it because, while the hype is new, the concept is very old. My thoughts are with you, my friend.

Marilyn, you're off to Branson, ey? Glad you got the test results before you went so you can concentrate on having fun. Vitamin D is crucial to bone density so I hope that med you mentioned is prescription D.

Rock! Good to see you here. No, customer service isn't what it used to be. I have a CD maturing this week and went to the bank to see what rates they offer now. Usually they honor higher rates from other banks but I didn't have a newspaper clipping with me and the Customer Service? rep said that she certainly would not make calls to other banks; I could take it or leave it. I left and plan to leave the bank permanently as well. I may not have a lot but, by darn, I still expect respect.

Sinko De Mayo, indeed. Good one.

Linda, you have some sore muskles? My PA limped in the other day and said she'd moved 25 yards mulch the day before. Her husband's a doctor, seems like they could hire that stuff done..... Soak inna tub. That often helps me.

Joe, I hope you're doing well with your sister's situation. I haven't checked for email in a while but hadn't heard from you the last time I did so I assume no news is good news.

Carla ck, I'm glad you got help with the weeds. That you're going to cut the grass even on a riding mower blows my mind. Is your back better?

I'm still not up to par for some reason but I scheduled myself a busy week anyway. Not too bright either obviously. I may have to quit the shelter until I can get caught up and feeling better but I hate to.

The chairs on the Porch as lookin' good with the fresh paint! Time to gather out there again and I'm glad. I like the Lodge but there's something special about the Porch.

Hugs all around near and far,

[This Message was Edited on 05/08/2007]
  11. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

cody yelling at his exgf...he has tons of homework...i have been asking for help w/my homework..to no avail...then he starts cursing at me...cause he is pissed at her...
    i want to get to bed myself....

well granni glad your endo is done...crown next step...

rockgor glad at&t fixed the problem hopefully now...

mr.dad i didn't see georgie today guess he must be headed south.

i finished my math i still another one due...i can't figure it out...she did mentioned that if anyone of us was having problems w/it she would give us more time...

i guess i will be shelling out some duckets to cody exgf this week(end). just not getting all that algebraic equations stuff...cody does it and it seems so simple to him..

well gonna take my night pills so i can wake up early for pilates and math...

12. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

made it through classes today so i should be ok...i can either go swim, go to sleep, go take a nice hot shower...then do some math...deccisions...

granni good for your bp!

marta thanks for the cody promos...i hope i can get some pics of him sometime on here as well as myself...but he doesn't seem to have much time for me ever to show me how to do this or that....

gonna make a phone call ...

13. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I told my kids they didn't need to fret about getting me to the stress test because I have a friend from the NL driving over...... :>))

They said they weren't fretting anyway. :>(

Hugs to all,

14. maineweezie

maineweezie New Member

Hi Friends,

Long time no see you all and have missed talking to you but between computers and other fun games it's not been possible. This computer has spent lots of vacation time traveling much further than I've been in years. Seems that the thing decided to act up just two weeks before the guarantee ran out on it. Talk about timing!! Anyhow I fought with it and couldn't get it to work right so it took the first trip to the Boston area along with a nice note describing the problems. A week later it returned with nothing done because it was built when XP was the standards for it and I was to reformat as they had tried and had the wrong software but told me it couldn't run new Vista. Well gee it had been for a couple of months. I did the work,boxed it up and it had it's second tour......then the third and about that time I really got mad. You don't want to hear the angry repercussions that can come out of a French/Native American/Irish woman who has had enough. I was able to remember that Mother had raised a lady and never cursed them out or anything nasty but it was tempting. Last trip out they replaced the motherboard and hard drive at their expense. Good thing for their little hineys!!!!!!!! (SisterMG would have been proud of me)

I've posted else where on my changing doctors. Many of you are gonna be happy to know there are some good ones left in Maine. I'm on an uphill battle right now medically!YES!Long ways to go yet but do able.

The porch looks beautiful and extremely comfy. Think I'll just sit back and listen a bit. My poor fingers are out of shape for typing much.So many wonderful smiling faces here. Did you say this was Eden or just a very special corner of the world.
    Love you all,
  15. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

how i wished i had taken or made the opportunity when i lived in alexandria, va...so close to so many things you know...

well shoot i forgot who i was just going to mention....

16. ckball

ckball New Member

Not only is my puter acting up my phone line keeps dropping me. It has a lot of static in the line,

I am STILL working on the yard, I know I amaze many of you about the things I do but beleive me it is very hard and takes me a whole day to accomplish what most could do in half the time or less.

I also have short term memory and I spend most my time going room to room or outside and stand there without a clue to were I was going or what tool I needed. Or come in the house get a drink or potty and go back outside only to realise I was going in to get something else, so back to the house repeating the word over and over. This is the truth. I feel like a combo of Lucille Ball and Ty Pennington or Amy Wyn, she is a female carpenter on Trading Spaces.

I got my tires fixed and didn;t have to buy new ones. And yes I changed the tires myself. I use the fulcum and pivot principle by using wood blocks then raise the mower and kick the bigger block under it and you got it, sounds easy but not for me, there is always a kink some where,lol.

I do have to tell the truth. I did cut down a cherry tree. Well, not me, I paid some one else. It was a pityfull tree. He just pushed on and it moved at the base, so he pushed it over with his tractor. Now I have 5 small tree/brush stump to figure out how to get them out cheaply.

I have spent 50 bucks in gas and literly burned it up, still have stumps:-( He did cut them close to the ground but they still need to be lowered or gone. All of this work I am doing now is going to make it easier to maintain.

I am not even going to try to mention everyone except I see mainweezie came back, we have missed you sorry about the puter problems, I am having issues too,

CArlanl, sorry but I will take care of that, just been busy.

Everyone else a big hello and wave I hope everyone is happy and healthy today.Carla
  17. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

but sometimes we just push ourselves because we have to...

well gonna take a hot shower and relax for a minute then go see a friend for a glass of vino. been stressed lately over some things in my life...math is the big one!

well gonna go now.

cody has a county meet thing tomarrow and i will be missing a non important class teacher already knows about it...plus i have meeting w/her in the morning at 10:30...state voc rehab stuff to pay for some college things...

18. Granniluvsu

Dear Porchies,

There is so much to do and I haven't really started packing. Have to go and do some ironing first before I can do that stuff. To many things have been getting inthe way.

I just wanted to ceck in and tell you all that I probably will not get to pot more than a line or to today and tomorrow and then leave on sat for Branson. Be back ina week !!

Please save my place though and don't let anyone take my chair and blankie.

Thinking of you all. Hi to Mainwheezie who I haven't see in awhile and:

Jodie - I might need more than one glass of vino if I was taking higher math. I think I would get the gun (no not reallY but it is that frustrating to me. I was always very dense in that department.

Special "hi's" to Carlas, Marta, Mrdad, Rock, Linda, etc. Stay happy, warm and hopefully as pain free as possible. Gotta get going and do someething around here. Tell you about the shows I see and the fun I had seeing old friends when we get back in about a week.

Love to you all,

19. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i have to go to cody's track meet it is one of the big one's right now...

20. Marta608

Marta608 Member

When I looked over and saw Maineweezie sitting in her chair I had to stop by and say hello! I'm having pizza delivered just to celebrate and there's a big brass bucket filled with beer and ice over there in the corner. My son introduced me to Newcastle Brown Ale when he was here last fall so I've included some of those. Help yourselves. Glad you're feeling good or gooder, too, Weez.

Carla ck, I could never do all you do if I had a month but I do share your short-term memory. My dad used to tell an old joke about memory:

An elderly man heard a knock on his door. He opened it to find a young man with a Bible in his hand. "I'm here, sir, to talk to you about the hereafter", the young man said.

"Goodness me", said the elderly man, "I know all about the hereafter. Every time I go into a room I think, now what am I here after??" OOOOOK, I told you it was old.

Jodie, you need a cheer like we do for Cody; Gooooooooooooooo, Jodie! There, now you'll have no trouble with math. ;>)

Marilyn, have great fun in Branson. Here, take a couple of beers along with you. Don't drink and drive though.

Hugs all around the porch on this lovely spring night,