Porchlight is On Vol.151 (CLOSED)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mrdad, Nov 2, 2007.

1. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Ok Kids! Started a new volume just in time for the weekend!

[This Message was Edited on 11/05/2007]
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

Cody's team Won big time...it is a huge deal for our team...sadden's me to not be able to see my own son play like he could....but we still played as a team and won...like 36-20...

i am his mom for one, but i am sure that the score would've been different in the end....cody was the strongest guy on the team they cold him, popeye. so sad for me...but i did got about a 2 hr. drive to watch our team kick some booty...

at half time the other teams fan's were saying "i knew we were going to lose tonight...." this is a huge win for our team...i know how difficult it is mentally on cody because he can not play and put in what he has to offer the young team that we have...

we have only like 9 seniors on our team...we lost 22 or 23 seniors on our team last year...

this year is a different team an young one's...but they are still winning...i hope they can keep up the hard work...

I quote, " had pushed Cody Further than any other person before, cody has set a standard that know one has been able to attain. He gave everything when asked of him heart and soul, I am weeping inside for you and cody inside."

I will have to get the actual letter out of the email of his coach....he did mention he regrets he could not coach cody during his somphomore year...Well that was the year they brought him up to Varsity but cody had index finger crushed..pins and screws put in the joint.

i know you all can tell i am saddened buy also delighted on my son's accomplishment's...no help to his father...not much atleast.

well i am going to get ready for bed..i have been eating leftovers from the team dinner last night, thursday...

novato has one last game in the league on saturday next weeek...they already clinched the county league title...atleast cody had the chance to contriute to the most important games of the year and whoops some but...all the same it is sad not to feel like part of the team

he has to take his sat's tomarrow morning around 7:30 am..

I wish him well in his adulthood of life...i love him dearly...and wished i didn't have to watch him on the sidelines as a senior...this is not the year you want to watch you teen on the sidelines, when you have scouts out there for a team...

love you all

3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi, Joe - and all my Porch buddies!

Since I'm taking a much-needed break from the shelter for a week or more, I decided to come to the porch to say Hi. The contact with Real People is definitely a good thing for reducing depression but the stress of the place - at the pace I'd set for myself - was taking a toll.

I see that Jerome did a good job cleaning up all the Halloween decorations and sweeping off the porch. I'm so glad he didn't put up holiday decorations yet!

It's good to see you all again. I'll be back as I can.

Hugs all around to those near and far,

4. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Well let's see? Tonight at midnight is Fall back-Spring ahead

or Spring back-Fall ahead?? My 'puter knew what to do last

week when it was 'posta do it. It's an hour back right now so

I'll just leave it as is!

CK: I haven't been able to work on that legal case for awhile

now but will return to it soon. Weather was about 75 and

clear and beautiful as it should be today. Did have Dinner

wiff the "Lil Guys" last weekend and had their DAD stop by

last nite and pickup "Cream Puffs" I picked up for them yes-

terday. As "HOMER' would say: "Ummmm! Cream Puffs".

I understand that some bad weather is headed to the Atlantic

Seaboard. Buckle down those hatches out there!

Marta: It's great to "see" you on the Porch this A.M.? How

is the Sophie getting along? Myrna's roommate has a Dog

by the name of Sophie but I'd call Her "Sushie" just to let

Her know that I was keeping my options open it case times

got tough! Drop me an email when ya can, "K"?

Well gotta make some phone calls so I'll "talk" to ya's a

bit later!

5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

It's so nice for The Porch to be growing with new "Porchies" and having old friends stop in again.

Thanks to each of you for thinking of me and always making me feel welcome when I am able to stop by for a short visit. All of you are always so supportive and it means so much to me.

Mom is still in the hospital. We just found out that her lung capacity is well below 50%. I am not familiar with lung issues but that does not sound good. I need to talk to the doctor and do some research. I feel so helpless...wish I could make everything alright but life doesn't work that way.

Hugs to everyone and a special big one to Marta. It was good to see your post.

6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i just received an email-one of cody's friends on the team....his father had a brain hemmorage during the game last night. he is in icu, and can only communicate by wiggling his right foot.

they have a nice family...they always volunteer to help out on everything....at school sports. their son is graduating this year. and they have a young daughter so sweet...i think she is like 11 years old.

as for cody he w/not be getting looked at most likely this year at all if every...he won't be healed until september next year w/his knee injury..

but we are getting his copies of his game films etc....

out here in cali there are some junior collegues that have football teams...

cody has a granpa that knows how to get kidkos recruited...he has coached and played pro etc...

i have another friend that played pro and we talked last night...he wants to coach our other cross town rival team for free...he was all american 3 times..holds record for fastest 100mm run in cali...well anyways..

just saying cody is out for this season...and thankfully he has his head in tack...and not in icu...

it could've been so much worse. the team mates miss him...he held the line...the other young'uns have been working really hard and getting yelled at good during practice to get them prepared for their games.

well anyways...we are still have a decent time, fun for me to watch some of these kids perform.

7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

before I had to go and finish the hair project. I hate having to curl my hair and holding the curling iron kills my right arm after a short period. Part is the FM and the part is probably from the accident and broken elbow wo years ago or so when I had surgery on it. It is weak I I can't hold anything in it to long including my choir books. Then, I have to switch arms.

Went into Houston to see my grandson play football - really cute and they did win and are in the playoffs. They are so happy. The almost 14 yr old granddaughter was sick with strept throat so we couldn't go see her play volleyball in her tournaments. Heard they did good anyway. She was very sad she couldn't play. Then went out for lunch and came home. Had a great time except for the terrible traffic (on a saturday even) and it isn't even downtown. Actually itis the part of town close to where we used to live.

Linda - I know what you mean about terrible hair prices for cuts and such and going higher !! So glad that you did not get to much of that hurricane. We all can do without that except maybe the people in NC where one daughter lives where it VERY DRY !!! Their lakes are SO DOWN.

Jodie - How sad to hear about Cody's friend's dad. I hope he will improve with time and get better. That is so sad.

Sweetie - Sorry to hear about your mom. Yes, it doesn't sound to good but I hope she will improve.

Marta - Glad to see you. How is that Ms. Sphie doing? Hope she is behaving and that you are feeling not to badly with your working at the shelter!!

Hope Rock gets his computer today.

Hi there Mrdad - so glad to see you back on the Porch. Sure sounds like you have been having a busy time since you returned.

CK is scooting around on her "scooter" -golf cart going everywhere. So glad that you got it back CK !!

Please excuse if I already sent one with some of this info in it. The brain is gone - again. Some of this sounds familiar or did I post it on another thread? Good grief !!!! Or was that last night ??

Nity nite to everyone and DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE CLOCKS BACK, YAY !!!!!!!

Big hugs to those hiding in the bushes and those I may have forgotten - also Julie, Joan, Carla nl, Lacey,Georgia, Bev, Julie et al.

Gotta run and curl my hair - does anyone hair to curl other peoples hair. If so please call me ASAP - what a chore!! My hair is short but it is pretty thick.

[This Message was Edited on 11/03/2007]
  8. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Hello everyone, it's Lurkernomore aka Katie. I had just posted an intro and joined y'all on the porch for vol. 151. I went back to see if anyone had replied and couldn't find it. Now we're onto 151? Wow, that was fast! Hope everyone is doing well. It's a chilly night here and we've already set our clocks up so I feel bedtime coming early tonight. Now if sleep will just come along too, that will be great. Katie
  9. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Sweetie: I'm so sorry that your Mom isn't doing well. You've
    had so much to deal with especially this past year! I'm
    familiar with your past and I know you are calling on the
    strength you displayed then to help support you in your pre-
    sent trials. Best wishes!

Linda: Sounds like you will be busy with your daughters
    friend for awhile. I'm unclear as to the circumstances
    of your Disability and how long you will be away from work.
    Didn't know how you continued to work with not only your
    illness but also the stress and workload attendant to your
    job! I'm glad that you have some time to "rest" and re-coup!

Roc: Any luck finding a new 'puter? Don't know ifin' ya
    saw my message to you concerning used "Macs"? I left a few
    websites for ya to check out. Gotta get ya "hooked up"
    regular like!! The library isn't very convenient and too
    many of those "pointy head suto intellectuals", ya know
    what I'm Sayin'? (Sorry George W.)!!

Hey to all ov ya's!

P.S. Anyone hear from "Shannonsparkles" lately??? She's a
    longtime M.I.A. I'm afraid

10. ckball

ckball New Member

I was trapped on the couch with a big dog head on my lap and the other one on my feet. We were all crashed out from our day out.

Granni wins the prize! I worked on dog training while carting. I have been meeting new dogs, some nice some not, it is all in the body langauge to tell. But my girls don't like any of them. I really need the Dog Whisperer.

I am better at keeping the mean dogs away, the ones that like to chase us. I have 2 packs I have to go by. One has 6 mixed small to big dogs, then 3 dogs farther down the same road.

I stop in the road and shake a stick at them while I am saying a firm asservtive -GIT. It works everytime. Then I managed to get about 8 more bricks in the trench. Then I took some sunset pics, I will put one up soon.

OH I almost forgot to tell you. I got my brochure and letters from the hollywood fundraiser. So now I have the info and go out and get more art and money. I will be asking everyone I talk with to at least donate $25 if you can't do a peice of art. If anyone here wants more info I am going to update my We Are Marshall page with the contact info, all donations are tax deductible.

They are making PSA'as about depression, Bi-polor and manic depression to educate and bring awarness and remove the stigma that is still attached to mental illness. He told me that are looking for ideas for furture PSA's.

Their goal is to raise $500,000 now to air the one that Randy Travis filmed and 10 more they have in pre production. They want to raise a $1,000,000 by 2008 and $10,000,000 by 2012. So guys this is big stuff.

I hope I am able to raise enough money to make a difference. I am so proud to be a part of this project. I want to be able to see one of those PSA's and know that I was a part of it and it touches someone to reach out and maybe save a life or two. These doors don't open everyday and I am ready to go threw them.

Jodie I do want to say how sorry I am to hear about the coach. Linda is right, enjoy each day, it could be your last.

I am really whipped and I just noticed it was 11:45, that might explain it.

Sweetie wish you all the best with your mom, I hope they can figure out what is going on, you have had so much to deal with, prayers for you and you family

Darkwaters it is good to see you come out into the light a little more.

Katie too- just jump in any ole time

Mrdad,Linda, Rock, Julie, Joan, Lacey and who ever I forgot Ill' ketchp wiff you guys on the next round. Enjoy that extra hour tonight- Julie take your meds- nite nite-Carla
  11. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

just a quick note cause i am fading...i forget whom mentioned turning back the clock...more time for the night.hee hee

i don't know if am staying home tonight or not...a friend of mine said she wanted to go out at 11 pm and play ms. packman and pool...but that game is at the place i got dropped the crap in my drink...which means possibly erik the idiot maybe there...

oh-the father of one cody's friend from football last i knew ws in icu...i know he has hep c, non smoker, non drinker, and stays in pretty good shape...not sure of his age..but you just never know when things are going for a turn for the worse.

i feel badly for the family.....another email from the football team mom...asking for families to help cook up pre-made meals for their family...they around the corner from me. i just can not imagine them taking the little girl to the hosipital...last i knew it is atleast 60 miles or more away from where we live.

and their son has school and football practice as well...

i need to call and ask what they may like to eat...anthony is a big guy on the team...i bet they are all scared...i hope they have faith and hang in there.

sorry this is on my mind.

yep, cody's injury is nothing compared to this...

i was supposed to go out w/a good female friend earlier tonight but she had to stay home cause she had brain surgery about a month ago....she got hit in the head by her golf bad when her bf was grabbing them out of her car...she was in the line of fire...she had a concussion...well she is having almost fainting spells and continous pain throughtout her body..

what a weird year for me...

i pray 2008 is better for everyone i know! including all of us..

12. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Got rid of that old piece of junk, i.e. the computer, and now have a new piece of junk.

Gordon and I hauled it home from Burbank, about 14 miles, then had to go back and buy more stuff. So Gordon hooked things up while I took a nap. When I woke up he said, "Ok, it's all ready. Happy now?"

I said, "No. Happy expectations just lead to bigger disappointments." Of course we've had this conversation several hundred times during the last 27 years.

Anyway I have now tried the new computer and it has multiple problems, just like the old one. The biggest disappointment is that I can't play bridge. That used to be my main recreation since I seldom leave the house. Haven't been able to play the last couple years.

I am trying to look on the bright side. Oh yoohoo little bright side, where are you....?

Oh well, as my mother used to say, what will it matter in 100 years?

13. ckball

ckball New Member

to brighten Rock's day :) Even doing a little dance for you. Did you buy a brand new computer? If so there should be no reason you can't play bridge.

It is probably a setting that needs to be changed in the TOOLS menu. If you can tell us what operating system you have maybe between all of us we can tell you how to fix it.

We can't have our Rock hit rock bottom because he can't play his favorite computer game. We already give up so much for our illness's don't let a computer get the best of you. We are here to help.

You can always expect problems when setting a computer up and finding all your favorites again. Do you have Windows XP, the new Vista or Windows 98, etc? When you turn the computer on it will show you what OS you have.

I'll check in on you later-never give up K? {{{{{{{{{{{{Rock}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} big hugs-Carla

Jodie- may favorite meal to make and give away is baked spaghetti covered in mozzerlla cheese. It is easy to make and who doesn't like spaghetti? Include a loaf of some sort of bread or rolls to go with it. Buy a throw away foil baking pan to bake it in. But when taking it put it in a cake pan for support. Then you don't have to worry about getting your pan back. I did this last week for a nieghbor that helped me with my cart,plus his wife had foot surgery so that was my thank you.

I am sure they will appreciate anything at this point, I can't imagine how they must be feeling. Carla[This Message was Edited on 11/04/2007]
  14. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I'm watching my SF '49'ers team playing Atlanta. The Drought
    is so bad around that part of Georgia that I understand that
    the '9'ers had to not only bring their water boy, but their
    own H-2-O as well!! A glass of water in an Atlanta Restaurant
    I understand, is as rare in that Town as a stature of Gen.
    Sherman! Oh boy, hah?

Rock: Hope your 'Puter problems will be solved soon! Can't
    have ya in the "Mulley Grubs" over the inability to play
    Bridge on line! I'm sure things will ber resolved. Maybe it's some needed software (??) Let us know when ya get hooked

Hope all are having a relaxing Sunday and feeling relatively

"talk to ya later', K?
  15. Granniluvsu

Hi there Porchies and Porchettes,

Went to church early this morning, rushed home changed clothes and then off to work on th tredmill and a few other wt. machines. Believe me I didn't feel like going but it is good that DH makes me go otherwise I probably would never go. I need it for my severe osteoporosis mainly and the weights and some machines good for my flexibility and strength due to the FM. I always have to force myself to go - not on my fun things to do list but sometimes there is not much choice.

After lunch DH finally put up the rod and thank goodness they fit and all. I wasn't sure as the space was really a bit in between sizes. I got the smaller size and it worked out OK. I probably should have ironed the valences but I was to lazy and was happy they got up anyway. DH was glad to get that off his things to do list. He is not the most talented in the area of working with his hands, putting things together and setting things up. So I had to be with him to help with his tools (screwdriver, drill, pencil for marking etc.) Then I got them on the rods and he helped me to put them up. THANK GOD THAT IS DONE WITH !! Think it looks pretty good all things considered.

The color is a little more on the gold side then tan but there are other things in the room that can help accent the gold. I think the new computer desk will help to with its gold hardware.

I forget who asked when I was going to get the computer desk.. We are supposed to get it sometime next thursday. So, wednesday sometime we will be taking the computer off the table and putting the table (old one) in the garage. That will help the room look alot better without that horrible table in there. Think it is made out of pressed cardboard or whatever you cal it and is pealing, etc. Looks awful !! Hope I don't have to disconnect the computer for to long.

Rock - Speaking of coumputers how is yours coming along. Be patient with it !! I know what you mean about computers. They can derive you crazy sometimes, Is the computer new or a "Newer" used one??? Yes, it might needs some new software or to be hooked up right if it is NEW. If it is used maybe you just need to buy some software to play the games, like Bridge that you like.

Jodie - again I am so sorry to hear about your son's teamates father. What a terrible thing to be happening especially to such a younger person. It is awful for anyone at any rate. Yes, that does make you feel l lucky when you think of it. Cody was very lucky with his injury, all things considered !!! Yes, that spaghetti dish sounds like an easy one to do.

Also, around where you are, you can probably buy those chickens already cooked, a loaf of French or Italian bread, some salad ,already made (just add dressing), and even potato salad if you want to buy some of that. When I broke my arm years ago someone brought me the chicken, bread and salad and it was wonderful.. Of course, DH also just loves chicken any way so he was very happy and so was I. Those precooked chickens are fantastic if you can get them. We don't get them often but they are very good.

Mrdad - Hope you enjoy watching the game on TV. That is what DH is doing now after his big chore of putting up the curtain rods (-: !! That is terrible about the drought. Our daughter in NC has a similar problem, maybe not quite as bad but pretty bad.

Hi Ckball - you are so busy in your little golf cart with your doggies. So glad you finally got it back so you can go zooming again (-: !Working on any new pieces yet or do you have to wait to get more supplies, etc.?

Hi to everyone not mentioned inc Lacey, Georgia, Katie, Bev, Darkwaters, Sweetie, Carla nl,etc.

Hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Blessings and hugs,

16. Granniluvsu

Don't worry about it kiddo. I'll be there to eat it anyway. I just love any kind of pasta including lasagna. I used to make it quite often when my kids were growing up but not I usually buy the Stouffers which tastes delicious and is great in a pinch. It is especially good when feeding a bunch of people. Just add garlic bread ad sald - wonderul !!

I would love to help you eat your circular lasagana or whatever shape it is (-: ! Glad to be seeing you a little more often.

Hugs and blessings,'

17. mezombie

mezombie Member

I just heard of your loss, and am so sorry. You clearly gave Myrna great solace by being with her during her last months. I am sure she is smiling down at you as you read this.

Please take the time to heal yourself. I am very impressed at your ability to remain cheerful and active throughout this ordeal.

I'm glad to see that your family and friends in SF are there for you, and that the porchies are rallying around, as well.

Take care,
    [This Message was Edited on 11/04/2007]
  18. laceymae

laceymae New Member

Sorry I haven't stop by to sweep the porch this week...can't really say what I did last week. No, it's not a secret, I just was in a fog all week.

Went to the Dr. Wed. had to have blood work done.Dr. called Friday to tell me I have high cholerstol and she wanted me to go on a diet. Now what kind of a sense of humor do I have to have...diet at thanksgiving and Christmas. Oh well...could have been worse.

I see everybody has had a busy week.

Mr Dad I'm glad to see you back. You have been in my prayers this week.

Granni, I remember the foil wall paper...it was years ago though. My paper and border both are coming down. A friend bought paper from the same store and her's came down. Think I'll bring out the stapler and fix it.

Jodie...you and Cody have really been through a lot these last few months...sounds like you have a really good relationship. Hang tough, things will get better.

Ckball...glad you are scottering again. sounds like we may get some snow flurries this week. I'm not ready for it yet.

Hello to everyone else...
  19. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

you only live once on this earth and "if you have the opportunity knocking...you gotta take a chance....you better go go!"eminemen...hope i quoted that correctly now.

i w/figure out a dish...i offered thanksgiving at my house if they wish....cody w/be at his father's in san jose that week, but i am sure we can work it out...if need be...otherwise i am all by my lonesome for turkey day...

well i am sure some friends w/give me an invite somewhere...or i w/just have to go to the casino and find a buffet...

my birthday is encroaching xmas day...i w/be 43 years old...

i have a difficult time at this time of year w/depression so i need to be around positive people...

i extended offers to give the football player a ride to school and practice if need. but i am sure everything is covered.

well talk to you all soon

rock i hope you get your puter working before 100 years!

20. jens2angels

jens2angels New Member

Hey there kids

Been busy out on the streets saving the world and what not.

Kids had a good halloween, even though we got rained on. Brooklynne was a little witch and Brayden was a devil. I took them to get some professional pics done by the same guy that did some this summer. I pick them up tonight.

Still liking the job real well and am contemplating seriously about signing on for the paramedic program they are starting this spring. If I get my medic license and then my RN that = some big bucks I can be making.

My shoulder has been holding up as well as it can. Sad thing is that being and EMT is easier on my shoulder than the nursing home job was. My back didn't enjoy the diabetic lady we had that was hyperglycemic and we had to hold her down because she was trying to punch us (she didn't know any better, the diabetic reaction was making her crazy) but a night of ice, heat and ultram made it back to a tolerable level again.

Mr dad- sorry about your squeeze, she was blessed to have such a good friend by her side to take care of her.

Jodie-hope cody is feeling better and his friends dad turns out ok, they can do amazing things as long as they get to the bleed soon enough, which I'm sure they did.

anyone else I forgot- hope everyone is well and I'm always peeking in.

I have a bunch of running around to do, need to get a tb test done, get the kids signed back on to medicaid, put a roast in the slow cooker, get the dog some flew stuff, do homework, yikes, today is a busy day.