Porchlight is ON Vol. 161

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mrdad, Dec 5, 2007.

1. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Gonna get this started in time to start a new day in the A.M.

2. mrdad

mrdad New Member

We must have both Posted as I started Vol.161 It's ok to go

over the 30 count at times. Happy to hear that Dad is doing

well and you are Home too! Try to catch your breath ifin'

ya can b-4 the Belize thingy.

3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

told him dinner was done...he came out to get his plate of food...makes the comment to me that "it is really gay that he can not play football." i told him maybe he can go play for the banana slugs uc santa cruz. He said it really sucks he can not be playing football right now cause he would be starting and he really misses playing.

i'm crying yes, i am. it sucks they he had gotten injured...if it were an accident that would be one thing, but to intentionally be put out by an illegal hit in football is another thing.....

yes i know it could be worse and he is alive....but it is a bummer of an injury.

oh now i have another letter in the mail saying i no longer qualify for financial aid for college... all because i was trying to take care of my mental mess from a rape. when does this stop...well i can petition somehow...it just doesn't make sense that i keep feeling like i get persucuted because of someone else's actions..

gonna go

4. gardengirl12

gardengirl12 New Member

i don,t know how to move my message over here you guys help
    linda garden
  5. ckball

ckball New Member

I had a wonderful day! I got to change my tire in the snow, and actually did it all by myself.

Then I cleaned windows and rehung my glass work at the gallery. Oh so much fun I couldn't stand it-not

Then went shopping at the MALL, actually just Goodies. Spent 2 hours but found a great new outfit to wear Fri night. I am being interviewed by a reporter and am meeting and greeting and taking art collections so I thought I derserved some new duds.

Linda you would have been so proud of me, I didn't have coupons but I found a good sale, plus Wed is Senior Citz 25% extra off. It's been a long time since I have shopped for dress clothes. I told them I was on SS and had a medicare card so I got the discount. So I got a beautiful brown/black blazer with small red and grey strips. A nice red mock turtle neck sweater and a pair of slate gray slacks AND a casual shirt for jeans for $53- now that was a deal. It was a $60 jacket for $17 after sales and discount.

So tomorrow I will be in bed or the couch trying to recoup today and get ready for Fri.

I must say I was not happy about the flat tire, I just got past my nieghbors house and new something wasn't right, got out and yep it was flat. Backed up to my house changed clothes, I was on the way to the gallery.

That was the first one I have changed in 20 years, but I really was stuck. I just prayed after trying to knock the lug nuts loose without any luck. SO I prayed and tried again and it worked. Drove it down to the local tire place and they checked it and it was fine no leak, so they put it back on and put the small spare back into it's place and didn't charge me a dime- now that was sweet.

I will catch up with ya'll tomorrow I am beat and feel like have been beat so going to turn in- See ya-Carla

6. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I think ya just "cut and paste" but I don't know how to do it

either! Someone will read you Post and give ya directions at

some point. Julie just had to do that a while back. I think

CK and Linda know how, maybe they will drop in for a lesson

on how to do it. We "ALL" usually go back and read the last

Posts written on the previous volume then Pickup and move on

to the New Vol. When I start a new vol., you notice that I

do it quickly so hopefully not catch someone in the change

of Volumes. We change Vols. to avoid long threads that

would otherwise occur.

(What ya doing up so late anyhow?) It's gotta be after

mid-night back there! "Talk" to ya tomorrow!

7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

12/05/07 06:58 PM

isn,t kabosh polish sausage////////////////////////????

LOL garden

8. gardengirl12

gardengirl12 New Member

Hi everyone ,Been haveing trouble with the lap top guess
    i did it myself though .i tryed to download a xmas wallpaper and all kinds of junk came in with it so i guess i learned a lesson the hard way took 6 hrs to get rid of all the stuff.

just a light dusting of snow today so it does look pretty
    i like it at night when the lights are on and i have a big tree in front of my house that i put 2 splot lights on it looks so festive.thats about all i like of snow lol

been quite around here other then that work is slow iam on call now and they dont need a hostess right now .i think
    iam going to apply to a place closer to my house because i really dont like being on call i would rather know when iam working.there is a place called fox run right near my house that just opened it is for s.citizens it is so nice it is like an upscale country club they are going to be opening a resteruant there .it will be hard to leave the place i work at now after 23years the the guy who took it over 10 years
    ago is a total jerk and puts women down so bad it is hard for me to listen to him .

Carla did you mean lancaster ny i live about 20 min from there.i should my friend your web site and she thought it was awsom too .cant beleive all you do .but she is like us she keeps going too she has ms

Granni before i went on vac you asked about forteo
    yes iam on it for 6mos now i pray it helps me it,s funny
    because i posted it on the art,s site and no one knew what it was and i told my dr and she said someone has to be on it i told her she was useing me a a ginny pig lol

Julie congrats on biopsy wonderful news

jodie great for the game

rock do you have any of those berries left

mr dad those beekeenee calenders sound great dont they
    right up you alley

Lin this side of wny pretty good so far joe said we should meet sometime i thought that was a good idea it would be fun

well for anyony i left behind hi and hope things are going well .bless you all
    hugs linda garden

9. gardengirl12

gardengirl12 New Member

thank you rock for the one and linda thank you .iam a lefty and takes me time to think LOL i think i did it by accedent.
    WOW carla sounds like you got alot of stuff.

joe i do stay up late till about 1am iam a night owl
    must b e from working nights .how does that clock work
    on here.our time is 11am now

wellttyl bye bye hugs linda garden
  10. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Yea. My 'puter shows S-Pacific Standard Time! It's 8:35 a.m.

The 3 hour difference from West to East Coast. Raining today

and is to get heavier. That means that the Skier's will be

headed to the Mts. tomorrow for first real snowfall! Should

make 'um happy!

11. rockgor

Have to go see the dr. today. He is very pleasant; looks like Charles Boyer, but is from Russia, not France. He is also stubborn. If he won't give me a refill on my Rx, I will have to get another doc.

Well, at least I can get one closer to home. This one is left over from when I worked in the San Fernando Valley. That was a song back in the 50s when the valley orchards and ranches were disappearing and tract homes were being thrown up.

They cost about $20,000 then. Now, after decades of wear and tear, they cost ten or twenty times that much. Maybe more. Have to check w/ Gordon. He audits files for a mortgage company.

"And make the San Fernando Valley my home." Nice tune, huh?

Garden Girl, the berries are all gone. But this Alzheimers drives me batty. I ate half the cherry tomatoes, forgot about the rest and had to toss them. Well, today is trash day.

So you're a lefty, huh? How sinister.

I have said that to a dozen left-handers over the years. none of them ever knew what I was talking about. (If you don't, look up sinister.) The opposite is dexter.

Linda, the other Linda, well, one of the other Lindas. Haha

Is that PT helping? Don't see how it can do too much for disc herniation. Did you consult an eggspert?

Carla, I am impressed w/ anyone who can change a tire in the snow. Here's a tip a fellow gave me from the last time I changed a tire. Don't tug on those lugnuts. Can hurt the back. Use your leg muscles.

Reminds me of the time my boss and I had to change a tire. Now he was a smart man; had three academic degrees. But he had never changed a tire before. The flat tire was the front. He put the jack under the rear of the car.

As Linda says, once you get the hang of something, it becomes easy. But until then...

What is a mock turtle neck? I had some turtle necks when I was young. Also had some nifty velour shirts in the 70s that I liked. Guess I tossed/donated that stuff years ago.

Well, doesn't matter what I wear now. I look like an old man who didn't bother to get fixed up. Nobody, including me, pays any attention.

Guess I'll go back to looking for a piece of paper. First brain fog and now Alz. It is now a conditioned reflex. I pick up a piece of paper, I say this is important, I'd better put it where I can find it.

The paper immediately vanishes.

And now I must vanish. At least for a little while.

12. gardengirl12

gardengirl12 New Member

Rock no wonder when i went to catholic school the nuns
    made me use my right hand i can write with both now they thought i was evel linda garden
  13. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Did Sister Mary Gregory teach on the East Coast too? I'm a

12 year collaboration of Dominican Nuns and the Bros. of Mary
    If my left hand wasn't crippled, I'd be ambidextrous also.
    My theory is that they didn't want left handers crossing themselves as they would have the natural inclination to bless
    selves from left to right as do the Orthodox Folks (??) Just
    a theory of mine. Did ya buy many "pagan babies" going to school? Ya know, we bought lots of 'em with our 'lil pennies,
    nickels and dimes, and they never delivered a ONE!!

Oh, boy!

14. ckball

ckball New Member

My my what a 12 hour nap will do for a girl, yes I am just getting up and starting my day and Dr Phil will be on before I finish this-hehe.

Mrdad- thanks for gettin us switched over- hope the rain clears soon, how was lunch wiff the son? Any word on the boys, are the grandparents holding them hostage???

Been calander shopping while you were out? Jan 1 will be here before ya blink.

Rock - my secret tire changing method works great. First, I am only 5'3" and long on the waist, short on the legs.

So I sat on a stool, then got my big rubber mallet, yep the one that busted my finger a while back. Then postion the lug wrench and beat the living daylights out of it.

It felt so good when that first nut broke loose, but that was after I had a little talk to God. The first go around wasn't so good.

I am going to go out on a limb here and tell you a secret about me. I believe if you "see" what you want to accomplish it will work. After my talk with God, I stared at the nut and wrench and "saw" the bolt break loose as I went to hit it with the mallet.

I learned this theory in my pool playing. I was taught this theroy by a world champion pool player. For the life me I can't remember her name, I have a pic of us together. This was in the early 90's. She is a beautful tall blonde first name Eva

She told me to set up my shot then "see" it going in the pocket, it actually works. When I lived in VA I was really involved in pool leagues. The owner of the sports bar I played out of was a pro player and every year we would have a Pro-Am tournament and all the pros you saw on TV would come and play with us.

I met Steve Mizerac, Nick Varner, Johnny Archer, Eric Strickland , The Black Widow and so many more. It was very cool. They did workshops too. Now you know how I do what I do.

A mock turtleneck is a half turtleneck. It goes up but doesn't have the part that fold back down., it;s like a high ribbed neck.

Julie- I am glad your dad got home and it sounds like you have been wonder woman going from here to there and everywhere. You are a real trooper and I know you will make it to Belize. I can't believe Keira is 2 months old already, where does time go. I assume Amy has settled into to being mommy on her own and found she is better at it than she thought she was.

Jodie- I am sorry things are tough right now, but Linda is right, you just have to get up and put one foot in front of the other and have faith that it will work. Hang in there and take it slow with the new guy and just enjoy yourself, you deserve it.

Linda- your going to have buy DD a very loud alarm clock or make her sleep in her clothes so can make that bus. You have been off work 3 months?? I have been out of work for 5 years and rarely get bored,hehe. Like the Eggseprt comment. I can't wait to get all spiffed up in my new duds and shoes. It will be a LONGGGGGg day. I work at the shop form 12-5, then go to the gallery and make my rounds to the Art Center arcoss the street to get their donations, then back to my gallery at 6-9, THEN we have our Christmas party at 9, I won't be home before 11 I am sure. We play games and such. Oh reminds me I need to wrap my white elephant- any ideas on how to do that :)

Garden- I thought you lived in Lancaster PA not NY, don't know where I got cornfused but it's not hard for me. Sorry you had the puter probs, but I know how you feel. Last summer I had to save everything I could on CD's then wipe my computer hard drive clean then reload everything, it took me weeks and about drove me nuts.

See Dr Phil will be on in not time, hello to granni, darkwaters, Joan, Lacy where are you? and anyone else that I have missed. Everyone have a great day-Carla

[This Message was Edited on 12/06/2007]
  15. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

anyone remember the dickies? i had one to go w/a jumper dress in school...

i had to take cody to dr.'s today he said he has a small pea size thing that hurts in the scrotum area...dr.referred us to a urologist on monday...we could've had tomarrow at 4pm...but novato high has there big game tomarrow night at 7 pm. they want to rule out testicular cancer or an infection. cody said he doesn't need anymore bad news this year. told me last night if he has cancer then it must be his time to die....i said if caught it is a very good prognosis. i have a friend that had it and he is doing just fine...

i hope we win...then we do the waiting game to find out if we get selected for state bowl down in carson near los angeles...

maybe rock could have gordon whip up some food for the players.

it is raining here in the north bay..it is hot buttered rum time of year...

i can not believe how darn tired i get.

ck great buys on your clothes...and i hope the interview went well.

linda and ck thanks for the support. we shall get through all of this mess this year...

cody and i just want a better next year....

my male friend hasn't called me since sunday night...he told me i could call him anytime or text or just come over anytime....i don't know if he is trying to figure out if i am into him by having me call him.....i know he works full time and is going to school full time...i am a little old fashion to calling men...i don't want to come on too strong by calling him...i hate the dating game...

he did put everything out on the table for me...part me just has to learn to trust...he said he never has cheated on any women nor w/he ever..his father has been married 5x's and he was best man in the weddings.....

well maybe i will text him tonight....

you all stay dry and warm....

16. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi there Porchies,

I am alive - I think !!! There is something going on everey day and night it seems this week and I stil have so much to do. Well, here I am on the porch anyhow before I got and do something else - cards maybe. Chorale dress rehearsal tonight (with instruments and such) ot really wearing the chorale costumes or dress thank goodness., Tomorrow night is the performances and so that wil be done till January. Then I just have to concentrate on church music and everything else in this house. The tree is up with sime of the ornaments. I still can't find the anaagel or the tree skirt. Hate to go buy new ones.

Jodie - Hope all goes well with Cody and his game and the litle growth in the testicle. If there is something there it is best to get it taken care of early. Poor kidss I am sure he is depressed about not being able to play and it is sad. However, you have to try and keep his head into reality - it sure could have been alot worse but try telling that to a 17 year old or almost 18. Hope he gets an early appointment to see about his possible problem. Hope it is nothing to worry about.

I can't remember what everyoneelse sad on the last volume as well as this one.

Linda G - Yep I am on the Forteo too . However, I used to belong tone a good website online for osteoporosis and quite a few -people are on it but it is not one of the older methods of treatment for sure. However, the Fosomax and and other stuff does not necessarily work on everyone - like me and probably you too.

Hey, who was talking before about Mrs. Kalabash ?? All I remember bout that was Jackie Gleason used to say goodnight to her after each of his shows. That surely was a long time ago !!! Boy are we showing our age.

Well, have to go and do something else more productive today. Have a VERY early hair appointment tomorrow and then the program. Maybe in between I can get something done. Our Ladies Club Christmas Party is saturday night.

Julie - I am sure you feel good to be i your own bed. You surely have been through the ringer, harven't you??? Give Kiera a big kiss from al of us too. Boy, she is really betting old isn;t she???-2 mos.!!

Bye now to all Mrdad, Rock, Linda, Darkwaters, Marta, ckball and everyone else I didn't mention.

Blessings to all,
  17. ckball

ckball New Member

Most of you are aware I have been working on a foundation fundraiser.

It is called The Damon and Stella Foundation for Mental Health. It is organized by a group of artists, film industry and music industry people out of the suicide of two loved ones.

I was called today by Phillip Ivey, his son committed suicide last year. They have asked me to be on the Board of Directors. I was floored and moved to tears by the things he said to me.

They are going to do a show on Oprah next spring, they are still working things out. But they are going to pay my way to go!!! I will get to meet Oprah, they are also working on Dr Phil too. He met him several weeks ago.

They were suppose to do a Larry King segment but it got bumped because of the Brad Pitt story :-( It will come around again, just a matter of time.

I am still in shock and can't believe this but know this will be one hell of a ride! Their goals are polictal too, to change laws, insurance issues related to mental health and plan to sit in front of Congress to present it. Is that cool or what.

I have lots to do but will check in tomorrow wiff ya'll, that is if I don't fall off the cloud I am on. Have a good night-Carla
  18. rockgor

Am back from the dr. He gave me the Rx I wanted w/ no trouble. But he told me Medicare would probably not give me more than 30 days worth of pills at a time.

He thought we should do an electrocardiogram. I said we just did one a couple months ago. He said, No, that was 2 years ago.

I said we just did one, and it was the same technician who claims to be from Persia. So he called his assistant who rummaged around and found the report. Really, if you don't watch them they'll cut off the wrong leg.

Carla, your tire-changing technique sounds superb. Good thing the girls weren't helping. It would be very exciting if you appear on the Oprah show, but even if you don't you are a star to the porch gang.

MrDad, is your left hand really impaired or were you joking wiff us? Have you been doing research on tropical (hot and steamy) calendars?

Granni, tape your concert and put it on Youtube. Are there parts where we can sing along?

Linda, thank you for the definition of mock turtle shirt. Ever make the soup? I think real turtle soup sounds awful. I read the meat is rubbery.

Took me 45 min to drive 14 miles from the dr. to home. I threw a kielbasa in the crockpot. Couldn't find any potatoes, but found a big old horse carrot (that's what Gordon calls big carrots) and some celery. I have some canned potatoes from the 99 cent store I can toss in later.

Also found some apples and broccoli I didn't know were on the premises. When one has Alzheimer's life is full of little surprises.

All for now.

19. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Rocky: No. I've always been right handed! Can't do anything
    wiff my left hand. Not even "compliments". Incidentally,
    Rock, Mrs. Kalabash is actually spelled with a "C", Calabash.
    Should we tell them the origin or see ifin' Linda C. wants
    to see ifin' her Father or Mother remembers? I looked up the
    whole story behind that on "Google" last night. Very interesting!

The 'Lil Guy's are home from oHIo! They stayed an extra week
    to spend more time with Grand and Great Grand Parents. We won't have to pay a ransom after all! Good thing, right?
    I was about ready to turn in my wheat pennies to get them bac!
    What's that copper worth now? Dad's flyin' out to Arizona tomorrow to attend his Aunt's '50th B'Day celebration! I met
    Auntie a few years back, offered to go to Arizona in His place. Auntie is VERY ATTRACTIVE!!!!

Carla-CK: We are all so proud and excited for you! Even tho
    Oprah fouled up my makeover, I still respect Her willingness
    and ability to help others. GOOD going Carla!

Linda: Are the "Folks" home yet for the holidays? It would sure be great ifin' you two Linda's could get together at
    some point soon.

I'm headed North to a Remembrance for the "Old Squeeze" on
    Monday. Intend to be bac in SF by Wednes. or Thurs. Gonna
    go up via Amthrax me thinks. We have a "big memorial party"
    as was Her request at Her home on N.Y.'s Eve. I'll go bac up for that at that time. Gonna spend Xmas close to Home with Family and Friends!

Oh, Linda! I think we can get Mom on Letterman for that
    "Human Tricks" segment! I still remember the guy who stopped an electric fan that was set at full speed with his tongue. How does one get about to attempting that trick for the FIRST time?

I'll be bac later Kids, K?
  20. ckball

ckball New Member

Thank you for being so supportive and happy for me. It just seems a lot of things have just fallen in place and it feels right. I can't really explain it.

We talked and laughed and cryed for 2 hours, there is so much more but I will hold back for now, don't want to jinx it :)

I had a nice long soak in the tub and tryed to "soak" it all up and how your life can change in a moment and you need to be ready for it.

You never know I may get to pick you up on the private jet one day and we would all have a real party in the sky.

Bed time is here a longgggggggg day tomorrow so I need my beauty sleep. Good nite Mrs Calabash- thanks for the history lesson linda :) Carla