Porchlight is on Vol 174 (Closed)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mrdad, Jan 17, 2008.

1. mrdad

mrdad New Member

OK----We're here!

[This Message was Edited on 01/19/2008]
  2. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I went ahead at this late hour to start a new Thread and
    Vol. in hopes of doing it while it is slo-o-ow!

B. Obama was here in Town today about two blocks away! I told
    my room mate (who is a big fan) and he went over and got a couple of Pics as Mr Obama was entering a building for a meeting. I didn't go. I saw B. Clinton twice and LBJ once!
    Still wish to see Jimmy Carter some time as I have a great deal of respect for a man who "walks the walk". He can build one of those Lil old houses for me anytime he wishes! I already told you Kids the story about LBJ and the Limo in

Anyway, waiting for Bill Gates to come to Town so I can tell him how he fouled up my MAC wiff his Microsoft "add on improvements". Never had any problems wiff my 'Puter and
    now I'm just like Rocky and so many others. Wew!!! Oh, did I
    mention LBJ yet???

Kathleen, do hope that you have a relaxing and comfortable
    B'Day tomorrow! A most happy one too.

NOTICE: The owner of the "bee-Kee-knee" top left at the Party has not yet been located! We may have to do one of those
    Cinderella searches like the hansom Prince did wiff the Slipper. Should be interesting. Stay tuned---

[This Message was Edited on 01/17/2008]
  3. mrdad

mrdad New Member

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Cute joke, Joe.

I don't recall your LBJ and the limo story. But I have one from the 60s about Joan Sutherland and a limo. After a performance of Lucia de Lamermoor, she was leaving the opera house in a limo w/ her conductor husband.

The cop directing traffic motioned for her limo to go ahead. Then when he saw who was in it, he went over to get an autograph. Apparently no one had any paper. Being a quick thinker, he pulled the cardboard out of his cap and Dame Joan signed that.

(I helped w/ the performance. I was an usher. Didn't have to buy a ticket. In those days a ticket for a Met performance cost $5.)

Sounds like you had a nice birthday on and off the board. Hope Kathleen does the same.

My crockpot soup is done, I think. Will have to bring some to the porch. Didn't have any navy beans so I substituted navy potatoes.

Oh, yes. My soup is not only done, it is absolutely da-voon. Got the recipe from the crockpot thread.

Happy trails, Buckaroos.

5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm sooooo happy to find a short thread, unlike seamstresses. I brought hot muffins and yummy hot Kona coffee. Can you tell I'm cold?? I'd love some of that hot blue soup, Rock.

Mrdad, if that bee-kee-knee top has yellow polka dots on it, it's mine. :>/ Got a little carried away with the late night crowd after your birthday party but I'd already changed into my snowsuit.

So Kathleen's birthday is today! Again, happy birthday, Kathleen. I see we have green and yellow balloons and streamers all around the Lodge and the Irish band is already warming up.

We're in for a super-cold weekend here in MI. I swear I don't recall a harder winter - although I'm sure we had one or ten. I hope to see you all later. I'll bring my gee-tar.

Hugs to every Porchie,

6. ckball

ckball New Member

and Happy Birthday to Kathleen. I hope your day will bring you joy and peace.

I don't have time for a post, getting ready to go to the shop to work today. The back or leg should I say is feeling a little better.

I did get the broom out yesterday to capture all the furry things floating all over my floors and my back was not happy, so I have to know my limits.

Hope everyone has a great day and will see ya later-Carla
  7. rockgor

This computer is getting ornerier and ornerier. Took me five minutes to look up "ornerier". What a word! It's easier to spell Mississippi. Especially if you come from Minnesota.

The latest development is that the computer, or Yahoo, or somebody, has decided I have to sign in multiple times per day to read e mails. Posting a message is like cleaning out the Augean stables.

Took me a while to figure out what you meant by "blue soup", Marta. "Shade of blue" is a crossword clue. The answer is usually sky or navy as in navy bean.

How long will it take you to finish your quilt, Georgia? Is it a famous pattern like wedding ring or 8 pointed star? Quilts were very common when I was a kid. Don't think many people have them anymore.

Our neighbors were an old couple. She made quilts and rag rugs. She had an enormous loom to make the rugs. The husband was about 90. He still repaired shoes. They kept sheep and chickens inside the village limits which annoyed my father.

But then everything annoyed him. The only two things he approved of in life were booze and sports.

Gordon took the Ipod to work, Linda. He's going to ask the tech boys about it.

Where is Jodie? Haven't heard from her for a bit. Hi Granni and Sis and Joan and everydobby. Better quit before this all blows up in my visage. (Another word from the crossword puzzles.)

8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Another busy day,

Just got back from going shopping in the rain with DH. Have to wait again for the floor guy to come in a short while So have to go fix a quick lunch and then get ready for him (another K of C member and friend) to come. Last time he worked on the wooden floors. This time to seal the grout in the Master bath and then hopefully hew can get to the rug.. I hope it will dry quickly since we will need to go in there to sleep tonight.

Hi there Rock, Mrdad (hope you survived all the b day activities,), Georgia, Linda, Marta, CK et all. Just wamted to check to see if all was well on OUR porch.

kathleen hope you have a great day today and some neat b-day surprises for you.

I'm outa here for now. Will check later. Didn't really read all the posts very well. Sorry if I missed anything on anyone. Hope to see YC1 and Monica on here later too.

YC1 is a new gal who finally found us yesterday. She will need a big welcome . Linda ans I have already welcomed her and told her where her rocking chair and blankies were.

Lots of hugs,

[This Message was Edited on 01/18/2008]
  9. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Oh, and hell---o Bill Gates!

Kathleen: Do hope your special day is starting out well. A
    most HAPPY BIRTHDAY to YOU!!

Rocky: Is Gordon having a problem wiff His ipod? My daughter
    has hers fall off the roof of her car and cracked it! Sent it
    away to a Guy who puts them back together with salvaged pieces
    from other iPods. Let me know and maybe I can get his address.

Marta: I should have known that it was your "Bee-kee-knee"
    top left behind at my B'Day Party! ALL THOSE DOTS!!!
    Reminds me of when FORBES was runnin' for President and pro-
    posing a "Flat Tax". The "Old Squeeze" said, "Oh, so I guess
    their going to TAX ME for being THAT now!! Why don't they TAX
    the girls taking up all the room"? (I had to explain it to her). Oh, boy!!

Hello to awl, I'll be bac later, "K"?
  10. laceymae

laceymae New Member

I noticed it was Kathleen's B-day...Happy Birthday to you.

Rock...lightening came thru the phone line and zapped my modem...I could still use the puter, but no internet. Now what good was that to me.

I am hibernating this weekend, coldest temp's so far this weekend. Hope everyone stays warm and dry...

CKBall...you could have opened an ice skating rink in your yard...Zero is looking mighty cold.

hope everyon is well...gotta get back to the laundry.

11. kylob

kylob New Member

I just want to say thank you to all of my porch buddys, for all the well wishes and prayers....Lin kept me up to date on all of you and your messages

I am finally feeling better....have bronchitis, which was making me cough and with my asthma, wheeze...now I am on a codeine cough syrup as well...I really thought that I would pop my staples...Today is better...

A friend sent me a edible expression basket, that was filled with fruit dipped in chocolate....the grapes and oranges were my favorites....Lots of calories, but I figure each coughing episode burns about 50 or so calories!!!!

Joe - Happy Belated birthday!!!! Sorry I missed the party...Lin told me it was a great time....I took an extra dose of cough syrup in your honor!Your surfing with the ironing board story made me laugh so hard, I coughed for an hour.

Rock - the soup sounds wonderful...my Dad loved to make soups...Navy bean and pea were his favorites...A big hello to Gordon.

Marta - thanks for the well wishes...I can't believe you wore a bee kee knee to Joes party!!!You go girl!!!!

Carla - hope your back is feeling better....take it easy!

Darkwaters - I have problems keeping live plants alive...I have a few silk arrangenents and a shamrock plant...I got advice from Rock, to transplant the shamrock in a new pot , with new soil and it is looking good.

Jodie - hope school is going well and Cody is recovering .

Kathleen - Happy Birthday!!!!

Granni, Georgia, Joan, and anyone else that I have missed because of the codiene...thanks for the well wishes!!!Kylob
  12. laceymae

laceymae New Member

glad you are recovering. The basket sounds wonderful.

I remeber years ago my granni would make cough syrup...it was made with whiskey and a few more ingredients. All the grandkids would burn a lot of calories coughing so we could have of granni's brew.

13. Granniluvsu

I decided to come and check out the porch again. The guy who was supposed to come ended up with some kind of an emergency with 2 flooded houses. Don't know what that was from or anything so we wait again. It wasn't his fault as he is giving us a break in the price. However, I am getting tired of looking at the dirty spots on some of the rugs.

Kylob - I am so glad to see you on the porch today and to hear that your coughing is letting up. Hope your healing goes quickly. I know how it hurts to cough and not even with staples trying to hold my skin together. Yes, that edible basket sounded wonderful too.

Laceymae -I loved that story about your granni and her home brewed cough syrup. I'll bet that stuff was strong. Give some to the babies too to help them sleep the night through (-: !!! Hope you are doing OK too.

Rock - I must have missed your soup recipe. What was it? Everyone seems to be loving it!! I have to check the lst volume or so.

Kathleen - Hope you are surviving your b-day today and that all is going well. Hope you also get to do something special for your big day.

Linda - so glad that you have a supportive doctor who will go along with you. That is GREAT !!! Did he fill out any papers or give you any note supporting your possibly getting SSD?

Georgia - I would love to see your quilts. I didn't grow up in the area for making quilts but I think they are so pretty. I have friends that have made them and have some made from people in their family way back when. There is lots of handstiching - just lovely !! hope your fingers and hands don't bother you to much with loving to do quilting.

Jodie - Hope school is going well for you so far.

YC1 - Where are you hding, in the bushes today or are you just busy.

Hi also to Monica, Bev, Marta, Joan, and everyone else that may be hiding in the bushes today. Hope I didn't forget to many people.

Blessings to all,

14. mrdad

mrdad New Member

HAPPY that you are finally back wiff us!! We did miss you so

much! Sorry too that you missed the wonderful B'Day party

the PORCH KIDS threw "POR MOI". I'm sure that my next B'Day

will be of equal fun in 2010! Get well quickly, "K"?

15. mrdad

mrdad New Member

It's great to see you on the PORCH! Sounds like all is going

well down there for the Mission Work. How wonderful!

I do hope that you are enjoying the warmth between all the

fine work you are doing! You must feel as you've been trans-

planted to a different planet. Kudos for all the selfless

and fine efforts you are making! WE miss you.

16. Granniluvsu

You surely got that right Mrdad. We do miss you and your missionary work is so selfless and must be SO very rewarding !

Glad that you got to take at least a short time off with Den for some quiet reflection.

God bless you for all you are doing !!

I am sure that all your work is very much needed and appreciated.

[This Message was Edited on 01/18/2008]
  17. ckball

ckball New Member

Hi Kylob glad to see you back on the porch and you are recovering, sorry about the bronchititis. That has happened to me after 2 different surgeries. Is there a link to surgery and bronchitis? Hope you are back and running around soon.

Julie so glad you had a moment to check in from under the world. I'm glad you got a break and can imagine what it must be like down there. Here we will be in the single digits this weekend.

Linda glad your dr helped you out

I got the mri results and it is a lateral bulge, even tho the CT says herniation, so not sure what to think. Dr called and said ....surprise ..PT. Which I will do at home, the PT place is too far, co-pays are high and takes too much of my time getting there and back,ect.

I can do the same excersise at home, plus I have the whirlpool, which helps and I will start walking slowly. The pain has decreased, only had a few "ow" moments at work today, usually when I turn my body and not my feet to walk in another direction.

My brain is tired, came home and played with the girls, I left them home alone today. Then rested awhile but still am just tired. So I will sign off for now and shout out to all for now and see ya later-Carla
  18. rockgor

Granni, the recipe is on the crockpot thread started by Lincamp. It's titled Cabbage and bean soup. I saw your recipe for porkchops w/ cream of mushroom soup. Sounds good to me. My dad used to use mushroom soup when he made scalloped potatoes.

The problem, MrDad, is w/ me, not the Ipod. I don't know how to use it. It is too high tech for my damaged and aging brain.

How come your next birthday will be in 2010? Were you born in a semi-leap year?

Kylob, I hope you stop coughing and heal up soon. God Bedring as the Norskies say.

Julie, I saw on the net that Belize is the only country in Latin America that has English as its official language. Remember when Dan Quayle went to Latin America. "I only wish I could speak Latin."

Can you post pics from your trip?

Time to go to my Emotions Anonymous meeting. Hugs to all.

19. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Cabbage Soup? What was wrong wiff my Beef Stew recipe???

Is so easy too!!

20. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I think you must be hangin' around me too much! You're beating me at my own shstic! Tres Bien!