Porchlight is on Vol. 178 (Closed)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Jan 30, 2008.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Okay, Kids

Rosin on the bow and here we go.
    First two couples, forward and back.
    Side couples, forward and back.

Men to the center, form a star.
    Ladies to the center, backs to the bar.

Chase that chipmunk, chase that squirrel.
    Grab your gal, give her a twirl.

All to the center, as light as foam,
    Take your partner and lead her home.

The proceedings may now commence to begin.

[This Message was Edited on 02/04/2008]
  2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Did you ever square dance in any compacity? I say that because now there is alot more to it that you realize. About 10 years ago we square danced. it startts with "graduating from "Basic, then to Mainstream, then Plus and then Advanced and then Challenge. We got up to the Advanced level and that could be confusing enough.

We stopped when we moved up here "to the lake" as the drive was way tolon, esp at night. The traffic was horrible into Houston during rush hour. DH loved it more than I (the Advanced). My brain could not work that hard. I would have liked to continue just the maistrream andPlus and could have done so up here but he didn't want to. Oh well, we are busy enough for sure.

Gee the Porch is slow today. I have toget ready to go into Houston with DH with some of the KC's for a n anniversary at one of the schools.

Hope eeryone is OK and not get blasted with cold snow, rain and the lake. Ok today but cool enough esp at night and early morning.

Keep up your poetry Rock and your "callin".

Hugs !

I love you little call, very cute !!
  3. rockgor

Yes, we did lots of square and folk dancing when I was a teen.
    We had a dance every week during the summer in the H.S. gym. Someone would run thru the steps before each dance to remind folks how it should go. Kids and adults joined in; very popular.

On Sat night we had a band concert in the park. I played the flute (badly). The popcorn stand was open. Had been in the family for 3 generations. Have no idea if it's still there.

Our generation was the first to dance to rock and roll. And tv and all sorts of appliances were new. And the country was prosperous after the depression and war years.

And the future looked even more promising.

A long time ago and all very different.

4. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

The weatherman was right!~ The wind was sooooo terrific last night and ALL night that it was hard to sleep. we had bloweing snow for a while, then just blowing and -35 wind chill. us "old fools" had to go to the coffee shop to hear what was going on and all we heard was "wind blow so hard....". Anyway, we had aw good time and got the mail.

I finally got my Christmas present from DH,. a leather jacket./ Both of the others that we ordered were too small, or else I am too big."

Did i hear someone mention Houston? It has to be better weather than here! Our granddaughter and her family just got back from Disney World and the weather wasn't exactly like spring. It has been soooo long sincde we have been there and probably won't ever go again. Epcot wasn't finished when we werer last there. But the original part is stillo magical to me!!!

I have missed 4 continuous choir rehearsals and I promised i would go tonight. We have always sung anthems that I almosgt know by heart so igt was OK on Sunday but------i hate missing them, then singing on Snday. It has always been some awful weather night and what is tonight? cokld, cold, cold.

No good ideas for soup? i need to make some.

My hands hurt as yaou can tell by my awful typios!! Well, I hope that you got the ideas

Gentle hugs and blessings to you all,

5. ckball

ckball New Member

I haven't squared danced since grade school. Thanks for gettin us started. In case anyone missed the last one- Julie is back-YEAH, I think it does call for a barn dance.

I am glad your are back and you have been missed but probably not as much as you missed that little girl. I am sure it will take you awhile to get caught up or is your schedule already planned for the next month?

Jinlee- the thing about the porch is there is no pain here, we can dance and sing and swing from chandliers, that is only happened once, maybe twice.

So join in anytime you like.

Granni I got my fingers crossed Sat goes off without a hitch. Maybe we get Jerome to take care of your hubby for the day, or maybee Guido if Joe doesn't have him tied up somewhere.

What are you up to today MrD? There should be plenty of Minisoda gals out there now. I saw where it was like -17 there today.

Joan I don't know how you all stand all that cold and snow. Good luck with your choral on Sun

I spent another day playing in paint and pencils and no success. I played with the girls, finally got Missy to roll over, Twy needs a lot of encouragement still.

I'm going to watch Law & Order and call it a night so a hello of everydobby and hope your your warm and dry. Carla
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

You have another career waiting for you if you want it. I haven't square-danced since grade school. All that dosey doeing and twirling around used to make me dizzy but it was fun.

Granni, I hope you have a good time today. Yes, let's get Jerome to help you after he plows the driveway and clears off the path to the Porch.

Joan, sounds about as cold there as it is here. In my car this morning it said it was 13. IN THE CAR. (Maybe the thermostat is outside the car but it was still cold.) We have a forecast of up to a foot of snow beginning tonight so I got my car washed. That made sense when I did it because the car was a mess of yucky salt slush from last week - and the car wash is right beside the gas station. Hopefully, my doors will open next time I need to get in.

Carla, watercolor isn't the medium for me either. Have you tried oil pastels? They're wonderful to work with and can be dampened for a different look. I have some that my grandfather used to use - and that was 1,000 years ago. I assume they're still made - and somewhat affordable.

I'm DEElighted to get here before the Porch gets crowded.

Hugs to everyone, near and far,

7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Good to see you back, my friend!

Naw, don't bother with who said what to whom or deleting posts. Just sit here on the Porch with us and have a good time.

Hey, Joe!!! Hey, Everydobby!!!!!!!Linda's back!!!!! We all missed you.

Don't you love it when computers work like they're supposed to? Pull up your chair and I'll tell you about the Geeks.

Since I cannot spell today, I'm stopping while I'm a head.

[This Message was Edited on 01/31/2008]
  8. Granniluvsu

Just a very quick hi to all. Just wanted to mention also to a few of my dear porchies who were thinking the party fo DH was today or tomorrow. It isn't tiill saturday afternoon. I will be glad when it is all over with. Did not have the chance to really read the posts very well. So will have to go back later on.

Welcome back again and I think to Mrdad. I have been on and off ( and my mind has been too) so I am not sure what is happening. I thought Linda mentioned he had been gone or maybe it was someone else besides her.

Just know I love you all and forgive any and all typos. I speed type and then do not check sometimes.

9. Granniluvsu

I think it was Julie who came back from her trop to Belize. I am sure she will have lots of tales to tell. God bless her for her mission work.

It is beddy time and I took my meds a bit ago. So, I guess I need to leave now.

Julie - Hope to hear from you soon on your trip. Yes, and we did miss you too (-: !!

Bye for now Julie and everyone else too.

Blessings and hugs,

10. mrdad

mrdad New Member

It's the first of the month so I suppose everyone is busy to-
    day. It stopped raining here but is cool when the sun goes be-
    hind the clouds. Julie, so sorry to hear about your friend Roger. It's so tragic especially after just returning from
    such a successful Mission for the Church. I'm sure that you
    are happy to be home to the Kids and comforting enviroment.

Linda, if I remember right, you have some Doctor stuff today
    and hope all goes well there. Let us know.

Rock, any big plans for the weekend or are you just going to
    hang out and talk to us? Stopped raining down there also I
    would guess.

A big HEY to Marta, Lila , "Cookie"(Granni), CK and all others I've missed! "Talk" to ya awl later, "K"?
  11. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

How appropriate, to call us in to square, I am getting ready to put on some boots, and go to the San Antonio Rodeo.

It is so much fun, they have square dancers galore.

So I don't have time to sit today, so hello to all of you.

Rodeo stories a comin'

12. Granniluvsu

Hi to all,

I wrote a post and I know I pushed the wrong button and off it went - into the wild blue younder !!!

Bevy - Have fun at the Rodeo. They can be alot of fun and the square dancing to. We did that afor years but probbly couldn't do "basic" anymore.

Maybe I can really thin straight if DH surprise party turns out well tomorrow. Please pray that all goes well. No more of those for me, I can tell you. To many curves thrown by others, inc DH .

Hi Rock, Mrdad, Linda, CK and everyone else I can't remember at the moment.

Hugs and blessings to you all,

13. ckball

ckball New Member

Granni I just posted a long kechup post and as I was finishing up my computer screen froze to white and I lost everything. I do hope your party was a real surprise,

So now I am just going to say hello and I am going back to the drawing board today to work on my paintings for my art show in 2 weeks.

I had 2 longgggggggg 12 hours days back to back and my hips are killing me.

Julie I am sorry about your friend, so sad, but he did finish his commitment and I admire you for all you do.

Hello toMrdad, Rock, Linda, Marta, Sweetie, Lacey, Bevy, Barry, Joan and all the peepers too. Gonna go before it fades to white again. It has been a long time since that has happened, so hopefully it was just a freak thing. Take care-BBL-Carla
  14. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Lets get this "bumped up" where peeps can see it! Hope all
    are doing well today and have their Super Bowl bets made by
    now! I'll check in with ya awl later, "K"?

15. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Are we all ready for the Super Bowl, commercials? I understand that there may be a football game in between
    for many of those who like to watch the sport. Like me.

Weather report out here in "Kaliphonia" is soon to be dis-
    appointing to those more amenable to the Wet and Cold! A
    prediction of drier, "warmer" weather is forecast. Oh boy.
    It means I can perhaps get back to my exercise walk to the
    park each day and get those 'binoculars out of my desk again!

I've been wanting to take that "Amthrax" Train from the Bay
    Area across the Sierra in winter on into Reno. Nev. It would
    be absolutely gorgeous on a clear day to be atop those mountains with a panoramic vista! However, this week two
    trains became strained in the snow up there and many had to
    wait for rescue for hours and hours onto the following day.
    The Donor Party, looking up from below, thought that train
    was an unexpected "meal from above"!

Think I'll wait to do that trip in the Spring!

[This Message was Edited on 02/03/2008]
  16. Marta608

Marta608 Member

This is just a quick note to say hi to everyone.

17. Granniluvsu

Greetings to all,

So glad that party is over with. All went well considering there were some hairy moments on when he was going to show up. Thanks goodness he arrived only about 15 minutes late and he was VERY surprised !!!! Now I just have to finish cleaning up the mess - most is gone except to give back the stuff I borrowed from people like tables, chairs, coffee maker, etc. and then pay the bill for the food which will gome nedu month. That is a god things. Also DH said he would help me pay for it , which is GREAT !!! Neither he or I have have had a surprise party and I dont remember that many actual parties either really, other than just family and few when I became a teenager..

Guess everyone is starting to watch all the Super Bowl stuff. I don't really care other than half time and some of th adds. DH wants me to watch some with him so I guess I have to. Whoopie !! Now if the Texans were in it (maybe one of these years) I might get a bit more interested. Glad at least they did better than last year(-: !! My girls are all gung ho football and most sport fans, even more than my son and he played football most of his life in school - not college though. He does like playoffs though if he doesn't have something else he has to do.

CK - Believe me I do understand when you lost your nice long post, either by my mistake or the dump ccomputer freezing like you say. Talk about frustrating.

Hi there to Marta, Mrdad, Rock, Ckball, Bevy, Sweetie, Lacey, Jens and Jodie !!!

Has anyone heard from Jens and Jodie? Hope Jodie is doing OK in school and not having to many problems along the way , any more medical distractions, etc.

Bye for how. It looks like everyone is already ready for the Super Bowl to start !! Getting their food reaady or traveling somplace to visit while watching the game, entertaining guests. We're not doing anything. Had our big dinner OK with ribs made buy the K of C . We have lots of little things left over if we want to snack on during the game.

Blessings and hugs,

18. rockgor

Ok, Linda, I'm all done dancin'; at last for awhile. Dave Barry says if you go to a party or a wedding reception and people are dancing,

and you think you don't dance so well,

get up and dance anyway. Have fun!

Yes, I saw the post about people misbehaving and having multiple identities. I feel I should probably confess. I use two names to post: my other ID is MRDad.

This means I have to travel back and forth between LA and San Francisco, but I feel the illusion is worth the trip.

Carla, did you take a course/read a book on dog training. My mother was wonderful at teaching dogs and cats tricks. Of course she was a lousy mother, but nobody can do everything well.

I trained a cat to jump up on a chair and tap the doorknob when it wanted to go outside. One day we were in the bedroom, and it jumped on the dresser and tapped the doorknob.

This shows the ability to generalize, a fundamental component of intelligence.

Never heard of oil pastels, Marta. Did you use them; can you post a picture?

Looked on the net for some rodeo jokes, Bevy. Couldn't find any I can post here. My aunt came to visit about 30 years ago. We took here to Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. Have a picture of her walking down the sidewalk. Just behind her is ZsaZsa Gabor.

Waiting for a report on the birthday party, Marilyn.

Anybody gotten an e mail from Jodie? She's been away quite a while.

Happy Trails to all

19. Granniluvsu

Guess you were posting while I was posting mine or something cause my was right above yours.

Thanks for asking. The party really went really very well. Now just tryig to clean up from it, do some extra washing, remaking beds from guests (d#4, dH and GS). Still need to vacuum but will probably do that tomorrow. I am to pooped to do so today.

Bye for now. DH wants me to come and watch some of the "Stupid Bowl" game (-: !!!That is what some of us gals used to call it when we were growing up. I know many diehards are anxious for their teams to win. May the best team win. I guess everyone or almost everyone expects the Patriots to win. I think that is who is playing the "New York Football Giants" as Howard Cosell used to say.

See y'all later. If the game is horrible or after half time (-: !!

Have fun cheering anyway and eating the food, drinking the drinks and chatting with the people at the party - IF ANYONE IS GOING TO A SUPER BOWL PARTY". We went to SB Parties for quite a few years in a row and then the people decided not to do it any more. It was fun. Oh, they also moved away.

20. Granniluvsu

Julie- So glad that you are back again adn at least trying to get things in order again. What a great and colorful picture of you and Miss Jenny. Yes, that is a terrible thing about these cultures that still beating up on their wives, and many apparently for not much reason. They just don't want to lose their power over her and will not let her (them) forget it. Glad you are back and you family is together again !!

How did you ever get your picture on you bio.? The directions that I saw did not seem to easy for me. However, anything of a technical nature is surely not very easy for me. I need everything spelled out really clear ! I have earned alot on the computer by myself really but there is still a whole lot I am sure I do not know.. When our son shows us anything he goes to fast and then doesn't understand why I want him to go slowly so I can write things down.

If you can explain to me sometime how to post a picture on our bio and if you have any time, please do (-: !!

Guess everyone else is watching the game. It is SOOO close - 3-7 !

Someone else came on the porch just now or before this post but I can't remember. Was it Linda or CK? oR someone else-hmmm??

Back later. Just wanted to say hi and so glad you are back from Belize. Thaat would be quite an education in itself, for anyone else who went there esp in the US where everyone takes to much for granted.

Hugs to you all and cutie Kiera,