Porchlight is On Vol 185 (DONE)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mrdad, Feb 18, 2008.

1. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Hey Kids! Yep! We're on a new Post already. Please go back

and visit Vol 184 ifin' ya haven't read the last few Posts

as of yet! Hope you're all havin' a great Day!

[This Message was Edited on 02/18/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/20/2008]
  2. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Wow, that one went fast. I am sitting here at work taking a break away from work to say hello and i hope you all are having a wonderful day.

It was so weird this morning. It was so sunny at 7:30 a.m. driving into work and very nice. Well, at 8:30 i looked out my office window and there was a blizzard going on. I am not kidding.

There was snow all over the ground and the wind was blowing harder than i have seen it blow in a while. Well, 5 minutes later it just stopped. Ten minutes later the sun came back out and now it is beautiful again, and all the snow is gone. Weird

Again, keep bringing the sun my way MRDAD.
  3. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Very slow on the Porch and the Board in general. Must be the
    Holiday.(?)(?) Anywho, Mickey went to work today and still
    was able to show up on the Porch. Any other worker bees out
    there today?

Just got back from the Park walk. Not a great day out there.
    The Sun was out but the fog was in the air to keep things
    cool. Surprised to see so many people there, but it is Monday
    and many of the young people working in the service industry
    have Monday's off of work. Storm front is headed into the
    Bay Area tonight so off and on rain into the weekend. It was
    nice to get a break and the plum and cherry trees are in
    bloom. Always a hopeful sign isn't it?

Guido says he found me a great deal on hamburger patties
    from Southern "Kaliphonia"! At a dollar a lb., I told him
    to get me a hundred lb. case. Gonna fix you awl a wonderful BBQ here at the PORCH this Spring! Maybe a 'lil
    Tex-Mex! What do you think Granni? Oh, Granni, Eric Estrada
    wants to fly me down to look at an investment opportunity
    in White Bluff, Tx. So I might be stopping in to see you
    and Hubby for Lunch. I'll keep ya posted!! Wonder ifin'
    it is anywhere near White Water? Or, is that in Arkansas?
    You can't go wrong on real estate ya know!

Well, have ta go down to the Laundry Matt and get my clothes
    out of the drier. (If they are still there) Ya know what I'm

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

is a computer;
    a comic book;
    a valley, hollow, glen, etc.

Similar to the old hymn: Come to the church in the vale.

You could move the farmer to the vale and the church to the dell w/o making any substantial change.

I am doing further research to verify my theory that the farmer's name was Wendell O'Dell. He used to run a dellicatessen, but opted for an outdoor life where he could build up his puny, dellicate constitution.

He grows lots of dellicacies on his farm, his son is no longer a dellinquent, and the whole family is dellirious w/ happiness.

Mrs. O'Dell has a big bed of dellphiniums. Doncha just love a happy ending? Makes me dellirious.

5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

You came awake for that one! We'll have to revive that "On

the Road" trip idea.(?) Pretty clever!

[This Message was Edited on 02/18/2008]
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

or I should say Good Through The Night All - another 4am and wide awake.

Rock - I know the song 'The Farmer in The Dell', it is American isn't it? The farmer wants a wife and she wants a dog and so on...

Sorry I'm too pooped to continue..........lol........see you all later.

7. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Another day another dollar. Ha. Yes, i made it to work again and taking a break again. Yesterday was Presidents Day so that is probably why there was so many people off work Joe, my kids were out of school too.

Oooh, a Spring Barbeque sounds wonderful. I will bring pasta salad and a fruit salad.

Lin, so sorry you didn't make it to work yesterday, i hope you are feeling better today. How was your "medical Massage", sounds wonderful.

Lydia, sounds like you really are getting a blizzard, wow. I definetly wouldn't even try to come into work if it was like that here. I bet that apple crisp was delicious, especially with the ice cream.

Rockgor I always sang the Farmer in the Dell like this:

The Farmer in the Dell, the Farmer in the Dell, Hi Ho, the cherio, the Farmer in the Dell. I am sure that is not right but that was how we sang it when we were kids. I guess everyone has their own way of singing it.

Rosie, i hope you get some naps today, sounds like you had a rough night. Take Care
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

A new day has dawned in Michigan - actually, it dawned quite awhile ago; I'm just acknowledging it. We have a new layer of snow to add to the other layers and extreme cold again.

I can't remember if I mentioned that the record for snow in MI was in 1942 with 83" and as of Friday, the day the snow removal crews were whining, we'd had 73". Now we can add two inches to that which would be.............uh.............75. My brain is really crankin' 'em out today!

Joe, you did your usual good job of turning on the porch light. I, too, will have to pass on the Tex Mex but I will bring some veggie burgers for those who'd rather avoid cow.

Mickey, glad you could sit out the mini-blizzard yesterday and got back to do it again today. At the lab yesterday, the tech took one look at the order and said, Sounds like you might have CFS too. And she was working! I can't understand how people can work feeling like we do. She said she works and sleeps, and that her hubby does the work. I suppose...

Linda, I'm glad you took the day off - if you did it by choice and not because you couldn't move. I've never had anything but a "medical massage", I don't think... unless you count....never mind. Feel better soon.

Julie, you gotta stay outta those snow gutters. Get in 'em and you could end up in Tallahassee - which might not be so bad, come to think of it....

Rock, I enjoyed your explanation of the dell and the vale. Rosie's comment reminds me that we sang it differently: we sang "Hi ho the dario...." or wait. It just occurred to me that maybe that should be dairy-o. Perhaps the farmer was a dairy farmer. It's important that we get these things right, u no. I hear they're collecting feral cats in LA to catch mice in the City. I hope none of your fuzzy people come up missing.

Rosie, have you tried eating no sugar? That's what I finally found to let me sleep past 3 or 4 a.m. But, boy, do I miss the treats! I even got a package of Sugar Free Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches - that I got home and saw it had 4 gr. of sugar in it as well as 4 gr. sugar alcohol. Who are they kidding?? me. I ate one and, sure enough, I was OO at 3:30 a.m. again, even with a sleep med. Very odd and very frustrating. There MUST be a reason for this.

Hugs all around the porch, to those warm and those cold,

9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I hope it has gotten warm enough for some of you so you can meet again on the Porch. it looks like some of you are probably still thee trying to thaw out. My, this weather has been brutal for some of you !! I can't even stand our weather and it is nothing likt the subfeezing and sub sero some of you all have had and still having.

God grief JULIE, and others how do you all get about? I guess you are all used to it (sort of). You would think I would have been after growing up in NY but also my memory is not that good and I am alot older. DH and I left with the girls to go to LA and then TX over 30 years ago.

I do remember the snow shoveling, and the big hassle just to get your cars wither out of the garage or getting them ready to at least start and TRY and get someplace.

Rosie - I think you are correct as I remember it - The Farmer in the Dell, The Farmer in the Dell, Hi ho the cherio the Farmer in the Dell.

Then it goes on to The Farmer takes a wife, the farmer takes a wife, hi ho the cherio the farmer takes the wife.

Then it is the wife takes the child followed by the child takes nurse, the nurse takes something or another I can't remember wnat. Then there is a mouse in the ending with the mouse takes the cheese and then the cheese stands alone. I can't remember what comes right after the nurse. I don't think she took the mouse. Dose anyoe else remember Rock/Joe/ any of you OLD people like me (-: ??? That really got me to thinking. Thanks for the brain teaser Rosie. BTW my middle name is Rose and so was my aunt. Hope you get a good nap in today.

Mrdad - thanks again for starting us up again. Hey, what ever happend to SMG? I haven't seen her or heard about her in a long time???? I figured you might know something (-: !!

Linda - Sorry you were feeling bad enough not to go into work today. Hope someday soon things will be sorted out so you can stay home. I can't imagine having to into work with all the responsibilities nurses have these days and the shortages of them. I know I used to be one , in the dark ages (-: !!

CKball - Hope you have survived all your hard work and show lately and caught up on your sleep. Not that any of us ever do !

Mickey - Hope you are surviving also your bad weather. Geez it is a challange every day just to get TO work..

Gotta run right now and finsih my waashes.

Thinking of you all inc those not mentioned - esp Joan (and her dh ), Marta, Sweetie, Georgie, Jim Boob, Mary Ellen, Ben, John Boy and everyone else too !!

Blessings to all,

10. Granniluvsu

Here are the words if anyone is interested like Julie and Maybe Rock and some of us OLD folks !! The beginning is in my last post.

I was correct on most of what I mentioned before.except it was Hi ho the derr-io instead oc cherrio.

After The child takes the nurse, the nurse takes a dog, then the dog takes the cat and the cat takes a rat, the rat (not the mouse) takes the cheese and the cheese stands alone.

Now aren't you all glad I told you that (-: !! I am sure you would all have been worrying about it all night. Anyway, I was curious so I thought I would pass it on.

[This Message was Edited on 02/19/2008]
  11. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Yeah!!! Thank you for getting it right. I don't know where i came up with Cherio, now i remember it was derrio. I have been singing that song all morning now. Thanks alot Rock, LOL.

73" of snow, WOW, I don't think we have ever had that much snow. How do you guys get around there. We had 10" once this year and I couldn't even get into work. Are you guys ever able to go anywhere. Although it would be fun sledding in all that and making snowmen with the kids.
  12. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I'm impressed Granni! As ya sing that I remember it from
    my Grandmother singing it to me as a toddler. Good job!
    I think with that wonderful voice of yours, you have a per-
    manent place in your Singing Club as well as on the PORCH.

Linda: Are you OK today? Come by the Porch and
    let us know how you are feeling, "K"?

Lydia: Now what are those Amish gonna think of next? I'm sure
    he was just as well pleased to see that truck arrive to help!
    More horses the better in this case! It was so sweet of him
    to offer to help Den.

Marta: How's the Sophie doin'? The cold and snow must be get-
    ting old back there. Raining here this morning and two storms
    are predicted for the week. We did have a nice break though.
    Gotta go to the bank and some Groc. shopping, maybe. The
    house-mates are giving me hints again as my food has about
    disappeared for some reason(?)(?) I found that going about
    10 am is good, as the buses are only half full as people
    are at work or where they have to be. The store doesn't get
    busy until about 11:30 for the Lunch crowd. I try to be back
    home by then. It's only about 1/2 mile away thank goodness!

Hello to Rosie, Rock and All other Porchies too numerous
    to mention!

13. rockgor

I am happy to report I have more energy today. Probably because Linda re-plugged me. You know, electro-magnetism is one of the 4 basic forces in the world.

The other's are the anger of a scorned woman, the power of a mother's love, and the craving for chocolate.

Of course Albert Einstein might tell on of the forces is gravity, but what did he know? Or as Gracie Allen said, "From this he makes a living?"

I read recently that the reason Einstein never completed his grand theory of relativity was because the necessary data didn't exist during his lifetime. So once again we see it's all a matter of timing.

Thanks for research, Granni. Yes, it is definitely Hi, Ho the Dairy-oh. Now how about this: Did the Lone Ranger say Hi-Ho Silver, Away or Hi-Yo Silver, Away!?

Dave Barry once did a column on that vital topic.

I guess I will adjourn to the mailbox. Less chance of loosing this post to the electronic gremlins.

14. Granniluvsu

Well, I was correct in my assumption but looked it up firist to check. The Lone Ranger did say - Hi HO Silver----- Away !!! Boy, are we smart !!

I really should be doing alot of other things buat here I sit checking out tidbits for Rock and Rosie !!

Rock - Thanks also for your info on the defination of the Dell !!

Hugs to all !!If my brain could remember some of the newer stuff instead of the much older stuff I'd be great !!

Any more questions-he he !!

15. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I was just reading your profile and you sound so much like me when you were my age. The running around with the girls (although i only have one now to run around). Of course, you know Ashley is 17 and driving. She has been a Godsend in helping me with this though.

You are so right when you put in your words "hidden energy" a mom can come up with when one of her children really needs her". That is so true. I know i complain now about doing all this, the volleyball tournaments, the softball games, the sleep overs, etc.... But you know, I am really going to miss all that when both girls are on their own and don't need me anymore.

I just hope I don't get worse then. Also, i just wanted to say your granddaughter Keira is the cutest little baby i have seen. I love those eyes. I bet you just have so much fun with her.

One more thing, in your profile you put you went to Missouri for myofacial treatment. I am from St. Louis (St. Charles area). Where did you go in Missouri for treatment[This Message was Edited on 02/19/2008]
  16. rockgor

Here I am having Reuben croquettes. Gordon made them yesterday. They have 16 ingreedaments including rice, sauerkraut, corned beef, and cheese. Sad to say the results were not worth the trouble. I am not, therefore, bringing any to the porch. Haha

Nice picture of Keira, Julie. I enjoyed your dellectable post re: the farmer in the Dell. That song always reminds me of Jack.

This is the farmer sowing his corn,
    That kept the cock that crowed in the morn,
    That waked the priest all shaven and shorn,
    That married the man all tattered and torn,
    That kissed the maiden all forlorn,
    That milked the cow with the crumpled horn,
    That tossed the dog,
    That worried the cat,
    That killed the rat,
    That ate the malt
    That lay in the house that Jack built.

Never thought about drawing rooms, Linda. I looked it up. Wikipedia or someplace said it was a room that part of the group would withdraw to. When I was a kid some older folks still used the term parlor rather than living room.

Good luck to your daughter re: the scholarship, Mickey. I don't know how middle class families pay for school anymore. Back in the 70s a semester at law school cost me about $500 for tuition. I don't even know what it is now; thousands, I suppose.

What do the wee bairns sing in Scotland, Rosie? (I already have lots of recordings of what the grown ups sing.)

Carla, I hope you are taking care of yourself. You need to stay dry and warm; stop playing around in that vicious ditch.

Thanks for the thought, Joe. Think I'll skip the bar-b-cue.

17. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Thanks Rock. Yes, it is in the thousands now. SLU is one of the highest rates, in the 20's. That is why i am praying and hoping so much she gets this full ride. There is no way me and my husband could afford it and she wants to go there so bad.

Like a said before she deserves to go where she wants, she has worked so hard and is a great kid. She does so much volunteer work as well.

Anyway, she is trying to get many scholarships so she should at least get a bunch of money from all of the ones she is applying for. We shall see.
  18. Granniluvsu

Rock - wasn't that even longer from "This is the house that Jack built" ??? Yes, what you wrote really does ring a bbell.

Mickey - Agai good luck to your daughter with her scholarship. With my 5 kids most went to SFA a state school in Nacogdoches, TX. It was fairly cheap now. Now I do not think they or we could afford that !!

Have to go fix dinner and can't think of anything else right now.

Hope all is well with everyone. I wish we would hear from Joan. I hope her husband is doing OK. She has enough physical problems to herself.

Blessings to all,

19. rockgor

That's all I know about Jack and his house, Marilyn. Is there more?

Have you guys seen the post Victoria started? Your Life in 6 words. Interesting reading.

20. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Did you go back to Vol 184 and see the Book recommendation
    I left for you? I think you probably could easily identify
    with it and find it very humorous as well!

I mention that the Jesuits got $28 a unit from me in '68. I
    believe it's probably $3 or $400 a unit today! Crazy! Really
    find it hard to believe that Kids are getting any better an
    education than I did then for the difference in the money. (?)
    I payed for my own Education all the way through Grad School!
    Payed my own Health and Car insurance, repairs, gasoline and
    all! State College was $68.00 a semester plus books and a
    minimal charge for Blue Cross Group Insurance. Worked 25 hrs.
    a week but was able to maintain. It's impossible for a student
    to do it without family help and/or heavily in debt student
    loans today! I'm happy that your daughter has had the opport
    unity to apply for a scholarship! I'll say a prayer and think optimistically.