Porchlight is On Vol 186 (Finished)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mrdad, Feb 20, 2008.

1. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Another new one! Mornin' Kids!
    Mickey, as I read your Post, my conscience is relieved. It is
    raining out there and will be here as two more storms are headed our way! One report is talking of "off and on" rain
    thru mid-March! We still need the water as it was very dry
    last year! Our rice farmers will be very happy.

[This Message was Edited on 02/20/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/21/2008]
  2. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

-20 below this cold, cold, sunny morning. Anyone want to go out and feed my poor ponies for me??? Pleeeasssse!

I have two sick kids on the couch with fevers. Yucky, Yucky, stuff!

3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Mrdad - Thanks so much for starting us up again. You are so diligent (-: !! We really preciate it !!

YC1 - Hope you see this as I know that you don't get to post alot due to how you have been feeling. I hope you feeel at least a little better today. You can always do some lurking if you feel up to it and then post if you feel well enough to. Sometimes , I confess I do the same thing,m in between toing stuff Ireally don't feel like doing. Yes, they saved you soe how chocolate and your own chair with warm blankie for you.

In your bio you did not mention where you are from . So I am wondering if you are having any of that terribly cold weather around the nation - midwest esp and some NE states. Please post and visit when you can.

Rock - Yes, in the last volume you posted what was the LAST verse of the Nursery Rhyme peom "This is the house that Jack Built". There are 8 verses and they each repeat the part that was first said and then they add on a sentence at the beginning.. I commend you for remembering what you did. I looked the rest up.

The first verse is "This is the house that Jack built, This is the malt that lay in the house that Jack built,This is the rat that ate the malt, that lay in the house that Jack built.

THEN IT CONTINUES WITH -This is the cat that killed the rat, that ate the malt that lay in the house that Jack built. With the next 6 verses it just ads on a verse till it gets up to the last one that you gave us . The part you gave us at the end , in case anyone else is interested is as follows:

****This is the farmer sowing his corn; That kept the cock that crowed in the morn; that waked the priest all shaven and shorn; that married that man all tattereed and torn; That kissed the maiden all forlorn; that milked the cow with the crumpled horn; that tossed the dog that worried the cat that killed the rat that ate the malt, that lay in the house that jack built.

Are you all totally confused, if you never heard this before. I just knew there was more Rock. However, you quoted the verse at the end that contained all the rest of the poem. I just didn't want to copy it all verse for verse, very repetitive!!

Hope all is well with everyone else. I can't think of anything else specific that I needed to mention. Just hope all of you are well (as can be expected- and don't feel to badly). Hi Marta, Jody, Lacey, Joan and everyone else.

Linda - Hope you feel better afaater going back to work. I know you felt badly after the first few days. Hope you can get on disability soon.

CK - you finished with your show yet? I know you were all worn out after a couple days of that work and travel in bad weather.

Blessings and hugs to all,

4. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Well I am getting ready to go have my lunch and come back and relieve the receptionist so she can go to lunch (Wednesday is my phone duty day). There are only 5 girls here and we take turns to help out at lunch. Today i am having a Salami Sandwich, pudding and an apple. Yes, i bring lunch most days (have to save for college some way, LOL).

CK - Yes let us all know how your art showing went. We are very interested.

MRDAD - hope you don't get too much rain, but if it keeps the crops going that is a good thing.

Granni, i just love how you figure out all of the rhymes. You are just too good. I can't remember (fibrofog) them for the life of me.

Talk to you all later at my next break, LOL
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I have been reading the terrible reports from all over, paying particular attention to the ones by MSS from Minnesota. To think I once lived there. Well, when you're young and healthy you can cope w/ a lot.

I looked at the LA weather report a few minutes ago. Forgot already what it said the high would be. 56 maybe. We are having showers off and on for the next 5 days.

Thanks for the farm report, Marilyn. The verse is repetitive. But not so much as 99 Bottles of Beer which we used sing on the school bus. We did lots of singing on the bus. I wonder if kids do now. Probably not. Pretty hard to sing rock or rap.

Who asked about the expression "beat the band"? Forgot that too. Well, I looked it up. Seems nobody knows for sure. It means the superlative. It was raining to beat the band means it was raining a lot.

Here are some possible explanations.

1)A corrupt town in Ireland was called Banagher. "To beat Banagher" was applied to a really bad situation.

2)A ministral named Banaghar told wonderful stories. Something marvelous would beat even his stories.

3)The expression is a joke similar to the fishing report. "All we caught was a cold."

When the high school team is asked who won, the losing side says, "All we beat was the band".

I like the third explanation best. (I just made it up.)

Library book sale this afternoon. All for now.

6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

rainy here today too, thought we'd seen the last of it for awhile,never mind.

Rock - my favourite 'kiddy' song has always been Bobby Shaftoe, I love it.

Bobby Shaftoe's gone to sea
    silver buckles at his knee
    when he comes back he'll marry me
    Bonny Bobby Shaftoe

Bobby Shaftoe's bright and fair
    coming out his yellow hair
    he'll be mine for ever mair
    Bonny Bobby Shaftoe

My husband hardly knows any songs and very few fairy/kiddy stories - good family but my goodness he was still deprived!!

Mickey - has your daughter been accepted for uni? I havent the strength to go back over all the posts but when you say you're saving up for uni then I take it she has been.

Everyone else, will try to keep up.

Hope you all have a good day.

don't know what the kids here are singing these days, probably pop songs.
  7. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Unfortunatley we will not know until late March if Ashley gets the full scholarship to SLU. We are hopefull she will get alot regardless and we will just have to pay whatever is less.

I figure if I eat in 4 days at work and go out 1 day, I save at least $24.00 a week. My husband does the same thing. It really adds up. With my other daughter going to college in 3 years, we really need to save, save, save.

Rosie, I have never heard that song before, it sounds really cute.
  8. Granniluvsu

Thanks also for Bobby Shaftoe. I think I had heard that one but did not all the words. it surely sounds like it had its origin in England or Scotland.

I doubt if my husband heard any of those tales or poems either Rosie and Mickey. Yes, I think he was deprived too(-: !! I doubt if he would think so though !

Just got back from working out -a mile on the treadmill and a few machines with weights for my fibro and osteoporosis. So, I can't do a whole lot either with FM and I never want to go but I know I need to for flexibility, some strengh, and weight bearing for my osteoporosis. DH pushes us to go which I guess is good but I never really WANT to go - achey and tired.

Morningshine - did you ever go out and feed all you poor cold ponies? Sorry, I wouldn't be going out either if the weather was that bad !! However, I do hope that they finally got fed.

Finally sent out some birthday cards for grandkids and a nephews baby ( overdue on that one) and sent some $ too. I have been putting it off since I have to pay for DH's BDay party, although he did say he would help me pay for it, THANK GOODNESS !

Bye again to all. Can't think of anything else . have choir practice tonight and it probably will be raining again at that time.

Hugs and blessings,

9. ckball

ckball New Member

Hello all- I survived the last week and have spent my day playing ketcup.

My art show went well, I won no ribbons or sold a painting but it was a good day and enjoyed myself.

Me had several demostrations and the day was ended with cloggers that did a show for us.

Thought about you Granni but clogging is not easy, not for me but looks like good exercise.

I had Dr appts Mon and Tues, Mon my hemo Dr took a pint of blood and I go back for another on 3/3

Yesterday was my gastro Dr and will have my 2 year-annual scopes in mid-April, long line in front of me. He does think that is possible I have Celiac disease which is good because all you have to do is stop eating gluten. The down side, everything I eat has gluten in it and I don't like veggies, fruits and non-gluten foods. Peanut butter was the only thing on the list that I like.

He gave me a lot of information about it. So we will see, he will do the blood work and a biopsy of my colon when he does my scope in Apr.

It has been a busy porch and I haven't really been able to keep up too much, just been very tired and trying to spend more time with my girls when I am home. I feel like I have neglected them lately trying to get my art done and appts. Finally got Twy to "roll over".

Micky-I'll will keep my fingers crossed for your daughter and her college funds. I don't see how people put kids threw college anymore.

Granni and Rock thank you for the the childhood songs, been a long time since I have heard them.

Mrdad thanks for keeping the light on for us and all your kindness and support, you are are a wonderful man and am so thankfull that you are here to take care of us.

MorningSS-thanks for stopping by to see us, did you get your ponies fed and the kiddies taken care of?

Marta -73 inches of snow-oh my. We did get about 2 inches this morning, it looked so pretty but is nearly gone already. Did you get your faucet fixed. Thanks for the email, it did work the second time and it was wonderful and timely :)

Linda- what are you up to today, I got up with a stiff right shoulder and neck, not sure what I did, maybe slept on it wrong or just getting old.

Hello to everyone else I missed, I have to work Fri and Sat this week, I don't mind Fri it's only 12-5 but Sat is 10-5 and usually a busy day. So I may be absent for awhile again.

I need to clean again, I swear I just did it but I have fur balls floating everywhere. My dogs should be bald by now,lol.

Hope everyone is safe and warm and don't have to get out in the bad weather. See ya later-Carla
  10. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Yes, its me again, its about 4:40 and i am just getting ready for the drive home. I am starving and can't wait to eat. My 15 year old daughter wants to go tanning because she has snowcoming at school on Saturday. I miss those days. I guess there no harm in tanning especially since it is a spray on. She has done it before and it looks really natural.

I have no idea whats for supper, probably an oven pizza, something fast, so we can enjoy American Idol tonight. Can't wait to see the girls sing.

CK sounds like you need a break, you have just been running and running. Just dream tonight of an island and all us porchies are on it and we are all eating pineapple and drinking frozen drinks with the little fruit in it and just enjoying the sun and looking out at the ocean.

Sounds wonderul.

Talk to all one last time tonight before I go to bed.
  11. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Hello Carla. I wrote you an email to say hello and see how
    and what you're doing, now I know since you've been to the PORCH! Sounds like you have lots of Med appts. to keep you
    going for awhile. I had 5 in one week back in September. Why are they gonna do another blood draw so soon? Is your ferriten
    and iron above normal? Mind are about every 3 mos. now! Better than every week like I did for over three years.
    (A SIDE BAR FRIENDS) "Carla and I are diseased with the same thingy"! We have the same type of therapy. I use the word
    "disorder" at the Pub. Otherwise, the word "disease" has the
    GOOD looking women scurrying away! Ya know what I'm sayin?

Mickey: How much lunch money were you able to save today? It
    is amazing how much money even I can spent in a week,usually
    on food. Had 'brunch" with my Son today and the bill was
    about $24 plus the generous gratuity! Well, I quit smoking
    almost 4 years ago, so I feel justified in indulging myself
    once a week or so. Still it's expensive. $50.00 on Groc. this morning and hardly got anything. Few people it seems
    cook anymore. I do. But going to the Mkt., see how much
    space is allotted for Freezer space for pre-prepared meals.
    Most of it very unhealthy, especially for growing children.

Well, this is gonna rival "War and Peace" ifin' I don't
    end it soon! Hope the kids are better Julie and that all
    that bad weather has passed by all!

12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

lost my post again, thought I could flick back and forward so I could remember what everyone is saying but doesn't seem like it. Another sleepless night, 3.45 and the light is still on but Hamish, one of my wee kitties is keeping me company.

Mickey - I understand now about your daughter and hope she gets her scholarship. Students here used to get a lot of help by way of grants - given to everyone but our caring government did away with them a few years back and its the loan system here now.

Gran, how old will your DH be on his birthday. I see he's been deprived like mine, I find it strange that some mother's don't sing to or tell their kid stories.

Carla - hope you manage your work okay and then have a good rest.

Morning (?) is it with the -20 weather......brrr.....now that you mention it, the rain doesn't seem so bad, it's back today.

Mr Dad - I've forgotten what you said - sorry but I'm glad your state will be getting the rain it needs.

Rock - hope your energy lasts.

I am going to a comedy show tomorrow night and then to Glasgow on Saturday to see the Russian Siberian Ballet - The Nutcracker - never seen this one and hope I make it, keep your fingers crossed for me.

13. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

It is 10:11 & past my bedtime, but i just wanted to say goodnight to you all. I am pooped out and ready to snuggle under the covers and read a little bit.

MRDAD you should splurge, you deserve it after working most of your life. Believe me when I retire I am going to live it up, hopefully as long as my health is good.

Rosie I really hope you get some sleep. I know that is the worst thing to have happen. I will say a prayer for you.

By the way, American Idol was okay tonight. That Simon is really a jerk sometimes. Oh well, I guess that is what keeps the show interesting.
  14. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Our Porchies seem to be slogging through the winter with a good attitude, at least. I know that this is THE longest winter of my life!

MSS, you have the cold weather AND two sick kids. I'm going to quit complaining.

Granni, that was tooooooo much construction for me. Amazing you remember all that. Now wait a minute. One mile on a treadmill?? Now I know for sure you're on the wrong Board. (Sure would miss you if you found the Athletic Board though.)

Mickey, saving seems to be something that few people know how to do anymore so I give you a big pat on the back. When I tell my kids that the only way to have money is not to spend it, they look at me as if I was speaking a foreign language.

Rock, I love your explanation of the origin of sayings and words. Which reminds me, I need to go back and read the last volumn to see if you still have all your cats.

Carla, I'm glad you enjoyed the art show and that it went well. No, I have no faucet yet. Well, I have a faucet but it's the old drippy one. Never by Pegasus by Home Depot.

Joe, $50 on groceries is about right for me too. I do buy a lot of organic things and that takes the bill higher but I think it's worth it. That, or we're being sold a bill of goods. Hope you avoided the beef aisle!

Julie, what a cute picture and a cute child. Aren't they amazing at that age? They stay amazing until about age 7.

I vacuumed the other day and I'm still paying for it. It feels good to have it done but not to do it. Mopping floors is the same way - as are grocery shopping, yard work and snow shoveling. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Sophie refuses to eat the $$$ food the vet recommended for her itching/allergies. On one hand, I'm glad but the poor girl does itch a lot. The steroid shot finally wore off.

Hugs all around the porch,

Marta and the itchy cat
  15. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

to work finally, it only took 2 hours (usually 20 minutes). Yikes, it was like driving on ice. I just took it slow and easy. At least they called school off and my daughter didn't have to drive in this.

I can't believe I made it before Joe changed the volume.

Marta, you are so right, this has been the longest winter ever. I cannot wait until Spring. I think I will have a party the 1st day of Spring.

Granni, I am so proud of you for doing a mile on the treadmill. I think I am going to join my daughter's gym that she goes too and get ready for summer. We have a pool in the backyard and i really don't want anyone seeing me in a swimsuit just yet.

My kids think money just grows on trees and that we just never run out. Hahaha. Ashley & Lindsay used to save every penny and now she just blows it on clothes.

Marts, I hope Sophie gets better and the itching stops.

By the way, i am going to change my picture soon and put my girls and dog (Jack, the yellow lab) on my profile so you can all see who i talk about sometimes. Well, and also I like to show them off, LOL
  16. Granniluvsu

Athletic, I AM NOT !!! Trust me, I never have been really athletic and now with the pain I just push myself to do what I know I have to do. Actually, If I did not have my DH to push us both to go to the gym (hopefully 2x a week) I would never go, I know.

Originally we started trying to go the the gym 3x a week. However, that seemed to not work to well. Now we are trying 2x and sometimes that does not work either, I am afraid to go in April when I go to have my bone density test after two years of injectabale Forteo that I shoot myself with every day. I hope it did something good. You are only allowed to take it for two years because that is how long they did the testing for.

BTW, I am really not responsible for building Jacks house correctly(-: !! When Rock mentioned it I went straight to Google and there it was. Believe me I did not REMEMBER all that- in my head, no way.

If I could just stay in bed and occasionally get up to go to the FM, etc. boards, and go sing for my thereapy and my doc appts., I might just happily (or sometimes not so happily) do that. However, it is impossible so I do, cook, clean and run around mostly to do the things I need to do-other than the singing)) The way I figure, no one else is going to do it for me - so I had better get off my duff and get it done- UGH !!GROAN ! Please pardon the venting !!

BTW, DH was 70 years ld. I forget who asked me, Marta or Mickey.

Julie - You surely are a busy girl too. I also love babies and small children too. However, I am afraid I do not have the patience for them much anymore either ( or for very long). When I think I did that for about 13 or so years (home child care) and then had my own 5, and DH father who later on became ill and had alzheimers and lived with us. Now, I think I was crazy but I was just HEALTHY most of the time till towards the end. Yes, I fear that this DD does change people alot (even if you or me-all of us , do try alot to fake it) !!

Marta - Sorry to hear that Soapie is having some kind of a skin problem it sounds like. Hope she is better soon. Have you brought her to the vet? Sorry I missed that post.

Joan - Let us hear from you if you can. I (we) are worried about you and your husband,

Hugs and blessings to All you dear Porchies !!

17. mrdad

mrdad New Member

It's so eclectic, isn't it. I've just read what Porchies
    are doing today, the weather, work etc. and it seems as
    if I know you all and so involved in your lives! It's like
    a big eclectic family here. We share our daily experiences,
    whether good or ill, with such support and comradery! A nice
    place to be.

So Rosie, you had a problem sleeping again last night? Don't
    get many people from "across the Pond" coming to the PORCH
    in the middle of the night. But it's fun to wakeup in the
    morning here and find you have already made a visit.

Marta: No, I didn't buy any beef at the Groc. Store, mostly
    chicken and fish and fresh veggies! My Daughter is a vegan
    but not obnoxious about it. She was a Certified Vet Asst'
    for a time and is naturally conscious of the mis-treatment
    of animals. Probably, however, how she acquired Lyme.Wasn't
    aware that Sophie was having allergy problems? I must have
    missed you Post on the subject somehow. Poor Kitty! My Daug-
    thers Kitty loves the mice I sent her. Sent 2 white and 2
    Black toy mice. I've sent them b-4 and the Kitty loves to
    hate them. While my "D" is at school Crystal takes all the
    mice out of her toy box and disperses them through out the
    Apt. I told my "D" that Crystal probably spends all day
    "herding mice"!! It's her job!!

Mickey: That ice is so scary to drive on! Everything happens so fast when it does! Luckily we don't have that problem
    here in SF with these steep hills everywhere. Wife went off
    the road years ago in the Sierra hitting black ice on a
    curve while driving into Reno. Ironically, someone stopped
    to be a Good Neighbor in the middle of the hyway causing
    another approaching car to hit the brakes and run off the
    road into the side of MY '65 Chevy El Camino!

She was so upset as she told me what had happened as that
    Chevy was my pride and joy. Told her that the only thing
    that mattered was that she wasn't hurt or worse! The AAA's
    check arrived for $400.00. Christmas was approaching and
    and it was my first year teaching in the County. With check in hand, I had my wife follow me back outside to the El Camino. I took her to the side of the vehicle that had not
    been stuck and said, "Gee Hun, can't hardly see any
    damage at all"! (That check remained warm in my hand
    until Christmas)!!

"It happened that way, movin' West"
    Gonna heat up my coffee kids!

18. Marta608

Marta608 Member

...to the old volume. As I was finishing up here this morning, the phone rang and I lost the thought.

Mickey, driving on ice is an oxymoron, right? We steer on ice and pray the car will go in the right direction. Not my fav thing to do.

Granni dear, if I pushed myself for a mile on the treadmill I could not get out of bed for a week. I was on the treadmill for a very short time when I had a cardio test and was sick for four days afterward. I remember Carla saying it only took her three days to recover and I was envious. I'm glad you can push without wiping yourself out.

Julie, oh yes, please do come and vacuum. With a cat, the carpet can use a good vacuuming frequently. Too bad I don't do it. lol

Yeah, Joe, Soap is allergic to something and I suspect it's carpet fiber or dust. Talk about a conundrum! I'm trying her on different special foods just in case, although she's very insulted that I'd expect her to eat that stuff. She occasionally smacks me when I walk by her and I know she's hungry. "Dumb woman gave me that awful terrible stuff and doesn't even realize I'm not eating it!" She's not as chubby as she was though! Unfortunately, she's still itching. No, no fleas.

This is good. I've discovered the trick to posting on the Porch; come here several times a day!

Hugs - and now I will read that old volume.
  19. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

just back from a show - a comedian - he was awful, we all seven of us left at the break. Still it was only 5 minutes away by car. I was looking forward to a good laugh but never mind.

Gran I asked about your husband's age, I hope he has a great birthday.

MrDad your wife must have got such a fright. I was veggie for 9 years in my 20s but got a taste for meat again. I dont eat 'new' animals like ostrich, crocodile, shark, not even deer or sheep and would love to go vegan like your daughter but you have to be really dedicated and I don't have the strength. Good for her.

We used to have Paul from Scotland on board here but he just disappeared one day, I don't know what happened to him, just hope he's okay.

If I go back to read the posts again will I lose this, I did last night.

So I won't.

20. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Well thank goodness they sent us home. It was just pouring ice. Crazy. Yes Marta, i am definetly a oxymoron for driving on the ice. LOL

By the way I put a new picture up on my profile of my scholar/hunter daughter. This is her 1st deer she got during hunting season. She is licensed with a rifle and a bow. Tomorrow I will try and put a picture up of my younger daughter. If this offends anyone, please forgive me ahead of time.

You guys all need to put pictures up, I would love to see all you wonderful faces.

Joe, that is horrible that happened to your wife. You are so sweet for saying what you did to her. What a wonderful husband. I was in an accident once and my husband was more mad than anything. Oh well.

Well I am going to go upstairs and get my comfy clothes on and clean for awhile if i am not too tired.

Talk to you all later.