Porchlight is on Vol 189 (Klosed)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mrdad, Feb 23, 2008.

1. mrdad

mrdad New Member

OK. We're here! Security camera's in place and the Pinkerton

Guards at the door. (So watch it, who ever ewe are)!!

P.S. Jodie left a message on the Post 188, so please go
    back and read it as She has been an MIA for a few days!
    HI Jodie!!![This Message was Edited on 02/24/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/25/2008]
  2. pasara

pasara New Member

i'm going to try this (the porch)out again. i tried once before but got very confused. i feel a little smarter today. maybe. : } and you all seem to have such a good time. i don't really know what you're supposed to do, or if you have a conversation already going, but here's what's up with me this morning..

i am getting ready to leave for mexico on tuesday and i just tried on my old bikinis. yikes! it was a very sorry sight,as i've gained almost 10 pounds since i last wore them. plus all the tops hurt my (injured) neck. it's hard to find bikini tops that don't tie behind your neck, but i might go a'looking today.

question: how much do i clean the house before i go? husband and son will be holding down the fort. i thought if i cleaned it before i left, it might inspire them to clean it really well right before i get home. i hate coming home from vacation to a dirty house.

also saw the movie the diving bell and the butterfly yesterday. it was sooo good!

3. ckball

ckball New Member

Mrdad did you pull a all nighter or were up with the bats? Thanks for gettin us changed over.

Pasara-welcome to the porch, we did have a little confusion with a missing thread but we are going to move on and blame it on the "gremlins in the black hole".

Glad to to see new people here, we don't have a set agenda we just come talk about our day, have fantasy parties at the Lodge and bring food, lots of fat free, calorie free and now gluten free food.

We are a very diverse group and not everyone address's each everytime we post. We understand how hard it is to keep up but you will catch on.

I cheat on long threads, I open word pad in a small window and read the thread and write in word pad then copy and paste.

I got a phone call and go-Carla
  4. mrdad

mrdad New Member

RALPH NADER appears to be gasing up that old Ford Pinto of
    his and getting a smog check on his Chevy Corvair! Oh, boy!!
    He's gonna "steal" votes and divert funds out of MY campaign!
    Guido, as my C.F.O, is gonna half two work even harder sol-
    iciting funds. Oh brother!! (I think Nader's wearing the same
    suit he did 8 years ago on "Meet the Folks"!)

My Son and the members of his group did very well last night
    with their performance. It was well attended including par-
    ents, friends and other money payin' patrons! Their are five
    members in the group with various musical instruments including a SAW that one of the girls plays for some of the
    numbers they do. ALL that equipment too!! Lots of work to
    get it all together I'm sure.

Blowing wind and rain today in Sunny "Kaliphonia". Sorry
    Arnold and Maria. George Hamilton won't be hangin' around
    Jodie's pool today! Skier's are delighted though. Another
    2 to 4 feet of snow in the Sierra. Some resorts will be
    open into July 4th most likely! Another weather change
    is on the way! Almost 70 degrees by the end of the week!
    George H. and I like that much better!

Rosie: An "M.I.A" is someone who has not been to the PORCH
    for a noted period of time. "Missing In Action"

Hope all are havin' a relaxing Sunday!

5. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

Well today, I am going to the park with my dh, son and niece. I think we will also take our four legged child with us.

The weather is beautiful here today, in the low 70's.

I hope you all have a wonderful day,

6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Remember, no matter how old we get, we can always be immature at heart.

Hi, PaSara. Is the P silent as in Wodehouse's Psmith where the P was silent as in psychic? I keep getting terrible reports of winter weather from Minnesota. I still shiver when I remember that I used to live there.

Nice to see you on the porch. One thing: please don't mention bikinis. It inflames MrDad.

MrDad, as long as the subject has been mentioned, have you read the history of the bikini? Go to the Wikipedia article on the bikini and see what it says about Spain, Portugal and Italy.

Good to see you back on the board, Jodie. You are busy as always.

I just finished the second of two books by Miss Read. Got 'em for a quarter @ at the library's book sale. This coming week the library is having a wacky wednesday sale; everything half off. Sort of like a bikini.

Gordon went to the Chinese market. Huckle, the golden tom, is napping on a towel. Like many cats and dogs he likes to lie on something, even if it's only a sheet of newspaper. I don't know why. There is a very comfortable carpet underneath.

Have you guys read the 6 word biography thread? I think it's a hoot. Creative too.

Was listening to a recording of one of Verdi's lesser-known operas. It is a live performance from 1963, the year I was graduated from college. Surprisingly good sound. Recordings are kinda like time machines.

If only we had a time machine. We could go back and find out what happened to the Mary Celeste, Judge Crater, and Vol. 187.

And I could go back a see my ancestor/relative who played an interesting but not too significant role in the events culminating in Lincoln's assassination.

Think I'll just sit back in the glider and enjoy the sunshine and some lemonade.

7. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Welcome Pasara! You can come by the Porch anytime. No need
    to feel you must "keep up" or response to every Post! It's
    impossible for anyone to do it. Just drop in and let everyone
    know what and how you are doing. Just relax, like one of
    Rocky's Kitty Kats!

Rocky: I think I'd like to be down in So. Cal today, or with
    Bevy and her family in San Antonio TX. Sounds warm and sunny
    in both places.

Jodie: Do hope Cody is doing well today! Poor "Kid"! And
    at least you can relax in that "George H." most likely will
    not be by to use your Pool with the rain and all. (Chips get
    soggy in the rain)

It was sure great to see so many "pretty people" Post pics
    the past few days. Don't have a digital camera and wouldn't
    know how to use it if I did. Still learning to "Cut and
    Paste"! If you think on DR. House without the 7 day facial
    growth, it would be close enough, right Jodie?

Gonna warm up my koffee Kids, "K"?
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

thanks for the translation Joe - MIA - your son's band sounds really creative, do they get paid? What kind of music do they play, I imagine with a saw it must be country???? Does your son play guitar??

My boy's band never get paid even though the clubs take an entrance fee. He's just happy to be playing to a live audience though.

Rock my kitties just love papers to sit on and cardboard boxes to lay in - like little kids, buy them expensive presents and they play with the boxes and wrapping paper. My favourite opera is Verdi's La Traviatta,has been since I was young.

Julie, that's fascinating, going to Belize every year to give of your time to help the people there.

Pasara, hope you enjoy your holiday in Mexico - wouldn't bother cleaning the house, your husband and son are just going to dirty it while your gone.

Bevy, hope you enjoyed the park, I'm looking forward to spring so I can get out and get some fresh air.

Jodie, hope your wee boy is feeling better, so worrying when your children get sick.

Had a 'busy' week, out twice so taking it easy today, could sleep but trying to stay awake so I can sleep tonight. Oh for the years when sleep wasn't so elusive.

Off to have my dinner. Big hello to everyone!!

[This Message was Edited on 02/24/2008]
  9. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Hey there!

I just wanted to say that we all have the brain stuff going on and while I can't speak for Rock, I can assure you that I for one am very 'hit and miss' about remembering what I was going to say to who when I poke my head onto the porch and post!

I certainly don't intend to purposly ignore anyone and I'm sure no-one else would either. We are a friendly bunch!
    I know the tricks about opening Word or Notepad etc. but sometimes that's just beyond me too and I forget half the stuff I wanted to say, forget who had posted previosly (and obviously forget how to spell too ;-)

Don't feel like you have to write a response to every single person who has written before you, we all understand that just isn't possible sometimes.

Lots of hugs,
  10. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

It's raining here again. I know I should'nt complain since so much of the country has really foul weather, but it's just so darn dark! Maybe sitting here in this nice rocker in the porch will be good for the soul.

Mrdad, what made you suspect Lyme? How long do you think you've had it? Good to hear you kiddos are doing so well!

Carla - great picture!

Rock - LOL at the Smurf, and yes the 6 word things are hilarious!

Hi to everyone else!

I had a big day yesterday and am paying today, but I helped prune the grapes and some roses and so it was worth it. Getting outside does wonders!
    We have a new (since Christmas) puppy and watching him grab the prunings and race off in full puppyzoom mode was keeping us laughing! He is the greatest little guy, best puppy we've ever had for trainability and lack of destructivness. We got him for our 8 year old who has nagged for a puppy for years.

Welp, gotta go take a shower so the family will speak to me again!
    Hope all are doing well today,

11. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Rosie: They do charge an admission to the Group's Music Per-
    formance but as with YOUR son, they receive none of the pro-
    ceeds. It goes to the Club. They do some slow, mellow music
    rather than any hard rock or twangie County Western! They did
    a program on Lake Monsters and was thinking of you and "Nessie"! She's got to be getting pretty old by now like some
    old ancient dinosaur! I'm sure you have lots of Pics of her Rosie.

Foggyfroggy: Weather isn't so great here either! I suspected
    Lyme for at least 5 years. MY original diagnosis "Hemachromotosis", many of the parallel symptoms. Fatique,
    body, muscle and joint "pain". After a few years of treat-
    ment, I was only getting worse for no real reason. As you
    know,my Daughter has had Lyme for at least 12 years! We
    lived in the same enviroment for 20 years. I lived in the
    Sierra for about ten years. Took Ticks off my animals as
    well as off myself on occasion. I remember having a low
    grade fever at night for weeks after having removed a tick
    from myself. Believe the disease, however, remained dormant
    for decades! Couldn't get my docs to look seriously at
    the possibility, until I obtained a N.P. who was supportive.
    So, "it happened that way, movin' West"! Shall see if the
    anti-biotics bring any improvement, but at least I NOW have
    definition! A great relief. Thanks for your concern!

Hello to Kylob ifin' you are looking in? Linda says that you
    are doing well, thankfully. Say hi when you can, "K"?

Hey to Granni, "Candy" and ewe awl!!!

12. sheepwrestler

sheepwrestler New Member

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. It is raining here, but should clear up by tomorrow.

Jodie, good to hear from you. It sounds like you are doing well in school.

Pasara, have a wonderful trip to Mexico. I'll probably be going there sometime later this year.

I'm thinking of increasing my hours at work again, to three days a week. I usually feel much better in the summer, and have more energy.

Just finished baking some more banana bread, and am going to pop some strawberry bread in the oven soon.

Am hoping to get my quilt top put together tomorrow.

Mr. Dad, hope you are faring OK in the City with all the rain. I heard the winds were up to 50 mph.

Hello to all--

13. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi All, I figured I had better check out the porch before something else happens today. I still have to fold all the clothes in the washer. After church and changing clothes, DH wanted help doing some outside windows. So I grabbed my extension cleaner with a brush on it and cleaned of some of the cobwebs and junk off so he could wash the windows. We weren't out there that long, thank goodness and the weataher was really sunny and nice today. Now we aare going to have spell of heat I belive and anaother cold spell. Not sure of the time frame though.

YC1 - Hi there kiddo. I am so glad you have been visiting the porch. Please don't feel badly or alone if I am not there. Even some of us "regulars" shall we say aren't always there every day. BTW, since I mentioned that I will be up early and going to see my Rheumy tomorrow. So, I will be back in the afternoon. It is not the shortest ride for me and I don't like it but I go and take the feeder road almost all the way there. I hate to take the freeways unless absolutely necessary !! Not good for my blood pressure !!

Hopefully I will get to check the porch before evening. I will be out in the evening for Choral practice. Some visit the porch more often than others depending on how they are feeling and if they are stuck at home, or whatever they have planned or hope to plan. We are all so different. One thing however, is clear, these Porchies are a fun and wonderful bunch, also very compassionate, smart and fun too. I see that you have met many of them already.

Don't feel bad if they don't all call you by name or if you can't remember who said what. We all do that and it isn't always necessary to write to everyone individually all the time. Sometimes we all do not have the time and if I do not attach my new post to the new volume that I am posting to I will definately forget who said what. Some people take notes. I used to but no more. When I have some more time I will tell you how to click onto the new volume so you can see who said what , while posting. Pretty neat treat. I forget who told me how to do that . It might have been Carla CK or Carla - nl who lives in the Netherlands I believe and doesn't post here that often as she is so busy.

Hope your sis and fil are doing better and that you are not feeling to badly now. I think coming to the porch, and chit chat board really helps to keep a positive attitude for me. You already know if you have big questions go to the FM/CFS Board,,etc. By the way, as your probably already have found out - take what Mrdad says with a huge grain of salt and sometimes Rock too. They like to keep us on our toes and laughing.

Pasara - Hi and welcome. The answer to the cleaning thing is it idpends on how you feel and how dirty the house is. Not sure if you said how long you would be gone on your trip. Glad you are getting to go. I think you are in the cold part of the country, aren't you??. I am sure you need some warm weather and change of scenery.

If your house isn't to bad and you f fell OK clean up what is nevcessary os it isn't really bad . If your husband and son are like mine it won't be thata squeaky clean when you get home. So, I soun'd dp that much cleaning !! I know what you mean though. I don't like it to really bad when I get home and then have to clean after all that rest on the trip.

Bevy2 - glad you are having a lovely day today. Go out and get some fresh air for yourself, dh, and 4 legged buddy. Itis so nice to see the sun today here today to - wonderful for a change.

Jodie - So glad that you are doing well. Keep working hard on your studies.. I was just thinking of you when I read your post from the last volume. Glad also that cody is in a brace not (I think that is what you sai) buat I can't check since you were on the last volume. Just be careful with those toxic friends and try to keep away from them like you have been toing. Good luck with all your projects ad midterms coming up.

Mrdad - I see you are as busy as ever. Ironing your speedos yet??(-: :: Getting ready for the Bee Kee Nee season or ar they already wearing them in Kaliphonia ??? The though of even wearing one really puts shivers up my spine. Way to cold now and not quiote in shape for it either anymore. Not that I ever really wore one when I could have. I did wear a 2 pc though. I don't think at my age anyone would want to see me in one either, or myself - yuck !!

Hi there Rock - you surely have been a busy one on the porch today. You are always trying to keep us all educated - ugh , not to easy forme any more to keep educated (-: !!.

Hi also to Georgia, CK, Rosie and Froggy and whoever else I forgot. This is my big post for the week kids (-: !!! You know me sometimes I lie or should I say forget what I havae said and so I just keep on typing or chatting away - "Hung by the Tongue" , again.!!

Oh dear, I am worried about Joans husband. Haven't heard from her a quite awhile. Hope both are doing OK.

I see Candy (YC1) is calling me on the porch so I had better send this off. Bye for now.

Hugs and blessings to all,

14. victoria

victoria New Member

I see on the 'weather' thread that you finally did it - and were + on the IGenex WB? So I realllllly wanted to ask you if you had all 5 bands positive that the CDC uses for 'tracking/surveillance' purposes... or what.... and really hoping you will post how you do on the Lyme AND the CF/FM board. There is such a huge overlap, altho of course I agree that not everyone has lyme.

And I also wanted to say I'm so glad your daughter is still doing so well!

AND HI to everyone else... I sometimes read your porch threads, but usually find it too difficult to follow everything, much less to respond, sigh, so restrict myself to the simpler threads/posts... what can I say.

These days I find listening much easier than reading, tho my DH might disagree with that blanket statement... so will amend it to, I listen to audio books mostly hehe.

Y'all are so funny tho... keep it up :)

all the best,

15. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

don't know if you left a personal mia report for me, but i did not see anything four me. i know i am in your heart somewhere...

but something is telling me you mentioned something about going to the pier looking for bee kee nee clad women.

george has not been hanging here for sure...too cold for him and rainy. it has slowed down for the moment on the rain.

i still have my studies to contend wiff. reading about speeches. boring but must be read. need that midterm A....

i stayed home last night out of the rain and possible drama of some people.

i need to go to different places....can't wait for the warmer weather, oh the sun just popped out again today.

maybe joe is right on the temps getting into the 70's.

got to do the studying and get my stuff all in order for this week.

tests and speech....still need to do my outline and research my topic for the speech and be ready for it on wednesday morning at 9 am... rise and shine on that day.

16. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Hi Jodie. I hadn't referred to you on Post 188, but on the
    first Post I started on Vol 189, I did inform all that you
    had left a Post (the last of one's on Vol 188). I wanted
    all to see what you wrote there. Is the weather clearing
    up where you are? Glad that you are back in school and
    making adjustments.

Victoria: I mentioned my recent Lyme results on the Lyme
    Board a few days ago. I'm too med ignorant to interpret
    the meaning of the Bands other than the verbal explanation
    of my being positive over the phone to my Nurse Pract.
    There are 14 numbers and 6 of them have double **(??)
    What ever that means? As I read it, it's pretty much "all
    Greek to me". What is the significance (if any) of the DrCrist findings method(s)? Hope you've had a good day.

17. pasara

pasara New Member

Hello again. Today was a pretty nice day weather-wise, for Minnesota February that is. Got up to 40 or so! Everybody was outside. And of course the teenage boys go out in T-shirts to show off a little. This last week it was way below zero, so who can blame us all for wanting to get out of the igloo for a bit!

As far as the cleaning the house, you guys were supposed to say, "forget it, why would you clean up for those slobs?" but instead you all gave these rational answers.

Actually hubby caught my flu, so he's a sorry sack at the moment. Then the son came home from work feeling lousy too! Boy, this is a family who never gets sick too! (with petty viruses I mean.)

I don't know who asked (sorry, i can't keep up with names yet!) how long i was going to Mexico. I will be there for 16 days.

Today I got more pads of painting paper and went through my beads. I'm going to be doing some painting and drawing while I'm there(watercolor and pastels mostly)and make some jewelry, necklaces mostly. I organized all my beads and tomorrow will decide what to take with. I might try to sell a few pieces to the backpackers on the beach. I used to do a lot of art, but then when I got so depressed last year I stopped, I just lost all inspiration. I am hoping this trip will reignite the fire so I can get back to it.

Sounds like a lot of you have dogs or cats. I have a cockatiel named Tweet. She was my stepson's bird originally, but somehow I ended up with her when he went off to college. Birds tend to bond with one person in particular, and I'm the lucky sucker. Though I'm not one of those weird ladies in the park with pigeons all over her, I have come to love birds. The first year after my accident, when I was in bed most of the time, I spent a lot of time watching a sparrow couple that were nesting in the neighbors' soffits just outside my window. It was sort of my own little national geographic special. Birds have a lot of personality once you get to know them, and I think it would be pretty cool to some day have a small parrot (though don't mention this to Tweet, she might get a complex.)
  18. victoria

victoria New Member

I don't see any posts you made there, it must've mysteriously disappeared like the last porch thread???? Wonder if it was the same night, hmmmmm...

Also don't see where you've posted anything on the CF/FM board either since last summer, so it's not mistakenly there either....

I get confused as to which band means what, but here, according to IGenex, is what the CDC requires for reporting purposes - so if any of these bands are positive, it should be reported to your state health dept plus the CDC by your doctor:

"The CDC/ASTPHLD criteria for a positive result are:
    2 of the following 3 bands: 23-25 kDa (Osp C);
    39 kDa;
    and/or 41 kDa.
    IGeneX adds the 31 kDa (Osp A), and/or the 34 kDa (Osp B) to the criteria, with the argument that these two antigens (bands) are used for the vaccines and therefore their antibodies should be included in the interpretation of positivity. "

Since you didn't list which bands were positive, I don't know, but if you got 6... sounds like it is very positive... hope you post it over there, Munch1958 is up to speed on interpreting it in particular, and has it on her profile as well.

PASARA, have fun with your drawing and painting! I miss it badly... have got to set up some space for myself to retreat to one of these days...

all the best,

19. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

was great, the kids had Big Mack pulling them on the skateboard, dh even had the poor puppers pull him, everybody had their laughs for the day.

No one was at the park so after working so hard the four legged one got to run free. His day was so full. The new pic in my profile is of him napping this afternoon!!!

Pasara, wow 16 days without your hubby and son I can't even go to the grocery store without my son calling me. Do you speak Spanish?

I thought I had more to say, but I am sleepy so good nite to all,

20. ckball

ckball New Member

First I want to say hello to YC1, I have been meaning too but my visits the last few days were cut down because I worked 2 day and have 2 dogs that get my time when I leave them in the house all day.

I know we have had several new people and it has been great, I just haven't had as much computer time as I would like lately, always something else taking my time, like playing in the mud.

I played for nearly 3 hours today, I don't know how I did it but I did.Di manage to find a way to get some of the water to drain off. One shovel at a time.

Twy got loose on me today and Missy stayed close to me and was already muddy so I let her go have her run. They had a great time and I have to wait until they are ready to come in.

I finished my dinner and here they came. So I tied them up and kept them on towels until they dried up then brushed them and bathed them. Then bathed myself.

I have tried to find several people to help me with this water/mud issue but no luck, so I do a few feet or few hours, which ever I feel like. Once I got past 30 minutes I was ok and just kept pluggin away.

The bath felt great, now I will finish the awards show and crawl in to bed for about 12 hours.

Hopefully, I will have more time to ketup on the volumes. I don't have any thing I HAVE to do until my art club on Thurs nite, then work Fri. See ya later-Carla