Porchlight is On, Vol. 226 CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Apr 22, 2008.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Ok, Kids!

Rosin on the bow
    And Here we go.

Bow to your partner,
    Now bow to the right.

Swing and sway
    All through the night.

Cross your corner
    Gents form a star.

Ladies follow and
    There you are.

Allemande left,
    Do the curlique.

Back to your places
    And now we're through.

Square dancin' is hot work. Need a lemonade after that.

[This Message was Edited on 04/24/2008]
  2. rockgor

This may be a longish post, so am typing it as an e mail.

As usual, Gordon cooked over the weekend. He made meat loaf, roast beef, mashed potatoes. W/o even waiting for leftovers he used half the roast to make hash w/ homemade gravy.

Last night he was whizzing peppers in the blender. Don't know what kind they were. There are a dozen popular peppers used in California-Mex cooking. Don't know if they were serranos, Georgia. They were as big as small bananas. I am totally unbiased. Don't eat any of them.

Norwegians don't eat anything spicier than butter.

Anyway Gordon is making sauce for his tortillas. Sometimes he makes refried beans or potato tacos which are fun. He doesn't make tamales though. (Those are the ones w/ mesa/corn meal.)

The only thing I fix in this culinary area is margaritas and guacamole dip. The way I make guacamole, it comes out smooth and bland, just like the aforementioned butter.

Well, am going to do this in installments to minimize shrinkage.

3. rockgor

As you see, Candy, I have more energy today (well, middle of the night). I hope you are feeling some better too. It's really annoying to have several serious medical problems and then get something on top of that. I say let's be democratic and spread the wealth around.

Nap at lunchtime, huh, Mickey? I did that for a couple years when I was working part time. Then the office moved, and we no longer had underground parking. Most of the time in California it's so hot (with the greenhouse effect) that a nap in a car is life-threatening.

Any improvement, Joe? Usually you're so loud and boisterous (I mean, so full of pep), that your absence is greatly felt. Hope you bounce back like one of those super balls and soon.

Linda, do you have prognostications? When the pain will go away? How long before you know the results of the surgery? You know everydobby here has fingers, etc. crossed on your behalf.

Never heard of broccoli slaw, Granni. Sounds good to me. Is it raw like cabbage slaw? Gordon uses broccoli a lot in his stir fries.

You're right, Jodie. Never heard of those people you went to see at the concert. Was it rock? I have never been to a rock concert. My son used to go to the Grateful Dead concerts often. He has lots of recordings of same.

Ok, back later.

4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

No, I haven't gone back and read the conversations on volume 225 but I'm here anyway because it's so quiet.

I love your opinion about spicy food. Michigan is mixed on that but I agree with you.

I'm thinking especially about Carla and Linda and Elaine today. The rest of you know you who are and I'm sending hugs your way.

I'm a poet and I don't know it!

5. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

Rock, and Marta. The early birds get the worms....wonder where that comes from. Anyhow, I will share the worms with the rest of ya'll, no reason to be stingy.

I think that I will try to be somewhat useful today. The laundry waits impatiently.

Hello to all, I will check back later.

6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm here because its quiet too.

You're very lucky to have Gordon take care of you like that Rock, though my Tom does the same - we're both very lucky. Margheritis sound wonderful - I remember them well - can't drink I'm afraid and I do miss it.

We had 3 dry, sunny but cold days in a row - wonderful, today it is pouring rain, dark and dismal.

Oh and I have been up and dressed for 8 whole days - I've been waiting for this break so long.

I'm thinking of Carla too.

7. rockgor

Marta and Bevy, et. al. Thought I was going to have to do a whole page all by myself. Haha

Sophie feels her territory has been invaded, Marta. Gerald Durrell writes about two cats in a cage in one of his several books.

His brother was Lawrence Durrell who wrote elegant novels, but I couldn't plow through any of them. Gerald wrote a wonderful memoir about the family living on the isle of Corfu. I think it was in the 30s. Lawrence was fascinated w/ guns; Gerald w/ animals.

Bevy, it would make me crazy too if my boy wanted to go to Afghanistan. I guess the more you suggest it's not a good idea, the more they want to go.

My son wanted to go to college out of state. I told him in that case he'd have to find a new and wealthier papa.

Elaine, don't you think you're having surgery? It was called surgery when they shot laser beams in my eyes. Took a minute or two; a blinking red light. Instant improvement in my vision.

As Dave Barry says, make sure the dr. sets the machine on Delicate Eye Surgery and not on Melt Tractor!

Julie, glad to hear you've got a home base and phone numbers, etc for Guatemala. I think you're very brave. Even if I were healthy I wouldn't attempt what you and hubby are doing.

Did I miss anydobby? Hope not. Hugs and waves to Rosie and Kylob and Carla and Joan and Kilroy and things too fierce to mention.

Ha det bra

8. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Thanks Rock for starting my day with a smile. Love your poem and thanks a lot for making me hungry already. I love meatloaf and roast beef, yum. You are one lucky guy. Once it get really hot outside, I won't be able to take my naps in the car, however I take care of the management of this building so I have keys to every door in the building. I will find somewhere to sleep. LOL

Well today is Administriative Assistant Day and everyone is cooking for 4 of us girls who handle the admin stuff. We all received flowers this morning too. That was really nice. I wonder what is for lunch. Maybe it is meatloaf and roastbeef, LOL

Marta, Bevy and Rosie you girlies are up early. I think I will skip on the worms. Not much of a worm eater unless they are gummy worms.

Lincamp - Glad you are back. I am so glad surger went well and you are back with us. We missed you lots and were worried about you. Kylob did keep us apprised when you came out of surgery. You take it easy and get some needed rest girlie.

Julie - I just have to say I am really going to miss you. You have always been such a help to me and you bring smiles to all of our faces everyday. I so wish there was a way you could keep in touch with all of us. Please take care and have fun.

Hello to everyone else!!

9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I had better start this post or it may not get done today. I will be getting picked up after awhile for a club ladies luncheon. Then will cook a quick dinner for DH ane then off to choir practice tonight. I already started a wash, so I fell that I have at least accomplished something qround here. I should be out their painting again but I am not going to even try. All that changing of clothes is a real pain, including all the painting. I always get full of paint when I do any painting.

Mickey - feel free to pop in anytime for your painting time !!! Everyone else too. Somehow I can really tell you are all excited about doing so. I am not even sure our artistic ones like Carla would be thrilled at painting the deck/porch. I know that I will be very busy with all this stuff on saturday - UGH !! Such fun, I cannot stand the wait !!

Rock - Thanks again for your great waker upper/ square dance call !! Yes, it is alot of fun and sort of do still miss it. If I were, I probably wouldn;t be gaining weight in all the wrong places !! Wow, I would love to try all of Gordon's faoods, sounds delicious incuding his CA/ Tex Mex foods. Sound yummy and I would even try your not so spicy guacamole !!!

Oh, the broccoli slaw was great. I made a big bowl. I buy the broccoli slaw cut up in the bags ( it is probably the stems cut in thin strips like cabbage for slaw.) Then add your favorite dressing. I bought it but you can make it too. I also add some cut up scallions or green onion. Unfortunaly, you cannot always find the packages of broccol slaw..Around here the only plave I have foudn it is Kroger . It was not by the coleslaw mixes (cabbage). It was in with the different salad mixes. The packages are small and not the cheapest . I bought 4 packages because of their size.

Julie - When did you say you were leaving for Belize? I just keep forgetting or not seeing your post when you posted it. We surely will be missing you my dear. However, hope for updates from your daughter or whoever will be sending them. We will miss your energy and your dear heart !!!

Marta, Bevy and Rosie - I think I agree with Mickey. I will skip on those worms. Hope you are all doing well. Marta, keep those kitties in line (-: !! Or do they have you in line (-: ???!!

Linda - So glad you are home now. Just take it easy and REST !!!, and eat some chicken soup. It should hep your throat too. They always say to do that so it can't be bad for after surgery too. I hope that the surgery will help with your pain. Talk to you later when you are rested up a bit.

Carla - we are of course thinking of you and the services, etc. for your mom. Hope everything goes well. Come back when you feel up to it.

Elaine - Thinking of you today also undergoing your radiation. Hope it doesn't make you hurt much down there afterwards. Gotta get rid of those "pesky little varmints "causing the problems" or that can cause you problems (-: !!

Jodie - I remember you poppoing up o thata last cvolume but I can't remember what you said and I can't go check unless I lose all that I hava written already. Hope all is going well with you hon. How is your pesky math doing? Believe me I understand that delimma. Keep up the hard work !!

Oh, I remember that Cody has not decided where to go to college. Doesn't he have to let them know pretty soon? I forget. Is he getting a partial scholaship or break in the tuition, etc.?? Oh also glad you had fun going out with your girlfriend.

Candy - Hi there sweetie. Hope all is going well with you with not to much more bad stuff going on in your life. You surely do not need it. Hope to hear from you soon. I'll be out tonight again to choir practice but that is the only evening this summer I have to be out. So, that is a good thing !

Hi and BIG HUGS also to everydobby I have not mentioned!!

[This Message was Edited on 04/23/2008]
  10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

sorry I didnt know you were having surgery.

I hope you make a quick recovery Lyn and I hope your laser treatment goes well Elaine.

11. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Sorry I was gone yesterday as I had "administrative" problems
    with my internet provider. I evidently attempted to pay my
    Juno Bill with a number off another plastic card unrelated to
    banks! The problem thankfully is now resolved that "Guido"
    acknowledged the "mis-take". Ya know what I'm sayin?

Anyway, read all the Posts and now am current with all, hope

Great that you are home, Linda, and that you're not in
    much pain! Hope the recovery goes well and quickly! So good
    to have family and loving friends for support.

'"Eliane, I hope all goes well with your coming surgery also.
    It's wonderful how surgical procedure has improved over the
    years as well as recovery times. Best wishes to you Elaine.

Carla, do hope you are doing well! Come by and see us when
    you feel you can! I know how difficult these times can be
    in so many ways! Your inner strength will serve you well as
    it has in the past.

Julie: It is indeed a great sacrifice to leave family, friends and home. I wish all your endeavors well and trust
    you will contact us at any possible opportunity! Special
    "Huggles" to you as you take on a new life adventure!

Hey Marta, Sophie and Honey! Hope you Girls are all doing well. Can't wait to see Honey's pic "in the Buff"!!

Hey to Rocky, Granni, Georgia, Mr M and all others that
    know I'm thinking of ya (some how)! Katch ya later,"K"?

P.S. Guido wants to remind you that lots of "souvies" from
    the Pope's visit are still available on his website! (But
    the Bobble-Heads are going quickly!)
  12. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Granni, I am so sorry about helping to paint the porch. I could definetly do it this Saturday. I don't think I have anything planned yet. What time do you need me???

I am getting ready to go into the conference room for my admin asst. day luncheon. Yippee. I wonder what kind of food it is. I will let you all know after lunch.

Elaine, I hope everything went well for you today. Please let us know.

Carla, I know you are really busy with everything. I do hope you can find some rest. We are praying for you.

MrDad, did you forget to pay your bill. LOL I see you forgot your number, well it looks like Guido fixed it for you and you are up and running again. So glad, it wouldn't be the porch without you and Rock that is for sure.

Candy, where have you been? Where is everyone, come on out of the bushes you all. The porch is so nice today, it is 72 sunny and the birds are singing and Rock's lemonaide is delicious.

13. jole

jole Member

I've been gone for awhile and missed all of you.....spent a week with my daughter, her hubby and year old son. I was looking forward to it soooo much because I always feel better at their house.

Unfortunately, this time wasn't good at all. So much pain and fatigue that we couldn't go anywhere or do anything, which was very disappointing. We did manage an hour or so two days for scrapbooking at her house.

I did enjoy watching "my" baby and all his antics. He's such a little go-getter, on the run, and keeps mom very occupied! Didn't have the strength to even hold him, but did read him a couple of stories sitting beside me on the couch. He loves books!

The ride home (4 1/2 hours) did me in, and I was overly tired and couldn't sleep, of course. Then the next day had a migraine with such terrible knots all over my body. But finally am a little better today.

Anyway, it's good to see you all again.
    Rock, thanks for your humor to get the day started. You seem to have lots of energy going on right now, and I'm very happy for you!

Julie, I see you have traded homes with family, and are leaving soon. I too wish you the very best. You have had a wonderful calling to minister to others in a very special way, and I know you will succeed. I will certainly miss you, along with all the others. You are a very dear person!

Linda, great to hear you're home. Hope you recover soon and are back to par soon.

Elaine, good luck with your surgery. My daughter had the laser for abnormal cervical cells about 6 months ago, and it was painful at the time but not afterward. Will be thinking of you!

Carla, you poor girl! I've been where you are and although each of us feel things differently, I also pushed through and did well all the way through the funeral and clearing out of her house. But about 3 months later it really hit hard. So if it happens to you, remember it is normal, okay? My prayers are with you!

MrDad, glad you survived the Pope's visit and all. I want a t-shirt, but you can keep the bobble heads, okay? You know, I understand what you're saying about the "plastic". I once tried to pay for my groceries with the gas card.

Well, best go for now. Hi to everyone I didn't answer to. Love you all!
  14. laceymae

laceymae New Member

I had to sit that dance out.

It has been beautiful here for 3 days. Seventies and plenty of sunshine. Haven't got as much done outside as I wanted too... not much energy.

Had my first hummingbird of the season...I know it sounds silly, but I go so excited. I love to watch them.

Hope all are feeling better, so much sickness(more than the usual stuff).

Carla...I am thinking of you today.

hey to everyone...brain freeze so I won't name everyone, but I do appreciate you guys...

love and hugs
  15. bct

bct Active Member

And thought I'd get off my horse (I wish!) and have a glass of lemonade myself. I'll pop mine into the micro. if you don't mind, though it WILL mess up the ice a little. I prefer mine warm.

Rock: sounds like you have a real gem in Gordon, with him doing all the cooking and all. It's pretty much the same here, though Richard tries to make me eat too much some of the time, and I have to hide food when he's not looking.
    And by the way Rock, thanks for reminding me of the Durrell bros. books. I read them all a long time ago, but have some hanging around the house somewheres, and I may re-read them. Gerald is lots of fun; I especially enjoyed the Corfu book.

Laceymae: Glad to see you have had your first hummer of the year! They always lift my spirits too. I don't have a feeder, but there are plenty of things for them to feed on here. Sometimes they come up to the window to get little bugs when the nectar supply is low, and to collect gossamer for their nests.

All you other Porchies, thanks for the pleasure of your company. I always read your posts, and I wish you all well.

Bye for now

16. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Just skippin gin to say glad ypou are home and recovering somewhat Lin , and Elaine, good luck today. Also thinking of Carla.

Lovely day here, hope you are out on your porch Lin, the blossoms are so lovely right now and so welcome after that too long winter.

Mrdad glad you are doing a little better, and you to Rock.

And hi granni, fibro,rosie and all others I have missed out here.

Spent the morning in school at meetings. Poor Danny, they overworked him again and he could hardly walk DO they KNOW what Rheumatoid Arthritis does? An aide told him to quit whining about his legs!!! Gee and this school is so good normally, this is a new aide. Plus his poor eyes were all swollen on top opf the swelling due to being out in the sun-I complained, it is tantamount to neglect really. With his autism he will not speak up.

We are building a fence. The yard has one but we are putting an interior one up off the covered patio so the cats can play out there and also I will do the veggies. This means rearranging the patio to take up the whole space instead of the half space we have trellissed in right now. It will take a few days but should be great when done and the cats will love getting to the grassed area.

After this we have a whole list of painting and primping work to do before it gets too hot. Could do with Gordy doing the cooking for us, but I am with you Rock re spices cept I love curry.

Love to all, annie
  17. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Barry/Rock- Durrell books - read them years ago too -two brothers Gerald and Lawrence - a talented duo, I remember the Corfu books too, what a marvellous childhood they had.

Anne - I'm appalled at what was said to Danny by the new aide, poor wee man. Some people are just in the wrong jobs.

Linda - what was your operation for? Take care of yourself til you feel better.

Lacey - we don't get hummingbirds here, wish we did. We have two resident robins at the moment - our birds are much smaller than those in N America and robins are fiercesome wee creatures, they will fight to the death over a good garden.

Julie, a safe journey and I hope your ministering goes well and you are able to help lots of people.

Mickey, Mr Dad, anyone I've missed, hope to be here more often.

Granny - broccoli slaw? how do you make that, never heard of it but I do like broccoli.
  18. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Rosie -

Just look at the beginning of this volume where I posted to Rock about Broccoli slaw. It comes in packages like the packages of coleslaw mix made from cabbage). This one is made probably from the stems and the stalks of the broccoli, not the flowerets. It is cut very finally like the cabbage slaw. It is really very flavorful. Just add your own dressing or the ones in the bottles or jars for coleslaw.

The worse thing is all the stores do not carry it. I get it from Krogers in TX. Wallyworld and Brookshires don't carry it around here, maybe Randalls might too. They just closed the one around here.

Glad you are seeing some birdies around your area. We are not having spring here. It has turned to summer (-: !!

Hugs and blessings,

[This Message was Edited on 04/23/2008]
  19. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

First, Candi sorry about your brother and I hope he is doing OK.

I am crying right now as the darn hospital called back and really could not get anything that relevant from the second biopsy, but then immediately went on to suggest we put Danny (13) on large dose of Accutane!!! Just on a hunch I guess, yet all the hunches they had over the last year or more have been totally wrong. I pointed out that a major side effect of Accutane was --DEATH --and he sort of poopooed that, although there is a large torte right now against the makers. I sometimes think that just because Danny has autism they think he has no value. They just say try this med and if it doesn't kill him then it could cure him, which seems ass backwards to me. Also the biopsy shows no sign of the solid edema granules that would suggest he has this solid facial edema condition, plus he really has only very mild acne, which one would not see as a precursor-they gave him everything else so why not try the most lethal??? I am so upset.

I just called the Cleveland Clinic as our doctor wants us to try and get him there.

Thanks for listening I am just so very upset.

Love Annie
  20. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I am so sorry Danny is having to go through all this, and you as his mother. Also, I read your post earlier about what that therapist said to him and that is horrible, there is no reason to talk to anyone like that. I think I would get him/her fired for sure.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Candy - you are a lifesaver for your sister, Mom and brother. Sounds like you are always there for them. They are lucky to have you. Just please keep you health up and get some rest too.

Elaine, I read you update on lasering and I am glad everything went well on your first treatment. Hopefully the next two will take care of the problem. My prayers are with you as well.

As for as all you other porchies, I am getting ready to shut down and head home. It is so nice out tonight, I have to pick daughter up from school, cook dinner then take Jack for his 2 mile walk and hopefull get this all done before American Idol comes on, although, we are recording it just in case. It is better that way anyway, we can fast forward through all the commercials and the boring parts.

Take care and I will chat tomorrow morning. I never have time at night to get on computer.

Love you all