Porchlight is on Vol 96 (Closed)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mrdad, Mar 29, 2007.

1. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Ya here yet?
    [This Message was Edited on 04/01/2007]
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Joe, I left a message, or tried to, for you at craigslist.

Just went back to Vol. 95 to read and see that you got off Lexapro, Joe, and now use melatonin for sleep. Can I assume you slid of the drug easily and that the Mel does work for sleep?

And hey, 'spose you could close 94? I keep tripping over it. Thanks. M.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/29/2007]
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Greetings all porchies,

Sorry but I know that I have also been one of those lurkers the past few days. I have had little time on the computer and when I did check the porch I did not really have time to "chat" with you all. Haven't been able to check the porch at night as I have had choral practices two days in a row.

Glad that most of you are doing better.

Jens - Glad that you got a shot and are feeling better and cleaning up a storm..If you have any extra time could you hop over to my house to do some cleaning ?( I am sure fat chance!!) Actually I did some cleaning yesterday and running to the store and bank with DH and did some of my own stuff. Have to do some more cleaning up and organizing for company coming Easter week, tomorrow.

Yes, isn't it nice when the little ones amuse themselves so you can get things done??? Ah, I remember the days !!! also the days when they took naps so I could do what was needed OR take a nap myself. However, in those days I usually didn't do to much napping.

Having company tomorrow night after we go out to dinner. DH has been busily painting but had to wait for a friend to come and move the heavy desk so he could paint behind it. Lucikly I have escaped the painting so far but if I hme I end up cleaning up the painnt brushes, etc. (Goody, goody !!)

Hi Marta. Mrdad, Rafiki and Jodie. Glad things seems to being going pretty well for all of you. I am glad there have been no more crisis' happening on and off the porch. Just needed to check on you all today.

Yes, the weather is getting warmer hear and I think shorts weather is here for us or almostl. Many are wearing them already. The problem with me is when I get into the stores and restaurants, I am freezing with the a/c on so much and fans. Hope you are all experiencing some good weather also. The flowers are blooming and you all should see the wild bluebonnets and "paintbrushes" the name of another wildflower all around here.

Hope you all have a great weekend if I don't get back to you tomorrow or tonight again.

Warm hugs to all,

4. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Thanks for trying to reach me via Craigslist. I've
    tried to fine it both in California (SF) and Michigan
    (metro Detroit) without success? Which State and cat-
    egory is it under? What did the "salutation" to me say?

The Melatonin is very good! See if your can get a Used
    copy of "Nutritional Healing" by Phyllis and James Balch
    My Daughter (Lyme Victim) gave me one as a present. Lots
    of good info that is completely understandable in it!

I know we will figure this "Craigslist" thingy out real
    soon! Even leave it on the Metro Detroit site and I
    can find it. I can contact you indirectly thru the
    Craigslist Email address in blue Pers- etc----

"We shall 'talk" in a while"

[This Message was Edited on 03/29/2007]
  5. ckball

ckball New Member

I am still alive and have been so busy that I haven't read the last 2 porch posts.

It is all good and I got this emal today and wanted to share since i can't really address all.

My roof is on and is gorgous red, the deck screen will go in tomorrow. And I have to work Fri and Sat at the shop.

I hope everyone is doing well and if not I hope you get better soon. Carla

Something to think about!!

There was once a blind girl who hated herself for no other reason except
    that she was blind. She hated everyone, except her loving boyfriend.

He was always there for her. She said that if she could only see the world,
    she would marry her boyfriend. One day, someone donated a pair of
    eyes to her and then she could see everything, including her boyfriend.

Her boyfriend asked her, "Now that you can see the world, will you marry
    The girl was shocked when she saw that her boyfriend was blind. Not wanting
    to be burdened by a 'blind' person, she refused to marry him. Her loving,
    devoted and understanding boyfriend walked away in tears. His heart obviously

The girl who had been so fortunate to have the world opened up to her,
    continued enjoying it; day in and day out.... trying to never miss a single
    pleasure life had to offer.

One day she received a letter her ex-boy friend which stated simply.......
    I sincerely hope you enjoy your life. Your happiness was all that ever mattered to me. I am so
    happy that you are enjoying life as I always hoped you could. I would like to ask one parting
    favor of you my dear .

Just take care of my eyes."

This, as sad as it may seem, is how the human brain changes when our status
    changes. Only a few remember what life was like before and who's always been there even in the
    most painful situations.

Life Is A Gift

Today before you think of saying an unkind word -
    Think of someone who can't speak.

Before you complain about the taste of your food -
    Think of someone who has nothing to eat.

Before you complain about your husband or wife -
    Think of someone who's crying out to God for a companion.

Today before you complain about life -
    Think of someone who went too early to heaven.

Before you complain about your children -
    Think of someone who desires children but they're barren.

Before you argue about your dirty house, someone didn't clean or sweep -
    Think of the people who are living in the streets.

Before whining about the distance you drive -
    Think of someone who walks the same distance.

But before you think of pointing the finger or condemning another.
    Remember that not one of us are without sin and we all answer to one maker.

And when depressing thoughts seem to get you down -
    Put a smile on your face and thank God you're alive and still around.

Life is a gift...

Thank God for it...

Live it...

Enjoy it...

Celebrate it...

And fulfill it.

6. Granniluvsu

Thanks for sending us that little story. I think I have heard it before at one time but thanks so much for sending it to us again .. We all need a reminder like that !!

BTW, glad that you are almost done with your porch. It sounds really neat and soon you will have a great place to do all your glass art work. I don't remember if you said if it was done or not but the roof was on I think you said.

Hope you are feeling fairly well. Yes we must all be thankful for what we CAN DO and not what we CAN'T !!

Blessings and warm hugs,

Granni (Marilyn)
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I think I'm doing something wrong, Joe. Again, please: what address am I to use on Craigslist? When I click on the blue address in your message to Sophie and write a response on Reply, it's obviously not getting to you. I'm keeping the subject line To Sophie. We'll keep trying. And thanks for the book recommend. I shall seek it out.

Dear Gang: I'm still having problems as a result, I truly think, of Sophie's presence, odd as that sounds even to me. She's sooooooooo bored and I feel very responsible for keeping her happy. I keep saying: It's a cat, Marta; it's a CAT. But it doesn't seem to matter, I am here for her pleasure day and night. She's a bit spoiled, methinks. And we do tend toward anxiety. Understatement?

ANYway..... I do think of all of you and hope each of your individual concerns are being resolved. I hope to return on an individual basis eventually.

8. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Oh boy, Huh? It's a good thing we aren't trying to
    do Postings for a "living". Don't undestand what is
    happening as this worked for Jodie and I.

I made a NEW Post for Soapie in Calfornia, San
    Francisco, "Men seeking woman" . It should be
    up in a few mins. and try responding while being
    certain that you are completing all the stages to
    the end when clicking on my top "per-" Craigslist
    link to my Email. "K"? I know it can be frustrating
    as "youtube" still hates me!!!

You're a Brave "Lil Soldier!!

9. mrdad

mrdad New Member

How great for you, me and the Sophie!

Take a "lookie see" at your E-mail, "K"?

10. mrdad

mrdad New Member

This time I think the E-mail problem may be "solved"?

I had SMG say a prayer the first time and it did NO

good! Guido said that he would try doing the Prayer

thing having lots of relatives around the Vatican and all!

We shall see!?

11. Granniluvsu

Greetings to ALL !

Not much time to write to all separatly and not sure if I will make it to the porch tomorrow. Actually, with everything going on around here and getting ready for OOT company for the holidays and week after, I may not make it much to the porch for awhile. So, I thought I would pop in anyway for a short time.

Solarstar - welcome to the porch !! Hope you'll come and stay while. There are lots of smart and fun people here , even if they may seem a bit looney now and then ( me included) (-: !! I am enjoying my singing but it has been wild lately getting ready for the holdays as well as our main choir temporarily changin practice days . So I am missing that one and then trying to play catchup

Right now am hopping between 3 groups and church choir. I do enjoy it as when I was home with the kids I was only able to sing with the church after we moved to TX. Did that for 25 years or so . When I was in HS I never could stay and do what I wasnt to. It was if you miss the bus I walked and it was a LONG way home. That is truly what we would now call "reverse busing". It was NOT in the best of neighborhoods.

Then after DH retired and moved again I gradually started picking up the other groups. Two of the groups we go to nursing homes and Assisted Living facilities. The Choral Society for our county is the most difficult but it is fun and challenging. Oh yes, I do push myself probably more than I should. For now I am hanging on and enjoying it. We'll see how long it lasts??

Marta - Well, when you really love your pets they are more like little children and yes she probably does want your company ALL the time (-: !! Also, like a toddler or a little older child, when you are the most busy she will be in your face looking for more attention.

Mrdad/Joe and Marta - looks like you have been busy trying to contact each other or something or another and not having much luck !! Busy busy !!! Yes, these computers and different sites can truly drive you crazy sometimes. HELP !!!

Hi to those lurking in the bushes and those busy and I hope feeling well! Hope Jodie is busy and doing what she should like all her studying and so on plus Cody and his games. Missed seeing her today. That math she was trying to do would send me into the psycho ward for sure !!! I was NEVER good at any of that.

Will hop in again whenever I get the time. If you do not see me fora while I am most likey just busy and trying to get ready for my company. My daughter and family from NC will be here next saturday, then other daughters hope to pop in to see her (the NC daughter and her husband and son).

Gotta get ready to go out to dinner tonight for DH's belated Birthday Bash !!

Warm hugs to all,

12. mrdad

mrdad New Member

"Cookie": I have a Theological question. Ya know
    RC's not 'posta eat Meat on Friday during Lent. I think?

That's why the FISH FRY, right? Well last nite I made
    some Chicken alfredo because Guido is so fond of
    it. It also has fresh broccoli added and is delicious!

If I eat it tonight, "but don't swallow" till mid-night,
    have I still committed a sin? (Kinda like I didn't en-
    hale thingy) Ya know what I'm sayin'?

P.S. Hope you are away from that bad weather
    in Texas! Stay safe. Those Fish may be comin'
    to you tonite![This Message was Edited on 03/30/2007]
  13. Granniluvsu

Well Joe/Joe,

First of all I think ia ALL started way back when we weren't supposed to eat meat on fridays. Don't ask me when that started cause I am not exactly sure. DH went to Catholic elementary and HS, not me ! I was an old PS kid !! I am not exactly the one to be asking. However :

After Vatican II they relaxed alot of the rules and changed lots of stuff as you know which I am not going into. In some ways I still sort of miss some of those Latin Masses. Of course I didn't know alot of what they were saying either.

Now, as I understand it they only want you to abstain from meat on fridays during Lent. For some reason my DH seems to think that chicken is not a meat so we can eat it, but we never do. He says that it is a poultry, not a meat !!I am not really sure about that but why did we just eat fish all those years and not chicken ? So I am a little confused too but we usually just eat fish and seafood.

Now, if I can confuse you a little more. You are exempt from this if you are over 60 or 65, I forget. I will have to ask DH. I know that WE are exempt anyway from days of fast and abstinence which is something else. I think those are Good Friday and Ash Wed. However, we usually do eat fish during Lent anyway, more of a giving up thing if you know what I mean?!

So, you may be exempt anyway, not sure of your age. It is really not a big deal to us not to eat meat on some fridays anymore. Sometimes we also may forget but that is OK too.

So, you may be able to eat that chicken anyway. BTW, that dish sounded really good. One we would like.

Don't know if I answered your question or got you more confused (-: !!

I just asked DH and he says the age is 65. So, if you are 65 or over go eat the chicken dish if you want to. If not that is your call (-: !!!! Many older people do it anyway as a type of self denial or whatever you want to call it. Very young children are exempt also. Are you going to give away your age? Just want to say that we are both over the age.

Bye for now. Hope I helped with your chicken dish dilemma !!

Have a wonderful weekend !

Huggles to you (I love that word)

"Cookie",aka Granni or Marilyn
  14. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Well Cookie, I am really impressed wiff your theolog-
    ical knowledge even down to Vatican ll. !! Tell Hubby
    unfortunately that "Chicken" IS meat, so he may find
    himself wiff me on an opposite flight. Seems to me
    though that, if we can call Tuna (chicken of the sea)
    the reverse should hold true for chicken as the Tuna
    of the earth!

Bel. that the 1st Fish Fry on Friday's started in the Med.
    Ages. A large group of fisherman on the present day
    Balkan Peninsula across from Italy, where experienc-
    ing a depression in the consumption of FISH in the
    area. They had a "caucus'" of "Lobbyist" to petition
    the Pope (name slips me at the moment) to enact
    a Papal decree making it a sin to eat meat of Friday
    (that included Chicken) as a means boosting sales
    of Fish and as an sacrifice of indulgence to obtain
    grace with God. I believe there were most likely the
    mandatory "kickbacks" such an advantage would
    warrant! (Ya know what I'm sayin')

All this went fairly well until a large army from Present
    Day Turkey arrived in the area and started multiple
    furniture factories and lots of fishermen converted
    so they could work there making "Ottomans". (There
    is some slight embellishment at this point) At which
    time the Ottoman Turks said, "it happened that way,
    movin' Northwest"! This Peoples after a short period
    of time divided up large areas of land under their
    control into "sectionals".

Tomorrow, we will be disgusting the earlier civilization
    of Persia which had prior to the Turks "carpeted'
    a large area of empire also! (Had to have somethin'
    to put those latter Ottomans on! Opps, the bell is

Marta: Have ya found my Email yet?

Not gonna eat that Chicken tonight "Cookie"! Got a
    frozen Beef Tamale in the boiling water and I've just
    been "killing" time on everyone else's!!

Hope all will have a great weekend!

[This Message was Edited on 03/30/2007]
  15. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

lincamp thank you for your help and the help me focus on school....

now i have been trying to get away from drama right gang?

you guys won't beleive what happened last night when i was watch a beer pong table in the back patio at a local pub...i had some dinner a yes, two beers...between the hours of 6 and closing time.

about 8:30 pm. this beautiful, tall blonde haired, blued young lady came out back asking if anyone knew leo. i was a little hesitant at first and she explained she is looking for her brother....i said yes, i do...then she extended out her hand w/a nice firm handshake. and a pretty smile. she said she has been at all these local bars and found he was kicked out of one of them. i said let's go talk privately...

she said her mom came down from oregan and she flew up from dallas. and she said she has been trying to get a hold of him all day and he isn't answering the phone and he had his gate locked.

i met the mother outside, then we came back in and sat in a quiet corner. the mother said we are both here to try and get him into aa or something only if he is willing. and that he had said some disturbing things to the both of them and wanted to intervene.

they wanted to know what i may know..i showed them my cell phone..they said we believe you. i gave them a brief run down on the thursday night he gave me a cab ride home then called me and i just showed up and heard him yelling at someone on the phone. and the mom said that was the first time he has ever done that to her. i told her he sent me up to his place then when he came in his house he just started going off on his mom and step-dad. i didn't give details...

then he started in on me and i left. showed where he called me the friday before st.paddy's day and said i apologize for not telling me the truth about having cancer and lied to me about having a bacterial infection. and he said i should start looking for a new bf. i said i do not know if this true or not, i have not seen films or paperwork.. and how i would hate to think he would lie about something like that and how he is telling everyone in novato about it...

they both said he had said some disturbing things to them..i didn't question it. they said he lies all the time and they just wanted to come get him in aa or something....

i said his exgf supposedly took him to the hosiptal appts. i don't know anything else. i said i am not a professional or anything but i think he may needs more than aa. more like some therapy and or rehab...

well the sister finally got ahold of him on the phone...then they left. i don't know what the outcome was. they said they would not mention anything that they saw/spoke w/me...i do hope they don't cause i don't want an ear full...i believe they have not or i would've gotten a nasty phone call by now.

the ironic thing is i called him up after class on thursday and i said hi it's me jodie. he asked how i was i told him just fine. and i asked him the same...he said real sh***Y, i said well atleast you're being honest about it...he said what do you mean by that? i said atleast he is being honest about his feelings. he said oh. i said have you had a chance to find those things..? he said no. he said he will call me when he is ready to talk to me about what is going on. i said ok we said good byes...

well i don't think i will getting those things back anytime soon..so i will just write them off.

i met another man-no date-i may have a possible job for cody on computers making like 25-30$ an hour. so i had cody call him up and they spoke computer stuff...david is going to email him some work...the first project will be tester and if cody can do that then he will pay him for the next jobs...

just a lead for him possibly...this guy also said he could tutor me in math...he has a math major said he would charge me 10$ an hour..cheaper than this other guy in novato..

also he said once a month he has a group people go up to bogdega(sp) bay to his house and has a nice spiritual time.

he said call him anytime i want to go...he said he does it on the first weekend of every month.

so last night was a little stressful meeting leo's mom and sister, but i did make a possible good connection for cody for his future in computers...

marta keep working on that craigslist.com if i can do it you can to!

hugs rafki, rockgor, graniluvsu, jen and everyone else that took the time to read this story! whew!

16. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Just another very quick note to the Porchies.

A treat! I suggest those who care to, like Marilyn and Joe for sure, to go to NPR.org and click on Singing From the Pulpit. Once there you'll be able to hear three of Susan Werner's songs on her new CD which I enjoy a lot (I'd begin with the last one) - and I don't think they'll offend anyone here. The CD is called The Gospel Truth. Great lyrics and catchy music. I found myself bopping and singing along.

Great to see Linda again! We're happy to hear from you from aaaaaaaanywhere.

Joe, still need to figure out the craigslist thing. I haven't had the NRG/time. I'm sure it's PICNIC problem (person in chair, not in computer).

Hugs alllllll around,

[This Message was Edited on 03/31/2007]
  17. mrdad

mrdad New Member

You must have just Posted. I received your two Emails

and responded to your own Email address with your

"real name" and Email carrier address. You should

have rec. it as there has been no indication on my

Email sight that it was not able to go through??

Gonna send you another short one while you are

waiting for Soapie to wakeup from her mid-morn.

nap. "K"?

18. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Cookie: That Beef Tamale was great! But hope
    that other place isn't gonna' be any Hotter than the
    Cummin and Chili pepper in it! I'm gonna have that
    Chick Alfredo left over tonight me thinks. Ya being
    safe and dry down there in the "Great State of Texas"
    I hope. Do ya ever "bump" into J.R. or that whinney
    Lush wife of his--Linda? Don't know why he puts up
    with her. But now Lady Bird (Byrd) is gracious and is
    more my "spe-e-e-e-d" anyway!

Marta and I are FINALLY hooked up on the Email
    exchange and I apologize if I dominated the Porch
    Thread in that pursuit! But we together now; me, she
    and the So-phie! What a lucky guy, I have two ladies
    to keep me awake all nite now!

Need a coffee refill! Miss lots of Folks and I'm spec-
    ially thinking of Ali and Shannonsparkles at the mo-

19. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

you close your little black book of numbers...i don't want to miss out on such a fine catholic man, like yourself.

i stayed home last night and did some math homework...finally decided i needed to go to be early. well midnight. then i kept have all sorts of dreams and numbness in my hands. i need my carpal tunnel fixed. i guess i could try to scedule some around or between school breaks. i was thinking about going this summer.

no vacations for me probably.

if i have one it will be in the hosipital an home re-couperating from the cts...he says it is a quick recovery thought. he does laprascopy surgery..

well trying to get someone to go to the beach wiff me..

i called cody's gf to see if she could tutor me anytime today and tomarrow.

lots of hugs to everyone on the board. and marta glad you finally hooked up wiff mr.dad.

now we know who to go to if we need eachother's email, mr.mack daddy joe.

20. mrdad

mrdad New Member

There are so many beautiful Beaches over your way!
    What's too bad is that Stinson Beach is so beautiful
    but the weather is so "iffy" wiff the Fog etc. Drake's
    Bay is as well although I haven't been there in years.
    Considering the high population of the Bay Area they
    did a better job of preserving coastal beauty than
    normally would be expected with development etc.

Jenner is great also. Went to the Russian River
    often wiff my Family while growing up. That was
    before Interstate 80 was built and Tahoe became
    so available! Everyone went "Up the River" in the
    Summer Except people from N.Y. State!!! Marta S.
    not withstanding!!

When you email me next, do the address by which
    you wish a return. I'm Somewhat confused with the
    choice of Two Addressess?

Well, enjoy the Sun today!

"Talk" later', "K"?
    [This Message was Edited on 03/31/2007]