Porchlight is on, volume 481

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, May 10, 2010.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Rosin on the bow and here we go!

All join hands and circle the floor.
    Stop at home; now do it some more.

Allemande left with the old left hand.
    Kiss your Sweetie, ain't life grand!

Forward and back. Step light as foam.
    Now form a star, and all go home.

2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

You are right you still do have your mind :) !! ! I also saw Georgia's posting and aremember adding to it . When I popped in this afternoon it had disappeared. I almost did what you did but had to run . I looked and looked and it wasn't there. Either Georgia deleted it by accident or who knows what.

Thanks for starting us up again ROCK.. I am still eating that strawberry bread !! MMMM good. Thanks Georgia ! !

Gotta run and thanks again Jinlee for proving that I was not crazy either.

Georgia - hope you are feeling and doing OK. !!

Love to everydobby,
    [This Message was Edited on 05/10/2010]
  3. springwater

springwater Active Member

Linda - :) nice to see you and catch up

Teacher - is the fuss sorted out re teachers, so many things seem to keep happening at the school

This post wil be a bit short as lights soon go out

Carla posted pics of her doggies new friend on FB

Lots of things going on here and tryng to stay on top

sons exams start tomorrow

yesterday my chinese friend dropped in with her sis, the house was a mess
    i gave her some hydrangea cuttings she asked for; since she called before
    coming i went out and got some steamed dumplings for her from restaurant

sent hobbes to the vet to check out his lump doc says no worries

son suppposed to call me from after his tutions so i can join him at a monastery
    to pray; need to wear clothes get ready

my watch still lost, damn the help

days nice and cool, looks like rain

love you all

God Bless

4. Granniluvsu

All the regular Porchies are someplace else so really glad that you all popped in :) !

Georgia - Hope you are doing OK sweetie. You started this Porch volume and then it disappeared. Let us know how you are doing.

Spoke to MICKEY on FB and she seems to be doing well and had a good Mothers Day.

DH is off to play golf and I need to go outside and do some more weeding before it gets to hot.

A BIG HI to awl !

5. Granniluvsu

Just got back from singing practice and so am now preheated the oven so I can stick my chicken and stuffing casserole in there soon.

Georgia - glad you are ok and that you just deleted Porch volume you started up by accident. I know what you mean. It is so easy to do. Slorry to hear that you deleted something at work. It is so frustrating.

Gotta run now and fix dinner. DH neeads the puter !

6. Granniluvsu

I hope what your lawyer said to you is true. That woman is something else - very sick I would say. However, if you have the tapes of her calls and suich I would say you have her dead to rights as they say. That person needs to get whatever she gets. Although I supposew for this trial it is just to get her off your back. She is definatly a menace to society and that is just taking nicely about her.

She really does need to get some type of punishment but do not know if she will get anything other than a slap in the wrist and to be made to keep away from you. However, for her that is punsishment. I think she takes joy in making you miserable ! Now, that is one sick person doing and saying those things to you to make you feel so desperate. I would like to strangle her myself (!!!

Well, lots of hugs to you and to awl here on the Porch and geatting ready to go nighty night. Speaking of gaetting ready for bed., I had better start.

P.S. Rock - thanks for starting us up with your square dance call !!

Love to you and all my wonderful Porchies,
  7. springwater

springwater Active Member

Rock - thank you for opening up; i am getting quite expert at the old square dance. Do they do square dancing these days at functions and all i wonder? I hope they dont let this tradition die out.

Jinlee - thank for dropping by and as u can see u are not losing yr mind

Linda - now both yr daughters will soon be in college. Im sure your one daughter looked
    beautiful at the prom. How exciting. Did u click pics?

Bill- thanks for dropping by. Do continue to keep popping in. sometimes us porchies may be too caught up or out of energy to post but we do lurk mostly

Granni - what would we do without you and your regular posts keeping everybody informed and the porch up and running. I keep saying i wish u was in my family, would have been so comforting.

Georgia - nice to know you spoke to yor nephew, he sounds nice. Family dynamics, i suppose its the same everywher in the world.

Elaine - I hope what yur lawyer wsaid wil come to pass and this extremely stressful situation with your sis and her partner will be a thing of the past.

Today is going to be a steaming hot day i can tell. Groan! Yesterday afternooon i went in the blazing sun to the monastery to pray for sons s exams. Both him and me went.

In the evening i took a walk in the cool dark night to the supermarket and shops and got son and me pizza for dinner.

Chinese friend called yesterday to say thanks for the juice and dumplings and that i should get the help to tidy up rather than letting them stay idle. Told her ive just lost my watch and cant keep following them as they clean i dont hav energy. one other of our friends has 'chemical imbalance' (friend is scared to use the word 'depression' and one other very smart friend of thiers in India took his own life due to this 'chemical imbalance' so she now understands more than she would have earlier.

God Bless

BILLCAMO New Member

My next door neighbor's son ended his future in the same way for the same reason(s)......so to speak.

Taking a chance this ends up in the correct place , my wife had her friend drive her to home state about 2,500 miles away. About 2 1/2 weeks ago.....Some of you may have known & now the rest of you do.

PLEASE , no "I'm sorries......".....She , so far , is much happier there.... A person can only do as much as they can do........

I couldn't move there & she couldn't stay here.....

I DO HATE these DD's.......Perhaps answers will be found in the future ! I pray so.......

Blessings ,

9. Granniluvsu

Gee, we've got another very sleepy Porch lately. Wish some of those MIA's would come back soon! However, I am glad that our dear Rock, Sweet Spring Water, Georgia, B/C and Elaine came for a quick visit. Sorry that some of you are having to go through some hard times but I guess as they say "such is life" and we all just do what we can. Yes, these DD's surely do not help at all. In fact I could do completely withouyt it. However, since I have had this FM,CMPS etc. for over 25 yrs. I wouldn't really know what it feels like to be normal again - whatever that is,

DH is osut playing golf and I wam taking a break before hopefully finishing my vacuuming. I did the first part of the house and now hope to finish the other part. When DH comes back he will want to eat I know !!

Well everydobby I guess I am off to try and finish my vacuuming - what fun - YUCK !

10. rockgor

I'm having a p-nut butter sandwich for brunch. It's "gourmet"
    because it's toasted (like Lucy Strikes) and accessorized w/
    dill pickle chips.

Did you know peanut butter started out as a health food? So
    did Post Toasties, Postum, and Coca Cola.

Granni and Georgia, used to be lots of postings on the topic
    of strawberry and other batter breads. Which reminds me,
    Gordon bought a bread making machine some years ago.
    For several months we had delicious home-made bread. Then
    he put the machine away, and I haven't seen it for at least a

Wish you could come by more often, Linda. Well, wish I
    could too. HaHa! Give my regards to Broadway or Lucie
    Lou, whichever you see first.

Springwater, I always get hydrangeas and hyacinths mixed
    up. Looked 'em up. It's the hydrangeas that look like old
    fashioned ladies' hats. There's a nursery Gordon and I visit
    every Spring. It always has rows of hydrangeas in pastel

Bill, you're right. A person can only do as much as he or she
    can. Victor Mollo, author of a couple dozen books on bridge,
    used to quote the French adage. "Even the most beautiful girl
    in the world can only give so much."

I don't know if it's really French though. I suspect he made it up.

Granni, did DH get a bogey or an eagle? Ask him if he
    knows these old terms for golf clubs: Niblick, mashie, spoon,
    jigger. Maybe he'll want to quiz his golfing buddies.

Speaking of British authors, P. G. Wodehouse wrote a book of
    short stories, all about golf and young love.

Jinlee, drop in when you can.

Teacher, did you have the big concert yet? When is school
    out? Another 3 weeks or so? Hope things settle down.

Well, time for a nap. If I have a little N R G this afternoon,
    I'm making tuna casserole. If not, I may just eat the tuna
    right outta the can.

John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith
    (not my real name)

(My real name is John Jacob Jingleheimer Jones.)

Oh, Hi Victoria. Glad to see you're back, even if only briefly. Gordon brought home a
    plant last week. It's a vine w/ variegated leaves. Yellow and Green; very colorful.
    He said he though the name was vinca.

Sounds sort of Russian. The Grand Duchess Olga Vinca Romanov. Anyhoo,
    I don't know much about it. Don't dare look it up now. Might lose my post

Well, Land O Goshen! I first posted this on the Loungers thread. My Alzheimer's is getting
    so bad I can barely spell "Alzheimer's".
  11. teacher

teacher New Member

One concert down, one more to go. Will be finished Friday.

So excited aobut everything this week, have managed to froget to take stay awake pills two days in a roow!

Is only 5:30 here and I'm throwing in the towel. It's bedtime for Bonzo.

Supposed to get hair done tomorrow after school. Don't know if will have enough energy to post. will do my best to get on here this weekend to tells youse all about the concerts.

Tuesday went really really well. Mommy got to go!

Friday should be jsut as good. Mom says she'll come to that too, if her friend Arthrur Itis issn't visiting.

Love you!

Mean it!
  12. Granniluvsu

Spent my dad at CVS abd Wally World looking and shopping while DH was out to meetings. At least I do not have to cook tonight as we are going out to a special French dinner. It should be very intertesting and yummy. OPnly had some of it one time when we were in France, I think.

Julie = So glad to hear from you and to hear all is well other than you are whiped out, nothing new there I am sure with all you do.. There is so mcuh to look forwards to, Lindsey's baby and Amy's wedding and of course the usual Kiera :) !! I am wondering if Miss Kiera is going to get a little jealour of all the attention given to the baby, but then maybe not since she is not her sister, but who knows. Just give her her speicl big girl attention and I think she will be fine. So sorry that David will be leaving soon. I hope he will get to come back to see the baby when it is born but at least the rest of the family will be there for her.

Georgia - Is there anything you can bye for Roxie to play with that she cannot destroy. She is such a big girl even though still a pup and going through all its stages. Hope Grandpa's x-ray turns out well. That is so scary. Has been coughing much lately or is this just for a checkup.

Sorry Ca is in such a mess. Hope it will get better soon, at least we can all hope.

Rock - What havae been up to? I see you were busy giving recipes to Laura and others on the CC board. You like to cook as much as I :) !! I did like to more befoire I got feeling horrible which was years ago but I am stuck since Dh is not a cook other than open a can, make eggs, steak, hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill ,, TV dinner,set. You get the idea. You are lucky to have Gordon who loves to cook,

JHole- How are you doing? Haven't heard from you in so long. I know you probably haven't been feeling that great yourself and have to try and keep up you sister's spirits, etc. How hard that must be.

Hugs to everydobby !

13. teacher

teacher New Member

Concerts all done.

Hair turned out great.

Am tired.

Will try to post later when have more brain power.

Lovey you!
  14. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

So much has happened since I last talked to all of you. A week ago yesterday, my daughter-in-law's sister and husband were shot and killed by her ex-husband who then shot h imself! It has been a long and messy affair for my son and his wife.!

DIL joined by her mother and sister, flew to the home to help out t he adult children. The whole thing was awful and I don't want to write about it here as I might offend one of your religions. That is the last thing I would want to do.

It has been on our minds for a week. So happy that aDIL is home again.

Last Sat., there were 15 of my family here - coming loaded with tools, (the good kind), lots of good food for 3 meals, and lots of energy and desire to work. What a wonderful Mother's day gift!!! They rebuilt the entry to the screened in porch (it had rotted from rain that seeped in),
    Scrubbed the walls of the screened in porch (I have been looking at them for 2 yrs. and hating the dirt on them), Took down my bedroom lace curtains and the flounce above them, took down kitchen curtains, (I ran the washer), and scrubbed the bedroom woodwork. My 2 sisters-in-law granddaughters by marriage just laughed and had the best time doing it together.

Then they trimmed every tree on the prooperty, took out dead limbs and sprouts around them, got on the roof to loosen a dead branch and got it down with chain saw and puilleys, bagged it all, took my old grill and glider on the deck to the street for trashman, cleaned out the shed (don't know what they got rid of and don't want to know) Then my granddaughter and male friend decided to paint all of the trim on the dwnstairs part of the house-both primer and good coat.

My mind is getting tired to thhink of rest of the things. GS brought his grill, the charcoal, gthe table he uses for utensils and they did porkburgers, hamburgers, hot dogs and for dessert, S'Mores. Thaat was the first time I ever had one. D puts 2 marshmallows in each so you are a complete sticky mess when you finish. So Good!!!!

They had 2 breakfast casseroles and juice for a.m. and an assortment ofr cold meats, etc for lunch.

No one wilil ever realize how much that all meant to me. I have thought about all these things and knew that I could not do most of them like I used to. What a wonderful family!!!!!

Even though I didn't work, I was exhausted!! Two couples stayed overnight, went to church with me and took me out to eat.

This is a bad and sad week. Just a yr. ago, we were going thru the long week at the hospital as my precious Harley passed away! I go through in my mind each day's events---just makes me sad!

Elaine; Oh how much legal work you have to do. that is such a mess but I am certain you are hanging in there trying to get it all taken care of. It has to be difficult with all the meds. changing.

Georgia: Isn't it good to have a "new friend" who follows you everywhere? Maggie gets me up too----at 6:00 a.m. The other day it was 5 a.m. and I said NO! Maggie follows me around all the time except when I am in here. Then she decides that I should stop and lets me know.

Julie: I hear that my great-grandson (who will be 3) soon, decided it was time to go potty-----all by himself!! His Mom is sooo happy. And when their is a big sister, a little boy seems to get a lot of attention from her. Hope that happens for your family. i know that you think that no one can be as special as Kiera to you-----but wait til that precious little boy arrives. There goes your heart too.
  15. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

My mind is going in circles.

Somehow when I submitted, I lost rest of you!!!! Sorry!!

I found you. Teacher: I am so sorry that you are having such a hard time at your school. what in the world is the matter with them. Glad you yelled and cried and gave them a piece of your mind.

Rock: Will you forgive me if I don't square dance along with the rest of you???? I am too tired and the last time I tried it (in high school) I got dizzy and fell down----that's when we all wore dresses to everything. How mortifying!!!! i can even stand in the kitche and go back and forth with out getting dizzy.

I had a scary experience last eve. I had been on here at FB with family, readinge-mails, reading, watching TV and using my eyes. I happened to look up and suddenly there was a flash of light (like a flash bulb), 2 one right after the other. I got up and looked in DR and LR$ to see if any bulbs went out or what. decided since I couldn't find anything that if i burn up during the night, I burn u p! Then I decided that I think that it was just my eyes or brain!

Julie: Oh how sweet that onesie must be! I wonder who thought that sweet saying up?

Sorry folks, My eyes are giving out, my hands hurt, fingers numb----and so on.

Sorry I missed some of you. Jinlee: I don't believe we have met (or did my memory just not operate?) but I am happy to meet yo9u on the porch. Come back and let me know all about you./

Bill: I will do as you say------but I am glad to see you on the porch eating strawberry bread! Take it easy and come back---there is always food around. See you!

Love to all my sweet friends who put up with my absence, then put up with all of this rambling.

Gentle Hugs,

16. rockgor

Just got back from some errands. I was going to the library and then the market.
    Only I had to get gas. So I dropped the gas hose and that knocked the gas cap
    under the car and then my glasses fell outta my shirt pocket. Kinda like a Max
    Sennett film (Keystone Kops).

So I was doscombolulated and went to the market and then realized I had forgotten
    the library. So I had to zip in and outta the library so the stuff in the trunk wouldn't
    melt. Land O Goshen!

I knocked over some milk cartons in the dairy section. The fellow working there said,
    "That's OK. I'll get it." I explained: Just gettin' old and clumsy.

Anyhoo, I'm back. Mission accomplished.

Joan, you can still participate at a square dance even if you're sitting down. You can
    sing, holler, tap you toes, clap your hands, drink moonshine out of a jug, etc.

I think that was just wonderful of your family to organize a fix and clean up day. Amazing
    they all could come on the same day. My family would never do anything like that; not
    for me or anybody else.

Back atcha later.
    Adios, Pards

17. Granniluvsu

Well, it is a rainy and dreary day today. Nothing to exciting going on right now.

Elaine - You fell asleep eating a cookie?? Had you already taken your sleep meds or not? Also, didnt you violate one of your rules for sleep - no eating after a certain time as that will ormight keep you awake ! Whatever happened glad you slept till 5:30 ( I guess that was PM) and then you went back to your real bed ! Any time you can sleep it is good, unless you are driving of course. Glad things are going well for you pretty much. Hope all continues to go well and this legal business is home soon.

Joan - So glad your family came for Mothers Day and helped you out soo much. Tht was wonderful !!! Dpo they lend themselves osut to other tired and chey people who need help :) !!!

What a terrible thing about your DIL's sister and family (I think that is what you said and i am to lazy to look back to check). That is just to sad and horrible. I cannot imagine anything that bad happening. You Nd your family will be in my thoughts and prayers..

Rock - Hi there ! Glad things are doing pretty well or should I say no big problems right now.

Well, I need to go fix lunch so I will sign off for now. Have a wonderful weekend !!

Love to everydobby inc all those MIA's,
  18. teacher

teacher New Member

Good afternoon Everyone,

The following message is a public service announcement:

I heard about a virus that is going around called "Black in the White House". It comes to you as if someone from your address file sent it to you as a message.

I'm told that you do not want to open this message. It will destroy your hard drive.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.

Boy oh boy! Has this been a week! It's been so busy, it's hard to gather my scrambled brains to get it all straight. Please try to keep up. I don't think I'll be able to tell this again.

Got on the bus with 40 excited chilluns. We got to the high school in one piece and the fun began.

Four elementary schools joined forces to create one large Choir, one large Orchestra, and one large Band. The high school added two Choirs, and their Band.

Organized chaos was the rule for the morning. Fun was had by all.

Kinda feel a bit sorry for the Choir kids though. Four grown folks trying to tell a couple hundred kiddies what to do at the same time. None of them wanted to listen to anybody, but they only got yelled at by their own teacher for their trouble. hee hee

We got through it without killing each other though. So that's good.

BUT! Do you know the majority of those teachers had the nerve to think they were going to come to the concert nekkid?!!!! They didn't have no Music clothes!!! Can you even imagine???

I couldn't, so I picked up some ties and scarves and told everybody what to wear! Wears me out when I has to dress grown folks like that!

I hear we're going to do this concert again next year. I hope that if we do, they let us know in the Fall so I can nag these folks into dressing appropriately!

I STILL can't wrap my brain around that one. Music teachers don't gots no Music clothes. What is this world coming to?

<sigh> Oh well. All's well that end's well.

Musicians gathered together in the Music room for the trip back to the high school for the concert. The rest of the 4th, 5th, and 6th Graders were going with us.

We waited and waited and waited and then the musicians ended up leaving in a hurry. Why? Because we were waiting for five buses and the fifth one never showed up!

We left ahead of the rest, but we still did not have time to warm up. Can we say "panic time"?

We managed to pull it off, but we were a bit rattled.

Then I got rattled because I hadn't had a chance to look at the program yet. About five minutes before we were to start, I took a look. And then I fell over.

Elementary Choir was first on the program and I was playing the piano!

All I can say is that I'm glad my mommy loves me. It was a hot mess but no one that wasn't on stage was aware. The audience thought we were amazing, wonderful, wow, etc. and that's all that counts!

Speaking of mommy. Mommy went! Rode the bus with us and everything. My darlin's were glad she was there. They like knowing she's in the audience.

I put one of my boys in charge of walking with her and it was like I had given him a million dollars. He made sure she navigated the rough sidewalk and the stairs and guided her into and out of the auditorium.

The high school Band opened with a tune to honor all mothers for Mother's Day. They had all the mothers stand while they played "Isn't She Lovely". A couple of the high school girls went around and presented all the mothers with a Gerber daisy. It was very sweet.

The high school Choirs were very good also. One group performed a speech song that was cool. "Geographical Fugue". It named different cities and landmarks around the world. Very impressive.

Elementary Strings and Band nearly brought the house down. Especially Band with "Hard Rock Blues".

For those of you that have no idea what I'm talking about, trust me on this one. It's a beginner song, but it's actually pretty complex. If you make it to this song by the Spring, you're doing quite well.

The concert ended with the elementary Choir joining the high school Choir to sing "We Are the World". Woo wee! That was a lot of sound coming from the stage.

The whole thing was pretty good. We teachers were amazed at how well everyone did considering the fact that we were really flying by the seat of our pants. More time to plan will allow for more kinks to be worked out. Like, why come we didn't get a fifth bus???

A good time was had by all.

Professional Development Day

All the day long. Need I say more?

Back to our regularly scheduled chaos to get ready for our Spring Concert at school the next day.

Rehearsals were extremely necessary for Choir. They were using the music we used the end of April when we went to the State Office Tower. The music on Tuesday was different.

We were rolling along until close to the end of the day. We got the word that seeing as how our concert was not on the Master Schedule of Events for 2009-2010, we could not have our concert.

I'm going to leave a lot out here. Use your imagination.

We had a short meeting with the musicians and told them that the show would go on.

I kept my hair appointment after school. My darlings told me that I needed to wear my hair down, but I knew that wasn't gonna happen! I got an updo.

Yes, it's still up. But not for long. It's coming down tomorrow afternoon!

The show went on and I think we did well in spite of everything that happened.

Mommy came again. I tell you. That woman is turning into a serious gad-about! I don't know what I'm gonna do with her.

We had a marvelous time.

After our concert, we helped the custodian throw the Cafetorium back together for lunch. I gathered my purse and my mother and I left early.

We had a nice lunch and I took her home.

That was my week.

I'm sorry, but I was so focused on my concerts, all I can tell you about the rest of the family is as follows:

- Dad - still alive and kickin'
    - Mom - a social butterfly
    - Sister - a working stiff
    - Baby - I have no idea

So, enjoy the reminds of this beeyouteaful day and remember that God gives us these kinds of days to remind us of how all we need is Him.

[This Message was Edited on 05/15/2010]
  19. teacher

teacher New Member

Will see you on the other side.