Porchlight no 391 is open

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by springwater, Jun 24, 2009.

1. springwater

springwater Active Member

All righty then

Looks like it has fallen to me to open up porch no 391 so here goes…

In view of the searing heat striking at most of us….i took the liberty of ordering up a make shift swimming pool, with a makeshift waterfall (do those exist?) nearby, a whole assortment of attractive flowery swim suits, some of them one piece for the more shy around here, otherwise there are some lovely two pieces straight out of Sports Illustrateds and some zany swimming trunks in case, Rock, Bill C, Barry might want to try out the pool or waterfall. Also are, pina coladas, cold coffee with ice cream, and chunks of water melon with tooth picks. If your hungry meat dumplings with chilli sauce and chicken nuggets. Please everyone, help yourselves….hurray! Let the splashing begin.

God Bless

[This Message was Edited on 06/26/2009]
  2. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Thanks Spring for bringing us to 400, WOW. How did you know pina coladas were my favorite frozen drink? I could drink a dozen of those, but i better not. Although I could have a dozen non-alcoholic ones, LOL, but that wouldn't be any fun. I don't know about the Sports Illustrated 2 piece swim suits but i do still wear a 2 piece, unless on my "fat" days i wear a one piece. LOL. The only requirement i have about this party on the porch is that the guys DO NOT wear speedos, please. LOL

Pippi, yeah you are okay, boy what an ordeal you and your Mom went through yesterday. I have one of the temporary tires too and had to use that many times. I will be driving on the highway at 25 miles per/hour, because as you know you can't go fast on those kind of tires. Everyone would be beeping at me even though i had my flashers on and am in the slow lane.

Julie I hope you can get done what you need to before the afternoon when it is the hottest. I take prednisone too when i get all swelled up, but as soon as the swelling goes away i get off of it, because boy does it put on the pounds.

Well, I am supposed to be off on Monday and Tuesday next week, but i may resind those days since i will need to take off a couple of days in August for my daughters nose surgery. Yes, she is getting surgery on her nose for her sinuses and while she is at it they are going to get rid of a bump in her nose that she has always hated. LOL I still may take off though, i do have about 6 days left for the year even if i do. Plus i have about 5 sick days.

Lately at night I am doing my favorite relaxing thing. That is sitting in the pool while watering all the landscaping around it. I just love doing that, i know i am weird, but at least i can stay cool while working outside. Ha I am trying to grow a couple of tomato plants too, so we shall see how that goes. So far no pests have eaten them and they seem to be growing.

Well gang, I hope you all have a good day and i will check in later.

Love you

3. teacher

teacher New Member

Sorry Springwater. Didn't mean to leave you in the dust! hee hee

leave in the dust = leave someone behind

boonies = somewhere in the back of beyond, way out in the country

breathing alert = When heat, humidity and smog levels mix in a certain way, you have a setting that can cause the very young, the very old, and people with asthma to have trouble breathing.

I pay attention to those alerts because my parents are old and my niece has asthma. I have to make them turn on the air (my dad doesn't like it really). I've had to deal with the consequences when they don't and I don't want to go around that barn again!

going around the barn = been in that situation before

Thanks for the watermelon. I feel absolutely decadent!
  4. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Gee. I thought everydobby knew where the Boonies are located!
    Just keep driving til ya see the sign announcing you are officially "In the Middle of Nowhere"! LOL

I don't have much seated-in-an-upright-position time this morning, so I can't personally respond to everydobby (although I very much want to!!!).

Mom & Bro, David (not to be confused with Big Dave), are coordinating my doc-team & getting everyboddy on the same page. Of course I'll let my Porch Peeps know immediately if I have to deal with "horse-pistols" (LOL, Rock! U cracked me up with that one!).

Back to bed for a little while now, but I'll check in later.

PS: Granni: I like stories with happy endings. Wait. Scratch that. I like stories that don't have endings. That way, it means life went on, & more stuff happened later! :)

Love, Hugz, & Whirrled Peas!
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

OMG, what a night. Iwas up all night looking at the clock or should I say tossing and turning while tooking atht eh clock., That is even after taking my usual melatonin, and valerian root. That was not good. Well, then I just kept thinking what could have caused this. So I did some searching and sure enough the Levaquin samples that the doc gave me can produce some insominia in some poeople as well as other things.

So, I called the doc, and of courst talked to the nurse who will get back to me. I have not taken my dose today and so I WAIT !! I feel tired and this cough is wearing me down but what else is new. It is a good thing that I wear those urinary pads or I would be wet half the time - that is not good. - yikes. Part of my problem is or was - don;t have 5 kids :) !!

Pippi - what is this with whirled peas? The only thing I can think of when you mentioned that was baby food peas. Do you like them?? I love regular peas but not sure about the whirled kind. Haven't tasted them in years.

Gee, I will really have to go searching for a book that sort of doesn;t have a happy ending but not to bad, cause I do not like those (the really sad ones, even if they are more real to life.).

Whoops my brain is not thinking right and I pushed submit and Iwas not ready too.

Springwater - thanks for al the cool treats and water sports for us all. I'll just lie here and try and take a npa OK. I will definately wear one of those one piece jobs even though my figure isnt to bad they say all things considered. However, my legs are not the best lookinng after my 68 years and I have gained a few pounds in the wrong places. My metabolism used to also be very fast but I think it is slowing down to a crawl - ugh !!.

Julie - Hope your poison ivy clears up soon . If you have any x tra NRG hanging around please send it my way. Glad you have some more nrg from the prednisone. Don't wear yourself out now working so hard please. Something is always going on with you.

Gotta run now ans check back soon.

[This Message was Edited on 06/25/2009]
  6. jole

jole Member

Pippi, welcome back, and good luck with the transfusion. I hope it makes a biiiiggggg difference in how you feel! You have certainly been through a lot lately, and deserve a nice long stretch of feeling better! I'm so sorry to hear your day was such a disaster, but you are a trooper, and took it all in stride, even with feeling so rotten. I really admire you a lot!!!

I'm happy to say I made it through the funeral okay....the first time I've been in a crowd for a long time. Took my Xanax shortly before arriving and it did the trick. Plus the "crowd" consisted of approximately 50-60 people.

It was really sad....my hubby's aunt had been ill for quite some time. Had two sons, and they had both mooched off her, begging constantly for money and babysitting for years....the money going mostly for drugs. In the end, once she was admitted to the hospital (she was there for a week before she died) they didn't go see her once! No love or respect shown by either of them! No one was with her when she died.....I wanted to be there sooo bad, but it was 2 1/2 hours from here, In Wichita, and I wouldn't have been able to get around there. I don't feel anyone should have to die alone....that's just too sad.

I know it was terrible, but I didn't even go give them my condolances at the funeral....didn't feel they deserved it! I went out of respect for our aunt and my MIL, certainly not for the sons who did nothing for their mother.

I did get a double batch of snickerdoodle cookies made and in the freezer last night....well, what was left after my grandson helped himself...lol... Today I hope to get a double batch of chocolate chip cookies made, and tomorrow a chocolate zucchini cake. Then I'm through for a couple weeks with baking. That's a lot of work for me!!!! I don't do well with standing for very long, and certainly not with thinking! lol....

Julie, what a bunch of energy. I can't believe you go on such a little amount of sleep, and do all that you do! You are pretty amazing....heck, I don't think I could have kept up with you even before I got sick! No, I know I couldn't have.....

Mickey, I hope the surgery goes well for your daughter. It seems like nose surgery is pretty painful from what I've read. But I know she'll be a trooper, and her mommie will be lovingly attentive!

Teacher, sounds like you're in top form! Hope your day goes well with the weather, and it doesn't affect your (and family members) breathing. It's just sweltering here with the humidity so high and in the 100s also. Seems like Kansas always has high winds....but not now, windstill....go figure!!!

Rock, enjoy all your news...loved the remark about leaving your CD to the man with the chopsticks! lol

Joan, I too am happy to see you here more! It's a great place to be, isn't it? You seem to be doing well...I'm glad!

Elaine, I agree about John...what a bodyguard!!!!! What a guy!!!! You deserve him....and more importantly, he deserves YOU! You're so witty and caring and independent...definitely not someone who will take advantage of him, but add to the relationship. Sounds like a great match to me also!

Granni, get well soon...I would be knocked flat...so please take care of yourself and get plenty of rest! That antibiotic doesn't do it all by itself....we care about you, so don't push, okay?

Well, will set a plateful of cookies on the porch with Spring's goodies, and go enjoy the waterfall pool! We need a celebration for our 400th, thanks Spring for thinking of it! I enjoy the weather on the porch....it's just right!!! And the chairs are sooo comfy, not to mention the great friends and good conversation!

Hope all the other porchies can come join us soon! Love to all....Jole

[This Message was Edited on 06/25/2009]
  7. jole

jole Member

We posted at the exact same time!!

You had me laughing so hard with your laughing episode...I can see why your niece and nephew love you so much! Not many kids have an auntie like you....lol....

I too am very proud of how you handled the situation with your sis...been there, done that....I rarely think of one of mine anymore, and to tell the truth, have very little guilt about it. Sometimes it's simply the only way when they are so terribly selfish and hurtful!

You are a loving sis and daughter....don't ever doubt yourself! Hope you have a great day....Jole
  8. Granniluvsu

here I am again.

Spring - I forgot to tell you that I would love to takse some of your dumplings. I am sure they are wonderful. I love dumplings withalmost any kind of stuffing.

Elaine _ I just love your rentition of the BBQ with your singing. Yes, to bad you didn;t get an umbrella and do singing in the rain for everyone. I know that you would havae loved to as they did in the movie.

Didn't sleep last night, I think due to the Levaquin the doc gave me for my bronchitis. So, now I wait to hear if she will change the med for me. I posted a separate post this morning for any info Levaquin and insomnia and if anyone else have had my experience. I already checked Google and there was some reference to that among other things,.

Pippi - make sure you let us know when you are going into the hospital so we can be on standby in case you need heltp to run over any people or cause any rucaous (SP) so you can get the proper care :) !!

Hi there to Jole, Teacher, Deb, Rock, Linda, Carla ,and all the MIA's I may be forgetting.

Now I go and do some more waiting for the doc to call.

9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Yeah! I got a Reply button w/ no trouble. Some days it doesn't take much
    to make us happy.

Didn't make it to the book sale yesterday. The new alarm clock no workee. It's a Westclock except it's made in China. So are the General Electrics. How the mighty American Industrial
    Giant has fallen.

Jole, the man w/ the chopsticks is pretty talented. He can pick up a single grain of rice.
    I worked for a law firm in Little Tokyo for two years. Never mastered chopsticks although I did learn to say "arigato" which means thank you.

One of our partners was Japanese. I told him,
    "You guys can never make up your mind. Either
    you're writing a bit of lovely haiku or you're chopping someone's head off w/ a Samurai

He laughed and said, "Yup, that's about it."

Elaine, I wish you'd post one of your singing
    episodes on Youtube. Would it fit into the category of performance art?

There's a new karaoke machine on the market.
    It's enclosed in a phone booth. Less annoying for the spectators, I guess.

Granni, I hope your bronchitis is better. You're right. That prednisone is tricky stuff.

"Whirrled pears" BTW, is a corruption of "World

Springwater, prednisone is a drug used to treat many conditions. My mother took it for respiratory problems and allergies. It has many,
    many side effects including depression and osteoporosis. It caused the latter in her case and she had bits of bone coming to the surface of her feet for years.

"Boonies" is short for boondocks which comes from Tagalog, the language of the Philippines. I
    took many depositions w/ the aid of a Tagalog interpreter. Boondocks means the jungle, the
    edge of civilization, etc.

Joan, I remember "I'm a Little Teapot". Of course, to get the full effect it has to be acted out. Maybe Elaine will want to incorporate it into her repitoire.

Well, will post more later if fate and the machine permit. Actually I don't believe it fate, but I do
    acknowledge the existence of the machine.

Do you believe in fate? It's like God. No way to
    prove it or disprove it.

I'm off to the music store to see if I can find a new CD of an old performance. Would that be
    the same as old wine in new bottles?

10. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Yes, Rock is correct about the "whirrled peas". I KNEW Rock would get that one!
    I have a t-shirt that says "pray for whirrled peas". I'm not mocking the concept of world peace! Honest! Just pointing out the futility of it, I reckon...

To everydobby who has been discussing music:
    There's a great song I play at top volume when I'm REALLY angry. It helps. It's GNR "You're Crazy". Very fast, very loud, very cathartic!!!

11. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I am really sad. I just got an email from CNN regarding Farrah Fawcett passing away from cancer that she has been battling for the past 3 years.

I did watch her special on TV about a month or 2 ago and it really gave me a different perspective on Farrah, I cried through most of the show. She really is a strong woman.

Charlie Angels was one of my favorite tv shows when i was young and I loved her other movies she made later in life. It really showed her strong acting skills.

Just though i would let everyone know.
  12. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Well, I'm back from my shopping spree. Went to the giant music store named Amoeba in Hollywood.

I was there for the opening day several years ago. I still have the free T-shirt. It is huge; basically a concrete-floored warehouse, w/ really loud,ugly music and rather dim lighting.

I talked to one of the managers last year. A
    young, hatchet-faced women who looked like she should be running a bar for truckers and

I asked her if they kept the music loud because it encouraged young people to buy.

She told me no one had ever complained before.
    Also pointed out the box of free earplugs. I asked why they provided earplugs if no one complained. She walked away.

I bet they have a lot of workers' comp claims for
    hearing loss.

Anyway, I didn't buy anything. Guess I'll have to
    order from the net. The noise level is friendlier.

Mickey, I heard the news casters talking about Ferrah Fawcett almost non-stop. There are already flowers on her sidewalk star.

When I was a law clerk in the 70s, my boss had
    the famous poster of her in his office. In all other respects it seemed to be the office of a
    middle-aged atty. The poster, unframed and taped to the wall, added a touch of teenager's

Yes, Pippi, I had baited breath yesterday w/ my
    tuna sandwich. But tuna are not really bait fish.
    The are swift and deadly predators. Big ones weigh over 500 pounds.

Teacher, I guess the camp meetings and revivals
    of times past have pretty much been replaced
    by TV evangelists. By and large they seem to
    represent no specific denomination. They all seem to have the same message: God wants
    you to send me money.

My mother in law used to work for the biggest one. She sat in a room w/ a bunch of other middle-aged women, opened mail and took out the cash/checks. People who sent in large
    amounts were brought to the attention of management.

Mickey, the Bible Camp I used to go to was Methodist. I really enjoyed all the singing, and
    the food was excellent. Wonder if it is still

Joan, was Fountain Park in Indiana? Found some pictures on the net. But that was a couple
    days ago. Of course my memory is already hazy.

Well, think it's time for my nap and subsequent

Ha det bra

13. Granniluvsu

whirrled peas ! Geez Pippi. You see how great my brain is especially now on these drugs. I figured that Rock would get it, for sure.

Well, I am now taking generic Keflex 4 x a day. I also took one this afternnon after I picked it up the prescription from the pharmacy. I did take a short nap this afternoon even if it took me awhile to fall asleep. So, hopefully, I will be able to sleep tonight.

Didn't attach again to the volume so I forgot who said what except for the whirrled peas. Wow, I may never forget that one !!

Mickey - Oh, I do remember that you mentioned the death of Farrah Fawcett dying. That is such a shame that she had to suffer so. I did enjoy watching Charlie's Angels at times. It seems to me that was a busy time in my life (with kids and such).

Rock - glad to see you were out there and busy today checking out that music store or whatever you want to call it. I can imagine how loud the music must have been . If she had the ear plugs close by some others must have complained before. How silly - no one has ever complaines, yikes !!. Gee, she soumded like a real sweet salesperson -grouch !! Did you actually buy something in there??

Well, I can't remember anyone else right now. Hope all you Porchies are doing well today. Maybe I will make more sense tomorrow.

Blessings to everydobby,

14. jole

jole Member

first Ed, then Farrah, then Michael. Not a good day to be in show biz. Sooo sad for all the families.

Don't mean to be disrespectful, but are we still partying by Spring's pool? 'Cause it's sure not getting any cooler outside. Still 100 with no breeze whatsoever! Poor hubby is dripping wet...had a minor breakdown and is in the shed repairing a combine part. I reminded him to drink lots of water, and told him I'm going swimming.....he thought I was crazy...lol...since we don't have a pool and I don't drive! He doesn't understand much about our porch concept..hahaha.

Granni, please be careful with that Levaquin! I think that drug should be outlawed.....it has caused severe problems for people and has lots of lawsuits against it. If you have any pain in your muscles or tendons, please see your doc at once, or at least call and get off the med. It can cause tendons to rupture, plus other life-threatening side effects. People on the FM board have had severe, long-lasting problems with that drug. Just a friendly reminder, and hope you do well.

Okay, kitchen duty calls....after a dip in the pool, 'cause I just have to watch Elaine's high dive.......

15. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

Goofed today! Wrote like I did yesterday, submitted and poof!!!!!!!!!!! Too tired to talk again today..

Rock: Yes, Fountain Park is in Indiana and takes you back in time.

Bye until tomorrow.

16. Granniluvsu

Jole - I am no longer on the Levaquin. I only took two pills and when I didn't get to sleep at all last night I figured tht was the cause. I checked some people's reviews on Google whee I read about some insomnia as wellas other much more serious side effects. It is the first time I have ever been used the generic Levaquin. Thanks for your concern.

Now my nose is running like a faucet, mostly clear stuff. It is either runny of stuffy. Now, I hope I can sleep again. I know I am tired from little sleep last night.

Hope your hubby continues to drink alot of water with all his work outside in this brutal heat. I feel so sorry for those who have to be out in it all day, even if they are supposed ly used to it.

Joan - sorry your post went poof again. Believe me, I have had my share of those, especially when they are to long. Hope you are feeling OK today. Glad to see you here on the porch. Have you been attaching your post to the vokume when you type? It is very helpful when I remember to do it.

Bye for now my friends.

17. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Gotta be back at the horse-pistols in the morning for my next treatment.

Spent all evening & night at the ER again. And, I'm home again.
    So, I'm done with them. No more ER's...

If a doc wants to admit me, I'll go. But if I have another emergency - the very kind the doc said to go to the ER for - FORGET IT!
    I'll either get better or i won't...

Even Mom is confused now. The hemo has completely changed his story from what he told her just a few days ago...

I'm so tired of it. all of it. i give up.
    While I was layin in the ER, I asked Mom, what's the point? How long can I spend EVERY SINGLE DAY of my life fighting? Why don't I get to have a life? Why fight? It NEVER stops. I never get a break. NEVER. i'm so tired of fighting just to survive. Getting to do nothing but sleep, be sick, hurt... I don't get to live. it sux... i can't do it anymore...

life should be lived... not just endured...

I'll go to the treatment in the morning, just cuz it's scheduled.

I'm not calling any more docs.
    I'm not seeing any more docs.
    I'm not having any more tests.
    I'm not having anymore procedures.
    I'm not keeping any more appointments.

I quit.

Whatever happens, happens...

I'm too tired to deal with anymore.

This isn't life.
    This isn't living.

I'm sooooooo tired............
  18. jole

jole Member

I've never heard you sound so low...like the bottom has totally fallen out from under you and your world. You have been dealt so terribly much for your age, and no, it doesn't seem fair.

My belief is that everything happens for a reason... unfortunately yours is not in your favor, but the purpose behind your life, as Julie says, is to lift up others with your strength, strong attitude and humor. Right now your strength is at low ebb, and you need some lifting up yourself.

Please let us try to do that for you by letting you know how important you are to us, your family, your apartment friends, and all the other people whose lives you touch. Your gentle and loving ways cannot go unnoticed, and you give so much hope and encouragement to others...sometimes without even knowing it.

You are so very special...such a wonderful gift from God, and you share yourself so beautifully! I think you have a great talent in writing. Perhaps you could write about your illness, your hospitalizations and treatments, and your thoughts to share with others in your situation. I know you had said your condition is rare, so I doubt there is a lot of info for the others who have it also. But I'm sure the others would love hearing your story so they would know what to expect and not feel so alone through it all.

Or if you don't have the strength, record it and someone else could type it up for you. Please think about this. We had a person on the board who did a video on CFS that was very touching....a great way to help others!

Please don't give up. Just take a break if needed, and get a good cry in there. You don't have to be strong all the time. As a matter of fact, we love you no matter what the mood may be...minute by minute! Take care of yourself, and good luck tomorrow. (((Gentle hugs))) Nite-nite ***Jole***
  19. teacher

teacher New Member

Sounds like you're out of gas right now. We all run out of energy sometimes. That's OK.

Cry, rant, pout if you need to, then just rest. It's OK to say that you're throwing your hands up. Sometimes that's all one can do when things get overwhelming.

Just don't give up. You may not think that your life is worth living right now, but the people around you need you, just as you are.

Why else would your mom go to all the appoinments with you that she can?

Why else would your dad threaten to rally the family at the hospital the next time you are mistreated?

Why else would your brother's boss change plans and come along with your brother to rescue two damsels in distress?

Why else would your neighbors do small things like take out your trash and stay with you at the front door until your mom comes to get you?

Why else would two nurses at the hospital do their level best to get you the treatment they know you need?

Why else would the people on this board put out a call every time they post wondering where you are and how you're doing?

Same answer for all questions. They love you JUST AS YOU ARE.

You are witty, compassionate, ferocious, gracious, understanding as needed, when needed. Those things are VERY rare in our world today. Thankfully, you were placed here to help fufill that need.

So, my dear, rest. Then come back roaring when you're ready. (even if that roar is only a "meow")

Remember, you're not just needed, you're loved.
  20. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

It's 8:10 am. I'm settled in my "horse-pistol" bed, IV in place (great nurse - excellent IV skills!).

Yeah, I guess I kinda had a rant last night. We all have those moments when we wanna scream: What are these peeps waiting for? The freakin AUTOPSY results???!!!" LOL!! Well... Now, it's LOL - last nite, it was SOS!!!

Got the Animal Planet on tv. Debating between that & classic cartoons.

I wonder what would happen, if after my treatment, I simply refused to get outta the bed?
    I could say: Nope! I ain't leavin til y'all FIX me!

Ooops... Maybe I better word that differently, if I make that demand! hahahahahaha

Being in here, is when I appreciate being on dial-up internet.
    I just jack into their phone line, add the #9 to my dial-up number (gotta dial9 to get an outside line), & then I have all y'all right here with me. SWEET, huh?

Thanks again for all the encouragement.
    I'd be SO lost, if I was still dealing with all of this w/o any support.

I mean, I have that family-loves-me support. But they can't give me understanding report.
    I'm glad they can't give me understanding.
    The only way to understand, is to experience what we experience.
    I don't want them to ever understand!!!!!

I'll check in again in a little while.

PS: Rock: Thanks to you, I'll always think of the hospital, as the "horse-pistols" from now on! Gee, thanks!!!
    But then again, I've gotten "whirrled peas" stuck in a few of y'alls brains. hahahahaha

Hugz 2 Everydobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!