Porchlight Vol. 724 IS CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Sun - So sorry to hear about your DIL and how she speaks to you. I can imagine how hurtful that must be to you and to her mom when she speaks to her.. Luckily, my dil and sons il are not that way. I was brought up to be very sensitive to others. To my mom saying shut u to someone was a dirty word and we got our mouths washed out with soap. I know also it is not always what is said but how it was said also.

No, I have never heard of cluster feedings but it cold be what they used to call on demand feeding which is almost anytime the baby opens its mouth :)!!!! My babies were pretty much were on schedule , at least that is what I aimed for- usually close to every 4 hrs..

Mikie- sorry about the cat and everything. Hope things straighten out soon for you.

Julie - Hang I there girl ! Hope you do not fall apart.

DH need lunch so I need to go.

Hugz,
    Granni
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Grief! So much misery in our worlds. Of course, we also have love and joy but, as though our illnesses weren't enough, we have to put up with stressors and stressful, toxic people. I pray for all of us.

Granni, thank you so very much for your caring and good wishes. To tell you the truth, when I went out in the bright sunlight yesterday, it made me feel so sick, all I wanted to do is come home. One friend offered to fix a plate for me but I wasn't up to eating it. It was sweet of her, though. I have to be in tip top condition to even enjoy get togethers anymore. Don't overdo it on the weeding. I'm going to be buying one of those large Roundup bottles with the target nozzle. I think you pump them up so the stuff is under pressure. I hate to use it but I can't pull weeds right now.

Julie, I know we are not privy to everything but one thing is for sure: You cannot continue to carry the world on your shoulders. People start doing it over time, slowly. As time goes on, people feel it is normal or that they must continue. If something were to happen to you, all those people would figure out how to carry on. It wouldn't be the same as with your loving touch but they would stand on their own two feet and learn how to get along. How much better it would be if they could learn that now so you aren't running on fumes all the time. It will eventually catch up with you. OK, I'm not going to say any more about this as I've already probably said too much. We all care deeply for you and want the best for you.

Sunflower Girl, these cats were dumped here as kittens and lived outside all the time for more than two years. When the nasty lady started to complain, Jeff asked me to take them as he is allergic to Tweety. I did but when Julie missed them so much, I gave them to her. She says they don't keep her awake. Now that she is having such health problems and the nasty lady is on her back, she asked me to take them back. They are basically great cats but are bored. So sorry about your DIL. Control freaks like her use the grandkids as leverage to manipulate others. Doesn't speak well for her as a person. I think her mamma shoulda lowered the boom on her years ago.

I let them out this morning at 5:00 when I brought in Simon's bowls. They stayed out til 6:00. Tweety came right in when I rattled the treat box. Sylvester didn't want to come back and I had to carry him. I'm thinking that they could stay out all night from about 11:00 or midnight until around 5:00 or so. The nasty lady will be asleep and won't see them. I'll get to sleep and, I think, they will be better during the day. I'm going to run it past Julie.

The Whatever Herpes-Family Virus that has reactivated is at the worst today. I've been icing the cold sore and putting Abreve on it. That whole side of my head hurts, including my eye and throat. That's the virus' signature. I'm on Acyclovir and hoping it will drive it back into latency. I did manage to do most of my exercises. The back is better but still not good. I have a feeling this is going to be a long-term process.

Thanks to everyone who is reporting all the spam. It's always worse over weekends and holidays. Geez, two of them were written in Russian and one was loaded with URL links. Nothing good could possibly come from clicking on one of those links and possibly something really bad. I try to get them out of here asap.

I'm doing a bit of laundry so it doesn't get to be too big of a chore. That's one thing I can usually do when I feel rotten. Hope everyone feels better.

Love, Mikie
  3. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hello Kid

News Flash! I have just been attacked by another ferocious animal. Well, actually the
    poor thing was just defending itself. I was walking up the stairs and met a lizard coming
    down the stairs. So I caught it. Gordon said, "Watch out!" I said, nonchalantly, "Oh,
    I've caught them before. They don't bite." It bit me.

Gotta give the little rascal credit. Captured by a giant thousands of times it's size it
    didn't give up. It bravely fought back. Anyhoo I let it go outside and self medicated
    my thumb.

Mikie, sorry to read you're having problems in so many areas. I guess if we were one-
    celled creatures, we wouldn't have all these problems. Saw a funny sign on a humor
    site last night. From a meat department: Hand crafted sausage. Pork with
    gummy bears. $4.99 a pound.

There was another sign. Same store? Anyhoo it said " All White chicken.
    100% Beef."

Gordon went to Costco yesterday. Brought back half a dozen products for me including
    Ensure 'cause "I don't eat enough". Just looked up side effects. Ironically they include
    the possibility of constipation. He did see the gummy bears with fiber, but didn't
    pick any up; figured I couldn't chew them.

Sunflower, I never thought about the origin of "the handwriting on the wall". Wikipedia
    says you are absolutely right. The prophecy was correct. But it wasn't very helpful.
    The Kingdom of Babylon fell only a few hours later. There was no opportunity
    to implement reforms.

Too bad about your DIL. I believe a psychiatrist would diagnose her as a "pill".
    Families are just wonderful except for the horrid relations of which they are always
    some. (And way too many in my family.)

Julie, never heard of a rodeo parade, but it sounds like fun. My brother in Minnesota
    called last night. He and his DW(ife) and our aunt went to our home town for a
    fireworks display on the golf course. Well, I like that. They never had a fireworks
    display when I lived there.

The aunt is Aunt Izzy. I've mentioned her before. Her father (my grandfather)
    was born when Lincoln was in the White House. Izzy was born during the Roaring
    20s, and is now 92. Been in great health all her life, but getting somewhat
    confusiated these last few years.

How is Den going to raise the rafters? Block and tackle? Turns out my
    brother is also involved in building. He's replacing his old garage. He figures
    it will cost about $25,00. Gosh, when I was a kid you coulda bought 3-4
    house for that much. Hope you can get some rest, Kiddo.

Granni, have you found any triangular dances yet? I know folk dances come in
    at least 3 varities: line, round and square. I was reading about the history of
    square dancing the other day. It was mentioned in a book back in 1651. The
    Library of Congress has a copy of the book. The British Government wants
    it back. Apparently the overdue fine is 32 million dollars. They need more money
    to support the royal family.

Time to lie down with a new library book. Hugs to everydobby, present
    and non p.
    Rock
  4. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hey, Kids

Have to tell you of the most amaziating kawinkydink. Got a birthday card from my
    sister in Minnesota today. It features a picture of...a lizard!

[​IMG]

This is a picture of the California Alligator Lizard that was involved in today's tragic
    event. They are generally about 6 inches long, and considerably less dangerous than
    a real alligator which may reach 15 feet and weigh half a ton.

Rock
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Rock, I wouldn't mess with anything with "alligator" in its name. Sorry you got bitten. Are you once bitten, twice shy? We get the tiny geckos in or condos. Why they want to run in when the door is open is beyond me. Frank isn't up to fixing the weather strip flap on the bottom of their door downstairs so the geckos just run underneath it. For some reason, the builder nailed the weather flaps into place on the bottom of the doors so it is impossible to remove them without removing the door. I removed mine because the weather strip was shredding but I replaced it with one which screws to the bottom of the door on the inside. It's white and doesn't even show. The geckos which do manage to make it inside end up dying and when I clean, I find little dried-up bodies (I call them fossils). Tweety once made quick work of one unfortunate one which came in. Getting eaten by a cat is probably less painful than dying of dehydration and starvation. When I can catch them, I throw them back outside. I've found I can't grab them by the tails as the tails just detach from their bodies. Then, the tails continue to jerk around for about an hour afterward. AACK!!! :confused:

Try the Kellogg's Bran Buds. It's only about $4 for a box from the cereal aisle. It only takes 1/3 cup to get 50 percent of your body's fibre requirement. As I mentioned, you pour milk on them, like any cereal, and they soften up so you don't have to chew them. They have turned my constipation around to regularity. BTW, fibre is also sold in a powder which you can add to any liquid; you don't have to eat the gummies. Constipation is miserable and unhealthy. Try the Bran Buds and let me know how they work. They could put a :) on your face.

My ex and I added a family room onto the back of our old house in Boulder. A friend, who was a commercial architect, designed it. It featured a cathedral ceiling with no rafters. My ex framed a wall, with a pocket built in to it against the old wall and another at the other end. We ordered a glue-lam beam which was delivered on a flat bed truck with a crane. They lifted the beam from the truck on the street, swung it over the house, and set it down in the pre-framed pockets perfectly. It was quite a sight to see. I'll never forget seeing that beam settle into the pockets. I did a lot of the work on that project and had my own hard hat and tool belt. It impressed the paper boy mightily. Guess he'd never seen a female construction worker. Aah, good times!

Well, Kids, I think the Whatever Herpes-Family Virus is on its way out. I was sickest yesterday and stayed in bed a good part of the day. I did get in one session of stretches/exercises. They are getting easier to do which probably means they aren't as effective. The one Yoga stretch I learned on You Tube remains the winner. It still stretches the lower back and I haven't even gone as low as I may be able to later. My PT Tech tried it and was amazed. He plans to add it to his workout treatment regimen.

Sad news--the kitties are going to have to go. I am so sleep deprived that I can't continue to keep them. During the night, they get bored and start with raising hell and being destructive. Come to find out, that's the major reason Julie decided she couldn't keep them, in addition to her health problems. We both gave it an honest try and we both love the cats but just aren't equipped to take care of them. Julie called Jeff because he was the one who originally took them and legally acted as their guardians. He works at a wildlife refuge and there are a lot of animal lovers there. We hope someone will take them. They need to be able to live outside when they want to in a safe environment. They could do that here if it were not for the nasty woman in our hood. If we can find no one, Jeff will have to take them to a no-kill shelter and they will have to be adopted together. There are several such places here. This is heartbreaking but I firmly believe I have to take care of myself first. :(

I see my Ortho doc tomorrow morning and I have my last two PT treatments this week. I'm sick of running to appts. and paying co-pays. I just hope that, in time, these stretches and exercises heal my back. Love to everyone,

Mikie
  6. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Rock: I guess you must have had a BD.........are you still 49? LOL. My neighbor told me the other day she's still 70......which I'm turning in 6 months. I had really hoped and was thinking positive that I could go to Hawaii and fly over the volcano in a helicopter, but just don't see that miracles happening.

Those snake lizards don't bother me OUTSIDE but I HAVE gotten one or two inside then I turn into a freaking screaming basket case. Ouch.......do they have little teeth or what? I might have mentioned that I had a 3' lizard put onto my shoulder to have my pic. taken with him......hmmmmm......guess he must have been tame from birth/hatching.

Mikie: I'm sorry about the cats.......we all totally understand. That's why I had to toss my cats out of the BR a few years ago and keep the door closed. Lack of sleep and asthma from the fur. It took awhile for them to understand, especially with the two sided tape on the carpets by the doorway.

And keep up with those stretches.....your body loves them and has gotten some healing from them.

My DH went to PT yesterday, came home with a stretch covering over his knee. Then later on I noticed a really swollen ankle and now he tells me he's had it for at least 2 weeks. WhAT? I'm angry that he didn't think to show it to the oncologist on Wed. nor the PT guy yesterday!!!!!!! Where's that little icon that shows a person banging their head against the wall!!!!! I just can't keep continuing to monitor his actions.:mad:
  7. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

Mikie, I would love to hear you have a back "healing"....I don't even use that word, especially with the back, it's control and management and NO back surgery for sure.

A bridge friend who was talking about how great her husband's back surgery has been NOW talks about how much back pain he's in....it never fails, it may take a year or less and more surgery is called for...

My neighbor guy just had fusion surgery this past April and I'm waiting to hear how things have changed, he talks about how great he is NOW....

I certainly am unhappy with my hip outcome but work on management. jam
  8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Rock - Yes, there is Benefiber or the generic you can get probably form most drug/grocery stores. Not sure what stores you have in your area but drug stores should have Benefiber or generic brand which is a very light white fine powder you can punt in any drink or food. There is no taste what so ever and dissolves quickly. I put it I my tea every morning. That and the magnesium has been very helpful to me. I still remember that dreaded enema bag that I had quite quickly when I was a child.

Mikie - So sorry you are feeling so bad and that you have to give the kitties away. I know it is a hard decision for you to have to make but your health is so important. I know you have been trying, Did you try putting them out for a longer period at night that you had mentioned??

Sun - What is it with these guys and why they forget to tell things to the docs, etc. who are supposed to be caring for them ?? Somehow they think we/you are person who can read minds, etc. and know everything that is gong on with them and their bodies especially when they are ill. Hang in there sweetie, I know it is a very hard road and you have been doing so well, even though we cannot see you banging your head against the wall or whatever. Hope things will get much better for your DH soon and then you will be feeling much better too.

Spring Water - I hope you are feeling OK and wit so NRG on these hot days for you. Miss hearing from you too.

Jam - It looks like you were posting or writing when I was :)!! I came back and "edited" Hope you are feeling as well as you possible can, today.

Just went to church this morning and then spent half the afternoon trying to get on line to try and figure out one of my CC bills. Finally got that taken care of. Need to get off here as I know DH wants the computer too.

Love to everydobby,
    Granni
  9. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Don't know if this will work or not...trying to post a video for Rock of raising the rafters today. Well, it looks like it copied as a still picture, instead of a video...just as well, the video was scary! But it is in place and looks great. Now my new house is 12' X 40' :)

The piece that is being lifted fits up against the piece that is already anchored to the shop wall...it does fit, but looks too big at the angle in the pic.

What Den is doing is "pre-fabbing" the sections...walls and roof, then adding them to what is already there. I convinced him to rent the boom truck from his work this time (the truck he uses every day) to do the lifting, instead of using cables with an electric winch, etc., etc. It worked great! I was filming it, but had to quit and go swing the piece back into place.
    [​IMG]

Each section is 40' wide and 20' high at the peak. You can see up against the shop wall, a portable scaffolding...we get up there and can move ourselves from section to section. Actually, there is a completed 4' section, then a 4' space with 2 X 4's (which we will finish while climbing on the scaffolds) then another 4' completed section, then another 4' space, and so on. The house will be 40' X 40' when completed...fills up the cement slab.

The interior is done...the walls are white waterproof paneling. The outside just needs the steel roofing put on. There are some extra 2 X 4's for bracing, but they will come off when everything is fastened into place.

Yes, I have been up on the scaffolding, and up on the top of the roof! Red Mittens has joined us up there, but then pretends she doesn't know how to get down, lol!

10. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Now that I posted my picture of my house, I can come back and visit...

Rock, hope that shows enough of how we are doing it...yes, he was going to do the "block and tackle" way, but I was so worried that something might go wrong...so glad he agreed to use his big truck.

You and Lorraine will be sharing a special day on Tuesday, right?

Sorry about the "wild animal" attacks you've had lately. In Belize, we live with those little geckos all the time...I got so I would even name them ;)

Sun, oh my...your hubby must not have wanted to worry you? Or just didn't want to have to deal with it? Still...I can't imagine being in your position; I'm so sorry.

When we were at my brother's in Texas last week...Sis-in-law kept going on about how irresponsible he is for drinking cokes and eating junk when he is diabetic. But here she is with Stage 4 cancer in both lungs...and still smokes!

Granni, sounds like you are as busy as ever...

Mikie, I'm sorry it has come to the point of letting the cats go...but you are right...a smart person will recognize what needs to be done in order to maintain their health (I guess I'm still learning, true?)

Spring, hope your energy returns...

Well, I am doing better, I think. A big load fell from my shoulders when Den said he could use his boom truck to lift the rafters of the house...I was terrified that something would go wrong if we did it manually. I didn't realize I was dreading it to the point of not even caring about a new house.

Gpa was here today...wanted to be here for the roof raising :p and it worked out that today Sis and boyfriend were going shopping and wanted to bring Gpa here anyway.

She was so "bouncy" and full of life when they dropped Gpa off. She said "Well, we (she and boyfriend) are down to only four more things that need planted, so we just have to go get some more. I just looked at her and said, "Well, I don't have time for things like that."

Some day, we will "have it out", but now is not the time. Very frustrating, though...I am hurting and I know it will take me two days to get my yard back under control because of all the rain. I get to watch Lindsey's kids on Wednesday while she and David go to her appt., then take a tour of the hospital where she plans to deliver...due August 16.

I have a care plan meeting for my dad on Friday morning...my week is pretty full. But all Sis has to do is buy and plant flowers...I could say more, but it would be pretty boring...

Anyway, I could close with famous words from Lorraine this evening...to her mom..."I like you, because you're a lot like Grandma."

Then, as she was lying under her covers, pretending to be going to sleep...she cut her hair again! Lindsey doesn't even know where she got the scissors. They are having quite a time with her...I hope she isn't too hard on the new baby...

I'd better get to bed...getting pretty sleepy.

11. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Thanks for trying to post a video, Julie. I have never seen this sort of pre fab building
    technique before. Good thing you and Red Mitten were there to supervise. If Den is
    using a boom truck, does that mean you can have a housing boom even if you only
    put up one building?

Looking back, very little was built in our village when I was growing up. Over
    a period of about 2 decades, 4 new businesses were built: the Chevy dealership;
    the bank; the motel; and an A & W Root Beer stand. I think maybe 3 new houses
    were built. One was pre fab. The walls looked they were made of turquoise plastic.
    And one of the 3 wealthy guys in town had a new house built as a show piece for
    his son, the newly graduated architect. It was the most beautiful place in town.
    Built of some tan stone (not our native limestone) with modern, dynamic lines
    and a dramatic angular roof. I bet it still looks modern and impressive today.

I just looked for the kitty I stopped feeding. Turns out Gordon as been putting
    out some food for her. I thought I'd give her some food, but not let her get
    near me.

I read up on cat fever. It can cause a wide range of problems including headaches,
    swollen lymph nodes, joint pains, etc. And, the really scary part, it can be fatal
    for people with a compromised immune system. Does that include us? It
    applies to people who have had chemotherapy or have AIDS.

Yup, Lorraine and I will be having a significant day except we just ignore holidays
    and birthdays. I used to give Gordon a card. The last 2 years I've made a card. And
    we used to go out to dinner, but I can't sit that long nowadays. But I hope Lorraine
    has a nice party and everyone has happy memories.

Granni and Mikie, thanks for the info. I'll have to try the Benefiber. But what if it makes
    me play the violin like Jack Benny? And the Bran Buds. Maybe I'll like it and we'll become
    best buds. Then we'll have "Love in Bloom", yes?

Sorry the kitties have to go, Mikie. I know you are too. I am continually amazed at
    your computer skills, building and repair know how, electronic savvy, etc. In our
    house nobody could do nothin'. My dad was a great (but messy) cook. My mother hated
    to clean up after him. The worst was was when he brought home fish that his drinking
    buddies had caught on the Mississippi. My mother said there were even fish scales on
    the ceiling. I remember one night he decided in the midst of fixing a roast that he
    needed a place to hang a pot holder. He drove a nail right through said pot holder thus
    affixing it securely to the wall. Was he drunk? Of course.

Sunflower, aren't men the most exasperatin'? Gordon and have had the same dr.
    for the last several years. When I go to the dr., he goes to. Well, he has drive. Then
    when we get in the office he turns into chatty Kathy. I never have to worry about
    forgetting to tell the doc something.

Maybe your DH was raised in the days when men were taught not to complain or
    admit weakness or, worst of all, cry. One of the few good things about being old and
    retired is that, for the most part, I don't have to worry about what other people think
    of me. They don't even know me anymore. And I wouldn't care if they did.

Ah ha. I see Mikie is here. Well, I'll let her put up the "This volume is closed" notice.

Love to everydobby
    Rock
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY MORE ON THIS THREAD. I'M GOING TO OPEN A NEW PORCH RIGHT NOW. THANK YOU.

LOVE, MIKIE