PORCHLIGHT VOLUME 672 IS NOW CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Hi to everyone,

Hope you are all trying to stay WARM. It has been cold here for sure. Was 26 early this morning. I should be doing exercises but I have been bad. That should have been my resolution or one of them :)!! Always something to do for me or us. Went to the chiro this morning and to the store and to the Verizon store for more questions asked and tried to be answered. I can't believe how different . His phone and mine are. I may be getting his phone if he gets a new one. We will see. He keeps changing his mind. We must have gotten a book with it but God knows where it is if he did get one with it.

Leah - Hope you are doing better. Do you make the matzo balls for the soup or are they already made? Or does DH make them? He sounds like a dear for cooking for you? I love lentil soup and split pea and not sure if I have had Matzo ball soup. I need to go the ingredients for them. I have no more split peas or lentils. This is the time for them, for sure.

Barry - You sure are smart liking lentils. Is Richard the cook in your house, sounds like he may be. Sorry to say my DH doesn't do to much cooking occasional eggs or grilled meats outside. I agree that those stick blenders are wonderful. I have one too and does a great trick. However, before that I just used a potato masher. That works too.

Mikie - How warm is it where you live today? You said Barb wanted you to go out and drink coffee or whatever with her. Much to cold for that here, at least for me. It was 26 early this morning and supposed to be in 50's. Not sure it got there. Stayed in the house all afternoon.BRRRR!!

Julie - Hope you and all the kiddos are doing well and staying as warm as you can. Can't remember what you said exactly in your post. Oh, you are smart only to go to see your brother or is it Den's and not your uncle too, especially since the brother is ill. So glad Den and maybe you can also help some while you are both there. That is wonderful of you both. Hope your little ones start feeling better after their tummy bugs.

Spring Water - Hope all is going well for you and things straightening out for your family after your loss.

Please excused if I missed speaking personally to each one of you dear ones.

Yes, I agree about Colonoscopies been a very useful tool and can eliminate problems later on, especially if there is a family history. Both of us also have those kits sitting here from last year on doing the stool culture things. That is great tool too if people use them. Now we wait to see how much we will have to pay on mine and that may determine if DH gets one or not. He is already balking :)!!! :eek::(

Love to awl,.
    Granni :)
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Granni: I've heard about those stool kits........isn't that in case you see blood? I'm like your DH although with all this stress with my DH I'm encountering IBS more often, so may reconsider. We go to his surgeon on tuesday....apparently it is up to him to determine if he orders a virtual colonostomy and blood tests along with labs. Tell you husband about what's happening to mine.......mention he had NO symptoms of any stomach troubles at all. He might change his mind.

Freida: I've never had matzo ball soup but I'm game to make it. Will have to doa search for a recipe.
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Sun - The stool kits are usually to determine if there is any blood in the stool. They can also determine other things but I think that is one of the biggest problem that they look for. If they do find it they will definitely do more tests including possibly a Colonoscopy. You usually have to take 2 samples and one is about all me or DH could muster. I could probably do it but he never. I hope to get him to take the Colonoscopy as he has never had one but then I would have to hear the moaning and groaning every time he had to go to the bathroom for the prep. I 'm sorry but he is a real baby when it comes that kind of stuff. As it is now he has some kind of a rash on his butt, inside where I can't see . I thought it was by the anus but it isn't. The PCP looked at it and gave him an anti fungal/steroid prep that he has been using. It feels better then comes back or gets worse I hear it every day . Of course you have to si on your butt all the time so not much time to heal, and sweat esp in the warmer weather like here is a lot :)!! Don't know if it is partially because he is an only child or not or just men - or some men. I know some men aren't that way but I have heard from other wives who say that their hubbys were babies too when it comes to that kind of stuff. Plus, I guess cause I had been a nurse he comes to me and asks me if he can take an IBU. or aspirin for something. Of course, no need to ask me :)!

I know people who have had to have a colostomy due to having radical surgery of the bowel and many times a colonoscopy could have kept them from having to have the surgery. My dance teacher was that way and she moved away so no idea how she turned out. She had cancer. She was fairly young like in her late 30's I am guessing or maybe a bit older and had remarried. She had to sell her studio . It was very sad. Hoping that she did ok after her move.

Not sure if there are other stool culture tests or not but many times , as they are especially now going more towards the yearly checkup and prevention many docs hand out these culture kits that you send out after you get the cultures yourselves. This way they can see if anyone needs to have a followup Colonoscopy or other tests or treatment. They started doing this last year at our doctors not knowing what was going to happen with the insurance business and the costs of medical procedures, etc. rising. We held onto the kits and never did anything until this yearly checkup the docs are trying to get everyone to have one who hasn't had one before ( colonoscopy) for screening. I didn't particularly like it but I went and had it done. Slept through the whole think. It is the prep that is the most uncomfortable part but the drink not half as bad as the stuff they used to prescribe - like a gallon of salt water. I am not a big water drinker either so that was really bad.

Good luck to your DH. I know you are worried and so you and he should be as that is very normal. Just hope and pray all be well. We will pray with you too. When does he go for his surgery? I know it will seem like forever before he has it done. Hopefully all will go well and it will come out be no more problem. DH had prostate surgery years ago and we were of course worried but got it fairly early , as his PSA took a very quick rise, and he goes periodically for checkups and so far so good. I think it might be about 10 years or more already.

Leah and Sun - Need to fine out more about Matzo ball soup. Let me know if you find an EASY and good recipe :)!!

Gotta fun for now. Hope both of yu are staying WARM and your electricity staying ON.

Thinking of both of you and all in this COLD winter blast. Another is supposed to come our way in another couple days too but it won't be like you guys get and most likely no snow. It was in the 20's last night.

Love you,
    :)Granni
  4. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

Granni, zinc oxide is very good for rashes....like desitin or generic...I had a underarm rash 2 summers ago and used so many things and finally it dawned on me, zinc oxide, I use CVS 40% ZO and cleared it up immediately after 6 months of trying so many things........I use it for skin tags or some moles....I don't run to MD's. as you may suspect....uh...
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  5. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi Porchies!

Sorry I've been incommunicado again! The holidays knocked the stuffing out of me. I came down with bronchitis the Monday before Christmas. Felt like crud. :( Was supposed to return to work on the 27th. Was still too sick. Went back the following Monday. Played catch up. So much to get done and so little time as I was off for paid holiday the first of January. I'm still coughing, hacking and blowing! But I'm not running a fever anymore.

I am so glad the holidays are over! Spent yesterday and today "un-decorating" the facility. I have everything down except the 3 trees. The head housekeeper was kind enough to tell me that she and her girls will do that for me next week. What a sweet crew I work with. The housekeeping staff are just the nicest people to work with. Always offer to lend me a hand when they see I'm "bogged down".

I completely missed the entire last thread! So much going on with everyone. I've not the time right now to reply to all. I will just say this: To those who are ill, I wish you better days. To those with sick family, I wish them well. To those who have suffered losses, I send my sympathies. To the one who has to have the endoscopy......been there! No fun! Hope nothing was found amiss. To Newbies...Welcome!!!! To old friends who we haven't heard from lately, thanks for coming back! I was so pleased to see Joan posting! And Diane and Freida and newbies! We love newbies! Rock, I hope your NRG returns soon. You are always so much fun when you're up to posting. Love your droll sense of humor.

Granni, Julie, Mikie, Sun, Jam, Barry, I have missed talking to everyone so much! Things will be a little slower now for a bit so maybe I can spend more time on the Porch with y'all. The good news is, even with all the major work, the freezing temps, and the lifting, tugging, pushing, pulling and abuse I've done my body-----no flare! Woohoo!! :D I may have bronchitis, but my body is still holding up with the regimin I've been on for the last several months. Last year this time, I was in total agony. No so this year. Thank God, herbal remedies and homeopathic medicines!!!!!

Glad some of you got a kick out of my Pyewackett stories. He is a very unique cat. I wish you could meet him. He's totally not aware he's a cat. He is the social greeter in the house. He is the calmest animal I've ever met. He is a brazen begger at the table. He's the most affectionate, head bumping, nose rubbing, snoot kissing cat I've ever had. He is just a big "love furball".

He doesn't chase, he doesn't play, he doesn't run unless he's finally had enough of the snooty siamese and feels she needs a good tail kicking! He's a total lapcat, loves to be held and is so squishy to snuggle with. He wants to be wherever I am and purrs just out of sheer "happy to be here" mode. His purr can be heard up to 15 feet from where he is!

He just loves everybody on contact. I've never had an animal who "trills" and "murfs" instead of meowing like a normal cat before. His mode of communication is totally comical. He's a one of a kind. If I ever lost him, I'd be so devastated. His personality is so singular, there is not another like him. He's my "large and in charge" boy.

I spent my New Year's Eve and New Year's Day in bed watching movies I love and haven't watched in some time. I watched The King and I, My Fair Lady, Harvey, It's a Wonderful Life, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, and Call of The Wild. Ahhhh! What a luxury! :)

To all on the Porch, Happy 2014! And thank you one and all for allowing me to be a part of this Porchie family. You are, one and all, very sweet and wonderful to have as friends.

Loves N' Hugs
    Dar
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  6. springwater

springwater Member

Hello everydobby

i just missed Elaine when i used that word..i hope she is fine. long time,no hear.

Granni - your area seems to hv a lot of lovely restaurants! i didnt get to stay up
    till midnight neither...on new years eve. the downside of having a large family
    (on both sides) is someone or other is always dying. so we hv had to miss this
    'do' we get invited to at a hotel every year, for three years running. last year,
    it was uncle, this time its brother. the year before it was someone else. cant even
    remember! i was embarassed so dh just told the GM that i had sprained my foot,
    and the GM was kind enough to arrange for a new years eve dinner packed
    hamper to be sent over. so we had that. i watched tv like u did but fell asleep
    around 11pm.

Joan - thanks for coming on and posting. i was sad for your dear friend
    whose son passed from colon cancer...im sure he is in a better place but
    how shocking for his near and dear ones...and then your friend with the
    heart issues..what is it with these organs of ours not behaving the way they
    should? its really handy to hv a tech savvy son like yours who can fix our
    computer problems. hope yours will behave well now. reading your posts
    gives me an insight into life there as i would never know. i do love the
    sound of your place and the one where Julies father stays. i wish we all
    would hv such to take care of us when we need it.

Julie - it is so sweet of you and Den your lovely lovely dh to go down and try
    and help out with your brothers stuff. i pray for your SIL. That she gets
    thru all the chemo and emerges healthy and illness free at the end of it.

Hope the lil kiddies too recover soon from their bout of sniffles and bug.

Leah - i didnt know anyone else had lentils here on the board..lentils is
    a staple for us in this country and nowadays i always make sure i hv
    it daily as it supplies protein.

I also want to try grannis bean soup since that is also so nutritious.

Mikie - your home sounds lovely and light! those colours, white, beige.
    and i love that you hv the chutzpah and know how to DIY!!

Rock - yes, energy is elusive! i hope you find back yours really soon
    and come and light up this porch with your posts and witticisms.

yesterday we had our 3rd week prayer ceremony at the hillside
    monastery. and it went good. got to visit the holy site again
    and had a nice snack of potato curry, hot tea and tortilla
    bread at a little wayside inn down the hillside.

i cried when they took a picture of brother and set it on fire,
    after a lot of prayers to bless him with light, a good rebirth
    where he would be wise, healthy, fortunate and all those
    things. and just after each of us family members offered
    a dish of different foods to say a last farewell. this food then
    gets placed outside after blessings to let the birds feed on it.

the monastery fed us lunch and then again resumed prayers.

the site is one where there is a spring and ponds of clear water
    where fish swim and no fishing is allowed...there is a hindu temple
    nearby too and the energy is so calm and peaceful. i played for a
    while with the monastery dogs. black tibetan mastiffs. they were so
    gentle and friendly i kind of wondered if theywere any good as guards,
    lol. which is the reason they are there.

from our monastery on the clifftop we could see the village down below and
    two other doggies, who were roving over all creation, lol! so happy and
    carefree! they gambolled, barked, went up the road chasing something,
    around the temple sniffing at stuff, down the stream to chat with the
    village ladies washing clothes in the stream! what a life! more social
    than myself! haha. i barked at them and one of them would hv made
    it up the hill, to come chat but he got distracted and gave up the idea.
    it was a white fatso doggie with lovely perked up ears.

well, to everybody hello, keep warm, keep safe

God Bless
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Sunflower Girl, I left off in mid-sentence. I was laughing because only my front window and door are what I would call well Feng Shuied at the moment. Well, that and my little sitting room. The rest of this place is a mess because I've had so much to do and no NRG.

Jam, I'm not telling anyone they should get a colonoscopy. It's just my opinion that it's a life-saving procedure which is not painful, just a bit inconvenient. What you decide to do is your business. It's a personal decision. Not everyone gets colon cancer but for those who do, it can be cured in the early stage. If not caught early, it's a major form of cancer, usually involving surgery and, perhaps, chemo. The fact that no one else in a family has gotten it does not ensure that other family members will not get it. On the other side of the coin, if someone familial has had it, the chances are good that another family member will get it. That is why I started early with the test and am alive today because I did.

Joan, I'm so sorry to hear your friend's son died of his colon cancer. I think losing a child must be the most painful thing a person can endure. Sending up a prayer for her and the family.

Leah, still praying for your kitty. Hope you see improvement soon. Also hope you see some warmer weather.

Julie, I am hoping everyone gets well and stays well in your family. Sooooo many people are sick right now.

After Barb and I had our coffee, when I abruptly left y'all yesterday, I decided to take down our Xmas decorations. It was really cold out with a brutal wind. Still, I was anxious to get everything put away in that closet. As I was putting other things away in that room, I fell and hit my face in the exact same spot as before. This time, though, I went down more slowly and was able to put my hands down to slow the fall. Of course, now, my arms and hand are very sore. They went numb for a while yesterday. I felt as though I had a slight concussion but my pupils were even and reacting to light and I wasn't seeing double. I felt nauseated but ate a bit to try to settle my stomach. I was overcome with sleepiness and gave into it even though one is not supposed to. I figured it was safe since it wasn't a major head injury. I slept all day. Still feel a bit achy but think I'll be OK.

I've decided to talk to my other board members, who will be down on the 7th, and tell them we need another storage box for behind our hedge out front. The boxes don't show but they hold a lot. This way, I can get rid of the bldg. paint and Xmas decorations and make more room in my closet so when I need something, I don't have to move six other things to get to it. I think we got our other bin for around $80. Hope we can get a matching one at Sear's.

It got down in the 40's last night--very cold for us. We are usually in the 60's and 70's at night this time of year. We are in for more cold weather this week with some mild weather in between. Barb and I had planned to go shopping for yet another bush today but don't think I feel up to it. Maybe tomorrow. Publix is offering the gas cards at 20 percent off so I want to get another one. I just filled up the car and it ate a whole $50 card. Ever since I've been using those cards, it kills me to pay retail for gas (or, actually, for most anything else :)

I hope and pay everyone has a good day and start to this New Year.

Love, Mikie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

OMG, Dar and Springwater, I didn't see your posts. My brain must still be a bit scrambled. Sorry.

Dar, I'm so sorry for the bronchitis. My DD has had it too. I hope and pray you recover fast! Pyewachett sounds like one in a million. Those little love noises cats make are so sweet. Even people who claim not to like cats are usually won over by a sweet one like Pye. I'm glad you work with such sweet people but I'll bet they are just returning your sweetness. I think binge watching TV or movies on TV is therapeutic for what ails us. Let us know how you are doing.

Springwater, thank you for your kind words. I was married to Mr. Home Improvement for 26 years, so I learned a lot. When I'd see work done by "handymen" or "professionals," I decided I couldn't possibly do worse and that is what gave me the chutzpah to try new things. I'm sorry the ceremony for your brother was sad for you but I really think sadness is part of the healing process. Of course, we never completely heal from such a loss but over time, the pain is less raw. I truly believe prayer and ritual help us. The ceremony sounds lovely. So does the area where you live. I think a lot of us would enjoy a simpler life with less hectic activity around us. I pray for healing for you.

OK, hope I didn't miss anyone else. I think I made the right decision to stay home today. Don't think I should be on the road.

Love, Mikie
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

OMG, again! I see more posts on this page. I'm so sorry if I've missed anyone. I think my concussion may be worse than I thought. Oy! Please forgive me if you are not acknowledged here.

Barry, will have to try lentils. I've heard wonderful things about them. It's been so cold here that a good soup would be wonderful. We have a small café here which has delicious matza ball soup.

Granni, it was so cold yesterday that we didn't stay out long. I had on my long fuzzy-wuzzy robe and a shawl over my legs. I changed into my long yoga pants, a tee shirt, and a hoodie to take down our few Xmas decorations. Things went downhill from there, as mentioned in my previous posts.

I'm so sorry for all these posts. I'm so confused after falling. I probably should stay in bed all day today too.

Love, Mikie
  10. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Oh dear, Mikie! I hope you didn't hurt yourself worse than what it seems...

I only have a minute, but tried to skim the posts...thinking of everyone.

I got Keira home yesterday...they wanted me to stay overnight, but I just didn't feel up to it and wanted to be home in case I started to get sick. Got myself back home around 10:30 pm. Everyone in Lindsey's household (except for her) has had that stomach bug again...I wasn't around them very much, but enough I could have possibly picked it up.

We are bracing for more snow and very low temps. With the windchills, we are looking at -35 to -45 degrees. Den is out right now, getting more firewood...he is "on call" so my job is to listen for his phone while he is running the chainsaw and skid loader. We have other heat sources, but since we have the firewood, and the wood furnace is working great...it is nice to be able to save money wherever we can...

Take care, all...have a wonderful weekend!

Oh, BTW...we aren't going to Texas until late February or March. Can't leave with this weather so uncertain...could be problems with the boiler or furnace, or a water break, or anything else on the farm...it would be a disaster if the weather happened to be bad at the same time.

My brother's wife did okay with her first chemo treatment, but my brother is already getting very depressed...we just want to go and do some things to make their lives easier and try to give him some motivation and support. Doctor only gave her 1-2 years...not that they can really tell, but said that's an "average" of how long his patients with the same situation as SIL is in.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  11. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi all!

Barry, Leah, Granni, I am also a lover of lentil soup. I just made a batch about 2 weeks ago. I threw some cut up ham, onions, celery, carrots, cumin, sea salt, cayenne pepper, parsley flakes, vegetable base from "Oh Nuts", (my favorite herb and fresh tea shop), fresh garlic cloves, a bay leaf, and just the smallest smidge of ground cloves into the crockpot and let it go on low for about 3 hours. Yum! Lentils are a very healthy legume. It was the first time my daughter had had lentils. She loved it. I don't blend mine. I like it "as is" with a cracker or two.

Julie, It's been frigid here too. When I passed the bank on Friday morning it was zero with a windchill of 20 below. It's going to get worse. They're predicting by Wednesday it will be below freezing, (possibly between 9 degrees or more below zero with windchills of up to 30 degrees or more below zero). It's horrid. Sorry to hear the younguns' are sick again. Seems endless for you and your family. Hope you feel better soon. Stay warm!

Mikie, OMG! Concussion? I must have missed that one in all the posts! I am so sorry you fell. Hope you'll be ok. That sounds serious! Please take it easy. Matzo ball soup has been on my list of things to try for some time. Maybe soon. Thanks for the concern. This bronchitis just doesn't seem to want to shake off. Fever was gone by 30th, but the cough and stuffy nose are hanging on like grim death to a sick monkey. I think it's because I have to keep going out in this awful cold. Just when I begin to feel some better, I have to go back out in it. Take care of yourself Mikie. Pyewackett appreciated your complements and says hello. LOL :)

Joan, My sincere sympathy goes out to you and your friend. To lose a son is heartbreaking. Losing him to cancer, well.....could not have been an easy process. I will pray for him and for you both as well.

Leah, I hope your kitty improves. It's like watching a sick child. It tears me up when one of my kitties gets hurt or sick. Our pets are "family". We love them like family. I will say a prayer for kitty too. Good luck.

Spring, the ceremony for your dear one sounds so lovely. I'm truly sorry for your loss. The way you describe the ceremony and the way your family "celebrated" his life is so different from our observances here. So much more "earthy" and "personal". I can't imagine your sadness when the picture of him was ignited as a final send off. Though, I am truly "touched" by the process as you described it and the symbolism that is contained in the act. I send to you my prayers and warm thoughts. God bless and keep you.

Granni, hope your DH gets some relief soon. Poor man. I also pray the New Year brings you both better health, happiness, and smiles. How goes the exercise regimin? Is it helping? Hope so. You've been so dedicated. I admire the "spunk" you have.

Sun, I have missed so many posts. I pray this finds you better and with much to smile upon. We're always looking for a happy spot aren't we? A place that gives us a feeling of peace and contentment. Feng Shui indeed. A warm spot in the sun is just the ticket. My best to you.

Rock, I pray you feel better and your NRG returns. Your posts are sorely missed when you are "down". You and Gordon have had a "weird" year. This year I wish you this Irish blessing from a lovely little Irish Blessing book my mother bought back in 1984 at Inner Harbor, Baltimore, Maryland:

Wherever there is happiness
    Hope you'll be there too,
    Wherever there are friendly smiles
    Hope they smile on you,
    Wherever there is sunshine,
    Hope it shines especially
    For you to make each day for you
    As bright as it can be.

Love to all and to those I may have failed to mention.
    Dar
  12. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Waiting for my split pea soup to cook. It is starting to smell really good. Went to the store this morning and picked up some split peas, carrots, celery and bread and long with some lentils. Getting ready for the next blast to come through and ours will not be as bad as some of yours, at least no precip., they say.

Jam - I am like you and usually experiment with things myself when I get crazy symptoms other than skyrocketing b/p. Not sure if we tried anything else on his rash but I may do so before deciding to tell him to go to a dermatologist. It is also in a dumb place that gets no air and especially when it is warm out and he gets sweaty it gets worse. I know all about Desitin ( zinc oxide) and used it lots on the babies. Worked great. Luckily we have insurance and so the antifungal med is pretty cheap. Will give it a little longer.

Barry - I never heard or saw those other lentils you were talking about. That will probably be the next soup I make.

Dar - So glad that your new regime is helping you this year and hopefully into this new year too. What natural things are you using? Stay warm ear friend and safe too.
    a
    Julie - You are safe not to think about going anywhere for a few months. I know how that can ago . I remember when we went to my parents home on Long Island where we also lived for Easter dinner. I believe it was in April and we got a big snow storm and we had to carry all the kids into the car with their Easter clothes and all on. Crazy . You never know in some of these places and it seems lately our weather everywhere has really gone wild and off the deep end.

Mikie - Did you say you got a concussion? I heard you had fallen and hit your head. Did you go to the docs or is that just your assumption? Take care dear YOUNG friend and try and take it easy so your head and all can get better.

SW - Hi there sweetie. It is great that you have been posting. I am trying to keep up but still need to put away our Christmas decorations. Tomorrow will be a really wild day- first church and then I will have to fix the salad for the old timers K of C party meeting they will be having for the older knights who haven't been able to come to the meetings.

Then we have to go to a funeral home for a friend whose husband was also a knight and she used to be in choir passed away from cancer, I think lung cancer even though he didn't smoke . Not sure if he used to or not. He was in his 80's but quite active, talkative and a very funny guy. There will be a viewing and Rosary and guarding of the casket by other Knights of Columbus, Not sure if we will get the funeral or not. It will be Monday and they are talking about awful temperatures and winds. We will see how it is at that time although I do want to go.:(

Hi there to Frieda too. Hope you are feeling better. Your DH is a gem cooking and taking care of you. Sounds like a keeper to me :)! Bye for now.

Love to everydobby,
    Granni :)
  13. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Mikie: OMG, I sure hope it's not a concussion. Were you hurrying to get some things done or what? I'm learning to walk a tad slower, and thinking before I do anything. I've fallen in the past, spraining both ankles and I think that scared me. If you're not better by tomorrow you might think about seeing a doctor.

Spring: that was such a interesting post.....your brother's 3rd week of prayers. I've seen those giant mastiffs.....can't believe they were playful. I can understand how you felt burning his photo.....very moving. When my mom died she had wanted to be cremated. A month later we held a celebration of her life with her ashes being placed into the open grave from my father, who had died 37 years earlier. A strange, sad feeling seeing my father's coffin, and then my mom's container sitting on a table next to flowers and a photo of her. After the sharing from the family we all took a flower from an arrangement and dropped it into the open grave where her container had been placed. A very tearfilled time, but a closure.

Dar: I've had this bug since the 26.......still a running nose.......I want to scream. I had one night of really bad coughing but remembered my humidifier and have been running it ever since. Bad headache for 4 days.....figured it was sinus troubles though how could that be if my nose keeps draining? Hope you start to feel better.

Everyone talking about matzo ball soup makes me want to find a good Jewish deli where I could get some. I had it once almost 50 years ago but I remember how good it was. Thanks Frieda for bringing it up. Did you get your sink repaired?

Hello to everyone I haven't personally addressed. This board is REALLY a problem for Ipads.......and no Mikie.....haven't heard back from the powers that be.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  14. Darrae

Darrae Member

Leah Freida,

Thank you. It's nice to be getting to know you too. Anyone who is a cat lover is always good in my book! Kiss Pearl Kitty and tell her Pye and I are rooting for her recovery. :)

Granni, The list of things I take is rather lengthy, but here it is: Prescriptions: 800 mg Lodeine XL, 10 mg Flexoril, 125 mcg Levothyroxine. Levothyroxine an hour before breakfast on an empty stomach. Lodeine XL and Flexoril one each in the morning with breakfast. And one each at bed time with a small snack.

Supplements(All are Spring Valley Brand): 1200 mg. fish oil, 2000 IU D-3, 400 IU Vitamin E, 1200 mg Red Yeast Rice, 2000 mcg B-12, 1000 mg Niacin, 250 mg B-1, 100 mg B-6, 1000 mg L-Lysine, 2000 mg vitamin C, 600 mg Calcium, 2,380 mg Potassium Gluconate, 200 mcg Selenium, 500 mg Magnesium, and 50 mg Zinc.

Homeopathics & Herbs (All Herbs are Spring Valley Brand): 1000 mg Cinnamon plus Chromium, 1,000 mg Whole Herb Ginger Root, 500 mg Turmeric Curcumin, 84 mg Cranberry plus C, Walgreen's brand Red Wine Extract with grape seed (forget the dosage, just take 1 daily), Hyland's Homeopathic Arnica for stiffness, swelling, bruising and pain PRN (as needed), Hyland's Homeopathic Nerve Tonic for stress relief (can take one or two tablets), Hyland's Homeopathic Calmes Forte (two tablets) to help with sleep along with 6 mg Spring Valley Melatonin. If I'm super-stressed, I will take Spring Valley 300 mg St John's Wort 9.3% sometime throughout the day. Don't need that very often.

The Prescriptions, Nerve Tonic, L-Lysine, Fish Oil, I take in the morning with breakfast.
    The B's, Yeast Rice, Niacin, Cinnamon, Turmeric, Cranberry, Wine extract, and Vitamin C, I take with lunch.

The Calcium, D-3, Potassium, Selenium, Magnesium, and Zinc I take mid-afternoon with a small snack. (I never take these with the Vitamin C as it inhibits absorbtion).
    The Calmes Forte and Melatonin I take at bedtime.

I take the Arnica and St. John's Wart as needed. I also do not drink tap water. I drink only Natural Spring Water delivered by Country Spring Bottled Water. I drink about 6 glasses daily or more, depending on how dehydrated I get at work on a given day. I know it sounds like a lot, but I take my Levothyroxine while putting on my face in the morning, pack 3 pill packs to take to work with the right combinations. And take my night meds and supps when I get home. Took me a while to get this combination figured out. But it's been working beautifully for several months now.

Love N hugz,
    Dar
  15. jaminhealth

Dar, looking at your supp list, 2380 mg potassium, I take extra potassium per day in the form of 3-4 99mg caps of glucconate or citrate but your high dose...WHY....when I get my annual labs my potassium comes in on the low end of range, and I take extra for more energy (I hope).......I eat no bananas, they are full of sugar and mold content.....I'm off them.... one can overdose on potassium and get very toxic.....jm
  16. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Looks like this volume is overflowing :) I will go over and start us up a new one...
  17. jaminhealth

Dar, in case you missed my query on potassium...sounds extreme dosing.

Dar, looking at your supp list, 2380 mg potassium, I take extra potassium per day in the form of 3-4 99mg caps of glucconate or citrate but your high dose...WHY....when I get my annual labs my potassium comes in on the low end of range, and I take extra for more energy (I hope).......I eat no bananas, they are full of sugar and mold content.....I'm off them.... one can overdose on potassium and get very toxic.....jm
  18. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi Jam,

I totally understand why you would ask this question. Here's the answer:

The dosage is the equivalent over-the-counter to what the Herbalist prescribed for me in water solubles. In that the water soluble is no longer available, I calculated the equivalent dose.
    This conversion was done back in 2005.

The reason for the high dose is that in the Hair Analysis the Herbalist did, my potassium was almost non-existant and my sodium was extremely off balance with it. This created a situation where I retained water so badly that it actually built up between my skull and brain, creating excruciating and debilitating headaches.

Even though I avoided salt like the plague, watched labels, bought fresh or frozen products only, did not use table salt, never had a pickle, chips, dips, cookies, or hotdog for 12 years! I simply could not have any of the foods that contained sodium. If I bought canned vegetables, I drained and rinsed them before cooking. I was living a life of "No Salt" ever!

My face, feet, legs, abdomen, hands....everything swelled and I looked really bloated. Sometimes my hands and feet would become so bad they looked like hotdogs getting ready to split, were uncomfortable and felt "tight". Due to the gastric bypass I had in '83, my absorption capability is diminished, and I cannot get what I need from diet alone. I suffered with this for years before the Herbalist did this test. Even before the bypass for that matter.

Since going on this dose level I've experienced no more headaches, water retention, or any other difficulties related. My M.D. is aware of this and is okay with my dose level. It levels out my potassium to sodium ratio and keeps me in balance. This body just isn't textbook since the bypass. But in respect to potassium, it wasn't before the bypass either. If I do not take my usual dose, I begin to experience the old retention dilemma again and all the problems that go with it. I do not recommend this for others. My physiology is not the norm. The good news is, I can now have a pickle! :) I can eat foods I couldn't have before. Though I only use sea salt and kosher salt and always will. I don't eat much "junk" food to this day due to salt.

For someone with a "normal" stomach and absorption capacity, who has never had a retention problem, this would not be necessary. I would never advise a "norm" to take this dose. It's the only dose in my regimen that is out of the normal range for most people.

Dar
  19. jaminhealth

Well, you saw this, I moved it to the new porch and here is the answer...so you had a gastric bypass??? ummm, I'm sure that would CHANGE so much in a person's body....thinking about it.

Wonder how much that dose you take equals OTC, I'd bet SO MANY come in on the low end of their labs and doc just sluffs it off, potassium is vital for heart and helps with energy....a friend here on the board takes higher dosing of OTC and some times 700mg bump...but usually 3-400mg daily as I remember...she deals with challenging CFS....I muscle test, as does she, and our body tells us what we need, usually...

We do need sodium, I had a friend who is now departed, but she was paranoid about salts as she dealt with HBP and avoided salts, but at the end of her years was passing out while sitting and in the ER was found to be almost depleted in potassium...she thought a banana would be her help...not so. Oh, thru all this with my old friend, she developed horrible pitted edema and I really tried my best to help her but she kept with kaiser and their so called advice....she had taken grape seed ex in some early years but went off it...grape seed ex is great for edema issue. but the other issues are critical to be addressed and balanced.....
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014