PORCHLIGHT VOLUME 694 IS NOW OPEN

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's time for a new Porch. There are some new posts on the old Porch 693.

I think that my allergies have opened me up to one of my sleeper chronic viruses so am on Acyclovir. I have a cold sore trying to take over a spot on my lower lip and I woke with a sore throat and swollen lymph nodes. Good thing I have nothing to do.

I want to shower and run down to Target to use a coupon but it's not crucial. Usually, when I shower and get ready, I can do a few things before I have to just lie down. Simon hasn't been by in about a week so either something has happened to him or he's found a better place to eat. I just hope he isn't sick and suffering by himself somewhere.

Sending love, hugs and prayers to everyone.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Julie, I hope you feel better too. I saw from the last thread that you are your usual busy, busy self. Slow down if you can to just take care of you. I finally made myself get into the shower and get ready to go out. I needed some good food (for my cholesterol diet), including fish, veggies and dark chocolate. This diet regimen isn't all bad. I had a small sirloin steak with brocholi and a bit of cranberry sauce for lunch, with a glass of red wine. I ate a couple of pieces of dark chocolate for dessert. I got some frozen wild caught salmon and sword fish at Target while I was there. They had a $5 coupon for buying $15 worth of hair care products. I spent more than $15 but the products are good and, at least, I saved $5.

I also had two $10 coupons for spending $25 at Bealls so got a pair of cute B&W print Capris and a pair of black ones with a bit of bling on the back pockets. They retailed at $44 and $46 and I ended up spending $18 and $19 respectively for them as they were already on sale. I love Gloria Vanderbilt pants. They fit like gloves. I've now lost 17 pounds on the cholesterol diet even though I haven't felt up to doing any aerobic workouts lately. I have one pair of pants I'll have to take up or give away and another which is getting there too. I want to lose some weight but it's hard on the wardrobe. Barb lost about 50 pounds and ended up getting all new clothes.

Simon has been gone as long as 4-5 days before but never this long, about a week. I just hope it's the nature of a homeless cat and that he'll show up. Since being on this cholesterol regimen, I've been sleeping better, and longer, but with DST, it's about the same in real time. It shouldn't have affected Simon. I don't want to just put a bowl out or the possum will eat it all. I did put some nuts in the tree face lower lip and a little young squirrel found it. Guess I'll go replenish the stash. It's fun to watch them find the nuts.

Hope we get some more people here to the porch. I'm so tired and my throat is sore so may just go lie down a bit. Sending y'all my best.

Love, Mikie
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

I'm baack !!! However, not much time to post. Had a great time. Have to fix dinner and leave to go to the Choral Society performance tonight. Then that will be done till mid August. Some good songs tonight. Hope they can understand some of these words. The program is about THE AMERICAN SPIRIT and coming over from other countries and across the plains to what is now the USA. Rather moving . Wish some of the people who live here appreciated and didn't take for granted what we do have here,

Can't get into that subject now. Off to eat and then sing. We got back late yesterday and then I was off to dress rehearsal. Glad it will be over with next week.

Mikie - Thanks for starting us up again. Need to back read but am now so behind in everything since we were gone. Hope you feel better and can go shop 9:!!

Julie - Glad you had a good trip too. MOre later.

Lovel,'
    Granni
  4. jole

jole Member

You busy, busy ladies :) Makes me feel like I'm doing something just by reading...thank you!! Julie, your reunion at your farm sounds like it will be great. My brother had one at his farm, and we've talked about it here, but we don't have a big shed that's free. It's sure a lot cheaper than renting a hall somewhere, and the kids have a great time with all the space to run around in. No worries about weather, either. Speaking of which, isn't it crazy how it's in the 70s one day and 40s the next?? We had some snow again this morning. Spring isn't wanting to arrive full force it seems.

Mikie, congrats on the weight loss and doing it the healthy way. (The wine and chocolate :) ). I have never had you pictured as having an ounce to spare, so that was kind of a shock. This past year I added 20 pounds and have no idea why. Unfortunately, it's a lot harder to find clothes going UP in size rather than DOWN. I'm pretty much okay though, since I rarely need more than one outfit that's not loungewear. Would love new clothes just for the sake of it, but the styles are horrible (I think). Just don't see anything that's both cute and age appropriate, although 'they' say if it fits, it's appropriate.....lol.

Granni, can't wait to hear more about your trip. Gee, what will you do with all your time without all the performances? I think The American Spirit sounds good, and I agree a lot of people take things for granted these days.

Our youngest DD and family are coming to visit tomorrow. Looking forward to them a lot, especially since it's just for part of the day.......can enjoy them so much more than if they come for the weekend. I think they're finally getting that it's just not possible for me anymore. Hello to everyone~~ No other news here.
  5. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Haven't been up to posting. Just the same old, same old. Gordon is working like a Trojan to
    clean out the garage. One of his brothers, the big guy who works out, came over. Moved
    2 sets of box springs and mattresses out to the curb. The bulk trash people will pick them up;
    we hope. Last time we put something out it took 8 days and two phone calls to accomplish
    the task.

Yesterday Gordon called them again about new stuff to pick up. He asked if they would take
    an aquarium. The response was, "What's that?" Guess he should have said "el acuario".
    In with all the junk are some new items; never used. An igloo cooler still in plastic wrap.
    An electric cooker of some sort. And stacks of magazines going back to 1981. Uff-da! Well,
    he should be done in another 3 or 4 months. I am unable to help in any meaningful way.

Mikie, I hope your anti viral works, and that Simon comes home. We've had a black and
    white cat around here twice during the past week. I've been putting out kibble and water.
    Sometimes something eats the kibble. Haven't seen the cat again though.

Julie, glad you had a nice trip. Good luck with the reunion. Our family never had reunions
    when I was a kid, but after I moved to California my Aunt in Rochester started organizing
    them at a state park. It was like a picnic; everybody brought stuff. Gordon and I
    went to two over the years. I thought they were great.

Gotta go lie down. Back is acting up again. Hugs to everydobby.

Rock
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Granni, I think your new theme sounds amazing. I think too many of us take what we have here for granted. Our ancestors had to overcome so many obstacles to settle here. I also love the diversification of our people. It would be nice if we knew more about other cultures, some of which our ancestors came from to come to the U.S. A lot of people keep the old ways and languages alive but back, not too long ago, it wasn't fashionable to appear "just off the boat," so families dropped their cultural differences and adopted the American ways. Glad you had a good time on your trip.

Jole, over the years with these DDs, I've put on a few pounds. I could stand to lose another 10 pounds. I don't worry too much about it but I do want to control my cholesterol. Losing the weight is just the icing on the cake which BTW, I can't eat! :( Exercise is the most important part of my regimen and I have to get back to doing aerobics. My BP is amazing low now and that another good surprise. I'm with you regarding finding appropriate clothing. Good thing we wear Capris, shorts, tee shirts, and sandals all the time down here. Also, we need a wardrobe of bathing suits. The sun and chlorine do them in. Enjoy your DD and family. Even though I'm doing so much better, having my kids here does me in too.

Julie, don't most of us have our "fat" and "skinny" clothes? Weight can fluctuate and it doesn't make sense to throw everything away. When Barb lost 50 pounds almost instantly, it made sense to get rid of her clothes. She had a heart condition and most of the weight was water. She has nice clothes and one neighbor made out well from the donations. You are your usual busy self. Take time to rest.

Rock, sounds as though the garage project is coming along well. We can put large items down by our dumpster and call for a special pickup. My Acyclovir seems to be working. The lymph node swelling is down a bit under my chin. The sore throat is better too. I'm using Abreva to try to keep the cold sore from getting any worse than the sore little bump it is now. Simon wasn't here again this morning so I fear the worst. It is raining but he will come out in the rain if he's really hungry. I've said prayers for him that he isn't suffering.

Well, decided to start using my new Surface2 with Windows 8. The battery was dead so I charged it. The tablet part came on for about a minute and showed it was charging. Then it went off and I can't get it to start again. I've charged it for two days and that ought to be enough for any dead batter. I'll have to find my paperwork, or go to the Microsoft website, to make a claim. I hate it when things don't work, especially new things. :mad:

It's supposed to rain all day so will try to finish up my closet project. It got interrupted yesterday as I felt horrible and had to go out. Oh, I hear thunder so this will be a real cloudburst. We need it. Once the closet is done, I'll have to find my paperwork and get the Surface in to have it fixed.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Love, Mikie
  7. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Hi everyone. Let's see if I remember it all:

Julie is back and is planning a big family reunion. Such energy! I hope you're able to easily pull it off.

Mikie is losing a ton of weight! And good for you too. I hope Simon is OK, just finding a different bowl of food someplace else. Have you talked to his old "owner" about him? Glad to read you're feeling better. I can always tell when I read about your couponing.

Granni is back too and raring to get into a new singing routine. That sounds like a good theme for the nursing home people to enjoy.

Jole is expecting company. Hope you have a wonderful time with your family.

Rock is busy supervising the garage cleaning! Sounds like things are really going good for you. It's amazing how we accumulate stuff. Everytime I drive into the garage I ask myself how it seems to be getting smaller! That means moi has to get out there and toss unnecessary.

We had a very strong earthquake last night about 9 PM. We basically have a glass house (sliding glass doors everywhere) and boy did this BOX shake. I called my DD and talked to a scared 11 year old GS. Him and his dad were checking the house. I heard him say some pots came down and a statue fell off a shelf and broke. We found out that the epicenter was close to where they live. And apparently my GD slept thru it. Called my DD on her cell......she had been shopping with a friend. She laughed.....said her first thought was to run but her friend wanted to pay for everything she had accumulated in her shopping cart. We NEVER get used to earthquakes.

I've done something to my neck and back and they've giving me fits of pain again. I had made up a rubber vest that velcroes closed so when I'm covered with it and my rice filled things and a cold pack around my head my DH knows not to bother me! By the way, he gets his second round of chemo IV on tuesday. He went back to work on thursday and his company has given him a computer to bring home....now waiting on a monitor and other stuff. So far so good with the way he's feeling
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  8. sunflowergirl

Julie: one NEVER is satisfied with a relationship with someone who has passed on. We always have some type of regret over......could have spent more time, or be more patient, or done more for them, been more understanding, been more helpful.....well you get it, the list can go on forever, so don't ever beat yourself up. I'm sure you did the best.

I'm sitting here wearing my cold pack on my head.....using the velcro sewn onto a strong knee hi sock. I had to resort to tramadol several times in the past 24 hrs. along with ibuprofen. I have no idea what brought this on. And the rice filled things I use daily. Driving home from someplace today I was wondering if there is a tiny microwave for a vehicle......maybe the size of a glove compartment. That's actually a funny word for a car anymore......who wears gloves?

I was determined I was going to go someplace today......determined to have type of a life......so my DH and I drove to a little artsy/antique filled town. Haven't been there in a least 8 years and I couldn't believe how it's grown and changed. And talk about people! I thought they were giving away STUFF! We stopped at an art gallery I've been wanting to visit, then had lunch. By then my head was roaring from pain, so we stopped to pick up my DDs dog and bring her home with us for about a week, while they go on a little vacation. It's spring break for the GKs
  9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Good morning awl,
    Not sure what is happening and when today. The choir group or some of them will be singing for the dedication Mass this evening for St. Vincent de Paul and the next phase of our building project. ST V D P hands out food, money and other things to the needy. If I can get a ride from someone I will get their for early practice. If not I will just get there before the celebration begins.

Julie - Glad all is going pretty well for you and that you had a nice weekend so far. Sorry I do not remember everything said. I guess I am getting slowly caught up - little by little. Hope to get back later on - probably not today to chat more.

Sun - Glad you and DH got to get out some. Many times it helps with your emotional and mental state just to get out and about for a bit. Sorry you ended up with a headache. Is it the usual headache or like mine in the back like someone is sitting on the back of your head. Hope you got to feeling better when you got home. I see you are doggie sitting while the g kids and family are out and about.

Mikie -If you find any extra NRG please mail some to me - LOL. Hope you are feeling better and found some more NRG for yourself.

SW - Hope your blackouts are fewer and you get to post more often.

Jam - Heard of another tremor CA had yesterday but do not remember where it was or how close it was to you. They can be scary I am sure, even if it isn't a bad one and not that close to you.

Diane - Hope you are feeling better with less anxiety. How is your weather? Hope it is starting to warm up for you and all the peeps living in the COLD areas.

Rock - Hope you are feeling a little better with some more NRG and that your computer isn't driving you crazy. If so don't feel bad as mine does too at times.

Thinking of you awl but not much time to write.

Love to awl,
    Granni
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Porchies,

It's early Mon. morning and I thought I'd stop in. Didn't get here yesterday. Decided to just take some personal time for introspection. I've been feeling (think I mentioned this earlier here) dissatisfied but can't put my finger on the reason for feeling a lack of purpose. I am bored with the only activities here in the hood--eating, arguing and gossip. I need more. Of course, it's up to me to fix this but at the moment, I'm at a loss as to how to do this. I still want to go shopping for some ice skates. Perhaps getting out on the ice will awaken something in me. That's only external. Yesterday, I watched some old Oprah shows dealing with the soul and spirit. Gary Zukav, author of "Seat of The Soul," was on in a rerun. I got another of his books, "Soul Stories," and started reading. I realize I need to get more in touch with my own soul and spirit. Think instead of the pool, I'll walk for exercise this morning and just enjoy the beauty all around me. I am still not up to snuff but am better.

Sunflower Girl, sending up prayers for you and DH. I hope the chemo does its job. I pray also that your pain goes away. A trip to an artsy little town is my idea of real fun, but it's too bad you weren't feeling well. Also sorry about the EQ but glad everyone is OK. I've been through one and they are scary. After more than a week, Simon is back. He looks better than ever so think he has another spot to eat. I won't worry about him from now on if he's MIA.

Granni, it's so good to hear your church works to help the needy. So many churches do such good work and now we have a new Pope who values service to others. He is so humble and wildly popular. I would also like more NRG. This latent virus is getting better but it's slow to go away. I'm still taking Acyclovir.

Julie, glad to hear you got the cats fed and appropriately dressed. What do cats wear on Sundays? Just kidding. Most of my wardrobe is Capris and tees. I live in them. Have a few dressier outfits for going out to the theatre or whatever. Still, I love the casual lifestyle. I am always doing something around here and it would be foolish to dress up only to get dirty.

My new Surface2 will not turn on even though I've charged it. I think the battery is kaput. It's still under manufacturer's warranty so have to find out how to get it fixed. Hope this isn't an indication of how it will perform in the future. Wish I'd bought a Samsung tablet instead. I may feel differently if they fix the Surface.

Better go brush my teeth and get dressed to go for a walk. Diet has been going well but exercise needs to be brought back into the regimen. Only requirement is to get the heartbeat up for 20 mins. Hope y'all have a good day.

Love, Miki
  11. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

I haven't seen the B & W cat I mentioned in my previous post. But we did have a gold
    cat scarfing up the kibble two nights ago. Last night there was a small skunk. I checked
    a couple hours later. This time there was a large skunk.

I wonder if skunks wash themselves like cats. Their white fur is always immaculate.

Julie, what a kawinkydink. 68 degrees in Iowa. It's supposed to be the same temp here
    today. With a slight chance of rain. That means we won't get any rain, but the folks in
    the foothills might.

Dar, I hope you were able to get your meds/supplements somehow. Terrible to be without.

SG, glad to hear you had an excursion. Too bad about that headache.

Gordon is unrelenting in his attack on the garage. There are guys who pick up trash
    that drive around the neighborhood. They are hunting for metal they can sell for scrap;
    furniture they can use or sell. Anyhoo Gordon now has a phone number for two of these
    entrepeneurs. He calls and they come and help carry stuff. Anything they don't want we
    leave outside on the curb. Sometimes folks help themselves. If not, we call the city and
    eventually they pick it up.

I finished reading one of the supplements to "The Borrowers". (The first in the series came
    out in the 50s. Won a big award for children's books.) I think there are one or two left
    to read. You know what the self-help-be-happy folks tell us. If we want to stay centered
    we need to take of of our inner child. Personally, my inner child somehow got old
    and crotchety in the last few decades. Bah, humbug!

Saw a banner at the bottom of the TV weather report on a humor site. "Temp minus 23 degrees. Minnesota cancelled."

Hi to Springwater, Barry, Jam, Mikie, Jole, and et. al.
    ROCK
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Julie, your grammar was perfect; it was I who decided to twist it around just to give a laugh. Loved the pun, BTW. Never let a good pun go by without sharing. I think our temp was about the same as yours when I went for my walk. I didn't wear a jacket because I'm usually so warm. It was COLD! I got in 17 mins. at my target heart rate instead of 2o. Maybe being cold worked me harder. I did enjoy being out in what passes for nature here. We have a nice nature park across the main street but I'm not familiar with all the paths and don't want to get stuck inside, exhausted with my legs hurting. Walking on pavement is hard. Whine, whine, whine! It gets into the 80's around 4:00 in the afternoon but mornings are so cold. Too cold for the pool. I want to keep up the aerobics because that's the key to lowering my cholesterol. The weight loss is just a bonus. Many of my Capris are stretch demin in all sorts of colors and I think they will continue to fit. I may try taking a couple of pairs of other materials which have become clown pants. All I lack is the red nose and big shoes.

Rock, sounds as though you guys are really making progress on the garage. It should go faster with the help. I think if we relearn to play as children, it may bring some joy into our crotchety lives. That's why I want to skate again. Still, I need to meditate and get in touch with my own self. My depression and malaise may just be that I still have this insidious virus. That, and all the little things which have gone awry lately. Just can't handle much.

I've struggled to find a fabric softener which won't gum up my washing machine. I decided to buy some Method. It is lightly scented. When mixed with some vinegar, the scent doesn't bother me but alone, it is triggering my agitation response to sensory overload.

I did my taxes on Turbo Tax but didn't file them. They keep the info on file so if, at any time in the future, I want to go back and file, it's all there. Only reason to do this is something like winning the LOTTO. I don't have much income and owe no taxes so don't file. Still, it's one more thing I've gotten out of the way. I'm really tired so will sign off now.

Love to everyone, Mikie
  13. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Darn it - !!! I just almost finished a fairly long post and poof it disappeared. I am royally p----d ! I really want to scream. I was rushing as it is almost time to sit out with DH with our glass of wine.

Glad to see all is well and posting by most. Nice to see JULIE, ROCK, MIKIE and whoever else I might have missed. Went to Line Dancing this morning for the first time in ages, then had to weed this afternoon. Tomorrow I need to finished the other side of the bridge post I didn't do before going away.

Julie - Glad it is getting a little warmer for you even if only in the 50's. It was 70's today and will soon be hot but I will take that to the cold. I wish you got to rest some more with all going on around you. When is the new little one due. Oh my I can't imagine how busy all will be then :)!!!

Hope everyone else is doing well. Will get back when I can, maybe tomorrow evening since the afternoon is singing with our small group.

Hi also to Jole, Dar, Spring Water, Jam, Barry, Joan, Elaine and so many other MIA's.

Love,
    Granni

[/QUOTE]
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Granni, sounds like your usual busy self. Weeding--AACK! I can't do it anymore and, even though I hate to use chemicals, I squirt them with Weed Be Gone or another weed killer. We have mulch but it comes full of weed seeds which sprout once it's spread.

I had to come back here to warn a spammer and answer a message to me so thought I'd drop in to my favorite friends. I hope more of our MIA's can post. I miss everyone when they aren't around.

Love, Mikie
  15. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Mikie - I agree with you but we have so much space for weeds and stuff to grow on. I surely wish that we had the $ that we could have someone else do it. That and painting, especially outside is not my cup of tea either. If I would have forseen in the future when we were looking at this house I would have chosen another with just grass to mow or less, if that is possible.. Gee, what 13-15 years can do your body ):!!

I was going to do some spraying too for the weeds and we do have the weed killer but the stuff I had to do today was easier pulled out. Not even sure of what it is other than green long thingys that sort of stick to your gloves after you pick them out. They come out pretty easily from the ground which was one good thing. We have plenty of real weeds too that I need to get out by spray or pulling. Some of it wouldn't bother me to much but it bothers DH.

I agree with you about missing so many friends when they are not around.

Julie - I hope you get to do a little resting sometime soon. I know that is almost impossible considering all the help needed by Lindsay and her little ones and others, I am to far away to give to much help to others. There is good and bad to both (helping and not).

Spring Water - Hope you are OK and maybe having some annoying blackouts in your area. Miss seeing and hearing from you. Hope you have enough NRG to get through what is needed.

Dar - Hope you are feeling a little better after your flare.

Sun - Thinking of you and your DH. You both have so much on your plates. Hope at least your weather is a little better.

Diane - Also thinking of you and hoping that your stress has gotten at least a little better for you. We are all trying to pass on happy thoughts to you . Hope your weather is behaving itself too or at least trying to. Every little bit hopes I know. Hope that you, Kevin and kitties are all warm , toasty and happy. Talk about a fast year so far already. I can't believe tomorrow is April and Easter will be coming soon.

Better run for now. It is my baby son's 40th b-day today. Doesn't that make me feel OLD :)!! OMG !!

Love to you all,
    Granni :)
  16. sunflowergirl

Mikie: I'm also feeling that "antsy" feeling.....needing something new (perhaps just energy would be nice) and so much is up in the air around here. Any luck with searching for skates? And I suppose all your winter friends will soon be leaving?

Granni: My youngest son turns 39 in another month. Hard to believe! Will you be seeing him for his BD?

Rock: When Gordon gets done with his garage and house perhaps he would like to come here and clean mine out? LOL

Haven't done much lately......that old fatigue is getting me down. I did force myself today to take my new WC painting I bought to Michaels to price frames, etc. and then to Aaron brothers. Michaels won out so I've left it there...it should be done in about 2 weeks. I don't normally buy a painting......actually I've only ever bought greatly reduced ones at estate sales, but I love this artist's work, and before I knew it I said I wanted it. If you're interested do a search for Kevin Davidson, artist, on the internet.

Speaking of paintings at estate sales.....I blew it big time years ago. And I learned a very important lesson to ALWAYS lay your hand on something while thinking about it. I had been standing back looking at a painting over a couch, and a guy/dealer walked in and snatched it right off the wall in front of me. Later that week I was talking to a local dealer and apparently this guy had sold it to another dealer for over $3,500 and was crowing about it. And of course this second dealer probably upped it another $l,000 or more. I had to tell myself it wasn't meant for me.
  17. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Hi Sun - Sorry years ago you didn't get the painting you wanted but glad you did get something this time. No I won't be seeing our son for his Bday, today. However, I did speak to him and also chatted with him on the phone. He is doing great. His wife bought some time on a fishing boat for him and a few friends. Our one SIL who was invited to go was home in pain with sciatica. He will be having an MRI sometime this week. Poor guy ! I understand about sciatica. It is NOT fun and you can be in so much pain with it, been there and done that but I never have had an MRI, just waited it out doing as little as I could get away with and using the heating pad as much as possible.

Hope you get some NRG soon. I really don't have much but force myself to do stuff, especially if I enjoy it. The weeding and painting are not one of them :)!! Hope your DH is getting a little more NRG and positive thinking going on there. Hope your weather is a little warmer than it has been for you both and nice and SUNNY.

Gotta run an say good night to you and all who might be reading. Might not make it back tomorrow but now that the days are pretty out there is SO MUCH TO DO outside as well as inside..

Love to you and all,
    Granni
  18. springwater

springwater Member

hello evrybody

nice to read updates, in a rush here, myself..hv to go out
    in coupla moments..thought id go out, visit a temple hv
    lunch out with this middle brother of mine, he called ysterday
    but i was too busy to see him, now that im oldest in family,
    i feel like i gotta make especial time for each pf my sibs,
    SIL..

my other SIL, (dhs sis ) i met her the other day, went morning
    to MILs and the busy self she is Dhs sis, she had woken her
    family at 4:30 am and taken all to get blessings of a high priest
    at monastery south of town. theyd got back by time i visied at
    9am albeit looking sleepy.

that day was so hot, it was 89 F at nine in morning, oh come
    onnn...weather, give us a break!!! and i found our a/c has
    broken down and needs a new compressor!!! aaargh..at least
    my a/c, filters, the walls, mirror got a good clean coz the
    workmen were coming...im evenmotivated to give my bedroom
    windows facing the street a good washdown with soapy water
    and brush...third degree treatment.

we just got our tv setbox back and i was able to watch some fav
    ourite programs, i am beginning to think there is a plot afoot
    to hv some electrical thing or other out of order, here. they
    showed a real estate kinda docu on new york n manhattan i
    felt such a yearning for those places, loved it so much when
    we visited.

rock - did u like the Borrowers book? it is a fav of mine,
    so much so i asked my daughter to send me the three
    books i didnt hv...and i now hv all of the set..five of them..
    my fav is Borrowers Afield, no surprises there, theyre living
    in the outdoors, in a boot n hidden in greenery, and thats
    fantasy, to live with the wind blowing in my face at all
    times, smelling fresh grass and drinking in fresh air 24 x 7.

mikie - that soul ache and feeling of something missing is
    what led me to Pranic Healing and wanting to do something
    outside of myself..unfortunately, my friend and i joke,
    karmic syndrome kicked in, and i got beset with problems.
    its part of the practise that as our meditations become more
    regular and practise more intense, our past accumulated karma
    which we HAVE to pay off, is accelerated so that what we could
    take lifetimes to negate, can be be paid off sooner in shorter
    times...hoo, never realised the severity of this karmic syndrome,
    however....but i hv to go thru what i hv to go thru...all the time
    praying for Divine intervention and grace.

julie , granni, sun - enjoyed reading yr updates..

wil come back again..after returning,

god bless
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Porchies,

Granni, I loved living in my family home, even by myself for three years after my separation so my DD would have a home to return to between school breaks. I kept it clean and did all the yard work on a big corner lot. I cannot even imagine that now. I was forced to move into a condo and was quite depressed at losing my home. The first weekend I lay at the side of the pool instead of doing yard work, I thought, "Hmmmm! I think I could get used to condo living. Have lived in condos ever since. We have gardeners but they just get weed killer all over everything--our plants, our lawn, etc. I told them to stop spraying for our weeds. I'd rather do it myself. They will be trimming our bushes and I'm dreading that. I already put signs, in Spanish and English, on two hibiscus bushes not to trim them. Right now, we are trying to decide what to do with the metal railings on our bldg. I think the only way to do them right is to use electro-static painting. The machine they use gives the paint a neg. charge and it only sticks to the pos. charged railing. No need to mask or put out drop cloths. It's pretty neat. It also makes metal look like new and last a lot longer than ordinary paint. Expensive though.

Sunflower Girl, I'm so sorry you missed that painting at the sale. I haven't been out to look for skates as I've been exhausted with allergies and then, whatever Herpes-Family virus which rears its ugly head when I get run down. I'm taking my Acyclovir. Thank God for it. My lymph nodes aren't as swollen and my throat is no longer sore. Yes, our Northern friends are starting to leave. One leaves on Sat. The others in a month. Barb doesn't go home until late June until the end of Aug. She prefers it here but wants to be with her kids for a while each year. So, skates are on the back burner until I feel better and take care of some more pressing problems.

Springwater, wow, that's hot! Who would have known how hot it is cradled in the Himalayas. Shows how little we know about other places. Sounds as though you've been busy and dealing with all kinds of problems. I also believe in Karma. I recognize that I've paid off one big Karma debt in this lifetime and, I suppose, these illnesses might be a Karma payment. A psychic once told me that not every challenge is Karma, though. Some are challenges we chose before we came here so we could grow in spirit. I'd say all of us with these illnesses are taking a quantum Karmic leap! I realize that I've not kept up with prayer and meditation as I should be. Perhaps my antsiness is due to my neglect.

Julie, yes you made me look :) Mention cats and I'll look every time. Simon was here again this morning looking all sleepy in my chair. He didn't look as though he wanted to get up. When he came back up the stairs, he stopped and looked inside through the door as though he wonders what goes on in here. Don't think he'll ever be tame but he's a lot less scared around me. Yes, Happy April Fool's Day to everyone. BTW, wonder how AFD got started. Maybe Rock, our resident professor, will know.

Have a condo mtg. this morning. Need to shower first. I forgot some things at the store so will make a Publix run. I'm out of Abbreva. If I have time, I may stop at Home Depot for some mulch and weed spray. Who knows, maybe the spirit will move me and I'll go shopping for skates. I hope everyone has a good day.

Love, Mikie
  20. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Well, we had some rain after all. It is supposed to stop in about an hour. Then I'll
    put out some kibble for the critters. SG, will try and post a pic of Balboa Island.

[​IMG]

There. I hope it stays there too! Balboa island is near the small city of Newport Beach in
    Orange County which is just south of Los Angeles County. Balboa Island was
    originally a sand bar-mud flat. About a century ago the island was created and it
    is now home to lots of rich people. Wikipedia says a 2 bedroom house can cost
    3 million bucks!

SG, I loved the paintings by Kevin Davidson. They remind me of Utrillo's work.

Springwater, yes, I love The Borrowers. I read the original and the "Afield" book
    back in the 50s. Just finished "Afloat". I was surprised to learn that Mary Norton
    also wrote the books that became the Disney movie "Bedknobs and Broomsticks".
    I remember taking my son to see it when he was small. The brothers who
    wrote the music for Mary Poppins did this film too. Angela Lansbury was the star.

Yes, Gordon is making progress on the garage. Once it is cleaned out, he can put
    more stuff in it. Serially. He rents a storage space. Wants to move the stuff that's
    therein to herein. Uff-duh! Well, at least it would save on the rental fee.

Yesterday we hauled stuff outta the storage unit. There was a 3 piece set of soft luggage
    that he bought at a thrift shop on one of our trips a decade or so back. We never
    actually used it. Yesterday he donated it to the nunnery. They were delighted. Said
    most of the women they help have little or no luggage and have to rely on cartons.

Well, Kids, I'm afraid the days when I could address you all individually are just gone.
    My back gets worser and worser. Going back to bed for a while.

Hugs to everydobb; Diane, Soul, and everydobby my failing mind can't think of at
    the moment.

Rock