PORCHLIGHT VOLUME #734 IS NOW CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Wated to start us up with a new Porch before I close the last one. I hope everyone can see this and no one starts a new duplicate post.

Diane, I'm so sorry about Beety' having to have most of her teeth pulled. I know giving her the pain meds is hard but she may do just fine as long as she has them. There is a post to you from Rock. Please let us know how you all are doing.

Julie, thanks for such sweet words. Living in a condo bldg., even a small eight-unit one like ours, means we have to get along. You are the one who goes above and beyond when it comes to being kind and caring of others. I hope you get to feeling better. That is such a sweet pic.

Rock, psychic mediums always say when a loved one, human or animal, comes in a dream like that, they are there in spirit and it isn't just a dream; it's real. I had a beloved cat once whose liver ruptured and we had to take him to the animal ER where he was euthanized. That night, he came to me in a dream and let me pet him; he always had such soft, plush fur. I woke up still able to "feel" his fur on my hand.

Granni, I know you'll have a good time on your trip.

Sun, can't remember what was in your post on the last Porch but I think you were comforting others in your usual kind way.

Yesterday, I forced myself to take a shower and run up to Publix. They were having 25 percent off their store brand laundry products, which are cheap enough as it is. I decided to stock up just a bit. Had a few laughs with one of my favorite cashiers. I had a couple more than 10 items but he said it was OK to go through his fast line. It was early and the store was almost empty. I know how awful it is to stand around bored and waiting for customers. There's only so much busy work one can do.

I came home and cleaned the condo. I didn't get the dusting done but can do that before the door repairmen get here. Or, should I say, Slidermen? After they leave, I'll clean up the lanai. I have to bring in some things out there and move others around.

We are supposed to get isolated rainstorms throughout the week, so I should be able to finish the weeding in the other stairwell atrium. It's the worst area and not one I'm looking forward to doing. I plan on taking pics of that area because the boss of the gardeners is supposed to attend our next Tues. morning mtg. I want him to see all those weeds.

If some of my words are missing letters, it's my keyboard. It gets like this and I don't know why. Seems as though every now and then, I have to completely shut down the computer instead of just putting it to sleep. I hope everyone has a great day.

Love, Mikie
    Love, Mikie
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Active Member

Hi Mikie -- things seem to be slow here.

I saw Rock's post to me. And I posted on that. Some so-so news about Beety, some news I just want to scream about! I hope I haven't brought everybody down. It is what it is. I cried my heart out today. Beety's coming home today -- in a few minutes -- with Kevin. We have bronchitis (even though any rattling cannot be heard through a stethoscope) to deal with, FIRST, before dental issues.

Like I said, longer, more explanatory posts, on Rock's thread to me.

You guys all take care. I'll be popping in and out, as the mood strikes. Luv to y'all.

Hugs, Diane
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Well, I am baaaack !!!! Had a nice trip but took a shower after unpacking and now checking my e-mail. There I so much !!!!

Julie - What cute pictures of Lorraine and Josiah and Oreo- what a cute name. The size of Oreo and his temperament looks and seems good for the kids. Looks like Miss Lorraine is starting to mature. I found my girls just loved their new little sister or brother. Sometimes they might have squeezed a little to hard so you need to be careful. Poor David. Hope he gets to feeling better real soon. From that show it looks a bit like Lorraine is looking also like Keira. Hope things settle down for you so you can star to feel better. Sis surely isn't helping the situation any with Grandpa. Some people are so selfish ):!!

Diane - I am so sorry about Beety and her having Bronchitis and having to get that taken care of before the extraction. I know you are both so worried about her and hope the meds will help Kevin with his b/p and anxiety problem, so you can both work towards getting Beety well... As Julie said try and take everything one day at a time. I know Beety will do great with all the care you both give to her, for her Bronchitis and for her teeth extractions. After that I am sure she will do great on liquids and soft food. Thinking about you, Kevin and Beety and will add you to my prayer list. There seems to be so much happening on the PORCH and in our real life. Just try and concentrate on taking care of her, like you always do, and I know you, Kevin and she will do fine. Sounds like more chases going on in your house trying to find her to give her meds :)!!!

Hi to Spring Water, Mikie, Sun, Rock and everyone else I may have forgotten. I really need to go and start deleting so any of my e-mails and answering any I may have to answer. Bye for tonight. TTYAL.

Love to everyone,
    Granni
  4. springwater

springwater Member

Diane - praying for dear Beety,for a full recovery

And for you and Kevin to be filled with strength and calm..

Rock - i too was sure it was Zippy coming in spirit to check on you n let you know he is doing fine..i cried too soon as i read about him trotting up in the dream wonderfully fit and fine

My back hurt only a little then but i took great care not to put pressure on it..its ok now

Tk u for asking

Granni - welcome back...good to hv u back

Sun - hope you soon get things sorted out..its supposed to get easier with time,

Julie - hmmm...Oreo looks very sassy and spunky..i sure hope he is a good fit..i felt like taking him and romping thru the backyard with him..i love dogs who are always ready to play

Mikie - when i listen to you going about your chores, it gives me a lift to try and tackle my own
  5. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Diane: Bronchitis! It's a good thing the vet caught that because teeth extraction would NOT be a good thing with that going on. With the good meds that are now available, Beety should be quickly on the recovered list. So......are all her teeth absolutely necessary? I know it's hard not to worry about your little fur baby, but.......worry does nothing to help and will only hurt both you and Kevin.

Julie: Love the name of your new fur baby at your house. She looks similiar to out old dog, Katie. How old is she? I used to watch the Dog Whisperer and found that most dogs are totally trainable and she does sound like she'll be good for the family.

Another very full day for me. Realized I didn't have enough death certificates ordered so tomorrow will have to go to AAA for free notary. They have to certify I am who I am. I picked up DHs remains today, I was surprised how much it weighed. The counselor carried "him" to my car and DS brought him in. Need to order the urn and the engraving tomorrow, after I go to the SS office and AAA.

It seems I've done a # on my neck and back again. I knew my body would only last so long until something hit me. So I'm up with a fresh cup of coffee to help hurry up the ibuprofen.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Everydobby,

Not much to tell. Condo is clean and the Sliderman guys did a great job. The door glides just like a new one. At $175 for about a half hour's work, it should glide! Still, they were friendly, efficient and made no mess. I continue to fight whatever has been making me sick. Yesterday, I got up too fast from the sofa and had vertigo for a while. It made me nauseated. It's 4:30 in the morning and the cats are speeding around like little remote operated cars. When they settle down, I'll turn on "Morning Joe" and let it lull me back to sleep.

Diane, I answered under Rock's message to you. You are in my prayers.

Granni, glad you had a good trip.

Julie, Oreo looks like a great family dog and, from what you've written, seems to have the right disposition.

Springwater, believe me, when I do get anything done around here, it's because I force myself to do it. After about three days of vegging, I can't stand it any longer and just start doing something. Just starting something seems to lead to something else, and so on... I still don't feel well but, fortunately, I don't have anything pressing I have to do.

Sun, when my Mom died, I had to order extra death certificates too. Our mortuary took care of everything. I picked out a beautiful wooden box, which looks like a jewelry box, and when Mom's cremains came back, the mortuary put them in the box for me. All I had to do was pick them up. The box sits on my dresser. When I'm gone, it will be up to the kids to do whatever they want with us both. Mom has a plot next to her first husband in her hometown and I think the kids plan to bury her ashes there. I told them to scatter mine someplace nice, like the beach.

If I don't start feeling better, they may be scattering them sooner than I thought. Whine, whine, whine! I hope everyone feels better than I do.

Love, Mikie
  7. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Just woke up. Gave the B & W kitty some food. Back in the 70s I used to have B & W
    cat named Oreo. Named for its appearance as is your new dog, I'm guessing, Julie. I've
    read a couple books about herding dogs. They have have a reputation for being very smart.
    You can see herding contests on Youtube. The farmers can give commands to their dog
    from football fields away with arm signals.

Julie, did anyone talk to you about the possibility of nipping? The dogs' repertoire of
    techniques includes nipping the heels of cattle or sheep. I have no idea if this is a
    problem when the dog is a pet. Anyhoo, you sure have been posting some great pix lately.
    The one of Lorraine and Josiah looks like a painting by an old master.

Mikie, glad to hear the gliding procedure went well. Did you play The Skaters' Waltz
    to set the proper mood? Saw a sign on a humor site. Said something like: Johnson's
    Sheet Metal. Our sheet metal is 100% organic and guaranteed gluten free.

Sun, I hope the back/neck problems are temporary. I've read that human cremains
    weigh around 5 to 9 pounds. My friend (the one with the banged up biker husband)
    has her parents ashes in her living room. They are in beautiful boxes with pictures
    of her parents when they were middle aged.

Springwater, glad you're reporting your back is better. Mine is OK if I spend most
    of the day lying down. But that's generally not too practical, and gets boring after a
    while. I do get a lot of reading done though.

Diane, I hope your two loved ones are better soon. Would Kevin think it was
    funny if you told him the vet called? They are having a special. Will remove
    two of his teeth for half price when they do Beety's.

Granni, glad to hear your trip went well. I have never been to a Presidential library.
    Any surprises? Many visitors? Our national library system only includes 13 Presidents.
    I looked on line to see what the cost is. Couldn't find out. It's probably like most
    government expenditures. So huge nobody really knows anyway.

Good to be home again, huh? My grandmother always said, "Good to go, and
    good to get home."

You guys see the article in the news yesterday about the cost of funerals and burial
    plots? I think cremation is sensible, but Gordon says you have to have a place to
    visit. He and his siblings visits their parent's graves twice a year. I figure it's his
    problem. When I'm gone I won't know or care.

Oh, I found the other joke I wanted to pass along. This is allegedly a memo from
    the manager to a new employee at Wal*Mart's deli section. "Shane, Stop selling
    extended warranties on the chicken nuggets."

Hugs
    Rock

8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

HI there, So sorry it is so late. I have to go and start dinner. However, I have been trying to read up o the posts. Will be having hamburgers but DH also wants mushrooms. So, now I have to go and get them ready along withal the other stuff.

Thinking of everyone. Sorry I cannot speak to everyone individually !! JULIE - It sounds lke OREO will be a pretty good match for your family. I know puppies like to jump up. My DD's we went to visit last month did the same thing. I have the claw marks on my legs to prove it. . Trying to keep him from doing that . He kept doing it to me all the time :)!! We were new and so he wanted to sniff and probably to play. They are tryng to keep him from doing that also.

Love to awl. Gotta run !!

Love,
    Granni
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  9. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Gordon and I had the following dialogue yesterday morning.
    G: You're disturbing me.
    R: What?
    G: You're reading too loud.

A couple hours later he asked me to come help him with the tomato plants.
    I went outside and said, "You're disturbing me. You're weeding too loud."

That's the kind of snappy chit chat we have at the ranch.

And for further hilarity, I found this on a site that sells T shirts. "I don't need
    Google. My wife knows everything."

Mikie, are you sure you're not pushing yourself to do too much? Seems like
    a lotta folks here do that. What do you mean "put your computer to sleep".
    Are you going to have it euthanized? With regard to scattering ashes, Lee
    Hayes of the Weavers folk group had his ashes scattered in his compost pile.
    He said they would nourish the roses.

Country western singer Faron Young's ashes were scattered on a lake
    adjacent to the home of Johnny and June Cash. (BTW, many local
    governments have laws about this sort of thing.)

Diane, come back and give us an update when you feel up to it. Victor Borge
    commenting on the English language, said "Many people do not feel up to
    sitting down." He also said that after a burglary in a hotel, the police asked
    him, "Did you find anything missing?"

Granni, I hope your scratches from DD's puppy are minor and all healed up.
    When I was a law clerk, we had a trial regarding a large dog that knocked down
    an old lady. Our young attorney won the case by showing that this was not
    an attack. It was a happy greeting to an old friend who was visiting the dog's
    owner. (The insurance company paid the medical bills under a different
    provision of the policy.)

Anyhoo, the brilliant and handsome (but arrogant) young attorney was found
    dead in his bed a year latter. Street drugs. It's not just celebs and athletes that
    throw it all away for no good reason.

Julie, we used to get toys at the thrift shop for our dogs. They loved to chase
    small plush toys and bring them back. But we wouldn't let them chew on them.
    Mighta ingested some bad stuff we figured. Are you making biscuits or
    shortbread to go with the strawberries?

Springwater, how many dogs do you have now? My former secretary used
    to have four. She's down to three at the moment. She has the ashes of a
    golden cocker in her living room. Any dog lucky enough to be part of her
    household was treated like royalty. Are you still having lots of rain?

Hugs to everydobby
    Rock
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Rock, you are in good spirits today! Instead of the Skaters Waltz, I think they were playing something by The Doors! Love to read all your humor. Humor is what gets us through life. Sometimes, it's the only thing getting us through it. I usually choose "sleep" when I shut down my computer unless I'm not going to be using it for a while; then, I choose "hibernate." If I know Microsoft has a new update, I choose "restart." Life is full of "Hard Choices," just ask Hillary.

Julie, sounds to me as though Oreo is the one. I'm so glad you found a good fit for your family. I love dogs and cats both but I don't have the NRG to take a dog for walks here in the hood. When I had a house, we had a fenced yard and a dog door for our dogs. We got a rescue cat and he watched the dogs go in and out and he decided to use the door too.

Granni, there you go again, making my mouth water when you talk about shrooms. I love them on burgers. I don't make anything with ground beef at home but I do eat medium well done burgers when I eat out. Give me some cheese, bacon and shrooms on them and I'm in heaven.

Yesterday, I decided to go to the other end of the bldg. and do some pruning and weeding. The sprinklers had run and everything was soaking wet. I came back in and spent one more day vegging. It's not that there aren't things to do in here but they are low priority and I've vowed not to do them until the outside is done.

Tweety was sooooo sweet yesterday morning. Before the sun came up, I curled up on the sofa after the cats were fed and took a nap. Tweety wanted me to get up and play with her and pet her when I woke up but before I got up. She stood up on her hind legs and reached out gently with her paw and touched my cheek. It was so tender and sweet that it almost brought tears to my eyes. When they were kittens living outside, Sylvester would be aloof but Tweety would come to have everyone rub her belly and pet her. She's used to lots of petting and love. To ask for love from me in such an amazing way was almost spiritual. I believe that animals are spiritual beings here to help us if we recognize that and let them.

Right now, Tweety is lazing on the little glass top table on the lanai just taking in the beautiful morning dawning over our little pond. It's so peaceful. She's lying next to the pink flamingo plant with a big leaf hanging over her head. I wish I could let them out but the plants I keep on the lanai are the next best thing. When I cleaned out there, my philodendron had some kind of tiny white bugs on it--probably aphids. I took it downstairs to spray it before my other plants got infected. No blooms on my orchids right now. Maybe today I can get some pruning and weeding down at the other end of the bldg. I also have to cut off a low limb of the Plumeria. All I have to do is find a good spot for it and stick it in the ground. They look so exotic but are the easiest plants to grow.

Hope y'all have a great Fri.

Love, Mikie
  11. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Good morning to awl !!!

Slept in a little late this morning, a bit after 8 a.m. However, I am lazy and just got dressed and ate my cereal. Will be having lunch with 2 friends this afternoon. Look forwards to doing so. We haven't done it in some time. I really can't stay on to long as I need to go start some wash and figure out what to take out of the freezer for dinner. That is almost as big of a chore as cooking it:)!!

I really need to go and start some washes. Stuff is over flowing in the laundry basket.

Julie - I think getting Oreo his own bed and toys was a great idea. Hopefully he will too and want to stay with you on the bed :)!! Sounds like you are doing a little better with all you are doing. Thanks for your posts letting us know what is going on in your house and family. Hope things settle down soon and hope all are getting better from whatever was ailing them including David. Hope no little ones catch David's bug. Is he doing better??? TRY and rest even just a bit so you don't get feeling really bad again.

Diane - Thinking about you ALL and hoping things are getting better for everyone, little by little. Hope Beety;s bronchitis is doing better and then on to the extractions which hopefully will go well for her. Hope Kevin's new meds are also helping him to cope with Beety's problems too. Hugs to you my dear friend.

Mikie - I love reading about your kitties and how they are dong. Tweety sounds so sweet, probably Sylvester too in his own way :)!! Hope you will take it easy for a bit too:!!

Rock - So nice to read your chatty post today. I love your supposed CHATS with Gordon :)!!

Maybe I will be back later. Right now I have gotten nothing done, short of writing this and changing clothes ):!!

Thinking of ALL my dear Porchies !!!

Love,
    Granni
  12. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Active Member

HI Everybody,

I've been reading, and I want to thank you all for your concerns and good wishes for Beety, and for Kevin and me too. Thank you!!

Julie, I love the pic of OREO (what a great name)! Sounds like a great fit with your family. :)

I'm having trouble, yet again, about remembering what I've read. So I'm not up to reply to each of you, individually. I will give y'all an update on us.

Kevin's handling his anxiety OK. He took a .25 mg Xanax and cut it into 4 pieces. He's been taking one piece (1/16 mg?) in the mornings, and it lasts him until midnight. So that's good! He got 10 tablets, with 1 refill. And he sees his primary care doc on Friday for a checkup. I have my Klonopin, and dole it out as necessary (up to 3 per day). So, the "humans" are doing well. :)

Beety is being skittish since she got home from the vet/animal hospital. I guess that would be normal, to be skittish.

When Beety was under anesthesia, the vet heard "crackling" sounds in the chest. That could have been fluid build-up around the heart, so they stopped the anesthesia immediately. They gave her a diuretic, just in case. Then took a chest xray. Sent the xray to a specialist, who agreed that it is bronchitis.

From the tube inserted into Beety, some fluid was taken to be cultured. To "make sure" what's going on. And what ABX would work the best. We will get the results, on or before Wednesday.

Her "bronchitis" has to clear up, before she can have her teeth extracted. And yes, her teeth need to be extracted, because of the autoimmune disease.

So we wait. The vet said that Beety's gums are painful, so we have more pain med. And an ABX.

We had some "excitement" yesterday morning. Faithy decided that she didn't like/know Beety any more. So Faithy went after Beety. Claws out, hissing, wanting to bite and scratch. Oh dear.

This morning was less "excitement", although Faithy did try to be aggressive again. But Faithy was less aggressive this morning.

I don't think that Faithy likes the "smell" of Beety back home from the animal hospital. And this time, Beety's ABX is flavored to taste like BUBBLE GUM! Duh! Bubble Gum???

And we can't forget about Rosie, who needs her broth and Miralax and Petromalt, for her constipation issues.

It's been a circus. I don't know if I pinched a nerve or pulled a muscle in my left shoulder. But it goes PING! And OUCH. But not constantly. It's a pain in the "you know what" trying to catch Beety, post-hospital stay. She has to get her meds and then eat shortly after that, or else she gets boo-boo tummy.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers, my friends. I'm so tired and worn out right now. I feel like a "downer" -- that's why I haven't posted. I don't have a single LOL in me.

I did want to ask y'all -- do y'all get any hornets/wasps/yellow jacket nests in your yards?? Specifically in your lawn, in the ground?? Harold (our lawn mowing guy) said yesterday that he will not mow a certain patch of grass until the "bees" are gone. Kevin looked this morning and said that they were yellow jackets. We had this happen about 5 years ago. We found the two ends of their "tunnel", sprayed them with killer, and blocked both with tarp and bricks. They died. We were gonna leave them alone, but they started getting aggressive. Harold got stung last week, and this week he riled them up with the mower, so we have to get rid of this new nest. Anybody go through this? Any better ideas?

Thanks y'all for listening for me. That's what's been going on around here.

I keep y'all in my thoughts and prayers. And y'all take care!

Love, Diane
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  13. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Diane: Years ago there was a small rolled up rug on the side patio so my DH decided to cut it up and toss it in the trash. All of a sudden he took off running, yelling for me to get into the house. Yellowjackets had a hive in it.....OMG.....if we had know that could happen the rug would have been gone pronto. DH got 3 stings, and one got inside the house which we got right away. Funny thing......last night I had a dream I had gotten stung by a bee, held up my finger to someone nearby saying.....the stinger is still in but there's no pain. Then this morning I read your post.

We also got a bee hive made inside a large jug I had in the garden for ornamental purposes. There was a small hole and when I found it the hive was starting to "grow" on the outside too. We had to pay for a bee exterminator to come.

Mikie: how sweet about Tweety gently touching your face. And how are your shoulders doing?

Julie: Grandma is definitely the one she prefers since you were the rescuer. Until she's secure in her new home thats probably the way she'll be.

Rock: Love your humor! Of course Gordon could have said you're breathing too loud! LOL Do you read outloud or was he being facitious?

Well, I knew depression would set in sooner or later. Most of my important paperwork and running around has been done, and my son leaves on monday morning. I'm feeling sad already that I'll be alone. We were discussing my getting a dog. Not sure yet.......maybe in a month I will feel more settled.

I spent almost 2 hrs. at the SS office, trying to straighten out a snaffu.......they zapped my DHs SS check....which he was due for the month of June. Got in to see a supervisor and he just sat there shaking his head at the stupidity of the last person online from SS who did that. Then the woman I talked to on monday also could have fixed the problem without me going in.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  14. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Julie - Such cute pics of both Oreo and Josiah. Is that the right size bed for Oreo? It looks like if he grows any more there will not be much room left for him to move. I know sort of curl up in their beds but there doesn't seem like much rom for him. Will he grow any more? Hope you get a shower and et to relax a bit.

Josiah is such a cute baby but of course all or most babies are :)! In some way or another. I just wish I could hug and snuggle with him. I just loved it when my babies were tiny !!!

How are the twins taking to Josiah?? Any jealousy yet?? Are they wanting to hug or hold him? Of course any holding wit them would have to be with lots of help fro grownups..

Sun - So sorry to her that the SS is giving you a bit of hard time in getting DH;s stuff straight. Just what you need, more stress ):!! NOT !! I can't imagine that when it is all over with and you are by yourself that is the worst time, especially at night time. Lots of hugs to you too !

Diane - Hoping things are going well enough for you and all. You are not bringing us down and do understand how you must be feeling with these fur babies of yours. You and Kevin are great parents to your dear kitties. Those kitties are very lucky to have you both. Please feel free to post any venting when you are feeling up to it.

Love to everydobby,
    Granni
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Diane, so sorry for all the problems with the cats. You guys are really good kitty parents. Yes, I suspect it is either the smell from the vet's office or the meds changing Beety's body odor which caused Faithy to react. Cats are such strange little critters. BTW, my AV makes my pee and sweat smell strange. I know, I know--TMI, but if it can happen to a human, I'm sure it can happen to a kitty. Bubble gum? Good luck to you all. BTW, that's how my shoulder pain started. Try to rest the shoulder as much as you can and take anti-inflammatories if you can tolerate them. Ibuprophen is best for inflammation. I am also taking the tart cherry capsules I got here at PH. If it is impingement with tendons and/or muscles rubbing on bone, it usually clears up by itself if rested. Ice and heat can help too. I put my Icy Hot TENS unit on my shoulder when it hurts.

Hi, Granni, I know what you mean about going to the freezer and just standing there trying to decide. With my AV, my appetite is off kilter and nothing looks good nor worth cooking. Yes, Tweety can be so gentle and sweet. If Sylvester is upset, she comes running and licks his face to soothe him. He is very sweet too. He has the cutest face and loves to snuggle next to me on the bed. Julie calls him a "lover boy."

Julie, thanks for the new pics. Josiah is really adorable. I laughed when I saw that Oreo has a bed to match his coat. What a stylish little dog! Yes, the lanai is the only connection the cats now have with plants and it overlooks the pond where they can watch the ducks and other birds which come by. This time of year, we don't have too many large birds but in the wintertime, we have huge birds which come to fish in our pond. There are two scrub pine trees just outside the lanai and the cats can watch the squirrels run around like crazy critters.

Sun, sorry for the SNAFU with SS. Glad you got it straightened out. Shoulders are still painful off and on but nothing like they were. My guess is that the pain will depend on how much I rest them. Depression is a stage of grieving. If it lingers, it might help to see a grief therapist. I don't like support groups because there is always someone who is so obsessed with her own problems that she takes up everyone's time. It takes a good moderator to keep a group moving along so that everyone can share if he or she wants to. Also, not everyone wants to air her problems with strangers. A good therapist is worth his or her weight in gold. Sometimes, churches have someone who helps those who have lost a loved one. I think it takes a good year just to get one's bearings following a death. It's a life-changing event and nothing is ever the same again. People talk about "getting over it" and "closure." I don't think there are any such things. I do believe that the pain gets less raw with time and that we can create new lives for ourselves but it takes some time. I pray you will find comfort in something. Try something which used to bring you pleasure, like your painting, if you feel like it. Getting out in nature helps too. My prayers are with you.

When I was only three, my Mom opened our kitchen window. I went over and put my hands on the sill to look out. Yellow jackets had started to build a nest inside the screen and three of them stung me at the same time. It traumatized me so much that, for years, if I saw a bee or hornet, I'd freak out. We have large red mud dobber wasps down here but they are not aggressive and leave us alone. The worst part is getting rid of their mud homes when they desert them. They are like cement! Every now and then, someone gets stung by bees which have been Africanized and become aggressive in this area. We have any bee hives removed before that can happen. There are a lot of bee keepers just outside of town. I keep thinking I'll go out and buy some local honey but haven't. There is even a Bee Road.

I'm still feeling lousy. This time, when the virus reactivated, it really knocked me for a loop. I'm sure it's because of all the trauma and pain to this old bod. I did get to sleep til 4:00 this morning. I think it helps if I leave the vertical blinds to the lanai open a bit so the cats can see there is nothing going on inside. This morning, they have been racing around, one chasing the other and then changing and the chaser becoming the chasee. Tweety has more NRG and is still walking around, going out on the lanai to enjoy the morning air. Sylvester is passed out on top of my loveseat. He likes to sleep on his back and it's so funny to see.

I have to shower and go to Target to pick up some Rx's. Think I'll go across the street and pick up a couple of new dishes for the cats at B B & B. Perhaps if I put some food, and not just water, out on the lanai, the cats won't he so anxious to come in. My fear is that they will fling the dish around and spill the food. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Publix has some good sales so I should stop as I'm out of anything I'd want to eat. Well, that's about if for my exciting life. Hope everyone is doing well (or better).

Love, Mikie
  16. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Today is Chiro Day. Did you know that old chiropractors never die? They simply
    adjust to circumstances. OK, not very funny, but it's the only chiro joke I could
    find on the net. But I did find a wonderful story about a chiropractic Beauty Contest
    in 1956. The winners are pictured standing in front of their spinal X rays. And
    they look so young and healthy and friendly. And normal. Nothing bizarre about
    these gals unlike today's etc...

Mikie, loved your Doors pun. I've heard of them, but never actually heard them. I
    gather from their name that they played music from the big band era. Isn't that
    when swing music was popular? Your suggestion of a burger with bacon, cheese
    and shrooms sounds positively davoon as my neighbor used to say. Must be 20
    years or so since I had a burger.

Hey! We have plumeria here too. We have a tree in the front yard. And a 5
    foot plant in a bucket in back. It has lots of yellow and white flowers. I believe
    the plural of plumeria is frangipani.

Granni, shame on you! You told a big lie. "I am lazy." Might as well say Wonder
    Woman is housebound. BTW, the conversations with Gordon are from actual
    transcripts and have been certified by the Governmental Institution of This, That
    and The Other Thing in Washington DC. Cross my hear and hope to die. Eat
    a banana and holler "Hi". (That's a quote from an old radio show that was popular
    in the 30s and 40s.)

Well, I have to get ready to visit the Doc and do errands. Will be back later if
    ...Oopps! Gordon is hollering, "Time to get ready."

Hugs
    Rock
  17. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi all,

Thanks for all the condolences regarding my Pye Pye. Oh, I forget who asked, but Pywacket's name was taken from Bell Book and Candle. He was a big cat, the name just seemed to fit him. He was my "familiar".

Julie, I hope you are feeling better. You have soooooo much on your plate. Slow down and live!!! Hope things start looking up for you and your whole family. Baby is soooooooo cute!

Rock, your humor never fails to "fracture" me and always brightens my day!

Speaking of "fracture", here's a joke for you:

There was a man who had a severely broken foot. A bone from a dog's leg was used to mend it. One day the man was out walking and met his doctor along the way. The doctor asked him, "How are you getting along with that leg?" The man replied, "Just fine, though I have a hard time keeping it down when I pass a tree."

Granni, Sun, Windy, Diane, Barry, Mikie, Spring and anyone else I may have missed, Hope everyone's weekend is sunny and cheerful.
  18. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Rock - That is funny about Gordon hollering for you to be ready.. DH is always hollering for me to get or be ready:)!!!
    Your body may not be running at full speed but your minds seems to be when you are on the Porch !! Hope your chiro or doc apt went well. Sounds like you both keep each other going - you and Gordon :)!!!

Julie - I am being lazy even if I did do load of wash. I should be doing some other stuff but here I sit by the computer :)!! That was funny about Liora and Isaiah. My little girls wanted to nurture and and hold the new babies but DS was to busy with other things, like playing with his cars and stuff. OH, how are the twins with the potty training ?? The girls were pretty good but DS was also to lazy for that. He didn't care till he was 3 yrs old and I had to force him into it :)!! He didn't care if he was wet or dirty that much. . Sounds like you have been a busy beaver again even if you don't think so, running here and there. Nice that Grandpa Denzyl got to visit some with David's folks before they went home. You also should get a break every once in awhile NOT to cook.

Mikie - It is fun listening to you describe Sylvester and Tweety's personalities. They sounds so funny ! Hope you are feeling a little better anyway, pain wise. I don't care if some of your posts are like W and P I still love toad them :)!!

I made a 4 bean salad this morning to bring to my choir party at one of the gals house. I was easy since I chopped the veggies last night and made the marinade. So, this morning I put it together with cans of veggies and beans. It should be interesting and fun even though DH doesn't particularly want to go but at least he is going for a few hours.. I think he I afraid he will miss his football game. I think the gal who is having the party has a lake house or it is close to the lake. This is supposed to be a welcome party and his family with 4 young children. Reminds me of our family and Lindsey's too for the new choir director. He has spoken with me and sent me an e-mail. He hopes I can come to a few practices or as many as I can but he seems to understand. So, we will see how it all works out. It is the special practices or whatever is needed and new pieces I may not know.

Dar - I see you were posting when I was. Hope you are dong better. I was the one, I think who asked about the name Pyewackett. That was so cute and unusual. I also liked the joke you just told about the dog. Hope you can visit us more often as you feel better.

Diane - Hope things are going better for you too and Kevin along with Beety of course. Thinking of you all and praying all will be well soon after a successful surgery for Beety.

Well, I need to go for now. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Love to all, inc those not mentioned ,
    Granni :)
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  19. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Yesterday seemed like a short day as I spent most of it asleep. The chiro and market
    in the morning. In the afternoon we went to a library branch we seldom visit. Asked
    the gal who was checking books in and out where to find the humor section. She didn't
    know. Asked the official reference librarian. She was no help either.

Then came home and I slept for several hours. I did get a Neil Simon play at the library.
    One I never heard of before titled "The Good Doctor". It is so bad it's hard to believe
    America's most popular playwright actually wrote it. Had a good cast though including
    Christopher Plummer (the Baron Von Trapp). Also in the cast was Marsha Mason who
    married the playwright. (Christopher Plummer was already married.)

Dar. we got a catalog from Daedalus a couple days ago. I wanted to tell you about a
    book on dealing with the loss of a pet, but now I can't find it. Well, I can find the
    catalog, but no mention of the book. Went to the Daedalus website. Their search
    engine gave me over 6000 hits so that was no more help than the LA library staff..
    But their are lots of books that show up on the the computer search engine should
    you care to look. Thanks for the joke. Would that be a shaggy dog story?

Julie, glad to hear David is better. We never grew strawberries at our house, but
    we did have rhubarb in the garden. Mom made wonderful pies and sauce.

Diane, Beety's medicine is bubble gum flavored?! Reminds me of Bazooka bubble
    gum from my yute and some trivia I read a couple years ago. Bazooka is the
    best selling gum is Israel. The manufacturer has discontinued the little comic strip.
    Time Marches On. Hope the folks and the cats at your place are all doing a
    little better.

Springwater, do you do lots of upping and downing of all your steps? Is the
    exercise good for you or is it wearing you out? We have 18 steps in our 2 story
    house and I make lots of extra trips cause I forget stuff.

Hugs to all my friends
    Rock
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Morning, Porchies,

Dar, it was I who asked about Pyewackett's name. I have watched that movie soooo many times. The cat steals the show and was vital to the story. I hope you are feeling more comforted from all the love here. We've all been through losing a beloved pet and know how hard it is. I also hope you are feeling physically better. It's no fun feeling lousy! Thanks for the joke; loved it!

Rock, these are newer doors and came after the swing era. Wish I had a fun pun but the only word I've ever heard these doors called is, sliders. You'll just have to let my faux pas slide (I've been away from my French so long I'm not even sure I spelled that correctly). In the hood, the only time we recognize when we go somewhere is one we got from "Everybody Loves Raymond." It's AIS which stands for, ass in seat. If yours isn't in the seat at the stated time, you ain't goin'. It works amazingly well. If you tell people you're leaving at 11:30, there will always be a slow poke who shows up 10 minutes late. If they know the car is actually leaving at 11:30, they show up on time. BTW, Barb, who loves to argue, said that Plumaria and Frangipangi were two distinctly different plants. Of course, I looked it up. Both are correct names for the same plant. There are different varieties of bloom shapes and colors but all are basically the same plant. We have mostly white but we have one new pink one. In Hawaii, they use the blooms for leis. I got leid in Hawaii, right off the plane!

Geez, Granni, you are a fireball. Wish I had your NRG or determination, or both. I know from your posts that you eat healthy food and I'm sure that helps. Also, all that socializing helps keep you young. Then, there is the exercising. I think you should be the poster woman for aging gracefully and well.

Everydoby, don't miss the full Super Moon tonight when it rises. It is closest to Earth in its orbit and will appear much brighter and larger than usual. Being a Cancer, I may have to go out and bay at the moon.

I did make my appointed stops yesterday. Target had a $5 off coupon for spending $20 on health-related items so I got a packet of pads for my TENS unit and two bottles of chewable vitamin C, things I'll eventually need anyway. Might as well save 25 percent plus another 5 percent for using their card. Target donates a huge amt. of their revenues to various charitable orgs. Education is one of the largest areas to which they donate. I love a company which does well and does good. All my Rx's used to come due at the same time but since I switched to BC/BS, they all got messed up, some only a few days apart. Oh well, it's a good thing I never get tired of going to Target.

Bed Bath & Beyond has the best little aluminum pet bowls in various sizes. They come in dark brown or copper color with paw prints around them. They have little rubber rings around the bottom to help keep them in place. I have the dark ones so decided to get the copper colored with dark brown paw prints. They look lovely on the little place mat with paw prints. I keep the area where they eat clean and attractive. I doubt that they care but I do. Speaking of which, a little tiger striped kitten, not much larger than T & S when we found them, was on the steps behind Simon while he ate. It saw me look out and ducked behind the step. I don't know whether it had a chance to eat or not. I hope it did.

Not long ago, there was a miniature version of Sylvester on the landing with Simon but it ran away when it saw me look. I fear this hood is becoming a dumping ground for cats people don't want or that the feral population is growing back along where a small ditch carries off excess water into the storm drain system. It's a swale and is designed to send water is specific directions. There was a third kitten with S & T when they were found but it ran off and no one saw it again. We have a lot of predators which makes it dangerous for kittens on their own. Perhaps that's why they trail Simon. He doesn't seem to mind. I wish all these kitties had the love and care S & T have. I've already cleaned out their boxes this morning, brushed and combed them, cleaned Tweety's eyes and put a new collar on her, a nice bright red one.

Another "W&P" post. Oh well, y'all, read what you want and ignore the rest. My life is so exciting--NOT!!!--that about all I have to write about is the cats.

Love, Mikie