Porchlight Volume # 748 CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by springwater, Sep 23, 2014.

1. springwater

springwater Active Member

I came back to log in and look at Suns painting and found our Porch had 35 posts
    so thought to start a new one.

your painting is dreamy! Sun. Loved the clouds, the whole colour scheme. And yes, as
    Julie said, lifelike. you are truly talented..

Julie - poor Lindsey, with kids you never know when it is going to be a tough day
    Glad you could help her out.

Granni - what a lot of programs you have ahead of you..a nice exciting time.
    Hope everything goes well.

God Bless

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Thanks for opening a new porch, Springwater. I tried myself, but couldn't do it.
    Took several attempts to sign in and then I couldn't find the "open thread" button.
    Must be my computer since I don't see other reports of problems. Gordon will
    probably have to take it to one of his former coworkers who is fairly good at getting
    things back into shape. We go see him a couple times a year. Well, we used to.
    It's an 80 mile round trip. Too far for my back now.

I have a suggestion for a new game we can play. Try to figure out what my
    posts mean. Between the recalcitrant computer and my failing mind, it is
    often a mystery. Proofreading helps, but doesn't solve the problem.

Springwater, here are some sketches by Walter Plunkett who did the costumes for
    GWTW. He went to college in Calif. Soon as he was graduated he went to
    Broadway. Did some acting and moved into designing sets and clothes. He
    was handsome as a movie star. Preferred to design for historical pictures. Said
    the directors didn't know anything about period clothes so they didn't argue with
    him. Here are a couple of his sketches you will probably recognize.

If Walter were still with us, I'd write and ask him if he learned about design from
    a book titled "How to Play the Banjo". You know. You just plunk it.

Julie, are you using calamine lotion or hydrocortisone creme? I read those
    were the standard meds, but maybe you have something newer and better.
    Apparently the rash goes away in a week or two; usually.

It's weird no one like Ogden Nash
    Had much to say about this rash.

Sunflower, your latest painting is wonderful. Very serene. Did you use a
    brush this time? How long does this creative process take?

Hugs to all: Joan, Granni, Diane, Barry, Mikie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Wow, how did we get to so many posts on our last Porch? I'm not sure I can remember all the posts on it.

Springwater, thanks for opening up a new one. Do you have affordable spay and neutering clinics there? Even if you just had your female spayed, it would stop the fighting over her. We do have the affordable clinics here because they don't want dogs and cats reproducing. When Jeff was taking care of Sylvester and Tweety, we all chipped in but it was so inexpensive that he had money left over for tick and flea meds, food and treats. Also, they have always worn collars in case anyone saw them, when they lived outside, and thought they were homeless. Tweety was always worming out of her collar. We'd find them all over outside.

Sun, I loved your last painting but I like this one even better. I'm glad you're painting. Being creative is sooooo gratifying and, if you are like me, when I'm painting, time just goes by while I'm focused in the moment and there is no time for stress or worry. Thanks for remembering what I just couldn't get my mind to recall. I've been through so much lately that my brain is plain ole tired.

Rock, yes, it's more important to spend time with friends, laughing and relaxing. Barb is so much better and I'm convinced that it's because she has a friend to go places with who lost his wife and knows what she's been through. I hope he gets his house sold up North so he can move down for good. We could also have a game here trying to figure out whom I'm talking about and whose name I can't recall.

Julie, I hope that poison ivy rash leaves post haste. No fun having an itchy rash. Doesn't seem to be keeping you from your appointed rounds, though. Take it easy as your body is using up NRG to try to heal the rash.

Granni, so glad things finally worked out for DD's house. It will be great having them near.

My DD in CO called me and we talked for about an hour. She's almost done with her BS in nursing. She'll be done by the end of the year. She is an RN and graduated from a nursing school but she wants to get her masters degree so needed to get the undergraduate degree. Her college just started a masters degree program, so she won't have to change schools. She is doing her practicum as a school nurse and is going to try to get a job with the schools so she'd have summers off. She is burned out working with addicts and the mentally ill. Most people do after a while. It's too demanding. She is on the dean's list and was given an application for a scholarship for grad school. I told her to apply to Who's Who In American Colleges and Universities. She should be a shoo in for it. Her MIL and I both got ours when we returned to school to finish our degrees.

My friend, Richard, who lost his wife (I told y'all about this a bit ago) called me yesterday. He was in much better spirits. He is coming down sometime this winter and will stay at my place. It will be so good to see him.

Our so-called gardeners ran their huge standup mower over our rain-saturated lawn out front and it looked like it had been plowed. Then, to make matters worse, the idiot drove the mower over our sidewalks, leaving tire tracks they couldn't get up. Our president came down with the supervisor to show him the mess they had made. They will have to resod our lawn at their expense. Geez, it was 3:00 in the afternoon before I knew it. I sat out on the Balcony with Barb and a friend came by with her sweet little dog. When I came in, I just dropped from fatigue. I had gone down with my recyclables earlier in the day and, when I came back, brought up all the stuff I had bought on sale, like big detergent jugs, big softener jugs, and myriad other things I hadn't brought up yet. Now, maybe, I can clean the back deck of the SUV. I need to load it up with things I'm donating to the church rummage sale where my friends go to church. It feels good to be cleaning things out. Much more needs to be culled before I'm done (or dine in :)

I am getting my teeth cleaned first thing this morning so have to go shower. I am praying I don't need the deep cleaning. As it is, I need full x-rays and my ins. no longer covers dental. Oy! Hope y'all have a good one. No time to proof this so if it doesn't make sense, y'all can make a game out of trying to figure out what I meant.

Love, Mikie
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

DIANE - No time to really post but wanted to tell you thanks for moving my post over. My keyboard is also acting up again ):!!!

Sorry, gotta run !!!

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Just thought I'd pop in again today. Had my teeth cleaned and don't have to have x-rays til next Mar. Woo hoo! Also, good news: I had one 5 gap in the outside gum of one lower molar. It's now a 4. All my work on my teeth and gums paid off. Probably won't need deep cleaning/scraping. AACK!!! :eek: After that, I went to get my kidneys x-rayed so the doc can see my kidney stones. I forgot to remove my TENS unit and the tech kept asking me whether I'd ever had surgery and had something implanted. Well, we laughed when I finally remembered the TENS unit. He said he was beginning to think I'd been abducted by aliens and had something implanted. I'm seeing the urologist next Mon. Hope the stones haven't grown. I have no pain from them.

I stopped at The Dollar Tree before going to Target; they are in the same strip mall. Loooove that place. At Target, I scored big time on cosmetics and Ziplock bags. I needed some mascara and makeup. I had a $5 off $20 spent. I also had the same deal on home goods. I just stocked up on Ziplock bags, used the Target coupon and $3.50 in manufacturer coupons. I ended up spending $53 and saving $21.69. Not bad. I won't have to buy Ziplock bags for a while. I also got the new Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga CD, which was on sale too. I love those old classic songs sung by a duet. I have one with Rod Stewart and Cher.

Julie, I sure hope that poison ivy clears up. Andy went through the phase where he wouldn't stay in bed and go to sleep. Thank God these phases pass. Rest up and give your body a chance to heal.

Diane, I'm so glad Beety is doing so well. Bless her heart and bless you and Kevin for what you've been through.

Granni, stop back in when you can.

I'm gonna crash and watch TV now. All that running around got me tired. I also believe that when we get our teeth cleaned, all those toxins go into our systems and make us sluggish until they are excreted.

Talk with all y'all tomorrow morning.

Love, Mikie
  6. Granniluvsu

This computer is driving me crazy . I had a little bit written and I touched one of the keys and everything went swoosh - gone ):!!! ack :mad:

We sang for the people in the nursing home and they really seemed to enjoy it !! One of the ladies there was signing (SP) to "Standin In the Need of Prayer" . It was so pretty to watch.

MIKIE - Do you do anything special for your gums besides brushing, flossing, and rinsing. Also, what do you rinse with. Wondering if I should get a water pick??I think mine are a bit worse than yours. I have more than one that is a 4. Hope your kidney stones are much less.

JULIE - The IVYREST that I have is the foam wash but I think there may be other IVYREST products. The lotion was the Calamine with Benadryl in it, the Equate brand I think. They had clear and also the pink. Hope your poison ivy goes away soon. That stuff is awful and I am afraid I am going to catch it again, thus my beekeeper outfit with out the mask!!!! Glad it was cooler today and not so hot covered from head to toe.

HI again to Rock, Sun, Diane and anyone else lurking that I may have missed !

I hear today that DD and SIL signed their part of the house deal today. The other people do it Oct. 2nd or so. Anything else DD has to do will be done electronically. I think they start driving some time tomorrow, not sure when.

Love to all of you,
    Granni :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Granni and Julie,

Granni, I use those little brushes you can put between your teeth to remove food particles. They do a better job than flossing. I use them after I eat, especially if I've eaten meat. In the evening, I use the little brushes, use my electric toothbrush (the ones with the round heads which spin do the best job), use my gumline Water Pik, and, finally, I use a tool with a hard rubber tip and rub my gums with it. It stimulates blood flow to the gums and toughens them up. If you have bleeding when you floss, or when the hygienist touches your gums with the instrument, this hard rubber gizmo will really help. I have an old one and haven't seen them much lately. Perhaps your dentist or hygienist will know how you can get one. Mine said the Water Pik does the same thing but it doesn't. I need to use both. Good thing is that I won't eat after going through all this so not bedtime snacks for me. Glad to hear things are moving along with the house. Yea! :)

Julie, still sounds as though you are doing sooooo much. Yes, I did get some bargains. I don't buy things I don't need just because they are on sale. I stow things away. It means spending a bit all at one time, but I save so much, and always have products on hand, that it's worth it in the long run. I've seen those coupon queens with storage shelves taking up all their garage and/or basement space and it creeps me out. They buy more than anyone could ever use. Couponing can become addictive. I do like it when some of them contribute their products to the poor. I use everything I buy, eventually.

I was tired last night and fell asleep during the early TV shows but woke in time to watch "Person of Interest." It's a bit far out. I don't like it as much as I did in the beginning. I missed "Sons of Anarchy" so will have to watch it on On Demand. I'm still pretty exhausted and my back hurts so that I'll likely not go to the pool today. I'll try tomorrow or Fri. My hygienist had on some pretty snazzy sneakers. She got them at a store down the coast in a nice mall. They had her get on the treadmill and taped her walking. Then, she had to stand on a thermal pad which showed where her weight is distributed. I'm thinking that might be a good thing for me to do as the right kind of shoe might help my back. Only problem is that I wear flip flops all the time and wouldn't like to wear sneakers all the time but if it were to help, I'd do it. I wore the original Sketchers when I worked and they made a HUGE difference. Spose I could just wear those. Something to think about.

Hope y'all have a good day.

Love, Mikie
  8. Granniluvsu

Waiting for my ride to come soon for or Ladies Cub meeting. Today we are having a great piano concert by a really wonderful performer, pianist and song or music writer that used to play for our Dinner /Show Time, for our county choral society, coming up the end of this month . His name is Rob Landes and was a prodigy and was playing at age 3. He is also very funny. I think he is also the music director at one of the churches in our area.Will also have a nice lunch. I should be a fun time.

Mikie - Sorry your NRG level has not gotten a lot better. I hope it will be SOON. I also use the little brush picks as well as the flosser attached to a plastic thingy. My mouth is small and a lot of my teeth are very close together. It is hard to floss my teeth.

Julie - Glad your poison ivy seems to be doing better. Hope it continues. You are still lucky to have your Dad and close enough where you could see seem him and help him out if needed. Your weather sounds good so far. Don't know how you can stand that awful below freezing temps. I can't even stand the above freezing temps ):!! Lindsay is so luck to have you to help out. When we moved and I had 5 children I had little help, if at all. At least I had no TWINS !!! When my daughter's twins were little it was hard for her/them and I didn't live close by either.

Gotta run for now. Time for my ride.

Love to awl,
  9. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Mikie: I'm going to buy one of those toothbrushes with a rubber end. I use floss but have seen those brushes. At my age I need to be VERY deligent. So happy to read that Barb has a better attitude. She just may be a person who needs a companion of the opposite sex and that's fine, whatever it comes to.

Julie: I understand your sadness today. Keep busy, that's my motto, and your brain doesn't have time to ruminate on what you've lost. And about Keira....I think most little girls love to talk at school, they just need to know when NOT to. I know that my DGDs teacher had to move her to another table away from her best friend.

Granni: you sure keep busy with all your practices and lunches, etc. Thats great, keep it up.

Rock: I LOVE those pics of costumes. Thanks for posting. Every time I take down old drapes or curtains that will go to a thrift store I think of what I might be able to make out of them. There's a use for everything. Just this morning I was going to toss a strong metal frame patio chair, then decided to cut out the webbing that was tearing. I had a metal shelf from a frig I got rid of......I save what I can......and it fit right on top of the chair framework. It's now holding pots.......I cut off large branches of a african pencil plant and will root them. Last weekend I was at the cutest gardening shop. They had all types of pots, containers, chairs, whatever, planted with various succulents. Now I'm kicking myself for things I've have tossed!!!

Diane: What a darn hassle! I hope you get the RX you need. I totally understand/don't understand this beaurocracy. I'm having such trouble with Verizon! It's been 2 months that my husband passed, and still it's not done. I call them about every 5 days or so and keep getting the same answers. I received a small bill the other day, turns out it was to clear out charges under my husband's name, but they're still working on putting it in my name. There are times I want to cry! And this new bill shows they've deleted the bundling for unlimited long distance charges and indoor wiring......I need this. So I can't call my relatives out of state until it's completed. This all started because I wanted to save a few pennies bundling verizon with direct TV. And this was only because I wanted to keep the sports channel for my SIL when he comes over, which isn't even that often. Color me very flumoxed........is there a color for that Rock?

Thanks for all the compliments on my WC painting. I have a few places that need tweaking, suggested by the teacher yesterday. I'm feeling really tired so know I need a day to do basically nothing, so I'll just paint today.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  10. bct

bct Active Member

Hi All. It's RAINING here, at long last! Not the heavy downpour, but constant light rain.

Rock, Richard is in Oslo
    right now, before jetting off to Schipol airport in der Nederlands. And next week another flight to a village near Bezier in frog-land. I told him to be sure to eat some snails for me. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Diane, sorry about your K or c. I thought that Roche had discontinued Klonopin itself but had passed (read sold) rights to other companies. Doc. Cheney mentions this and recommends
    Teva which is made in Israel. I understand that your problem with the Teva is very frustrating. Call a few more pharmacists, if you can, and drill them for info. :mad:. See if they've had feedback from other clients perhaps??? By the way, how did you cook your petite shrimp? Can cats eat shrimp? Slinky, our cat loves sardines (canned) but I'm afraid they might be too rich --- so she only gets one a can -- and they are the very small sardines that I buy.
    This weather is making me SO drowsy. I'm gonna have a cup of tea. Hey Rock, I"m with you on CocaCola ;I had one the other day --- horrible --- I hadn't had one in years either.

Post before I lose anymore of my post -- grrro_O
    Love to All,

11. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Thank you all, for your addressing my problem. I really appreciate the support!

Barry, I find that interesting that Dr. Cheney recommends the TEVA. I know that Dr. Cheney is well respected. And I recognize the TEVA brand, I've probably had it for other meds.

Something's going on with me and the TEVA (generic klonopin). It's like my body is at "war" with it. For example, I took one last night, around 8:00 p.m. Settled in to watch a couple hours of TV with Kevin. Around 8:30/8:45, I realized that I was feeling anxious, very anxious, almost a panic attack feeling. I got up, started pacing around the house. For no reason at all. I took a second pill a little after 9:00, that helped a bit. Didn't fall asleep until around midnight though. Tossed and turned, got up around 5:00 a.m., with that anxious feeling still with me in the pit of my stomach.

Took another pill at 6:00 a.m. Nothing, nada. No help at all.

It's like I'm taking placebos.

That's the only thing that has changed. Everything has settled down with the kitties. They are all doing great. I get my BP med from my regular supplier. I haven't added/subtracted any supplements. I'm eating the same type of food, mostly gluten-free. But since I now get my generic Klon from CVS, versus Giant Eagle Pharmacy and their supplier ..... Oh boy! What a negative difference.

I'm not over-using, or abusing. Only taking as prescribed. But the TEVA make me feel so BAD, I tend to take less than recommended. Taking the recommended 3 per day makes me feel worse.

That's my dilemma. And I talked to several pharmacists today. They won't talk about other patients/complaints, etc. Just .... "hang in there, hope you can find some help."

Grrrrrrrrrrr. Kevin has decided to take my prescription bottle back to Giant Eagle this weekend (when it's due for a refill). Have the script transferred back to GE. We'll pay the no insurance price of $?. BTW, I have four or five GE pills left, and they work wonders! They even melt under my tongue, which the TEVA doesn't. Immediate relief. And prevention. And maintenance. I'm hoarding them, in case I can't get that supplier anymore.

I know I've rambled on and on about this. I'm just such a wreck! My psych doc gave me the diagnosis of PTSD/panic disorder/anxiety, and I need a med that I can count on.

Y'all are great for reading all my ramblings! I'm probably gonna stay away from the Board, until things stabilize for me.

I didn't cook my shrimp yet, Barry. They are the tiny shrimp, peeled and de-veined. I was thinking about using the wok-type pan, some oil, hot peppers, onions, shrimp, maybe Old Bay or Tabasco. Then serve with rice. And make a 1/2 bag (1/2 pound) plain, steamed, to be eaten cold with cocktail sauce. Don't feel up to it today. The shrimp are in the fridge, still frozen! LOL Tomorrow's another day -- is that from a MOVIE?? :)

You all take care. I had a good cry today. It didn't solve anything. I also had a talk with Kevin, so that helped. We'll work something out.

I'll be around, reading the posts. And I'll be posting again, when things stabilize for me.

Thank you all for your suggestions, encouragement, empathy, etc. I really appreciate it!

Love and hugs to y'all,

Diane :confused:
  12. rockgor

Hi Kids

Barry, tell Richard "Ha en fin tur". That means "Have a nice trip" according to some
    translation site I visited. Of course you could say "Bon Voyage" too since he's visiting
    France. I looked up Bezier. It's not only a town in S. France. It's some kind of
    mathematical term for a curve. Uff-da! As they say in Oslo. Some real Norwegian
    told me at a Sons of Norway meeting, that people say "Uff-da" more in
    Minnesota than in Norway.

Glad you like the Plunkett sketches, Sunflower. Some of them were done with
    great panache, but I could't find any of those that I could copy. Couldn't find
    a book on Walter Plunkett, but I put one on hold about Adrian, who was MGM's
    most famous designer. His last project was the Broadway musical Camelot for
    which he won a Tony.

Diane, sorry all these bookkeeping and other problems keep dragging on. Come
    here and vent (or whine as Mikie says) all you want/need to. It's not
    like we don't have plenty to discharge.

In response to your question regarding "flummoxed", I believe the color would
    be a blend. The purple of a plum and the pink of the phlox.

Julie, I don't think a clothes casserole sounds bizarre. Doesn't one put it in
    the oven and clothes the door? I can't remember how old Liora is. Is she
    making these funny sounds (like the baby, getting "killed") on purpose?
    Does she know what she's doing? Maybe she'll grow up and become an
    impersonator. Then she can be on Youtube with Rich Little, Frank Gorshin, etc.

Gotta go move my car. Hugs, everydobby
  13. Granniluvsu

Hi Everydobby,

Not much time to type and his keyboard isn't cooperating ):!!!!

DIANE - So sorry to hear you still haven't solved your problem with the Special K as MIKIE calls it. It will be interesting to see how much the non insurance price cost is. I know some are ridiculous. Maybe at least that will buy you some more time to find out about getting the other kind of K. Yes it s very frustrating and don't feel badly about having to have a good cry about it all. Please keep us updated about it and don't feel badly about comng and venting to us about it.

Gotta run. Love, Granni :)
  14. rockgor

Hi Kids

Julie, Your post about multitasking displays yet another kawinkydink. Ain't life
    funny! And here's second kawinkydink related to first. Gordon really did "wash
    some bills" yesterday. $21 worth. He was in a hurry and tossed some pants
    in the washer. His billfold was in a pocket. Two of his "cards" had to be replaced.
    (I forget which ones.) The others seem OK.

The bills survived just fine. This illustrates the paper money is really cloth.
    According to the Federal Government, which outta know considering how
    much of it they throw around, our folding money is roughly 75% cotton and
    25% linen plus some synthetic fibers. The exact formula is varied from time
    to time to help foil counterfeiters.

I'm surprised to hear about the older kids' modified behavior. I had heard
    that some extra attention is necessary, but never heard of these specific
    adaptations. What would Sandy and Snoopy say? (Well, we know Sandy
    never says anything but "Arf!").

Mikie, do you think you might have been a personal shopper in another life?
    You're so good at it. I was reading the bio of Mary Astor recently. She
    mentioned staying at some famous hotel which provided a personal shopper.
    It was some gal who'd been doing it for decades.

The first time I ever heard of buying stuff in bulk for the house was when I
    met my in laws. At our house we bought one or two items at time. At
    their house they bought stuff by the case.

They lived in a small house (6 rooms, I think) near Minnehaha Falls in Mpls.
    The closets and hallways were jammed with stacks of stuff.

Granni, how was the Ladies' Lunch? Is this a church group or High Society?
    I sometimes listen to an old radio program from the 30s and 40s. The ladies
    have a "Thimble Club". The activities seem to be chatting and sewing followed
    by a home made dessert with coffee. In my home town the dessert would
    have been some kind of bars about 80% of the time.

Gordon had another orchid meeting. Brought home a spider orchid that's
    in bloom. Nearly 3 feet tall. Spectacular! He also brought home more
    epees (epidendrums) which he has planted in pots.

Bis spater (Deutsche for "See ya later". We used to have a poster who used
    it a lot.)

15. Granniluvsu

Hi Julie, Rock, et al,

Just finished and the moving DD and family are now on the road and anxious to get "back home" as my #4 daughter said about her #2 sister, husband and grown son.. Towards the end of next month they will be going to college HOMECOMING where both of them graduated- SFA or Stephen F Austin university in Nacogdoches , TX. Up in the PINEY WOODS. DD's husband will also go with them even if he graduated from TX A and M- an AGGIE as they call those who graduated from there. The sisters are so happy to be able to go out together . The other sister lives in the Dallas/FT. Worth area so they're about 4 or more hrs away from each other. Thanksgiving will be at DD's new house with me helping out. Another daughter and family usually goes to the Hill Country but this year they said they need a change and so will be here with us all. The one in Ft. Worth usually is here for Thanksgiving. Hope they make the miles they need to go tomorrow. They didn't leave that early today after the movers put everything in the trucks.

Julie - Those little ones know how to get attention. That LIORA sounds hysterical crying like a baby. I wish I could hear her. They all want their attention. They are all so young and they all have their own ways of wanting to get attention and to feel special. Hope your Poison Ivy seems little better. Hope it continues to do so. That stuff can make you feel awful when it is really bad and keeps spreading. Glad you are getting a break a little from work. Yu NEED some of that.

Rock - The Luncheon was very good, food very good and excellent pianist for the program. Talk about talented - unbelieveable. This guy doesn't even need music most of the time. This time men were invited and perhaps that was the reason for the heavier fare for lunch. It was really neat and enjoyable. Had fun but it will be time for work very soon. More clearing out of brush and stuff close to the sides of the deck that needs to be painted. Also will be helping DD for awhile I am sure to try and get her house a bit settled.

Gotta run and take a shower. DH needs the computer he said. Tomorrow is a haircut, wlil wait till closer to the reunion in Oct. for the color:)!!

Thinking of you awl !!

16. springwater

Hi All

Rock - i looked up Walter Plunkett, thought he looked like an older version of
    Rhett butler.

A three foot orchid sounds spectacular. I cant even make one grow here. I think
    the gardener must hv tossed it out in despair, hv had it for years with nary a

bloom.My Chinese friend and her sisters though can make orchids thrive..and they
    are as proud as punch of them..if I go to friends place when its bloom season, she will
    personally take me and recount every detail of the plant, from where she got it, what
    she fed it, how long it took to bloom, the time the bad gardener almost killed it..like a
    proud parent. I enjoy listening to her..its always nice to see passion, i feel like some of
    it may rub off on apathetic ole me. Well, presently Im as enthusiastic as a soiled dish
    rag. Am not always.

I got pickpocketed once, in a crowd going up to the temple..that too, DHs wallet
    which i asked him for and put it into my bag, telling him it was safer than his
    back pocket..i remember opening the bag just once, and when fifteen minutes
    later, the wallet with credit cards, money was gone. Luckily, DH must hv been
    feeling spiritually uplifted, he didnt say I told you so. But he does bring it up
    now and then. He had to cancel his credit cards and then the next day, we get a
    call from the temple area caretaker, saying they found wallet on a pile of garbage.
    Theyre used to finding pickpocketed wallets apparently. We got DHs driving
    license. credit cards intact but DH had already cancelled cards.

Diane - sheesh! I am so sorry to hear about the anxiety coming up. Weird. Since
    your lil fur babies are over with what they needed to get through. I would hv
    thought you'd is causing it..or whatever the issues. Ive had anx attacks and they
    are the pits. Vindaloo is an Indian dish but i havent had it too often. My Chinese
    friend used to make pork vindaloo. Pretty tasty. But i gave up eating pork since
    pranic healing doesnt recommend it and then i gave up eating meat altogether.
    She also made pork trotters which was out of this world.

Sun - Im sorry you are still dealing with the after wards of DHs passing. I wish
    there was an office where one could call and just get all this type of stuff done.
    well, if not for everyone, at least for persons staying on their own. An office
    which is state run and free of cost. Think of all the anxiety and emotional
    turmoil avoided. Huff. Maybe its lifes way of making us stronger.
    Oh. That incident where you got up with the loud sound of 'blue ba' ..how
    strange. And then not so much. I hv heard voices in my head..or outside
    whatever. I would rather keep anything of that sort away. I think anything
    from the spirit world needs to stay that side.

Nowadays the only slightly occult thing i allow myself is to read Angel cards.

That gardening shop you mentioned sounded like a little paradise..All
    types of plants in all sorts of pretty containers...the DH once brought home
    a little white statue of a lady not unlike the Statue of Liberty holding a sword
    to keep in the garden, I didnt know quite know what to do with it, because we
    havent got a very landscaped garden..so put it among some pots in the front
    door space...the last time i looked the tip of the sword had broken off. Dont know
    how..we dont touch that statue and its rough marble so couldnt break just like

Julie - Hmm, is there such a vocation as 'baby whisperer' like there is 'dog,
    horse whisperer'? Sure sounds like Lindsey could use one. Im sure there
    being four of the little ones, one lil ones anxiety rubs off on the other and
    then a chain reaction starts.. the first time we took daughter at the age of
    two to her pre school/nursery. There were so many lil new ones crying
    and wailing DH commented to me he would go crazy if he had to work
    even a day there. of course when theyre all settled in a week or two later,
    its better. I had to take her because i was expecting my son and things
    being the way they were at my MILs,she was always complaining of
    all of us not working 24 hours of the day, catering to her needs, i was
    afraid she would hv another excuse to shout if she had to take care of
    a two year old. She is my DHs step mom. And there isnt any love lost
    between them, really. never really was.

your GDs are so so lucky.

Granni - The piano recital sounds like a great time! Child prodigies
    are so intriguing..my goodness, three! and here i am cant plunk a note
    at 50 plus.

Heres a short very sweet utube of another gifted piano prodigy..he is funny

Mikie - didnt know you had kidney stones. Do they get dissolved or something?
    Ive heard of stones dissolving on their own. never met somebody but heard

Im glad you got your exrays over with.

Your DD is so lucky..those bright prospects at college. A lot of people who
    migrated from here, those who had nursing degrees did so much better.
    Than those with other skills. I mean job wise. I do realise what a toll it
    can take though, working with the sick. Well of course, they need to get
    their degrees all over again since degrees from here are not recognized

You all seem to hv a lot of grey cells between you. You, your daughters MIL,
    and DD.

I hope you regain your former energy and chutzpah soon enough. And that
    I do too.

The DH returned from his trip to India and the upside of his going away
    is that he brings back some lil treat or other. He brought me this
    nice wooly soft grey sweater..and some Punjabi suit material which i wasnt
    too buzzed about.

These days i prefer something i can just throw on and go. These i hv
    the hassle of taking to the tailors. and then ironing n what not. sheesh.

He came back and the next day had to make a day trip out of town..
    and brought back some really good local 'parathas' veggie filled
    tortillas fried in clarified butter. And some pedas. Pedas are a
    indian sweet made of condensed milk, clarified butter, sugar
    pistachioes etc. Theyre solid and can keep for days.

He was looking in the fridge and saying everytime he goes the
    fridge is empty. Well, i like it. It means things are getting eaten
    And the wilted stuff is being thrown away. DH is a hoarder where
    foodstuff is concerned. I did make sure i had fresh cooked curries
    and lentil /meat for his dinner. He likes his home made food.

He had brought this icky looking black sausage back from Bhutan
    (we dont get those here) just factory processed ones..and he
    every now and then forages in the fridge and boils or fries some.
    Im waiting for it to finish. It looks like the droppings of a dinosaur
    or something.

I made a long overdue visit to the MIL yesterday. She wasnt very chatty
    though. Was immersed in this live tv they were broadcasting this
    prayer ceremony being presided over by a high monk from India.

The streets were so crowded in the bazaar where i went to get some
    groceries...people all out in force to buy stuff for the upcoming

I got my mushrooms and fled.

God Bless

17. springwater

Julie - that multitasking lady in the chair is ME! when did you click the pic? :D
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Porchies,

Julie, you are soooo busy and with the cold weather coming, I imagine you feel pressured to may hay while the sun shines, so to speak. As long as you can rest. I do what I can and rest when I need to. It's the only way I can keep going right now when NRG is low. Your family is sooooo lucky to have you.

Barry, my ex used to travel in his job but nowhere nearly as exciting as yours. I went with him to a lot of nice places, though, including Hawaii. His company welcomed and, in fact, encouraged, spouses to accompany their employees. They covered all my expenses too. I am so glad I took advantage of it. When we are young, we believe we will always have options. As I've grown older, I realize that those options can go away and I need to take advantage of them while I can. I don't look back at missed opportunities. Do you ever get to travel with DH?

Granni, I'm glad your luncheon was so nice. How wonderful to have such a great pianist for your entertainment. Just got the schedule for our Gulf Coast Symphony. How disappointing! There was nothing I wanted to hear. They are playing Mahler. He was so brilliant but he only showed his brilliance for a sort time and then dove into depressing intervals. Thank God there are two other symphony orchestras in our area. "The Book of Mormon" is coming and I'd like to see it but Barb is having her bathrooms redone and just had part of her condo painted so she doesn't want to spend much money on shows or the symphony. Perhaps some of my other friends would like to see the show.

Rock, so Gordon is laundering money! I once put my cell phone through the washing machine. I too the battery and all cards out of it and put everything in a bowl of uncooked rick. It dried everything out and the phone worked pretty well afterward. It was about time to get a new one anyway so, no bid deal. I can't imagine using personal shoppers nor decorators. What I wear and how I decorate are so personal that I don't believe anyone else could pick and choose for me. I can't imagine picking and choosing for someone else. I complain about lack of storage but, actually, I have shelves in my closets where I can stow my extra products. I don't buy so much that I'd never use it all but I do stock up when things are on sale. There will always be sales.

Springwater, I'm still laughing at your description of the sausage. AACK!!! Glad you got a nice sweater. We only have a few days in the wintertime when it's cold enough for sweaters or other heavier clothing. When I go to CO in the winter, I love getting to wear my winter clothes. I didn't even know I had kidney stones until they showed up in an ultrasound scan. Doc sent me to have them x-rayed. This is the second x-ray which he can use to compare them to six months ago to see whether they have moved or grown. They are still there but give me no trouble. I hope they just stay the same size and never move. They are about 7mm's, the size of a pearl. They appear, on the x-ray, to be round and not the odd, jagged shapes Dr. Oz showed on TV. I would really feel for any man who passed one of those. Yikes!

Diane, if you have a scrip for the Special K, you can take it to any pharmacy and just pay for it yourself. There are some discount cards on a lot of pharmacy counters you can use. I've used them and they really do save money. You can also shop for the best price. Good luck to you.

Sunflower Girl, good luck to you in getting all this mess straightened out. Almost everyone I know has had to deal with these crazy company bureaucracies where it's next to impossible to get things done. I just got a letter from my mortgage co. that they will be taking the extra principle out of my checking acct., along with the basic payment. Now, we'll see whether they really do. Good luck.

Yesterday, I used what NRG I had to clean out the inside of my SUV. I had so much mess on the back deck, including spilt dirt from hauling plants, that I wanted to clean it up before the carpet was stained. I had a few little stains here and there but had products to clean them up. The drivers floormat was the worst. I cleaned it as best I could but will have to bring it inside when I use my big carpet shampooer. I used Armorall on all the vinyl and it looks so nice. After 12 years, it still looks like a new car. I'm going to try to go to the carwash after the pool this morning. I want to get it clean so I can put my little sticker on the rear window. It is a fish skeleton and reads, "Fillet and Release."

Barb and I are driving to North Fort Myers tomorrow to take Julie to lunch. She's staying at her Mom's and she's not used to being at her place, and around her Mom, 24/7. She needs a change of scenery and some friendly chit chat. My car needs to get out and run farther than just the grocery store or Target so I'm glad to drive. I'll gas it up after I wash it today. I got another $50 gas card for $40 this week so I really don't mind driving. I get about 20 mph around town, and about 25 mph on the road, which isn't bad for an SUV. Since I drive so little, my carbon footprint isn't that big. Think I'll take it in for an oil change next week. I could go til Dec. but am not used to going a year between oil changes, even with the synthetic oil. Or, maybe I'll wait til Oct. or Nov. Seems as though lately that I've had a lot of appts.

Speaking of which, my Medicare Advantage plan is going from no premium to $36 a month next year. Everything is going up. I only get the newspaper on Fri., Sat., and Sun. and it's going up to $22 a month. Think I'll call them and drop my subscription. They will offer me a sweeter deal either then or in a week or so. In the meantime, I'll have to run to the store to pick up the Sun. paper, which I don't want to miss.

Love, Mikie