Porclight Volume 550 is now OPEN !!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Granniluvsu, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Welcome all - some ice cream with all flavors and toppings await you. Who cares about your weight. This stuff has no calories you know :)!!!

Please don;t forget to check out Wildflowers, Spring Water, Joan, Julie, Rock and myself on the last volume. I know there are others too but I can't remember.

So fix yourself a huge bowl of Ice cream with all the toppings and sauces you would like and get ready for this new volume. I wanat a hot fudge sundae with nuts and whipped cream and a cherry on top, vanill aice cream most likely. Haven't had one of those in a very long time.

Hi there Teacher, just remembered you. I'm sorry you are feeling badly with your bronchities. I have had that many times. It is bad when you have to go to work and then you are a music teacher as well -- cough, cough !!!! Can you talk at all, let alone sing??

Hope you all will drop in soon.

Love you all,

LEFTYGG Member

im sitting with mom. shes still hanging on. i dont know how. she doesnt eat only drinks some protein drink and water. one aide told me one patient lived on 1 can of coke a day for 3 months. she seldom opens her eyes.i know shes almost 93 but its hard to watch.

ive been reading posts but forgot everything. sorry, i wonder is there any family that doesnt have some drama going on?

hope everyone is doing as good as possible. love gail
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Today was chiropractor day. It's usually Saturday, but the Doc had
    to go to a funeral in San Diego yesterday. When we walked in he
    complimented me on my colorful outfit. Ha Ha! I was wearing a
    Warner Bros. cartoon T-shirt that I bought for 99 cents at the Goodwill
    about ten years ago.

An acquaintance used to tell me he wanted a shirt like mine. Finally
    I told him, "Look. I paid a buck for it 2 months ago. Give me a buck,
    and you can have this one right now."

He decided he didn't want it after all. This teaches us a valuable
    lesson, but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe something like: ya
    never know what people are gonna do.

Our tomato plants are still producing. I picked 40 or 50 tomatoes over the
    weekend. Ate 'em all too. Well, they are cherry tomatoes named
    Sun Gold. Their appearance matches their name.

Gordon's long beans are doing fine. They're about a foot and a half
    long now. Still growing. He's already harvested all the leaves. Used them as an ingreediment in porridge.

For all you folks who refer to yourselves as whiners or complainers,
    we have plenty to whine about. But Granni's right. The is a great
    place to vent. Most people get negative feedback from friends, etc.
    "Oh, you shoulda done this." No wonder people are willing to pay
    professionals to listen.

Anyhoo, it is a basic law of thermodynamics that if people don't vent
    now and then, they will blow up. So here's the place to do it.

Thanks for the report on Carla, Granni. As I recall, she bought that
    little house on the hill when it was in foreclosure. She fixed it all
    up herself. I saw pics of it on Youtube and on her site. Decorated
    it with her own art work. I wish she felt up to coming back and posting
    now and then.

Teacher, thanks for the info about Miss Froggy who wore open
    toad shoes. I suppose she bought them on the web.

Wildflowers, Meine Grossmuttr war ein Deutecher too. Know almost
    nothing about that branch of the family except that her surname was
    Rudnick. She came to the New World around the turn of the last

And I just found out I have relatives from Sicily.

One of my cousins has been doing research on the Del Grande and Paolini families. One came from Sicily and one from the Aburzzo, the mountains on the east coast of Italy.

I also found out that my cousin Roderick uses his middle name.
    His first name was Armando. And his dad, my uncle Otto, was
    actually christened Attilio. Really quite amazing to get this info
    so late in life. My cousin wrote a wonderful history of the family
    and posted it on the net.

Verdi wrote an opera named "Attila" about the Hun. He also wrote one
    titled "Sicilian Vespers".

Better go before I lose this.

4. springwater

springwater Active Member

Nice of you to write that long post and you know we never mind venting
    out here. Like Rock sadi, vent or bust. I prefer to vent.

I know how you feel about the little things going on where your dear
    dad and mum stay. I guess this is where you should practise detachment
    and not let it get to you so much.

I think youre doing right by staying alert and pointing out to the staff
    things theyre missing but dont feel awful and guilty yourself. you have
    done far more than most of us are able to do. you have been with your
    parents thru health thu sickness.
  5. springwater

the goodest daughter ever parents could have. make sure
    you dont make yourself ill by worrying so much. google
    all the sites you can about how to cope. maybe you could
    even visit a therapist for a week or two to talk it out. they
    would know how to explain to you not to feel so guilty and
    give you tips on how to destress by internal talking.

Georgia - the energy at your former workplace must be so
    unhealthy and youre picking it up when you go visit. i would
    suggest not going back too often. or at least say a prayer
    for protection when you do go.

the most haunted places seem to be former hospitals, mental
    health facilities because these places have a lot of fear, sadness
    locked into them.

snog - i couldnt do without my tv. by the way a big welcome
    to you if i havent already said it. like i mentioned earlier we
    love people coming in and joining us here on the porch.
    my brain cells are sort of stagnating because i dontwork and
    i dont have much company so when i watch talk shows and
    news and debates the ole brain cells get stirred around a bit.

6. Granniluvsu

Popping in before lunch.

Gail - so sorry you are having to go through this with your Mom. It is so sad to have to see them deteriorate that way day after day and know they will not be getting any better. We lived states away from where my Mom was so did not see that. It was hard enough when we went to see her when she was so bad, try and feed her, etc. She was strong and knew she wanted to just go and not be a burden to all. When she refused ice cream I knew she was passed the stage of reasoning adn trying to get better. Hugs and blessings sent your way.

Julie - That is so hard I know with both of them with Alzheimers with one just worse than the other. You just try and do to much. You are going to fall apart girl if you keep on pushing yourself. I know I can't change your mind but maybe going a little less during the week might be best. The problems when it is close they expect you to be there. How far away is the facility from your home? Perhaps you need to talk to someone to give you some balanced ideas that would work. Yes, you do need to coice your opinions to the people at the facility to make sure she gets her oxygen hooked up aain after her meals, and whatever else you think is needed. Yes, you are a wonderful daughter and don't you forget it but try not to do so much all at once.

Spring Water - You are wering me out talking about all the festival preparations and whatever you are expected to do. I know I sit here at the computer and think of all the things I should be doing , and here I sit :)!!! Did go to work out some with DH this morning but he's the pushy one :)!!! He has a lot more NRG than I have for sure.

Georgia - Glad to hear from you and that you donpt plan on going back to that toxic work environment you were once in. That surely doesnt help pain or whatever other symptoms you have or have had. Hope you can reverse the prediabetes.

The doc had thought that DH was prediabetic also for awhile. Still need to go back and get checked again. The last time his fasting blood sugar was much better. It is time to go again. Off and on we would eat these Blue Bunny sugar free ice cream bars, vanilla with choc. coating. They are SOOO good but haven't had any in awhile . There are probably some other sugar free ice creams and desserts that is just a tasty, too.

Hi ROCK - I know you wrote a nice post and I can't remember what you said. I haven't been attaching to the volume, so I can read what all have said since my computer died and we had to buy another. Also, when the new format started for PH I think tha t confused my brain too. It doesn't take much these days.

Hugs and love to awl,
  7. springwater

the rest of my post didntmake it so here it is again

Gail - praying for you to be infused with strength as you sit with your
    beloved mum; I dont know why people are put thru this but we are,
    some sort of test watching loved ones fade. i can only say pls try
    and think of all the good times and know you have done the best you

day before i surprised myself by walking to town, one hour for me nowadays
    with my fatigue, and after visiting MIL, went shopping for edibles, then
    walkedback because of no buses, no seats i mean, and no cabs either
    festival season :( walked in the wet rain with cars and people all around
    me, and then i actually cooked a full course meal for dh and son,
    rice, flattened bread on griddle, lentils soup, cabbage curry. so proud
    normally a walk like that would send me to bed straight away!
  8. springwater

Rock - did you have a good bone cracking session? you must have looked
    like someone from Hawaii with your flowery shirt. i like the way you doc
    sounds, sounds like a nice caring person the chiropracter i mean.

Granni - my DH was diagnosed as borderline diabetic too. on top of being
    having hypertension. there is no end to these health hazards is there.
    i am glad he is working out with a vengeance these days. goes to a health
    club and sweats it out vigorously. and he has lost a lot of weight. it falls
    off from the back first. my son told him he looks like a young man from the
    back. haha.

9. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

You don't really have to mention ice cream to get me in the mood to eat it, especially since I am tempted by it every day by being a hop, skip, and a jump away from DQ. It should be illegal to have DQ's anywhere near humanity!!! = : D

How are you doing Granni?

Fight ; )
  10. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Hope you're all doing okay! I miss you all!

Teacher, hope you get well soon! Nasty stuff!

Goatwoman - You know what I think about these pengys messing with my pc's? #%^#@#^%^$$%TRRESGE%$#^$%&^%^%&#&*(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like to keep this forum clean, that and I don't want to get into trouble, so I used many symbols!

Does Victoria have the pengys now because I kicked them out a few weeks ago!!!!

Fight ; )
  11. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Missed you! I love those cherry tomatoes! My dad finally got some in his garden which is now frozen over in this #@%^$$**&^^ frozen tundra, but they were HUGE!!!! I could barely fit them in my mouth, let alone be able to bite it without it squirting out of my mouth. That reminds me I've got some to eat still in the fridge before they go bad. But then my sore ass has to get to the store to get lettuce. Not today.

Fight ;)
  12. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Sorry to hear about what you're going through. It's so hard to experience.

My prayers are with you and your family. My grandma held on for 4 months past when they said she would die. She wouldn't let go of me. I thought it was others, but the day I told her it's okay to go, she went within hours, but wouldn't go until I left the room for a bit. Her last month she lived off of nothing but will! Don't know how she lasted without food and water.

Family is family. We can't change them, and we can't do anything about it. And during a death of a family member, esp one who's been the peace-maker or brought everyone together, there is way too much stress and people will show it in bad ways. Hugs help though! Same with listening even when you might not want to. I learned a lot when I bit my lip. Then again, you're not as vocal as me, if you are indeed. Hope all smooths out and you're in my prayers.

Fight ;)
  13. Granniluvsu

a small group sinsging practice this afternoon and a big performance tonight with the county choral society. It should be a fun program. Good music and delcious BBQ meal before that.

Have stuff to do at home this morning before I have to worry about the singing stuff.

Fight - Hi there, glad to have you back here. I'm doing about the same, just try and stay busy with stuff I like and forget about the stuff I don't like cleaning the house :)!! Still in pain from FM, arthritis, myofascial pain, etc. Just trying Tramadol to see if that will help without getting overloaded on the stuff. I am on enough sutuff for thyroid, and hi b/p. Also osteoporosis but trying natural now after Forteo and other stuff didn't really seam to work.

Gail and Julie - I am so sorry to hear what you both are going through. You both are saints. I really couldnpt do what I wanted to do for my mom when she got bad but then I lived miles away too but thi pain and hi b/p that likes to spike bad got in the way of trying to do anything. I knew I couldnlt and think I got part of my family angry at me. Don't think they believed I was really sick- you know the story. God bless you both and your parents. It is horrible to have to see they go down daily.

As I said before Julie, it might be better not to go every day as you have been doing., Goitta run now.,

14. springwater

Nice to see all the new faces

Fight - good to see you again

Granni - envy you your positivity, you go out and do things even when
    battling all the aches and pains of this DD, the big program coming up
    sounds like fun

Julie - I wish your brother had stayed closer by and could have done
    his share supervising mum and dads care. For me, my elder brother
    was the mainstay since i lived away and middle bro lived away and
    youngest bro is kind of not very bright. he and my SIL did most of it.
    You do do so much more than your fair share, pls take care of your
    own health.

well, festival chugging along. the dh was commenting i dont seem so
    uptight and angry this time around as i normally do when the help has
    gone off and Im left to deal with dogs cooking everything.

15. springwater

managed to stay on top of cooking etc but the cleanng is going for
    a toss.

tomorrow we hav the gathering at dhs uncles place, ive offered to
    make some dishes to help out.

we spoke to daughter. apparently she asked dad if the help had left
    and when he said 'yes' she told him to steel himself for my temper outbursts.
    she knows me well, that one.

but im proud to say i hav not had one temper tantrum since the help left
    :). and also been cooking up a storm, goat curry, chicken sesame, and
    what not. i thot i better try and be the good wife and mum and do what
    other housewives do here during festive season.

last night at ten my son got a call from his former tution teacher who
    taught him economics, (altho she is only one level senior to him). apparently
    she has heart problems and it started acting up and their family doesnt hav a car .

my dh started protesting but i could see from my sons face he wasnt
    going to not go so i told hi, he could go. all the while quaking because son
    doesnt hav a license as yet.

anyways he seems to have reached her and their family all right to the
    heart hospital because he came back after she was admitted. i dont know
    why such young people have such horrible health issues. she is the one
    with mild bipolar and he had this other friend who was operated on because
    she was getting typhoid so often. she also recovered from the surgery.

well i hav to tackle the wash today. sons clothes dhs mine. socks and
    what not. my hands are all wrinkly from detergent so dh got me plastic
    gloves yesterday. he also got me a small portable cd player so i can]
    put n music in the kitchen or bedroom and do my chores. i suppose he
    thot i woud be in a better temper. heh,

take care you all

thinking of jole, elaine, and all the others missing in action

God Bless
  16. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Hi again! Everyone is different, and I hope it works for you, however, I tried that stuff and every time I drank too much caffeine or even exercised on a bike I ended up throwing up due to the med. Once I got off it I stopped throwing up. However, I've known a number of people with FMS that it helped! So either way, give it a try as long as it doesn't cause bad side effects.

I take Lyrica and got off all other meds except a few non-FMS meds, like anti-allergy meds. Had a dr appt yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon, but didn't wake up until 15 min prior and the drive alone is at least 20 min, that's speeding of course. Plus, I needed to clean up. Had my alarm set on my phone but it didn't help that I had it on mute.

Well, I'm glad to be back! Miss you all! I'll be posting more often. Sad that so many have left, but as usual, more come back eventually, or more are invited to chat.

Fight ;)
  17. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I'll tell you something Hon, I'd rather clean than cook! While I did all of the cleaning at home, with the big family, 3 brothers and parents, I never got tired of cleaning, well, now I'm just tired. But when I cooked for them I hated it! I'd have to grab a plate before they ate it all up and I made enough for an army! Also, I use to get food I made stolen from me from one particular brother. So I never got into cooking, unless it's baking or using the crock pot, those two things I'm great at! So when I come move in with you in a few months I'll agree to do the cleaning if you do all of the cooking, deal?

Nice to see you again!

Fight ;)
  18. Granniluvsu

will writer a short one. DH just left for golf and here I sit at the computer withmy jammies on. I need to go get dressed and then off to the store (WalMarrt) to pick up some things, one of which is some snack for our fellowship at church choir tonight. So I NEED to go.

Fight - I know wht you mean about cooking. I used to cook for 8 every day years ago when FIL was with us and our 5 children. Now it seems like every day is aproject on what to fix. I'm getting older and lazier and think the pain is just wearing me down and I am getting lazier. I am still searching for my get up and go :)! If you or anyone else finds it please send it to me, will you ?

Oh, I love the crock pot to. If you have any easy or crock pot recipes please post. That goes for you and or anyone else :)!!

Glad you can at least take the Lyrica. I haven't found any med that makes me throw up. I probably would have tried the Lyrica but it is still an upper tier drug and costs to much for me. Tramadol is cheap at least if you get the generic. I take to many other things. I don't need to tkae the Lyrica. If that were cheap I might have trired that too. I think I am going to have to up my dosage. I am currently just trying the 25 mg a day. Trying to get by on as little as possible. I know others that are on Lyrica and it has helped them too. Are you on many other meds.? I am taking a bunch of supplements.

Spring Water - I understand the way you feel with no NRG? How come your help left, are they on vacation? I finally did get someone to help with the cleaning monthly but I need to do everything else and of course cooking, washing, and daily chores, etc. etc. Hope I can afford to keep her with our bad economy. I have onlyhad her one time. I kept sayig I was going to do it and when the opportunity came I grabbed her. She cleans for 2 others I know from church and chorale.

I don't know if I have temper tantrums but I know I can get grumpy esp with DH. Sometimes he thinks he is teasing me but I don;t like it and to me it is not teasing. Plus he is always wanting me to help with extra chores like painting the patio which is coming up and the small bridge that is on our property. We did not put it it, the first owners did. Then we start the patio. Wish we could afford to have it painted like other people.

Julie and Gail - Big warm hugs to you. Blessings to you both with your big hearts.

Missing lots of MIA's too. Gotta run and get ready to go shopping.

Love to everydobby,

19. rockgor

It's raining here in Los Angeles. Very strange weather this past year. usually we
    only have rain during the 3 winter months.

But yesterday we had a token rain, and today it's the real thing. Been raining for
    3 hours now.

I hope it lets up. We have 11 books to pick up at the library. I need some new books.
    Started 3 novels this past week and had to give up on all of them. And for the
    same reason. All the characters were unpleasant. Who wants to read a book
    like that?!

Just started a biography of Kander and Ebb. They're the guys what write musicals
    including "Cabaret".

Had a note from my brother who lives outside of Portland, OR. He called to get
    symphony tickets. Gave his surname. The fellow on the other had said, "Which
    one?" My brother said I'm the only patron with that name.

The ticket seller said not anymore. There's also a women named Helen in
    Ventura, CA." It was my ex-wife.

Have already done the dishes and written a verse. If I get nothing else done today,
    at least I did something. Ha Ha!

20. rockgor

Well, the rain finally stopped. Rained for about 6 hours. Then a brisk breeze
    came along and blew all the clouds away leaving a lovely blue sky. Don't see
    blue sky in LA much. Zippy and I had a nice walk.

I made it to the library. Two parking spaces were occupied by a tree that blew over.
    I didn't think the wind was that strong. Instead of eleven, the library had 12 books
    waiting for me. Good thing I had 2 canvas bags to tote 'em in. (Not to be confusiated
    with a Totem Pole.)

When I got home Gordon was stewing about a missing cookbook.* So I checked
    the receipts from the library and my list and the computer. Yes, we have a missing
    cookbook according to the library computer.

So I started to look through the books in his bedroom. He has dozens
    of his own cookbooks and always some from the library.

He told me not to look 'cause he already had looked there. I said what I always
    say on these occasions. There's no way I can look and not look simultaneously.
    As you might expect, I found it in a pile of his personal cook books. We do
    this little morality play every so often. Sometimes he plays the part of the finder.

Yes, Fight, the home grown tomatoes are wonderful; they actually have flavor. Those
    commercial things just provide a cool texture. Shame your alarm didn't go off.
    I guess if you set the alarm and the mute is on, the whole process becomes moot.

Julie, yes, you had a sad day indeed. As Springwater put it, "Think of all the good
    times and know you have done the best you could." Nobody can do more than
    their best. We can't shield our children from life's blows or our parents either.

Springwater, how is your son's friend who went to the hospital? I think that was
    a good decision on your part to let him take her. You know, the most difficult
    cases (legal or just life situations) present conflicting principles. One the one hand,
    you want your son to obey the law. On the other, his friend apparently had no
    other way to get to the hospital.

Granni, you are not lazier. You may not do as much as you used to, but it's
    certainly not due to laziness. I've been old and feeble for at least a decade, and
    I think we calculated that you're only a couple months younger than I. And
    you must be doing more than I by a factor of some large number.

Better go check out on of my library books.*

*pun alert