Portia De Rossi - Anorexia and Osteoporosis

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by TwoCatDoctors, Nov 8, 2010.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

If you haven't caught it, Portia De Rossi, the wife of Ellen DeGeneres (talk show host), has been speaking out lately about when she had been secretly dealing with Anorexia and Bulimia. She was about 24 or 25 and was appearing on the Ally McBeal show and she actually developed osteoporosis back then from the anorexia.

As I recall, before the term Anorexia was coined, I believe hearing the medical condition referred to as "failure to thrive."
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

And who can forget the Rubenesque women of art??? They had shapes to them and it's so different than we see today on the fashion runways, in magazines, on TV, in advertisements (even those that hang at public bus stops and subways where kids and young women see them). I find it so painful to watch when Dr. Phil or another show features those that are anorexic or bulimic and try to get them help. Many are so close to dying--dying to be thin.

Never before had I connected osteoporosis to anorexia, but it makes total sense and I read that the teeth get very bad. You don't feed the body, and it can't nourish itself. Some are only feeding themselves on 300 calories a day or less.