Positive ANA anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lois1023, Sep 22, 2003.

1. lois1023

lois1023 New Member

Three years ago I was diagnosed with fibro but because I lived in rural Montana at the time and lack of insurance medical care was minimal. I was told that not much could be done and I needed to learn to live with it. Last year I left Montana and now have insurance. I really like my doctor but he says that my labs come back with a positive ANA which means there is inflamation and that it means I don't have fibromyalgia but probably polymyositis. I think I'd rather have fibro as the treatment for poly is horrible. Has anyone else had a positive ANA? I go back on Oct. 1st to get results of latest tests. A neurologist and rheumatologist both say fibro.
  2. angelone

angelone New Member

Yes I have a positive ANA and was sent to a rehematolisgt. It was at that time when I found out I have fibro. My primary care thought I had lubus. Thank God is wasn't. I have since had it get and been diagnosised as having Sjorgen sydrome which causes dry eyes and dry mouth. Couldn't tolerate the medicine so, I drink lots of water. I also have been diagnosis with OA.
    So a postive ANA can mean a number of things
  3. JP

JP New Member

Hello Lois1023,

I have a positive ANA too. I have been checked 3 times over the past year and it's positive everytime. We don't know what it is and there are 80 known autoimmune diseases. I guess time will tell. You can have a false positive ANA. Testing multiple times will rule out a false positive. There are a number of members here who also have positive ANA's.

Keep us posted, Jan
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

about 4 months ago.Now my bloodwork comes back negative?? My dr. thought possibly lupus too. I'm being watched to see what happens.I have a poss. DX of fibro. for 11+ years.I guess its common for us to have mixed test results??????I have a high sed rate too??still nothing concrete....could be many things~ Take care:)
  5. aching

aching New Member

I also have had a positive ana for the past 4 years.The last time I had it done in the spring it was negative. That's when I got the diagnosis of fibro. Sjogrens syndrome was suspected in me also and now I'm starting to have symptoms of scleroderma, so who knows.
    aching
  6. dimarc

dimarc New Member

I've had a positive ANA for four years now; the first one was when I was DXd with Fibro. My primary says that I have to watch it because it can turn in to Lupus at any time. Does anyone know what shows them that it may be turning into Lupus? What #s do they look for when they are looking for Lupus?