Positive ANA Titers - 1:180 - what does this mean? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Has anyone else had Positive ANA Titers of 1:180? If so, what does that mean for you.

Thanks,

Lolalee
    [This Message was Edited on 09/10/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/10/2006]
  2. TerryS

TerryS Member

My PCP "doesn't know" if it means anything (his words). It was 1:320 in summer 2005 apparently.

I've read that anything over 1:40 is positive. I'm sure it means SOMETHING! I know certain disorders cause the ANA to be positive (one example is lupus).

That's all I know right now.

TerryS
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I cannot recall if it is you or someone else I have been responding to re ANA titers.

How they get the numbers is by titrating the blood sample by diluting it and searching for ana still visible.

Therefore, ANA doubles each time they see the antibodies still present. So you would go directly from 1.60 to 3.20 to 6.40 or sometimes expresse as 1,600 etc.

We all probably have some ANA showing from time to time, without it really meaning much. Labs are notorious for doing iffy titers as it depends on the time and care taken with dilution, which can vary wildly from lab to lab.

The breakdown of the ANA is what you need to read. Speckled etc. See if you can find that. Let me see that post and I can help further. MME CUrie is not about much she was so helpful for lab work. I would not worry at all, although it can indicate a disease process, titers of 1:60 should not be worrisome but do look at the breakdown as it will tell where it is going.

Don't worry.

Love Anne
  4. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

My sister has Lupus and consistently has her ANA monitored. If your ANA was Positive and as high as 1:320, I would pursue a second opinion. I plan on seeing a Rheumatologist as soon as I can find a good one.

WebMd has a good explanation of ANA (AntiNuclear Antibodies) (just do a Google Search) indicating the possible autoimmune disorders that high positive ANA could mean...anything from Lupus to Rheumatoid Arthritis. Some of these illnesses can be controlled and improved or reversed with proper medication. If left unattended, they could get worse. I am not trying to diagnose you or scare you,Terry, but I would have that checked out by a physician who specializes in autoimmune disorders.

In my case, I was just wondering if anyone had a positive number similar to mine.

Lolalee
  5. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Anne, thanks so much for your response. Unfortunately my lab work does not show a breakdown the way you have indicated. My sister has Lupus as do 2 of my female cousins. I am not worried, but this is ther first time I've shown a positive ANA.

If it was just this result, it might not mean anything. But, I've had other test abnormaliites and I'm having a lot of new and strange symptoms, so I don't want to ignore it. Together all these things might mean something. I think it could be dangerous to attribute everything to FMS and CFIDS. I've never been this sick.

Thanks for responding.

Lolalee
  6. TerryS

TerryS Member

I have an appointment with a rheumatologist on 9/22 (first available appointment!!!). I have a history of out of the ordinary illnesses (I think I have them on my profile). I know we've talked before on some of these posts because I recognize your name, but darned if I have a clue which one!

Anyhow, besides the ANA, I have positive anti-DNA, positive chronic/reactivated Epstein Barr, positive "arthritis panel" (my PCP mentioned that one but I didn't get a copy of the paperwork yet). My PCP has ran yet more lab work.

I'll be seeing a neurologist this week and the rheumy next week. A CT scan of the brain last week was normal. He mentioned the neurologist would possibly want to do an MRI.

I have felt better today than for the past month. Still dizzy, hurting, and tired, but more "good hours" today than in a LONG time!!!

I've decided to take charge of myself and try my best to make some healthy dietary changes. I'm a sucker for "convenience foods" because I'm so darn tired after working all day. And here I am out on a medical leave, but, of course, I'm still too tired to prepare a decent meal!!!

Anyhow, let me know what you find out about your ANA. Hope you (and I) don't have lupus!!!

TerryS