Positive ANA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat0465, May 17, 2008.

1. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

How many have had Positive ana's? i have had them off & on for almost 15 yrs now. Doc says they are low positive & that goes along with Cfids, just scared i really have Lupus & it just kinda sitting there waiting to rear it's ugly head any day now :( don't think i can take another diagnosis with yet another disease!!! also she said my epstein barr was active, does that mean it's backk or just there?? any info would be appreciated!(( Hugs)) Kat
  2. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I have had positive ANA for three years but no Lupus.

I also have positive RF and high sed rate.

Doc says part of ME/CFS and Fibro.

My Fibro only developed about four years ago after several very bad viruses so it seems to tie in with that for some reason.

Love Bunchy x
  3. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi Kat!

I have had several positives and some negatives.

My ANA positive titers are 1:640 and 1:320 - both pretty high!

God Bless,

4. annade

annade New Member

I have had a positive ANA since 1998, however, the last lab test came back negative. That was the first neg. ANA in ten years, however, I feel the worst I have in ten years and just recently received the Dx of fibro., go figure. My rheumy said a positive ANA doesn't really mean much.

Try not to worry about an assoc. of a pos. ANA with an impending autoimmune disorder as millions of people are walking around with pos. ANA's and don't have autoimmune disorders. Hope this helps alleviate your fears a bit. I know it is hard not to worry about developing another illness, espec. when we get pos. labs on certain tests. I previously tested pos. for another autoimmune disorer (limited scleraderma) four years ago; however, my current rheumy retested for that illness and it came back negative. He said that we get false pos. all the time, espec., when the bloodwork is evaluated by labs that use inferior analysis tools. He is adimant that all these labs should be done through a hosptial lab not the big lab companies as they use inferior (less expensive) tools to run the tests. Definitely an eye opening expereince for me. The rheumy I see by the way has been rated as the top rheumatologist in San Diego so I do believe he knows his stuff and is very careful about the tests he runs and where he runs them. Just thought this would be helpful information to you.

5. questus9

questus9 New Member

Have had positive ANA tests off and on, but always a very low sed rate.

Years ago, I was diagnosed with Lupus before CFS was on the radar. It was later determined I did not have Lupus.

Lupus is a disease that can ravage your internal organs...Chest pain, skin rashes, hair loss, and a host of other symptoms often accompany this disease.

CFS is horrible, but I would take it over Lupus.

6. rachelle01

rachelle01 New Member

Having a high ANA and positive RH, and high sed rate are not just CF....very indicative of autoimmune and I would go to another Rheumatologist. I've been to many of them, even a top one, at a top hospital, and the one that helped me is actually not to far from where I live. Its amazing how these labs and doctors all vary in their own opinions.
    I would simply not settle on a Fibro or CF diagnoses.

7. MsCKP2000

MsCKP2000 New Member

My PCP informed me that I had a positive ANA for lupus four weeks ago, I was then referred to a Rheumotoligist, she performed several lab test, all came back negative, which ruled out lupus! All my blood work came back normal, yet I was still experiencing pain.
  8. mepsew

mepsew New Member

What I usually do after a dr appt is write down my questions (because I usually don't think of them until after seeing the dr). I then call and leave a message for my dr or dr's nurse to call me because I have questions. They always call me back, maybe not the same day, but at least by the next day. You can also ask for copies of your lab and/or test results so you can look up the info yourself. Don't be afraid to EXPECT your dr to answer whatever questions you have. We all need to remember that our dr's work for US. Good luck and keep the faith!!!
  9. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

when i had my first positive,years ago, they sent me to a Rheumatologist, who did all kinds of tests, she said then "No Lupus" But still over the years Positive ana's guess it's just something to watch & be aware of. thanks all of you for the Great info!!
    {{Hugs}} Kat
  10. 00a7370

00a7370 New Member

My ANA was 1:80 speckled but all tests for Lupus, etc came back neg after further testing.

Now I'm concerned re. high C3 and C4 but have been told that might be mold which we have in our bathrooms and can't get fixed due to no money.
  11. Siuan

Siuan New Member

I have had two mild positive ANA tests, but no Lupus. Yet.
  12. mezombie

mezombie Member

Lupus was considered a possible diagnosis for my symptoms early on.

I had (and still have) a positive ANA and low C3 and C4 complement levels. Other tests for Lupus were negative.

The thing to remember about Lupus is that it is a clinical diagnosis. A good doc will consider not only your symptoms and test results, but any signs of Lupus as well.

Lupus causes your immune system to attack healthy body parts. So signs of Lupus might be skin involvement(a butterfly-shaped rash reaching from below your eyes and over your nose), kidney, and other major organs.

I was monitored for at least a year for any signs of Lupus, and was tested every three months.

No signs emerged, and my test results remained the same.
  13. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

both positive and negative. My endocrinologist thinks that it is most likely positive at times due to my having Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism, which is also an autoimmune disease, which can make titers positive.
  14. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Mine has been positive since 2002- very mild positive - I think 1:20.

My rheumy said that once positive- always positive. Not that what we are dealing with is not enough!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/22/2008]
  15. artistwithin

artistwithin New Member

My PCP sent me to a Rheumy too who repeated the test and sure enough still a positive ANA but neg. for anything else. He said while I could develop Lupus maybe more likely then someone with a neg ANA, I may never have it. That was three years ago and still no Lupus. Also my ANA is sometimes neg. I do have Fibro though.
  16. rachelle01

rachelle01 New Member

There are so many other autoimmune diseases besides lupus.
    A great book is "Living well with autoimmune Disease" by Mary Shomon..seems many doc's are just focused on lupus.
    Keep track of every single one of your symptoms, keep a journal everyday if you can. Then, go to a top hospital like the Cleveland Clinc or something.
  17. YiuTaiTai

YiuTaiTai New Member

I've had several positive ANAs, and a few negatives, and almost every symptom of Lupus, but no diagnosis. I almost wish I HAD been diagnosed with Lupus, because they know how to treat Lupus a little better than fibro...ya know?
  18. Empower

Empower New Member

I just got results that positive ANA 1:40 speckled

Wants to test me for Lupus now

Not sure what to think
  19. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have had a positive ANA for years, rather high, 1:640 was sent to a rheumy to rule out lupus. No lupus. I do think its part of CFS/FM . I have read that CFS is autoimmune then I read it isn't, who knows.

God Bless,
  20. rachelle01

rachelle01 New Member

Did you also know that a positive ANA can also reflect Lymes? I found several internet articles about it. I have lupus, but got super sick one day and all the symptoms of Lyme came out. I tested positive for Chronic lymes via
    Igenex. After showing these results to several top doctors, they all said, its because of my Lupus, not lymes and the Lymes test can produce a false positive? all very confusing.

Also, Empty2void...you have all the symptoms of Lupus..not sure what Mild lupus is, but I would be concerned if I were you..maybe you werent flaring as much, but your body still indicating alot of auto-antibodies and attacking your body?
    Are you taking any medication like plaquenil to supress your symtoms? worry about you....