POSITIVE!!!!!!! FM/CFS Article in the CBC Ottawa news

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CanBrit, Mar 20, 2008.

1. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Cortisol may alleviate chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia symptoms: study

Last Updated: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 | 4:43 PM ET Comments7Recommend45CBC News

Sufferers of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome may see significant relief from their symptoms when administered the stress hormone cortisol, finds a new study.

A review of 50 published studies conducted by researchers in California has found that people who suffer from chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia have adrenal dysfunction, meaning their adrenal glands, which produce sex hormones and cortisol, don't work effectively.

Chronic fatigue is a condition in which people have debilitating fatigue that may be get worse with activity and is not relieved by rest. Fibromyalgia is a syndrome characterized by multiple pain points in muscles throughout the body and fatigue. Chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia affect 0.5 to five per cent of the population, according to the study's authors.

"My review of existing studies suggests that a treatment protocol of early administration of cortisol may help improve and reduce the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia," said Dr. Kent Holtorf, medical director of the Holtorf Medical Group Center for Endocrine, Neurological and Infection Related Illness in Torrance, Calif., in a release.

Holtorf also conducted an observational study with 500 patients from his clinic, who received cortisol as part of their treatment. He found that by the fourth visit, 84 per cent reported improvement, with 75 per cent showing "significant improvement," and 62 per cent reporting substantial improvement.

The typical dose of cortisol adminstered to patients was 5 to 15 mg. Concentrations in the body were measured throughout the study using urine analysis.

"Cortisol treatment carries significantly less risk and a greater potential for benefit than treatments considered to be the standard of care for both conditions," said Holtorf.

The study is published in the winter issue of the Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

[This Message was Edited on 03/20/2008]
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

3. 4peas

4peas New Member

get a dr to prescribe this? Anyone tried this before?
  4. pluis

pluis New Member

to much brainfog to read the article therefore would this be about Cortef?
  5. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Cortisol is an important hormone in the body, secreted by the adrenal glands and involved in the following functions and more:

Proper glucose metabolism
    Regulation of blood pressure
    Insulin release for blood sugar maintanence
    Immune function
    Inflammatory response

Small increases of cortisol have some positive effects:

A quick burst of energy for survival reasons
    Heightened memory functions
    A burst of increased immunity
    Lower sensitivity to pain
    Helps maintain homeostasis in the body

6. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

FFC gives this to ALL their patients. Whether we needed it or not!! Most of us did not benefit from it and it made my sister sick.

It may help some, but it's not a magic bullet. Holtorf is part of the FFC chain. I wouldn't believe their statistics as they are not very accurate. They probley counted both me and my sister as part of the success stories even though they didn't make us better.

7. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Here's a link to the article

8. pluis

pluis New Member

If this is about supplementing cortef, I will say that it doesn't help. No response whatsover. dr. Enlander is against it as well.
  9. wishingonastar

wishingonastar New Member

Hi everyone,

On January 17th, 2008 Dr. Juguilon (formerly of the FFC Cleveland) prescribed me a low dose of Cortisol and it triggered a complete relapse for me.

The first day I took it my sleep was heavily disrupted. She finally took me off of it 5 weeks later when I was completely fatigued and barely able to function. She began to decrease my thyroid medication and when that did not result in improvement, she told me to find a primary care physician that would work with me. And you all know how hard that is to find.

This has been very hard for me since I was doing very well for the past 3 years. I have been unable to go to work, need assistance in getting to doctors appointments and, as a single mom, a great deal of difficulty in raising my now 13 year old daughter. It is increadibly difficult for her to go through this a second time also.

Now I am trying to find a doctor who will work with me and they either don't know what to do or can't find anything to work with me on.

Any suggestions for good doctors in Cleveland or the surrounding area?

Thanks, everyone,

10. babyk902

babyk902 New Member

that's great! what was your experience with it, did it really help your energy levels? and how much did you take?

i'd like to try this
  11. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

I am familiar with this theory and have actually had a cortisol test done myself. Although I am low in cortisol during the early morning I am EXTREMELY high in cortisol later in the day and highest at night!
    I would imagine giving me more cortisol would not be wise, although I could be wrong.
    I do have a problem regulating alot in my body, low blood sugar, blood pressure, body temperature, etc.
    Im curious to know more about this though.

12. Juloo

Juloo Member

You're right -- you would really need someone who understood the interconnection of all these hormones who would oversee your treatment. I started working with a naturopath about six? seven? years ago. The clinic was focused on adrenal fatigue. At first by saliva testing, I showed low morning, high-ish evening cortisol (disruptive sleep). They worked on lowering the evening cortisol by using Seriphos. It was as if my body was hyper-responding to stress and producing lots of cortisol when it wasn't really needed (you can see it in my body shape, but it wasn't so pronounced as to be Cushings). When the DHEA (which the body needs to produce cortisol) finally ran down, then my cortisol was low all the time. This was actually preferrable to me, as I wasn't fatigue but still mind-spinning at night.

So now I've taken low-dose supplemental cortisol per prescription (first by naturopath via licorice, now cortisol from rx from FFC) -- 5 to 10 mg each morning. Smoothed me out just fine.

Adrenals need support, though.

Low-dose cortisol is not a new treatment. I'm trying to remember the name of the person who wrote a book about it -- if I remember, I'll post it.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/21/2008]
  13. Juloo

Juloo Member

There is a book I was trying to think of regarding low dose cortisol. I found it on Amazon. (I do not have it.) It is called "Safe Uses of Cortisol" (3rd ed.) by William McK. Jefferies. The 1996 (2nd ed.?) lists the author as M.D. & FACP(?). I don't know why it is so expensive -- might be worth it to order through interlibrary loan. I'll post this to the other thread as well.
  14. aftermath

aftermath New Member

Any "study" indicating efficacy of a treatment is not much better than worthless unless it involves a placebo group.
  15. wishingonastar

wishingonastar New Member

you do to naturally support your adrenal glands?

16. padeyas

padeyas New Member

i am a Holtorf patient. ironically, i am also on hydrocortisone. though holtorf has only MINUTELY helped my condition (CFS- due to immune deficiency), cortisol has helped me MORE then ANY other hormone/supplement to date. this is from a guy that has TRIED MANY different treatments. after years of negative thinking about the hormone (cortisol), i finally decided to give it a try.

i purchased some cortef (brand for hydrocortisone) on line and i STILL remember the FIRST day i took 5mg (very low dose)! my temperature FINALLY increased (after years of thyroid therapy) and it has helped my brain fog more then anything to date. oh, like the lady stated above, it helped my photosensetivity too. there is a test one can perform. i forget the fine detail, but you flash a pin light on the pupil. everyones pupil will and should constrict, but those with adrenal insufficiency will not remain constricted for the length of time it should (the detail i forget).. this is the reason the adrenal are linked to photosensitivity. with me, prior to administration i would recall my pupils dilated at times (when they probably shouldnt be). i'm not sure if its a parasympathetic deficiency or a sympathetic over stimulation, but either way the cortisol has helped tremendously!

though Holtorf has a competent protocol in place, they are far from perfect and VERY expensive. after i self treated myself and saw 10-20% benefit from cortisol it UPSET me that my physician NEVER suggested it. my cortisol (not a ACTH stimulation test) blood work a YEAR ago showed i was BORDERLINE low (2mg away from below reference) and according to Dr. Teitlebaum there is a 4mg/dl deviation. this means, according to him, if the SAME person has their blood drawn (same time)and test their cortisol, those same 4 different test tube results will have 4 +/- deviations. this is profound! honestly, i didnt expect my physician to know this, but she (i didnt see Kent Holtorf as he is REALLY expensive and has a long waiting list) should have suggested cortisol therapy when i had signs/symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (allergies, low body temp, brain fog, stressed)that she was aware of.

well, i dont want to blab too much, but do want to say that years ago i thought cortisol was EVIl and it wasnt until after incorporating into my therapy that i have seen GREAT benefits from the hormone. also, after i mentioned to my Dr. at hortolf medical about my cortisol benefits she was MORE then willing to continue me on it, but she wanted me to try their compounded cortisol (sustained release). well, it did NOTHING for me and the brain fog came back! after a week of trying to adjust the dosage, i went back on cortef!

i am far from 100%, but this cheap HARMLESS (at low dosages) little hormone has given me more benefit then ANYTHING to date.. if anyone is interested, Dr. Jefferies has a book entitled "Safe uses of Cortisol"..

[This Message was Edited on 03/29/2008]
  17. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Just wondering.. I have been looking for Jefferies book for a LONG time. And as mentioned above, i can only find it for about $80-$100 plus online at amazon and so fourth. Where is the site where it's available for $40?

Would greatly appreciate.. Thanks.