Positive Mitochondrial (M2) Antibody...How it relates to fatigue?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TerryS, Oct 10, 2006.

1. TerryS

TerryS Member

I got a definite diagnosis of FM from the rheumy last month based on symptoms and tender points.

I also got a diagnosis of CFS from infectious disease doc.

My rheumy had ran some additional tests. I have a positive anti-mitochondrial (M2) antibody which is highly specific (98%) for something called primary biliary cirrhosis. I've seen a GI doc and, since my liver enzymes are normal right now, seems I'm in a "preclinical stage" with assumption of no liver destruction yet. We'll be rechecking the labs every six months.

I have this incredible fatigue. Now I'm wondering if the fatigue I currently have is caused by the FM, the CFS, or the PBC.

Fatigue and itching are usually the first symptoms of PBC. But I wonder if the fatigue is caused by by the antibody function or the liver destruction itself. I also have itching of the palms and soles, armpits, legs.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for any info!!!

TerryS
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi Terry - I don't know anything about PBC, but I think you should look into taking milk thistle. It is very good for your liver - it helps detoxify it and helps strengthen and protect it. My sister-in-law had hepatitis C and milk thistle was one of the herbs in her protocol.

If your fatigue is caused by your liver, then I think strengthening your liver would help with the fatigue. Dandelion tea is also good for your liver. I did a major liver detox a few years ago, and took dandelion tea for awhile. I still take milk thistle.

You will probably have to do your own research on this. If I were you I would read everything I could find to help myself, and not rely solely on your doctors.

Take care --

Mary
  3. TerryS

TerryS Member

Thanks for the advice on Milk Thistle. I've done a little research and that keeps showing up as something GOOD for the liver.

I found a supplement from a liver doctor that I think I'm going to order that has the milk thistle and also has other important ingredients. I definitely need to start this now while my liver is still apparently pretty healthy!!!

I guess in the long run it doesn't matter where the fatigue is originating from. I'm just one of those people who doesn't like "loose ends" and wants a definitive answer for everything.

TerryS