POSITIVE NOTES ON CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by babyk902, Apr 22, 2009.

1. babyk902

babyk902 New Member

CFS has entirely changed my life, I'm not sure if its for the good or the bad but I am a strong believer that everything happens for a reason.. there are certainly some thing that I do have to be grateful for that have happened because of my CFS and I wanted to share them because I thought we could use some uplifting comments about each of our struggles with this disease..

For example, if I had not come down with CFS four years ago i would have never;

1. Met my boyfriend whom I've been with for four years now (coincidentally), along with some of the friends that I have become very close with.

2. Worked for my father. I am so lucky to be have the flexibility with someone who understands, and especially the opportunity to work with him and spend even more time with him.

3. Appreciated life the way that I do now.

4. I have a completely different outtake on nutrition and health, and it's become one on my passions and something I enjoy learning about. Not to mention, my diet is probably 100% better than it was 5 years ago. I would have probably never stopped smoking, eating processed foods, drinking soda, slimfast shakes and coffees with 3 equals, among TONS of other bad habits, had I never had CFS.

What are some good things that have happened to you because of your CFS and your life today?
    [This Message was Edited on 04/22/2009]
  2. emmally

emmally New Member

I realized who really cares for me and who obviously didn't. This is a good thing but a sad thing because I realized that they were not many...

I realized what is truely most impr in life and that is HEALTH. It doesn matter how much money you have, what kind of car you drive, where you live or what you do for a living if you dont have your health......if you dont have it...nothing else matters....

3. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

I love to see such positivity. It's hard for me to be positive because I feel so robbed by the illness but if I think about it CFS has given me the opportunity to slow down and look at deeper issues in my life. It has truly given me the opportunity to heal these issues if I want to take that opportunity. I find that I also am given the challenge of allowing other people to help me which has always been hard for me. Growing up I was so used to shielding my vulnerability, but with CFS you become more vulnerable. I'm still working on opening up to people but I don't think I would have even tried if it weren't for CFS.
  4. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

how wonderful of you to have seen that there can be positive things happen to you despite a serious, chronic illness. Kudos to you!

Curiousity is consuming me; how in the world did you manage to meet such a nice man while sick? Many here have had relationships break up because of their illness, illness that taxes the understanding of others.

For myself, I got lucky; my spouse came down with the same illnesses, so understanding was not an issue for us.

I was very, very poor when I first got sick, but after a long fight, I was approved for SSDI, which made my life a little easier.

I have learned to appreciate what I do have and not yearn for more.

I have been able to develop closer relationships with my children because I'm not too busy with work to have time with them.

I was able to be with my mother who lived over 2000 miles away, when she passed away, because I did not have to be at work constantly. I'm so grateful for that.

I am able to concentrate on my own nutrition and appropriate meds, too, because I have the time to do so, and take care of myself in spite of pain and sometimes downright feel half-dead.

I have found that I wonder how I ever had time to work, LOL, as the hours pass so quickly and there's always something to do, friends to call and keep in touch with, food to cook (good nutrition takes a bit of time), books to read, research to do that helps me understand CFS/ME better, etc.

Life is really what we make of it, isn't it? How nice of you to point that out...

skeptik2

5. babyk902

babyk902 New Member

to try to enjoy the best of what's been given to us. I know everything happens for a reason, and there must be something good down the road and a reason for why we come down with illnesses, whatever illness that may be, but in the end if you survive it there's no doubt that you're a stronger person.

i've been beyond lucky in my situtation because when I met my boyfriend i was feeling the best i had been in a year, and then after we started dating I started spiraling downwards again and had to start going back to the doctor.. but i've been extremely lucky to live a somewhat functional life from that point until now.
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Good thread! It's nice to see some uplifting messages once in a while. CFS has definitely changed my life. Not all for the good, however, I have defnitely become a stronger person because of it.

The biggest bonus for me has been the opportunity to get to know my nieces and nephews in a way that I never would have had I not had CFS. Had I been healthy, they probably would have only seen me at family get-togethers or on the ocassional visit with their parents. Because of CFS, I am close with almost all of them.

I get to watch Oprah every day!!! I have learned so much through her shows and her guests. I have learned to enjoy today, and not worry so much about tomorrow. If something doesn't get done today, and not even tomorrow, that's okay. In the past this would have been a real issue with me. I can't say learning to let go has been easy, but it is doable over time :)

I've also learned that life goes on no matter what. Just because I'm sick and can't live a "normal" life, doesn't mean that everyone else's lives come to a screeching halt. This has probably been one of the greatest life lessons for me. I no longer compare what I did today with what I could have accomplished pre-CFS. I also don't compare my accomplishments to family and friends. They are in good health and so should be able to accomplish more in a day.

I'm still working on the nutrition part though. That one has been a tough one for me.
  7. AdirondackScarlet

AdirondackScarlet New Member

This ones just too good not to bump back to the top.
    We are all amazing.