Positive Tilt Table Test....bad headache afterwards..Anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I had a tilt table test today and it was positive. It was a horrible test - I felt awful. Was actually crying, dry-heaving and begging them to lay me back down.

But at least we have documented evidence that I feel like crap because my body's malfunctioning.

Now I have a terrible headache. I've taken 4 advil with no relief. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this normal?

Thanks for your input.

Sofi
  2. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Hoping for some replies.

Sofi
  3. GBHope

GBHope New Member

A year or two apart. The first one was done with medication to speed up your heart and then Toprol XL to stabilize everything. The second one was done w/o medication. Both of them I had to stand for about a half-hour. Those tests are not fun. What are they giving you for it?

GBHope
  4. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

Dear Sofi

I have had a tilt table test done, but mine came back negative.

However, it is a terrible test - in fact my doctor told me afterwards that he did not tell me all about it beforehand in case I decided not to have it.

However, even though I tested negative I still felt ill afterwards. I had to stay in the centre for a while and lie down and then a friend drove me home. Took a couple of days to recover. The test really puts a strain on the body. Rest up and care for yourself. Your body and mind have just been through a lot.
  5. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

Not to sound ignorant but what is that? and why do they test?
  6. Noahvale

Noahvale New Member

I have never heard of such a test. Why is this necessary to take, and for what purpose. It sounds very harse on the bady and could kill someone. If you have the time could you explain?

Thank you, and please take care of yourself it sounds like you need it!

God Bless,

Noahvale--Kathy
  7. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

i've had a tilt table test because i was spontaneously passing out. I could be walking along and just drop. It's called Vaso-Vagel Syncope. Here's some info on that as well as on tilt table test. I take Zoloft for my VVS and I haven't had a severe episode.

VASO-VAGEL SYNCOPE

"Vaso-vagal syncope is the medical term for a common cause of fainting. In this disorder, the nervous reflexes which control heart rate and blood pressure behave abnormally causing a drop in blood pressure and a fainting spell.

The nerves which control the heart rate and blood pressure are regulated through pressure sensors in the arteries and veins called the baroreceptors. The baroreceptors detect changes in blood pressure. These baroreceptors detect a fall in blood pressure and send signals via the nerves to increase the heart rate and constrict blood vessels bringing the blood pressure back to normal. Conversely, baroreceptors detect abnormally elevated blood pressure and send signals to slow heart rate and relax blood vessels to lower blood pressure back to normal. These reflexes are called the baroreflexes.

Vaso-vagal syncope results from an abnormality in the baroreflexes. When you stand up, the force of gravity causes some of the blood from your heart and your chest cavity to pool in your legs. This produces a slight drop in blood pressure which is detected by the baroreceptors and is adjusted through the baroreflexes. In patients with vaso-vagal syncope, after a period of standing in the upright position, baroreflex adjustments fail and blood pressure and heart rate decrease causing fainting.

Vaso-vagal syncope can be diagnosed by tilt table testing and can be prevented by treatment."

TILT TABLE TEST

"A tilt table test is a diagnostic test which is designed to evaluate fainting in patients who are susceptible to vaso-vagal syncope. When a patient tells a doctor about a fainting spell, the doctor considers a long list of causes of fainting spells and tries to determine which of those causes was responsible for the patient's fainting spell.

Sometimes, the diagnosis is evident from the patient's description of the fainting spell, or from the patient's physical examination. Laboratory tests such as blood tests and an electro-cardiogram (ECG) may also help the doctor determine the cause. More often, however, the doctor is left considering a few possibilities. In this case, further testing is performed. T

he tilt table test is a commonly used test to determine if a patient's fainting spell was caused by vaso-vagal syncope.

A tilt table test is simple. The patient is placed on a table, and intravenous line in placed into one of the veins in the arms. An intravenous line is a small tube attached to a needle placed into one of the veins. The patient is connected to a machine which records the electrocardiogram (ECG) and to a machine that measures blood pressure using a cuff wrapped around one of the fingers. The lights in the room are dimmed and the patient is asked to relax.

After a 15-minute period of rest, the table begins to tilt the patient head-up (the table includes a foot board for the patient to stand on). The patient is tilted head-up to 30o for a few minutes and then up to 600 which is nearly standing. The patient then remains in the position for up to 60 minutes. There is a doctor and/or a nurse in the room at all times and the electrocardiogram and blood pressure are continuously monitored. When a patient begins to feel symptoms of any kind, the doctor or the nurse will check the patient. Often, there are changes in the heart rate and blood pressure that indicate the cause of the patient's symptoms and the cause of the patient's fainting spells.

For example, patients who are susceptible to vaso-vagal syncope will develop a characteristic decrease in heart rate and decrease in blood pressure and they may begin to faint. Once the mechanism is clear and if the patient begins to faint, then the table is lowered back to the horizontal position which restores heart rate and blood pressure within a few seconds. Sometimes a medication called isopro-terenol (which is like adrenaline) is infused during the tilt table test."

[This Message was Edited on 09/12/2006]
  8. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

The tilt table test helps to diagnose orthostatic hypotension/syncope or dysautonomia.

Basically, I black out just about every time I stand up. It's an awful feeling but I've learned to live with it since docs never took it seriously. I never actually pass out so they blew me off.

Until now of course. And I did test positive. They bring you to the breaking point. It's generally safe but miserable.

But it's a great feeling to have documented evidence of one of my problems. Everyone's taking me a lot more seriously now.

The headache has gotten better - just a dull ache.

Thanks again for the input! And I hope I answered some questions.

Sofi