Possible bursitis from overexercise??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hi everyone! I was wondering has anyone had a bursitis like flare up in hip from overexercise? A few months ago I was on my elliptical machine and decided to go backwards on it, the sudden shift I did with my legs was a little too much, I knew when I got off the machine I was going to pay for it somehow, LOL. Anyway, the next morning, I felt a swelling over my right buttock and it started to hurt. I went to my rheumatologist and he just told me to stretch it out, so far that hasn't worked. Yesterday I had a massage with a new therapist and she said that it looked and felt like bursitis because of over doing it. It's still there and doesn't bother me too much unless I walk fast. Has anybody heard of this before? Thanks, Chelz. PS, I want to welcome any new members on the board, I haven't been on in a while. HUGS, Chelz.
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

is what it sounds like to me. I have had trouble with that in the past.
    I put a gel ice pack (any ice pack with do) on it for 20 minutes and then off for 20. On and off for at least 8 times. Then take a soak in the tub .
    A dr. told me that nerve swells and the cold shrinks it down.
    This has been my answer.
    Any time I feel a twinge in that area I grab the ice pack and hardly ever have a bad problem with it anymore.
    Good luck!
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

I really can't help you out here....but I wanna watch this post because I think I did the same thing~I was gonna ask here but since you did....Thanks! I started a mild pilates tape 3 weeks ago(maybe 4??)who's counting.lol anyway.....I"m hurting pretty bad, only in the right shoulder and into my upper back muscles~I was ok the first week or so,then WHAM! my neck/shoulder is killin me!!
    Its a good thing I have a Rhuemy appointment in the morning.I'm gonna ask her about it.My darvecet and flexeril are'nt touching this one!I wondered about bursitis too??? Hope your better soon :)
    ((hugs)),
    Tracey
  4. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Yes! I've had it in both hips. Seems to happen whenever I try to get back on the treadmill for even a few minutes (which is all I can do anyway), but my physistriat told me that I get it because my body is so out of shape. It makes injuries much easier to occur. Seems to be a way of life. I've had a few cortizone shots for it and they are the only thing that helps, that and anti-inflamitories. Of course the anti-inflamitories hurt my stomach...just the way of life these days. The cycle repeat itself again and again. This stuff is the PITS!
    H
  5. hippin

hippin New Member

Chelz, I have Greater Trochanteric Bursitis, I was walking several times a week and doing recumbent bike, have been in agony for about 4 months, do ice as much as possible, at times sore back and have had 2 cortisone shots..... I asked if more were dangerous, no they are not, just a royal pain,,,, I do not get much relief if any from them... am told that eventually it goes away, but it has been actually longer than the 4 months. did 2 weeks of Therapy,,,,, no change at all, actually made my back ache much more..... has anything helped you yet???
  6. kgg

kgg New Member

I was exercising on a nordic track. Very painful. Now, I tried to start swimming and guess what is starting again. . .
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

When I asked my Rhuemy if exersize could bring on more pain or even bursitis in us FM'ers.....her answer was no!
    Yet many of us have had it happen to us~ At least I know its not just me anymore.