possible case of meningitis .....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cinlou, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

in the school where I am employed!It has not been confirmed. They say they don't know if it is viral or bacterial.

Viral (Aseptic) Meningitis is generally less severe and resolves without specific treatment.

Bacterial can be quite severe and may result in brain damage, hearing loss, or learning disability. Bacterial meningitis is treated with antibiotics specific to the bacteria causing the infection.

Common symptoms are fever, severe headache, stiff neck, sensitivity to bright lights, drowsiness or confusion, and nausea and vomiting. Patients of any age may have seizures.

Diagnosis is made from taking fluid from the spine, and growing it to see if it is viral or bacterial.

The bacteria or virus is spread through direct contact with respiratory secretions. (saliva, sputum, or nasal mucus).

I read the symptoms and I thought how strange, I have some of these symptoms. Does it not sound like CFS and FM?
    Maybe we have some form of a mutated meningitis brewing in our brains and spinal fluid.

The child was air lifted to a trauma hospital. I have not heard anything else. I know this child gets migraines and is very alergic to chocolate. Maybe she had a severe reaction to something she ate. We can only pray...

Boy, I hope it is nothing serious. These (pardon the expression) snot nose kids can spread anything and they do.
    I love the kids, but is is so frustrating when you pick up the least little germ from them. I catch everything....knock on wood....I'll let you know if I hear anymore.

Cindy
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've had viral meningitis and it produced a headache so horrible that I could not stand. I crawled to the car to be taken to the ER. It felt as though someone were hitting me on the head with a sledgehammer. I didn't believe anyone could survive with such pain. The good news is that the viral type doesn't produce the more serious symptoms but the bad news is that they usually don't do anything for it. Perhaps nowadays, they give antivirals. It was 35 years ago that I had it.

There is a vaccine for bacterial meningitis. It is recommended for children because they pass it among themselves so easily. Every year, college students get the shots because living in dorms puts them at risk for it.

Any young child who gets sick and has a rash should be taken to the ER as that is one indication of meningitis. It can cause loss of limbs in children if not treated early.

Love, Mikie
  3. place

place New Member

At one of my schools a teacher recently passed away due to meningitis. I guess normally it does not effect someone unless it goes into the spine.
  4. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Poor kid, meningitis is both serious and terribly painful, as Mikie described.
    I also had meningitis as a young teenager, I was hospitalized for several days 7-10 or so but was sick at home for over a month during the summer. I was very sick, woke up with a headache, exactly like Mikie described as sledgehammer headache. My neck was stiff, I was throwing up, just absolutely terrible.
    My Mom was/is very medically knowlegeable and luckily she recognized the signs and got me to the ER fast. Everyone thought I was going to die but somehow I made it through. I was told I would have long term effects from the damage it did to the brain at the base of my skull, where it meets my spinal cord. I believe my FM and CFS are as a result of my meningitis.

I hope this kid is ok and will have the milder version. When I had it they didn't differentiate between bacterial and viral they called it spinal meningitis and it wasn't as common back then (early 1980s) even now I believe the statistics are only about a 1000 cases a year in US.

My prayers are with this young girl.
    Sincerely
    JL
  5. cathat31

cathat31 New Member

My daughter had bacterial when she was 5 months old, she would constantly vomit,cry, run a fever the doctors thought it was her milk we switched several times which did not help.

After about a month of constant doctor visits a friend asked me to watch how she held her head, her daughter had it and said her head was alsways tilted to the side.

My daughter was also, doing this I asked the doctor to check her for meningitis and she did have it. She spent a month and a half in intensive care.

She is now twelve and has no damage or long term effects from the meningitis.

I hope the little kid gets better.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I could not touch my chin to my chest when I had it. For several decades, if I got sick with something, my neck would feel stiff and would ache.

Just as I graduated from high school, the girl next door, who was going to be a senior in the fall, got bacterial meningitis and died. She saw a doc who thought she just had the flu and he sent her home where she died. It was very sad.

My daughter isn't keen on vaccinations for my grandson and he hasn't gotten ones for childhood illnesses which are not fatal but she did get the meningitis vaccine for him. I'm glad; it can be horrible for children.

I pray this child will be OK.

Love, Mikie
  7. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for all your replies. So many of you have been touched by this awful infection. My heart goes out to all of you.

School will be out on the 17th, so I will see what I can learn, I have heard nothing. The SIL of the lady I work with is the head district nurse so I will see what she knows.

Keep Breanna (little 2nd grader) in your prayers. Thank you all so much...
    Cindy

Cindy
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The health dept. is supposed to be immediately letting people know who had contact with this child whether she had bacterial meningitis. If they have not done this, it's possible that she has viral meningitis instead. I pray for her and I hope you do not get sick.

Love, Mikie