POSSIBLE CFS FM SHOULD I EXERCISE OR REST

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FOYBOYFOY, Jul 19, 2006.

1. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

HELLO
    I WORKED OUT 6 DAYS A WEEK TIL I GOT ILL IN FEB 2006. IM ON DISABILITY AND FEEL LIKE CRAP. MY ATHLETIC PAST WANTS TO DO LIGHT WORKOUTS AT HOME WITH AN ATTITUDE OF" THIS THING AINT GOING TO RUIN MY LIFE" SHOULD I ACTUALLY BE RESTING AT THIS POINT ??? THX FOY
  2. dleaning

dleaning New Member

I don't think anyone can tell you if you should or not. You should try it, if it is too painful, then rest. Just do what you can do, don't push yourself too hard.

Hope that helps!!

Dawn
  3. sascha

sascha Member

that is the question. like you, i had a physically active past: skiing, horseback riding, hiking.. outdoors a lot. now i've had CFIDS for over six years, and it is very hard to figure out what sort of exercise i can do. i desperately need some form of exercise.
    i found out through research and personal experience that physical exercise that is aerobic is NOT recommended/good for CFIDS sufferers. i've talked to recovered CFIDS person who said lifting weights on a very gradual program( and i mean gradual- it took her ages to build up her endurance- she was very careful not to exceed her limits then experience the crash phenomenon), seemed to be what helped get her back into close to remission.
    it's different for every person. i can bike a bit (not pushing myself at all), but i can't walk (too much pain). I rejoice when i am able to do some floor exercises that include some stretching, crunches, push-ups from my knees, back flexibility and strengthening moves.. it makes an enormous difference in my sense of well-being and sense of accomplishment when i can manage these- but some days i am too down and out to be able to. i am very gentle when i do these. i really take my time, and break up the push-ups into groups of five.
    i am finding it's crucially important for me to protect my time for myself so that i can continue as much as possible with all the things that help me take care of myself. when outside events intrude, as they have recently, i fall back into my CFIDS symptoms and need a lot of extra rest to help build back up to my operating threshold.
    this is a most interesting topic! sascha
  4. sascha

sascha Member

that is the question. like you, i had a physically active past: skiing, horseback riding, hiking.. outdoors a lot. now i've had CFIDS for over six years, and it is very hard to figure out what sort of exercise i can do. i desperately need some form of exercise.
    i found out through research and personal experience that physical exercise that is aerobic is NOT recommended/good for CFIDS sufferers. i've talked to recovered CFIDS person who said lifting weights on a very gradual program( and i mean gradual- it took her ages to build up her endurance- she was very careful not to exceed her limits then experience the crash phenomenon), seemed to be what helped get her back into close to remission.
    it's different for every person. i can bike a bit (not pushing myself at all), but i can't walk (too much pain). I rejoice when i am able to do some floor exercises that include some stretching, crunches, push-ups from my knees, back flexibility and strengthening moves.. it makes an enormous difference in my sense of well-being and sense of accomplishment when i can manage these- but some days i am too down and out to be able to. i am very gentle when i do these. i really take my time, and break up the push-ups into groups of five.
    i am finding it's crucially important for me to protect my time for myself so that i can continue as much as possible with all the things that help me take care of myself. when outside events intrude, as they have recently, i fall back into my CFIDS symptoms and need a lot of extra rest to help build back up to my operating threshold.
    this is a most interesting topic! sascha
  5. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

as a very athletic person competing in rugby and karate and regulary enjoying a good country hack out through to long distance running it was a hard thing to let go.

i didnt re evaluate i just tried to plough on until i crashed. i now do sit ups free weights long walks with the dogs and compete in dog obedience but i only do what i feel able and stop well before my limit for that day.

only do what you feel able even if that happens to be lift a can of beans but take one day at a time.

by doing that i am now able to jog with my dalmatians - not for long and not far but by being aware of my limits and listening to my body i am at least able to do somethimg i enjoy :)
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Read the excellent article that hayleycole posted about pre-emptive rest. If you don't have CFS/FM it still won't hurt you. Do gentle stretching and yoga-like things until you know for sure. If it's CFS/FM, you can't outrun it.

The best time to recover from these illnesses is at the very beginning.

Good luck to you,

Marta
  7. Momofboyz

Momofboyz New Member

Oh Yeah!!! Exactly a year ago today I was doing the hour advanced Tae Bo tapes five day a week . Then the 20 min one on Sat just for fun!!!!! I have always worked out although I have always gone thru cycles of being chunky then slim.
    But now for two months no matter how bad I feel I get down on the floor EVERY DAY w/wrist band and bo push ups from my knees. 40 every day. Then I do stretches for my legs, torso and arms. I have managed to keep my arms very muscular and toned even through this illness. I cannot begin to walk on treadmill now not even for 5 minutes. But by doing these stretches and changing my diet I loost 5 pounds!
    Hopes this helps
    Deena
  8. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT AND TIME. GOD BLESS FOY
  9. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

THANKS FOR YOU INPUT, I WILL JUST HAVE TO LISTEN TO MY BODY
    GOD BLESS FOY
  10. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

MARTA
    THANKS FOR YOUR TIME, GOD BLESS FOY
  11. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

DEENA
    THANKS FOR YOU INPUT, I WILL CONTINUE AND LISTEN TO MY BODY
    GOD BLESS FOY
  12. dononagin

dononagin New Member

My rhumie says rest for Cfs.. excercize for fibro.. OK???
    He told me walk at least 1/2 hour every other day with some simple stretching.. rest on the other days..
    You will know quickly when you overdo it as it will make you sick. I've learned if I'm scheduled for a long day at work, I know I better plan on bed rest the next day.. Listen to you body.. It's hard..
    Hugs.. Dona
  13. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I have always been very active outdoors but never had a set exercise regime.

Since I got this fatigue, though, I have not been able to get off the couch except to go to the bathroom and let the dogs out. During these episodes, I knew that I HAD to do something so I just walked out in the yard and sat down to rest before I came back in. And that usually took 2 hours to recover from. All the time thinking that I HAVE to do this in order to build up my stamina. But no matter that I did this every day, my stamina never built up. I just seemed to get worse. No pain...just pure exhaustion.

So I finally gave up and only walked out in the yard because I WANTED to and was getting tired of seeing four walls.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that exercise did not help me. I learned that I just had to let this thing run it's course and at the end of my 3 wk bout, I'd be ok again.
  14. neeniebodeenie

neeniebodeenie New Member

Hi Foy,
    Like all the posts so far, I too was very active and each year experienced a marked decrease in ability.
    The two best pieces of advice I ever received from the doctor who diagnosed my Fibro, was to get enough rest and stay active. I began taking Flexeril at night to help with sleep and also started physical therapy to tailor an exercise program that would fit my abilities.
    Since that time, I have found that if I don't do some form of stretching, strengthening, and aerobic exercise on a regular basis I end up becoming deconditioned and hurting more often. The key is to pace yourself and stay within your fitness level. When I first began physical therapy I only rode an exercise bike for 5 min and could lift only a pound. By staying with the program I was able to begin exercise on my own and continue as much as possible.
    The other key factor for me is going to a chiropractor on a regular basis. This helps me stay in alignment and reduces the some of the chronic pain. Although sometimes it really hurts, in the long run I actually feel better. He has seen me through soooooo many relapses that I am confident it is the right approach to use.
    I hope some of these tips help you!!!! Hang in there.
  15. tejanya

tejanya New Member

then add time to it. i walk about 20 - 45 mins three times a week. i take water and wear a watch. us fibro people loose track of time, so it helps to check every lil bit. when you start to feel worn some, do 5 more mins and quit before you over do your system. you may still feel like going but you are pushing yourself into a flare-up later. do not go yo-yoing. ifeel great today, tomorrow yuck, rest few days, but not total rest and go at it again before your body is ready.
    sometimes the walking helps the pain in hips, knee, legs, back. someitmes it doesn't. but i try anyway.
  16. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Foyboyfoy!

Exercise only as you are able to without crashing. (Making yourself feel worse.)

Stretching saved me when I was really sick.

Stretch a lot. Lift weights as you are able. Add aerobic exercise very very carefully as you get better.

And sleep as much as you can.

The trick is getting rid of everything else in life except exercise and rest. Those two things will help you get well.

Forebearance
  17. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP GOD BLESS FOY
  18. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

THANKS THATS INTERESTING GOD BLESS FOY
  19. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

NEE
    THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND INPUT. GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS FOY
  20. FOYBOYFOY