possible deluted my morphine at [Parmacy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by campbeck97, Sep 22, 2010.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi all i went to my dr tody as i have been in so much pain and like i said in an earlier post itnmorphine was like taking water as far as pain help. my dr seems to think that my liquid morphine has been getting deluted at the pharmacy(of course she said it just could be a mistake but wanted to switch me to another pharmacy and also to pill form instead of liquid of equal dose. well i took one of the pills this afternoon and i felt like crap right away, kinda heavy chest feeling weird feeling. i dont know if its because i have been geting a deluted dose for rhe las 2 months and the exact same dose in pill form is just to much to quickly. now i dont know what to do, she gave me 120 of the pills to start but i hate the way my chest feels or maybe its just anxiety about starting a new med. anyway here i sit in pain as its time for another dose and im afraid to take it .wish i could trash it all but not likely as she wants tp add mpre as soon as i can tolerate this.my legs are killing me tonight. wHAT NOW/??
  2. simonedb

simonedb Member

could you break the tablet in half and start out slow and see how you feel?
  3. thenewme

thenewme New Member

Please do not ever cut your morpine in half, this could be very dangerous. Make sure you read all the info on your med from the pharmacy. It could be that this dose is to high for you, if you still have these symptoms please check with your do before continuing your med's. I take morphine and it really helps control my pain but we are all diferent. I hope you feel better soon.
  4. tig519

tig519 Member

Funny- my doctor told me this just the other day, although it wasn't really relevant to our conversation, I think she just wanted to share the tidbit. She said that you should never cut extended release tablets. But meds that are not time released are ok to split.

Check the medication disclosure info. If it's extended release, cutting and taking would result in getting that dosage all at once, and could result in an OD. So as the other poster stated, extremely dangerous.
  5. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

thanks for replying to my post, the pills i have are not the long acting but immediate release kind which are suppose tp be ok to split. i have in the past been on ms contin extend release and yes it would be very dangerous to chew or split.im feeling some better taking about 3/4 tablet now have slowly been increasing my dose, by taking 1/4 +1/2 tab etc. take care
  6. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

hi, my morphine pills are ok to split they are not extend release but immediate release and my dr and also the pharmacy said it was ok. thanks for answering my post and yes it would be very dangerous to chew or break in any way the extend release kind.thanks for your concern and God bless.
  7. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

thank,s and yes i am splitting the pills and seem to be doing better now on the smaller pieces, will slowly work up to full dose. thanks for your taking the time to answer my post!
  8. thenewme

thenewme New Member

I am happy that you are starting to feel a bit better, hopefully this continues, good luck.
  9. simonedb

simonedb Member

hey glad to hear you are working upto it, thats so common with cfs/fm to need to start out with smaller doses
    glad that you knew the dif between extended release etc it never dawned on me you had that kind

good luck!
  10. skikat

skikat New Member

you never said how much is in the tablet. i take 100 mg. 2x a day. they want me to take it 2x a day but i wont unless the pain is just too severe. but i also have to take percocet and xanax with it along with powerful muscle relaxers. i have the breathing problem that you seem to be talking about , but always have had. thus, the xanax. hopw this at least gives you some info. wish i could help more./ski
  11. skikat

skikat New Member

tig is right. never cut a tablet that is timed released. also i was told that if a pill has a cut on one side that you can separate them but if thhere is no line in the middle, DO NOT CUT IT!/SKI