Possible MS diagnosis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Eva2005, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Eva2005

Eva2005 New Member

It has been awhile since I have posted on this board. I have been in the hospital. Remember the mini strokes they thought I was having. Well I had an MRI on my brain and guess what was on it, lesions. In 1990 I was told that I might have MS when I started to drag my right foot. I have had these horrible flare ups that effected everything including my speech. Well My PCP made an appointment with a neurologist and did not tell me why just that there was a change on the recent MRI. I have been having headaches like someone was hitting me on top of my head with a mallet. Well I went for my therapy with my new therapist. He asked me do you feel depressed ?. I said some. He said do you think that you are going to die. I said well you go look at my MRI and let me know if it is all in my head. He left the room. He was gone for a half hour. I seen him at the computer in next office. I over heard him say white matter. I knew then the lesions that the doctor was waiting for all these years had finally shown up. My therapist returned with a Doctor who said I hear that you are having severe pain in the pelvic girdle area and I think we need to block the nerves. Well we're on cymbalta. I was high for the first four days. Wow and no hangover. I am having more problems now though. Last week I was in the hospital with loosing the feeling in my legs both feet had foot drop, and right arm was gone. I had horrible speech again. They sent me for everything on the MRI scale,I was in the machine for 2 hours, and requested a Lumbar Puncture. Well my neurologist seen me improving with a bed side commode and a walker and said that she thinks that it is not MS. She is going to watch me for awhile. I told her that the other doctors had been waiting all these years for the lesions to show up. Did they not appear like they were the problem She said I have lesions bigger in my brain. I could not believe what she just said to me. Well I left hospital. Was able to walk for 4 days. And now I have a walker for when my right hand works. And when it doesn't I have a Brand New wheelchair at the end of my bed. I can't believe that I have been going through this for fifteen years. I have headaches every day. I am on darvacet now almost every day to be able to see straight. I know that it is MS she is just waiting for the Lumbar Puncture to prove it. The discharge paper from hospital stated that Outpatient LP to diagnosis MS. That was all I needed to know. Well sorry so long I have been in a bad way and have missed everyone. It does feel good to be back. Have missed you all. Love Eva
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I'm really sorry for what you have had to go through. I hope you get a diagnosis soon. Somehow that helps, no matter what it is. Let us know after the LP.

In the meantime, be good to yourself. This is prayer night so prayers will be going up for you as well as others.

Take Care.
    Kathy.
  3. sheried

sheried New Member

I am sorry to hear that you may have MS. I know you will feel better with a dx though.

I went through the tests (MRI, LP, all the other tests) and it was neg. Only to find out later that it was Parkinson's. It hit me like a ton of bricks. But later I felt so much better knowing what it was and being able to take meds to help the symptoms.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,
    Sherie
  4. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I am sorry for all that you have been through. My sister has MS, has lesions, and does have times that she is able to walk without assistance. Other times she uses a cane or a walker. She has had periods of time where she can't move at all, but always recovered. Those bad times are now getting farther apart.

I am saying this not to scare you, but rather to let you know that she has experienced some of what you have. She was able to finally get a diagnosis and start the correct treatment.

I hope you get the help you need.
  5. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

Author Amy Tan ("Joy Luck Club" etc.) developed late stage Lyme disease before it was diagnosed. Along with the typical symptoms, she had terrible hallucinations. Later, the hallucinations were found to be a result of mini-seizures.

Her brain scans also showed brain lesions. She had a difficult time walking and even thought she might have to use a wheelchair at one point.

Anyway, I'm just curious how your treatment for Lyme is going. If the treatment hasn't been effective, it's possible that the disease has progressed, which could be causing your symptoms. I'm not saying that that is the case, but it might be worth looking into.

You can also do a web search on "Amy Tan" and "Lyme." She has since recovered quite a bit and has given a few interviews and speeches related to Lyme Disease. She also writes about her experiences with Lyme in the last chapter of her memoir, "The Opposite of Fate."

I wish you all the best toward a proper diagnosis and recovery.
  6. Eva2005

Eva2005 New Member

My neurologist is telling me that the PCP needs to do the Lumbar puncture with fluoroscope. Thats xray to enter the needle to retain the fluid instead of just poking into the spine. She does not want to do it because of the coumadin. She told me to contact my PCP and have her do it as a out patient. My PCP told me she felt that it could be Lyme's to the brain. ORRRRR it could be MS. I asked her so how do we tell the difference. She said that she had to make some calls and that she wanted my permission to speak with my neurologist. I said be my guest. Being her lesions seem to be more important then mine. Yep, I told my PCP what the neurologist said to me. She could not believe it. I said it was worse she said in front of three students and a resident. She will be getting back with me soon. I am now up to 60 mg of Cymalta and I love it... I have lost 11 pounds and with a daily vitamin I have been able to think a little better. Today I got up to fast though and the Vertigo kicked in. Well can't hold hands up any longer. Love ya all and try to read every thing on post when I can get online. Praying every Thursday for everyone.