POSSIBLE NEW MED FOR FIBRO

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CATLADY912, May 30, 2003.

1. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

I WENT TO SEE MY RHEUMY YESTERDAY. I ASKED HIM IF THERE WAS ANY MEDICATIONS BEING TRYED FOR FIBRO. HE SAID YES. THAT THERE IS A MEDICATION THAT IS BEING TESTED RIGHT NOW THAT THEY USE FOR PARKINSON'S DISEASE. IT SEEMS THAT IT MIGHT HELP FOR FIBRO. HE IS GOING TO PUT HIS PATIENTS ON IT AS SOON AS IT COMES OUT. I THOUGHT THAT WAS WONDERFUL NEWS. HE WAS REALLY EXCITED ABOUT THIS HIMSELF. I DID NOT ASK HIM THE NAME BUT HE WAS TALKING AS IF IT WAS NOT TO LONG BEFORE IT COMES OUT. I HOPE SO. BUT I WANTED TO PASS THIS INFO ON TO YOU SO YOU COULD KEEP YOUR EARS OPENED ALSO TO THE NEWS. ]

GENTLE HUGS,
    JANICE
  2. horsegal

horsegal New Member

I see my rheumy (sp?) too. I see him the 2nd week in June so I'll be sure to ask.
  3. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I have heard that they have a study going right now and a possible med for fibomyalgia soon to be out too. I think it is by Phizer or what ever they call that drug company. But my Neurologist put me on a medication a few weeks ago for the restless leg problem that makes sleep so poor for me. The med does help me to get more sleep and it has no side effects except for nausea ugg. But when i got the info on it from the pharmacy it stated they use it for parkinsons disease. So, let's hope they are coming closer to better treatment for us dealing with this DD.
    Take care,
    Joannie
  4. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

So you remember the name of the medication that they put you on.? I would like to look it up also. Thanks

Gentle hugs,
    Janice
  5. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

Yes I have the med name. It is long and i can't even pronounce it so good luck. I don't believe that it is a generic but I can't be for sure. If you do a web search on it though it will come up with this name and the actual brand.

It is--- carbidopa/lavodopa

Wow ha try to say that one :)
    good luck.
    Joannie
  6. jka

jka New Member

i'm on mirapex right now.it's used for parkinsons.my rhumy has had me on it for probably 6-8 monthes.the first thing to go away isrls.then you start sleeping better. the pain starts to back off next.it does increase your adranel levels for awhile.that can be a little tough to get through-but is well worth it!my doc says he has i very high succes rate with this med.i've hafd a few problems and had to go off them for awhie.i got to where i couldn't sleep.so we found a combo of meds that worked for sleeping and i started back on mirapex.i sure was glad.all the muscle and joint pain came flooding back in.it sure is tough dealing with pain when it's been gone for awhile.if this is the drug your doc is talking about-it works!i've had a couple of other peoples doc get hold of mine for the protecall(sp).he and a doc on east coast are the only ones who have been using this drug.
    hope this info helps!

kathy c
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

CARBIDOPA/LEVODOPA ORAL
    Patient Handout

LEVODOPA WITH CARBIDOPA - ORAL

The following information is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of your physician, pharmacist or other healthcare professional. It should not be construed to indicate that use of the drug is safe, appropriate, or effective for you. Consult your healthcare professional before using this drug.

Common Brand Name(s):
    Atamet, Sinemet

Uses
    This combination medication is used to treat symptoms of Parkinson's disease.

How to Take this Medication
    Take this drug as directed. It may take a few weeks before the full benefits of this medication are observed. If you are changing from plain levodopa to this drug, levodopa must be discontinued for 8 hours before taking this combination drug. If stomach upset occurs, this drug may be taken with food or milk. Consult with your doctor.

Side Effects
    May cause drowsiness, dizziness, headache, loss of appetite, stomach upset, nausea, vision changes, or trembling of the hands. These should subside as your body adjusts to the medication. If these symptoms persist or become bothersome, inform your doctor. Notify your doctor if you develop: vomiting, difficulty swallowing, difficulty urinating, uncontrollable movements (especially twitching of the eyelid), chest pain, an irregular heartbeat, skin rash, mood or mental changes. May cause darkening of the urine or sweat. This is not harmful and will disappear when the medication is stopped. May cause dizziness especially when rising quickly from a seated or lying position. Change positions slowly and be careful on stairs. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

Precautions
    This medication can cause false results with urine glucose testing in diabetics. Blood glucose testing should be performed instead. Tell your doctor if you have: glaucoma, history of skin cancer, breathing problems, heart disease, kidney disease, liver disease, endocrine disease, ulcers, depression, blood disorders. This drug should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor. Levodopa appears in breast milk. Do not take this medication if you are breast-feeding.

Interactions
    Inform your doctor if you are taking: medicine to treat depression or anxiety ("anti-depressants" or Valium-like drugs), MAO inhibitors (e.g., furazolidone, linezolid, phenelzine, selegiline, tranylcypromine), phenytoin (Dilantin), iron vitamins, medication to treat high blood pressure (hypertension), other drugs to treat Parkinson's disease, any other prescription or non- prescription drugs. Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.

Overdose
    If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include irregular heartbeat and muscle spasms.

Notes
    Be sure your doctor knows your complete medical history and the medications you are taking.

Missed Dose
    If you miss a dose, take as soon as remembered and take any remaining doses for that day at evenly spaced intervals. Do not "double-up" the dose to catch up.

Storage
    Store at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom.

8. lea

lea Member

Hi Kathy:

Please let me know, if you know, what state this doctor in the East coast is in?

Also, what is the dosage of Mirapex are you on?

thank you in advance
    best,
    lea
  9. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

my fibro doc mentioned some things he thinks are going to be helpful for us: Provigil, Gabatril, and Requip or Mirapex.

Seems like what we end up doing is taking a drug to help us sleep, one to help with pain, one to keep us awake, etc. and on and on. I'll have to ask him about Levodopa next time. Keep us posted! Hugs,
    Hayley