Possible problem w Limbic System/Middle Brain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hermitlady, Sep 29, 2008.

1. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

My PCP doc thinks I may have some problem w my Limbic System, possibly a seizure disorder. Apparently the LS (middle brain) controls emotions and several other things that could be contributing to my Depression, FM, CFS.

This is one area that I've never read much about. I've been searching for further info, so I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows anything about it. I have to have a sleep deprived EEG to check it out. I hope I'll be able to keep myself awake!

I've had such a rough time dealing w Depression and stress for the past 10 yrs or so. My D is pretty much medication resistant, it never goes away w meds, only reduces a little. I never used to get so anxious about things, but I guess it's all part of these dds.

Dr said LS is the area of the brain that deals w stress, so if you have problems coping w stressors and controlling anger and other emotions (that's me!), it may show up on the EEG as abnormal activity. I think something like that would be treated w anti-seizure meds from what he told me.

Any further info would be appreciated!

2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Darn, I thought I'd get some replies by now. Maybe the night "crew" will know something....have a good evening everyone. H
  3. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

Ok Hermit Lady, I have a question. What are your symptoms, and why does your doc think you have a seizure disorder. Do you have actual seizures? My neuro said she didn't know if I had a seizure disorder or not. I have a lot of neurological problems, but they are undiagnosed.

Also, Fibromyalgia patients have a much lower threshold for stress, and they tend to get sick, as soon as there as too much stress. A "normal" person can handle much more stress than we can.

I don't think I have trouble controlling anger, but I tend to feel very sad, sometimes.

If I were you, however, I might get a second opinion. Also, is your doc a neurologist?
  4. efly

efly New Member

Hi Hermit Lady,
    If you look at Ashok Guptas work [you can google him]his theory is based on abnormalities in the Amygdala,part of the limbic system. It draws from the work done by a Neuroscientist Dr Joseph Ledoux... Its really very interesting stuff... all parts of the brain which we didnt have much of an idea about there function. Maybe show your Dr the Article. Good luck efly