Possible Warning about Epson Salts & Peroxide Baths ?????????????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Feb 1, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

I know that everyone is always talking about the epson salts & peroxide baths.

I have a concern about these baths (keep reading).

I think the recipe for this bath is 3 cups of epson salts and 3 bottles of hydrogen peroxide to a tub full of the warmest bath water that you can stand.

Note: The hydrogen peroxide which you find at your drug store counter is 3% concentration and is fine for this bath and external use, but contains preservatives and stabilizers which shoud NOT be ingested orally. Thus you can use this to add to your bath water but should NOT attempt to drink it.

This bath is supposed to invigorate you, relieve pain, stimulate your mind, and reduce stiffness and soreness like no other treatment.

Some like to do this early in the day because it can be very invigorating and you won't want to go to bed right afterward. And .. I've read where some take this bath right before bedtime because it causes weakness. Shirl has said in the past that she always goes to bed afterwards for at least a half hour.

This bath is taken by many when they are in a flare, or just tired and need a little help. Its not a cure, but it is temporary relief. It is supposed to help sore muscles from over work or exercise, too.

NOW, FOR MY THOUGHTS ......

THIS IS JUST SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT IF YOU TAKE THIS BATH:

* After one of these baths, drink PLENTY of water to rehydrate yourself. (the salts may draw the water out of you)

* Ask your doctor prior to taking one of these, especially if you have blood pressure problems or kidney problems.

* (Soaking in all of the salts may dehydrate you, therefore, leaving you dizzy, weak, may eliminate needed potassium from your system which could affect your blood pressure and/or your kidneys.)

I don't know for certain the affects of taking these baths, that is why I feel each person who has medical problems should ask his/her doctor prior to engaging in these baths--just to make sure that they will not jeopardize one's health.

Thinking of you,
    Janet

2. juliejo

juliejo New Member

Thank's Janet for the advice above.
    I have stopped having Epsom salt bath's too as they make me so weak afterward's i feel worse.
    I agree about the drinking of water afterward's though as that's a must.
    I told my Gp when i saw him last and he told me just a good old soak in the bath is the same.
    As i have other medical problem's as well he told me to stop.
    They were'nt helping the pain anyway or the muscle stiffness.
    If anything it was worse the next day.
    Mind you if this work's for you i am pleased as we are all so different with this illness.

Juliejox
  3. sues1

sues1 New Member

I think it is 2 C. epsom salts and one bottle of peroxide and hot water.

This is personal but I do not know how ele to say this.....wouldn't that be harsh on the vagina? I have not tried it for that reason.......I really would like to know, some would get inside? Not a lot, but could create problems?

OK....I am a little embarassed now, but I want to know.
  4. snowsix

snowsix New Member

I have vulvodynia and I put baby diaper rash cream on before the bath and stay only 15 min because it will make it sore.

I enjoy the baths now and have them daily when in a flare.

hope that helps alittle
    snowsix
  5. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I can't take the Epson Salts & Peroxide Baths either. They made me feel flu like and it wasn't good. I felt light headed, weak, hot, nauseated and even itchy.

I tried them 3 or 4 times and each time it was the same, so now I just stick to a nice warm bath with my favorite soothing bubbles, etc.
  6. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

After I'm finished, as the tub is emptying I run the warm water and rinse real well "there" and all over and haven't had any trouble.

Sandy
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

I have been concerned about these baths since I read about them here, and have never taken one myself because I take so many heart and blood pressure meds.

Has anyone who has high b/p ever asked their doc about them? Just wondering.

Janet
  8. JuliannaG

JuliannaG New Member

quote: "Note: The hydrogen peroxide which you find at your drug store counter is 3% concentration and is fine for this bath and external use, but contains preservatives and stabilizers which shoud NOT be ingested orally. Thus you can use this to add to your bath water but should NOT attempt to drink it."

What about the above which would be released into the steam and breathed through the nose?
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

wANTED TO ADD that also we should always carefully wash our between the leg areas very well after as the epsom salts can irritate the urethra and even affect the vaginal secretions. My doc said use a tampon when taking these baths and swimming and remove it immediately afterwards then wash well.

One can get cystitis.

Love Anne C
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

Anne, very good info!

I personally never plan to take one of these baths! Someone had wanted the recipe for them to take one, so I posted it again.

I have high blood pressure problems and do not want to soak in all the salt. (Soaking in all of the salts may dehydrate you, therefore, leaving you dizzy, weak, may eliminate needed potassium from your system which could affect your blood pressure and/or your kidneys.)

I also have lupus which affects my skin. It is so dry that I also think the salt would just dry it out more!!

JuliannaG, I'm sorry that I don't know the answer to your question regarding the safety of breathing through the nose the steam which would be released into the air (with the 3% hydrogen peroxide). That would probably be a question for your doctor.

Hugs,
    Janet

11. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I start my day with a hot bath using sea salts with
    lavendar oil.Gets my muscles working.

Jlh. I have a question for you. How does going to a therapist and shrink look for applying for social security disability?

I am at the point where money is a problem and once a month to a therapist id fine with me. The shrink, gave me the dx and just hands out meds.(which I could care less about and dont take them)

What re you view points on this subject?

I am at my wits end. I am still fighting long term disability and THEY seem to think I need to go once a week.

But then they use what you say in sessions agains you. SO that stinks too

thank you
    K
  12. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I also am fighting LTD .And anytime they told me I had to see a certain doctor ,..I would tell them to send me a letter with that request in it........I than called them after I got the letter and informed them that if they requested it they needed to pay for it.....They did and still do......

Sue
  13. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

they never told me which Dr's to see.But yeah. GREAT idea.
    I did finally go to one of the best in the country.
    So lets see if the jerks give HIM a hassle!!!! As he takes no crap from anyone..Appealing in a week or so.

K
  14. berrytired

berrytired New Member

Isn't this what they recommend after a massage? to relieve toxins from the body?