Post a cheap craft you do....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beadlady, May 16, 2010.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Big Mama posted one recently making critters from clay.

I work with beads--mostly acrylic beads since they are cheaper. I started out making Christmas ornaments from beads, shells & other misc items--now I am making decorations to hang in a window.

I've learned not to worry about it being perfect--I figure if its perfect it is not hand made.

I don't sell them, because I enjoy making them and giving them to my family & friends. I call it my "Therapy". Some days I am am hurting sooo bad and I don't think I can even pick up a bead, but working on a project helps to get my mind off the pain.

I find alot of my supplies at yard sales and thrift stores and I have traded supplies too.

2. victoria

victoria New Member

my friend was doing assemblages/collages with found materials -

She'd go to yard sales etc, even cut up her old wedding dress (well she was divorced at that point lol), people gave her stuff etc. I worked with her re: how to do casts as well and how to do them on faces. She did some really neat stuff. I got her to enter a couple of pieces in an 'outsider' exhibition at a gallery in Chicago, and both were accepted :)

Which makes me think about all the plaster casts I have of kids from my son's 2nd grade class, not everybody wanted them (amazingly). I really want to cast them into something more permanent and do 'something' with them. Yes I brought them with me to Mexico, LOL, there's only about 10 of them - such sweet faces.

I was trained in fine art, so cheap for me is doing simple pencil or pen/ink drawings, maybe a bit of watercolor wash. It's quite amazing how you really don't need much in the way of expensive things to makeor 'do' art.

speaking of clay, just found someone giving classes very cheaply, locally, I may sign up!
  3. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

See? All these talented and creative ppl here! I havent got a creative bone in my body. In the 70's I did macrame and needlepoint. In the 80's I sewed SIMPLE dresses and short sets for my girls. Ive kinda done a little of several things but I got bored easily and had a lot of half finished stuff. Two yrs ago I bought a book on making beaded jewellery. Thats as far as I got. Now I love photography and Im not half bad. But that also means Im not half good either lol. I do have several awesome pics that I am proud of though. I like to take pics of lightning in particular and "action" shots of my son at games. Id LOVE to paint. Always wanted to. Whoever said pisces are creative was smoking something lol.
  4. quanked

quanked Member

For some odd reason I like to cover things with paper/fabric and whatever else might strike me at the moment.

Have you ever noticed how sturdy some shoe boxes can be? I just hate throwing them away. So I have taken to covering them. I used to use wrapping paper--I collect paper that attracts me--but have gotten into tearing stuff out old magazines, catalogs, other periodicals, etc. Then I use them as gift boxes or I use for storing some of my own stuff.

I wanted to decorate a paper bag to use for trash in my bedroom. When I finished the bag I thought it was much too nice to use for trash, lol.

I love the way it turned out. I used tares from seed catalogs, political articles, scraps of unusual wrapping paper and tissue, a couple of stickers, a beautiful photo of my granddaughter, some crocheted chains that I chained out of really glitzy yarn in gorgeous colors and more. I even used a little decoration a friend of mine crocheted out of cotton thread and some beads. I find it interesting and pleasing to look at. Just noit sure what to do with it. I sprayed it with a no gloss acrylic for a finish that will protect it.

Other than glue there was no cost beyond the finish. It was a brown bag from the grocery store, tears from catalogs that I cannot seem to stop from being delivered to me and old magazines and periodicals that we get at no cost. Old magazines can be gotten for free from the library and other sources.

I have lots of ideas but not so much energy. I can become a bit obsessive when working on something. However it does take my mind off my pain and discomforts, my nowhere life and other things I do not want to think about : )

5. paulac7

paulac7 Member

I have enough quilts for 15 people, but I still keep making more!! People are forever giving me fabric chunks, as they know I sew--the last donation was 2 huge boxes full, and there was actual yardage in those ones!!

So basically my only outlay is thread, and maybe some batting, as I make my own bindings, patterns, etc.

Some neat ideas posted here--I like the idea of covering boxes and bags, also, but using the glue, I would have a NOSY Siamese cat stuck to my projects instead of the intended items.....